Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:12:37 AM EDT
[#1]
They are junk.
Lots of problems with the converters and fuel pumps already.

They will not hold up to Police duty anywhere near what the Crown Vic did.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:12:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What next, minivans?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What next, minivans?

Nah, minivans aren't fast enough.

You just know that SUV is fast as fuck because the paint gets all blown backwards like...

POLICE  <wooshing sounds>
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:12:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I didnt know anyone still used gumball machine lights
View Quote
I'm glad they do. I think it's kinda cool.

Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:16:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I like what our Florida boys are driving. I just hope I don't meet one under unfortunate circumstances.

<a href="http://s756.photobucket.com/user/vanvideo/media/arfcom%20stuff/fhp_zps5ee08922.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/vanvideo/arfcom%20stuff/fhp_zps5ee08922.jpg</a>
View Quote

I had a Tropper tell Me that there is some issue with the A/C blower motor and it has RF interference with His radio.
He said that if He is on a call and radio dispatch or other officer He has to have the A/C off to talk and sweat His ass off.
When He does not need the radio He can turn it back on.
Dodge refused to fix the issue since it is not a Dodge radio unit installed.

This was on more than one Car.  
Not to mention with the radio and camera gear in the trunk the Dodge is VERY small interior and trunk space.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:17:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I just have to put up with these....
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:17:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Last time I was one of those was 15 years ago in east Texas.  

88 in a 55.    

Got a warning.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:18:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

https://farm7.staticflickr.com/6118/6247295104_b0a4fbdb2c_z.jpg
View Quote
That two tone is pretty classy.

Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:19:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I had a Tropper tell Me that there is some issue with the A/C blower motor and it has RF interference with His radio.

He said that if He is on a call and radio dispatch or other officer He has to have the A/C off to talk and sweat His ass off.

Not to mention with the radio and camera gear in the trunk the Dodge is VERY small interior and trunk space.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I like what our Florida boys are driving. I just hope I don't meet one under unfortunate circumstances.

<a href="http://s756.photobucket.com/user/vanvideo/media/arfcom%20stuff/fhp_zps5ee08922.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/vanvideo/arfcom%20stuff/fhp_zps5ee08922.jpg</a>

Local Deputy was telling me that when he turned to the right the radio volume would go up, and then when he would straighten out the wheel the radio would change frequencies in his Charger.

Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:31:43 AM EDT
[#9]

They almost have enough lights on that thing..

And sorry MSP, but the gumball lights just look stupid on a modern car.  The little sign on the hood is even worse.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:33:55 AM EDT
[#10]
The "Pushbars" are pretty much useless, just remove the damn things and save the taxpayer the money and the mechanics, their backs. The rest I like.

They look like rotten ass too, you could stick a winch mount between the bumper and the front of it. They are far to large for what they really are, my Warn winch mount doesn't stick out that far and it actually has purpose.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:35:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Says the guy who wears bell-bottoms.

Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:35:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

And sorry MSP, but the gumball lights just look stupid on a modern car.  The little sign on the hood is even worse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Tradition doesn't care about aesthetics.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:37:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Those are fucking awful.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:37:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The "Pushbars" are pretty much useless, just remove the damn things and save the taxpayer the money and the mechanics, their backs. The rest I like.
View Quote

The Ohio State Highway Patrol doesn't have pushbars.
Just a couple days ago we had to push a car for 'em.
It seems to me that pushbars on a *highway* patrol vehicle could be useful from time to time.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:45:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It seems to me that pushbars on a *highway* patrol vehicle could be useful from time to time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think those "pushbars" are actually rated to push anything. There isn't  really anything substantial to mount them to that will stand up to repeated use.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:49:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Was hoping for something more like:

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view2/4422554/mad-max-ending-o.gif
View Quote

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought that...
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:49:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's how you know I'm right.

Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:52:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

no shit. and what is up with that sign on the hood
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a nod to tradition, too.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:55:35 AM EDT
[#19]
I like them.  I think most police/state patrol cars should have sirens just like that.

1.  Because the siren/lights are easily visible to other nearby drivers within a certain radius of the police car (the safe driver "halo") they will go the speed limit, use their blinkers, and not drive like tailgating a-holes.

2.  This creates a much safer driving environment along the highway, which can create a ripple-like effect of safe driving behind the "halo" (cars behind the halo will have to slow down)

3.  Having easily visible, well-marked police cars aligns very well with the mission statement "to protect and serve."  Creates a visible presence in the neighborhood.  They look more "friendly" than the unmarked, bullet-proof, stealth vehicles.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:58:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's on the radio installer, not Dodge.  There are ways to prevent the problem.  Any reputable Public Safety Radio shop would never have let them go out the door like that.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 9:00:26 AM EDT
[#21]
need a pic of that sheriff from "live and let die" james bond....
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 9:00:27 AM EDT
[#22]
gumball lights LOL
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 9:01:26 AM EDT
[#23]
The SHO model is very fun to drive, we test drove one before buying our Audi.

The MSP bubblegum light and front "STOP" sign are almost TOO retro now.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 9:03:09 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a problem in Middleburg, not with Dodge.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 9:04:02 AM EDT
[#25]
That is the silliest looking police car I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 9:04:07 AM EDT
[#26]
The Crown Vic's departure left a gaping hole in the market.

Alaska State Trooper are running some Tauruses, they look ok. The eco-boost model is not pursuit rated, so I doubt MSP's uniforms are eco-boost. I loved the gumball when I lived in MI, works better than any radar detector.

The Chevy Caprice is also a cramped miserable p.o.s. to get in and out of, and so far harmonic balancers are disenegrating at 10k mi like clockwork, undetected it's wiping out cooling fans and radiators, no other major issues yet I know of. It's wicked fast with the 6.0, and likes to oversteer so its very fun to drive. There's a rumor of column shifters coming out so that might free up the interior some.

The Charger is junk, we have only a few and we've lost several camshafts, the highest mileage is less than 40k mi and they've all had the front ends rebuilt atleast once, the brakes are good for about 15k mi, and a couple have experienced mysterious transmission issues that so far the dealer cannot fix. And any auto trans car that doesn't come with a trans dipstick should not be purchased, that's the biggest red flag I've ever seen in a vehicle.

Push bars are not for ramming down walls, or trees, but they do work for pushing disabled cars, and are generally cheaper to replace than have body work done in minor accidents, deer strikes and the like. We don't run them, but the local sheriffs do, knowing a county mechanic and what he says I'd say they're worth it, if the majority of the officers are decent drivers, ours are not, I suspect for our department they would contribute to structural damage innstead of preventing asthetic damage.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 9:12:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Was talking about the new fords with a PA state trooper friend the other day and he mentioned that they're nice, but all of the left handed troopers hate them. Apparently the space on the left between the door panel and seat is such that the left handed shooters can't draw from a seated position with the door closed. No clue if it's true or not, but he said that he and the other lefties are still driving the vics for this one reason.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 9:15:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The light makes me think of this...

http://youtu.be/wND357avYJk
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/20/2013 9:23:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 9:27:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 9:49:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Was talking about the new fords with a PA state trooper friend the other day and he mentioned that they're nice, but all of the left handed troopers hate them. Apparently the space on the left between the door panel and seat is such that the left handed shooters can't draw from a seated position with the door closed. No clue if it's true or not, but he said that he and the other lefties are still driving the vics for this one reason.
View Quote

Noticed the other day that there are now a few PASP Expeditions running around our county.  Wonder if they are being used for officers who need more room on the left side?
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 10:00:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Noticed the other day that there are now a few PASP Expeditions running around our county.  Wonder if they are being used for officers who need more room on the left side?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure, I'll ask him if I see him at the gym tonight. I've been seeing the new PSP Tauruses and Explorers all over the place recently...The Taurus paint scheme is much different than the Vics and is very low key, so identifying them will be a pain until I get adjusted.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 10:16:52 AM EDT
[#33]
This is what the village my father policed for 30 years is driving now

First thing I thought was that show Pimp my ride

Link Posted: 9/20/2013 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I would hate to drive one of these instead of the Hemi Charger
View Quote

I've driven the Charger patrol cars. It has to be better than the Charger, because the Charger is a horrible patrol car.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 10:24:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The Charger is junk, we have only a few and we've lost several camshafts, the highest mileage is less than 40k mi and they've all had the front ends rebuilt atleast once, the brakes are good for about 15k mi, and a couple have experienced mysterious transmission issues ....
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 10:29:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
they are LED gumballs, just a hommage type thing
View Quote

Do they have the mind-dazzling epiletic-seizure setting that the LED bar lights use?
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 10:33:00 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Do they have the mind-dazzling epiletic-seizure setting that the LED bar lights use?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

they are LED gumballs, just a hommage type thing

3:50 into the vid gets you a good look at the LED.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdPe9EJQujE

Link Posted: 9/20/2013 10:37:34 AM EDT
[#38]
God's Special People can't decide on a paint scheme.

Link Posted: 9/20/2013 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

They look like rotten ass too, you could stick a winch mount between the bumper and the front of it. They are far to large for what they really are, my Warn winch mount doesn't stick out that far and it actually has purpose.
View Quote

Are you kidding?  As a taxpayer I love that shit - gumball machines, pushbars, a 50lb spotlight assembly on the side?  Make those cars stand out on the highway!  That gay ass sign on the hood is excellent.  I am going to write my reps and demand that here.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 10:43:32 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm sitting about 3/4 of a mile from where that pic was taken, right now. Let me answer a few of the questions for you.

The answer to most of them is TRADITION. As in, pride in your past. A nod to your heritage.

The "gumball" light and the hood mounted Side Stop light are both cherished bits of hardware form our long history (we're approaching our 100th anniversary!).
You can read more about it on WIKI:
History of the MSP

We employ vehicles from many auto makers (all US, for obvious reasons .....except motorcycles. We now have a mix of Harleys and BMWs...)
We are just now rolling out the Tarus' (WHY, GOD, WHY?!??!)
We also just introduced the Explorer shown in the previously posted pic (in our blue livery , of course).
Our primary vehicles are Dodge Chargers, Chevy Tahoe's and quite a few Crown Vics still in service.
There are also a few Suburbans and if you want to really have your mind blown we technically have a bunch of soccer mom vans, tiny Chrysler 200s, Ford focuses and assorted miscellaneous vehicles as "investigative" vehicles.

FUN FACT: MSP is world renowned for our vehicle testing. Agencies from around the world rely on the dat we generate from our vigorous and comprehensive testing (I'm typing this about 200 yards from the test track, BTW).
While we will no longer be producing hardbound printed books of the results, you can now view them online:
MSP Vehicle Testing Reports

Hope that clarifies things for you.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 10:43:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Its an MSP thing. So gay.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its an MSP thing. So gay.

What is wrong with tradition?

Those lights and stop bar on the hood have been around forever.

The stop bars on the hood used to light up when they pulled up next to you to get you to pull over.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 10:46:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 10:49:18 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
The photos work, but somebody didn't test their links, FAIL!
The link you specified, http, doesn't lead anywhere.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The photos work, but somebody didn't test their links, FAIL!
The link you specified, http, doesn't lead anywhere.

I did that on purpose.
There is a weird thing on flickr, if I copy the link and pics over, they turn into emails to the page owner, and I wanted to avoid that.
Anyway, here is the page the pics come from.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31085415@N03/

Link Posted: 9/20/2013 10:49:54 AM EDT
[#44]
That's cause they are trying to trick you using their magic "stealth" cars.................

Link Posted: 9/20/2013 10:50:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Gumballs!  
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 10:50:35 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

MI keeps it retro.

They're classy like that.

Link Posted: 9/20/2013 10:53:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
https://farm7.staticflickr.com/6118/6247295104_b0a4fbdb2c_z.jpg
View Quote

brake eating sum bitches

Link Posted: 9/20/2013 10:56:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
That's cause they are trying to trick you using their magic "stealth" cars.................

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The black ones especially piss me off, hiding in the medians on 96 & and I75/85 at night...
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 10:57:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Are you kidding?  As a taxpayer I love that shit - gumball machines, pushbars, a 50lb spotlight assembly on the side?  Make those cars stand out on the highway!  That gay ass sign on the hood is excellent.  I am going to write my reps and demand that here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll give props to the MSP in that most of them have much better things to do then find hide spots and play Mr Laser. If they catch you, it probably because you are a real idiot who pays no attention to anything around you when driving.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 10:57:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Yep..........they work great at night..........they are all over I-20 EB as well during the late evening

Quoted:

The black ones especially piss me off, hiding in the medians on 96 & and I75/85 at night...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top