Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -KentuckyWindage-:
Solo Yukon interests me.... 
View Quote

I love it, mesmerizing flame show.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 9:40:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Ordered a Yukon due to this thread. If it actually reduces the smoke it will be worth it and get used a lot
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 9:44:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Researcher:
Ordered a Yukon due to this thread. If it actually reduces the smoke it will be worth it and get used a lot
View Quote

If you use seasoned wood it will definitely get rid of the smoke for you. I’ve lit mine twice so far and it smoked for the first 30 minutes while it was getting a good bed of coals going. For the last three hours I’ve seen absolutely no smoke whatsoever. All I’ve done is feed it wood.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 9:55:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Whats the benefit to the metal ring insert? I've been wanting to build a nice pit soon and see a lot with them. I currently just have a 4ft pit made from various rocks found around my property
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:02:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Ordered a Yukon due to this thread. If it actually reduces the smoke it will be worth it and get used a lot
View Quote

It will, yes burn seasoned wood, and keep the wood below flush of the top.  I've been sitting around fires my entire life and this is amazing.
I like "blocks" of wood, cut firewood short ~ foot long max, and split it to the point that cross section is around "hand size".

Start small with the fire and build it up,  The best thing is it makes an awesome fire without burning a truck load of wood.

I bought a cooking grate I can lay on top and cook steaks, and a little side table I can sit my bourbon on to watch the flames.'

Throw a little copper in for some color highlights sometime.  I empty mine after every fire, to avoid ash build up, I wish it had handles.

It will burn entirely smoke free! Now my guests can leave without the campfire smell.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:04:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By VTJosh:
Whats the benefit to the metal ring insert? I've been wanting to build a nice pit soon and see a lot with them. I currently just have a 4ft pit made from various rocks found around my property
View Quote

I think it is part of the airflow engineering. The thing is like an incinerator, it's all about the afterburner effect.

I just screenshot some of my  SnapChats so I should be able to upload by tomorrow when the cloud catches them.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:06:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I think it is part of the airflow engineering. The thing is like an incinerator, it's all about the afterburner effect.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whats the benefit to the metal ring insert? I've been wanting to build a nice pit soon and see a lot with them. I currently just have a 4ft pit made from various rocks found around my property

I believe he is talking about the black ring most people use on brick pits, mine is purely for looks.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:19:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Not mine , but I plan to duplicate it

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:19:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you use seasoned wood it will definitely get rid of the smoke for you. I've lit mine twice so far and it smoked for the first 30 minutes while it was getting a good bed of coals going. For the last three hours I've seen absolutely no smoke whatsoever. All I've done is feed it wood.O
View Quote
I like the lack of smoke, but how's the heat from it? Do you have to sit super close to it to get warm or will it still throw heat out 2-3 feet?
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:21:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:32:39 PM EDT
[#13]
A friend of mine will cut just about any design you can come up with into steel ring pits.  I'm really happy with mine!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:39:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ThrustMyStoma:
I like the lack of smoke, but how's the heat from it? Do you have to sit super close to it to get warm or will it still throw heat out 2-3 feet?
View Quote

I’ve read the same and had the same concerns before I purchased. I can tell you I’m sitting about 2 feet from it right now and I have to move every 5 minutes or so because my clothes start getting hot.

I think it’s a good balance. It’s not so hot that you can’t sit 5 feet from it without burning up on warmer nights but it’s hot enough that you can get enough heat sitting 2 feet from it on a night like tonight.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:41:10 PM EDT
[#15]
i got the nicolok with the ring  

i like it..
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:49:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I've read the same and had the same concerns before I purchased. I can tell you I'm sitting about 2 feet from it right now and I have to move every 5 minutes or so because my clothes start getting hot.

I think it's a good balance. It's not so hot that you can't sit 5 feet from it without burning up on warmer nights but it's hot enough that you can get enough heat sitting 2 feet from it on a night like tonight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like the lack of smoke, but how's the heat from it? Do you have to sit super close to it to get warm or will it still throw heat out 2-3 feet?

I've read the same and had the same concerns before I purchased. I can tell you I'm sitting about 2 feet from it right now and I have to move every 5 minutes or so because my clothes start getting hot.

I think it's a good balance. It's not so hot that you can't sit 5 feet from it without burning up on warmer nights but it's hot enough that you can get enough heat sitting 2 feet from it on a night like tonight.
Thanks for the feedback. Not knowing how much heat it put out for party guests has kept me from pulling the trigger.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:58:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Attachment Attached File

I scabbed an ATV rim onto an old washing machine drum to make a pedestal. The steel they use in the washer drum holds up remarkably well to combustion. This one has lasted about 7 years now with a healthy patina but no rot at all. Who says the front loaders aren’t worth a damn
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 11:12:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ThrustMyStoma:
Thanks for the feedback. Not knowing how much heat it put out for party guests has kept me from pulling the trigger.
View Quote

I have the bonfire. It’s probably good for I’d say 6 or so people to set around. If you plan to entertain a lot with larger groups, I’d go for the Yukon.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 11:14:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Not sure of your location but I make these in Mid Mo from recycled propane tanks.  About 150lbs, 1/4in thick, made to last.
https://www.ozarkfirekettles.com
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 11:37:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Not mine , but I plan to duplicate it

https://i.postimg.cc/dQdrBTtB/IMG-0613.jpg
View Quote
This is the way I'm leaning. Seems like it would radiate some heat back towards the seating area, like an indoor fireplace.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 11:53:24 PM EDT
[#21]
If you take the commonly available and economical curved concrete pieces that make a 32" circle and add a cheap common brick in between each one it makes a 39" diameter. The perfect fit for a common 36" piece of galvanized.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 12:01:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Simple dry stack

Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:52:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Here are some pics from my Snap chat, don't really do any justice.
I really enjoy this can, for the fire behavior,  sometimes I flint & steel start it.
It get good results using the poker that Solo makes, the fire needs attention.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:08:20 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

Got our Yukon in March. You'll Love it, sucker puts out some heat.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:15:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Our best fire pits was when the NG transmission station I was working at for the summer got a load of excess 36” gas pipe.  We cut out fire pits for the local state parks, and I was able to snag a couple.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:20:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Mech2007:
I have one of these. It's kinda cool.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/137980/61B2C3ABaaL__AC_SY355__jpg-1397818.JPG
View Quote

More sophisticated than my vortex burn barrel.  I followed this guy's recommendations:
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:30:48 AM EDT
[#27]
SoloStove was very much worth it. Not a lot of smoke and cleanup.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:49:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Built this couple days ago.   36" ring inside 48" ring. 12 60lb bags redimix.  2 eyebolts to move with tractor.  $200.00. 800lbs.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:32:34 AM EDT
[#29]
For those that have the Solo. What would you recommend for a 12x2 paver patio? The Bonfire or Yukon?  I torn between the two. I’d like to hear some opinions please.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:53:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

I built this a few years ago at work for about $4 in scrap steel.

Oh, and the top pics are oriented correctly on my phone.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 11:14:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
For those that have the Solo. What would you recommend for a 12x2 paver patio? The Bonfire or Yukon?  I torn between the two. I'd like to hear some opinions please.
View Quote
I have the Bonfire, and I'm still torn.  
Not really.  The Bonfire has a 17.5 inch opening, weighs 20 lbs empty, and costs $299 with no coupon.  This size means 18" wood has to be propped on an edge until it shrinks enough to get it down inside.  Most wood is cut to 16 - 18 inches.  so some fits right away, some needs to be propped for a bit.  The weight makes it really easy to move around, even when filled with ash, or even wood if needed.  The cost is the cost.
The Yukon is a big step up in size, weight, and price.  It has a 26" opening, which is a huge jump.  Personally, I'd like something like a 20" opening.  It weighs 45 pounds empty, again a huge jump.  The cost right now is $544.99, another huge jump.

For me, the Bonfire just makes more sense.  I want to be able to move it easily, and I'll put up with some logs just being a bit too long until they shrink a bit from burning.  If you aren't going to move it very often, and you want it to burn anything and everything without propping on an edge, and feel like the cost increase is justifiable, you may want the Yukon.  Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By pagoda:
I have the Bonfire, and I'm still torn.  
Not really.  The Bonfire has a 17.5 inch opening, weighs 20 lbs empty, and costs $299 with no coupon.  This size means 18" wood has to be propped on an edge until it shrinks enough to get it down inside.  Most wood is cut to 16 - 18 inches.  so some fits right away, some needs to be propped for a bit.  The weight makes it really easy to move around, even when filled with ash, or even wood if needed.  The cost is the cost.
The Yukon is a big step up in size, weight, and price.  It has a 26" opening, which is a huge jump.  Personally, I'd like something like a 20" opening.  It weighs 45 pounds empty, again a huge jump.  The cost right now is $544.99, another huge jump.

For me, the Bonfire just makes more sense.  I want to be able to move it easily, and I'll put up with some logs just being a bit too long until they shrink a bit from burning.  If you aren't going to move it very often, and you want it to burn anything and everything without propping on an edge, and feel like the cost increase is justifiable, you may want the Yukon.  Hope that helps.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By pagoda:
Originally Posted By vinnie935:
For those that have the Solo. What would you recommend for a 12x2 paver patio? The Bonfire or Yukon?  I torn between the two. I'd like to hear some opinions please.
I have the Bonfire, and I'm still torn.  
Not really.  The Bonfire has a 17.5 inch opening, weighs 20 lbs empty, and costs $299 with no coupon.  This size means 18" wood has to be propped on an edge until it shrinks enough to get it down inside.  Most wood is cut to 16 - 18 inches.  so some fits right away, some needs to be propped for a bit.  The weight makes it really easy to move around, even when filled with ash, or even wood if needed.  The cost is the cost.
The Yukon is a big step up in size, weight, and price.  It has a 26" opening, which is a huge jump.  Personally, I'd like something like a 20" opening.  It weighs 45 pounds empty, again a huge jump.  The cost right now is $544.99, another huge jump.

For me, the Bonfire just makes more sense.  I want to be able to move it easily, and I'll put up with some logs just being a bit too long until they shrink a bit from burning.  If you aren't going to move it very often, and you want it to burn anything and everything without propping on an edge, and feel like the cost increase is justifiable, you may want the Yukon.  Hope that helps.

I'm assuming you mean 12' square patio, I think the smaller one, I have the bigger one, but sit in the middle of 20 acres.  

Assuming you park the stove in the center of the patio, Doing the math, half of 12 feet is six feet, lose a foot and a half to the stove radius, you are left with  4.5 feet to park a chair,  Tight?

I assume the smaller stove gives the same burning characteristics albeit down scaled a bit, think smaller wood.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 5:03:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks Pagoda and StromBusa. I did mean 12x12. I think I’ll take your advice and look at the Bonfire. After measuring I think the smaller would be best.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 5:43:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By bondo:
Not mine , but I plan to duplicate it

https://i.postimg.cc/dQdrBTtB/IMG-0613.jpg
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#35]

now your talking!!!!
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 5:26:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Bassman2:
arfcom trying to get me to spend money again..... damn solo stove. don't need one, but now I want one.
View Quote

Yup. About to hit “click” on one.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 5:57:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Mach:
This is the one I built

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/98989/fire_pit_JPG-1397981.JPG
View Quote

KISS and effective. I like.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 10:30:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Blue_Monkey:

Yup. About to hit “click” on one.
View All Quotes
arfcom trying to get me to spend money again..... damn solo stove. don't need one, but now I want one.

I’m very pleased with mine. I bought it thinking “eh, what the hell! 30 day money back guarantee. I’ll send the bastard back if it don’t live up to the hype.”
It’s not going anywhere.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 10:36:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Tango-22:
The solo says nearly smokeless. This is a plus. The wife always complains about the smoke smell you get on you and in your clothes from a night outside.
View Quote

That’s when we shower together. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 10:55:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 11:03:18 PM EDT
[#41]
From this evening.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 11:14:03 PM EDT
[#42]
My good friend welded mine up as a surprise.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 11:25:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 11:26:44 PM EDT
[#44]
@Prossound   you got your big bobber cut yet?
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 4:48:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Been watching this thread... I'm thinking about the solo stove bon fire....
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 12:01:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Sat around the still unfinished covered firepit in the pouring rain last night . It was quite nice
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 12:15:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Nothing fancy.  Tractor wheel is about half buried into the ground.  Field stone from around my property and a bag of two of ready mix.  Wheel is about 36" in diameter.  Total cost?  A bag or two of ready mix and a can of high temp paint.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 12:55:22 AM EDT
[#50]

I’m very pleased with mine. I bought it thinking “eh, what the hell! 30 day money back guarantee. I’ll send the bastard back if it don’t live up to the hype.”
It’s not going anywhere.
View All Quotes

I’m very pleased with mine. I bought it thinking “eh, what the hell! 30 day money back guarantee. I’ll send the bastard back if it don’t live up to the hype.”
It’s not going anywhere.

Well, that “click” was a lot easier than building a pit but was a “tad”more expensive. Hope I made the right choice. Damn you ARFCOM!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top