Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 12:53:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Unless it is someone I hold in high regard, I don’t generally care what people say.

Link Posted: 12/19/2022 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 2:10:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I either get along with someone really well or they hate my guts. There has been no inbetween my whole life. But, I'll never hesitate to tell you to your face I'm an asshole. I try to get along with everyone but my tolerance for stupid shit is pretty low.

So, substitute jerk for asshhole and I've been called that plenty and admit I am one. Only to those I think deserve it....yes I'm aware and don't care, never have.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 2:12:54 PM EDT
[#4]
People with personality disorders can act like that and convince themselves it's everybody else's fault.

I have a family member that's a hateful bitch. Anytime she's called out on it she turns it around and tells the other person it's their fault for making her act like that. It's kind of sad to watch.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Most of the narcissistic jerks I've encountered use basic liberal rules:
Make sure you are the only one talking.
Accuse others of the things you yourself do.
Never let an opposing opinion be voiced.
Never, ever admit fault.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 2:39:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a date call me an asshole because I was tight.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#7]
A business owner is different than a school union.
Does she really need his business?
Would she gain business by banning him?

Link Posted: 12/19/2022 2:47:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I either get along with someone really well or they hate my guts. There has been no inbetween my whole life. But, I'll never hesitate to tell you to your face I'm an asshole. I try to get along with everyone but my tolerance for stupid shit is pretty low.

So, substitute jerk for asshhole and I've been called that plenty and admit I am one. Only to those I think deserve it....yes I'm aware and don't care, never have.
View Quote
Here's another one.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 3:00:08 PM EDT
[#9]
People either love me or they hate me.

Or they think I’m OK.

Link Posted: 12/19/2022 3:01:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've never understood these people.

I've been in the retail and restaurant industry for most of my life. You deal with some people that just live to give you a hard time and fuck with you.

Now that I'm a bit older and own my own business it's funny I seemingly never run into these types anymore.

When I was in my twenties and working for someone else, I encountered them pretty frequently. My staff members who are in their late teens and early twenties still encounter them.
View Quote

I'm developing a theory that the ego-driven people with true talent go into the arts and are relatively hidden, since they're eccentric artists and that's just kind of expected.  The jerks without artistic talent aren't hidden and therefore are more noticeable when they hold jobs like lower-level management.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 3:05:02 PM EDT
[#11]
There's a lot of flavors of "jerk".

Mostly I've found they really don't care what other people's
opinions of them are no matter what the behavior.

Link Posted: 12/19/2022 3:06:03 PM EDT
[#12]
“Jerk” is a cheaper somewhat less sophisticated way of saying narcissist or someone with many narcissistic traits.

The OP sounds like a classic narcissist.

So the answer to the question is since they are superior to you they don’t care what you think. You’re wrong.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 10:31:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A business owner is different than a school union.
Does she really need his business?
Would she gain business by banning him?

View Quote
I dont think hes coming back.

He wanted a discount cause hes special and got pissed off when she said no.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 11:10:19 PM EDT
[#14]
You picked the right place to ask about people being jerks, now they’ll line up to tell you how “they don’t care” etc.
Being a dick isn’t a flex, you think you’re being edgy and cool and that everyone is impressed or perhaps intimidated but, they’re just laughing at you.(not directed at OP or anyone else in particular)
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 11:27:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I have told some. I don't know what they do afterwards but they always shut up and go away.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 11:28:46 PM EDT
[#16]
There are a couple of real jerks on here, but that is far outweighed by the genuinely good folks on here.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 7:25:52 AM EDT
[#17]
My brother is one, I call him an insufferable asshole. Example: My son and I flew 1,500 miles to pick up a motorhome in his area and stayed w/ him for the weekend. On Saturday at lunch time I saw ONE hamburger patty laid out to cook. I asked him where mine was, he grumpily stated 'You had breakfast', and I said I'll be having lunch too so get me a burger please, and do something for your nephew (6 years old).  Mind you, we see him about 2x per year and haven't been in his area for 20 years, there's a lot more but you get the idea.

Also, he took some of my son's quarters that grandpa gave him and put them in a bank for a car when he turns 16,  I let it go as I don't want to see the disappointment in my son's eyes regarding Uncle "Bob".

Apparently we interrupted his weekend of 'ReaLitY SHow Tv' (he's retired)
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 7:27:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The jerk store called
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/20/2022 7:32:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
IRL I make it a point to call out and ostracize douche bags. I do it with intellect and class, it's a great time.

View Quote

Have you ever said to anyone “The Jerk Store called, and they’re running out of you”?
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 7:34:33 AM EDT
[#20]
I've recently started treating everyone like a small child or a good dog.  People love that shit.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 7:50:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Depends on the situation and what’s going on.

Outside of work I’m a nice guy.

At work , I’m portrayed as an asshole by people who are either a moron , or do stupid shit and get called out on it by me

Guys I work with think I’m a jerk because I expect them to ......actually work . They’ve told my boss I’m an asshole cause I won’t let them decide how to do things . I told the boss, if they have a plan that makes ME do more work and they get to do less work, fuck that , I’m not doing it .

Latest one is the bigwigs at work totally changed our vacation system , and really fucked over a bunch of people . Me included . I had questions about the new system and asked them .  Yep I was the asshole for questioning my betters . Where in reality , she was just oissed that I had good questions she didn’t have answers to and was pissed that that made her look kinda dumb .

Fuck em
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 8:48:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You picked the right place to ask about people being jerks, now they'll line up to tell you how "they don't care" etc.
Being a dick isn't a flex, you think you're being edgy and cool and that everyone is impressed or perhaps intimidated but, they're just laughing at you.(not directed at OP or anyone else in particular)
View Quote
The guy I'm talking about in the OP seemed to go around looking for circumstances where he could be shitty to people and easily get away with it. He seemed to enjoy it.

Say you're dealing with an obviously timid, scared, weak, or insecure person. You could probably be an asshole or take advantage of them and easily get away with it but because you're not a piece of shit you're nice to them. He would see it as an opportunity.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 8:50:16 PM EDT
[#23]
In my experience there is no need to tell a jerk they are a jerk. The already know they are jerks.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Wouldn't you want to be told you're a jerk?

Being a jerk seems cool till you get older have no friends, burn bridges, and die alone.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 12:37:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
@JerkStore
View Quote

Now what?
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 3:43:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Do jerks think they are the only person that is allowed to be a jerk? Everyone else has to accept it and smile.

You ever been put into a situation where there seems to be this hierarchy and the dude at the top is a dick to everyone but nobody can reciprocate?
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 3:49:59 PM EDT
[#27]
My friend and his wife both said the same thing about one guy they knew, "There is a reason his name is Dick."
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 3:51:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

He or she?
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 4:17:20 PM EDT
[#29]
People who are complete jerks and a-holes that think of it as a badge of honor need to take a long look in the mirror.  Seriously.   Think of all the people you hurt.  It WILL come back to bite you when you least suspect it and it won't end well for you.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 4:24:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This is inspired by a woman, who manages a sporting goods business in my hometown, complaining to me about a guy who, I swear, hasn't had a good thing said about him. She was describing him to me (she isn't from the area) and then when I figured out who he was I was laughing when she started complaining about him as a repeat customer.

I had him as a high school teacher. Students hated him. Parents hated him. After I graduated, I found out many teachers hated him. I have a few family friends who were administrators, school board members etc. and they hated him too.

I grew up in a smaller town. Since I graduated, I've been hearing stories about him and his shenanigans. He pretty much rubs everyone he comes into contact with the wrong way. Apparently, he's retired so now he's no longer just pissing off people associated with the local high school.

The guy has a huge ego, a super high opinion of himself (I don't know why) and a bad temper (he's not violent). I'm honestly surprised he wasn't fired and made it to retirement. I guess if you have tenure, you can't get fired. He seems oblivious to the hate. I don't think I've heard of a single story of someone telling him to his face what a fuck he is.
View Quote

Telling him won't do a thing.

He has never had an awakening that would result in a behavioral change.  A thorough ass beating is usually needed; one that he will never forget.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 4:24:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 4:29:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 4:34:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

He has never had an awakening that would result in a behavioral change.  A thorough ass beating is usually needed; one that he will never forget.
View Quote

I cannot believe he hasn't. The shit he has done is insane.

He seems to have a knack for tiptoeing around people that can hurt him. But then full on asshole to those that can't.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 4:35:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 4:38:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

He seems to have a knack for tiptoeing around people that can hurt him. But then full on asshole to those that can't.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He sounds like my father.  All badass to store clerks and restaurant wait staff, but doesn't say a damned thing around someone who might kick his ass.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 4:52:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I noted that. Seemed like this thread has been a honeypot for NPD types already.

The handful of times I’ve had a really poor interaction with a fellow employee over the past 12 years on the fire department, and we’re talking like 3 people out of 1500, I’ve always done a lot of self reflection and worried that I was the asshole. A few times I’ve even apologized with full self awareness I really didn’t do anything wrong, hoping to smooth things over, and had my interactions with these folks and the relationship got even more contentious.

Watching these folks move on in their career they have without exception left a long trail of drama, investigations, and exceedingly poor reputations. One has even managed to still get promoted twice (and hated by his subordinates.) One of the others got arrested in a prostitution sting and still somehow has a job. He gets ran out of every firehouse he bids into in about six months.

I later realized I was likely dealing with NPD or BPD folks.
View Quote

I think the "worried that I was the asshole" part is a key difference. I recently had a falling out with some family members and even though I was confident that I was "right," I had a nagging doubt that maybe I was being a jerk or unreasonable. After some time passed I reached out in an attempt to make amends, offer an apology on my part, etc. They seized that opportunity to double down on everything, hurled insults at me, no apology, no remorse, etc. While I was trying to reconcile, they were smelling blood in the water and trying to "win." I let them go for a lot longer than I should have because I was quietly enjoying the confirmation that I absolutely wasn't the asshole.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 4:57:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I've been called an asshole more than once. I just smile and agree.

What people think is being an asshole is just me not putting up with fools and idiots.

Life is better when you truly don't give a damn what people think.
View Quote

FPNI

coming from the military truly makes me hate dealing with most people. Completely fucking retarded and pathetic
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 4:59:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
He sounds like my father.  All badass to store clerks and restaurant wait staff, but doesn't say a damned thing around someone who might kick his ass.
View Quote
Idk how being shittty to someone who can't fight back is an accomplishment.

I've been in the retail and restaurant industry my whole life. Without fail they always turn into the biggest worms when confronted by someone who can fight back.

I look young. I often get mistaken for an employee (99.99 percent of the time it doesn't matter who cares).

Then you get this fuck who sees it as an opportunity. I've never had to say anything beyond "you realize I own the business?"

I love my dad but he had a habit of doing this too.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 5:03:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Better question is how did we get so pussified that they don't get a regular ass beating.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 5:09:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
IMHO, sounds like deep down he probably hates himself. We got one shot here, and it sounds like he didn't get the "grow and evolve" gene.
View Quote
I'm probably horrible at this stuff but even in high school I got this feeling he was a scared boy trapped in a man's body. I saw it in his eyes a few times.

His asshole behavior didn't seem real or genuine. It seemed like he felt he was compelled to do it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

If I was an asshole I would've made a rude, but funny comment. I refrained.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 7:41:49 PM EDT
[#42]
This thread reminds me of a particular show scene... hmm...

The World Is Full Of Assholes
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 7:51:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
He's not oblivious he feeds off it, he lives for it. I know folks just like you described.  Un-happy MF'ers
View Quote

This.  Had the displeasure of knowing a couple of men that were eternal contrarians, simply for the purpose of being contrary.  Being called out on it was the wind beneath their wings.

Link Posted: 1/2/2023 7:52:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This thread reminds me of a particular show scene... hmm...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRcfqpyuk9k
View Quote
I came here for this exact video. Ray speaks solid truth here. His whole dialog about violence with the therapist is spot on accurate.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 8:13:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I've been called an asshole more than once. I just smile and agree.

What people think is being an asshole is just me not putting up with fools and idiots.

Life is better when you truly don't give a damn what people think.
View Quote

It's not "better" , it's absolute bliss.  And not putting up with other people's dumb shit does not make you an asshole.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 8:35:50 PM EDT
[#46]
People used to get smacked a lot more for true asshole behavior. It's easy to spot the type that the OP describes.  Look at how some treat servers, retail clerks, etc. They purposely choose those who rarely can/will fight back. They're probably left lane campers too..

Link Posted: 1/2/2023 8:41:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This.  Had the displeasure of knowing a couple of men that were eternal contrarians, simply for the purpose of being contrary.  Being called out on it was the wind beneath their wings.

View Quote

Did they just enjoy conflict?
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 8:41:20 PM EDT
[#48]
The Jerk Store Called | The Comeback | Seinfeld
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 8:57:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I recall a conversation I had with one guy who liked to think of himself as a philosopher. "So, rocks aren't alive?" he asked.  They think they won if they have done something that is too stupid to answer.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 9:06:35 PM EDT
[#50]
FEAR -I Don't care about you
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top