Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:40:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Based on experiences of my extended family, here are what could be contributing factors to this sort of shenanigans:

1. Improper footwear

2. Alcohol

3. Safety system(s) disabled, I.e. Deadman Switch

4. Incline

6. Wet, slippery grass

So OP has confirmed #1, how many more apply?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Based on experiences of my extended family, here are what could be contributing factors to this sort of shenanigans:

1. Improper footwear

2. Alcohol

3. Safety system(s) disabled, I.e. Deadman Switch

4. Incline

6. Wet, slippery grass

So OP has confirmed #1, how many more apply?

#3 is suspected, but I don't believe we have confirmation yet.

Quoted:

Knowing this guy, it was a jury rigged old mower. I can try to get more details of exactly why the mower continued to attack, but he basically lives in a junk yard and "makes" shit all the time.

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:40:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
 I've taken that advice and have always worn boots while mowing, along some eye pro, gloves, ear pro.
View Quote

I have trees.
I should probably prune the bottom 6', but I don't.
I'll mow under them, driving straight through the canopy, with eye pro and ear pro.

Like this:
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:42:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
And some of y’all were suggesting my 7 y/o mow the lawn
View Quote

7 is young to run a mower IMHO.  My Dad had me out mowing around 11 or 12.  But the mower was in good working order, I had to wear solid boots and I could only mow the goat areas of the yard and mow dry grass.  Of course 90% of our property we mowed was flat, so I pretty much mowed it all.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn....that sux. That had to hurt.  My mower dies when I let go.  I mow in Crocs, just like I hunt in Crocs.  Maybe I need to wear hunting boots?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:42:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow, that will seriously fuck up how you walk.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:43:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a coworker and friend who at 14, reached into the PTO of a tractor and lost half of two fingers. He used to like to leave me drawings on the backs of paperwork because his hand freaked me out.

And text me shit like this.

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:48:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My neighbor was riding his mower with his grandson on his lap. Somehow the kid fell off and went under the blades. Lost a leg and his genitals.
View Quote

Every time I see that I want to punch the "adult" in the face.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:52:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a coworker and friend who at 14, reached into the PTO of a tractor and lost half of two fingers. He used to like to leave me drawings on the backs of paperwork because his hand freaked me out.

https://i.postimg.cc/fWYP8PfV/10710887-10204590037732068-2002773584789030344-n.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Rh1bq3Z7/10968411-10205705762704495-8426226053920396884-n.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:52:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Let's do a little maths.  Average mower is 21" blade @ 3600rpm = 330 feet per sec of sharp blade whacking into the foot.  It's also 120 blade passes per second.

I'm not sure even steel toe boots will keep the toes attached!

Ouch.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:53:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

https://i.postimg.cc/fWYP8PfV/10710887-10204590037732068-2002773584789030344-n.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Rh1bq3Z7/10968411-10205705762704495-8426226053920396884-n.jpg
View Quote

Gotta tell him he's doing "rock-on" wrong.

Hoping for a speedy recovery
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:58:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

In fairness, with proper steel toes shoes, a modern kill switch, and a little training instructing - all on flat ground, had likely be OK.

There Is a reason this lever is here:

https://mowdirect.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/article_attachments/200519648/Effco48tkdx_1_.jpg
View Quote

Had it happen back in the late 90s. Wet grass (should have been smarter). Slipped, before I could go oh f--k and push away and let go of it, it beat the hell out of my foot. Keep in mind that I had on older style steel toe boots with the steel in the sole as well.

After several hours in the ER, no broken skin or bones. From what I remember the ER Doc saying  it basically tenderized the meat on my foot. The swelling and my foot turning different colors of black and later blue. Took a week or so to be able not to use crutches. I think I was lucky to have as little harm as I did.

0/10 I do not recommend the experience.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:59:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Mower as in small rider with a 10 HP B&S or mower as in brush hog on a 3 point hitch?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:59:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Wow wow wow. I don't know how she's still alive. Very lucky. He replied that it was a rider (safeties disabled ) that rolled after her down a hill. How it got her butt, he says, "is a mystery to us, we're just glad that's all it was."

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:01:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Early in my EMT days, we had a call for a man involved in a mower accident.  He rolled the mower on a ditch bank.  He had a concussion, deep wounds on his arm, leg, stomach and part of a foot missing.  Shit happens in accidents.  BTW: this man lived with some very memorable scars.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’m trying to figure out how to chop off a toe AND your buttcheek?

I need the logistics on this.

Early in my EMT days, we had a call for a man involved in a mower accident.  He rolled the mower on a ditch bank.  He had a concussion, deep wounds on his arm, leg, stomach and part of a foot missing.  Shit happens in accidents.  BTW: this man lived with some very memorable scars.

Thats crazy.

Also regarding proper footwear.

I learned to wear close toe shoes after having an Injury where they saved my ass in a sense

Especially while weight lifting. Some guys go bare foot for squats,deadlifts, etc.

I decided to treat myself and buy an excellent pair of wrestling/boxing shoes since that was closest to being bare foot. I was doing a super set, was warn out, hands sweaty, etc. At the time I was easily just slinging 45lb plates around. Well I was tired, fatigued, or maybe just careless that day. The plate slipped out of my hand and bounced off of my big toe. I managed to get my shit and just drive home. I was thinking that I just bruised the bone.

The X-Ray showed the bone cracked entirely in half. where am i going with this?

I fucking bet if I was indeed barefoot or in socks that day, my toe probably would of separated from my foot.

I still have those shoes and its insane how well they held up.

Now one big toe is bigger than the other :(

That fucking 45lb got me Looney Toons style.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:03:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

At my old job, I gave the Sgt shit because he'd always point to things with his middle finger.
"You giving me the bird Sarge?"

He told me the story and I felt like a dick. Apparently a Pitbull attacked him on duty, and bit his finger off/swallowed it. He managed to retrieve it and get it sewn back on but I think he had a lot of nerve damage after the fact. Though I don't want to imagine what they did to get that finger back.

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:04:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Apparently it was a tumble down the hill and mower chasing her type of thing. Hit her a couple three time while still running.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
damn that sucks. How did this happen?

Quoted:
What happened to her butt?

This happened to my grandpa. Was drinkin and mowing. He was pulling it back, tripped and fell and pulled the mower on his toe. His butt was in tack though.

Quoted:
I'm trying to figure out how to chop off a toe AND your buttcheek?

Apparently it was a tumble down the hill and mower chasing her type of thing. Hit her a couple three time while still running.

Shouldn’t the mower have some sort of safety shutoff/deadman type feature?

I work with a guy who was mowing with a walk behind mower while wearing flip flops. He was going up a decent incline when he slipped, fell backwards and pulled the mower over his feet. Lost a few toes. I always keep that in mind and try not to get complacent when mowing.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:05:32 PM EDT
[#17]
She needs a “went to market”
Tattoo on her foot now.

But seriously, that’s just brutal. I hope she recovers well and doesn’t have any infection issues. Hope she didn’t sever any major nerves to her leg with the posterior injury.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:07:26 PM EDT
[#18]
You should tell her shit like this wouldn't have happened in the kitchen.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:08:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn she will basically need to learn how to walk again.

If she walks on her own without physical therapy,  she will walk improperly and fuck up her knees, hips and or back.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:12:44 PM EDT
[#20]
So she made a half assed attempt at cutting the grass?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:14:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So she made a half assed attempt at cutting the grass?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:15:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Just finished mowing - wearing flip flops.  Have all my toes.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:19:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Did she tie down the safety lever? wtf
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:22:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Damn she will basically need to learn how to walk again.

If she walks on her own without physical therapy,  she will walk improperly and fuck up her knees, hips and or back.
View Quote

Yeah, I had like 5 months of physical therapy learning to force my foot to work properly, regain full range of motion and work through a wall of scar tissue after a deep laceration to my shin. It’s amazing how much goes into taking a simple step. And how much we just take it for granted.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:22:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:28:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
And some of y’all were suggesting my 7 y/o mow the lawn
View Quote

The hardest part of using a mower when you're is 7, is holding down the safety bar and pulling the string at the same time. Also, I tended to flood the mower a lot, if pushing the thing 3 times was good, 10 should be better right?

So, my dad would start the mower for me and then hand it over.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I’m trying to figure out how to chop off a toe AND your buttcheek?

View Quote

It says it right in the title "wife".

Women. Thats all you need to know.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:32:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I suppose flip flops are off the table from here on out.

Dang, that sucks. I assume toe was chopped up? Or otherwise not salvageable?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:37:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Seem like a real dis-as-ter.  

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Your friend needs to send the toe to the Yukon.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:48:13 PM EDT
[#31]
This is why I pretty much wear full body armor when I mow these days.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:56:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/103046/20210814_154746_jpg-2398774.JPG
View Quote

I remember this one
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:57:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I don't get the meme. Yellow nail polish for safety flag?
View Quote

Quoted:

I don't either really but it is supposedly really funny to her. Again, could be the drugs.
View Quote

I think she's saying, if you happen to find a toe, and it doesn't have yellow nail polish on it,  don't worry about it - it's not hers.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:57:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Ouch.
Best of luck to her.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:59:27 PM EDT
[#35]

Lol, love the movie.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:01:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I think she's saying, if you happen to find a toe, and it doesn't have yellow nail polish on it,  don't worry about it - it's not hers.
View Quote
Oh, yeah.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:04:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Proper boots

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:04:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Her Toes was Decimated!      

Please pass along our thoughts and prayers.   That looks absolutely horrible.  

Thanks for the highly effective PSA.

Just curious; did the mower rip it right outa the socket, or did the Dr. Remove the remnants, to clean it up a bit and promote healing?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/103046/20210814_154746_jpg-2398774.JPG
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 2:01:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Wow wow wow. I don't know how she's still alive. Very lucky. He replied that it was a rider (safeties disabled ) that rolled after her down a hill. How it got her butt, he says, "is a mystery to us, we're just glad that's all it was."

View Quote

Stupid. If you’re mowing hills and inclines that even slightly have you concerned about rolling over, you need something with a roll bar and seatbelt.

I used to work for a DPW during the summer in college and was constantly mowing/landscaping. I certainly didn’t have the roll bar on the zero-turn up all the time, but was glad it was there when mowing hills and ditches.  

The crocs are another thing. Most people mow in tennis shoes, which is reasonable. I don’t think it’s necessary to wear steel toes when mowing. I don’t think tennis shoes or thin leather boots would have saved her toe.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:23:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Jesus. Lucky it wasn’t worse.
View Quote

My thoughts as well. Scary stuff.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:03:43 PM EDT
[#42]
The mower blade probably slowed a bit, but it was only doing its job
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#43]
What size butt?  Tittays escape?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:15:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

she is gonna be really bummed when she tries to walk though.
View Quote

She’ll need some shoe inserts.  But she’ll be OK considering.

Crap happens so fast.  It’s over before you had the chance to know it started.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:16:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Damn, say goodbye to balance.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:19:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why did it keep running.

Those cutoff features are actually smart. Unlike the backup shutoff on riders
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Rolled a riding mower?

Edit. Nevermind, saw the post about tumbling down a hill. She must have had the automatic shut off safety on the handle tied down.
View Quote

Even the automatic shut-offs aren't that fast, the engine and blade have a lot of momentum to them that could get a few good whacks in.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I almost broke my big toe in college in a bike accident.  It hurt like hell to walk on but not using it made walking difficult.  That big toe does a lot for stability
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Man!!!  I'm VERY glad the injuries weren't worse, though they're still pretty bad.  I hope she heals up quickly.  I wonder how much the loss of the big toe will effect her walking.  

I use an old push mower to do the angled front lawn at my Moms place, and always am wary as I push it uphill on a couple of spots to go around a couple of trees, and to stand behind it to do the edge of the yard at the ditch.  The older neighbors used to come and use their riders to do the lawn for mom when she wasn't able to do it anymore with her push mower, but they were not crazy about the angle of the yard, and said they felt like they were going to topple their riders off in to the ditch and stopped doing it.  I never mow when the grass is even a little damp, as I've slipped before on wet grass (thankfully not while mowing) and your feet go out from under you quickly.  

I think it's time for me to get a good rechargeable weed eater to do the ditch edge and around the trees and cut back on the unsafe practices.

I almost broke my big toe in college in a bike accident.  It hurt like hell to walk on but not using it made walking difficult.  That big toe does a lot for stability

IIRC you need either the big toe or all four little toes on a foot to be able to walk with stability.  

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:41:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Might I suggest a new tattoo to commemorate the occasion?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/72701/download__1__jpeg-2398598.JPG

View Quote

I'm more partial to this one:
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:45:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Ass, grass or big toe... no one mows for free.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top