Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:17:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There was something...have you read about the big bang?

I don't think you have

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The majority of the science community believes in the Big Bang.

This can be seen by the measuring the expansion of the universe and by the light waves appearing redder.

Thus, pre Big Bang, there is nothing. And by nothing, we mean absolutely nothing.

Post Big Bang you have the universe and everything in it.

Not sure why you are even trying to debate this?
There was something...have you read about the big bang?

I don't think you have

Feel free to point me towards it, but I hope you are not referring to the cosmic soup.

Again, before the Big Bang, there is nothing. As in, not anything.

That is accepted by most of scientist.

That is why atheists have hung their hopes on cosmic crunch theory in order to erase a finite universe.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:21:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Some pretty horrible shit happened to my family recently and someone who felt they were trying to be kind gave my wife an audible book on the Bible. I don't know the name of it or from what angle it is coming from but it has given her a crisis of faith.

I'm an atheist, but she knows that I'm well versed on most of the religions because I didn't take it lightly when I was younger. It was my soul after all. She came to me a couple of nights ago bawling crying her eyes out because this book was telling her things that she didn't know and had never been taught in church. She is just full blown crisis of faith.

So here I am as an atheist having to explain to her that this is perfectly natural and that every person who ever lived has gone through something similar including Jesus himself while on the cross. I have said many times most Christians have no idea what they actual believe and I know that might sound harsh, but one of the things that upset her the most was finding out that people that die don't go to Heaven immediately. This is something she had heard her entire life. I explain that it was in fact biblical and that people who have died are not in Heaven according to the Bible and I tried my best to explain that to her and reassure her that just because she is having these feelings now doesn't mean she won't go to Heaven because according to the Bible the way to Heaven is a belief in Jesus being the son of God and that he died on the cross as redemption for your sins.

I posted some pretty personal shit there to underscore than there is only one way in. Through Jesus. There is no flexibility or changes in the system if we find some new information. Would you agree?

Now how about science? How rigid is science in it's "faith"? It is literally some scientist saying "I think this is true" and every scientist on Earth tries to prove it is wrong repeatedly. Did you realize that is how science works?

Do you see the massive difference in the two?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It isn't snarky. I do have faith

Atheists can't seem to admit their belief requires faith

Some pretty horrible shit happened to my family recently and someone who felt they were trying to be kind gave my wife an audible book on the Bible. I don't know the name of it or from what angle it is coming from but it has given her a crisis of faith.

I'm an atheist, but she knows that I'm well versed on most of the religions because I didn't take it lightly when I was younger. It was my soul after all. She came to me a couple of nights ago bawling crying her eyes out because this book was telling her things that she didn't know and had never been taught in church. She is just full blown crisis of faith.

So here I am as an atheist having to explain to her that this is perfectly natural and that every person who ever lived has gone through something similar including Jesus himself while on the cross. I have said many times most Christians have no idea what they actual believe and I know that might sound harsh, but one of the things that upset her the most was finding out that people that die don't go to Heaven immediately. This is something she had heard her entire life. I explain that it was in fact biblical and that people who have died are not in Heaven according to the Bible and I tried my best to explain that to her and reassure her that just because she is having these feelings now doesn't mean she won't go to Heaven because according to the Bible the way to Heaven is a belief in Jesus being the son of God and that he died on the cross as redemption for your sins.

I posted some pretty personal shit there to underscore than there is only one way in. Through Jesus. There is no flexibility or changes in the system if we find some new information. Would you agree?

Now how about science? How rigid is science in it's "faith"? It is literally some scientist saying "I think this is true" and every scientist on Earth tries to prove it is wrong repeatedly. Did you realize that is how science works?

Do you see the massive difference in the two?

There is no way to heaven but through Christ.

This is a real trigger point for atheist.

Hell is misunderstood, as I’m sure you know, given you are well versed in the Bible.

Hell is just separation from God. Something atheists will be quite comfortable with I suspect.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:21:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I don’t know.

Nobody actually knows.

Various people believe various things.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:21:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't need to answer it when anything a thumper can't answer for a non-believer falls under "the lord works in mysterious ways" or " because god gave man free will".
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:22:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Feel free to point me towards it, but I hope you are not referring to the cosmic soup.

That is why atheists have hung their hopes on cosmic crunch theory in order to erase a finite universe.
View Quote
I know as much about the beginning of the universe as you, absolutely nothing
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:28:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The same way you answer where god came from.
View Quote

Best question to ever ask a Christian.  This is where are faith and personal relationship with Jesus Christ answers that. You would only understand if you were a Christian.  I honestly appreciate this question, because this is the answer where we say he is the Alpha and Omega, the First and the Last, He has always been, He is the author and the Creator of all things
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:30:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You just said that there could have been something before the Bing Bang.

Everything we know about the universe goes against that assertion.

It’s widely accepted that the universe sprang into existence and a tremendous amount of  energy was released about 13.8 billion years ago.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:31:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You just said that there could have been something before the Bing Bang.

Everything we know about the universe goes against that assertion.

It's widely accepted that the universe sprang into existence and a tremendous amount of  energy was released about 13.8 billion years ago.
View Quote
This circular argument is pointless.
Good night
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:33:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What denomination are you? I’d love to find a local church similar to yours where I can get some scholarly insights on the origin of the universe, and see how much better educated on the subject your average churchgoer is than all these damn YouTube watching atheists.
View Quote

Jumping to conclusions and forcing everything through your filter is probably why this stuff confuses you.
All athlete arguments boil down to your refusal to consider anything you can't understand yourself, and that's exactly the mind set of the average mid evil peasant.

Atheists seriously expect people to believe Bill Maher and Noam Chomsky are towering intellects but G.K Chesterton and Thomas Aquinas were morons. But deep down you know better, why else would you pit yourself against unspecified churchgoers

The origin of the universe was spontaneous event that systematically developed into everything, in exactly the order a 4,000+ year old book said it did.
I wonder what the scientific probability of an ancient book being routinely vindicated is

Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:33:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Best question to ever ask a Christian.  This is where are faith and personal relationship with Jesus Christ answers that. You would only understand if you were a Christian.  I honestly appreciate this Christian, because this is the answer where we say he is the Alpha and Omega, the First and the Last, He has always been, He is the author and the Creator of all things
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best question to ever ask a Christian.  This is where are faith and personal relationship with Jesus Christ answers that. You would only understand if you were a Christian.  I honestly appreciate this Christian, because this is the answer where we say he is the Alpha and Omega, the First and the Last, He has always been, He is the author and the Creator of all things

When you think about the age of this biblical text, it’s almost mind blowing when science confirms it thousands of years later.

[1] In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
[2] And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
[3] And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:35:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
All of modern science points to a finite past.

Thus, time and space had a beginning.

In an Atheistic worldview, how does one get a beginning to the universe?

It seems apparent there needs to be a causal event, “Big Bang” theory, but before time and space existed, how does one get said causal event?

It would seem that something would need to exist beyond time and space to create the universe.

School me atheists.
View Quote

How do you know the Universe had a beginning?   Maybe it's always existed.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:38:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Jumping to conclusions and forcing everything through your filter is probably why this stuff confuses you.
All athlete arguments boil down to your refusal to consider anything you can't understand yourself, and that's exactly the mind set of the average mid evil peasant.

Atheists seriously expect people to believe Bill Maher and Noam Chomsky are towering intellects but G.K Chesterton and Thomas Aquinas were morons. But deep down you know better, why else would you pit yourself against unspecified churchgoers

The origin of the universe was spontaneous event that systematically developed into everything, in exactly the order a 4,000+ year old book said it did.
I wonder what the scientific probability of an ancient book being routinely vindicated is

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What denomination are you? I’d love to find a local church similar to yours where I can get some scholarly insights on the origin of the universe, and see how much better educated on the subject your average churchgoer is than all these damn YouTube watching atheists.

I wasn’t jumping to conclusions, simply seeking a confirmation of what I already suspected. Thank you for that. You have little interest in an actual conversation, and merely want to portray yourself at an elevated position in which you do not actually reside.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:38:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

That theory was abandoned by science decades ago.
See my earlier comment on how out of date atheist augments are.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:39:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All of modern science points to a finite past.

Thus, time and space had a beginning.

In an Atheistic worldview, how does one get a beginning to the universe?

It seems apparent there needs to be a causal event, “Big Bang” theory, but before time and space existed, how does one get said causal event?

It would seem that something would need to exist beyond time and space to create the universe.

School me atheists.

I’ve answered this already in the thread.

But…

Imagine time as a series of events.

If there were and infinite number of events before today, how would you ever arrive at today? There would always be an event proceeding today’s event.

It’s easy to picture infinity mathematically.

Metaphysically however, infinity becomes absurd when put into practice.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:41:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I wasn’t jumping to conclusions, simply seeking a confirmation of what I already suspected. Thank you for that.
View Quote

Self generated validation, typical atheist closed loop thinking.
Everything people say proves you right, so you never have to be wrong or even deal with specifics.

Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:42:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Everything people say proves you right, so you never have to be wrong or even deal with specifics.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wasn’t jumping to conclusions, simply seeking a confirmation of what I already suspected. Thank you for that.

Not everything people say, just the stupid shit you say.

Like I edited above, if your intent to come out swinging and talking down to people was an attempt to portray yourself as a highly intelligent person, you’ve failed.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have rituals to prepare for.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:45:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Incorrect.

Let’s rephrase.

What caused there to be something, instead of nothing.
View Quote

I'm no scientist but I've read, somewhere, that under
the right conditions (?) "nothing can" split into component
parts matter/anti-matter and then Bob's your Uncle.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:46:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Notice not one atheist has provided a theory, outside of the cosmic crunch theory (where the atheist was unable or unwilling to explain an infinite universe through successive addition) as to how we all ended up on this rock.

This is how it is in higher education.

Full of liberal atheists with little to no theories as to how everything started and how Genesis 1 from a 2700 year old text can be so accurate.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:47:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That which has been asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But you're adamant it wasn't created

How do you know that?

That which has been asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Denying Christianty because it can't be proved and embracing a belief that equally can't be proved isn't logical

Agnostic is at least logical to me
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:48:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Incorrect.

Let’s rephrase.

What caused there to be something, instead of nothing.

Confusion of terms.

Matter is not nothing. As in, not anything.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:49:31 PM EDT
[#21]
If God(s) are real, where did they come from?  Who made them?  What was here before them?
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:50:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Denying Christianty because it can't be proved and embracing a belief that equally can't be proved isn't logical

View Quote

LoL. Ok.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:50:39 PM EDT
[#23]
First of all it depends on the definition of universe, which changes depend on who you talk to and their usage of the word. For my philosophical purposes, I take universe to mean anything that we can detect. This may conflict with scientific definitions of the word universe, but I believe the scientific definition of the word may be too limiting when used in the realm of philosophy discussing ultimate origins (from a philosophical standpoint, does it really matter if there is one universe, or many within a "multi-verse"? I contend not.) Thus, the way I see it, either the universe has always existed, or it was caused.

If it was caused, we have no way to determine what that cause is, since we can't observe things external to the universe by my philosophical definition.

Furthermore if it was caused, there is no way to know if that cause was THE basal state for everything, or if there were 1,000 layers of causation prior to the cause of the universe.

In this way, "God" is not an definitive answer to the question of origins, it merely pushes the chain of unknown causation back one level.  Because even if we could prove that a god exists and it created the universe, there is no way for us (or the god itself) to know if there are higher realities that caused the conditions for, or the existence of, the god.

I bet the following argument will be used by those who don't agree with me: "By definition god is the supreme being". Unfortunately this phrase does not prove what most people who use it think it does. It does not mean that if we prove a being created our universe, that being must be the supreme being, but rather, it only raises the possibly that the creator of our universe is also the supreme being, with no way for us to prove otherwise. Again, there could be many levels above.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:51:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

In that video I posted a few up from here, the guy in the debate, Kent Hovind, has a $250,000 reward for anyone who can prove evolution.  I am pretty sure that offer is for cosmic evolution as well.  Go collect that money!
View Quote

I'm going to guess that his standard of proof is something like "make a shrimp evolve into a duck right in front of me".
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:51:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Notice not one atheist has provided a theory, outside of the cosmic crunch theory (where the atheist was unable or unwilling to explain an infinite universe through successive addition) as to how we all ended up on this rock.

Full of liberal atheists with little to no theories as to how everything started and how Genesis 1 from a 2700 year old text can be so accurate.
View Quote

LMFAO. We knew you weren't being intellectually honest in creating this thread. Have a good night.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:51:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Not everything people say, just the stupid shit you say.

Like I edited above, if your intent to come out swinging and talking down to people was an attempt to portray yourself as a highly intelligent person, you’ve failed.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have rituals to prepare for.
View Quote

It's late. Don't ritual too loudly or you mom will get mad at you.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:52:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If God(s) are real, where did they come from?  Who made them?  What was here before them?
View Quote

Where did God come from ? - Best answer Dr. Kent Hovind vs Reinhold Schlieter Debate
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:52:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

LoL. Ok.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LoL. Ok.

Atheists believe something that will never be proved

True or not?
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:52:28 PM EDT
[#29]
We are in the matrix, duh.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:52:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm a man of science..,
View Quote

This has been determined to be a lie.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:53:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
There is an awesome answer in this thread and I bet not one person watched the video.

It is at the 33:00 point for y'all.
View Quote

43:57
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:53:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Username checks out.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:53:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Atheists believe something that will never be proved

True or not?
View Quote

False.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:54:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

False dilemma.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:56:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
First of all it depends on the definition of universe, which changes depend on who you talk to and their usage of the word. For my philosophical purposes, I take universe to mean anything that we can detect. This may conflict with scientific definitions of the word universe, but I believe the scientific definition of the word may be too limiting when used in the realm of philosophy discussing ultimate origins (from a philosophical standpoint, does it really matter if there is one universe, or many within a "multi-verse"? I contend not.) Thus, the way I see it, either the universe has always existed, or it was caused.

If it was caused, we have no way to determine what that cause is, since we can't observe things external to the universe by my philosophical definition.

Furthermore if it was caused, there is no way to know if that cause was THE basal state for everything, or if there were 1,000 layers of causation prior to the cause of the universe.

In this way, "God" is not an definitive answer to the question of origins, it merely pushes the chain of unknown causation back one level.  Because even if we could prove that a god exists and it created the universe, there is no way for us (or the god itself) to know if there are higher realities that caused the conditions for, or the existence of, the god.

I bet the following argument will be used by those who don't agree with me: "By definition god is the supreme being". Unfortunately this phrase does not prove what most people who use it think it does. It does not mean that if we prove a being created our universe, that being must be the supreme being, but rather, it only raises the possibly that the creator of our universe is also the supreme being, with no way for us to prove otherwise. Again, there could be many levels above.
View Quote

That’s a lot of words to make a failed argument against an eternal being.

That which has no starting point has no start, therefore cannot be created.

Already covered and it’s in the Biblical text.

2700 year old text at that..
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:56:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Really?

I gave it to you on a silver platter?
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:59:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Really?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

Refresh my memory, or were you the “I don’t know” guy?
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 11:00:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Its a pretty simple ideology, random chance. That is the foundation of their ideology, everything is based on randomness, not creativity. Gender, eh, random chance, saying it was assigned is religious bogus. Atheists suck as science, there has never been a single godless state that was a hub of science, all modern inventions came from Christian Western societies, not atheist ones. Almost 70 percent of America and the West claim to be Christian, the Soviet Union, China, and other communist states were atheist, they couldn't invent much, so they suckled on America. Atheism is kind of a failed state in that sense, yet they for whatever reason think they are genius.

Bottom line, no logical person would ever want to live in an Atheist nation state. Their beliefs revolve literally on random chance.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 11:01:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

An ETERNAL being that exists outside of time and space which freely chooses to create the universe.

View Quote
Who created this eternal being? You said everything has a cause.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 11:01:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Its a pretty simple ideology, random chance. That is the foundation of their ideology, everything is based on randomness, not creativity. Gender, eh, random chance, saying it was assigned is religious bogus. Atheists suck as science, there has never been a single godless state that was a hub of science, all modern inventions came from Christian Western societies, not atheist ones. Almost 70 percent of America and the West claim to be Christian, the Soviet Union, China, and other communist states were atheist, they couldn't invent much, so they suckled on America. Atheism is kind of a failed state in that sense, yet they for whatever reason think they are genius.

Bottom line, no logical person would ever want to live in an Atheist nation state. Their beliefs revolve literally on random chance.
View Quote

Bless your heart.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 11:04:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 11:05:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would argue that atheists are moral relativists. They have no grounding for objective moral values or duties.

When morality is relative, everything is on the table.

Stalin and Mao demonstrated this beautifully.

Link Posted: 9/28/2021 11:06:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

An ETERNAL being that exists outside of time and space which freely chooses to create the universe.

Everything that begins to exist has a cause.

God is eternal, therefore does not have an efficient cause.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 11:06:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

God would have to proceed and infinite universe. Therefore the universe he creates would be a potential infinite.

If the Universe and God are eternal, you would have to answer how that can logically happen.

My argument is that if the universe were infinite, you would never reach today. For example, we would look at time as a series of events. So there were be an infinite number of events, before today. Which means you would never reach today, because there would always be a proceeding event to infinity.

View Quote

So now you’re saying god is not eternal, so looking to a god of religion your entire life is done in vain since you’re not granted eternal life in heaven like stated in religious scriptures. If your god is not infinite, then your god had a beginning, thus being created.

How does the universe being infinite or finite change the fact that we’re stuck in the present, never reaching the future? You will always be in the today, the right now, you will never reach tomorrow.
You don’t know if there’s an infinite amount of events that lead to right now, this exact instant you read this text, and likewise you don’t know if there’s a finite amount of events leading up to right now. You also don’t know if there’s an infinite amount of events that will unfold in the future. Neither do I.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 11:07:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I would argue that atheists are moral relativists. They have no grounding for objective moral values or duties.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahh yes, the unmoving moral foundation of religion. How’s the Middle East doing nowadays? Prosperous beacon of intellect?
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 11:08:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Something that has always been eternal and that existed outside of time and space is pretty absurd.
View Quote

Consciousness is the fundamental.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 11:09:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ya ,Naked gunman taught us a lot about morality
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 11:10:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Everything that begins to exist has a cause.

God is eternal, therefore does not have an efficient cause.
View Quote
How do you know God is eternal?
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 11:11:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 11:15:58 PM EDT
[#50]
It's my understanding that everything didn't come from nothing, everything came from a singularity. Within such a mathematical impossibility mass, gravity, and time are meaningless, they become infinitely fractional.

We can tell exactly where it happened, and with some precision almost exactly when it happened, and can back calculate what happened, once it started to happen.

The atheist answer to what preceded that event is somewhere between "we haven't figured that out yet", "we haven't figured out if it even can be figured out", and "it's unknowable".

Not knowing, and not having a better answer doesn't exactly keep me up at night, it's not like the lack of an irrefutable answer disproves the existence of the whole universe.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top