Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 3:02:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I too have been there and seen firsthand the particulars. As a lifelong hunter I don’t think it would be all that difficult.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 3:07:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Carlos hathcock shot a guy through the scope at 1,000 yards but can’t shoot a guy at less than 100 ?

Bullshit.
View Quote

The round through the scope, if it actually happened(the rifle with the scope shot out "disappeared" when he turned it in) was one hell pg a lot closer than 1000 yards. IIRC that one was also under 100.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 3:09:59 PM EDT
[#3]
The Warren Commission allowed that he had to shoot through the trees obscuring his view of the car. They further stated this was not an issue because by the date of the shooting the leaves were off the trees.

Ummm…those are Texas Live Oaks. They drop their leaves in March.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 3:11:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

All the simulations I have seen use modern Bullets, not the round nose shell that was found at the scene.  If you can make those shots in 6 seconds.  You need to be on the Counter sniper team for the DevGru.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been there, and looked out the window to the X they have painted on the street. A half ass rifle shooter could make that shot easy.

All the simulations I have seen use modern Bullets, not the round nose shell that was found at the scene.  If you can make those shots in 6 seconds.  You need to be on the Counter sniper team for the DevGru.
How is the bullet type affecting that?
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 3:11:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I will just say this one thing before I dip out of this ridiculous thread.

For all you keyboard warriors/experts/conspiracy theorists, do yourself a favor and VISIT the book depository and peer our the window.

You will immediately realize you've been played for a fool by all these "experts" who talk about how impossible these shots were.

People have been writing books and making money propagating this crap.

This bullshit about "left handed vs. right handed" zeroing is laughable. For Christ's sake, you're on Arfcom spewing nonsense like that making yourself look like a fool.

Get out of the basement and get a life!
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 3:17:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

You've never held a gun in your life, have you.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This is arfcom where everyone just hoards guns but never shoots them.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didn't someone ~20 years ago set up an on range mock up of the location including a moving tram of dummy targets?  They could pull it off repeatedly. It's something like 66 yards,  right?

You can believe .gov, or you can believe the craziest conspiracy theory,  but the repository to car shot was doable by someone with experience.

This is arfcom where everyone just hoards guns but never shoots them.  

If it took common 6.5mm .264”bullets instead of the .268” bullets I’d own and shoot one.

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 3:19:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Worse conspiracy thread ever
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 3:20:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I was reading about the j f k assassination conspiracies before a lot of people who've posted in this Thread were born. I initially believed in a conspiracy but over the years saw that  an analysis of the forensic evidence supports the conclusion that oswald did the shooting alone  and there's nothing in the forensic evidence which rules that out conclusively.
Whether oswald acted alone or was put up to it is another question entirely. I wonder why he went to a movie theater after the shooting, was it a meet up with a handler, or just the action of someone who had no real plan for what to do after the assassination.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 3:24:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've been there, and looked out the window to the X they have painted on the street. A half ass rifle shooter could make that shot easy.
View Quote

I think I could make that shot. But that shot did not kill JFK.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 3:24:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You've never held a gun in your life, have you.
View Quote

I never saw a round-nosed shell before, have you? Every shell I ever saw was empty. The bullets recovered are a different story.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, you’re serious?

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 3:25:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe they were left-handed bullets?
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL If you are being serious then you obviously have zero training or experience with actual firearms.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 3:30:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Bingo...   only a lefty would even attempt firing on a moving target moving to the right.  Oswald was right handed.  The FBI commented that the rifle was zeroed for a left handed shooter... and zeroed by shimming the scope.
We'll never know the truth about the most infamous murder in history.
View Quote

How do you zero a rifle for a left or right handed shooter?

The cross hairs match the barrel and the flight of the bullet, or they don't.

Explain how you would set up a scope that only worked for a left eye, but not a right eye (or vise versa). any off axis alignment of the scope would make it not match the flight of a bullet.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 3:35:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Been done a million times.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 3:40:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Always had the impression it was a difficult shot. First time I actually visited the site I was like "That's it?" Anyone with any rifle experience could do it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 3:56:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I was reading about the j f k assassination conspiracies before a lot of people who've posted in this Thread were born. I initially believed in a conspiracy but over the years saw that  an analysis of the forensic evidence supports the conclusion that oswald did the shooting alone  and there's nothing in the forensic evidence which rules that out conclusively.
Whether oswald acted alone or was put up to it is another question entirely. I wonder why he went to a movie theater after the shooting, was it a meet up with a handler, or just the action of someone who had no real plan for what to do after the assassination.
View Quote

He went to the theater because it completed a comp to the Lincoln assassination. Booth killed in a theater and fled to a warehouse.  Oswald killed from a warehouse and fled to a theater.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 4:00:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

So, according to your theory, no Buck has ever been shot?

History agrees that he Missed the first shot.  

Then, he got down to business and put two on target.     What people don’t understand, is that the target was almost stationary, because it was moving directly away, at a slow speed.    

Relax.  I didn’t insult you.    Anyone electing to take a shot like that, would be (by definition) a stone cold assassin.     Someone who already made peace with the possible repercussions, including death.  

Every person or animal ever purposely shot, disproves your theory.    It’s just not that difficult, especially when you have a good rest.

Look, This is Arfcom.     Not facebook.   We know about guns and shooting.  

Somebody already posted the video which proves it wasn’t a difficult feat.   Did you see it?       The thread is Done.

Everything you thought you “Knew” about this topic was simply wrong.  
That’s not an insult.  

We’re all wrong about something, sometime.
View Quote

Either intentionally or unintentionally, you are missing the entire point of what I am posting.

I have not made any assertions other than there is a possibility of LHO having "buck fever."

Nothing more.
Nothing less.

Me posting  that "buck fever" exists somehow equates to "no person or animal has ever been purposely shot?"

That's an absurd statement and no where close to anything I have posted.

To clarify:

Does buck fever exist?
Yes.

Does every hunter experience it?
No.

Could that same condition manifest in a person commitng cold blooded murder.
Yes.

Does every cold blooded killer experience this feeling.
No.

Are there sociopaths that would not feel anything whilst commitng murder?
Yes.

You don't know how me or how much knowledge I may or may not posess in regards to firearms, their function and operation.

Or to use your words,

"Look, This is Arfcom.     Not facebook. We know about guns and shooting."

I will simply state that I was shooting for a few decades prior to the existence of arfcom, Facebook and the internet and leave it at that.

As to what I "know?"

To restate,

I don't belive the Warren Commission is 100 factual.

No one on this site knows or will know everything that occurred in Dealy Plaza in November 1963.

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 4:05:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
For all you keyboard warriors/experts/conspiracy theorists, do yourself a favor and VISIT the book depository and peer our the window.
You will immediately realize you've been played for a fool by all these "experts" who talk about how impossible these shots were.
View Quote

Too Easy
All they gotta do is release all the files if there’s no conspiracy.
_
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 4:08:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't give a fuck about a European's opinion on US politics or history.
View Quote

That's cool, man. I don't give a fuck what you think either.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 4:09:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Too Easy
All they gotta do is release all the files if there's no conspiracy.
_
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too Easy
All they gotta do is release all the files if there's no conspiracy.
_
Haven't like 95% of them already been released now?
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 4:12:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

People forget this mythical 6 seconds was from the first shot ringing out to the last. The first shot already locked and loaded he had the time from when the limo turned onto the street until he pulled the trigger to take aim (not sure the speed and distance from when it turned but he could have been aiming for 3-5 seconds before pulling the trigger the first time). THEN the six second clock starts. So it is 2 shots that you fire in six seconds. A lot less daunting than you try to make out.

The magic bullet was a mistake they made in the Warren commission assuming the seat place in the limousine were factory specs. When they had been modified for using with the president. Connelly was sitting a few inches down and to the right more than what the commission assumed. They also assumed he was sitting facing directly forward when he was twisting to his right after the first shot rang out. Great doc I saw on this they recreated the scene in a 3D computer program and lined it all up and then ballistic arch led right back to Oswald’s sniper hide. They broke down frame by frame of the zapruder film to show when the first shot thathit Kennedy and traveled through Connelly.

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 4:13:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I shot 3 does at 100 yards once, a shot every 2 seconds, using a model 7 bolt action in 308 while standing, and the last 2 running after the first shot.
View Quote

Your rifle is more accurate and the action easier to manipulate than the Carcano .
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 4:13:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I too was there and thought the same. Not a difficult shot.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 4:16:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congrats on telling everyone you can't shoot.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 4:17:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Your rifle is more accurate and the action easier to manipulate than the Carcano .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I shot 3 does at 100 yards once, a shot every 2 seconds, using a model 7 bolt action in 308 while standing, and the last 2 running after the first shot.

What about all the other people who did it using a Carcano?
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 4:19:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bro....anyone who can do that would be a counter sniper for devgru and then obviously not be allowed to talk about it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 4:22:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This.    Have you actually been there Op?
View Quote

Been to Dallas many times. Never to Dealy Plaza.  

Like I mentioned in the opening post. I was reading a book, came upon a quote that I thought people might find interesting and thought I might share it. I read a biography about Carlos Hathcock several years ago, and was surprised by it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What the fuck does that have to do with anything? What does to round nose supposedly do?

What MOA would you submit the complete system allegedly used by shooter held to? What does "DevGru" have to do with anything?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What the fuck does that have to do with anything? What does to round nose supposedly do?

What MOA would you submit the complete system allegedly used by shooter held to? What does "DevGru" have to do with anything?
We're talking about three shots from 35 to 100yrds, what the hell difference would a spitzer bullet make?  Spitzer (and boat tail) designs are only relevant at much longer ranges.  

There's a lot of in this thread, but the idea that it would be harder to shoot things up close with a non-spitzer bullet takes the cake.  How do you figure people manage to kill deer with round nose 30-30?

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 4:27:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Too Easy
_
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too Easy
_

Anything "they" released would be shouted down as propaganda, deep state swamp or some other buzzword from your camp. Buzzwords are important because it gives meaning,  and something to latch on to.

Edit. The only thing that matters.

Have you been there, and  can you make the shot?  

The only answer thats true, for a forum of hunters and shooters.

My 12yo can do it with a bolt action.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 4:32:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
To see the location in photos and to actually be there and see it with your own eyes are two different things. When I went through MEPS last time in Dallas I took a walk over to the location (literally across the street) and walked it all out and looked at a couple of the possibilities that have been brought up in many conspiracy theories. This was my impression…

First off it’s a ridiculously close shot. With the speed the motorcade was traveling and path of the road there was more than an ample window of opportunity to take those shots while the Presidents car would have been moving directly away from the target effectively making it as near to a stationary target as you can get without it actually stopping in the street. The window is in a near perfect location for those shots.

Second, the “grassy knoll” is such a very small area that once you actually see it you’re like “how the hell could someone have been hiding here”? It’s such a small area and people are standing all around it at the time of the assassination that there is just no way to have the ability to shoot and not be immediately heard or seen. Not only that but then you’re shooting at a target moving perpendicular from you, not to mention the fact that all the people standing around would have been in the way of the shot. I mean it’s literally as small as my front yard which ain’t saying much.

I often feel that the people that think it’s a hard shot to make would change their minds if they visit the location and have any knowledge of shooting at all. It really shifted my opinion on it all. From a simple standpoint of being doable or not there’s no doubt in my mind that it was quite possible for even a rather poor shot to make.

View Quote

This guy knows what he's talking about. You could read a hundred books and watch a thousand videos on the assassination, and you'll come to these exact same conclusions after spending five minutes in Dealey Plaza. The grassy knoll is way smaller and way closer to the road than you've been lead to believe. The notion that someone could touch off a centerfire rifle round from this location and not be an IMMEDIATE center of attention is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 4:40:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This guy knows what he's talking about. You could read a hundred books and watch a thousand videos on the assassination, and you'll come to these exact same conclusions after spending five minutes in Dealey Plaza. The grassy knoll is way smaller and way closer to the road than you've been lead to believe. The notion that someone could touch off a centerfire rifle round from this location and not be an IMMEDIATE center of attention is ridiculous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To see the location in photos and to actually be there and see it with your own eyes are two different things. When I went through MEPS last time in Dallas I took a walk over to the location (literally across the street) and walked it all out and looked at a couple of the possibilities that have been brought up in many conspiracy theories. This was my impression…

First off it’s a ridiculously close shot. With the speed the motorcade was traveling and path of the road there was more than an ample window of opportunity to take those shots while the Presidents car would have been moving directly away from the target effectively making it as near to a stationary target as you can get without it actually stopping in the street. The window is in a near perfect location for those shots.

Second, the “grassy knoll” is such a very small area that once you actually see it you’re like “how the hell could someone have been hiding here”? It’s such a small area and people are standing all around it at the time of the assassination that there is just no way to have the ability to shoot and not be immediately heard or seen. Not only that but then you’re shooting at a target moving perpendicular from you, not to mention the fact that all the people standing around would have been in the way of the shot. I mean it’s literally as small as my front yard which ain’t saying much.

I often feel that the people that think it’s a hard shot to make would change their minds if they visit the location and have any knowledge of shooting at all. It really shifted my opinion on it all. From a simple standpoint of being doable or not there’s no doubt in my mind that it was quite possible for even a rather poor shot to make.

I'll even give up the grassy lawn for sake of this argument.  Call it fog of war or whatever. Nobody noticed the shooter or shots coming from the manicured grass lawn, the ghillie
suit was perfect, icicle bullets,, cia men in black  erasure
...idk, whatever.  

It was still completely and undoubtedly a shot (3 shots) that could be made by more than 75 percent of all humans alive at the time, rifle experience or no.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 4:49:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Like I mentioned in the opening post. I was reading a book, came upon a quote that I thought people might find interesting and thought I might share it. I read a biography about Carlos Hathcock several years ago, and was surprised by it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll bet Carlos Hathcock would be more surprised by the quote than you.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or, he'd laugh if he remembered meeting a crazed nut claiming the shot was impossible and wanting his opinion.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 4:57:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
We're talking about three shots from 35 to 100yrds, what the hell difference would a spitzer bullet make?  Spitzer (and boat tail) designs are only relevant at much longer ranges.  

There's a lot of in this thread, but the idea that it would be harder to shoot things up close with a non-spitzer bullet takes the cake.  How do you figure people manage to kill deer with round nose 30-30?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They get assists from people with ARs having negligent discharges.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 5:06:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

They get assists from people with ARs having negligent discharges.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 5:14:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would love to know how you know the inherent mechanical accuracy (or precision for that matter) of LHO's rifle.

Or do you insist that all Model 7s and all Carcanos have exactly the same accuracy (or precision)?
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 5:15:07 PM EDT
[#39]
I just went to Google Street View and checked out Dealy Plaza. That doesn’t even do it justice on how close that shot was or how small that grassy knoll is compared to actually being there.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 5:16:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Would love to know how you know the inherent mechanical accuracy (or precision for that matter) of LHO's rifle.

Or do you insist that all Model 7s and all Carcanos have exactly the same accuracy (or precision)?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This clip sums up both sides of this thread lol.

Destroying Jesse Ventura's Carcano claim: Bolt Action Rapid fire #shorts #jfk

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 5:20:45 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm calling bullshit on that.  A few friends and I did that on his farm with a tower of the right height and built a course we could tow the car on using ropes.   I still have the Carcano we all used, it was the carbine model as that was what I had.   All of use were able to get multiple hits and none of us are legendary snipers.  

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm calling bullshit on that.  A few friends and I did that on his farm with a tower of the right height and built a course we could tow the car on using ropes.   I still have the Carcano we all used, it was the carbine model as that was what I had.   All of use were able to get multiple hits and none of us are legendary snipers.  

View Quote

According to this thread you should have devgru call you…your elite skills are needed!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 5:31:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yes, but you're looking at it from a single-shot perspective.  You are quantifying this by thinking, I could easily be here in this window, aim and fire one shot with a rifle at that X and get a hit at that distance.

Things you aren't taking into account:

- It was 3 shots in just under 6 seconds on a bolt action rifle.  Two have to be hits.
- Target was moving.  Albeit slowly, it was moving.
- Stress (time, cover, ensuring you're not seen/stopped by others in the building, etc)
- Tree and foliage in the way (at the time).
- Crappy rifle and crappy ammo.

I'm not saying that Oswald didn't do it - just pointing out the absurdity of simply going to Dealey Plaza, into the TSBD and looking out the window thinking, "wow - what an easy shot".
View Quote

Having actually owned several Carcano rifles, that part right there is difficult to do just dry firing it. Several family members tried it also & none could manipulate the bolt that fast.

Much less the difficulty added of the stress of shooting a moving target which just happened to be the President of the United States that had multiple armed agents around him that would shoot back.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Having actually owned several Carcano rifles, that part right there is difficult to do just dry firing it. Several family members tried it also & none could manipulate the bolt that fast.

Much less the difficulty added of the stress of shooting a moving target which just happened to be the President of the United States that had multiple armed agents around him that would shoot back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, but you're looking at it from a single-shot perspective.  You are quantifying this by thinking, I could easily be here in this window, aim and fire one shot with a rifle at that X and get a hit at that distance.

- It was 3 shots in just under 6 seconds on a bolt action rifle.  Two have to be hits.
- Stress (time, cover, ensuring you're not seen/stopped by others in the building, etc)

I'm not saying that Oswald didn't do it - just pointing out the absurdity of simply going to Dealey Plaza, into the TSBD and looking out the window thinking, "wow - what an easy shot".

Videos have been posted. Also remember that the time doesn't start at the "beep", it starts at the report of the 1st shot.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Another aspect the conspiracy guys get wrong is the fixation on three shots.  He had as many shots as it took to make a Good hit, run out of mag or lose car under the overpass
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 5:36:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've shot about every clunky older bolt action ever made, and the Carcano isn't even remotely the worst.  It is certainly doable.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 5:37:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its was fire(clock starts, Breathe fire, Breathe breathe fire) 6 seconds.

Everyone here has done this.

Edit. Also own a carcano.  It ain't bad and lots of people are full of shit, either blaming the site, the rifle, or the boogeyman, having never done the least amount of homework and just sitting for the sat exam.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

According to this thread you should have devgru call you…your elite skills are needed!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But what Dino hasn't told us is that he was using right-handed bullets.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 5:40:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Another aspect the conspiracy guys get wrong is the fixation on three shots.  He had as many shots as it took to make a Good hit, run out of mag or lose car under the overpass
View Quote

As well it took him three shots to even get a single head shot.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I’m not familiar with a Carcano but three shots from an M4 would be butter from up here. Those trees weren’t blocking his view back in ‘63. That being said, I don’t think Oswald acted alone.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180048/IMG_0411_jpeg-3009583.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everyone talks about the fact there's no way for a shooter to make those shots.

What if Oswald just got lucky?

I’m not familiar with a Carcano but three shots from an M4 would be butter from up here. Those trees weren’t blocking his view back in ‘63. That being said, I don’t think Oswald acted alone.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180048/IMG_0411_jpeg-3009583.JPG

Impossible shot!  
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top