Yes.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:45:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:25:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Really? Most 3-9s aren't that good.

Even the Trijicon, it's $700 for a 1" tube scope.

And sure, it hits the 6x I want (at half power) and the 3x you need (at third power), but... it's not ultra tier 1.

I have shot an Accupoint before, though, and I like the glass very much. 1" tube, sure, but it does make it a little lighter weight I suppose. I actually like that it has capped turrets, as I'm just going to use a hold in the field anyhow (BDC or a drop chart), and I can afford it right now without any worry.

Of course, with that scope, I guess I should think about offsets or something, too, and I'm not crazy about bolting extra stuff to the rifle.

I guess the question is whether dealing with offsets is worth saving $500?
View Quote

I am using the VX-R leupold mil/mil and I like it.  Its about the same weight as a 1-6.  ACOG with offset probably weighs less than a 1-6.

Of course, I don't have a true CWAR.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:34:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I've got a Leupold Mk6 1-6, but it's definitely not a CWAR
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Really? Most 3-9s aren't that good.

Even the Trijicon, it's $700 for a 1" tube scope.

And sure, it hits the 6x I want (at half power) and the 3x you need (at third power), but... it's not ultra tier 1.

I have shot an Accupoint before, though, and I like the glass very much. 1" tube, sure, but it does make it a little lighter weight I suppose. I actually like that it has capped turrets, as I'm just going to use a hold in the field anyhow (BDC or a drop chart), and I can afford it right now without any worry.

Of course, with that scope, I guess I should think about offsets or something, too, and I'm not crazy about bolting extra stuff to the rifle.

I guess the question is whether dealing with offsets is worth saving $500?

I am using the VX-R leupold mil/mil and I like it.  Its about the same weight as a 1-6.  ACOG with offset probably weighs less than a 1-6.

Of course, I don't have a true CWAR.  

I've got a Leupold Mk6 1-6, but it's definitely not a CWAR

RA used that at CWE last year.

Frankly the CWARs are really an all purpose carbine.  for the actually cola warrior, longer variable glass on a heavier gun is probably more effective.  After all, you don't have to carry it.

My eyes are old and I need a little more magnification.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:03:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:07:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Tag for later
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ive shot it with:

TA33
TA33
Eotech
MK6 1-6
TA33

I used the MK6 set on 3x anyway. I don't really think you need more than that for CW.

http://jtbaker.smugmug.com/Other/Cola-Warrior-EAST-2013/i-PV6MwwK/0/L/DSC_0113-L.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
RA used that at CWE last year.

Frankly the CWARs are really an all purpose carbine.  for the actually cola warrior, longer variable glass on a heavier gun is probably more effective.  After all, you don't have to carry it.

My eyes are old and I need a little more magnification.

Ive shot it with:

TA33
TA33
Eotech
MK6 1-6
TA33

I used the MK6 set on 3x anyway. I don't really think you need more than that for CW.

http://jtbaker.smugmug.com/Other/Cola-Warrior-EAST-2013/i-PV6MwwK/0/L/DSC_0113-L.jpg

If most people could shoot like you after 1/2 mile run 3X might be enough, too.  I need more.  What can I say?  I'm old.  

Your camouflaged 300M target at CW4 made me happy to have a higher end variable.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:42:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Damn, so strict

I've only got a TA31F
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
And it must have an ACOG?
Is the Geissele fore end necessary too?

TA33 ACOG

Yes.

Damn, so strict

I've only got a TA31F

Then you can't into CWAR, M8.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:51:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Damn, so strict

I've only got a TA31F
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TA33 ACOG

Yes.

Damn, so strict

I've only got a TA31F

I sold a TA31 RCO for a TA33.
The eye releif, smaller size and lighter was worth it.
I'll never go back to a 4x Acog unless it's for an A4 clone.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:13:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:18:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TA33 ACOG

Yes.

Damn, so strict

I've only got a TA31F

don't shit on the ta31 too much

sure it's heavier and the eye relief is not good, but the field of view is amazing
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:22:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:25:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

sure it's heavier and the eye relief is not good, but the field of view is amazing
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TA33 ACOG

Yes.

Damn, so strict

I've only got a TA31F

Just use your other eye for sweet field of view.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Prototype?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#17]

2A Balios-lite.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:50:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:24:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If most people could shoot like you after 1/2 mile run 3X might be enough, too.  I need more.  What can I say?  I'm old.  

Your camouflaged 300M target at CW4 made me happy to have a higher end variable.
View Quote

This is why I want to go with something with a higher end.  Maybe not the age thing.  

And it's not like I can't shoot normally.  After CWE1, I was hitting the 250yd target from standing no problem with the TA33.  The course of fire isn't terribly difficult.

But man, after obstacles, peeps, and run?  It's a humbling experience for me every single time.    CW4 took me almost an entire mag.  20-something rounds, I think.  Of course, probably ten of them were bracketing fire until I hit the 300m camo target.  

This weekend I put my Vortex 4-16 PST FFP on my CWAR and tried it out.  It shoots great, but... it's too heavy.  That's just too much glass for a utility rifle.  Standing is a real challenge to keep it steady, and kneeling it's almost as if the gun wants to roll over to the side, even with a lot of sling.

I like that VX-R.  It's cheaper than the Trijicon, presumably has comparable glass quality (I don't know, I haven't seen the VX line), but it's a 30mm tube whigh gives me better light transmission anyhow.

It looks like Leupold also makes a 2.5-7 in the VX-R line, and that one is even available with a BDC reticle.  That one is just a hair over $400, and about 2/3 of a pound.  It has capped turrets, too, which I would prefer on a utility rifle.

The 2-7 VX-R looks like a winner.  My only misgiving is that it's a SFP scope with a BDC reticle, so what mag range is the BDC calibrated for?  Usually they're at the highest magnification, but it could also be the lowest?  I'm not sure, and the internet hasn't told me yet.  Plus, it's not actually 2.5-7.  It's like 2.8-6.7 or something like that.  Which, okay, whatever, right?  But since I only have access to a 100yd range, it means I'm going to have to shoot a scaled target to first make sure the turret tracks accurately, then make adjustments and shoot the holds while varying the magnification until I find the mag setting that hits on with my rifle and ammo, and then mark that on the scope.

It's more work than I wanted to do, but spending a day at the range while saving a few hundred bucks suddenly doesn't sound so awful...

I'll keep looking to see if there's anything better, but for now I really like that 2-7 VX-R.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This is why I want to go with something with a higher end.  Maybe not the age thing.  

And it's not like I can't shoot normally.  After CWE1, I was hitting the 250yd target from standing no problem with the TA33.  The course of fire isn't terribly difficult.

But man, after obstacles, peeps, and run?  It's a humbling experience for me every single time.    CW4 took me almost an entire mag.  20-something rounds, I think.  Of course, probably ten of them were bracketing fire until I hit the 300m camo target.  

This weekend I put my Vortex 4-16 PST FFP on my CWAR and tried it out.  It shoots great, but... it's too heavy.  That's just too much glass for a utility rifle.  Standing is a real challenge to keep it steady, and kneeling it's almost as if the gun wants to roll over to the side, even with a lot of sling.

I like that VX-R.  It's cheaper than the Trijicon, presumably has comparable glass quality (I don't know, I haven't seen the VX line), but it's a 30mm tube whigh gives me better light transmission anyhow.

It looks like Leupold also makes a 2.5-7 in the VX-R line, and that one is even available with a BDC reticle.  That one is just a hair over $400, and about 2/3 of a pound.  It has capped turrets, too, which I would prefer on a utility rifle.

The 2-7 VX-R looks like a winner.  My only misgiving is that it's a SFP scope with a BDC reticle, so what mag range is the BDC calibrated for?  Usually they're at the highest magnification, but it could also be the lowest?  I'm not sure, and the internet hasn't told me yet.  Plus, it's not actually 2.5-7.  It's like 2.8-6.7 or something like that.  Which, okay, whatever, right?  But since I only have access to a 100yd range, it means I'm going to have to shoot a scaled target to first make sure the turret tracks accurately, then make adjustments and shoot the holds while varying the magnification until I find the mag setting that hits on with my rifle and ammo, and then mark that on the scope.

It's more work than I wanted to do, but spending a day at the range while saving a few hundred bucks suddenly doesn't sound so awful...

I'll keep looking to see if there's anything better, but for now I really like that 2-7 VX-R.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Leupys BDC's are calibrated for highest magnification.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:01:44 PM EDT
[#21]
KAC RAS laughs at you all
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:23:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fail.
Not free floated and the URX is 5x harder to install than the G rail.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:23:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

*click*
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:23:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Fail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fail.

RAS  
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:25:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
RAS  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fail.

RAS  
Inferior to a Geissele rail.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:30:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, Heavy, unused rails in the middle, not as easy to install.
Been years since even KAC used them.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:34:03 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My recent experiences with installation of G rails convinces me that if Geissele is an option when I'm putting an upper together, then Geissele is THE option...with the only caveat being for builds with a definite purpose ( for example, when I chase silly light weight, I'll get an ALG).

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:03:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My recent experiences with installation of G rails convinces me that if Geissele is an option when I'm putting an upper together, then Geissele is THE option...with the only caveat being for builds with a definite purpose ( for example, when I chase silly light weight, I'll get an ALG).  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If light weight was your only concern, then you want a carbon fiber tube.  The Clark one in carbine length is 5 ounces.  Even the magnesium thing from BCM with the dickmod all over it is 50% more than that.

But both those rails have the issue of needing the gas block timed, so you're not getting ideal torque every time, and then you don't have all the built-in functionality that you do with the Mk4.  Plus, if you want to attach anything to it, once you start adding all the dickmod adapters you need, there goes your weight savings.

Sure, the Mk4 is something like 11-12 ounces, but the functionality, accuracy, and durability that you get for the little bit of extra weight is worth it.  Built in sling swivels alone are pretty huge.
And again, if you actually bolt at least 2 things to it - say, a flashlight and a laser - the weight of the rail plus adapters comes out the same.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:48:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If light weight was your only concern, then you want a carbon fiber tube.  The Clark one in carbine length is 5 ounces.  Even the magnesium thing from BCM with the dickmod all over it is 50% more than that.

But both those rails have the issue of needing the gas block timed, so you're not getting ideal torque every time, and then you don't have all the built-in functionality that you do with the Mk4.  Plus, if you want to attach anything to it, once you start adding all the dickmod adapters you need, there goes your weight savings.
View Quote

personally, just looking at carbon fiber makes me think of fart cans on honda civics and I become angry. if nothing else the full length top rail on the bcm DICWAR rail justifies the nominal amount of extra weight, also the bbl nut on it does not require timing.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 6:55:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

dear god no.

those things were the tits, 10 years ago.

technology has moved on.
and Knight made his fortune.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:06:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Is an AN/PVS-7 CW spec/approved or does it have to be a PVS-14? I found a smoking deal on a pair of PVS-7s.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:23:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

personally, just looking at carbon fiber makes me think of fart cans on honda civics and I become angry. if nothing else the full length top rail on the bcm DICWAR rail justifies the nominal amount of extra weight, also the bbl nut on it does not require timing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See, and I think of fishing rods.  

I agree, having a full length top rail is a big benefit (hence the Mk4) for anything practical.  I'm just saying that if your goal was to build a complete and functional rifle at the lowest possible weight, you'd pretty much have to use a CF front end.

But as Mrs. Ace's She-CWAR demonstrates, you can get a rifle plenty light without sacrificing any utility or using silly components.  I'd just give up on chasing that last five ounces or so, personally.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:08:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Is an AN/PVS-7 CW spec/approved or does it have to be a PVS-14? I found a smoking deal on a pair of PVS-7s.
View Quote

While PVS-14 is the best route, I don't think there are "specs" on NVGs for Cola Warrior.

And this thread is about the rifle, not green eyes.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:12:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

While PVS-14 is the best route, I don't think there are "specs" on NVGs for Cola Warrior.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, we only have @ 12-14 Night Warriors total from all the Cola Warriors held so far.
I don't think any of us use the same NV setups.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:17:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Not sure how it feel about this setup.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:19:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 12:09:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s748.photobucket.com/user/ragincajun1919/media/E17E90C6-988B-47E8-A807-5C7F0A71AC08_zpsnhcyn1t0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx125/ragincajun1919/E17E90C6-988B-47E8-A807-5C7F0A71AC08_zpsnhcyn1t0.jpg</a>
View Quote

What is that a 16" barrel and a 9.5" MK4?
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 12:50:40 AM EDT
[#38]

Because it's not an SR-15. totally out of character for you

The only plausible solution is to ship it to me for proper disposal

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 7:24:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s748.photobucket.com/user/ragincajun1919/media/E17E90C6-988B-47E8-A807-5C7F0A71AC08_zpsnhcyn1t0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx125/ragincajun1919/E17E90C6-988B-47E8-A807-5C7F0A71AC08_zpsnhcyn1t0.jpg</a>
View Quote

Rail too short. Send to me I will make a SBR.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 7:47:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yep, we only have @ 12-14 Night Warriors total from all the Cola Warriors held so far.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well then, I am going to make PVS-7s cola warrior spec.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:20:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definately not.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:48:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

14.5" barrel.

Rail is for my SCWAR. Got bored last night and out that together from parts bin.

Not SR15
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:27:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

14.5" barrel.

Rail is for my SCWAR. Got bored last night and out that together from parts bin.

Not SR15
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

14.5" barrel.

Not SR15

Looks good but the barrel sticks out a little too much for my likes.  I wish G made a MK4 in 15" length.  Might have to go with a MK1, MK3 or the new MK8.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 3:52:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Mk4 in 13.5" I say
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:00:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:07:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

ewwww no.

Honestly i would wait till you can at a minimum get a 14. I'd rather not have NVG's than have 7c's
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ewwww no.

Honestly i would wait till you can at a minimum get a 14. I'd rather not have NVG's than have 7c's

At the three cola warriors that I've attended, (cw3, cwe1, cw4) I think everyone that ran at night used a pvs-14 or similar gen 3 monocular.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:13:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Looks good but the barrel sticks out a little too much for my likes.  I wish G made a MK4 in 15" length.  Might have to go with a MK1, MK3 or the new MK8.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

14.5" barrel.

Not SR15

Yeah, I might just go with the ALG MLOK on this after all.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:04:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Proto-CWAR
CWAR mod 0
CWAR mod 1
She CWAR

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:06:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:12:29 AM EDT
[#50]
I really want a 12.5" "pistol" so that's next. I have an aimpoint and lower with that lwrc ultra compact on the way.

Might try a mk8 of they make a 10" version.

Page / 82
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top