Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:14:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Lol.  Farmers will eventually start killing people.  Don't fuck with us.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:15:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I know guys who have 20 fields spread over half a county. How are they going to afford all those charging stations?
View Quote

Dont you know anything?  Simply take a crane to the field and swap out that 10,000lb battery pack it would take to run your combine!  No big deal!  (Sarcasm)
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Good thing technology never advances!
View Quote

BURN THE WITCH!!  
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:17:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:19:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

If the technology was advancing, the government wouldn’t need to be pushing this shit.  Farmers would be lining up to make the switch.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#6]
That is going to be one mutherfucker of a charger plugged into one motherfucker of a battery.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

BURN THE WITCH!!  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BURN THE WITCH!!  

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:20:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If the technology was advancing, the government wouldn’t need to be pushing this shit.  Farmers would be lining up to make the switch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank God the government doesn't subsidize anything related to farming!
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:21:42 PM EDT
[#9]
EV push for farters.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:22:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Did a little digging. With current battery tech it would take over 6000 lbs of conventional batteries to run a combine for a day. Thats a conservative estimate. Over 2500 lbs if they were lithium.  Little more complex than throwing a fresh group 24 in a forklift.  I love when people who don't know jack shit about farming tell those of us who do it for a living how it works.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#11]
My daughter works on one of the bigger farms near us. For about 3 weeks, they were working 16 to 20 hours a day. I don't understand what problem would be solved by making a tractor all electric. They seem to get things done very efficiently the way they are.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maximum oof
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:24:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

We need less Marx, not more.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I absolutely agree.

Government "help" is slowing EV development and adoption.

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:31:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

A modern combine can burn 200 plus gallons of diesel in a 16 hour period.  Thats almost 28 million BTU.  Ill let someone smarter than me take it from there.
View Quote

Add in the support

Grain cart tractor burning 150 gallons.

3 semis to keep it all moving

Tractors following for tillage and spreading fertilizer

These guys run two combines and are racing the bad weather.   Easily a 1000 gallons of diesel a day.

Size Matters!! Corn Harvest At Its Best!! #9

Look at all the equipment
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:33:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My daughter works on one of the bigger farms near us. For about 3 weeks, they were working 16 to 20 hours a day. I don't understand what problem would be solved by making a tractor all electric. They seem to get things done very efficiently the way they are.
View Quote

ICE powered vehicles of all stripes are at the point where they are very efficient, very powerful, and fairly reliable (except for diesels with DPFs and DEF). It will take A LOT of advancement before battery tech can approach what ICE can do right now.

I absolutely love what the industry has done and is doing with battery powered tools, and welcome more of it. Vehicles, especially heavy duty cycle machines, are a completely different ballgame, but it wouldn't surprise me if battery tech got there eventually for those, too.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:33:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not a fucking chance in hell. Farm equipment doesn't usually come home to a charger every night, and dumb fucking batteries will never be able to operate a high energy machine like a combine or large heavily loaded tractor for 16 plus hours a day.  It would work fine for hobby farmers.
View Quote

Maybe for some.  I'm a hobby farmer by any definition, but no way in hell an electric would work to cut, rake, bale and transport my hay in any sort of an efficient time frame.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:35:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This dude (the author) doesn't know when but it's coming.  Eventually.  Someday.  And it is going to be bad.  My speculation is that it'll also trigger the "big one" earthquake.  The dams will break.  Sharknados.  Tsunamis.  Vitamin D deficiencies due to the lack of sunshine.  George Hamilton will lose his tan.  Avocados will vanish from the store shelves.  Snail Darters will drown.

"Drenching rain will pummel cities and towns. At times, the hills around Los Angeles could get nearly 2 inches of rain an hour. Heavy rain and snow in the Sierra Nevada will test dams in the Central Valley, one of the world's most productive farm belts.
While all this has been happening, another filament of moisture-laden air will have formed over the Pacific and hurtled toward California. Then another. And another.
After a month, nearly 16 inches of precipitation, on average, will have fallen across the state. Large swaths of mountainous areas will have gotten much more. Communities might be ravaged beyond resettling. None of the state's major industries, from tech and Hollywood to farming and oil, will be untouched."

View Quote

Pineapple Express. IIRC the last one was in 1867 and it flooded the entire Sacramento valley 15' deep and turned Death Valley into a lake.

If you look at old CA maps there were huge inland lakes all over central CA, that was it's natural state before development (and beaver trapping) dried much of it out.

It's always been a matter of time before it happens again, the costs would be astronomical.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:37:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Maybe for some.  I'm a hobby farmer by any definition, but no way in hell an electric would work to cut, rake, bale and transport my hay in any sort of an efficient time frame.
View Quote

The handwriting is on the wall for hobby farmers... they'll be extinct in the next 20 years or so.  This push for mega farms has been going on since the late 80's to push out all the Mom and Pop family operations.  Until it happens though, I'll continue to belch diesel smoke from my early 60's Farmall Diesel.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:38:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sir this is a John Deere thread, they can barely figure out how to get a light to work between a dozen engineers
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:39:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

lol no.  You're little pissant forklift doesn't require 20 to 30 million BTU per day.   Id love to see the size of the battery pack that requires, and watch you simply swap one out.
View Quote

Good thing we've got a tractor then...

OP said it was some sort of JD experimental farm, right? Makes sense they're starting to work on the tech, doubt it will be competitive anytime soon though.

Lots of reasons stuff like forestry and Ag will run on diesel for some time yet.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:54:14 PM EDT
[#22]
They could be referring to a diesel-electric test mule. There is an electric variable transmission commercially available in the 8410R; essentially a hybrid as electric motors take the place of hydraulic motors found in the IVT. Some Euro models can be optioned with a generator to power implements.

I'm voting troll thread. If OP's "friend" works at Deere's test farm, they aren't a farmer, they are a Deere employee. If "friend" is a farmer that beta tests, they have their own equipment to use in addition to the test mule and aren't being forced to do anything.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#23]
About that battery...

John Deere electric cable-powered tractor | TractorLab
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:59:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Unaffordable and a massive liability.  I also have bad news for you. In regards to a harvester, people have to be there to take the product away. It has to work on our schedule, not its autonomous one.
View Quote
Autonomous equipment will supplement human labor in the short to near term. Eventually, it will be all autonomous.

Farm sizes are only going to increase while labor availability decreases.

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

lol no.  You're little pissant forklift doesn't require 20 to 30 million BTU per day.   Id love to see the size of the battery pack that requires, and watch you simply swap one out.
View Quote
deere has a prototype.  I think it ran heavy tillage for less than an hour before it was either out of juice or the pixies overheated.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:11:33 PM EDT
[#26]
This madness has to stop.  

A mid sized electric dragline uses 6mw of power during regular options.  

6 megawatts.  

Okay. A Tesla uses 34 KW at peak according to google.

1 hour of a draglines electrical consumption could power your Tesla for about 176 hours.

People don’t understand the scale of what is trying to happen here.  “Technology changes!!!’bbnbbwhehye”

Yeah. It does.

But it’s easier to scale down historically than it is to scale up.

Making large equipment to run off a battery with a decent charge rate is a fools game.  It wont be cost effective without .gov stepping in. It won’t be efficient.  It will be wasteful and expensive.

Like most .gov projects.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:12:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Did a little digging. With current battery tech it would take over 6000 lbs of conventional batteries to run a combine for a day. Thats a conservative estimate. Over 2500 lbs if they were lithium.  Little more complex than throwing a fresh group 24 in a forklift.  I love when people who don't know jack shit about farming tell those of us who do it for a living how it works.
View Quote
there's almost 1300 lbs of battery in a typical high performance electric car.   Unlike a car, a tractor/harvester uses pretty much all it's rated power constantly when working and they work for 12 hours straight when the weather is right.

The requirements are more like a boat or airplane than a car where the loads are typically light and variable.   A tractor hooked to a drill or cultivator is basically a dyno.   It's got to need more than 2500 lbs of battery. A steiger quad trac carries 3200 lbs of diesel to work for a day.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:24:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
About that battery...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMOkFqN1tC8
View Quote

:45

"Locally reduced CO2 emissions"

And there it is, folks. "Locally reduced." LMAO. CO2 emissions aren't reduced, just moved around to somewhere else.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Pressured by whom how?

Sir if you don't buy an electric tractor you'll never see your daughter again!

My tractor is 45 years old and nobody is pressuring me to take it.

The guy at Ace got a new electric zero turn and was pushing it but I didn't make the leap to the Biden administration banning ICE zero turns.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:27:24 PM EDT
[#30]
lol

The cheapest non-shit ev car is now $50k+ and rising. Should be fun to see how much a serious electric piece of farm machinery will cost.

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:30:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
They could be referring to a diesel-electric test mule. There is an electric variable transmission commercially available in the 8410R; essentially a hybrid as electric motors take the place of hydraulic motors found in the IVT. Some Euro models can be optioned with a generator to power implements.

I'm voting troll thread. If OP's "friend" works at Deere's test farm, they aren't a farmer, they are a Deere employee. If "friend" is a farmer that beta tests, they have their own equipment to use in addition to the test mule and aren't being forced to do anything.
View Quote

So I don't have to pop p-mags?
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:34:06 PM EDT
[#32]
You know it's really strange that the only place salesmen lie is at the gun counter and car lot.

The ones everywhere else are a pure as the driven snow, so totally locked in with both production and maintenance they work weekends in the shops, and follow every heartbeat of politics.

How would the US government mandate that farmers use EVs in the next few months, before next year?

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:39:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

What good does that do for 12-16 hours a day when it's dark out?

And I see plenty of equipment that sits at the edge of the field that it finished today so it's ready for the next field over in the morning. Or whenever the field dry out enough. Lots of wasted time/effort if you can't just leave it sit in place for days.
View Quote

Try some lunar panels?
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:42:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
About that battery...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMOkFqN1tC8
View Quote

Corded is the only way I could see it being remotely feasible in the near future.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:44:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Add in the support

Grain cart tractor burning 150 gallons.

3 semis to keep it all moving

Tractors following for tillage and spreading fertilizer

These guys run two combines and are racing the bad weather.   Easily a 1000 gallons of diesel a day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAuLlWNLkLw

Look at all the equipment
View Quote

Plus the 5000 gallon of LP at home to dry the corn. That’s gonna be a big ol hairdryer to dry that much corn. ??
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You know it's really strange that the only place salesmen lie is at the gun counter and car lot.

The ones everywhere else are a pure as the driven snow, so totally locked in with both production and maintenance they work weekends in the shops, and follow every heartbeat of politics.

How would the US government mandate that farmers use EVs in the next few months, before next year?

View Quote

Tier 5 and the eventuality of tier 6 emissions standards.

Tier 5 will be something around 75-90% stricter than tier 4 final.

There’s a bunch of other ESG stuff coming with tier 5. Essentially “zero” emissions is the only way to get around the ESG stuff. Super extended warranties, testing programs, etc.

So it’s already mandated. It’s coming. It’s just how and when.

Hydrogen is the only real hope we have. As battery just won’t cut it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 8:27:43 PM EDT
[#37]
That is an old Facebook post.  It's been making its rounds the last few years.
battery tech is not there for large construction and farm equipment yet. 500HP all day long takes a pretty big battery.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 8:30:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:In another discussion forum I frequent, A friend of mine posted that a farmer she knows that does work on a test form for John Deere is being pressured to switch to electric tractors. They want to do this within a year.
View Quote
Fw: fw: fw: fw: fw: fw: fw: fw: fw: fw: fw:

Fake news.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 8:36:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Bullshit.  My battery powered travel electric toothbrush runs for months on two AA batteries.  A combine should run for weeks on three AAs.  Easily.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 8:50:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Batteries shouldn’t be a problem, just have an overhead power tether managed by a chain of quadcopter drones from the power source to the field. Bonus is the quadcopter can be powered off the tether they carry too.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:08:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Never gonna happen with the EV tech we have currently. The amount of power required, the long duty cycles, limited time windows, the remoteness of where they operate, the size and weight of a battery pack even if they were made to interchange....it's not gonna happen.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:11:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Gonna be funny to watch them try to implement this
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:13:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
In another discussion forum I frequent, A friend of mine posted that a farmer she knows that does work on a test form for John Deere is being pressured to switch to electric tractors. They want to do this within a year.

Anybody on here heard of this being implemented within such a ridiculous deadline? She said her friend stated that the growth and harvest cycle requires tractors to be running nonstop for a week or more. How can they possibly create a tractor capable of running on battery power for 24 hours, little alone in under a year?

If what the John Deere rep reportedly said to the farmer is true, it sounds like Biden's administration is smoking some good stuff. This is reminiscient of the Soviet Union's central planning fiasco under Stalin, with impossible goals and resultant failures. Of course, starvation was the plan then... is it the plan now?
View Quote

It’s not supposed to “work”.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:13:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Lol.  Farmers will eventually start killing people.  Don't fuck with us.
View Quote

They don’t even have to do anything.

They can just grow the food needed for themselves. Everyone else can starve.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:28:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
That’s where every industry is trying to go as fast as possible.  Autonomy is huge in the equipment world as well.  

The push for EV is not stopping at cars.  

There is no way that EV is there for heavy machinery when not tethered.  Also, the cost to replace these units is simply unattainable for the majority of farms.
View Quote

Ever get the feeling "they" don't mind if a sizable part of the population starves to death?  That's what will happen here if productive time in the fields gets reduced if you have to charge the only one tractor you can afford.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:37:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I’m positive it wouldn’t be…it was a joke

Even if it was…. It would be so covered in dust within 15 minutes it wouldn’t matter.
View Quote

I know, but I think most people assume you just need a couple of panels and you can charge a car. Or you can plug into a 20 amp wall socket and you'll be good in a couple of hours. It takes a TON of juice to run mechanical equipment. It's not a wrist watch or a pocket calculator. I think that fact gets ignored and lost in all the hype. We have to start showing how much electricity these things really need.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:38:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

A modern combine can burn 200 plus gallons of diesel in a 16 hour period.  Thats almost 28 million BTU.  Ill let someone smarter than me take it from there.
View Quote

Hey man your a damn luddite!  We got this solved.  We'll just roll out a 100KW diesel genset to charge all those tractors, combines and trucks hauling everything.

Geeezz dude!

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:39:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
A regular diesel powered school bus cost around $115,000.  And EV school bus cost between $350,000 to $400,000.  

Same increase for a JD tractor.  

EV is not sustainable
View Quote

It's more sustainable than fossil fuels. It's just not nearly convenient or cheap enough yet to really compete.

But yea let's buy more oil from the people who brought us 9/11...
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:41:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It's more sustainable than fossil fuels. It's just not nearly convenient or cheap enough yet to really compete.

But yea let's buy more oil from the people who brought us 9/11...
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:44:26 PM EDT
[#50]
They want an American Holodomor.

This is how you get an American Holodomor.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top