Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 3:38:59 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're runnung around in the dark with suppressed guns FA would make it easier for baddies to locate you.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hurt someone’s feelings once
View Quote
Monster
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 3:41:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I remember reading about one of the African conflicts, where one side did not have great resupply, so they modified their troopsFAL's to semi only, and their combat effectiveness went up.

Not sure where I read that, though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#4]
You hear that they don't use it, but then why would they want the SOCOM profile barrel and a switch from 3 round to full?
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 3:41:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I feel like I would only fire a MP5 on auto given the choice
View Quote
My gun dealer buddy has an MP5 and MP5SD full auto and I've emptied a few mags out of those...

I timed one of them, it was like 4.2 seconds to dump a 32 round mag...  As fast as it was actually pretty controllable.. Only the 1st 2-3 rounds had any kind of muzzle climb...  We put a 2x2x2 card board box out with targets on it at about 7 or so yards and at 15 yards and were able to keep the majority of rounds on target...

Too rich for my blood, but Fun AF....
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 3:44:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The Marines found it useful for engaging bad guys running, they hit the bad guy more often.

But, they had issues manipulating the selector 180 degrees quickly.

They came to Bill Geissele and his solution was a spring loaded selector with a short throw.

Link
View Quote
yeah, seems us old timers were better at hitting moving targets with semi-auto fire than today's youngsters.  Prolly cuz more of us were duck/goose hunters and trap/skeet shooters as kids.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#7]
My avatar is commando as fuck
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 3:47:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I am not a Commando lol but have been to the Belgian ParaCommando school. We shot the FNC prone on semi but the FAL standing for a bit then got to do a 6 round (I think) auto, standing lol. Twas fun, got a sweet balloon jump while there
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 3:47:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Full auto is pretty much limited to suppressive fire applications.
View Quote
At short distances usually less than 50 yards.   No real controllable past that for accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 3:49:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is a correct statement.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 3:53:02 PM EDT
[#11]
In Secret Commandos (great book, BTW) Plaster describes training to shoot five rounds bursts from a CAR-15.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 3:53:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The Marines found it useful for engaging bad guys running, they hit the bad guy more often.

But, they had issues manipulating the selector 180 degrees quickly.

They came to Bill Geissele and his solution was a spring loaded selector with a short throw.

http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/img_1680.jpg

Link
View Quote
I kinda want one of those for my M16
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 3:55:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Never used one in combat, but on Farcry 5, full auto with the AR's is shitty.

I use SA most of the time.

Although burst fire with a suppressed M60 is the best.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 3:56:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My gun dealer buddy has an MP5 and MP5SD full auto and I've emptied a few mags out of those...

I timed one of them, it was like 4.2 seconds to dump a 32 round mag...  As fast as it was actually pretty controllable.. Only the 1st 2-3 rounds had any kind of muzzle climb...  We put a 2x2x2 card board box out with targets on it at about 7 or so yards and at 15 yards and were able to keep the majority of rounds on target...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could literally write your name with the SD, assuming you had a large enough mag.  I burned through thousands upon thousands of rounds on my dad's when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Never use full auto, unless you are deliberately trying to get rid of ammo.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 3:57:26 PM EDT
[#16]
This lack of full auto caught my attention in the "Lone Survivor" movie.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 3:58:12 PM EDT
[#17]
They dont use their bayonets either.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 3:59:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This would be a logical argument against always full auto -- you'd spend more time changing mags that actually shooting.  Except in movies, of course,  where the mags are endless.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 4:00:44 PM EDT
[#19]
If you expend all your ammo, the person next to you will give you some of theirs.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 4:02:57 PM EDT
[#20]
You’re hundreds of miles from reinforcements and resupply - would you rock full auto or save it until you REALLY needed to put a lot of lead out?
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 4:05:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You hear that they don't use it, but then why would they want the SOCOM profile barrel and a switch from 3 round to full?
View Quote
I think if I have any full auto switch I want full, not just 3, even if I normally don't use it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 4:07:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think if I have any full auto switch I want full, not just 3, even if I normally don't use it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But wasn't the purpose of the SOCOM heavier profile because they were using full and needed the carbines to last longer.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 4:08:33 PM EDT
[#23]
I follow him on Twitter and he said the same there about full auto then something like "aim and hit what you aim at".
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This lack of full auto caught my attention in the "Lone Survivor" movie.

A.W.D.
View Quote
Nah NM
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 4:10:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

But wasn't the purpose of the SOCOM heavier profile because they were using full and needed the carbines to last longer.
View Quote
And the M416 adoption.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 4:14:05 PM EDT
[#26]
My beer drinking neighbor who was a 1SGT 11B in the army with 5 tours said no one carrying an m4 was allowed to fire their weapon on burst at any time, as it was a waste of ammo.  Full auto fire was reserved for their gunners only.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 4:14:58 PM EDT
[#27]
In the old days we were taught to have one guy per fire team go "Rock and Roll" when initiating an ambush.  Also to use situationally IF ambushed to help break contact/suppress...
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 4:18:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Why would Rob O'Neil aka guy claims to have shot UBL lie?

Look at the Delta Training vid, it is all semi
Look at the SEAL training vid for BUDS, all semi on the MP5
Look at the recent helmet cam footage of SF guys fighting for their lives in Africa, all semi.

While it is a movie look at Zero Dark Thirty, all semi.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 4:18:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

At short distances usually less than 50 yards.   No real controllable past that for accuracy.
View Quote
Suppression fire isn't about accuracy...it's about throwing a lot of rounds downrange in a hurry in an attempt to keep some dipshit heads down while your buds move their asses.   It's what machine guns were meant for...you really gotta be in a world of hurt if you need to be suppressing with your M16 or M4.   Personally, if lacking an M60 or SAW, I'd prefer a couple of guys firing semi-auto than full...it makes that mag last a little bit longer.  Last thing you want is to run dry when asses are still hanging out there.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 4:19:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I heard some SEAL who I guess shot Bin Laden claim on Adam Carrolla he never fired his carbine on auto in a fight. He also was for banning bump stocks but kind of defended AR15s saying they aren't military weapons
View Quote
Paul Howe and Larry Vickers, who are well known former Assaulters in Delta Force. Both of them say Full auto is dumb. lol

Having personally worked closely with Special Forces in the past, they also said they could only remember firing their M4 in Full Auto ONCE, when it was during familiarization or whatever it was.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 4:26:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Larry Vickers says, in the 25 years he was with Delta - they only used FA (on their Carbines) to establish a proper firing position/grip.
Rob O’neill has said essentially the same, on multiple podcast.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 4:41:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Only for hedge trimming.

View Quote
I would like a full auto hedge trimmer.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 4:42:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I never used 3 round burst in Iraq.
View Quote
Ditto. Other guys did let M2s, M240, and M249 loose, though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 4:42:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I heard some SEAL who I guess shot Bin Laden claim on Adam Carrolla he never fired his carbine on auto in a fight. He also was for banning bump stocks but kind of defended AR15s saying they aren't military weapons
View Quote
I think I used full auto once in training once during a scripted, break-contact drill.  Never in a real fight.
Bump stocks are gay, but banning them is gayer.  
Most AR-15s would work just fine in the military.  My personally-owned ARs are superior to any M-4 I ever used in the military.

But I didn't shoot Bin Laden, so what do I know.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 4:45:06 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm a big proponent of aimed fire.
FA is supressive fire
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't believe SOCOM ever had the burst trigger.

Also from what I've heard and read, the main issue was during break contact drills the barrels where getting so hot that the next day during training barrels we're blowing because of metal fatigue.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 4:48:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Suppression fire isn't about accuracy...it's about throwing a lot of rounds downrange in a hurry in an attempt to keep some dipshit heads down while your buds move their asses.   It's what machine guns were meant for...you really gotta be in a world of hurt if you need to be suppressing with your M16 or M4.   Personally, if lacking an M60 or SAW, I'd prefer a couple of guys firing semi-auto than full...it makes that mag last a little bit longer.  Last thing you want is to run dry when asses are still hanging out there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not 100% true. You want your suppressive fire to be accurate enough to keep someone’s head down. Not take your time point accurate but accurate enough to be effective.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 4:53:28 PM EDT
[#38]
But they use full auto all the time in movies like Heat & on TV like The Walking Dead & make Head shots from 75 yards, but when they’re 20 feet from each other, they miss & miss.

And the rifle action never moves on full auto....I think Hollywood discovered caseless ammo.

A friend of mine who knows a guy who works at Home Depot who was a Stealth Forced Recondo Delta SEAL and they only used full auto—but that Hollywood uses CGI to cover up what the Stealth Forced Recondo Delta SEALs trained the Walking Dead cast to do—seriously.

And they have standard 30 round magazines that have twice as much compressed space to hold double the ammo.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Only when laundry is backed up and ammo is under .28 per round.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 4:58:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The three round burst trigger is a piece of shit.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
But they use full auto all the time in movies like Heat & on TV like The Walking Dead & make Head shots from 75 yards, but when they’re 20 feet from each other, they miss & miss.

And the rifle action never moves on full auto....I think Hollywood discovered caseless ammo.

A friend of mine who knows a guy who works at Home Depot who was a Stealth Forced Recondo Delta SEAL and they only used full auto—but that Hollywood uses CGI to cover up what the Stealth Forced Recondo Delta SEALs trained the Walking Dead cast to do—seriously.

And they have standard 30 round magazines that have twice as much compressed space to hold double the ammo.
View Quote
The good guys used semi
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 5:00:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Going "Commando" sounds better than going "Operator". So there's that. And regarding talcum powder in the jeans, didn't California decide that stuff gives you ass cancer?
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 5:01:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Also exposed how most gunshops have the secret room full of LAW’s, grenades, and other Awesome shit.
View Quote
Not gunshops, too obvious.  Army/Navy Surplus stores.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 5:01:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

http://78.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9ormrAeqW1qdezf9o1_500.gif

Must have only been Tier 1 one or 2, clearly not an ultra-elite-Commando
View Quote
Yeah, I'm going with "it's mostly a Hollywood behavior".
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I never used 3 round burst in Iraq.
View Quote
I would 3 round burst all the things
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Why would Rob O'Neil aka guy claims to have shot UBL lie?

Look at the Delta Training vid, it is all semi
Look at the SEAL training vid for BUDS, all semi on the MP5
Look at the recent helmet cam footage of SF guys fighting for their lives in Africa, all semi.

While it is a movie look at Zero Dark Thirty, all semi.
View Quote
Seen lots of Vids of Iraq and Afghanistan and Ukraine. While some is semi. There is a ton of full auto Vids to. But no idea what units for most of them. Not all of it was beltfeds doing it.

My cousin was a green beret with a tour or two in Afghanistan I'll ask him what they doing.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Seen lots of Vids of Iraq and Afghanistan and Ukraine. While some is semi. There is a ton of full auto Vids to. But no idea what units for most of them. Not all of it was beltfeds doing it.

My cousin was a green beret with a tour or two in Afghanistan I'll ask him what they doing.
View Quote
My favorite is this one! Skip to 5:50

FIREFIGHT ON HELMET CAM IN AFGHANISTAN - PART 1 | FUNKER530
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#48]
I feel like a binary trigger would actually be more useful than burst and auto on a non-MG. You can fire faster if need be, but still retain direct control over each shot versus holding the trigger down and letting the weapon run itself while you try to hold it on target.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The documentary 'Commando' (1985) proves they do
View Quote
And the gun stores with the secret button have the best shit.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 5:32:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I think OP is trying to bring back the word "Commandos" to describe special ops type people.

So then people can say "Commando as fuck"
View Quote
So "going commando" is going to mean something other than free-balling now?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top