Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oh I'm sending that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Might I suggest a new tattoo to commemorate the occasion?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/72701/download__1__jpeg-2398598.JPG

Oh I'm sending that.

I hope she gets a good laugh out of it, and we need a follow-up thread if she does get a tattoo!
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:14:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Knowing this guy, it was a jury rigged old mower. I can try to get more details of exactly why the mower continued to attack, but he basically lives in a junk yard and "makes" shit all the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still running or just freewheeling?
Really old mower or somebody overrode the dead man switch?

Knowing this guy, it was a jury rigged old mower. I can try to get more details of exactly why the mower continued to attack, but he basically lives in a junk yard and "makes" shit all the time.

Or was it...

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:16:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Man!!!  I'm VERY glad the injuries weren't worse, though they're still pretty bad.  I hope she heals up quickly.  I wonder how much the loss of the big toe will effect her walking.  

I use an old push mower to do the angled front lawn at my Moms place, and always am wary as I push it uphill on a couple of spots to go around a couple of trees, and to stand behind it to do the edge of the yard at the ditch.  The older neighbors used to come and use their riders to do the lawn for mom when she wasn't able to do it anymore with her push mower, but they were not crazy about the angle of the yard, and said they felt like they were going to topple their riders off in to the ditch and stopped doing it.  I never mow when the grass is even a little damp, as I've slipped before on wet grass (thankfully not while mowing) and your feet go out from under you quickly.  

I think it's time for me to get a good rechargeable weed eater to do the ditch edge and around the trees and cut back on the unsafe practices.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:16:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't get the meme. Yellow nail polish for safety flag?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:17:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
And some of y’all were suggesting my 7 y/o mow the lawn
View Quote

Do you or your 7 y/o have a habit of disabling or bypassing safety devices on equipment with rotating blades?

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:17:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

In fairness, with proper steel toes shoes, a modern kill switch, and a little training instructing - all on flat ground, had likely be OK.

There Is a reason this lever is here:

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:17:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't get the meme. Yellow nail polish for safety flag?
View Quote

I don't either really but it is supposedly really funny to her. Again, could be the drugs.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:22:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Was this a riding mower? Almost all push mowers have a dead man throttle lever that kills the motor if you let go.
View Quote

I'll take "what happens when you tie down the Deadman lever?" For $500, Alex.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:25:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Goddamn
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:26:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Going to the bathroom after a serious butt cheek injury must really be painful..first you have to sit on it, then use those muscles to excrete urine or feces, then hurt it again when you have to wipe it clean...    And all the time you will know that you will have to endure that same pain several more times that day.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:27:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I suppose flip flops are off the table from here on out.

Dang, that sucks. I assume toe was chopped up? Or otherwise not salvageable?
View Quote

They're on the table because they won't stay on her foot.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:27:58 AM EDT
[#12]
No need to worry about gout. At least on that toe.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#13]
See they his why I only mow and weedwack barefoot....them fucking flip flops will get you ever time.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:29:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They're on the table because they won't stay on her foot.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Wasn't just the big toe. But the entire first "Knuckle" on the foot
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:31:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
damn that sucks. How did this happen?
View Quote

I'm guessing sheer stupidity using some jury rigged mower with no cut off safety switches.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:31:58 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't think anything other than steel toed boots would have protected any better. Most people wear tennis shoes at most when mowing. I'll continue to wear chacos while doing yard work.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:32:49 AM EDT
[#18]
I know someone who kicked the grass plug on the side chute while the mower was running, and is a toe or two short now.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:36:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Don't push your mower up hill, ever.
View Quote

Down hill can be pretty bad too
Either holding it back as you walk in front of it or walk behind
You slip and the mower run into you, or slip and your foot slides under the deck
There’s a chance you don’t let go of the dead man grip clutch to lock up the blade, or it just doesn’t shut down that fast

And it’s not just crocks, but any smooth soled shoe. Really anything short of golf spikes and even then
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:40:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Old school powered reel mower, maybe? I always get a little nervous watching the reel whirl around on our old Cal Trimmer. Now I really will be

Glad she’s okay otherwise though!
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:40:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't think anything other than steel toed boots would have protected any better. Most people wear tennis shoes at most when mowing. I'll continue to wear chacos while doing yard work.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure the integral safety features designed into the mower could have prevented the accident completely, had they not been removed, bypassed, or disabled.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:40:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Man!!!  I'm VERY glad the injuries weren't worse, though they're still pretty bad.  I hope she heals up quickly.  I wonder how much the loss of the big toe will effect her walking.  

I use an old push mower to do the angled front lawn at my Moms place, and always am wary as I push it uphill on a couple of spots to go around a couple of trees, and to stand behind it to do the edge of the yard at the ditch.  The older neighbors used to come and use their riders to do the lawn for mom when she wasn't able to do it anymore with her push mower, but they were not crazy about the angle of the yard, and said they felt like they were going to topple their riders off in to the ditch and stopped doing it.  I never mow when the grass is even a little damp, as I've slipped before on wet grass (thankfully not while mowing) and your feet go out from under you quickly.  

I think it's time for me to get a good rechargeable weed eater to do the ditch edge and around the trees and cut back on the unsafe practices.
View Quote

I almost broke my big toe in college in a bike accident.  It hurt like hell to walk on but not using it made walking difficult.  That big toe does a lot for stability
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:42:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Going to the bathroom after a serious butt cheek injury must really be painful..first you have to sit on it, then use those muscles to excrete urine or feces, then hurt it again when you have to wipe it clean...    And all the time you will know that you will have to endure that same pain several more times that day.
View Quote

And you may not be “level”
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:44:54 AM EDT
[#24]
20 years ago, when I was young and stupid (er), I removed the safety switches from my riding lawn mower so that I could get off the seat while it was still running, and mow in reverse.  I also had a fairly steep Hill on the side of my house. It was about 5 ft high and maybe 10 ft wide, and a very significant incline that you had to basically get up on the seat corner and lean all the way to the side so the mower wouldn't roll. When I mowed, every time I moved my butt on the seat to lean, the mower would try to shut off. So, I fixed that by disconnecting the safety feature.

Then, when the lawn mower did roll over on that hill, I saw my life flashing before my eyes. I realized in that instant it was not going to shut off. I just held on to the lawn mower and wrapped my legs tightly around the sides and the mower ended up rolling over with me attached to it. It hurt, but I didn't break anything and I was able to turn off the mower. I was very very fortunate not to lose any body parts in that incident.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:45:24 AM EDT
[#25]
I am a pussy. I wear PPE when mowing.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:49:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Don't push your mower up hill, ever.
View Quote

Or pull your mower back up a hill in damp grass.
Thank god I was still wearing my steel toe work boots. Took the leather hide right off that shiny steel.
Boot did its job that day.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:52:32 AM EDT
[#27]
I haven’t ever seen my foot minus the big toe but holy shit that’s a long second toe!  How did that thing get spared?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:53:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

In fairness, with proper steel toes shoes, a modern kill switch, and a little training instructing - all on flat ground, had likely be OK.

https://mowdirect.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/article_attachments/200519648/Effco48tkdx_1_.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://mowdirect.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/article_attachments/200519648/Effco48tkdx_1_.jpg

Might be overkill but my "work around the property" boots are steel toe. I wear them to mow too.

I haven't dropped anything on my feet that would have messed them up bad, but they've saved me from "Ow! Fuck!" plenty of times.

I have also left the kill switch in the seat of my zero turn functional.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:01:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Damn
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:02:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

why not just move laterally?
View Quote

I think SHE was tumbling. I have a text out for more info.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:05:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A lot of riding mowers have switches under the seat that kill the engine if you're not sitting in the seat or you fall or get thrown off.
View Quote

My dad always unplugged those.
After he died, I reactivated the safeties and showed mom how to turn the ignition to the 'let me back up without killing the engine' setting so she could go back and forth when finishing up.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:06:48 AM EDT
[#32]
What the hell was the mower doing in the kitchen??
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:07:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe they assumed your lawn was flat and level. But even then, running backwards and falling would be a not good thing that many 7 year olds might do.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:08:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:09:42 AM EDT
[#35]
My neighbor was riding his mower with his grandson on his lap. Somehow the kid fell off and went under the blades. Lost a leg and his genitals.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:10:24 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm glad she is in good spirits, but limping for life is going to suck.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:12:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
20 years ago, when I was young and stupid (er), I removed the safety switches from my riding lawn mower so that I could get off the seat while it was still running, and mow in reverse.  I also had a fairly steep Hill on the side of my house. It was about 5 ft high and maybe 10 ft wide, and a very significant incline that you had to basically get up on the seat corner and lean all the way to the side so the mower wouldn't roll. When I mowed, every time I moved my butt on the seat to lean, the mower would try to shut off. So, I fixed that by disconnecting the safety feature.

Then, when the lawn mower did roll over on that hill, I saw my life flashing before my eyes. I realized in that instant it was not going to shut off. I just held on to the lawn mower and wrapped my legs tightly around the sides and the mower ended up rolling over with me attached to it. It hurt, but I didn't break anything and I was able to turn off the mower. I was very very fortunate not to lose any body parts in that incident.
View Quote

My mom has a walkout basement.
I don't let her mow it, and when I mow it, I drive straight down into the walkout, drive out the walkout, drive back to the top of the hill, and drive straight down it again. It takes a while, but it's steep enough I don't want to drive up it and refuse to drive across it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:21:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I’m trying to figure out how to chop off a toe AND your buttcheek?

I need the logistics on this.
View Quote

Early in my EMT days, we had a call for a man involved in a mower accident.  He rolled the mower on a ditch bank.  He had a concussion, deep wounds on his arm, leg, stomach and part of a foot missing.  Shit happens in accidents.  BTW: this man lived with some very memorable scars.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:23:59 AM EDT
[#39]
When I was in 5th grade, one of my classmates' dad was Dr/plastic surgeon.  Our school did the whole "bring your parent to school so they can tell you about their job" thing, and he had pictures up of people that had various accidents and how he fixed them up.  I'll never forget the picture of the guy that ran over the top of his foot with the mower, for some reason that just stuck with me.  I believe the dad said the person depicted was wearing sandals while mowing, and that was the Dr's advice to all of us- not to ever wear sandals while mowing.  I've taken that advice and have always worn boots while mowing, along some eye pro, gloves, ear pro.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:26:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Daaammn. She lose a chunk of butt meat completely or just catch a sword chop to it?  Anyone find the toe?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:28:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Apparently it was a tumble down the hill and mower chasing her type of thing. Hit her a couple three time while still running.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
damn that sucks. How did this happen?

Quoted:
What happened to her butt?

This happened to my grandpa. Was drinkin and mowing. He was pulling it back, tripped and fell and pulled the mower on his toe. His butt was in tack though.

Quoted:
I'm trying to figure out how to chop off a toe AND your buttcheek?

I need the logistics on this.

Apparently it was a tumble down the hill and mower chasing her type of thing. Hit her a couple three time while still running.

Damn, just God damn.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:30:24 AM EDT
[#42]

Amputation is one way to lighten up, I guess...

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:31:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Trust a woman to half-ass a common household chore.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:31:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Daaammn. She lose a chunk of butt meat completely or just catch a sword chop to it?  Anyone find the toe?
View Quote

He says a chunk of butt meat. Won't give me the pics.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:35:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Man that sucks
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:37:03 AM EDT
[#46]
At least she did not listen to the Walrus and mow the lawn in underwear.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:37:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Based on experiences of my extended family, here are what could be contributing factors to this sort of shenanigans:

1. Improper footwear

2. Alcohol

3. Safety system(s) disabled, I.e. Deadman Switch

4. Incline

6. Wet, slippery grass

So OP has confirmed #1, how many more apply?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:37:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Ouch
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:38:23 AM EDT
[#49]
The kid across the street from me did this a few years ago.

Mowing uphill wearing sandals.  He slipped and fell back.  He held on to the lawnmower to try to catch himself and pulled it onto his foot.  He would have been better off letting go and falling.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Trust a woman to half-ass a common household chore.
View Quote

You should feel bad for making me laugh that hard.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top