Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 72
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 2:18:05 PM EDT
[#1]
So, I have assembled my Ender 3.  Yeah, I did the extruder upgrade.

Attachment Attached File

Here is what happens at <200°  (Spoiler alert: the extruder "slips" as it pushes, and nothing comes out of the tip during the print.  If I run the extruder with the tip hot at 200°, I make a pile of melted filament

Here is it working when I bumped up to 220°

BEAUTIFUL printing on glass with a heated bed!!!!!!!

I tried to start a print this AM at 225°, and I got the same binding as in video 1.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 10:30:45 PM EDT
[#2]
OK, this is what I got from videos when doing pre-purchase research on the ender 3:  Check the bowden tube fittings.  If the tube doesn't stay stationary during the whole process can get slippage.  If the bowden tube does not extend all the way to the nozzle, you can get a plug there.

Better fittings (w/metal teeth) can reduce the likelihood of the tube moving.  They aren't expensive (& you probably need to change out the tube every 100 hours of print).  This is what I bought for my ender 3 (should be here tomorrow):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FPJHRTQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can make the stock fittings less likely to slip if you add a clip to keep them from moving towards the "release" position.  There are models on Thingiverse, an example:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2677526

Hope this makes some sense & has some relevance to your situation ...
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 10:40:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Just got my Ender 3 in this afternoon.   I did the assembly using a video for guidance -  Creality Ender 3 assembly and pro build tips   which was good for pointing out some additional steps you can take to ensure that the frame is square & the print head beam is square to the frame.  It also had some good pointers for bed leveling  & a link to an .stl file for checking that initial leveling by printing some postage stamp size thin squares at all four corners & the middle.

I bought the coated glass bed along with the printer, so that got installed prior to the leveling.   After following the instructions, the test file printed very nicely.  Five little PLA postage stamps that popped off easily once the bed cooled, just using a piece of post-it as a spatula.  The machine is currently printing the little dog sample g-code file & everything is looking good.

The sample filament was running out, so I switched to a roll of silver.  The pause & resume worked properly, but I should have pushed a little more out & cleaned off the excess before starting as the first bit of the resume may have been a bit light.

finished up OK

Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:49:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just got my Ender 3 in this afternoon.   I did the assembly using a video for guidance -  Creality Ender 3 assembly and pro build tips   which was good for pointing out some additional steps you can take to ensure that the frame is square & the print head beam is square to the frame.  It also had some good pointers for bed leveling  & a link to an .stl file for checking that initial leveling by printing some postage stamp size thin squares at all four corners & the middle.

I bought the coated glass bed along with the printer, so that got installed prior to the leveling.   After following the instructions, the test file printed very nicely.  Five little PLA postage stamps that popped off easily once the bed cooled, just using a piece of post-it as a spatula.  The machine is currently printing the little dog sample g-code file & everything is looking good.

http://www.skhowell.com/images/20181203_224757.jpg

The sample filament was running out, so I switched to a roll of silver.  The pause & resume worked properly, but I should have pushed a little more out & cleaned off the excess before starting as the first bit of the resume may have been a bit light.

finished up OK

http://www.skhowell.com/images/20181204_073142.jpg
View Quote
I was having an issue with the extruder gear "slipping".  The problem was, the print nozzle was against the glass, and wasn't allowing the melted PLA to exit!  I went in to the marketplace in CURA, and added the "Z Offset".  Printing my cable chain now!

Thoughts on the Ender 3, in no order:
- It is QUIET.
- It has a learning curve over my cookie cutter makerbot replicator.
- After building it, and following a few build videos, it is amazingly SQUARE and true.
- I'm not a big fan of the 4 wheels (2 with the offsets) to tighten the bed to the rail.
- If you install the Y dampener for the motor, look and verify that the bed can still go full travel and be able to depress the liit switch.  Moving my stepper motor outward caused it to bump in to the x frame that holds the heated bed up, and it would make a horrible sound when it couldn't get to that limit switch.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:25:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was having an issue with the extruder gear "slipping".  The problem was, the print nozzle was against the glass, and wasn't allowing the melted PLA to exit!  I went in to the marketplace in CURA, and added the "Z Offset".  Printing my cable chain now!

- It is QUIET.
- After building it, and following a few build videos, it is amazingly SQUARE and true.
- I'm not a big fan of the 4 wheels (2 with the offsets) to tighten the bed to the rail.
- If you install the Y dampener for the motor, look and verify that the bed can still go full travel and be able to depress the liit switch.  Moving my stepper motor outward caused it to bump in to the x frame that holds the heated bed up, and it would make a horrible sound when it couldn't get to that limit switch.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

finished up OK

- It is QUIET.
Just to double check, did adding a z-offset fix your problem described at the top of the page? Have you tuned away elephant footing?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:43:25 PM EDT
[#6]
The replacement bowden tube material & fittings came in today.  No comparison oem vs replacment.  The new fittings hold the tube rock solid (metal teeth, not plastic).

In the shot, I'm printing parts for vibration damping feet.  Not sure how much good they may do, but will find out.   I printed a temp tower to check the PLA I'm currently using.  I was changing nozzle temps manually every 5mm,  then found out I could have used CURA post-processing scripts to automatically do the temp change at the desired depths (doh!)  I'll have to save a new version of the file with the temp setting scripts imbedded for use later to check new filament.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:57:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just to double check, did adding a z-offset fix your problem described at the top of the page? Have you tuned away elephant footing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

finished up OK

- It is QUIET.
Yes, the Z Offset seems to have fixed the problem.  I've been printing all day, and it only bound up a few times.  I have the offset set at 0.25mm.  Might go to 0.3 mm.  No elephant footing.

ALL: Having trouble with random 3d printing issues?  Look here!

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:00:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The replacement bowden tube material & fittings came in today.  No comparison oem vs replacment.  The new fittings hold the tube rock solid (metal teeth, not plastic).

http://www.skhowell.com/images/new bowden.jpg

In the shot, I'm printing parts for vibration damping feet.  Not sure how much good they may do, but will find out.   I printed a temp tower to check the PLA I'm currently using.  I was changing nozzle temps manually every 5mm,  then found out I could have used CURA post-processing scripts to automatically do the temp change at the desired depths (doh!)  I'll have to save a new version of the file with the temp setting scripts imbedded for use later to check new filament.
View Quote
@nikdfish

3 things:

What's the ASIN on the fittings?

I got rid of the zip locks. Now my tubing floats normally with no pinch points.  The wiring?  I suspended it from the filament spool bracket with a long, lazy zip tie.  I might print something to support it, but for now, all stresses have been removed.

Have a link on this temperature tower with the temp scripts built in?  Interested in learning how to set that up.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 5:27:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
@nikdfish

3 things:

I got rid of the zip locks. Now my tubing floats normally with no pinch points.  The wiring?  I suspended it from the filament spool bracket with a long, lazy zip tie.  I might print something to support it, but for now, all stresses have been removed.

Have a link on this temperature tower with the temp scripts built in?  Interested in learning how to set that up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.skhowell.com/images/new bowden.jpg

@nikdfish

3 things:

The ASIN from his link is : B07FPJHRTQ
Amazon Product
  • PTFE Blue Tubing - the blue color teflon tube outside diameter 4mm, inside diameter 2mm, density 2.15-2.20g/cm3
  • PC4-M6 fittings - thread M6/3mm, inner diameter(blue end) 4mm, fit for the tube whose outer diameter is 4mm
  • PC4-M10 fittings - thread M10/6mm, inner diameter(black end) 4mm, fit for the tube whose outer diameter is 4mm

Link Posted: 12/6/2018 6:30:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Bought my son an Ender 3 Pro for Xmas. I'll be referencing this thread quite abit I'm sure. My 3d printer is a forge and anvil, this new tech is witchcraft to me but it does seem to be something that can be extremely useful.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@nikdfish

3 things:

View Quote
The video that gave me that aha! moment about adding scripts to an existing g-code file via Cura was this one :

Cura 3.2.1 vs Temperature Tower take 2

When setting tweaks based on Z height, you can specify either layer count or actual vertical measurement.  You can also do things like automatically pause a print to change filament color, etc.

I haven't saved an edited g-code yet, but when I do I will post a link
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:39:38 AM EDT
[#12]
I found this on Thingiverse. Pretty neat. I had an an idea to make sets of these to give to my mother and my sister for the holiday but holy fook, it's a 35 hour print. Maybe each will only get one.

Link Posted: 12/8/2018 4:22:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, that was fun while it lasted. Amazon showed up with some holiday colored filament that I ordered so I thought I would get busy making some candy dishes mentioned in my last post. I figured that I would let my Tornado print the bowl and have the Ender print the smaller parts. Get things sliced up and my micro SD  card doesn't have printer files on it. For some reason it has system files from my cell phone Then the PC decided that it didn't want to read that card at all. OK, fuck it, the Tornado can just print everything. No problems reading the full size SD card. Get everything warmed up and level and hit print. Halfway through the first layer the extruder decided it didn't want to extrude. Took everything apart and there were no clogs or cooties in anything. Extruder gears look good and the stepper motor is working. Put it all back together, hit print and hey! it working. Half way through the first layer and it's back on strike.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 5:32:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Bought one of these (micro -> standard SD adapter)  for the Ender 3 so I'd have an alternative to the micro-SD:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D9JIUU0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works as advertised, but have mainly been printing via USB from CURA from the laptop next to the Ender-3 so I don't have to keep shuttling cards around when playing with different settings (still working through the first portions of the learning curve ...).

Any chance a fitting at one end of the bowden tube is letting the tube slide?
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 2:16:33 PM EDT
[#15]
My extruder clicks and slips every once in awhile.  I got rid of it for awhile by bumping up the Z axis offset.  I am up to 0.28mm of offset, and it comes and goes sporadically.

I redid my setup following the relevant portions of the Precision Alignment Guide:  Might be a FB link to a Creality community guide...

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 2:35:21 PM EDT
[#16]
So I have been plugging away quite happy with my AnyCubic Kossel Delta Ultra printers.
I've been successfully selling my military ordnance replicas and model rockets. I really like the delta configuration for round objects such as rockets.

I would like to catch up on any new technologies. So what is now out there at affordable prices?

Here are some thoughts I had to consider on my next printer purchases, there may be other new things, I'd love to hear.
1. I could benefit from dual extrusion for support for use with dissoluble support material.
2. How is wireless printing technology? Design on a computer and send wirelessly to printer?
3. I've been wondering if print quality has improved much over the past couple years. I just did a quick .4mm nozzle .1mm layer Yoda Last night, haven't even bothered cleaning it up yet. How does it compare to current printers?

Link Posted: 12/9/2018 2:47:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My extruder clicks and slips every once in awhile.  I got rid of it for awhile by bumping up the Z axis offset.  I am up to 0.28mm of offset, and it comes and goes sporadically.

I redid my setup following the relevant portions of the Precision Alignment Guide:  Might be a FB link to a Creality community guide...

Thoughts?
View Quote
The first extruder issue that I had the hardest time finding was that the Filament varied in size, it started out fine and then got slightly larger. I grabbed one of my spare nozzles and sure enough the filament wouldn't slide into the back of the nozzle. the area seen on the 3rd nozzle in this photo.

Additionally if you have a feeding tube and the filament doesn't slide back and forth freely through it, there can be enough resistance for the extruder to miss steps, this can also happen spontaneously if the filament is inconsistent across the spool

Most all my other extruder issues have been stoppages in the extruder throat tube, or damage to the ptfe tube inside the throat tube, typically plastic that has built up over time from pulling filament out that is hot or melting. Best to push through your new filament if you have to swap, but if you have to pull out from the extruder tube, do it at the lowest temperature it will pull free. I typically start tugging around 150c.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thoughts?
View Quote
This kind of stuff is why I switched my E3 to direct drive with a Bondtech BMG. The extruder really struggles to grip filament when more than a tiny amount of torque is needed. At minimum, I’d replace the extruder with this:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32904209624.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&productId=32904209624&productSubject=trianglelab-Drivegear-kit-dual-drive-gear-extruder-kit-Cloned-Btech-upgrade-for-Prusa-i3-3d-printer
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 3:26:26 PM EDT
[#19]
If I was buying a replacement extruder for my ender 3, I'd be taking a close look at this one:

https://www.seemecnc.com/products/ezrstruder
(SEEMECNC EZR STRUDER)

It is supposed to handle any 1.75 mm filaments, including the really soft ones like NinjaFlex .
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 7:12:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So I have been plugging away quite happy with my AnyCubic Kossel Delta Ultra printers.
I've been successfully selling my military ordnance replicas and model rockets. I really like the delta configuration for round objects such as rockets.

I would like to catch up on any new technologies. So what is now out there at affordable prices?

Here are some thoughts I had to consider on my next printer purchases, there may be other new things, I'd love to hear.
1. I could benefit from dual extrusion for support for use with dissoluble support material.
The least expensive dual extrusion from the factory is the "new" CR-10.  Or you could buy an Ender 3 and upgrade the main board and add a dual extruder.  I'm not certain which would cost less.
If money is no object you could get a Prusa MK3 with an MMU for 5 filament printing.

2. How is wireless printing technology? Design on a computer and send wirelessly to printer?
Get a Raspberry Pi 3 and put the Octoprint image on the SD card.  This assumes that your printer has a USB port and can be driven externally.  If not, both Creality printers and the Prusa can.
3. I've been wondering if print quality has improved much over the past couple years. I just did a quick .4mm nozzle .1mm layer Yoda Last night, haven't even bothered cleaning it up yet. How does it compare to current printers?
Your print of Yoda looks fine to me, but I imagine you've been tweaking hardware and slicer settings for a while.  You'll have to start that process all over again regardless of which printer you get.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/226828/nativity_yoda-766450.jpg
View Quote
Just in case you're color blind, the answers are inline and bold.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:09:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
it's not cheap but the mamorubot PP print surface is the shit. prints stick like they are welded and fully come loose on cooling. it also helps to fix the bed warping issues from the spring stress on the glass bed. i haven't needed glue or tape since i got it. if the bed is level it sticks.

https://mamorubot.onloon.net/detail?itemId=c609aa9ca6fc4e958248e5039e449521
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My Tornado has been a good machine so far. The only issue is the print surface. Everything seems to go to shit and I go back to using blue tape. Thinking of trying Wham Bam next.
it's not cheap but the mamorubot PP print surface is the shit. prints stick like they are welded and fully come loose on cooling. it also helps to fix the bed warping issues from the spring stress on the glass bed. i haven't needed glue or tape since i got it. if the bed is level it sticks.

https://mamorubot.onloon.net/detail?itemId=c609aa9ca6fc4e958248e5039e449521
@The_Beer_Slayer

Question about the mamorubot print surface. Does it replace the glass bed or just sit on top of it?
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 2:23:53 AM EDT
[#22]
My first time hand painting a print.

Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:27:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The least expensive dual extrusion from the factory is the "new" CR-10.  Or you could buy an Ender 3 and upgrade the main board and add a dual extruder.  I'm not certain which would cost less.
If money is no object you could get a Prusa MK3 with an MMU for 5 filament printing.

Get a Raspberry Pi 3 and put the Octoprint image on the SD card.  This assumes that your printer has a USB port and can be driven externally.  If not, both Creality printers and the Prusa can.
Your print of Yoda looks fine to me, but I imagine you've been tweaking hardware and slicer settings for a while.  You'll have to start that process all over again regardless of which printer you get.

Doesn't sound like I am missing out on anything yet, not seeing any quality Delta printers with dual extrusion.
With the Raspberry Pi 3 mod you spoke of. Would this allow me to be sitting in the living room and tell one of my printers to begin printing in the shop, or is this mod simply avoiding having to have another dedicated laptop?
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:48:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:50:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:50:18 AM EDT
[#26]
I finally tried the post-processing gcode modification option in  Cura  (I'm using v. 3.6.0) to set up a PLA temp test tower with automatic extrusion temperature changes.  It works as described.

In Cura, you use the "Extensions" menu pull-down, selecting "post-processing" & "Modify G-code".  That opens a Post Processing Plugin window.  On that window you click on the "Add a script" button & select "ChangeAtZ 5.1.1 (Experimental)". Trigger can be level or height.  Behavior will be "Keep value" so that the change will continue beyond the current layer.  There are a number of areas listed that can be changed, but in this case I just checked "Change Extruder 1 Temp" & then entered the desired temp.  This has to be done for each change point you want.  For this model, the base was 1.6mm so that was my starting point, then an additionial change every 10mm.   With the scripts added, I processed the file again to generate the desired G-code.

This is the G-code file I did for my Ender 3:   ender-3-AutoChangeTemperatureTower_PLA_180-225.gcode   If you are curious about the added changes, open it with a text editor & you can locate the temp change lines by searching for "M104".

The model was found on Thingiverse:

Smart compact temperature calibration tower by gaaZolee
Published on December 25, 2017
www.thingiverse.com/thing:2729076

The G-code I linked was set up for my Ender-3 with a glass bed.  It starts with the extruder at 200° C  and the bed at 65° C and a skirt around the print.  Layers are .2mm with infill set for 15%.  Cura says the model will consume about 5.5 m of filament.  When the model reaches a 1.6mm height, the extruder temperature is bumped up to to 225° C.  It changes by -5° C every 10mm thereafter.  The last layer is printed at 180° C.

Printed with some 3D Solutech silver PLA

Looks like 195 & lower has structure issues & stringing gets progressively more cobwebby above 205
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 3:49:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Doesn't sound like I am missing out on anything yet, not seeing any quality Delta printers with dual extrusion.
With the Raspberry Pi 3 mod you spoke of. Would this allow me to be sitting in the living room and tell one of my printers to begin printing in the shop, or is this mod simply avoiding having to have another dedicated laptop?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Octoprint runs the printer, connects to your network via WiFi, and has a Web page you access from whatever local computer you're sitting in front of.  There are apps for iOS and Android as well.  There are plugins for Telegram and other chat apps that will send you a status report and a pic (assuming a webcam or Pi Cam is attached to the RasPi).  You can also do time lapse images of your print.  I got a bit off track here, to answer what you did ask, yes you can drag and drop files onto the Octoprint page in your browser, tell it to start printing, stop printing, preheat the bed or nozzle, it shows you a graph of recent temps for each...  It does a LOT of really cool stuff.  Absolutely worth the price of the RasPi.  Print a Pi case (of which there are a multitude on Thingiverse) and go to town.  Octoprint is almost certainly the best aftermarket addition I've made to my printer.

ETA

Astroprint is a commercialized version of Octoprint.  If you have more $$$ that tech skills (or time) that's a perfectly good way to go as well.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 4:42:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 6:03:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
astroprint is free except for the hardware.

the free account gives you pretty much everything but print ques.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Octoprint runs the printer, connects to your network via WiFi, and has a Web page you access from whatever local computer you're sitting in front of.  There are apps for iOS and Android as well.  There are plugins for Telegram and other chat apps that will send you a status report and a pic (assuming a webcam or Pi Cam is attached to the RasPi).  You can also do time lapse images of your print.  I got a bit off track here, to answer what you did ask, yes you can drag and drop files onto the Octoprint page in your browser, tell it to start printing, stop printing, preheat the bed or nozzle, it shows you a graph of recent temps for each...  It does a LOT of really cool stuff.  Absolutely worth the price of the RasPi.  Print a Pi case (of which there are a multitude on Thingiverse) and go to town.  Octoprint is almost certainly the best aftermarket addition I've made to my printer.

ETA

Astroprint is a commercialized version of Octoprint.  If you have more $$$ that tech skills (or time) that's a perfectly good way to go as well.
astroprint is free except for the hardware.

the free account gives you pretty much everything but print ques.
Thanks for the correction.  I think I knew that at one point, previously.  Where can I get a replacement for my long term storage?  I think some of the bits aren't holding their 0s and 1s quite so well anymore.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#30]
I bought a pack of 8mm OD  20mm yellow springs to replace the stock Ender 3 bed leveling springs with a stiffer set.  They came 20 to the pack, so I have 16 left over, anyone need/want four for their Ender 3?   They are significantly stiffer than the stock springs.  They were one of the "easy updates" an ALL3DP article listed for the Ender 3.

If you could use a set, message me an address & I'll put 4 in the mail  (I don't check the messenger thing very often - if I don't reply, give me a heads up in this thread ...)
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:40:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
it sits on top of it. you do need to raise the bed temp about 10 degrees when using.
View Quote
Print surface has been ordered.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 9:26:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 9:49:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
it's the best upgrade i made for my tornado. solved the bed level issues and prints stick like crazy then completely release once cool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Print surface has been ordered.
it's the best upgrade i made for my tornado. solved the bed level issues and prints stick like crazy then completely release once cool.
@The_Beer_Slayer @RV8guy

What build surface are you talking about?  The magnetic, glass, or the standard stick-down one?

My glass was awesome "in the raw", then builds started breaking loose halfway through.  So, I scrubbed it with windex and alcohol. No dice.

A spritz of aquanet and it sticks like crazy.  Takes a little pull to get it off once the bed cools to ambient.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:18:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 1:35:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

@The_Beer_Slayer @RV8guy

What build surface are you talking about?  The magnetic, glass, or the standard stick-down one?

My glass was awesome "in the raw", then builds started breaking loose halfway through.  So, I scrubbed it with windex and alcohol. No dice.

A spritz of aquanet and it sticks like crazy.  Takes a little pull to get it off once the bed cools to ambient.
View Quote
I bought the mamorubot build surface because TBS said it was good. We'll see when it gets here. If it turns out to be bunk, I'm driving to his house and drinking all his beer.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 2:09:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 11:13:20 PM EDT
[#37]
I have four extra yellow print bed upgrade springs.  Free to a team member who has an Ender 3.

If I print a temp tower, and enter the "Tweak at Z" settings, do I need to go back in to Cura and delete them before I print something else?  (If I DON'T delete them, do they remain and affect every print after the temp tower at the specified Z heights?)

Is there a checkbox somewhere in Cura that I can disable the "Tweak at Z" effects, but leave the scripts?
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 12:08:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Got the new version of the Tornado. It has a glass bed that seems to work pretty well except for black PLA. Aqua-Net did the trick for that.

Getting to know Solidworks is interesting, but I did manage to draw up and print this miniature speaker. 50% scaled and the parts still fit.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 1:28:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I bought a pack of 8mm OD  20mm yellow springs to replace the stock Ender 3 bed leveling springs with a stiffer set.  They came 20 to the pack, so I have 16 left over, anyone need/want four for their Ender 3?   They are significantly stiffer than the stock springs.  They were one of the "easy updates" an ALL3DP article listed for the Ender 3.

If you could use a set, message me an address & I'll put 4 in the mail  (I don't check the messenger thing very often - if I don't reply, give me a heads up in this thread ...)
View Quote
Cheers! PM sent
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Cheers! PM sent
View Quote
No problem,  should be in the mail this PM
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Been out of the game forever. Is the CR10 still the go to machine for larger print capacity? I see Folgertech has a monster machine now.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:52:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Frickin tornado is about to get the hammer. It has decided now to not turn on about half of the time and only extrude filament about 50% of the time.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:50:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 10:29:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
if you have the original board the gen l is well worth the upgrade. oder direct fromttevo and it will be preflashed with code.

assuming the controller is your issue. that fixed a lot of weird issues on mine
View Quote
How did you order your board? The Tevo web store does not list any Tornado parts.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:19:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:30:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Listed as No longer available.
View All Quotes
Here's the same board from Makerbase (the manufacturer): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/controller-PCB-board-MKS-Gen-L-V1-0-integrated-mainboard-compatible-Ramps1-4-Mega2560-R3-support/32802151924.html?spm=2114.search0604.3.34.44654ac7aGAnhz&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_5_10065_10068_10130_10890_5730315_10547_319_10546_317_10548_10545_10696_453_10084_454_10083_10618_5729215_10307_538_537_536_10059_10884_10887_100031_321_322_10103-5729215,searchweb201603_51,ppcSwitch_0&algo_expid=ecfb2e9b-1870-4e39-8e8e-a7c3248747b9-8&algo_pvid=ecfb2e9b-1870-4e39-8e8e-a7c3248747b9

The A4988 drivers can be purchased here: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/10pcs-3D-Printer-parts-StepStick-Reprap-A4988-Stepper-Motor-Driver-with-heatsink-default-0-5A-MAX/1047297_32888457440.html?spm=a2g1y.12024536.productList_8356959.pic_9

BUT if I were replacing the board (and I did in my Ender 3), I would roll with these TMC2208s for my XYZ axis: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5pcs-3D-printer-parts-StepStick-MKS-TMC2208-stepper-driver-ultra-silent-stepping-controller-tube-built-in/1047297_32888980385.html?spm=a2g1y.12024536.productList_8356959.pic_0

And the LV8729 for the extruder (the TMC's struggle to drive the torque needed for the extruder stepper and I could never get mine working with linear advance): https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/MKS-LV8729-stepper-motor-driver-4-layer-substrate-ultra-quiet-driver-LV8729-driver-support-6V-36V/1047297_32761232041.html?spm=a2g1y.12024536.productList_8356959.pic_1

These drivers will make your printer extremely quiet
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:43:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Been out of the game forever. Is the CR10 still the go to machine for larger print capacity? I see Folgertech has a monster machine now.
View Quote
The CR-10/CR-10S is still a solid printer. That said, I'm kind of tiring of the gantry type design. I print a lot of tall and skinny parts that go inside props like lightsabers. Having a moving build plate causes these parts to wobble slightly. Moreover, the build plate is usually one of the heaviest components of the printer. This limits the speeds at which you can print, but also means that large printers like the CR-10 are less ideal for small, detailed parts. They certainly can produce some really great small prints, but you have to slow things down a bit more.

For that reason, I am seriously considering a hypercube or similar design, like the Folgertech FT-5 R2, where the moving mass for X and Y moves is closer to equal. If that machine had a 400x400 XY build area, I would probably have purchased it already.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:14:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Definite maintenance and upgrade time for the Tornado. After dicking with thing for a good while last night I finally got a print going. Nothing fancy, just a new spool holder design that I thought was kind of interesting. Woke up this morning and the print was finished. When I took it off of the bed it broke in half. A layer in the middle didn't stick. upon closer inspection, another layer about 1mm above the break point didn't stick. Also, about 1cm about the break, the whole thing shifted about 5mm along the longitudinal axis of the part.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 11:20:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 72
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top