BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 5:34:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Your point was that it's impossible. It clearly is possible with current technology, just not widely adopted (yet). Tesla is already working on semi trucks that are electrified. Your own tastes and preferences don't matter, the efficient market will dictate the direction this goes. And my guess is the market will decide ICE are ancient technology. Of course you will still be able to drive whatever the heck you want, but as the alternatives become more advanced, cheaper, and capable as the technology matures my bet is even the naysayers will get on board. If you could drive the same vehicle you drive right now, or one that looks exactly the same but cost the same or less and gets 55mpg +, has more power and reliability, would you still choose the ICE? I bet most would switch.
View Quote
Ok fine but let the market decide, not the enviro nazis in the EPA.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 5:37:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Does this mean we can have the Ford Excursion back now?
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 5:42:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Curious.. what are the negatives for consumers for higher gas milage standards?  How is this a win for us?
View Quote
Because it is an imossible standard to meet. Not because the technology doesnt exsists, because Catalytic converter technology will not work with engines running super lean ratios.

They melt down quick. Manufactures have been looking at a Catalyst injection system like DEF but it is my understanding that the EPA said hell no, Cat Converters stay.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 6:41:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Curious.. what are the negatives for consumers for higher gas milage standards?  How is this a win for us?
View Quote
It also tends to suppress imports of many items running combustion engines.   Tractors, outboards etc.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 6:44:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They were extremely unrealistic from a technological and economical point of view.  IIRC, it was done by "fleet", meaning you'd have xyz manufacturer making xxx econoboxes just to get the fleet number down.  Yet, you'd be driving the cost of desirable vehicles up, since said econoboxes won't sell in many markets.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They were extremely unrealistic from a technological and economical point of view.  IIRC, it was done by "fleet", meaning you'd have xyz manufacturer making xxx econoboxes just to get the fleet number down.  Yet, you'd be driving the cost of desirable vehicles up, since said econoboxes won't sell in many markets.
Yep based on feels not feasibility.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 6:52:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have always wondered how in the hell the government has the power to mandate fuel efficiency standards.
View Quote
They steal the power via abuse of the ‘commerce clause’. The same way they have power to regulate/ban drugs; yet needed a constitutional amendment to regulate/ban alcohol.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 6:54:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Awesome,  I want an all steel truck.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 6:56:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd love to run a diesel again if they'd ditch the cow piss and exhaust filter
View Quote
Oh you can run a new diesel, its just going to cost you 2200 bucks to get rid of all that mandated BULLSHIT that's on them now. Provided you don't have emissions testing where you live that is. The diesel engines being built today are far superior to the ones of 20 years ago, they are just choked to death with all the crap that's on them. We have a 2000 Camaro SS, a 2014 Camaro SS, and a 13 Duramax. After deleting the truck, my mechanic swears it is faster than either one of the cars and I kinda believe him! 600 hp and 1000 pdft of torque is something not to be taken lightly! In addition to the increase in performance, my truck doesn't "roll coal", doesn't sound like a handful of bolts in a metal can, AND I can still carry on a conversation in the cab while driving.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 6:56:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not a fan of this.

I would rather my vehicle get 50mpg than 15mpg...but this isn't gonna ruin my life.

Prius aren't going to be banned. You know that, right?
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 6:57:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The standards are arbitrarily set by people who have no technical background.

They mandate fuel economy and safety equipment without ever considering the trade offs in cost vs actual improvements.
View Quote
Nah, they knew exactly what they were doing. This was effectively a regulatory ban under the disguise of saving “Gaia”. The goal was supposed to be unreachable to drive us into tiny cars (party approved, comrade) and to public transit.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 7:14:49 AM EDT
[#11]
These EPA fuel standards are why truck prices have gone so crazy in the past few years.

If you in the market for a truck this would be good news.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 7:17:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-mileage-epa-rule-20180329-story.html

The Trump administration is poised to abandon America's pioneering fuel economy targets for cars and SUVs, a move that would undermine one of the world's most aggressive programs to confront climate change and invite another major confrontation with California.

The Environmental Protection Agency is expected to announce in the coming days that it will scrap mileage targets the Obama administration drafted in tandem with California that aim to boost average fuel economy for passenger cars and SUVs to 55 miles per gallon by 2025, according to people familiar with the plans.

The agency plans to replace those targets with a weaker standard that will be unveiled soon, according to the people, who did not want to be identified discussing the plan before it was announced.
View Quote
View Quote
Unpossible. We'd have to be meeting 45mpg NOW to even approach it.

It was a political ploy from the minute it got typed up.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 7:19:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
The standards were raised drastically. That kind of drastic increase in efficiency is infeasible without producing a shit ton of tiny economy cars that no one wants to offset the larger vehicles many do want. The R&D going into fuel economy research likely drives the costs of cars up.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 7:22:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I wish the EPA would get the hell out of the light duty diesel truck market.  Just bought a new truck wanted and could easily afford the diesel. My 16 year old diesel ridding on 35's has as much power as a brand new diesel and gets better mileage. Pretty sad when 16 years of tech lowers reliability standards , increases the cost significantly and at the same time greatly increases the odds of a catastrophic engine or emission related failure all while getting less actual mileage.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 7:37:28 AM EDT
[#15]
My concern is it sounds like they aren't "doing away with" as much "doing away with the other guy's and we'll come back with some new ones". They may lower it from 55 to 50. BFD.

But yeah, emissions are why my next truck will likely be a 1 ton gasser rather than diesel. I'd prefer a diesel for the torque, but they longevity argument is gone now with all the emissions crap. The "motor" may last, but that stuff won't.

I just hope we aren't in the modern day version of 1968-72 when cars were built to consume massive amounts of dead dinosaurs and atmosphere followed by the Carter years where a small block Chevy was neutered to 160hp due to emissions. Bring on the pavement rippers and for those that want to drive golf carts on the highway.....let them. Just don't make me fork over a $5,000 "subsidy" for every nut job that wants a Prius.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 7:42:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
how is this going to mend fences? last I checked consumers liked more fuel efficient cars so they don't have to spend as much on gas. and not for nothing you honestly think rolling back efficiency rules is going to mend fences for all the broken promises? dream the fuck on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
More MAGA.

I'm now more sure than ever that Trump is trying to mend fences with his base after the Bump Stock and Omnibus debacles.
how is this going to mend fences? last I checked consumers liked more fuel efficient cars so they don't have to spend as much on gas. and not for nothing you honestly think rolling back efficiency rules is going to mend fences for all the broken promises? dream the fuck on.
The number one selling vehicle in America is the F150.  Consumers give no shites about MPG.  The good news is, the few that are will still have options as the companies will still serve them or lost money.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 7:43:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
From your lips to Trump's ears!
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 7:49:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
More expensive cars, heavier safer cars

A prius does not even get 55 mpg

Making a sedan do that is either impossible or extremely expensive

Obama hated poor people
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 7:55:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Most people have no idea how such things destroy personal freedom and free markets.

EPA is the most destructive agency in our government.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 7:57:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. The fuckery done to diesels to meat these standards takes away most of the advantages of a diesel. I want a diesel truck that is like my old diesel tractors. Fuel efficient and nuke proof.
Can’t get that running 16.5:1 compression I want 20:1
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 7:58:00 AM EDT
[#21]
My hope is that there will be no cars available for purchase in CA

Fuck their fuckery
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 7:59:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Please, for the love of God, I hope this brings back V8 engines and retards the trend for small turbo engines.
View Quote
Get both, that is what this will do.
For people who tow a lot, you need a V8.
If you need a truck for the bed, get a small engine with a turbo.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:02:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I agree -- Let the market decide BUT LET'S BE HONEST ABOUT IT -- take away the Govt tax credits and price subsidies on hybrids & plug-ins, and see what happens to that "huge selling point" when the TRUE additional cost of hybrids and plug-in cars must be paid out of the consumer's pocket.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
High efficiency vehicles aren't going anywhere if they do this.  It's a huge selling point for a massive number of consumers.

Let the market decide.
I agree -- Let the market decide BUT LET'S BE HONEST ABOUT IT -- take away the Govt tax credits and price subsidies on hybrids & plug-ins, and see what happens to that "huge selling point" when the TRUE additional cost of hybrids and plug-in cars must be paid out of the consumer's pocket.
I fucking love this post.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:03:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Because the added cost of on the equipment side and reduced dependability and longevity is costing the consumer billions.

Fuck cafe standards and FBHO/GWB.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:04:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Does this mean we can have the Ford Excursion back now?
View Quote
V8, V10 or diesel.  

I wish that were the case.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:05:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
No fucking shit!  This ventless bullshit is just that, bullshit!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I can buy a 3 gallon flush toilets at Lowe's I'll be happy again.
Bring back real gas cans
No fucking shit!  This ventless bullshit is just that, bullshit!
Real steel gerry cans are available if you look. I have 10. I dont give a fuck if it is illegal to put gas in them
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:06:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That actually describes our belief differences.  I believe there is a balance between regulation and the market.  Where that balance lies is the true question.  In this case, where the regulations end up going will determine the balance.  Absence of regulation, and to an extent the law, is anarchy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're assuming that the companies would still be investing the same amount towards fuel efficiency even if there were no CAFE standards.

I don't believe that would happen.  They'd invest some money, of course; there are people who want to buy such cars.

But if they were doing it the way the government thought they should, then there wouldn't be a CAFE standard in the first place.
That actually describes our belief differences.  I believe there is a balance between regulation and the market.  Where that balance lies is the true question.  In this case, where the regulations end up going will determine the balance.  Absence of regulation, and to an extent the law, is anarchy.
The fed govt has no constitutional authority to dictate efficiency standards to business
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:07:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I don't think people see the big picture with fuel economy.  Higher requirements force innovation to focus on compliance, which with these regs ends up being a reduction on reliance of oil.  Even with US oil production increasing, moving towards a sustainable energy source (hydro is huge in the NW) insulates us from a global commodity.
View Quote
A few years back my wife’s 3 week old Hyundai got a flat tire. I drove across town to put her spare on.

There was no spare tire in the trunk. Do you know why? Because they needed to shave as much weight as possible to achieve their advertised mpg rating. So, they ditched the spare tire.

Such innovation, much wow.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:08:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I want an all mechanical diesel.
View Quote
Why?

I have owned all three...mechanical, common rail, and a hybrid (VW Bosch) and the common rail is my favorite.    Much simpler design and runs cleaner.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:08:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Now if they could scrap tier 4 diesel reg's.  Hate buying DEF and paying for the fucking system that uses it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:10:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
 Because freedom. Let the market sort it out instead of imposing arbitrary limits. If there is insufficient market for gas guzzlers they will die off.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:12:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Please, for the love of God, I hope this brings back V8 engines and retards the trend for small turbo engines.
View Quote
From your lips to Gods ears.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:13:36 AM EDT
[#33]
A rare example of MAGA.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:15:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
You get stupid shit like stop-start 1L 3 cylinder quad turbo engines in a Ford F-450 truck with auxiliary pedal power that's made entirely of styrofoam and soybean plastic that has a base price of $155,000 While India, China, South America, Cuba & Mexico all continue to use $500 steam powered vehicles fueled with shredded tires, old motor oil & plastic soda bottles and fuel their electric generation plants with the same.

Physics is physics and His Most Holy and Worshipful Obama can't decree physics defy itself and take it upon himself to re-write the laws of thermodynamics. But he tried.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:19:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:22:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Those standards were never going to be met, they were pushing for electric cars Now get rid of ethanol!
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:23:22 AM EDT
[#37]
The elephant in corner on "climate change" is China's and India's poor.

Something like 3 billion poor cook and make light with coal or wood.

If every personal vehicle in America got 100 mpg it still wouldn't make a dent.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:24:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Complexity, which means more development costs, more manufacturing costs, and more repair costs.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:26:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Not a fan of this.

I would rather my vehicle get 50mpg than 15mpg...but this isn't gonna ruin my life.
View Quote
The market is pretty much demanding 35-40 right now. And that's fairly easy to achieve. Market forces would probably give us 45-50 by 2025, anyway.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:29:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Complexity, which means more development costs, more manufacturing costs, and more repair costs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Exactly, open the hood on my 2003 5.9 diesel and you can see where everything is and you can actually work on it and fit your hand in places to do the work without pulling the cab or front clip.  Try that on a new diesel truck and get back to me.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:35:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Thank God.  CAFE standards are death.
View Quote
CAFE standards are a JOKE.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:36:26 AM EDT
[#42]
I dunno how true it is, but I saw a video about the new 2018 jeeps that stated Fiat/Chrysler had paid somewhere around $500 million to the government to produce the new jeeps because of their mileage.

How much does that translate into a hidden tax on a car?

How much shitier do they build new cars every year because of this?

You can now total out a car on a relatively minor accident. Now if a car is $20k, no big deal. If a car is $40k -$60k, now you’re talking a chunk of change.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:36:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

There are so many facets with this type of situation, its almost difficult to decide which direction to go.  I almost boil it down to a proactive versus reactive strategy.  Auto companies in general are focusing on fuel efficiency, since at the end of the day, being able to operate a vehicle at a lower cost makes them more competitive.
View Quote
In two pages I didn't see safety mentioned.

Smaller, lighter cars are less safe than heavier, bigger cars (and trucks.) CAFE standards kill people, the thruth the leftists don't want you to know.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:37:18 AM EDT
[#44]
That's fine, but I somehow don't believe the cost of cars is going to drop 20%.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:41:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

In two pages I didn't see safety mentioned.

Smaller, lighter cars are less safe than heavier, bigger cars (and trucks.) CAFE standards kill people, the thruth the leftists don't want you to know.
View Quote
HItting a deer becomes a potential death, not just a new grill guard.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:43:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'll have to disagree.  I think we need to keep pushing manufacturers to develop more and more fuel efficient cars.  Gas prices will just keep going up, and it will affect economic growth in the future.  It will also affect national security as the world oil supply diminishes and we need fuel for military use.
View Quote
And when those gas prices start going up, the demand for more fuel efficient cars will increase, leading manufacturers to make more fuel efficient cars with new tech. When gas prices were stupid high years ago, dealers could not move large SUVs, trucks, etc off of lots, so dealers stocked more gas sippers. That is also when many of the newer MPG increasing tech started to show up.

GM, Ford, Honda and all the other auto companies know that gas will be very expensive again, sooner than they would hope, might I add. So, they are already getting hybrid/plug in models ready knowing that is what is going to drive the market.

If the battery storage breakthrough occurs, then all bets are off. In the future, most likely in the back half of this century, IC engines might be only driven by the wealthy....who knows?
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:45:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Should have been on day one of Pruitt's term in office.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:46:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
A rare example of MAGA.
View Quote
We are observing the rare MAGA in his natural habitat.

We must be careful not to scare the MAGA, or he will frighten, and feed on our freedoms.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:48:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
A 4-banger in a super duty truck, yeah.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:50:38 AM EDT
[#50]
If Bruce Jenner is considered a woman, why can't you consider that gas guzzler makes 50mpg?
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top