Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 1:48:51 PM EDT
[#1]
These drills are a scam to sell books.
When I was a young man some guy claimed he could shoot all the way across Mozambique or some such nonsense.

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 1:52:48 PM EDT
[#2]
People who only shoot their rifles out to 200 yards think 800 yards is "long range." People who shoot their rifles out to 1,500 yards know 800 is not long range.

The Dicken Drill is just another drill in the tool box.  And if you think negatively about it, you're probably fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The "Dicken Drill" makes me cringe.

the poor guy probably hates all this attention and masterbating but isn't allowed to speak yet about it.

he also didn't shoot all his rounds from the god tier 40 yards away  range.

he did a damn fine job stopping that threat, and has my respect.

I can appreciate people motivated to train some more because of this, but still.....

View Quote
God damn bro should of atleast held out for 2nd post rather than jump right in and prove the ops point
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 1:53:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

G19 with a weapon light and stock iron sights.
View Quote

Do you have any proof to this, a source?

I keep seeing all sorts of reports.

Hellcat with a Dot, G19 with a Light.

Does anyone *actually* know what he used?
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 1:59:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same....I've seem multiple versions posted here but never seen anything posted to confirm it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 2:04:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 2:06:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The article and I clearly posted the 333 mindset. The Dicken is well outside that. And while yes revolvers are merely tools they are largely favored by the people of the Fudd mindset (that and the 1911). The Dicken drill requires speed. Which goes against the Fudd one round per second mentality. Preferred Fudd guns would require even more speed since a reload is required. Again, goes against Fudd mentality. So, no I clearly understand what a Fudd is, you were just triggered.
View Quote

I have no clue what a 333 is supposed to mean, google shows a bunch of gibberish. Revolvers are not a fudd mindset, you are adding to it something that cannot be added to. Same for the 1911, you are making parameters to suit your agenda here that have zero to do with being a fudd. And you are letting what someone else says live in your head rent free. You really shouldn't, because there's not even a fudd mindset on how many rounds a second, that is just you making it up as you go along due to a confirmation bias. There are no handguns that fudds prefer, they want that taken away from us too so you have no argument there either. Still no fudd mentality with what you are describing. So yes, you still clearly have no idea what a fudd is or isn't and you got yourself triggered by opinions that you do not share and wanted to lash out.

Don't let what they say control you, or they will win and that's what they want want. revolver users and 1911 users are part of the defend the 2nd community, stop being divisive and let them be them and stay worrying only about your lane. That's the only thing that you get to control here, you and you alone.

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 2:07:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You don't know what a fudd is, please stop using it out of context.

And second, you sensationalized, meaning your explanation still doesn't count.

And post count is lame. Ask for all of mine, you can have it as it's meaningless to me.
View Quote

It’s only a real Fudd if it comes from the Fudd region of France.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 2:14:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Golden opportunity to educate but you chose to scoff at him instead.

This is why we are losing the 2A long game.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about what the fuck is a Dickens drill and why should I care?
Go back to sleep.

An ignoramus should be mocked.  People are too lazy to look up easily located information.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 2:15:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't know what a fudd is, please stop using it out of context.

And second, you sensationalized, meaning your explanation still doesn't count.

And post count is lame. Ask for all of mine, you can have it as it's meaningless to me.

Otherwise it's just sparkling bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 2:16:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im still holding out for HiPoint with holosun.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 2:18:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
People who only shoot their rifles out to 200 yards think 800 yards is "long range." People who shoot their rifles out to 1,500 yards know 800 is not long range.

The Dicken Drill is just another drill in the tool box.
View Quote

800 yards is extremely long range on a 2MOA red dot with zero magnification

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 2:21:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
An ignoramus should be mocked.  People are too lazy to look up easily located information.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go back to sleep.

That's an excuse to be just as lazy, we're still eating our own instead of educating.

We are losing, the mocking isn't working. Time to unite and be helpful. Or lose. Pick one.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 2:44:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Dicken Drill is just another drill in the tool box.

Is 40 yards with iron sights long range?

Stop being obtuse.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

10 rounds at 40 yards in 15 seconds.

You know, the 22 year old that stopped a mass shooter from across the food court with a concealed carry gun.
View Quote

That’s not it.
2 shots from concealment at 40 yrds
Subsequent 8 shots while approaching target
Timed at 15 seconds.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 2:56:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That’s not it.
2 shots from concealment at 40 yrds
Subsequent 8 shots while approaching target
Timed at 15 seconds.
View Quote

If the weather doesn't shit on us this Sunday, me and my shooting partner will try that. He's got a timer too.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 2:58:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The Dicken Drill is just another drill in the tool box.  And if you think negatively about it, you're probably fucking stupid.
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 2:58:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Fudds hate fire rate faster than one shot every 2 seconds.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 3:02:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's iron sights, on a rifle, range.

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 3:09:00 PM EDT
[#20]
I think Eli is a hero, I think people doing these longer-distance timed drills is great and we should all incorporate challenges such as this into our training.

But…

Am I the only person who noticed the LE presser said it took him 15 seconds to engage the threat, and take that to mean 15 seconds from start of attack to start of response? I don’t think it necessarily means his 10 shots were all fired in 15 seconds.

It doesn’t really matter, but the whole Dicken Drill thing might be based on bad assumptions.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 3:26:07 PM EDT
[#21]
I believe he started at 40 yards and advanced towards the threat, while firing.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 3:36:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Im still holding out for HiPoint with holosun.
View Quote

Taurus 24/7 with second strike
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 3:40:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The article and I clearly posted the 333 mindset. The Dicken is well outside that. And while yes revolvers are merely tools they are largely favored by the people of the Fudd mindset (that and the 1911). The Dicken drill requires speed. Which goes against the Fudd one round per second mentality. Preferred Fudd guns would require even more speed since a reload is required. Again, goes against Fudd mentality. So, no I clearly understand what a Fudd is, you were just triggered.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You mean enlighten you? Because it is YOU and not "us" right now. This is not the time be be divisive as we are on the same team here.

First, it's not someone of a certain age. It's a mindset, meaning it's timeless because a fudd is a gun-owner who supports traditional hunting guns but favors gun control for other guns such as handguns or tactical rifles.

A revolver is also a handgun. This cannot be taken away or re-termed. The revolver while obsolete for modern police and modern militaries, is just obsolescent because it has been surpassed in handgun technology. But still, owning and carrying one doesn't make them a fudd, fudds the real ones want revolvers taken away too.

seems all the dudes in this thread that own/shoot/carry revolvers are game to give the drill a try or have tried it.

Afraid you're operating on bad intel.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 3:41:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Is 40 yards with iron sights long range?

Stop being obtuse.
View Quote

I've already shot the drill.

800 yards with a rifle (unaided) is nothing like 40 yards with a pistol. Most folks would consider 400 yards with a rifle to be a significant distance unaided. I believe the maximum point range for a carbine is right around that distance, as well.

It'd be more like 250-300 yards with a pistol. Minimum. Both will have 10+ feet of drop at that respective point.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 3:42:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Isn't that the dude who tried to build his rep by shitting on Paul Harrell?  New tacti-beard a disguise?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RgQk93VrJ0

here's a revolver with a reload

Isn't that the dude who tried to build his rep by shitting on Paul Harrell?  New tacti-beard a disguise?

yeah, he seems, fun at parties  

But  he did pull off the drill with a revolver and a reload.  I am sure more people will
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Regarding this shooting, did the shooter ever return the good guy’s fire?
View Quote

I think it’s been noted he turned and ran for the bathroom when he was taking rounds but was incapacitated before he made it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 3:52:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It is the best of drills, it is the worst of drills.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Charles Dickens drill.  
Using 3 different ghost guns shoot the Christmas goose as many times as you can before the clock strikes one.  Extra points for shooting one handed while holing a crutch.

It is the best of drills, it is the worst of drills.

The movie Scrooged has a scene faithfully recreating the famed Dickens drill.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 3:55:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Can we define “fudd”?
View Quote

A gun owner who is a traitor to the 2a.

See also: Zumbo

Quisling
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 3:58:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Some douchenozzle here told me that training with my carry gun is just LARPing.

Guess I should stop carrying since I don’t want to be a poseur in the eyes of this wise soul.
View Quote

Every few months a long-time member works up the courage to be himself, share his thoughts and completely step on his dick in GD. We should celebrate when they’re proven so wrong, every time.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 4:02:16 PM EDT
[#30]
The Dicken Drill is great, and I am not denigrating Eli at all. To be honest, he did better than most any person on the planet would/could do. The only way someone could have done it "better" would be by landing the other two shots.

The only thing I have questioned since the story came out was the distance...as soon as I heard it, I simply wondered if the "reporter" got their yards/feet mixed up.  Obviously, the shots are not impossible, but having quite a bit of experience behind a pistol, having been in some shitty situations myself involving guns, and knowing the effect of that adrenaline on fine motor skills, I could not help but wonder.

While I was pondering the scenario, I then considered if the distance was valid, and created a net benefit situation for Eli.  It could have been that distance that allowed Eli to get to work, quasi-surreptitiously.  Maybe he had some cover/obstacles between him and the bitch, which could have precluded the bitch from seeing him.  Because the bitch could not see the threat (Eli), he was static long enough for Eli to land 8/10.

I patiently await the formal investigation's results.

If, in fact, the scenario unfolded at 40 yards, this young man is an absolute fucking monster behind a pistol.  Those of us shooting the drill on our square ranges can NEVER come close to mimicking our bodies' physiological responses to Eli's. He would have been at such a deficit that the comparisons could not even come close to being fair. Not only would he have made 8/10 shots at a decent distance, he would have done it with diminished fine motor skills, which are usually critical when shooting pistols at extended ranges.

If I am coming across as having analyzed this even too much, not to worry.  What I have typed here is a very brief consideration of all of my thoughts on it (with having access to very limited information as far as details are concerned).  Anyhow, debriefing extremely chaotic/dynamic/violent events is a significant portion of my career.

Regardless of the details, I want to make sure to impress upon anyone reading this that Eli Dicken is an absolute juggernaut behind a pistol.  Eli is the guy we should all be training to fight against.

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 4:02:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Anyone have a link to this event? I lost the details years ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Already happened. Old dude with .357 Mag pistol shot a shitbag trying to kill a cop.

Anyone have a link to this event? I lost the details years ago.

I do not. Last time it was brought up, someone posted the video of the old guy talking about it.

It was posted above 150 FT,  not yards.

ETA: we did have an officer holding 2 horses drop someone at 100 with a .40 and another do something similar in NY (shooting a fleeing convict).
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 4:05:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Another pistol marksmanship thread containing no B6 or B8 targets. Tiresome.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Give the guy a break, he has been off-planet for a year or so and just needs some time to catch up.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 4:11:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I think Eli is a hero, I think people doing these longer-distance timed drills is great and we should all incorporate challenges such as this into our training.

But…

Am I the only person who noticed the LE presser said it took him 15 seconds to engage the threat, and take that to mean 15 seconds from start of attack to start of response? I don’t think it necessarily means his 10 shots were all fired in 15 seconds.

It doesn’t really matter, but the whole Dicken Drill thing might be based on bad assumptions.
View Quote

I've heard people say "it was 40 feet, not 40 yards" and multiple different timelines, it will probably take a while to get the facts of the thing down.
Regardless, it's a useful test of skills and gear. You are unlikely to need to shoot outside the 3-3-3 envelope for self defense, but defense of others, that is more plausible, and may you need to be very precise when you do it so you don't end up hitting the person you're trying to help. If your skills or gun aren't up to the task, you can work on that - and meanwhile you will know not to take a shot that far out (if there's risk of hitting friendlies). Know your limitations, and you'll only know them by testing.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 4:15:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Ah, the Fudds OP was talking about are here
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 4:18:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

seems all the dudes in this thread that own/shoot/carry revolvers are game to give the drill a try or have tried it.

View Quote

I'm just saying fast shooting goes against Fudd mentality
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 4:20:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Holy fuck, I've never seen so much revolver hate from the small wiener community.

We need more people to carry, more people to support the 2nd amendment, more people out there ready to shoot back. And the community keep taking a giant shit on anyone who carries a revolver.

Have you ever even fired a revolver?

Keep going. Keep sowing hate in the community and then wonder why high cap bans and shit get enacted.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 4:23:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It's odd to call the 333 rule silly and then cite a source that generally supports it.  Maybe it should be 3 rounds, 3 seconds, 5 yards- but that's far from "silliness."

Lucky Gunner link

I don't understand hate towards the Dickens Drill.  This is obviously a rare occurrence (which is why we're discussing it) but I find training for a higher bar helps with success at a lower bar.

I shot this a couple days ago at 6 yards with 1 second target presentations (that target hanger spins) as a general believer in the 3-3-5 (?) rule knowing 6 is harder than 5
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/179834/AE999127-BA38-4A55-A189-F121F641D9AA_jpe-2469400.JPG
View Quote

It is a phenomena you see in a lot of places: some people are deeply personally offended by skill. Whether that be skill demonstrated by someone else, or the suggestion that they could be better than they are.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 4:25:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ok

But this drill is more about slower, well aimed fire

It is a PEAK Fudd drill.  Hell, 8 hits is a 45 1911 loaded with a 7 round mag.  I'm sure RDS equipped guns carry an advantage- but as we've seen, this is well within the scope of possible from a snub nosed revolver or iron sighted guns.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 4:25:48 PM EDT
[#40]
It looks like a fun drill to try out, but it won't be in my regular training rotation.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It looks like a fun drill to try out, but it won't be in my regular training rotation.
View Quote

I agree with that,  

I'd consider it more of a shooting test or standard than a "drill" anyways.

i.e.  Can you pull off an Eli with your carry gun?
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 4:29:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
God forbid any old man be happy for a young dude doing good and influencing others to get better...

View Quote

That ain't what being old is about. How do you not know this you live in Florida for fucks sake!
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 4:30:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

They sow hate on a lot.

I carry a Glock. But to them it's not the rIgHt gLoCk.

I don't use red dots on carry guns. Eli did it with irons. But both not rIgHt gLoCk and irons will still get shitted on.

We are losing and will continue to lose with the hate people have here for things that isn't according to their narrow minds.

We as a community need to make a choice. Do we want uniformed my way or the highway, same model, same sighting preferences, same caliber gun, or do we want to an undivided community playing the long game for our rights while encouraging us to get out and shoot/train more?

We cannot do both.
View Quote

You are embarrassingly out of touch.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 4:31:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I agree with that,  

I'd consider it more of a shooting test or standard than a "drill" anyways.

i.e.  Can you pull off an Eli with your carry gun?
View Quote

Definitely a fun test of your distance/accuracy/speed skills.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Sounds like a lot of the posters here would only be able to do the Uvalde Police drill.  Stand around for hours and do nothing.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 4:33:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Can we define “fudd”?
View Quote

Fudd, Elmer, 1 each, white in color, big hat, likes opera, hates rabbits, weapon of choice is a double barrel semi-auto shotgun with unlimited ammo.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 4:35:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That's an excuse to be just as lazy, we're still eating our own instead of educating.

We are losing, the mocking isn't working. Time to unite and be helpful. Or lose. Pick one.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 4:35:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Sounds like a lot of the posters here would only be able to do the Uvalde Police drill.  Stand around for hours and do nothing.
View Quote

I'm really good at that drill
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 4:36:36 PM EDT
[#49]

1995 was the year I got my first CCW in VA, when it went "shall-issue".   Before that it was all about whether you knew the Sheriff or not.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 4:37:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Could I sit instead?
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top