BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 11:49:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@thezentree you happen to have a link to this podcast?
View Quote

It's episode 44 of the "Mike Force" Podcast. Titled simply "Garand Thumb." I'll leave you to search it out on your preferred platform, but I know it's available on Apple Podcasts and Spotify.

Apple link: https://podcasts.apple.com/bh/podcast/0044-garand-thumb/id1510253966?i=1000542180119
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 11:49:48 AM EDT
[#2]
ETA: ^this

Quoted:

Or a synopsis?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
He is making this series for a reason.

Kind of figured this didn’t just come from nowhere.

Things that make you go hmmmm.

So what's the reason?

GT was on Mike Glover's podcast a few weeks back. That will provide a little context.

Interestingly, Tony Cowden's name came up in that same podcast and I saw the other day that he's announced he's running for congress.

Or a synopsis?

Mike Force Podcast episode 0044

It mostly deals with GT getting kicked off instagram a little while ago, but they get into people getting active/involved with politics and how serious of a situation we're in.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 11:51:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It's episode 44 of the "Mike Force" Podcast. Titled simply "Garand Thumb." I'll leave you to search it out on your preferred platform, but I know it's available on Apple Podcasts and Spotify.

Apple link: https://podcasts.apple.com/bh/podcast/0044-garand-thumb/id1510253966?i=1000542180119
View Quote

Thank you sir
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 11:55:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It mostly deals with GT getting kicked off instagram a little while ago, but they get into people getting active/involved with politics and how serious of a situation we're in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
He is making this series for a reason.

Kind of figured this didn’t just come from nowhere.

Things that make you go hmmmm.

So what's the reason?

GT was on Mike Glover's podcast a few weeks back. That will provide a little context.

Interestingly, Tony Cowden's name came up in that same podcast and I saw the other day that he's announced he's running for congress.

Or a synopsis?

Link Posted: 12/20/2021 12:09:12 PM EDT
[#5]
[DELETED]
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 12:13:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Flannel Dad was giving strong hints to leave the cell phones at home. It's going to be worth the time to watch and download these next videos in the series.
View Quote

If shit ever went down, you can bet they'll mine data to find your hidey hole.  Think your favorite away-from-home locations are safe in the future?  Not if you've been there in the past with your phone (or any other myriad of electronic devices).  I'm just coming to realize this myself.  Not that I anticipate shit ever going down.  Hell, my iPhone reminds me that my once a month chore is happening and how many miles and how much time it will take to get there.  This "chore" is not on any calendar or note, nor is the location.  The phone has figured out my patterns.  And, as cute as you think you are in avoiding it, there is no way to hide your patterns.

And as far as amateur radio is concerned, I'm sure direction finders will monitor the entire spectrum.  Low power (short distance) unencrypted transmissions on VHF/UHF may be safer than HF???   Of course, "listening" in on those brave souls willing to transmit costs nothing.  

It is extremely sad to think about how an out-of-control government might become a serious problem to we citizens.  We've created this mess by our choices in representatives.  I really never thought we would be where we are today.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 12:15:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If shit ever went down, you can bet they'll mine data to find your hidey hole.  Think your favorite away-from-home locations are safe in the future?  Not if you've been there in the past with your phone (or any other myriad of electronic devices).  I'm just coming to realize this myself.  Not that I anticipate shit ever going down.  Hell, my iPhone reminds me that my once a month chore is happening and how many miles and how much time it will take to get there.  This "chore" is not on any calendar or note, nor is the location.  The phone has figured out my patterns.  And, as cute as you think you are in avoiding it, there is no way to hide your patterns.

And as far as amateur radio is concerned, I'm sure direction finders will monitor the entire spectrum.  Low power (short distance) unencrypted transmissions on VHF/UHF may be safer than HF???   Of course, "listening" in on those brave souls willing to transmit costs nothing.  

It is extremely sad to think about how an out-of-control government might become a serious problem to we citizens.  We've created this mess by our choices in representatives.  I really never thought we would be where we are today.
View Quote

Every measure has a counter measure.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 12:16:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is true if the scale of "insurrection" numbers from a few dozen-100s. If there is a widescale disruption and 10%+ of the US population is in outright rebellion then "they" will have a much harder time doing stuff. Cellular phone service, power supply, etc all becomes unreliable. Remember, one man Christopher Dorner, had nearly the entirety of Southern California's LE community with all of their vast resources engaged for 12 days.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Flannel Dad was giving strong hints to leave the cell phones at home. It's going to be worth the time to watch and download these next videos in the series.

Your last paragraph is powerful and bears repeating.  I would even add that our government HAS become a serious problem to we citizens.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 12:29:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Your last paragraph is powerful and bears repeating.  I would even add that our government HAS become a serious problem to we citizens.
View Quote

FYI, I was rooting for the computer in Eagle Eye.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 12:35:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Rumor is he’s local to me. Would love to go shoot or just have a beer with him.
View Quote

Same seems like a cool dude. Would gladly buy him a beer for all the good he's done for the 2nd amendment community. I think he's taught a ton of people, and ton of things though his videos.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 12:52:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

When he talked about radios it kind of reminded me of a Vice video I watched a while back about the trenches being used by Ukrainians and Russians.

It mentioned that the Ukrainians were using WW1 style wired telephones for communication because if they fired up an HT the Russians would shell them.

Thought it was an interesting connection.
View Quote

This dates to WWII. Years ago I was talking to a guy that was a radio man in the Pacific in the USMC. He said what was so bad about his job was they found, every time they would use the radio, that location would get shelled less than a min latter. The Japanese where REALLY good and quick at triangulating and firing on a radio call. So if you wanted to make a radio call, you would try to get away from where any friendlies where dug in. Make your call and MOVE. Always on the move, and away from cover with a heavy ass radio. All around it was a crap deal, because you would want to be calling in Arty, and using the radio to make a correction, and that would result in YOU getting shelled, and they would have your EXACT location. Cat and mouse game. Trying to kill the observer to prevent accurate fire.

So if that was a thing in WWII....
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 3:52:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This dates to WWII. Years ago I was talking to a guy that was a radio man in the Pacific in the USMC. He said what was so bad about his job was they found, every time they would use the radio, that location would get shelled less than a min latter. The Japanese where REALLY good and quick at triangulating and firing on a radio call. So if you wanted to make a radio call, you would try to get away from where any friendlies where dug in. Make your call and MOVE. Always on the move, and away from cover with a heavy ass radio. All around it was a crap deal, because you would want to be calling in Arty, and using the radio to make a correction, and that would result in YOU getting shelled, and they would have your EXACT location. Cat and mouse game. Trying to kill the observer to prevent accurate fire.

So if that was a thing in WWII....
View Quote

If you can check out the EP EMCON SOP. And if you can access that you might as well check out the Camouflage SOP.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 5:10:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If you can check out the EP EMCON SOP. And if you can access that you might as well check out the Camouflage SOP.
View Quote

Do you mean this

If you can access? As far as I know it's open source. You just need to know where to look.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Do you mean this

If you can access? As far as I know it's open source. You just need to know where to look.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you mean this

Exactly what i was talking about. I didnt realize it went open source but definitely awesome reading material.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Exactly what i was talking about. I didnt realize it went open source but definitely awesome reading material.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you mean this

I should probably add this too.

Lots of good reading. Some like the Russian EW in Ukraine or SF Detachment Mission Planning Guide I haven't seen anywhere else.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 7:36:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Do you mean this

View Quote

Thanks for the link. My printer will hate you.

Link Posted: 12/20/2021 8:16:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It had a certain vibe particularly discussing the ease of radio triangulation, IR avoidance, and to leave your cell phone at home.
View Quote

All the 1-6ers can confirm.

Also CC, vehicles registered to you, smart devices, air travel, disguise your biometrics....

Being anonymous takes some work.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that is what needs to be widely distributed
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 9:23:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Good series. I enjoy the channel and the quality of the content.

Decided to go ahead and rattle can my one rifle I would be grabbing if things start popping off. Very unlike me to do so but reality is that it's a tool and it better serves its purpose when it blends in.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 1:31:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Do you mean this

View Quote

Thank you. That's a lot of info and some dam good reading. Oh GPS I didn't think about that one... Back to map and compass and watch. I have become so spoiled with my GPS.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 9:49:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Enjoying this series very much.

I enjoy learning information and discussions like this.

That the subject matter has a broader, deeper, context that is relevant to my interest is a bonus.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 10:19:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Solid set of videos. I have some redesigning to do in my kit after watching that. Didn’t dawn on me that my Magpul split with metal mounts are Shit for stealth. I mean it makes absolute sense but just didn’t put two and two together
View Quote

If you're using QD attatchments, a bit of tape goes a long way towards quieting things down. If you're using the ASAP plate...yeah that little ring is noisy as shit.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 10:27:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 11:30:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Any idea what chest rig he has on? Its not a Haley by the looks of it.
View Quote

@Lancelot at the 23:15 mark in the first video he talks about it. It is a Mayflower gen IV chest rig.

Mayflower Chest Rig

Link Posted: 12/21/2021 11:36:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 11:46:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Thank you. That's a lot of info and some dam good reading. Oh GPS I didn't think about that one... Back to map and compass and watch. I have become so spoiled with my GPS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you mean this

I can see how GPS could spoil a guy. I am a hard core map and compass type. Did freestyle land nav racing,  adventure races, etc. When the wife is in the car and we're going someplace new or difficult, she always boots up google maps and that thing puts you right on the money 99%of the time. Way too convenient.

I still use my maps because it is good for me.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 11:49:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I can see how GPS could spoil a guy. I am a hard core map and compass type. Did freestyle land nav racing,  adventure races, etc. When the wife is in the car and we're going someplace new or difficult, she always boots up google maps and that thing puts you right on the money 99%of the time. Way too convenient.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you mean this

I understand the need for map/compass land nav. But is there a problem with using a regular GPS (not a cell phone)from a EM standpoint? They don't transmit anything. GT is wearing one in the video.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 11:55:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Lots of good reading. Some like the Russian EW in Ukraine or SF Detachment Mission Planning Guide I haven't seen anywhere else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you mean this

Another good book to have is the Afghan Insurgent TTP Field Guide put out by the Marine Corps Intelligence Activity years ago. It goes deep into insurgent small unit tactics, what worked and what didn't in actual individual ambushes on US troops, what the insurgents could have done to win the engagement, etc. There are two volumes and they're some of the best informational books a guy could have.

I'm not sure if it's out there to find on the economy or not, but it's worth a search.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 12:12:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I understand the need for map/compass land nav. But is there a problem with using a regular GPS (not a cell phone)from a EM standpoint? They don't transmit anything. GT is wearing one in the video.
View Quote

I don't know, but its a good question.

Personally, I'm a little nervous about any electronic device that has routes and waypoints on it. I don't know what digital forensics can do with a GPS unit, but I don't like the idea of that information becoming known. At least with a folded map and acetate overlays you must orient the map correctly and w/o the  map your SOL.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 12:13:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you mean this

I don't know.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 12:14:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Another good book to have is the Afghan Insurgent TTP Field Guide put out by the Marine Corps Intelligence Activity years ago. It goes deep into insurgent small unit tactics, what worked and what didn't in actual individual ambushes on US troops, what the insurgents could have done to win the engagement, etc. There are two volumes and they're some of the best informational books a guy could have.

I'm not sure if it's out there to find on the economy or not, but it's worth a search.
View Quote
Bear went over the mountain was good as well.

Link Posted: 12/21/2021 12:22:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you mean this

Is this it?

https://info.publicintelligence.net/MCIA-InsurgentTTP.pdf
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 12:30:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lester Grau puts out some good content. The Other Side of the Mountain is the Mujahedeen side of that conflict. He also published a couple books on the Russian & Chechen experiences at Grozny.

Years ago I saw some "lessons learned" documents put out by Al-Qaeda that went into fieldcraft. It was mostly in Arabic so I didn't give it much thought at the time.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 12:47:16 PM EDT
[#35]
- it is thought exercise that is not about the woods, look around you - that's what it's about

- metal on metal sounds can only be made by people

- 1 gallon plastic zip locks are a very good friend to small electronics / maps / socks / etc

- Radios - it is more about the listening, so in an such a circumstance - have a solution for listening to the radio without being loud enough for others to hear it

- base layer applies to bottoms too, gortex pants are loud, wool is warm even when wet, synthetics dry quickly

- Adaptive Field Density Ballistic Cards + Mil Dot Master + a very good understanding of your reticle and load will get you a loooooooong way home and are 100% passive / non electrical. FYI cards for 175 SMKs can be manipulated (based on velocity) for 77's.

- Learn about 'Loop Holes'

- USGS Quad maps - you should have lots of them beginning with where you live and extending out - maps and nav is whole other topic in and of itself

- Get out there, do some of this. You can not just read about / watch it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 12:49:19 PM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you mean this

Is this it?

https://info.publicintelligence.net/MCIA-InsurgentTTP.pdf

I do believe that's Volume 1. Volume 2 is all vignettes and lessons from recent GWOT operations.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 12:51:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Off to search for that one. Thanks for the tip!
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 1:04:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Having done this in the past professionally, yeah if you or others have frequented a place with your phones, you're kinda fooked in that regard.   It's not just that the data exists; there are fast, intuitive tools to provide visualizations of it.

The .gov is already a problem and out of control; we have political prosecutions, political prisoners (held with or without trial), political murders, politicized enforcement of rules, and widespread censorship.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 1:10:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 1:22:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
- it is thought exercise that is not about the woods, look around you - that's what it's about

- metal on metal sounds can only be made by people

- 1 gallon plastic zip locks are a very good friend to small electronics / maps / socks / etc

- Radios - it is more about the listening, so in an such a circumstance - have a solution for listening to the radio without being loud enough for others to hear it

- base layer applies to bottoms too, gortex pants are loud, wool is warm even when wet, synthetics dry quickly

- Adaptive Field Density Ballistic Cards + Mil Dot Master + a very good understanding of your reticle and load will get you a loooooooong way home and are 100% passive / non electrical. FYI cards for 175 SMKs can be manipulated (based on velocity) for 77's.

- Learn about 'Loop Holes'

- USGS Quad maps - you should have lots of them beginning with where you live and extending out - maps and nav is whole other topic in and of itself

- Get out there, do some of this. You can not just read about / watch it.
View Quote

I learned all about loopholes from Sarah Brady. They are readily available at gunshows.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 1:32:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I know that no one has strong feelings about Garand Thumb around here, but his upcoming series on field craft looks like its going to be pretty good & I'm looking forward to it.

Part 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKZdxYMWqzw

Two personal takeaways.  

A - His comment about how ham radios can advertise your position easily.  In another video he mentioned that Baofengs were a favorite of the Taliban, so I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that are really good at finding Baofengs.  That, plus Cuba's jamming 40 meter last summer during their troubles, has made me really think about my radio situation.  I don't have an answer, but I've been thinking about it.

2 - Making sure your gear works together.  I've been backpacking/camping for years & I have several packs that I really like.  I just recently started buying some web gear so that I can participate in Run & Gun matches.  After watching part 1 I wondered if I could wear my TT Mav with a backpack and, sure enough, I had it set up too low & it interfered with the kidney belt.  So if I ever find myself wearing both I'm going to have to adjust the Mav higher.

Part 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA_CGAAeKCo

One personal takeaway.

I'm glad that I've been involved in competitive shooting for as long as I have been.  If I were to camo them, it sounds like my match guns would make ideal recce rifles.  My dad advice for the day; shoot competitively on a regular basis.  You'll buy good gear and you'll be good at using it.
View Quote

Camo should be made based on your areas natural foliage.

Link Posted: 12/21/2021 2:03:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Camo should be made based on your areas natural foliage.

View Quote
Must be a lot of fish net on the wild

Link Posted: 12/21/2021 2:12:37 PM EDT
[#43]

I feel like I'm making my NSA agent work overtime because of all the field manuals I've been downloading.

Sorry guy.  I'll get back to watching Star Wars videos on Youtube soon enough.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 2:22:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I don't know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you mean this

I don't know.

They can be spoofed.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 2:27:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 3:09:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I do believe that's Volume 1. Volume 2 is all vignettes and lessons from recent GWOT operations.
View Quote

Doesn't state it's Volume 2, but sounds like what you were referring.

https://nsarchive2.gwu.edu/NSAEBB/NSAEBB370/docs/Document%205.pdf

"This short book provides an up-to-date introduction to the·tactics employed by insurgents in southern Afghanistan during the years 2005-2008. It includes vignettes and maps on 19 different tactically significant engagements. The book covers three types of attacks: ambushes, attacks on fixed positions, and defensive engagements. The intended audience is Marines and soldiers going into theatre."

Link Posted: 12/21/2021 3:43:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Any idea what chest rig he has on? Its not a Haley by the looks of it.
View Quote

I believe it is the Mayflower he's been using for a few years.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 4:08:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Garand Thumb is stepping it up with these videos.  Parts 1 & 2 are MUST see.  

Thanks for posting OP!
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 4:15:33 PM EDT
[#49]

Holy shit!  That's a lot of knowledge there.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 5:54:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's what I always thought and felt. Like it's passive, it should be good to go. BUT in reading the link the the USMC manual on EMCON. When it went over the different EMCON levels. One of the things listed was, "GPS units, off and batteries removed". I was like oh shit, that little bastard must not be totally passive.... Gulp, good to know.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top