BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 5:44:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

But what Dino hasn't told us is that he was using right-handed bullets.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm calling bullshit on that.  A few friends and I did that on his farm with a tower of the right height and built a course we could tow the car on using ropes.   I still have the Carcano we all used, it was the carbine model as that was what I had.   All of use were able to get multiple hits and none of us are legendary snipers.  

According to this thread you should have devgru call you…your elite skills are needed!!

I like to use a right handed scope with left handed bullets….it basically eliminates the coriolis effect with a properly filed firing pin.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 5:46:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Bet they didn't use magic boolits.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#3]
A team of experts assembled by the Discovery Channel has recreated the assassination of John Fitzgerald Kennedy. Using modern blood spatter analysis, new artificial human body surrogates, and 3-D computer simulations, the team determined that the sixth floor of the Texas School Book Depository was the most likely origin of the shot that killed the 35th president of the United States.

Conspiracy theories abound on the number of shots fired, the number of shooters, and the location and identity of the shooter(s). The goal of Discovery Channel's Nov. 16th special, "JFK: Inside the Target Car," was to explore the theories and determine where the shots most likely came from using modern forensic science.

A mock-up of the Dallas, Texas crime scene was set up, including the depository, the "grassy knoll," and other nearby landmarks. Artificial surrogates of Kennedy were placed in a car. Sharpshooters then shot the surrogates from the model depository, the grassy knoll, and four other plausible locations.

Schliebe, along with Tom Bevel, an independent expert forensic investigator, were brought in to examine the simulated crime scene. Both scientists had no idea what the experiment was for or that it was a reenactment of the JFK assassination.

The two experts found a simulated gunshot would to the head that closely matched the wound Kennedy suffered. Most of the simulated body material had spattered forward into the car, consistent with a shot that entered the back of the head and exited toward the front. There was some back-spatter — material that flew back in the opposite direction of the bullet's trajectory — but not much.

The general lack of back spatter and the preponderance of spatter in another direction are two of the clues, among others, that the investigators used to pinpoint the origin of the shots.

"After Tom and I looked at the scene, we pointed up and back away from the vehicle," said Schliebe. "Apparently that lined up perfectly with where the sharpshooter had hit the model head."

The simulated brain material was made from a pig-skin-derived gelatin, dyed green. The skull surrogate is made from a special vinyl ester resin filled with calcium and proprietary fibers. The artificial skin uses a polyurethane and plasticizers to mimic human skin's physical properties. The head was even custom-fitted, based on Kennedy's hat size.

"The heads they used were quite interesting," said Bevel. "They were considerably more sophisticated than anything I've seen before

To animate it, the team looked at a video of the assassination filmed by Abraham Zapruder. The Zapruder film, as it's called, is generally believed to be the most complete video of the shooting because of its clear view of the motorcade and the height it was shot from.

Only two of the 486 Zapruder frames actually show Kennedy being shot. Computer graphics expert Doug Martin highlighted the red parts of the frames and the blood resulting from the wound, and plotted them onto the computer simulation to see where the fatal shot came from.

"I think this is the wave of the future," said Martin. "If we had this technology back in the '60s, I think it would have put a lot of the conspiracy theories to rest."

There you have it, the Discovery Channel back in 2008 put to bed any and all conspiracy theories on JFKs assassination.  

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 5:50:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I like to use a right handed scope with left handed bullets….it basically eliminates the coriolis effect with a properly filed firing pin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm calling bullshit on that.  A few friends and I did that on his farm with a tower of the right height and built a course we could tow the car on using ropes.   I still have the Carcano we all used, it was the carbine model as that was what I had.   All of use were able to get multiple hits and none of us are legendary snipers.  

According to this thread you should have devgru call you…your elite skills are needed!!

Well, I mean, yeah... but only if the target is moving right to left. Left to right? No amount of filing of that firing pin will offset the Coriolis effect. Not in this hemisphere, anyway.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 5:52:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Well, I mean, yeah... but only if the target is moving right to left. Left to right? No amount of filing of that firing pin will offset the Coriolis effect. Not in this hemisphere, anyway.
View Quote
If only JFK was on a treadmill.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 5:54:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A team of experts assembled by the Discovery Channel has recreated the assassination of John Fitzgerald Kennedy. Using modern blood spatter analysis, new artificial human body surrogates, and 3-D computer simulations, the team determined that the sixth floor of the Texas School Book Depository was the most likely origin of the shot that killed the 35th president of the United States.

Conspiracy theories abound on the number of shots fired, the number of shooters, and the location and identity of the shooter(s). The goal of Discovery Channel's Nov. 16th special, "JFK: Inside the Target Car," was to explore the theories and determine where the shots most likely came from using modern forensic science.

A mock-up of the Dallas, Texas crime scene was set up, including the depository, the "grassy knoll," and other nearby landmarks. Artificial surrogates of Kennedy were placed in a car. Sharpshooters then shot the surrogates from the model depository, the grassy knoll, and four other plausible locations.

Schliebe, along with Tom Bevel, an independent expert forensic investigator, were brought in to examine the simulated crime scene. Both scientists had no idea what the experiment was for or that it was a reenactment of the JFK assassination.

The two experts found a simulated gunshot would to the head that closely matched the wound Kennedy suffered. Most of the simulated body material had spattered forward into the car, consistent with a shot that entered the back of the head and exited toward the front. There was some back-spatter — material that flew back in the opposite direction of the bullet's trajectory — but not much.

The general lack of back spatter and the preponderance of spatter in another direction are two of the clues, among others, that the investigators used to pinpoint the origin of the shots.

"After Tom and I looked at the scene, we pointed up and back away from the vehicle," said Schliebe. "Apparently that lined up perfectly with where the sharpshooter had hit the model head."

The simulated brain material was made from a pig-skin-derived gelatin, dyed green. The skull surrogate is made from a special vinyl ester resin filled with calcium and proprietary fibers. The artificial skin uses a polyurethane and plasticizers to mimic human skin's physical properties. The head was even custom-fitted, based on Kennedy's hat size.

"The heads they used were quite interesting," said Bevel. "They were considerably more sophisticated than anything I've seen before

To animate it, the team looked at a video of the assassination filmed by Abraham Zapruder. The Zapruder film, as it's called, is generally believed to be the most complete video of the shooting because of its clear view of the motorcade and the height it was shot from.

Only two of the 486 Zapruder frames actually show Kennedy being shot. Computer graphics expert Doug Martin highlighted the red parts of the frames and the blood resulting from the wound, and plotted them onto the computer simulation to see where the fatal shot came from.

"I think this is the wave of the future," said Martin. "If we had this technology back in the '60s, I think it would have put a lot of the conspiracy theories to rest."

There you have it, the Discovery Channel back in 2008 put to bed any and all conspiracy theories on JFKs assassination.  

View Quote

There are way more to the theories out there than just the discourse about where the shots came from. You've seen people bring them up in this very thread, as if they were relevant to said question of where the shots came from.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Three shots in 6 seconds on a moving target With a WWII Carcano?

You must be very good.
View Quote

Close range. SLOW moving target moving SLOWLY away from you. Its not that hard. 3 Center mass shots one is going to  connect for sure.

You must be a  horrible shot or really don't understand the actual shooting.

I think some of you guys just need the conspiracy to be true.  Ever shoot a Carcano? They are nowhere as bad as the guys that never shot one say they are.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 5:58:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

i have looked into this before and agree the shots were not obtainable by a single shooter given the known variables

View Quote

LOL how did you come to that conclusion?
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 5:59:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

i have looked into this before and agree the shots were not obtainable by a single shooter given the known variables

View Quote

I have stood in that window.  (Now you can only stand next to it.  But, there was a time during a reno that the space was open.
It was very doable.  Relative motion for a rested rifle, yea it could be done.  Especially by a guy in an adrenaline rush.  
Almost a straight away shot series.  Just cycle bolt and raise muzzle a bit.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

What if an Australian fires it?
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 6:06:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Bingo...   only a lefty would even attempt firing on a moving target moving to the right.  Oswald was right handed.  The FBI commented that the rifle was zeroed for a left handed shooter... and zeroed by shimming the scope.
We'll never know the truth about the most infamous murder in history.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
About like Jan. 6th being an insurrection…

Bingo...   only a lefty would even attempt firing on a moving target moving to the right.  Oswald was right handed.  The FBI commented that the rifle was zeroed for a left handed shooter... and zeroed by shimming the scope.
We'll never know the truth about the most infamous murder in history.

There was almost no need to move the rifle laterally.  It was very close to straight away shots.  Very little angle movement.  
I agree that it would have been even easier for a left handed shooter, but then working the bolt would have been difficult.
But that does not mean it was difficult to to do for a right handed shooter.  
I used to have doubts about Oswald being able to pull that off.  But, during a museum renovation, I had a chance to stand at that window and look down as cars drove by.  
It was a very doable shot.  The car was going slow on purpose.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 6:06:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Three shots in 11.2 seconds, and he missed once.  Remember the timer doesn't start until he shoots the first shot.   He likely had a long time setting up before he fires his first shot.  Under a hundred yards, not that difficult at all.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
no, we used ambi bullets, but we were all right handed so we sighted it in right handed.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I like to use a right handed scope with left handed bullets .it basically eliminates the coriolis effect with a properly filed firing pin.
View Quote
dang, I wish we'd have though of that.

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 6:25:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Alcohol is a banned performance enhancing substance in the Olympics because it suppresses tremors...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think half the hunters in Michigan could have made those shots, even with the BAC they usually have during deer season.
Alcohol is a banned performance enhancing substance in the Olympics because it suppresses tremors...

I have to remember that. Wait until I tell the guys at camp that they're using a performance enhancing substance!
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 6:38:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I like how GD argues what shots aren’t possible while unknowing tells us they don’t train / shoot.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

As well it took him three shots to even get a single head shot.
View Quote

In an alternate reality oswald didn't hit til shot 5 and those conspiracy theories are trying to duplicate 5 shots in 15 seconds.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 6:49:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Deep state killed him.

Same deep state getting everyone to go die in foreign wars
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#19]
A whole lot of WTF occurred on that street that makes me wonder.

However, it is the culmination of events that happened after that lead me to believe that Oswald was not acting alone.

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 7:10:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've been there, and looked out the window to the X they have painted on the street. A half ass rifle shooter could make that shot easy.
View Quote

Same.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 7:15:36 PM EDT
[#21]
I saw Kennedy as a kid when he came thru El Paso before he was shot. I also read a lot of books about the assignation and I honestly believed that he wasnt alone in shooting him
When I found out the truth about the so called "magic bullet" I started seeing things differently.
Read Oswald was a lousy shot but being a Marine he is taught to shoot and he did fine.
The rifle he used was junk.I cant believe a rifle that was made from 1891 till 1945 was crap.I just cant see Mussolini equipping his military with a inferior rifle.
Yeah there are a lot of stange things about all of it but its obvious that Oswald did it
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 8:06:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Three shots in 11.2 seconds, and he missed once.  Remember the timer doesn't start until he shoots the first shot.[/size=4]   He likely had a long time setting up before he fires his first shot.  [/size] Under a hundred yards, not that difficult at all.
View Quote

And yet the first shot was apparently a clear miss.
With the next two hurried follow-ups hitting Kennedy.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 8:07:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

And yet the first shot was apparently a clear miss.
With the next two hurried follow-ups hitting Kennedy.
View Quote

It was likely deflected by a tree branch or road sign.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 8:10:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

However, it is the culmination of events that happened after that lead me to believe that Oswald was not acting alone.

View Quote

LBJ had access and motive on several fronts.

I think some of the evidence is compelling.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've been there, and looked out the window to the X they have painted on the street. A half ass rifle shooter could make that shot easy.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 8:14:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Everyone talks about the fact there's no way for a shooter to make those shots.

What if Oswald just got lucky?
View Quote

all the conspiracy nuts like to talk about magic bullets and impossible shots, but every reconstruction i've ever seen, its a stupid easy set of shots, the car was going very slowly, and in the last 2 directly away, making it immaterial.  the way JFK was twisted around in the car at that time accounts for all the "magic bullet" nonsense.  

all together, it seems perfectly reasonable to conclude that Oswald did it, and that any reasonable shot could have.  

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 8:16:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was a program that gave a pretty good argument for GHWB. But yeah, LBJ had his own private hitman. GHWB outsourced his work...
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 8:46:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The two experts found a simulated gunshot would to the head that closely matched the wound Kennedy suffered. Most of the simulated body material had spattered forward into the car, consistent with a shot that entered the back of the head and exited toward the front. There was some back-spatter   material that flew back in the opposite direction of the bullet's trajectory   but not much.

View Quote
JFK Assassination in New Light

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 9:06:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I just went to Google Street View and checked out Dealy Plaza. That doesn’t even do it justice on how close that shot was or how small that grassy knoll is compared to actually being there.
View Quote

“They” have manipulated Google maps and to make it look bigger
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 9:12:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Oswald did it. My grandma could have made that shot.

That whole line of inquiry and the conspiracy theories surrounding it were perpetuated to obfuscate the actual criminal conspiracy that lead to the assassination.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 9:35:33 PM EDT
[#31]
I've made a headshot on a buck deer running wide open at roughly 160 yards left to right at 90 degrees. I don't see how anybody could NOT believe this particular shot was taken.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 9:54:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Back...and to the left
View Quote

Mimi Beardsley?
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 10:08:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I shot 3 does at 100 yards once, a shot every 2 seconds, using a model 7 bolt action in 308 while standing, and the last 2 running after the first shot.
View Quote

Lee Harvey! My man!
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 10:10:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just went to Google Street View and checked out Dealy Plaza. That doesn’t even do it justice on how close that shot was or how small that grassy knoll is compared to actually being there.

there was actually a culvert drain there that was torn out some years after for a road construction project IIRC.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 10:34:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, this. Easy shot from a supported position with a scoped rifle…
…and Hathcock never said any such thing. He wouldn’t have needed six seconds, or more than one shot.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 10:47:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This right here

5.56 to the back of the head. A secret service blunder like that would cause all the lore and mystery we've endured.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 10:48:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

…and Hathcock never said any such thing. He wouldn’t have needed six seconds, or more than one shot.
View Quote

I went to the Book Depository museum maybe 30 years ago, it's an interesting place to visit.  Lots of displays about the time period as well.

You can't look through the window Oswalt fired from, as it's glassed off and made to look like how it was that day, but you can get 5 or so feet away, and look down at the place where Kennedy was shot.

A very easy shot.  I think the distance is 60 yards or so.  When I was in the Army during the same time, on the rifle range there was a half man sized target that would pop up at 75 yards, and you could blast it without really even looking at it while you scanned for pop ups at the 250 and 300 yard distances.

The magic bullet trajectory is explained by how Kennedy and Connelly were moving at the time.

The "pristine bullet" looks like hell on the other side of it.

The most likely scenario is that dirty little communist Oswald killed Kennedy, and the government had too many embarrassing details about their dealings with him, between the FBI being asleep at the wheel when Oswalt tried to kill the General a bit before, to the CIA and their spying on him.  So they covered up the parts that would have brought embarrassment to their agencies, and over time, people turned that into a grand conspiracy.

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 10:49:20 PM EDT
[#38]

It didn't happen.

There isn't a shred of evidence nor a single eyewitness account to corroborate this theory.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:20:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Go watch Oliver Stone's JFK: Revisited documentary and you'll never trust the government again.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:26:21 PM EDT
[#40]
"Private Joker."

"Sir, in the Marines, Sir!"

"In the Marines! Outstanding!"
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:40:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
"Private Joker."

"Sir, in the Marines, Sir!"

"In the Marines! Outstanding!"
View Quote

From the school book suppository...?
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:44:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have been there as well. The above post is absolutely correct. I could have made that shot with a pellet gun…
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:53:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I went to the Book Depository museum maybe 30 years ago, it's an interesting place to visit.  Lots of displays about the time period as well.

You can't look through the window Oswalt fired from, as it's glassed off and made to look like how it was that day, but you can get 5 or so feet away, and look down at the place where Kennedy was shot.

A very easy shot.  I think the distance is 60 yards or so.  When I was in the Army during the same time, on the rifle range there was a half man sized target that would pop up at 75 yards, and you could blast it without really even looking at it while you scanned for pop ups at the 250 and 300 yard distances.

The magic bullet trajectory is explained by how Kennedy and Connelly were moving at the time.

The most likely scenario is that dirty little communist Oswald killed Kennedy, and the government had too many embarrassing details about their dealings with him, between the FBI being asleep at the wheel when Oswalt tried to kill the General a bit before, to the CIA and their spying on him.  So they covered up the parts that would have brought embarrassment to their agencies, and over time, people turned that into a grand conspiracy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 12:48:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Oswald acted alone
The 3 shots on a slow moving vehicle away from him were cake.
Dealy Plaza is a small area. No way a shooter could be hiding anywhere other than the Depository.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 1:15:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Oswald acted alone
The 3 shots on a slow moving vehicle away from him were cake.
Dealy Plaza is a small area. No way a shooter could be hiding anywhere other than the Depository.
View Quote

Yeah, that's what surprised me about the Plaza area when I saw it.  I'd heard about the grassy knoll, thinking that there was some distance from it to the street.  But it's all in this little compact area.  Someone on the knoll could have thrown a bottle and hit the limo, so I don't see how there could be a gunman there without them being easily seen.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 2:07:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It didn't happen.

There isn't a shred of evidence nor a single eyewitness account to corroborate this theory.
View Quote

Watch JFK: The Smoking Gun and decided for yourself. That's all I'm saying.

Link Posted: 10/31/2023 2:17:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

QFTMFT
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

QFTMFT

This. It wasn't an incredible feat of shooting skill.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 2:46:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Was that written after Hathcock's death when he could not refute the quote?

I suspect some fibbing going on.  The shots weren't all that difficult.

That said, was there a guy by the RR track fence or in the storm gutter with a Remington XP100 in .222 rem as well? It would not surprise me at all.

Trust no one Mulder.

I just pulled out the 7.35mm Carcano.  Bone dry action, no ammo, I dry fired at thee objects approx 80 yards away that needed me to swing in a 70 degree arc.  First dry run was a smidge slower than six seconds.  I had a hitch in the first unlocking of the bolt as I hadn't cycled it in years.  There is kind of a increase in force needed at 87% of the upstroke.   once that was identified there was no issue in bolt cycle.  

Second run was in five seconds.  Granted no ammo was fired.  I would likely have hit at least 2 out of three as had Oswald and recoil recover would have taken a slosh of time.  

They did a tower video on a range with pro shooters and novice shooters on a documentary I once watched with a 6.5 carcano set up.  They found it doable.

None of the shots are that far.
View Quote
My thought too.   As a long time admirer of Hathcock and reader of his exploits, I certainly never heard that story about him before.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 2:46:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
We can watch live footage of our president being gruesomely murdered over and over again but we can't see footage of Osama getting allegedly killed?!
View Quote
That's right.  Your government knows what's best for you.  Stop questioning them.  

BTW, your new china-virus-government-injection-booster shot is now available, be sure to go get it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 2:54:38 AM EDT
[#50]
"A CBS News Inquiry: The Warren Report" (1967) Rifle Tests Preview
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top