Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:47:05 PM EDT
[#1]
"Something something the distastrous possible happened instead..."
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:01:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just slap a solar array on the roof, how hard can this be?
View Quote

Solar array on roof of a little golf cart carrying two 100 # people cannot keep up to power the cart, to just drive down the fairway.  

Plz someone tell us how a tractor will do even modest work.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:08:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks great in animation.   I am sure that Disney can make it work on their screen as well.  

Not happening anytime soon except in pipe dreams.  Even if prototype built, logistics are a  long ways off.  Liberals.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:11:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not a fucking chance in hell. Farm equipment doesn't usually come home to a charger every night, and dumb fucking batteries will never be able to operate a high energy machine like a combine or large heavily loaded tractor for 16 plus hours a day.  It would work fine for hobby farmers.
View Quote

I consider myself a hobby farmer. I would never in my lifetime even consider an EV tractor. I like to do all of my work at once and I do not have enough electric service at my house for the charger.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:13:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It takes me 22 hours just to cut our fields. ??
View Quote

Do you own the entire state of Vermont ? Have you considered a higher gear ?
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:18:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Do you own the entire state of Vermont ? Have you considered a higher gear ?
View Quote
Higher gears require more horsepower
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:20:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This madness has to stop.  

A mid sized electric dragline uses 6mw of power during regular options.  

6 megawatts.  

Okay. A Tesla uses 34 KW at peak according to google.

1 hour of a draglines electrical consumption could power your Tesla for about 176 hours.

People don’t understand the scale of what is trying to happen here.  “Technology changes!!!’bbnbbwhehye”

Yeah. It does.

But it’s easier to scale down historically than it is to scale up.

Making large equipment to run off a battery with a decent charge rate is a fools game.  It wont be cost effective without .gov stepping in. It won’t be efficient.  It will be wasteful and expensive.

Like most .gov projects.
View Quote

This ignores the fact that the government hates electric power plants. Rainbows and kittens will not make electricity to charge everything electric. Most solar and wind produces about 30% of plated capacity often times much less.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:20:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Tier 5 and the eventuality of tier 6 emissions standards.

Tier 5 will be something around 75-90% stricter than tier 4 final.

There’s a bunch of other ESG stuff coming with tier 5. Essentially “zero” emissions is the only way to get around the ESG stuff. Super extended warranties, testing programs, etc.

So it’s already mandated. It’s coming. It’s just how and when.

Hydrogen is the only real hope we have. As battery just won’t cut it.
View Quote

The real hope is to stop the EPA .
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:22:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm going to put it this way: Most of the people I know who drive Tesla's work as engineers for John Deere and if there was such a massive push for EV tractors I sure as hell would have heard them talk about it at least once. It ain't happening in a year.
View Quote
Sales guys are mostly full of bull shit.

They usually aren't very creative either. So they take something they hear, then exaggerate it, distort it, or get it completely backwards.  

Basically, they are the same as the news.

Problem is, politicians are the same way and they control money and laws.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#10]
You'd have to run power like an irrigation pivot. A long swiveling arm that can be dragged behind the equipment.  Terribly inefficient and it will leave the corners of each 40 unreachable.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:29:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Just build robots, A hundred r2d2's tending your fields. Who cares if an ear of corn will cost you 5.00 each, or more.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:32:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just slap a solar array on the roof, how hard can this be?
View Quote

Then you can keep it going all night!
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:32:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
EVs need to have quick change batteries like cordless tools.  
View Quote

Yes, but this would require leadership.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:34:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They could be referring to a diesel-electric test mule. There is an electric variable transmission commercially available in the 8410R; essentially a hybrid as electric motors take the place of hydraulic motors found in the IVT. Some Euro models can be optioned with a generator to power implements.

I'm voting troll thread. If OP's "friend" works at Deere's test farm, they aren't a farmer, they are a Deere employee. If "friend" is a farmer that beta tests, they have their own equipment to use in addition to the test mule and aren't being forced to do anything.
View Quote

Your username gives you some cred but accusing me of starting a troll thread is insulting. It's just a thread to discuss the topic based on a conversation my friend had with HER friend. I am not making any claims about the efficacy of EV technology nor am I in support of or opposed to it. I just thought it would make for an interesting discussion. This is just a friendly conversation- or, it was until you had to go running around calling me names. Don't you have cows to go milk?
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:39:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's more sustainable than fossil fuels. It's just not nearly convenient or cheap enough yet to really compete.

But yea let's buy more oil from the people who brought us 9/11...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A regular diesel powered school bus cost around $115,000.  And EV school bus cost between $350,000 to $400,000.  

Same increase for a JD tractor.  

EV is not sustainable

It's more sustainable than fossil fuels. It's just not nearly convenient or cheap enough yet to really compete.

We have hundreds of years of oil with current levels of ICE technology. The US government is in the way for drilling here.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:41:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Solar array on roof of a little golf cart carrying two 100 # people cannot keep up to power the cart, to just drive down the fairway.  

Plz someone tell us how a tractor will do even modest work.
View Quote

The true reason we are being invaded by illegal workers, mainly in ag.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:46:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Pressured by whom how?

Sir if you don't buy an electric tractor you'll never see your daughter again!

My tractor is 45 years old and nobody is pressuring me to take it.

The guy at Ace got a new electric zero turn and was pushing it but I didn't make the leap to the Biden administration banning ICE zero turns.
View Quote

Paul (and AR-DairyFarmer) should know that the info shared by my friend was the social media equivalent of two housewives yakking over the backyard fence. When I say "pressured," I was imagining the way the convo between her friend and the John Deere rep may have went. I do know salesmen and they can make compelling arguments for a product that you don't have the time to analyze until after the sales spiel. Pressure is a subjective term. I didn't say she said he was threatening the farmer, lol.

I believe it was AR-DairyFarmer who said this friend must have been either a John Deere employee or a famer who runs beta or his own equipment. I am assuming it is the latter, as my friend did not say he worked for John Deere; she said he is a farmer that runs a test farm. She did mention he said he would not be able to afford the move to electric tractors. I took that to mean he is not a John Deere employee. We both agreed that a year timeline for this is not only premature, it is pie in the sky .gov BS.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:26:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This dude (the author) doesn't know when but it's coming.  Eventually.  Someday.  And it is going to be bad.  My speculation is that it'll also trigger the "big one" earthquake.  The dams will break.  Sharknados.  Tsunamis.  Vitamin D deficiencies due to the lack of sunshine.  George Hamilton will lose his tan.  Avocados will vanish from the store shelves.  Snail Darters will drown.

"Drenching rain will pummel cities and towns. At times, the hills around Los Angeles could get nearly 2 inches of rain an hour. Heavy rain and snow in the Sierra Nevada will test dams in the Central Valley, one of the world's most productive farm belts.
While all this has been happening, another filament of moisture-laden air will have formed over the Pacific and hurtled toward California. Then another. And another.
After a month, nearly 16 inches of precipitation, on average, will have fallen across the state. Large swaths of mountainous areas will have gotten much more. Communities might be ravaged beyond resettling. None of the state's major industries, from tech and Hollywood to farming and oil, will be untouched."

View Quote

Dude YOU ARE RIGHT!  The author is a typical Cali nut job.  Head in the clouds.  The only thing SF GATE is good for is the crime blotter.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:51:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
In another discussion forum I frequent, A friend of mine posted that a farmer she knows that does work on a test form for John Deere is being pressured to switch to electric tractors. They want to do this within a year.

Anybody on here heard of this being implemented within such a ridiculous deadline? She said her friend stated that the growth and harvest cycle requires tractors to be running nonstop for a week or more. How can they possibly create a tractor capable of running on battery power for 24 hours, little alone in under a year?

If what the John Deere rep reportedly said to the farmer is true, it sounds like Biden's administration is smoking some good stuff. This is reminiscient of the Soviet Union's central planning fiasco under Stalin, with impossible goals and resultant failures. Of course, starvation was the plan then... is it the plan now?
View Quote

In answer to you question, it aint happening.  If they mandate it there will surely be a food shortage.  EV excavators suck and can't do the job.  there is a reason so few places rent them.
the technology for heavy equipment Evs will never be here.
oh yeah.........ev thread
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:52:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Tax credits all the way down

clever
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:55:20 PM EDT
[#21]
They are going balls deep with this EV shit.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 12:01:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
About that battery...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMOkFqN1tC8
View Quote

That thing have a GFCI, because you know it is going to get cut a time or two.

The highway where trucks work like electric trains

Just make the roads out of corn and you are good to go  
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 12:10:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Won't need the tractors at the rate we're going around here. Thousands upon thousands of acres of farmland on something like 30 year leases to put solar panels on. In the midwest, where winters are completely socked in with clouds most days, and hail damage wiping out crops every few years. Oh well, they don't have to actually work, the taxpayer money will go to the solar companies anyway. Solyndra 2.0. Except that they're taking a whole lot of farm ground out of production. Collective insanity.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 12:24:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Then you can keep it going all night!
View Quote

No sh*t! Farmers don’t stop at sundown when you need to feed the world. But I guess if EV tractors can grow enough to feed politicians, that’s fine.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 12:37:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Does anyone get the feeling that the green new deal is referring to soylent green?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 12:39:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Does anyone get the feeling that the green new deal is referring to soylent green?
View Quote

I think they want to kill people faster than that.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 12:55:49 AM EDT
[#27]
My tractor has a reserve fuel supply for when I'm not paying attention and if I let it run dry, I can carry a one or to gallon can of fuel to get going. It's going to be hard to carry one or two gallons of electricity.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 1:11:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My tractor has a reserve fuel supply for when I'm not paying attention and if I let it run dry, I can carry a one or to gallon can of fuel to get going. It's going to be hard to carry one or two gallons of electricity.
View Quote

Apparently you will just need to have a convoy of semis loaded with $400,000 batteries following you around along with some sort of mech suit that can handle swapping out a few tons for when you run low.

Simple.

ETA: And hopefully all the rough use and handling don't puncture any cells because then your field and all the equipment on it will be fucked when those bastards light up.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 1:17:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

We have hundreds of years of oil with current levels of ICE technology. The US government is in the way for drilling here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A regular diesel powered school bus cost around $115,000.  And EV school bus cost between $350,000 to $400,000.  

Same increase for a JD tractor.  

EV is not sustainable

We have tens of thousands of years of electric.

US government is fucking us, yes.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 1:57:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Unless they started building nuclear power plants like 30 years ago, we'll never have enough electricity just for cars, much less all the other stuff. It's not happening any other way.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 2:30:41 AM EDT
[#31]
The green revolution needs to kill off as many people as possible. Their goals can not be met otherwise.

Why should they care if we starve to death?

More emotional and irrational idiots are subscribing to this stupidity every day.  It’s like covid x10.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:29:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The green revolution needs to kill off as many people as possible. Their goals can not be met otherwise.

Why should they care if we starve to death?

More emotional and irrational idiots are subscribing to this stupidity every day.  It's like covid x10.
View Quote
Whenever you hear 'regenerative agriculture' for anything larger than a hobby farm the person spouting that is an idiot or homicidal.  Regenerative agriculture tenents are like Jimmy Carter's shit.  There is an occasional peanut in it but that doesn't change the fact that it is shit.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:39:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Well 25 years ago or so i worked at warehouse that used electric forklifts. Worked 3 shifts.
Every forklift had 2 batteries, 1 in the lift and 1 on a pallet plugged in to a charger. Took about 5 minutes to swap out batteries.
Use a little imagination and you can see how that might work for tractors.
View Quote

That warehouse also had electricity to charge the batteries, hoists, and racks to swap out the batteries. Most of the fields I've seen lack all of those things. Use your imagination a little and see how it might not work.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:59:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

A lithium battery for a combine that can last as long as a farmer needs to is going to weigh, what, 3 tons? Nobody is making a quick change 3 ton anything.
View Quote

For 12 hours in a 400 hp tractor running it 100% to empty you'd need approx 29,000 pounds of lithium batteries. That is assuming really good batteries.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:03:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The real hope is to stop the EPA .
View Quote

The real hope is old equipment. I have heard there are more 40 year old tractors running today than there were 30 year old tractors 10 years ago. They last indefinitely with TLC and some maintenance.

The powers that be don't want energy, period. "gReEn" is just a way to siphon money to themselves in the present. It's pretty simple: Any politician who doesn't fully support nuclear power and NG production should be considered a traitor who does not have Americans' best interest in mind. Label them a terrorist for all I care.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:05:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Yes. They have a long retractable cord attached to the tractor with a charge station at the end of the field. Evidently there’s video of it in operation. My mother was telling me about it this past weekend. Parents are farmers.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:15:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

More than that.  If the combine is producing 400 hp, that is roughly 20 gallons and hour, over 300 gallons in 16 hours.  Forage harvestors kick out about 1000 hp, almost a gallon a minute for diesel.  Rule of thumb is one gallon diesel produces 20hp for an hour.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A modern combine can burn 200 plus gallons of diesel in a 16 hour period.  Thats almost 28 million BTU.  Ill let someone smarter than me take it from there.

More than that.  If the combine is producing 400 hp, that is roughly 20 gallons and hour, over 300 gallons in 16 hours.  Forage harvestors kick out about 1000 hp, almost a gallon a minute for diesel.  Rule of thumb is one gallon diesel produces 20hp for an hour.

Link to 1000hp forage harvester?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:19:02 AM EDT
[#38]
If the guy does testing for them then it sounds like they are planning to have a prototype for him to test next year.  Nobody is pressuring a farmer to switch to electric tractors in regular production because they don’t exist.

And yes, battery power for tractors is a dumb idea.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:20:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Not a fucking chance in hell. Farm equipment doesn't usually come home to a charger every night, and dumb fucking batteries will never be able to operate a high energy machine like a combine or large heavily loaded tractor for 16 plus hours a day.  It would work fine for hobby farmers.
View Quote

Not if they're doing hay for themselves and a few other customers, like me. I just spent a 10hr day raking, square-baling and round-baling at full power with my diesel tractor. And that was only for about 20 acres of hay. which was the remainder of my first cut. I know damn well that a EV tractor can't operate for half that time at full output. I do 175 acres of hay twice a year, and try to do as much as possible to fit into 3 straight hay-weather days - usually 60-75 acres at a time. It doesn't matter that I have days or weeks between operations, and have time to charge batteries during that time.
These bureaucrats can't think even 2 steps ahead.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:22:32 AM EDT
[#40]
a
Quoted:

Apparently you will just need to have a convoy of semis loaded with $400,000 batteries following you around along with some sort of mech suit that can handle swapping out a few tons for when you run low.

Simple.

ETA: And hopefully all the rough use and handling don't puncture any cells because then your field and all the equipment on it will be fucked when those bastards light up.
View Quote

Fires might actually be the one advantage of EV's in farm equipment.  Every year I see multiple combines burned to nothing in the fields during harvest, the bean dust gets around the hot exhaust and ignites.  By the time a fire department shows up there isn't much left.

My grandpa about lost a combine the same way when I was a kid.  It was just dumb luck that my uncle pulled in behind him and saw the smoke coming from the engine compartment and was able to put it out with a small fire extinguisher before it got out of control.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:22:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Farmers need to look at alcohol for fuel so they can grow there own fuel or they will be screwed when the electricity is turned off.
I bet the Rich people are heavily invested in this EV industry so they can get mega rich like they did with Covid-19 vaccine stocks
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:23:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I got suckered in to trying an electric auger this springtime.

The rocky ass central Texas soil put it out if commission right away. Had an anti kickback feature so it's practically worthless.

A 50 year old Danueser with a broken bearing did the job. I simply can't see electrical agricultural machines that are capable in my lifetime.
View Quote

If an electric auger didn't have an anti-kickback feature, it would kill you. Electric torque is incredible, but sometime not practical.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:23:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Well 25 years ago or so i worked at warehouse that used electric forklifts. Worked 3 shifts.
Every forklift had 2 batteries, 1 in the lift and 1 on a pallet plugged in to a charger. Took about 5 minutes to swap out batteries.
Use a little imagination and you can see how that might work for tractors.
View Quote

For a machine working in a warehouse I can see that working.  My friend farms across multiple counties.  His machines don’t come home every night.  How big of a battery is he going to have to haul out to the field for a 500 hp tractor?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:56:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The real hope is old equipment. I have heard there are more 40 year old tractors running today than there were 30 year old tractors 10 years ago. They last indefinitely with TLC and some maintenance.

The powers that be don't want energy, period. "gReEn" is just a way to siphon money to themselves in the present. It's pretty simple: Any politician who doesn't fully support nuclear power and NG production should be considered a traitor who does not have Americans' best interest in mind. Label them a terrorist for all I care.
View Quote
My parents still mow with a Farmall A built in the 1930s .

Engine was rebuilt 15 years ago.  Runs like new
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:58:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Link to 1000hp forage harvester?
View Quote

2021 John Deere 9900 Forage Harvester and Chopper
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:22:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That warehouse also had electricity to charge the batteries, hoists, and racks to swap out the batteries. Most of the fields I've seen lack all of those things. Use your imagination a little and see how it might not work.
View Quote

Slinging a 2, 000 # battery pack in the field ?, every day,  what could go wrong ?     They'll have a trailer w/ a crane,  maybe a diesel genset to charge ,   hey....... wait a minute.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:26:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Pass...... HARD PASS!!  Last I checked there were no outlets in the middle of fields out here.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 12:39:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Pressured by whom how?

Sir if you don't buy an electric tractor you'll never see your daughter again!

My tractor is 45 years old and nobody is pressuring me to take it.

The guy at Ace got a new electric zero turn and was pushing it but I didn't make the leap to the Biden administration banning ICE zero turns.
View Quote

Assuming the story wasn’t made up out of whole cloth, it would appear Deere is asking one of their test farms to test some flavor of experimental electric tractor.  The nerve!
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 12:59:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

There’s a bunch of other ESG stuff coming with tier 5. Essentially “zero” emissions is the only way to get around the ESG stuff. Super extended warranties, testing programs, etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You know it's really strange that the only place salesmen lie is at the gun counter and car lot.

The ones everywhere else are a pure as the driven snow, so totally locked in with both production and maintenance they work weekends in the shops, and follow every heartbeat of politics.

How would the US government mandate that farmers use EVs in the next few months, before next year?

I would say our only hope is to end the rule of the regulatory state.  SCOTUS gave us an opening, and the gas prices this year should have given us the motivation.  We’ll see.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 1:15:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Pass...... HARD PASS!!  Last I checked there were no outlets in the middle of fields out here.
View Quote

Like the 3 phase power running to every farm pivot?

I'm not saying that it's practical but it's certainly not impossible either.

Tethered equipment with a small onboard battery for short distance transport would work.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top