BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 8:48:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He's not actually Travis' kid. It's just a running joke.
View Quote

No that's Adminstrative Results.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 8:56:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I met him at NRA a few years ago. I got to talk with him got about 5 minutes and he seems like I genuine dude who loves what he does.

He is as pro 2a as you can get. He gets off his ass and doesn't just keyboard warrior. He's good in my book.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 9:32:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Kind of figured this didn’t just come from nowhere.

Things that make you go hmmmm.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He is making this series for a reason.

So what's the reason?
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:26:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I sometimes watch his videos.  But he and others that have big followings are forced to constantly put up new content to keep their search algorithms good.  So they are forced to talk about things they don't have expertise in and etc.   As mentioned by someone else, I don't much enjoy when the host makes it about himself.  I fast forward through those parts.   He is not the worst at that by far.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:27:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Heh.  Joking aside, isn't SERE done out of Fairchild?
View Quote

It is and it’s where he was. Pretty sure he stated on social media he’s a TACP.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 3:32:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow that was a nicely presented and interesting overview of gear to kick off the series.

Very cool and looking forward to the next installment.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 3:34:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I saw the video popup in my feed and my first thought was: huh this seems ominous, yet pertinent.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 3:37:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Good video and interesting content.  

I am a little concerned so many people here appear to have no experience with actually getting your thumb garanded.  #neverforget
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 3:57:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live in Lakewood and have never heard of it.

Was just going to say he could be out at Fairchild. SERE is there.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 4:29:42 PM EDT
[#10]
OST.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Watched the entire video.  Lots of good stuff to think about.

Walking out of work today, it made me think how many people will be headed out into the “field” when it is needed.  Here is what I was looking at when it dawned on me that I may need some make some adjustments.

Attachment Attached File

First things first.  Cement camo.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Watched the entire video.  Lots of good stuff to think about.

Walking out of work today, it made me think how many people will be headed out into the “field” when it is needed.  Here is what I was looking at when it dawned on me that I may need some make some adjustments.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/326845/194291D4-CCA7-49A9-861E-37885A7CC1B6_jpe-2179848.JPG

First things first.  Cement camo.
View Quote

UCP finally finds its place!
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#13]
New video out today.

I'm liking this videos series alot.

Now what instructors specialize in recce training?
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 3:36:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live in Lakewood and have never heard of it.

He was formerly a SERE instructor while enlisted.

He commissioned and is now a TACP-O.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 3:44:55 PM EDT
[#15]
OP is updated with the second installment.  

Its been a long weekend and I just got to a computer.  I'll post some personal takeaways from 1 & 2 in a few minutes that we can discuss if you want.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 3:50:24 PM EDT
[#16]
How does one go about saving youtube vids to the computer?
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same question
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 4:05:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Same question
View Quote

Its been a while, but the last time I did it I had to go to a third party website, type in the url, and they converted it to an mp4.  

Google "how to download a youtube video" to find the third party sites.  But do some homework because some are pretty sketchy.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 4:18:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Inspired me to tear down an Assault pack and get all the bullshit off it that I don't actually use.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 5:10:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Its been a while, but the last time I did it I had to go to a third party website, type in the url, and they converted it to an mp4.  

Google "how to download a youtube video" to find the third party sites.  But do some homework because some are pretty sketchy.
View Quote

Easy on Linux - can't tell you on windows though
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 5:17:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 8:14:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

They 'gon learn though.  

Total on-topic thread hijack; he does briefly mention the arguments revolving around Gore-tex pants without hitting up any details.  

Personally I've never owned or used them and rely on water-repellent nylon stuff when needed - the Army level 5 stuff.   Used to use the wet weather top/bottom when I was in; we had the woodland nylon stuff with the PU coating on the inside that looked like the ECWCS Gore-tex gear, except not breathable, that we sometimes used in utterly awful cold wet weather if we were going to be static enough.

Any opinions?   I've found that if it's cold enough to rain, usually the level 5 pants shed enough water and dry fast enough that they're sufficient when used with a silk-weight base layer.   But I'm sort of wondering what I might be missing with Gore-tex bottoms or some similar breathable hardshell.

Relevant infographic:

https://preppersurvivor.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/protective_combat_uniform_pcu_visual_guide.jpg

I find this matches my own usage of a bunch of this.  Some of the issue items (lookin' at you, level 7) are flimsier than I'd like but for the going rate of ~$80 for new with tags, not bad for a Primaloft garment.

For those not familiar with the PCU stuff - level 5 is water repellent lightweight nylon, level 6 is hardshell (what used to be the ECWCS Gore-tex shells), level 7 is puffy insulated stuff with similar water repellency to level 5.

Newer issue level 4/5/6 is Multicam or Scorpion OCP; no idea what the puffy stuff is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This one will be a good series although most people will have no idea why it is important.

They 'gon learn though.  

Total on-topic thread hijack; he does briefly mention the arguments revolving around Gore-tex pants without hitting up any details.  

Personally I've never owned or used them and rely on water-repellent nylon stuff when needed - the Army level 5 stuff.   Used to use the wet weather top/bottom when I was in; we had the woodland nylon stuff with the PU coating on the inside that looked like the ECWCS Gore-tex gear, except not breathable, that we sometimes used in utterly awful cold wet weather if we were going to be static enough.

Any opinions?   I've found that if it's cold enough to rain, usually the level 5 pants shed enough water and dry fast enough that they're sufficient when used with a silk-weight base layer.   But I'm sort of wondering what I might be missing with Gore-tex bottoms or some similar breathable hardshell.

Relevant infographic:

https://preppersurvivor.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/protective_combat_uniform_pcu_visual_guide.jpg

I find this matches my own usage of a bunch of this.  Some of the issue items (lookin' at you, level 7) are flimsier than I'd like but for the going rate of ~$80 for new with tags, not bad for a Primaloft garment.

For those not familiar with the PCU stuff - level 5 is water repellent lightweight nylon, level 6 is hardshell (what used to be the ECWCS Gore-tex shells), level 7 is puffy insulated stuff with similar water repellency to level 5.

Newer issue level 4/5/6 is Multicam or Scorpion OCP; no idea what the puffy stuff is.

That's an interesting graphic.

I have not had great luck with military goretex. The ecwcs has wetted through on me many times. If it isn't cold enough, I'll be wet with sweat before I'm wet with rain.

Goretex boots I have totally given up on. You will be soaked, one way or the other. I like my garments that drain. If it is cold enough there is no liquid water, I don't need waterproof.

Cold/wet weather clothing is like holsters, back packs, LBE. I will be looking for perfection until I die. Until then, I make do with what I have.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 8:19:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

He also says GT is a bad father. Don't forget that

This vid was solid, albeit pretty basic stuff. I look forward to the rest of the series.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's some ranger here that gets real mad whenever people bring him up because he doesn't have combat deployments lol

GT is a funny dude and doesn't take himself too seriously.

He also says GT is a bad father. Don't forget that

This vid was solid, albeit pretty basic stuff. I look forward to the rest of the series.

Lays out his baseline and explains reasoning then tells you to find what works for you.

That's the great thing about fieldcraft. A bazillion variables that there is only one way to find answers for yourself
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

He used to be a SERE instructor.

He is a TAC-P/J-TAC now and a LT. He was an E5.

I looked him up on the USAF global email last year sometime. I don’t even remember his name now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He gave me the impression he’s no longer in the military. I may have missed that pet somewhere. He kept saying “I used to use this in the military.”

He used to be a SERE instructor.

He is a TAC-P/J-TAC now and a LT. He was an E5.

I looked him up on the USAF global email last year sometime. I don’t even remember his name now.

Jones Muthafuckah,  I believe is what he said.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 9:52:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

When he talked about radios it kind of reminded me of a Vice video I watched a while back about the trenches being used by Ukrainians and Russians.

It mentioned that the Ukrainians were using WW1 style wired telephones for communication because if they fired up an HT the Russians would shell them.

Thought it was an interesting connection.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It had a certain vibe particularly discussing the ease of radio triangulation, IR avoidance, and to leave your cell phone at home.

When he talked about radios it kind of reminded me of a Vice video I watched a while back about the trenches being used by Ukrainians and Russians.

It mentioned that the Ukrainians were using WW1 style wired telephones for communication because if they fired up an HT the Russians would shell them.

We use to play a game as teens with CB radios and vehicles. Triangulation was fun in the '80s with civilian gear, as amateur kids.

Imagine what pros can do with real shit, today.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 10:18:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That's an interesting graphic.

I have not had great luck with military goretex. The ecwcs has wetted through on me many times. If it isn't cold enough, I'll be wet with sweat before I'm wet with rain.

Goretex boots I have totally given up on. You will be soaked, one way or the other. I like my garments that drain. If it is cold enough there is no liquid water, I don't need waterproof.

Cold/wet weather clothing is like holsters, back packs, LBE. I will be looking for perfection until I die. Until then, I make do with what I have.
View Quote

If I was issued it for free Id bring gore tex pants but I think wet weather pants do the same thing most of the time. it was more advantageous really cold/dry/windy/stationary.  I always thought it was easy to overheat and break a sweat in them.  Then again, if you had a baggy pair of gore tex pants probably easier to pull them on and off then something under your regular pants.  I suppose the key would be polypro bottoms, gore tex pants, and no cotton, but most guys didnt wear them that way.

I owned a pair of jakes, heavy polypro with velcro sides, and t hey were great if you had to take them off, but aligning the velcro up was a PITA.  it seemed taking bottoms on and off on the move is always an issue.  

I didn't like goretex boots as I was concerned they could become soaked and water may not drain.  I swear swear swear by  goretex booties. Worth their weight in gold. Your feet get wet, they get wet, especially a stream crossing.  You dry feet with a towel, powder, fresh socks, and gore tex booties, and that keeps you going while your boots are drying out.  Changing socks with wet boots is pointless.  Those hours your feet are dry, not wet, can make all the difference. Be very gentle with them as you pull them or rip a seam and they are done.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 10:34:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

We use to play a game as teens with CB radios and vehicles. Triangulation was fun in the '80s with civilian gear, as amateur kids.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It had a certain vibe particularly discussing the ease of radio triangulation, IR avoidance, and to leave your cell phone at home.

It's a really interesting topic, and I often wonder how many people even consider the level of capability that exists, in addition to the level of signature they actually emit on a daily basis.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 10:36:48 PM EDT
[#28]
I've been wearing the Army PT pants I got in 2009 for dedicated snow pants, mostly while shoveling snow or walking to the store. They may not be absolutely waterproof (I'd guess the pants/boots transition would be a bigger problem) but they're moderately insulated, roomy enough for long johns and were "free". They are a little noisy though, to get the length I needed I had to get XL pants and I feel a bit like MC Hammer.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 10:43:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Testing your guns in a real world environment is crucial. I had a Beretta CX4 carbine that I really liked…compact, accurate, great little gun. However when I took it hog hunting I found that the mag release could be easily depressed inadvertently while slung, causing it to drop loaded mags. That issue bother me enough to get rid of it. May seem dumb, but it matters
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 10:45:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Rumor is he’s local to me. Would love to go shoot or just have a beer with him.
View Quote

He did a video at the house of Garett of Kagwerks about a year ago. Garret lives in the neighborhood my wife and I moved out of about 2 years ago, so I just missed GT. :(

Interestingly, Garett’s house was up for sale and just went pending. I wouldn’t be surprised if he is taking Kagwerks out of WA and heading east.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 10:47:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

We did the same, it was fun.  Can't remember the name of it though.  We'd go a pretty far ways too.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 10:48:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If I was issued it for free Id bring gore tex pants but I think wet weather pants do the same thing most of the time. it was more advantageous really cold/dry/windy/stationary.  I always thought it was easy to overheat and break a sweat in them.  Then again, if you had a baggy pair of gore tex pants probably easier to pull them on and off then something under your regular pants.  I suppose the key would be polypro bottoms, gore tex pants, and no cotton, but most guys didnt wear them that way.

I owned a pair of jakes, heavy polypro with velcro sides, and t hey were great if you had to take them off, but aligning the velcro up was a PITA.  it seemed taking bottoms on and off on the move is always an issue.  

I didn't like goretex boots as I was concerned they could become soaked and water may not drain.  I swear swear swear by  goretex booties. Worth their weight in gold. Your feet get wet, they get wet, especially a stream crossing.  You dry feet with a towel, powder, fresh socks, and gore tex booties, and that keeps you going while your boots are drying out.  Changing socks with wet boots is pointless.  Those hours your feet are dry, not wet, can make all the difference. Be very gentle with them as you pull them or rip a seam and they are done.
View Quote

Spell check got me. I meant Garmont boots.

Staying dry in different conditions is as much art as it is science. Running freestyle nav races in February 20* , I'd wear a wicking t shirt,  a ecwcs parka and a fleece hat. Pants were light nylon hikers. Trail runners with polypro liners and merino socks. On the run, the parka was open, cap was off. Stop to take a bearing, cap goes on, parka gets zipped. Fleece, mylar blanket, extra socks in the pack incase something happens.

If I were sitting in a deer stand with the same clothes, I would have froze.

I dont like polypro undies at all because after a couple days, the smell is unbearable. They are warm but... wool is much better all around. You sure as shit pay for it, though.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 10:55:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

We did the same, it was fun.  Can't remember the name of it though.  We'd go a pretty far ways too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We called it "rabbit and hound" but I'm sure it has many names.

My cousin was a bit of an radio nerd and was like Superman with his stuff. Directional antennae, various meters, etc. I was the map geek.

Technology of today is...more advanced.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 11:00:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Solid set of videos. I have some redesigning to do in my kit after watching that. Didn’t dawn on me that my Magpul split with metal mounts are Shit for stealth. I mean it makes absolute sense but just didn’t put two and two together
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 11:01:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Part 1 and part 2. Both are good shit. Thanks Flannel-brother!
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 11:07:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

We called it "rabbit and hound" but I'm sure it has many names.

My cousin was a bit of an radio nerd and was like Superman with his stuff. Directional antennae, various meters, etc. I was the map geek.

Technology of today is...more advanced.
View Quote

Us HAM geeks call it “fox hunting”.  Painfully easy for people that know what they are doing.  I’m sure the feds are WAY better than we are….

Also, Flannel Daddy seems like a solid dude.  I enjoy his vids.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 11:47:30 PM EDT
[#37]
A great take away from Part 1 was Surprise Grenade.

I can't wait to watch Part 2.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 11:50:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Testing your guns in a real world environment is crucial. I had a Beretta CX4 carbine that I really liked…compact, accurate, great little gun. However when I took it hog hunting I found that the mag release could be easily depressed inadvertently while slung, causing it to drop loaded mags. That issue bother me enough to get rid of it. May seem dumb, but it matters
View Quote

Another thing a lot of people do not consider with their guns is lubrication.  

Some gun lubes turn to goo in the cold.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 11:58:22 PM EDT
[#39]
I asked this in the other GT Mountain video thread here.  Out of curiosity would doing research, reading, and studying LRRP and Recondo be a better approach.  Kind of a lessons learned from folks that have been there done that (RECCE).
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 12:05:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I asked this in the other GT Mountain video thread here.  Out of curiosity would doing research, reading, and studying LRRP and Recondo be a better approach.  Kind of a lessons learned from folks that have been there done that (RECCE).
View Quote

Knowledge is power bro.  Learn all you can from who you can.

And that's true for every discipline.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 7:28:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is a way to do it with VLC Media Player.  It’s pretty easy really.  It works majority of the time and when it doesn’t just use a 3rd party video grabber.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 8:05:21 AM EDT
[#42]
It’s interesting how these 2 threads are going. Everyone in this thread seems to think there is good info being passed along by a SME, the other thread is full of cry babies who seem to be butthurt about the videos and Flannel Daddy in general.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 8:47:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truth, absolute.

That can be learning what not to do, too.

Just be sure to vet any source and absorb with plenty of scrutiny and critical thinking.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 9:43:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

So what's the reason?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what's the reason?

GT was on Mike Glover's podcast a few weeks back. That will provide a little context.

Interestingly, Tony Cowden's name came up in that same podcast and I saw the other day that he's announced he's running for congress.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 9:50:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

GT was on Mike Glover's podcast a few weeks back. That will provide a little context.

Interestingly, Tony Cowden's name came up in that same podcast and I saw the other day that he's announced he's running for congress.
View Quote
Yeah... I saw that on gt's fb page. I also saw this:

Attachment Attached File

Not sure what his platform is but if that is the same guy then he seems like another RINO looking to capitalize off his (admittedly) awesome credentials that people assume make him one of "us." (Cough* FBRCC)

Link Posted: 12/20/2021 9:52:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Seems like it. He is on our side for sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is he trying to ‘tell’ us something?
I like the guy. Good sense of humor.

Seems like it. He is on our side for sure.

We're being "told" stuff by multiple sources in the military and fedgov.  Even on this site.

It might be wise to listen, although I hope those that are "telling" us things are wrong.

Either way, this type of subject matter is fun for me.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 9:57:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/435611/FB_IMG_16400079127726514_jpg-2210339.JPG

Not sure what his platform is but if that is the same guy then he seems like another RINO looking to capitalize off his (admittedly) awesome credentials that people assume make him one of "us." (Cough* FBRCC)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/435611/FB_IMG_16400079127726514_jpg-2210339.JPG

He's not in my district, or even in my state, so I don't have a dog in that fight. I just thought it was interesting that there are a lot of these 2a social media types who are all of a sudden getting real serious about the direction our country is headed.

I don't mean to (or want to) turn this into a Tony Cowden thread, but I want to point out that his quote was heavily couched in "if they can meet standards," and not just an outright endorsement, so I'm not quite boiling tar and cutting pillowcases.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 11:40:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what's the reason?

@thezentree you happen to have a link to this podcast?
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 11:42:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what's the reason?

Or a synopsis?
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top