BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 25
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 1:55:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 1:56:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I've sat in on a few briefings and as MudEagle says, it is  well thought out, planned and briefed. Hard to comment on what actually happened without knowing what actually led to this accident.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 1:56:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think that the likelihood of that is so low that it shouldn't be considered.
View Quote

I hear you 100%.  But I just can't seem to wrap my head around what I'm seeing in the videos.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 1:59:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I hear you 100%.  But I just can't seem to wrap my head around what I'm seeing in the videos.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think this video does a good job of informed speculation given the publicly available information at the time:
B-17G and P-63 Collide at the Wings Over Dallas Air Show - A Speculative/Cursory Analysis

Link Posted: 11/13/2022 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Dang. Definitely Craig Hutain in the P-63. Sad sad sad.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Dang. Definitely Craig Hutain in the P-63. Sad sad sad.

Terrible.  

Link Posted: 11/13/2022 2:01:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Then stop attempting to coin meat nonsense such as  "Kinetic transfer".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thats alot of kinetic transfer.  Seems like the whole 63 deflected upwards off the 17's lower fuselage and main wing spar/s?  63's port wing did most of the b17's upper fuselage damage through the radio area to just behind the cockpit seats.  (Prop starting the cutting)

The 63's turn carried it through the impact on left side of b17 to starboard side of b17's fuselage and wing.  The 63 has a behind the cockpit engine right?

Did it pass through the main fuselage at ball turret area or push forward and upwards for the most part? Theres a major assembly joint of rear fuselage tail section to the wing root (rear) where it appeared to let go.  

I try to analyze, for what reason idk

Thank you

Next though you know someone will be postulating about melting canopies
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 2:04:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've sat in on a few briefings and as MudEagle says, it is  well thought out, planned and briefed. Hard to comment on what actually happened without knowing what actually led to this accident.
View Quote

Same.  

I have sat in on a couple.  The latest was the show at Granite Falls.  There is a lot of thought put into it.  

Same when I sat in at the Arsenal Of Democracy flight and some of the warbird tours.  

They arent a willy nilly clusterfuck.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 2:11:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
RIP to all involved.

Very clearly a case where the P-63 pilot was belly up to, and blind on, the B-17....co-altitude....his turn circle was larger than that of the B-17....and smack.

It is very clearly the P-63 pilot's fault.

While I don't want to speak ill of the dead, just some observations from a former fighter/attack guy.  In the military, flying formation is taken extremely seriously and demands extraordinary discipline, not only in maneuvering your aircraft in close proximity to others, but also in maintaining situational awareness and executing set pre-briefed procedures in the event that you go 'blind' on any member within your flight or those you may be maneuvering against (basic fighter maneuvers, for example).  I have no idea whether the pilot of the P-63 was former/current military or straight civilian, but these types of formation 'gaggles' make me VERY nervous.  I have a friend who is former military (SF type) but didn't learn to fly in the military, and now participates in civilian formation flying in small single engine aircraft.  I have tried to warn him that even we military-trained guys F it up on occasion, and even if he maintains strict flight discipline....I wouldn't trust 95% of the average Joe Bagadonuts who is a straight civilian pilot to fly in close formation with me, especially when it is more than two aircraft.

Bottom line, absolute tragedy and prayers to the crews family and friends.  

Fate is the hunter.
View Quote

A ton of stuff to parse out here. Retired fighter guy and current warbird pilot here, too.

No, the P-63 pilot was not former military.  He was, however, a long-time warbird pilot who has been FAST qualified for years. The FAA requires everyone flying warbirds inside waivered airspace (that FAA Order 8900 that I've posted about in this thread) at an airshow has to be formation qualified.  FAST, just like the military, has a syllabus to check pilots out as a wingman, and separate syllabus to check pilots out as flight leads. These syllabi look very similar to undergraduate training wingman and lead qual courses. NATA (North American Trainer Association) is the primary sanctioning body for the warbird fighters and most of the US-trainers (T-6, T-28, etc). The training materials and syllabus are available for you to check out on the internet if you desire, I think you'll see a lot of similarities to the training military pilots get. Guys with FAST quals are perfectly aware of the potential dangers, dangerous positions, dangerous maneuvers, and all of the "musts" like keeping sight, keeping wingtip clearance, keeping nose-to-tail clearance, etc.  These are not newbies playing adult games without training or experience.

That being said, the P-63 and the B-17 were not "in formation" together.

In these shows, the bomber flight is a separate flight from the fighters.  They are operating in two, separate, deconflicted circuits along the show line: either altitude deconfliction, or lateral deconfliction with a be-no line. It appears that this show was altitude deconflicted, so generally that's going to mean the bombers are at or below 500' (min alt 250'), and the fighters are up at 1000'. They're both flying the same basic general ground track entering and exiting the show line, but at very different speeds and at different lateral spacings on the downwind leg.

When using this deconfliction plan, the airboss reserves the right to allow the fighters to descend into the bomber airspace block. This is usually when the bombers have completed their passes, and because they're slow, it takes them much longer to either make it around the pattern for the next pass, or perform the dogbone course reversal to return back for an opposite-direction pass. This allows the fighters to temporarily get lower and closer to the show line when there is a lull in the activity for the spectators.

Based on the reports I'm hearing today (again, unconfirmed and secondhand), the air boss cleared the fighters down into the bomber altitude block down the show line just before the bombers entered the show line in their block....but seemingly the timing of that call by the airboss was errant and given when the P-63 was too close to the lead bomber, the B-17. Because the P-63 was the only fighter behind the B-17, reports say that he cleared the P-63 to "overtake" the 17 in the low altitude block.

Don't get me wrong: it is everyone's responsibility to clear their flight path, and the P-63 pilot was obviously responsible for that, too. But, if the airboss clears the fighters down into the bomber altitude block, there's an implication that goes with that call that the bombers aren't currently occupying that block. Thus, the fighters aren't expecting to see anyone there, and have their attention at avoiding the rocks and keeping their fellow formation members in sight.  Right now we have no idea what altitude the B-17 and P-63 were at when the collision occurred, so we can't even say if it was in the low block or the high block.

That being said, the air boss has a reasonable expectation that guys in the circuit are doing their part to clear their flight path and keep their own formation members in sight. I'm certain that, if this is indeed what occurred, he had a reasonable expectation that the P-63 pilot had the lead bomber in sight...which we can assume based on all the evidence we currently have, he did not.

So, lots of potential swiss-cheese compound errors here, and too little information to place blame anywhere yet.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 2:18:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Lastly, in this video, it looks like a complete airborne clusterfuck.  It wasn't formation flying, but it wasn't flying a pattern either because they would be in flights with the faster airplanes flying a wider pattern.  It just looks like a mess of airplanes all too close together at different altitudes and airspeeds.
View Quote

Not a clusterfuck.  Two separate altitude-deconflicted/vertically separated flights, which at the moment the videos start, the fighters were apparently cleared down into the lower altitude block of the bombers.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 2:20:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think when you have 15 planes in various circuits converging towards a narrow path there's always gonna be potential for loss of visual because of blindspots,  turn tighter than the rest of the group and now you don't see them.
View Quote

They're not all "converging toward a narrow path".

The fighters are in a trail formation flying the lateral path down the showline at 1000'.

The bombers are in a separate trail formation flying the lateral path down the showline below 500'.

When the bombers aren't occupying that physical location and altitude, the air boss can clear the fighters into the lower bomber block temporarily.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 2:21:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I remember your thread. Very cool

Flying in FiFi is amazing, it's such a cool plane

I should look into volunteering. But I live about 2 hours from the airport/museum
View Quote

I'm about an hour and 20 away..., I decided it's worth it even if I can contribute a little to helping maintain the memories and machines from WW2. Finding that info about my pap has really motivated me to contribute in some way.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 2:22:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Can you PM me if you know who or where you got that info? My Dad is an active UAL 777 captain. I just talked to him about this incident this morning
View Quote

The names are out this morning.

https://www.toratoratora.com/pilots-bio/craig-hutain
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 2:22:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

A ton of stuff to parse out here. Retired fighter guy and current warbird pilot here, too.

No, the P-63 pilot was not former military.  He was, however, a long-time warbird pilot who has been FAST qualified for years. The FAA requires everyone flying warbirds inside waivered airspace (that FAA Order 8900 that I've posted about in this thread) at an airshow has to be formation qualified.  FAST, just like the military, has a syllabus to check pilots out as a wingman, and separate syllabus to check pilots out as flight leads. These syllabi look very similar to undergraduate training wingman and lead qual courses. NATA (North American Trainer Association) is the primary sanctioning body for the warbird fighters and most of the US-trainers (T-6, T-28, etc). The training materials and syllabus are available for you to check out on the internet if you desire, I think you'll see a lot of similarities to the training military pilots get. Guys with FAST quals are perfectly aware of the potential dangers, dangerous positions, dangerous maneuvers, and all of the "musts" like keeping sight, keeping wingtip clearance, keeping nose-to-tail clearance, etc.  These are not newbies playing adult games without training or experience.

In these shows, the bomber flight is a separate flight from the fighters.  They are operating in two, separate, deconflicted circuits along the show line: either altitude deconfliction, or lateral deconfliction with a be-no line. It appears that this show was altitude deconflicted, so generally that's going to mean the bombers are at or below 500' (min alt 250'), and the fighters are up at 1000'. They're both flying the same basic general ground track entering and exiting the show line, but at very different speeds and at different lateral spacings on the downwind leg.

When using this deconfliction plan, the airboss reserves the right to allow the fighters to descend into the bomber airspace block. This is usually when the bombers have completed their passes, and because they're slow, it takes them much longer to either make it around the pattern for the next pass, or perform the dogbone course reversal to return back for an opposite-direction pass. This allows the fighters to temporarily get lower and closer to the show line when there is a lull in the activity for the spectators.

Based on the reports I'm hearing today (again, unconfirmed and secondhand), the air boss cleared the fighters down into the bomber altitude block down the show line just before the bombers entered the show line in their block....but seemingly the timing of that call by the airboss was errant and given when the P-63 was too close to the lead bomber, the B-17. Because the P-63 was the only fighter behind the B-17, reports say that he cleared the P-63 to "overtake" the 17 in the low altitude block.

Don't get me wrong: it is everyone's responsibility to clear their flight path, and the P-63 pilot was obviously responsible for that, too. But, if the airboss clears the fighters down into the bomber altitude block, there's an implication that goes with that call that the bombers aren't currently occupying that block. Thus, the fighters aren't expecting to see anyone there, and have their attention at avoiding the rocks and keeping their fellow formation members in sight.  Right now we have no idea what altitude the B-17 and P-63 were at when the collision occurred, so we can't even say if it was in the low block or the high block.

That being said, the air boss has a reasonable expectation that guys in the circuit are doing their part to clear their flight path and keep their own formation members in sight. I'm certain that, if this is indeed what occurred, he had a reasonable expectation that the P-63 pilot had the lead bomber in sight...which we can assume based on all the evidence we currently have, he did not.

So, lots of potential swiss-cheese compound errors here, and too little information to place blame anywhere yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
RIP to all involved.

Very clearly a case where the P-63 pilot was belly up to, and blind on, the B-17....co-altitude....his turn circle was larger than that of the B-17....and smack.

It is very clearly the P-63 pilot's fault.

While I don't want to speak ill of the dead, just some observations from a former fighter/attack guy.  In the military, flying formation is taken extremely seriously and demands extraordinary discipline, not only in maneuvering your aircraft in close proximity to others, but also in maintaining situational awareness and executing set pre-briefed procedures in the event that you go 'blind' on any member within your flight or those you may be maneuvering against (basic fighter maneuvers, for example).  I have no idea whether the pilot of the P-63 was former/current military or straight civilian, but these types of formation 'gaggles' make me VERY nervous.  I have a friend who is former military (SF type) but didn't learn to fly in the military, and now participates in civilian formation flying in small single engine aircraft.  I have tried to warn him that even we military-trained guys F it up on occasion, and even if he maintains strict flight discipline....I wouldn't trust 95% of the average Joe Bagadonuts who is a straight civilian pilot to fly in close formation with me, especially when it is more than two aircraft.

Bottom line, absolute tragedy and prayers to the crews family and friends.  

Fate is the hunter.

Thank you for taking the time to explain that.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 2:22:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I feel the day is rapidly approaching that warbirds will be permanently grounded
View Quote

If they are, it won't be because of accidents or safety.

It will be because the insurance underwriters will no longer want to accept the risk.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 2:23:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks for those pictures.  An earlier video from that general area suggested that there was another large plane behind the B-17.  It appears to be a B-24.  There might be another bomber behind the B-24.   Were there three bombers flying there that day?
View Quote

Yes, B-17 B-24, and B-25 in trail formation.  The B-29 was supposed to be in there, too, but in the videos you can see Fifi holding short waiting to take off.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 2:24:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My brother and I rode on FiFi this year and let me tell you it was a dream come true. FiFi was the very first plane I ever flew on

Something that was on my bucket list

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425704/IMG_20220930_200058_jpg-2598489.JPG
View Quote

Right on.  Thank you for coming out and supporting, and glad you enjoyed the experience.

You're literally the reason we do it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 2:26:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Right now we have no idea what altitude the B-17 and P-63 were at when the collision occurred, so we can't even say if it was in the low block or the high block.

View Quote

Yes, we do know.  Look at the flight track images I posted.  For this pass all the planes were in the low block vs 1300-1500 for the fighters in previous passes.

This is the last data before the crash.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 2:29:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Right on.  Thank you for coming out and supporting, and glad you enjoyed the experience.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My brother and I rode on FiFi this year and let me tell you it was a dream come true. FiFi was the very first plane I ever flew on

Something that was on my bucket list

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425704/IMG_20220930_200058_jpg-2598489.JPG

[/url]

Link Posted: 11/13/2022 2:29:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

100% agree.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 2:31:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

You have to picture that the P-63 pilot was in a turn, looking left to the inside of the turn at the other fighters whom he is following, as well as avoiding overbanking and hitting the ground in the turn.

He's not expecting to see the B-17 at his altitude, so he's not "belly checking" to see if there's anyone down below him.

He probably had zero idea the 17 was even there, even at impact.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 2:37:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Is there any chance that this was intentional?
View Quote

I highly doubt that, the P-63  pilot was banking and if it was intentional he would have been going straight at the B-17.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 2:40:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I highly doubt that, the P-63  pilot was banking and if it was intentional he would have been going straight at the B-17.
View Quote

"Going straight at the B-17" *is* a turn at that aspect angle.

He was literally flying a pure-pursuit curve as if he were intentionally trying to hit the 17. In fact, if he *were* trying to hit the other airplane, it would have been incredibly difficult to hit it center of mass like he did.

But, no, it was not intentional.

Just a series of very unfortunate factors unintentionally occurring at the same place at the same time.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 2:41:48 PM EDT
[#23]
My condolences to everyone here that knew the pilots that were lost

Quoted:

Yes, I fly some of the CAF bombers (B-24 and B-29, among others) at airshows and ride events throughout the country.

I wasn't there today, although I was originally scheduled to fly the B-24 Diamond Lil in the show and had to back out due to conflict with my work schedule.

Here's me flying Lil over OSH earlier this summer:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470117/thumbnail_IMG_0659_jpg-2598279.JPG
View Quote

Did you happen to fly either Fifi or Diamond Lil up to Kentucky this past September?
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Did you happen to fly either Fifi or Diamond Lil up to Kentucky this past September?
View Quote

Yes, I was flying the B-29 at Lexington.

This is one of the only pics I took there, in the morning before the ride flights.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 2:44:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I just rode in Sentimental Journey a few months ago.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/32274/20220513_141949_jpg-2597657.JPG
View Quote

Spent a few trips in that aircraft. Its home base is in Mesa Az so I would go out to see her weekly. They used to have a HE111 out there.
She crashed will all hands as well.
Sad day for us CAF guys. The lives lost, the history of the aircraft. Horrible.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yes, I was flying the B-29 at Lexington.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

I greatly enjoyed hearing and seeing you fly over the shop I work in
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 2:48:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/468244/Screenshot_20220920-093736_Gallery_jpg-2598736.JPG

I greatly enjoyed hearing and seeing you fly over the shop I work in
View Quote
Excellent!

Thanks for the pic.

Always happy to make some noise for those who appreciate it.  On the ride flights we went out to the northeast and flew over the capitol building.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 2:49:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I said it earlier that this event is a unaffornate series of timing and position errors that all added up to the perfect storm. One poster said it best with the position of one aircraft being just a little too far behind and another being a little too far ahead but adding in what MudEagle said about the flight boss giving clearance for the fighters to start making their passes over the runway.

Watching the different angle videos where one of the angles you didn't even see the King Cobra hit until it had already went through the fuselage and then the other angle where he was banking and him not knowing that the B-17 was in his blind spot right until it wasn't.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Spent a few trips in that aircraft. Its home base is in Mesa Az so I would go out to see her weekly. They used to have a HE111 out there.
Sad day for us CAF guys. The lives lost, the history of the aircraft. Horrible.
View Quote

Crawled through both when we had a hanger out there, losing the 111 and crew was tough.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 2:55:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
They used to have a HE111 out there.
View Quote

The unfortunate truth is that the "Confederate" Air Force had a not-so-good safety record.  When you drill down into the root causes of many of the accidents, they were entirely preventable.

The modern history of the org, the last 20-25 years, has been a constant tightening of the training, maintenance, and operational requirements and procedures.  As the airplanes have become more and more rare and expensive, the safety record has improved dramatically.

Hank Coates and Jim Lasche both have military aviation backgrounds and have brought/implemented regulated safety programs to CAF operations.  The organization today hardly even resembles the organization that had the accidents decades ago.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

He was literally flying a pure-pursuit curve as if he were intentionally trying to hit the 17. In fact, if he *were* trying to hit the other airplane, it would have been incredibly difficult to hit it center of mass like he did.

Just a series of very unfortunate factors unintentionally occurring at the same place at the same time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, 1000% correct. I was meaning that the way way he was flying he would have to know where the B-17 was and based off one video that shows him banking and the B-17 being in his blind spot the whole time during the turn is why I say no way was this intentional.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 3:00:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow.

I operated primarily in the CAS environment, and did FAC-A stuff too, so altitude deconfliction is YUGE when operating a stack (or deconflicting fires).  Not surprising that they set blocks for aircraft of differing performance parameters.

I am loosely aware of the FAST qualification, as I have buddies that do this type of stuff in warbirds...but I have never personally been involved on the civilian side.  My airshow 'performances' were either just flying jet(s) in for static display or performing VERY choreographed 'airpower' demos where we flew basically a box pattern and the pyrotechnics guys would call out what they were going to 'simulate' when we called 'in dry' on final so we could replicate the delivery or strafe run.

Thanks for the insight into what goes into the training and deconfliction on the civilian side.  Last time I personally witnessed an airshow accident was in 2000 at Willow Grove, PA, when an F-14 departed in an accelerated stall and neither dude got out.

It was horrific, as is this.  

I may not have personally known the crews involved, but may God have Mercy on them and welcome them into His Kingdom.  Hat's off to those of you who still fly these warbirds so the public can truly appreciate them doing what they were designed to do...but honestly, it's stuff like this that keeps me from pursuing flying warbirds as a hobby.  I'll stick to being a bus driver, enjoying my family and dogs, and shooting in my off time.

Link Posted: 11/13/2022 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Excellent!

Thanks for the pic.

Always happy to make some noise for those who appreciate it.  On the ride flights we went out to the northeast and flew over the capitol building.
View Quote

Ever fly Diamond into MSN?

Aforementioned event with sharing the pattern with it in a 152, was in 2013.  I was still a student pilot and doing some pattern practice.  

In any case, I've seen Fifi fly over more times than I can count at various airshows and during Oshkosh in the last couple decades.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 3:08:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Excellent!

Thanks for the pic.

View Quote

I was wondering why there were two distinct flight paths. In hindsight, I wish I would have brought my DSLR to work that day instead of just taking pictures with my phone. The quality would have been a little better
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 3:16:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That's how i felt when i heard the CASA 2.111 crashed, i grew up crawling through that thing at FFZ.  

As do i.
View Quote

I used to visit her as well. In fact the first date with a girl at ASU that later became my wife was a tour of that aircraft. Sad day when it crashed as well. Good men were lost.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 3:27:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I was wondering why there were two distinct flight paths. In hindsight, I wish I would have brought my DSLR to work that day instead of just taking pictures with my phone. The quality would have been a little better
View Quote

We usually fly two bomber rides per day, and split the "pilot flying" duties between the two guys up front. Each guy gets to choose where they go when it is their turn to fly.

I usually try to pick a route that will give the riders something interesting to look at, or a route that flies right down main street in the center of town to make noise and let people see us out there flying the flag.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 3:28:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Ever fly Diamond into MSN?

Aforementioned event with sharing the pattern with it in a 152, was in 2013.  I was still a student pilot and doing some pattern practice.  

In any case, I've seen Fifi fly over more times than I can count at various airshows and during Oshkosh in the last couple decades.
View Quote

Not Madison, but next door in Appleton numerous times.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 3:37:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

We usually fly two bomber rides per day, and split the "pilot flying" duties between the two guys up front. Each guy gets to choose where they go when it is their turn to fly.

I usually try to pick a route that will give the riders something interesting to look at, or a route that flies right down main street in the center of town to make noise and let people see us out there flying the flag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm bummed I haven't gotten to go on a flight yet. Seems every time they come into one of the HSV airports I'm traveling for work or something else conflicts. I want to get on a B-17G so bad. I always found the prices very reasonable for the trips.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 3:37:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think the P-63 pilot had the bomber in sight but lost it when he turned off to give way.  The bomber is on his right, and this is probably VFR.  Looks like the turn dropped altitude more than he thought which caused his plane to occupy the same space as the top fuselage of the bomber.

I still think he was making a faux gun run on the bomber for the crowd, and horrendously miscalculated.  There was no other reason for him to be there and approach the bomber like that.  There's no way he didn't see the bomber sometime before the collision unless he was texting.  Not on that approach and altitude.  A B-17 is not exactly an ultralight.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 3:48:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've taken my sons to see FIFI in Mesa AZ..
Amazing people gave us detailed information while walking around FIFI..
Thank you guys for what y'all do..!!!
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 4:09:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Thank you very much for your input MudEagle.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 4:14:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I think the P-63 pilot had the bomber in sight but lost it when he turned off to give way.  The bomber is on his right, and this is probably VFR.  Looks like the turn dropped altitude more than he thought which caused his plane to occupy the same space as the top fuselage of the bomber.

I still think he was making a faux gun run on the bomber for the crowd, and horrendously miscalculated.  There was no other reason for him to be there and approach the bomber like that.  There's no way he didn't see the bomber sometime before the collision unless he was texting.  Not on that approach and altitude.  A B-17 is not exactly an ultralight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You really need to stop.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 4:20:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
You really need to stop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You really need to stop.
You really need to stop quoting people I have on ignore.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 4:21:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Thank you

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thats alot of kinetic transfer.  Seems like the whole 63 deflected upwards off the 17's lower fuselage and main wing spar/s?  63's port wing did most of the b17's upper fuselage damage through the radio area to just behind the cockpit seats.  (Prop starting the cutting)

The 63's turn carried it through the impact on left side of b17 to starboard side of b17's fuselage and wing.  The 63 has a behind the cockpit engine right?

Did it pass through the main fuselage at ball turret area or push forward and upwards for the most part? Theres a major assembly joint of rear fuselage tail section to the wing root (rear) where it appeared to let go.  

I try to analyze, for what reason idk

Thank you

Sorry! please don't scoff; help me understand.  Not coining anything.  what would you call it?  high energy hit?  what would the NTSB call it?  But trying big werds.    The little plane hit the big big plane really hard and bounced off.  Better for you?   Kinetic transfer.   Kinetic transfer. Ffs

eta:  63 had how many more knots air speed?  it appeared to hit the core of the inner wing sections and deflect upwards,  there's vaporizing fuel in the air?  The bottom turret to top turret were struck by the 63.  the energy released was highly catastrophic in that the crew deck was fully involved (I'm wondering if debris entered the cockpit as well) and tail section was severed.

Understanding the calamity is a form of recovery I think, as someone else mentioned.

thoughts and prayers for the entire community.

Link Posted: 11/13/2022 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Going up in a WWII bomber is on my bucket list, but I can just imagine trying to convince my wife that we should spend that much money for me to go on a half hour plane ride

Quoted:
Thank you very much for your input Mud_Eagle.

And also this
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It will be because the insurance underwriters will no longer want to accept the risk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I feel the day is rapidly approaching that warbirds will be permanently grounded

Try being a low time guy looking for Model 12 coverage.

Looks like I'll be self insuring...

Link Posted: 11/13/2022 4:41:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Thank you very much for your input Mud_Eagle.
View Quote

This 10000%

Link Posted: 11/13/2022 4:43:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Going up in a WWII bomber is on my bucket list, but I can just imagine trying to convince my wife that we should spend that much money for me to go on a half hour plane ride

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did a B17 flight many years ago, and can only say the cost of the flight will be quickly forgotten once it starts.  If you get the chance and don't, it will be one of those lifetime regrets.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 4:47:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I did a B17 flight many years ago, and can only say the cost of the flight will be quickly forgotten once it starts.  If you get the chance and don't, it will be one of those lifetime regrets.
View Quote

What does a ride normally cost?
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 4:47:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I still think he was making a faux gun run on the bomber for the crowd, and horrendously miscalculated.  There was no other reason for him to be there and approach the bomber like that.
View Quote

Without being too rude, are you not reading any of the discussion in this thread?

No, the P-63 was not “making a gun run” on the B-17.

These are highly planned and scripted performances.

Do you know of many Airshows where US fighters pretend to shoot down US bombers?
Page / 25
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top