User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Running miles of triple strand is so much fun
View Quote
Not nearly as much fun as packing miles back up so you can clear the box...
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 2:53:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw it rip the axial off an f250
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 3:24:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This machine takes all the fun out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nmQmVeUF_o
View Quote
Without pickets I can just mash that flat and walk right over it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 3:25:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Maybe he wanted them to go that way .
View Quote
That's exactly what tactical wire is for, channeling traffic into your guns.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 3:32:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I used to install quite a bit of both at the fence company..the normal wire is childs play, the razor wire is a bitch. Don't care what you wear, by the time you are done, you are going to have at least 2 cuts from it. Easiest way to handle it is with the proper gloves and a good set of fence pliers.
View Quote
I definitely want the razor wire version.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 3:32:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This machine takes all the fun out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nmQmVeUF_o
View Quote
WANT
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 3:34:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd love to have some c wire, but I don't drink any more so my tangle foot is going to look really stupid with soda cans as noise makers.

And I'm going to be disappointed because I want fougasse too and claymores...

Punji pits it is
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 3:40:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They have specific gloves for handling it.  They are very thick leather with big metal staples all over them to prevent cuts.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought a bunch off the EE many years ago. My advice, get the best gloves you can find to handle it
They have specific gloves for handling it.  They are very thick leather with big metal staples all over them to prevent cuts.
you probably want to be wearing some sort of goggles too
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 3:42:43 PM EDT
[#9]
... my HOA forced me to remove mine
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 3:43:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'd love to have some c wire, but I don't drink any more so my tangle foot is going to look really stupid with soda cans as noise makers.

And I'm going to be disappointed because I want fougasse too and claymores...

Punji pits it is
View Quote
Abatis or cheval de frise could be economical options..
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 3:52:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's exactly what tactical wire is for, channeling traffic into your guns.
View Quote
That was the idea. The problem was we didn't have enough. A couple strands per stryker isn't enough in an open desert. Opfor does what they want.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 3:55:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Those staple gloves suck unless they are brand new.  I'd rather have light gloves and a multitool.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:03:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Those staple gloves suck unless they are brand new.  I'd rather have light gloves and a multitool.
View Quote
You know a lot about concertina wire.

Can you combine it with claymores? I'd think the claymores would damage the wire.

But those are my two favorites
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#14]
a nice stash of Bangalore torpedoes would compliment your wire kit nicely.

i have set of these in my toolbox too.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I was also wondering the legality of using it in a domestic setting...??  It dont discriminate...it cuts good guys and bad guys both. I have scars to prove it. I've just always worn a set of used welding gloves to work with it....
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:10:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It seems the nomenclature is pretty muddy. What we knew as C-wire had pointed barbs that you would get caught on. With razor wire the entire barb was sharp; literally a wire lined with razor blades that will slice into you.

One pokes, the other slices. Either should work for area denial, but you can make it through C-wire eventually.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought razor wire was just a different name for concertina wire
It seems the nomenclature is pretty muddy. What we knew as C-wire had pointed barbs that you would get caught on. With razor wire the entire barb was sharp; literally a wire lined with razor blades that will slice into you.

One pokes, the other slices. Either should work for area denial, but you can make it through C-wire eventually.
This is "C-wire." Not too dangerous to install unless it catches your carotid artery, just wear the special c-wire gloves with the staples in the palms and take your time, if you get caught in it during installation stop moving and call for help, you will not be laughed at, everyone gets stuck while installing it.  This stuff mostly catches and holds.

This is razor wire, it will ruin your day, think of it as a "Death Slinky."

C-wire installation gloves, ugly as sin, not comfortable to wear, but very effective for installing C-wire.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:15:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
a nice stash of Bangalore torpedoes would compliment your wire kit nicely.

i have set of these in my toolbox too.
https://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/1FAH6_AS01?$mdmain$
View Quote
Would be cool if you could rotate the razor wire like a wound coil spring in a watch/clock.

As soon as it is cut the thing would unfurl and cause a code brown for anybody that doesnt get snared to shit by it before it snags the other near by roll to get tangled.

If that stuff isnt properly staked to the ground, or to other rolls, it seems like something akin to a fork lift would be the easiest way to deal with getting through it.   Lift it up and go under.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:23:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Hate it. Bring up the Bangalore’s.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:24:15 PM EDT
[#19]
A couple puss pad size rolls of discarded commercial carpeting make breaching simple for single or triple strand.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:25:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Berlin Brigade wrote the book on MOUT, we had the largest MOUT Site in Europe, maybe even largest in Western Europe/USA.  3 Infantry Battalions used to train to defend the city from the Russian hordes as well as conduct counter-attacks.   An Infantry Company or Bn would occupy the combat city and surrounding areas while one of the other Battalions conducted a Deliberate Attack, on a rotating basis.

Now I was an Indirect Fire Infantryman, a Mortar Maggot, 11C, we still had 81mm M29 Mortars in M125A2 13ton tracked M113 mortar carrier variants in the Rifle Companies my first tour there.   We had pre-designated Mortar Firing Points we would occupy to the rear (relatively speaking in a city totally surrounded by ComBloc) and off to the flank.   For the preparing the defense phase of these defense/attacks, our task was to set the external perimeter wire then fall back to our Firing Point to provide Fire Support, Smoke Screening and Battlefield Illumination.

The last Defense during my first tour, we used the M125A2 Mortar Carriers to drive all over the hundreds of acres of MOUT Site to pick up every single roll of concertina wire we could find, rolls of tanglefoot, 8ft steel pickets, and for 3 days with little sleep, we pounded hundreds of pickets into the ground, set quadruple rolls of concertina wire, two on the bottom then two to three rows of the 2ft diameter concertina above that, around the perimeter.
Attachment Attached File

Then outside the Triple Strand, we stretched single layer concertina about 50yds deep facing the axis of attack, strung barbed wire tanglefoot through it all so the enemy couldn't just lay smoke (to defeat the laser MILES system) and just pull it all away with a grapnel hook.

Dawn comes, we hear the sounds of APCs (Each Rifle Company had 1 platoon of M113A2s the other 2 platoons were dismounts), smoke generators start cranking out billowing smoke.   We hear diesel engines racing, tracks clanging against concrete, the ground shaking, then a loud mechanical screeching noise, engines throttling up and down, up and down, then finally quit.

We hear over the Observer-Controller radio net "MY GOD! ITS A SEA OF WIRE!"  That had to be the funniest thing I ever heard transmitted over military radio net.

3 $750,000 13 ton M113A2s sprockets tangled in concertina and barbed wire, totally out of the fight and down for maintenace for 3 days, it was so bad, the Observer-Controllers had to actually cut a breach through the wire for the attacking dismounts to get through just to let the attack happen.

Granted the attackers would have tried to prep the breach with 81mm and 107mm mortar HE, 155mm if tasked, and engineers with pole charges and the Bangalore Torpedoes in real life, all done will being engaged with crew served weapons 90mm HE and Flechette rounds, and mortar fire
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you get some, you need a set of fence pliers(channel locks are the best, need a bit of grinding), a set of hog ring pliers and a small set of bolt cutters...
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This is "C-wire." Not too dangerous to install unless it catches your carotid artery, just wear the special c-wire gloves with the staples in the palms and take your time, if you get caught in it during installation stop moving and call for help, you will not be laughed at, everyone gets stuck while installing it.  This stuff mostly catches and holds.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://arc-anglerfish-washpost-prod-washpost.s3.amazonaws.com/public/PFS3GZHGCUI6RBCJD7ZGGYE2GE.jpg&w=767

This is razor wire, it will ruin your day, think of it as a "Death Slinky."
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/Jv3_Ql2fFUjd380l_ebpgFsAgGctjNe9lFvHw_pYM4p9en5Y1nwdCiZoYxKEkV5dUX1dIZ0-0_C7YGoKUDWW1KykSa4A9esWOmMaCtNd2T8tXi591ya4JTfH5tChM0NS

C-wire installation gloves, ugly as sin, not comfortable to wear, but very effective for installing C-wire.  
https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images1/1/0316/21/hawkeye-bwh-gloves-barbed-wire_1_ed91c998a3b0b0776c838c3feca43e94.jpg
View Quote
That's how I understood it. Then I googled it in order to explain it better and some sources were calling it all C-wire, with razor being a variation. Ya know razor wire when ya see it haha
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:31:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Berlin Brigade wrote the book on MOUT, we had the largest MOUT Site in Europe, maybe even largest in Western Europe/USA.  3 Infantry Battalions used to train to defend the city from the Russian hordes as well as conduct counter-attacks.   An Infantry Company or Bn would occupy the combat city and surrounding areas while one of the other Battalions conducted a Deliberate Attack, on a rotating basis.

Now I was an Indirect Fire Infantryman, a Mortar Maggot, 11C, we still had 81mm M29 Mortars in M125A2 13ton tracked M113 mortar carrier variants in the Rifle Companies my first tour there.   We had pre-designated Mortar Firing Points we would occupy to the rear (relatively speaking in a city totally surrounded by ComBloc) and off to the flank.   For the preparing the defense phase of these defense/attacks, our task was to set the external perimeter wire then fall back to our Firing Point to provide Fire Support, Smoke Screening and Battlefield Illumination.

The last Defense during my first tour, we used the M125A2 Mortar Carriers to drive all over the hundreds of acres of MOUT Site to pick up every single roll of concertina wire we could find, rolls of tanglefoot, 8ft steel pickets, and for 3 days with little sleep, we pounded hundreds of pickets into the ground, set quadruple rolls of concertina wire, two on the bottom then two to three rows of the 2ft diameter concertina above that, around the perimeter.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43902/Triple_Strand_Concertina_jpg-1292264.JPG

Then outside the Triple Strand, we stretched single layer concertina about 50yds deep facing the axis of attack, strung barbed wire tanglefoot through it all so the enemy couldn't just lay smoke (to defeat the laser MILES system) and just pull it all away with a grapnel hook.

Dawn comes, we hear the sounds of APCs (Each Rifle Company had 1 platoon of M113A2s the other 2 platoons were dismounts), smoke generators start cranking out billowing smoke.   We hear diesel engines racing, tracks clanging against concrete, the ground shaking, then a loud mechanical screeching noise, engines throttling up and down, up and down, then finally quit.

We hear over the Observer-Controller radio net "MY GOD! ITS A SEA OF WIRE!"  That had to be the funniest thing I ever heard transmitted over military radio net.

3 $750,000 13 ton M113A2s sprockets tangled in concertina and barbed wire, totally out of the fight and down for maintenace for 3 days, it was so bad, the Observer-Controllers had to actually cut a breach through the wire for the attacking dismounts to get through just to let the attack happen.

Granted the attackers would have tried to prep the breach with 81mm and 107mm mortar HE, 155mm if tasked, and engineers with pole charges and the Bangalore Torpedoes in real life, all done will being engaged with crew served weapons 90mm HE and Flechette rounds, and mortar fire
View Quote
I love this post so much
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:33:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If you get some, you need a set of fence pliers(channel locks are the best, need a bit of grinding), a set of hog ring pliers and a small set of bolt cutters...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:34:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Can you combine it with claymores? I'd think the claymores would damage the wire.

View Quote
why not?! You could set up claymores behind triple strand razor wire. It will mess up the wire, but it will have served its purpose. And only part of the wire will be blown. You'll have it sectioned off with pikes/T-posts and could just replace a section.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#26]
The old spikey type mounted on a fence isnt worth a damn. If you're halfway agile and have time you can climb over without getting cut. I wouldn't try this trick with razor wire.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:53:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Without pickets I can just mash that flat and walk right over it.
View Quote
For basic crowd services I think it would work well. For other jobs no so much.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:18:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The problem here is dumb dumbs who think they can throw up wire and count on that as an effective barrier without covering it with fires.

Concertina/Razor wire is a force multiplier that is incredibly effective given its simplicity- provided you have it covered with direct fire weapon systems.  The benefit is allowing a much, much smaller unit the ability to effectively cover a much larger front while funneling the enemy towards your desired engagement areas.

Simply throwing up wire is never enough.
View Quote
Mind fields or concertina, if you are not covering it with fire (direct or indirect), it is a speed bump, not an obstacle.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:19:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you need to detonate a claymore then your wire is toast anyway.

C-wire and claymores go together like peas and carrots.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:23:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HOORAY
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:32:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
why not?! You could set up claymores behind triple strand razor wire. It will mess up the wire, but it will have served its purpose. And only part of the wire will be blown. You'll have it sectioned off with pikes/T-posts and could just replace a section.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And if you do it right, that part of the wire will be replaced by the bodies of your enemies, which can be nearly as good of a deterrent
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:52:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:59:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Ugh.  I have bad memories of that stuff.

12 guys putting it up while sharing 3/4 gloves, not pairs.

Overlapping is best, don't end strands at the same place.

Use pickets/wire/stakes to stop people from pulling it apart or picking it up.

Don't overstretch it, makes it easier to get through.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 6:21:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Is there a recommendation for where to buy some razor wire?
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 6:22:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Are there any legal issues with deploying this on private property?
View Quote
Liability.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 6:24:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Is there a recommendation for where to buy some razor wire?
View Quote
There was a link on the first page.  40 rolls for $800. Free shipping.

Anyone in MI want a group buy?
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 6:25:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

There was a link on the first page.  40 rolls for $800. Free shipping.

Anyone in MI want a group buy?
View Quote
MICHIGAN CONCERTINA WIRE BUDDIES
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 7:19:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Concertina wire is cheap, easy to transport, easy to employ, and if used correctly it is very effective.

Concertina wire, like any tactical obstacle, is not very effective as a standalone measure.  It must be integrated into your broader (active) defensive plan.  Obstacles are simply part of your fires plan.  See FM 90-7 (or even 7-8 for the basics).

Obstacles should compliment the terrain around your fixed defensive position and the defensive position itself such that they enable you to engage the enemy on your terms.

Use the obstacle to:
Disrupt
Fix
Turn
Block

That basically boils down to making the enemy's path of least resistance go right through your optimal kill zone, and then hold him there while you engage.

To properly deploy concertina, it  should be immobilized:  staked to the ground, propped up with pickets and barbed wire.  3 strands (wired together in a pyramid) is the minimum recommended for an effective obstacle.

ETA: FM 7-8  See page 8-7
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 7:28:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Seen HMMWVs buried in roll after roll of that shit at JRTC. OPFOR will string it right across the roads, 7+ strand deep to jack up vehicles driving under NVGs at night.
View Quote
That was me. Two hours in a swampy are laying I'm muddy trying to cut it from the CV joint.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 7:50:31 PM EDT
[#42]
I strung a bunch across a road in Hohenfels to keep opfor armor from hitting our flank overnight. I had it marked with chemlights and gave my PL the grid of the obstacles we had placed. He failed to relay this to the CO. His Stryker plowed right through the triple strand and they didn't realize it for awhile. His driver and vehicle commander spent a long time in the dark and snow cutting cwire off of all four axles.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I was escorting an MTVR full of troops off of route Mobile into Ramadi, and we had to drive through a blacked out ECP.

He was right behind me, but somehow ended up in the ditch and wound a huge strand of wire around his tire and axle. There were several pickets in the engine compartment.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86695/P5140083_JPG-1290761.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86695/P5140092_JPG-1290762.jpg
View Quote
That's razor wire, sure you didn't drive through a jail?
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 8:26:00 PM EDT
[#44]
NATO concertina is a double helix design.  This is a simple slinky.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 8:30:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Gauntlet Gloves Needed.

That shit will slice and dice you in ways you didn't think possible.

Once your stuck in it... your fucked.

It's effective for its intended purpose deployed correctly.

Engineers 12B's,  we perfected the triple standard method.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 8:39:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

People can't go over it
Vehicles can't go over it
Tanks can't go over it.
It's pretty cheap
It's legal

What's not to love?
View Quote
Sounds more like Kim K's butt than concertina wire.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 8:41:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
And yet...
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#49]
I wouldn't get concertina wire..get razor wire..far more effective...Any fence company should sell it...both kinds...they will also sell hog rings..get the HD ones...A roll of 9 gauge wire also, unless you are going to tie the razor wire to concertina/barb wire....(9 guage is way stronger then either....)...

Somewhere around here I also have a few pair of short bolt cutters as well...the longer pliers are better, the short ones will test your strength on 9 guage wire..

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 8:51:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Attachment Attached File

I remember the walmart razor wire thread, this one is so much more informative.

It seems like it is only a speedbump for well trained military, but if one needed to barricade a street or fortify a neighborhood against intruders in a TEOTWAWKI or Katrina style scenario it might be effective if deployed well
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top