Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 2:15:29 PM EDT
[#1]
The COD series has a lot of great levels but I think the only one that ever made me truly emotional was when Russia invades the US in Modern Warfare 2.

Something about fighting an enemy "at home" really got to me.  There's one level where you do a nighttime insertion into D.C. and the Russians are holding the White House.  I remember saying "motherfuckers!!" every time I came upon more destruction by the enemy.  The intensity is stepped up a notch after a US-launched EMP burst shuts down all electronics.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Call of Duty MW1. Chernobyl with the Long shot and escape. That level on Legendary difficulty.
View Quote
I replayed that level so many times...

The Modern Warfare series has a lot of great sniping missions.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 2:18:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The COD series has a lot of great levels but I think the only one that ever made me truly emotional was when Russia invades the US in Modern Warfare 2.

Something about fighting an enemy "at home" really got to me.  There's one level where you do a nighttime insertion into D.C. and the Russians are holding the White House.  I remember saying "motherfuckers!!" every time I came upon more destruction by the enemy.  The intensity is stepped up a notch after a US-launched EMP burst shuts down all electronics.
View Quote
The first Medal of Honor game with the normandy landing is what really got me into WWII and firearms in general
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 2:54:01 PM EDT
[#4]
The Half Life series are probably some of my favorite games ever.

Both Portal games had great stories.

Red Dead Redemption was amazing, one of the few games I've actually replayed al the way through more than once. I am very excited about the new Red Dead coming next year.

GTA 4 and 5 have great stories too, like playing a character in a movie.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I was all excited about The Last of Us. Have about $100 I was gifted to my steam wallet. Fucking consoles.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 3:25:48 PM EDT
[#6]
No One Lives Forever 1 & 2 both had great, funny stories. Somehow Kate Archer doesn't seem to come up when SJWs are screeching about a lack of strong female characters She's one of my favorite protagonists of any game.

As said before, Metro 2033 and Last Light have great stories and a VERY good atmosphere.

Max Payne 2 had an intentionally over the top, cheesy film-noir story that was great.

One I completely forgot about but absolutely LOVED was Soma. Beautifully realized environments and an intriguing story, and creepy as hell. It really made me think, a LOT. It's a great experience.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons has an interesting story, but it's enhanced by the fact that you're controlling both characters with a single controller (one on each thumbstick). It really raises the intensity and you can sense the feeling of cooperation between the two characters.

I'm going to get some hate for this, but I really love the stories in Far Cry 2-3-4. Yes, there are some whiny Californians in 3, but that adds to it IMHO rather than detracts. 2 is by far the most intense, 4 has the best story and IMHO the absolute BEST antagonist of pretty much any game I've played in a looong time. Plus it's gorgeous.

The Witcher 3 has a good overarching story but the side quests are where it really shines, especially when you pick up what you think is a simple quest and it ends up lasting hours.

The Elder Scrolls (at least Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim) series are special in that they can tell a whole story just through a letter or two at an abandoned campsite. Some of those have left me sad for long periods after finding them

Quoted:
The Half Life series are probably some of my favorite games ever.
View Quote
Just don't play the originals if you want to keep the warm fuzzies. They're really showing their age now
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 3:34:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm adding Evil Within 2 as a recent game with a great story.

The Evil Within 2 – Official E3 Announce Trailer
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 3:45:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
This!  Amazingly well done.
Seeing the pictures of the real Chernobyl area, after playing the game, I was very surprised to recognize so many things.

Link Posted: 12/8/2017 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Planescape Torment was by far my favorite.
View Quote
Came to see if this was mentioned.  That game started slow, but ended up having one of the most epic and thoughtful stories of any game I've played.

Of more recent games, I'll add my voice to Witcher 3.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 3:58:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhMXxX34aUc

Not sure if GD covered HOMEFRONT in the past but this seems plausible if FHRC would have won.
View Quote
That was a game I enjoyed, but got pissed off at the end.

The "tide" was just changing, then the game was over.  I felt like the whole campaign was training for online/multiplayer.  I was pissed that I ran through the game in like two days.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 4:00:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ravenholm was fucking awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHE39wBmUqg
View Quote
The whole game was a masterpiece for me. Good call.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 4:01:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Bioshock
The Last of Us
Alien: Isolation
MGS (Playstation 1)
Assassins Creed II/Brotherhood/Revelations
Titanfall 2
Legend of Zelda: OOT
Little Nightmares
Wolfenstein New Order/Old Blood/New Collossus
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 4:41:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Who doesn't remember this final boss fight, from before it was called a boss fight, and his final words?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlHPuTriQqw
View Quote
man, that brings me back. loved that game.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 5:04:35 PM EDT
[#15]

I remember this being pretty intense.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 5:19:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Just don't play the originals if you want to keep the warm fuzzies. They're really showing their age now
View Quote
The graphical deficiencies are made up by the fact that Half-Life on hard difficulty, is actually really damn hard.

I've been playing Borderlands 2 again, and it's not really that hard, unless you're playing with other people.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 5:27:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The "tide" was just changing, then the game was over.  I felt like the whole campaign was training for online/multiplayer.  I was pissed that I ran through the game in like two days.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhMXxX34aUc

Not sure if GD covered HOMEFRONT in the past but this seems plausible if FHRC would have won.

It is short. I think there is a walkthough vid on the tube that covers the whole game in less than 2 hours.
The intro vid is just plain creepy though and who would have considered NK as viable power back then?
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 5:28:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The graphical deficiencies are made up by the fact that Half-Life on hard difficulty, is actually really damn hard.

I've been playing Borderlands 2 again, and it's not really that hard, unless you're playing with other people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The AI actually holds up surprisingly well, even if the level design doesn't. I remember being shocked that the enemies were so smart when I first played it.

The puzzles get tiresome these days, but it was a good way to make the most out of the available space at the time. Now we have miles of beautiful mountains/desert/ocean/jungle for a 10 minute on-rails section of Battlefield or COD that takes up enough HDD space for a dozen Half Life + expansions installs
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Best level is water temple on Ocarina of Time.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 6:53:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Best picks already taken.  My favorite level in any game are the games that don't have levels, but freedom of movement and the ability to choose for yourself how to proceed.  More like Mission based.  Fallout, GTA, Mercenaries, Operation Flashpoint are some examples.

Original OFP stood out the most for me when a Helicopters lands to pick you up in real time, not some cutscene.

Though not open-world, a lot of the early Tom Clancy games like Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon had some great maps to plan ahead and think about.  They DO NOT make games like those any more.

Story wise I like the older RPG's.  Gold Box, Baldur's Gate and FF3 (6) and 7.

It would be easier to pick out the RPG's that have terrible stories then the many that have ok to really good ones.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 6:58:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Original OFP stood out the most for me when a Helicopters lands to pick you up in real time, not some cutscene.
View Quote
Couple of friends and I have been playing CTI on Arma 3 for a while. Just a giant sandbox deciding exactly how you want to take the next town... snipers in a triangle around the city? One guy on CAS and two doing CQB? Everybody in a tank? One guy with 15 AI squadmates and two in a gunship? Or just nuke the place and move on

Not much of a storyline but man it's fun
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 7:00:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I really enjoyed the first Splinter Cell. Maybe the second one, too. Has it really been 15+ years now?
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 7:24:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Half Life
Half Life 2
Skyrim

ETA: Bought Witcher 3. Have 15 hours into it. The storyline is stupid.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 7:37:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Best picks already taken.  My favorite level in any game are the games that don't have levels, but freedom of movement and the ability to choose for yourself how to proceed.  More like Mission based.  Fallout, GTA, Mercenaries, Operation Flashpoint are some examples.
View Quote
With this in mind the Hitman series are awesome
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 8:02:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Best level? The Cow Level in Diablo 2.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 8:15:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Suikoden III
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 8:15:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yup. The Metal Gear story is 100% insanity fuel.

I was aboard for for the first game.

After that?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you guys joking? C'mon, you have to be... right?

The Metal Gear Solid story arc is the best example of laughably incomprehensible storytelling that I've ever encountered in a game. (Probably in books or movies as well.)

I mean, one of the things the series is famous for is its ridiculously convoluted plot.

Every character in the game is named Boss or Snake, for Christ's sake.

After that?  
Ya, well that's just like, la li lu le lo man.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 8:21:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you guys joking? C'mon, you have to be... right?

The Metal Gear Solid story arc is the best example of laughably incomprehensible storytelling that I've ever encountered in a game. (Probably in books or movies as well.)

I mean, one of the things the series is famous for is its ridiculously convoluted plot.

Every character in the game is named Boss or Snake, for Christ's sake.

After that?  
I lold
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 8:42:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Spec ops the line. And Blops1 both had a good mindfuck story.
Walking dead season one was gut wrenching.

Vice city was good too.As was San Andreas.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 8:46:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well, shit. Witcher 3, Half life 2, and Skyrim?

Can't argue with any of that.

I'd add Borderlands 2 I guess. I like the Handsome Jack story, and lots of the side mission stories as well.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 9:05:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Pretty much all of the Titanfall 2 campaign (my personal favorite being the D-Day style assault in mechs)

Storywise, MGS had a good arc, although it took some time to get used to.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 9:05:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Well, shit. Witcher 3, Half life 2, and Skyrim?

Can't argue with any of that.

I'd add Borderlands 2 I guess. I like the Handsome Jack story, and lots of the side mission stories as well.
View Quote
I won't lie, the "Arms Dealing" side mission was pretty hard to pull off without multiplayer help.

But then again, the difficulty from that was due to it being a timed fetch quest, not because of the skill required to complete it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 9:13:44 PM EDT
[#34]
I always enjoyed Infinity Blade 1, 2, & 3.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 9:29:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:28:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Both Half Life games were amazing when they were released, and still hold up decently.

The first three Metal Gear Solid games, and to a lesser extent the fourth game, had convoluted but entertaining stories (control information and you control everything), and were the first 'stealth' games, they're still fun to play through today.

Legend of Zelda, OoT was and is still one of the best games ever made, a solid story and lots of fun levels.

Spec-Ops, The Line had somewhat repetitive game play with a few fun levels, but the story was rock-solid, and very entertaining.

Haven't really gamed much since the PS2/Gamecube days, so I'll defer on newer games.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:31:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Beat me to it....
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:54:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Until you mess up the order and have to restart the entire temple then all hell breaks loose
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:56:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Until you mess up the order and have to restart the entire temple then all hell breaks loose
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh man I forgot a small key once in the very back part of the dungeon. I was livid. And it was probably my 25th play through.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:09:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

After that?  
View Quote
Other than MGS2, the series ties together nicely given the time Kojima had on each game.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:10:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Oh man I forgot a small key once in the very back part of the dungeon. I was livid. And it was probably my 25th play through.
View Quote
hahaha i always look at a guide now when I play it so I don't mess up
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:14:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Dead space, uncharted, The Last of Us, Mass effect.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:22:35 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't remember any storylines. Just fly and shoot. Yes, I'm old.

Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:24:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
God of War
View Quote
Came here to post this, bought the game played first. 10 -15 minutes then kind if forgot about it for almost one year, then one day decided to try it again.

Very fun game, and pretty aggravating but satisfying in the hardest difficulties
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:25:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Mass Effect trilogy

Skyrim

Halo 1, 2, 3
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 12:10:44 AM EDT
[#46]
The entire "S.T.A.L.K.E.R." series.

Most "atmospheric" series of games I've ever played.  Would love to see them get remade in a newer game engine.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 12:45:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Best level? The Cow Level in Diablo 2.
View Quote
there is no cow level
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 12:58:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Maybe not great scenes, but my favorite game I beat recently was "Sneaky Bears" on virtual reality. It's like a 3 gun match with ping pong balls and shotguns but you shoot evil teddy bears.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 12:58:42 AM EDT
[#49]
What’s this?
A video game story thread without Metro 2033 or last light being the #1 choices?
Not even the Redux versions?
FAKE NEWS

Metro is Love, Metro is Life
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 1:04:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Duke nuke 3d.

lol

seriously,  I liked System Shock
View Quote
Both SS1 and SS2 were fantastic.

"Hurrrrrry ruuuuuun" will haunt me forever.

Also, Path of the Nerevarine (sp) in Morrowind.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top