BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 86
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 3:54:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By :
OK guys the shit I'm hearing on the radio is getting weirder by the second.
View Quote

Thanks for the details!

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

An office full were discussing the tactics today if a viper was used.

Most wanted a two bag jet to have more fuel for pointing up at it and getting closer.
View Quote

Fuck that. Give me an NF-104 and I'll make a M61 pass at the bag.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 3:55:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thanks for the details!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Originally Posted By :

Thanks for the details!

Come on man, share!!
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 3:55:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Puddinhead still thinks it's his Door Dash Kung Pao Chicken order from Flagrant Wok.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Predators and manned US vehicles fly that high, so shoot the fucker down.

It is a balloon. SLOW, big and big radar signature.
View Quote

??

A balloon, big radar return. Slow speed, notch filtering is a thing for radar to work.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 3:55:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks for the details!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Originally Posted By :

Thanks for the details!

Multiple pilots talking about seeing things on civ air but now on milair there are guys talking about a crossword puzzle and words vertical and horizontal. Not sure if it's legit boredom or some sort of code.

Ok, I guess it's legit boredom. They are actually playing crossword puzzle by radio.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 3:56:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ah the beginning of the shift in paradigms.

Why focus on Russia? China is the real threat. > Where's the proof this is actually an intelligence gathering platform and not a weather balloon?
View Quote

I would think a weather/research balloon would have a transponder.  You see them frequently on ADS-B trackers
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 3:58:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I can’t believe that thing is still a thing and I refuse to believe it can’t be shot down because we somehow lack the ability. Kill it, then find out where it came from and maybe kill that too. Seriously, how fucking hard is this?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 3:58:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Fox News is reporting it is carrying a heavy payload the size of two school buses. How much does a nuke weigh? Could it have 2 on board, one to drop and the other to detonate when it is at 150,000 ft?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 3:59:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I can’t believe that thing is still a thing and I refuse to believe it can’t be shot down because we somehow lack the ability. Kill it, then find out where it came from and maybe kill that too. Seriously, how fucking hard is this?
View Quote

Same reasons China won't be held accountable for their lies, deception about COVID.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks like it's drifting towards the Southeastern Conference.

What would Biden do if a governor scrambled his Air National Guard?

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:00:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I got just the guy to send after it.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:01:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Cat reading newspaper:  "I should buy a Marlin Supergoose."
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:01:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ground based industrial laser. Nothing new about using a repurposed industrial laser.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since we're acknowledging the existence of such a thing isn't confirmed, that is exactly the type of action such a balloon is attempting to stimulate and gather data on.

Ground based industrial laser. Nothing new about using a repurposed industrial laser.

Yup.

There are a BUNCH of industrial lasers with sufficient power/intensity to pop that thing from 20+ miles away (news reports the balloon is ~60,000 feet/11 miles. You're not driving a laser right under the balloon to shoot straight up).

The news has footage of the balloon filmed from the ground. If someone can aim a camera/spotting scope at it from the ground, a group of nerds/engineers can quickly repurpose one of these industrial lasers within hours.

It's even easier to aim.
A) there's no ballistic trajectory to worry about, and no falling bullets/projectiles (aside from the balloon wreckage). If the aiming device/scope is 6" above the emitter axis, just ensure that it's parallel. You're aiming at a target that's ~30+' in diameter. A 6" offset is inconsequential. High intensity visible laser, aligned to the industrial laser. High power spotting scope. "I see the dot on the balloon. Push the button".

B) industrial lasers that can cut metal, can still have enough intensity at 20+ miles (some dissipation in the atmosphere) that the laser doesn't need to be held on one spot to burn through the thin material of a balloon, so even if you're not right on, you can sweep the laser (granted, if you 'cut' the balloon, it won't be descending slowly).
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:04:10 PM EDT
[#15]
125.675 MHz now KC center traffic. Pilots saying it's about 45k altitude heading SE. 2943 UPS reporting.

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=a2be96
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:06:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Over Missouri?

Hundreds of dollars worth, at least.
View Quote

Our hound dogs and old trucks have SENTIMENTAL value, dammit!
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:06:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
125.675 MHz now KC center traffic. Pilots saying it's about 45k altitude heading SE. 2943 UPS reporting.
View Quote

That is an easy gun shot for a fighter. The altitude was a challenge when at FL600+
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:10:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That is an easy gun shot for a fighter. The altitude was a challenge when at FL600+
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a bit West of St. Louis according to the flight tracker of UPS2943.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Looks like it's drifting towards the Southeastern Conference.

What would Biden do if a governor scrambled his Air National Guard?

View Quote

probably have that governor arrested for white supremacy. time to start accepting that this country is officially a joke. maybe if we identify ourselves as ukrainians the fed gov will step in and do something about this balloon.

they didn't respond to chinas bioweapon. they don't respond to the constant theft of military and industrial secrets. they dont put a stop to the spying and infiltration of universities. have yet to even attempt to stop the massive flow of chinese poison coming across the southern border killing our young people. biden and the rest of the dc cucks aren't going to do shit about a balloon. thankfully for them, greater than 50% of this country is so worthless they don't have to.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:10:48 PM EDT
[#20]
It must be deflating or something. Lots of other pilots calling it in now. A Jetblue just now seeing it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:10:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Curtis LeMay is spinning in his grave.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:12:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It will be interesting to see what happens to it once it gets out over the Atlantic...
View Quote

Not really.

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:13:06 PM EDT
[#23]
China is locking this thread
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:14:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol. I just thought the same thing.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:14:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Someone is sneaking around. 242.525 MHz has Vinson secure traffic.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:14:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Extremely.

Also

Little to Doppler going on. Radar will struggle.

(notch is a thing)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
At 60,000+, it is a difficult shootdown.

Extremely.

Also

Little to Doppler going on. Radar will struggle.

(notch is a thing)
So, around the office, who's go the most experience with cannon engagements above 60kft? That guy should go first.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Has anyone heard if ATC is getting any kind of radar return off this thing?  I would think they would.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:15:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’m sure Beijing police are making phone calls as we speak.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Not really.

View Quote

General Woke told us it was too dangerous to down it over inhabited area.

Well, if and when it is airborne over US waters, what excuse will they make up then?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:16:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Could you imagine the shit show if System Message was like, “Thread locked at request of a foreign government”?

That shit would be hilarious.

Let it go for like two hours and change it to “just kidding”.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:17:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Has anyone heard if ATC is getting any kind of radar return off this thing?  I would think they would.
View Quote

I haven't heard ATC giving out any sort of coordinates at all. It has all been pilot reporting.

Is there more than one of these? I get the feeling the one up north hasn't made it this far down yet and another is near St. Louis but maybe it was the same one. It just seems a bit fast.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:18:54 PM EDT
[#33]
keep buying that chinese stuff folks
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:19:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Could you imagine the shit show if System Message was like, “Thread locked at request of a foreign government”?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Considering how triggered people got over the Black OPs gag a few years ago, that kind of joke would lead to several heart attacks.

But it would be funny.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:22:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I haven't heard ATC giving out any sort of coordinates at all. It has all been pilot reporting.

Is there more than one of these? I get the feeling the one up north hasn't made it this far down yet and another is near St. Louis but maybe it was the same one. It just seems a bit fast.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was kind of hoping they were reporting what would turn out to be just standard weather balloons that are squawking but if that thing is the Chicom balloon and it's descending through the flight levels and isn't being picked up on radar, that is going to be a mess I would think.  I've seen a couple of E-3s up an I don't know if they are just training flights out of Tinker or if they are up because they can paint and track this thing.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:22:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Fox News is reporting it is carrying a heavy payload the size of two school buses. How much does a nuke weigh? Could it have 2 on board, one to drop and the other to detonate when it is at 150,000 ft?
View Quote

So, your theory is that China is sending first strike nukes via balloon?

I'm gonna have to see some proof of this...
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:23:06 PM EDT
[#37]
I have an idea....

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:23:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So, around the office, who's go the most experience with cannon engagements above 60kft? That guy should go first.
View Quote

None of course.

The PGU ammo is pretty hot stuff and at that altitude it will have a lot of smash a lot further out.

A Viper can go that high. The problem is, if the motor quits you loose ECS and eventually cabin pressure. Add to that, no pressure suit.

The pilots all said they wouldn’t want to stay that high very long.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:25:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I was kind of hoping they were reporting what would turn out to be just standard weather balloons that are squawking but if that thing is the Chicom balloon and it's descending through the flight levels and isn't being picked up on radar, that is going to be a mess I would think.  I've seen a couple of E-3s up an I don't know if they are just training flights out of Tinker or if they are up because they can paint and track this thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One goes out over Western KS and does racetracks almost daily (Sentry 61) right now, but there is another (Sentry 30) that went right past the baloon area out of St. Louis. I heard a couple of mil jets that are not on ADSB talking about "working together" and there are secure comms going on now too. I think they are surveiling it somewhere.

I keep getting the audio mixed up between the civilian SDR and the military SDR here but the mil side has been strangely quiet. Maybe they are running Havequick.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:27:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

One goes out over Western KS and does racetracks almost daily but there is another that went right past the baloon area out of St. Louis. I heard a couple of mil jets that are not on ADSB talking about "working together" and there are secure comms going on now too. I think they are surveiling it somewhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One goes out over Western KS and does racetracks almost daily but there is another that went right past the baloon area out of St. Louis. I heard a couple of mil jets that are not on ADSB talking about "working together" and there are secure comms going on now too. I think they are surveiling it somewhere.
Not sure if related but a COMBAT SENT RC-135 just went up from Offutt.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:28:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

COBRA47
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#42]
132.650 pilot saying it's reflective and EXTREMELY high altitude.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:30:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

COBRA47
View Quote
Yep.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:30:11 PM EDT
[#44]
@whollyshite

No one knows what it is carrying. It has crossed half the US and our Gov has done nothing to stop it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:30:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Yep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

COBRA47
Yep.

He's hauling ass right toward it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:30:57 PM EDT
[#46]
It's over my brother right now in east central Missouri. He said it's heading straight east. Can see it pretty decent on cell phone camera zoom.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:31:20 PM EDT
[#47]
The KC CENTER sector HI freqs are where all the action is right now.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:32:11 PM EDT
[#48]
What if this thing is dropping fkn fentynal or some shit I mean.. Im not saying it is.. But all we are doing is fucking looking at it... How have we became such pussies?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:32:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

You mean like when they did?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:33:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
@whollyshite

No one knows what it is carrying. It has crossed half the US and our Gov has done nothing to stop it.
View Quote

Are you talking about illegal immigration across our border or airspace? Because I doubt the gov see's much difference.
Page / 86
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top