BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 358
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 9:50:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Okay, I have been doing a lot of thinking and I think I have figured out how I feel about this episode.

Arya is not a Mary Sue. She's been training to fight THE LIVING the entire show. She starts out small and gradually increases in power.

Arya killing the NK is not Deus Ex Machina- I believe it's realistic given the parameters of the show.

The problem is with the STORYTELLING.  It doesn't make sense IN THIS STORY. It's not a satisfying or fulfilling end to Jon Snow's character Arc. His whole arc is pointless now. He had next to no effect on the battle, even thought he's one of 2 main characters in the show.

https://old.reddit.com/r/gameofthrones/comments/bjkeqm/spoilers_this_is_not_nitpicking_this_is_a_massive/

And also specifically THIS reply

It's bad writing.
The actors are brilliant, the special effects are great. The characters are mostly excellent. The Cinematography, sound, and music are all on point. The source material is fantastic (until the last book) And it even does emotions pretty well. But they are too focused on emotions to tell a good, solid story.
And yeah, they do get it right, very right, some times. That's why Ep2 felt pretty well written, on the whole- because it was focusing on human emotion and preparing us for the battle.

Even if you go back to Season 6, season 6 was mostly fantastic.

If you are sitting here thinking- hmm, should a woman kill the NK, or should it be a man- you've already lost. Because you're not thinking about writing a good story, you are inserting virtue signaling into your decision process.

Another example of bad writing- you have Jamie and Brienne, 2 characters we really care about. You barely show them. But you did spend 2 minutes on Lyanna Mormont.
Yeah, the zombie giant is cool. But it shouldn't have been able to bust through the castle door so easily. Bad writing.

The zombie dragon blew a hole in the castle wall, but now it can't damage Jon Snow if he takes cover behind piles of rubble or interior castle walls. Bad writing. They were too focused on cool shots and emotions to worry about details like a plot that makes sense.
View Quote
The wall was built with magic so it makes sense it was able to destroy it. I did not see the ice dragon being able to destroy anything else just like the fire breathing ones are not going to knock down a wall with fire.

But to your other point yes it was just bad or lazy writing.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 9:53:57 AM EDT
[#2]
The zombie dragon literally blasts a massive gaping hole in the side of Winterfell's thick outer wall earlier in the episode.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 9:55:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The zombie dragon literally blasts a massive gaping hole in the side of Winterfell's thick outer wall earlier in the episode.
View Quote
There I go being wrong again LOL...

I need to watch it again, I missed too many things.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 10:14:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Okay, I have been doing a lot of thinking and I think I have figured out how I feel about this episode.

It's bad writing.

The problem is with the STORYTELLING.  It doesn't make sense IN THIS STORY. It's not a satisfying or fulfilling end to Jon Snow's character Arc. His whole arc is pointless now. He had next to no effect on the battle, even thought he's one of 2 main characters in the show.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's bad writing.

I'm going to stop you here, and bring your idea to a few conclusions, tell me what you think.

GRRM can be accused of many things when writing.
Having TOO MUCH detail, killing too many characters, things like that.

Know what he'll NEVER get knocked for? Being flimsy in the writing.
We never meet Rhaegar Targaryen.
But we know he wasn't a knight, until one day he "Suddenly" decided to.
"Rhaegar never liked killing."  He would sing sad songs, all these other details.
We never see the guy.

We know about Rhaegar because of what we find out through like a dozen different characters each giving the audience a piece of the story.
What GRRM did in the books is amazing. Using many, many characters he advances the story, with the reader putting the pieces together.
We know tons, and tons, and tons, of things about characters we NEVER MEET - Fuckin A' The smiling knight.
We never meet that guy, he has no role in the story.
We know who he is.
He was that Era's Mountain, half the size, twice as crazy.

What am I saying:  GRRM can be accused of many things, Lazy writing is not among them.
And all of a sudden we have a ton of loose ends, and a thinner story on a huge payoff moment.

This is why people are suspecting a switch.

This and the sudden tone shift of the show Season 7 on.

Quoted:

Arya is not a Mary Sue. She's been training to fight THE LIVING the entire show. She starts out small and gradually increases in power.
So Arya was training and all, but here's the problem, and you spell it out in two words.
She was training the fight THE LIVING.
And more as an assassin, not a straight up combat class character.

Jon Snow, the "Promise me Ned" kid who was birthed of the most noble man in the south of Westeros, raised by the most noble man in the North of Westeros, spent his Arc north of the wall.
There he dealt with the free folk, AND THE WHITE WALKERS, the dead.

While Arya was learning to assassinate people and use disguises,
Jon was,

Literally killing White Walkers
Encountering the Night King, living to tell the story.
Uniting the living.

Quoted:

If you are sitting here thinking- hmm, should a woman kill the NK, or should it be a man- you've already lost. Because you're not thinking about writing a good story, you are inserting virtue signaling into your decision process.
The problem here is the audience remembers the virtue signalling of the show.

Remember DickWartTM?
Female audience members SJW Writers complained about the amount of female nudity in an HBO show, and the show-runners gave us a shot of a dude whipping out his dick, with a wart on it.
While GRRM and his "lazy" writing might have that much detail in there, the showrunners have shown they will not hesitate to throw in SJW nuggets.
Not hard to imagine in the hollywood/entertainment field.

Here's George W Bush's head on a pike.
I bet that was GRRM's call

Attachment Attached File

Quoted: Another example of bad writing- you have Jamie and Brienne, 2 characters we really care about. You barely show them. But you did spend 2 minutes on Lyanna Mormont.
Yeah, the zombie giant is cool. But it shouldn't have been able to bust through the castle door so easily. Bad writing.

The zombie dragon blew a hole in the castle wall, but now it can't damage Jon Snow if he takes cover behind piles of rubble or interior castle walls. Bad writing. They were too focused on cool shots and emotions to worry about details like a plot that makes sense.  
Now go one step further.
A lot of these decisions may have created cool scenes, and for favorite characters, but they were "huh" moments for the audience.
For about seasons 1-6, there was not a lot of that going on.
..Suddenly the story on TV outruns the books, and suddenly we get
- More "payoffs"
- More "woww cooool" scenes that may not add up, like ones you pointed out. Little Mormont is an 11 year old girl who doesn't belong on a battlefield.
We saw it because: Fan service, and she killed a Giant because, virtue signalling.
- And suddenly the STORY'S WRITING, looks lazy... in a story where the writing was ultra-involved and intricate?

The sudden tone shift is why many people are putting on the tinfoil.
As you mentioned, there are some elements for Arya having skill.
She did train.
There's quotes.
There isn't NO reason it can't be her, but it doesn't make as much sense as "Promise me Ned..." guy who actually fought white walkers face to face, was born under a comet and all that.

And THIS is why, we believe D&D may have seen this quote about blue eyes on a Re-watch of Season 3, fallen in love with their idea of it being Arya instead.
They had only 2 seasons to cram it in, and some existing story GRRM had laid out.
So they figure, fuck it, if we can persuade GRRM to change his mind, he can re-write the book that isn't out yet.
(might explain why that's taking so damn long..)
GRRM relents, and then they begin to backfill everything.

The result sorta makes sense, and in the remaining episodes we will likely see the additional back-filling to make it air tight?
But I do believe there's question marks.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 10:25:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Weird fan theory.
What if at the end of it all Bran becomes the next Night King?
View Quote
I was hoping that when the NK and Bran met, that the NK would bend the knee and Bran would kill everyone
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 10:41:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Weird fan theory.
What if at the end of it all Bran becomes the next Night King?
View Quote
I don't think Bran has any magic to create another. Only the children had that ability from the looks of it, and they're wiped out.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 10:53:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Lol at Jon having no impact on the Walker battle.  Jon is a leader.  Jon gave the North a chance by bringing in the Wildings and Danys army with his magic cock.  Leaders don’t always have to do all the heavy lifting themselves.  Nobody else could have united all of the groups that he did, and Arya wouldn’t have gotten her shot to stab the Night King without him.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 11:07:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Days later and people are STILL crying...lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'm  certain the whining will get worse in the next few weeks.  The tv show will never live up to people's fanfiction and theories in their imagination.

"I love game of thrones, its exciting and doesn't follow typical fantasy story tropes."

"Why won't they do what they are supposed to do and make Jon Snow the hero that kills the bad guy?"

Quoted:
Lol at Jon having no impact on the Walker battle.  Jon is a leader.  Jon gave the North a chance by bringing in the Wildings and Danys army with his magic cock.  Leaders don’t always have to do all the heavy lifting themselves.  Nobody else could have united all of the groups that he did, and Arya wouldn’t have gotten her shot to stab the Night King without him.
Exactly, Jon Snow is a diplomat and a leader.  He's not a legendary warrior that fought off the Ice Giants and the Barbarian Horde and  the only one that can take down the Evil Warlord.

Again, all the complainers are butthurt that their fan theory that Jon is the prince of prophesy that will slay the NK is wrong.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Arya trained to fight the living and Jon snow trained to fight the dead so Jon Snow has to kill the NK is so superficial and obvious that its funny that high and mighty book snobs think its good writing.  It's not the way GRRM writes stories anyway.

I posted it before and I guess I'll have to post it again.  Arya's arc is not just getting trained to kill so she can get revenge.  Her character arc revolves around death and understanding it.

https://old.reddit.com/r/gameofthrones/comments/bj3lmu/spoilers_there_is_only_one_god_and_his_name_is/
So I've been thinking a lot about why Arya was the one to kill the Night King. As many people have pointed out, the Night King has always been Jon's storyline - not Arya's. So what is Arya's storyline exactly? To be blunt: death.

?

season one: "There is only one god and his name is Death, and there is only one thing we say to Death: not today."

Arya is introduced to the concept of 'Death' as a personification, and as something that can be fought if one has the strength to do so

Arya makes her first kill

?

season two: Jaqen H'ghar, a servant of the Many-Faced God (AKA: Death), informs Arya that a debt is owed: three deaths, for the three lives she saved.

Arya is introduced to the concept of a life/death balance; while Death can be fought in one place, it will then be inevitable in another

Arya gets an assassin indebted to her

?

season three: Arya meets the Brotherhood Without Banners and sees the power of The Lord of Light, who is capable of resurrection.

Arya is introduced to the concept that Death can be fought and denied, Death maybe isn't as inevitable as she thought.

Arya meets Melisandre who gives the prophesy Arya will kill many, many people

?

season four: Arya travels with the Hound on a murder tour of Westeros, eventually becoming so used to death that it stops bothering her; this is also where Arya takes control of her own storyline

After witnessing Rob's army massacred outside the Twins and being utterly shellshocked, Arya later ends up outside the Eyrie and laughs when she learns more of her family are dead

Arya becomes unbothered and unworried by the prospect of murdering people - so long as they deserve it. She kills Poliver to get Needle back, but is angered by the prospect of the Hound killing the farmer and his daughter

Arya refuses to go with Brienne because of her Lannister affiliation, refuses to mercy-kill the Hound even though he is/was on her list, and makes the decision to go to Braavos to learn how to be an assassin like Jaqen

?

season five: Arya tries her hand at being a servant to the Many-Faced-God, learning that there is more to Death than she thought.

Arya is introduced to the concept of death as an act of kindliness rather than violence: washing the bodies and treating them with respect, listening to and empathising with the pleas of the supplicants.

Arya is also introduced to the reality of life as an act of selflessness: cleaning the floors so that people can pray, removing her personal effects to become one of the interchangeable servants and letting go of personal affiliation, becoming 'no one' and becoming 'Lanna' rather than being herself.

Arya is tasked with fulfilling a contract, something she has been begging for, but goes rogue and kills Meryn Trant instead.

?

season six: Arya furthers her training as a servant to the Many-Faced-God, but rejects the ideology and takes her life into her own hands once more

Arya, by having her eyesight removed, learns how to see outside of herself and gains a better understanding of how death affects people other than herself:

she learns to anticipate and understand people when they are trying to kill (Waif's instruction)

and learns to analyse and understand people who are faced with death (empathising with Cersei's grief for a murdered Joffrey).

Arya tries to commit herself to becoming a kindly, selfless servant like Jaqen, but decides that she needs to take control of her own life instead of trying to control others.

?

season seven: Arya goes about her new life, killing those that she (as opposed to the House of Black and White) want dead but using the skills and philosophies they taught her. She is now in control of her life, and other peoples deaths.

Arya massacres House Frey, but only those who had a direct role in the killing (the men) - she leaves the women alive, because they have taken no lives themselves. She says that "Winter came for House Frey".

Arya kills Littlefinger, but only once his crimes have been read out for all to hear and his guilt is made apparent - she does not simply kill him at the nearest opportunity or in a frenzy, she waits for the right moment.

?

So what has Arya's storyline been about? Death.

Arya knows Death. She has had his servants indebted to her, she has served him herself, she has avoided his grasp, and she has let others feel his wrath. She has seen the power of Death, the Many-Faced God, and she has seen the power of the Lord of Light. She knows they are both real. She knows that the Lord of Light wants her alive for something - has been resurrecting Beric and keeping him from Death for something, she knows that Death can be denied, and she knows that he's coming for her little brother.

?

To Arya, he's not the Night King. He's Death, and there's only one thing she needs say to him: not today.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 11:28:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 11:31:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

https://old.reddit.com/r/gameofthrones/comments/bjkeqm/spoilers_this_is_not_nitpicking_this_is_a_massive/

And also specifically THIS reply

It's bad writing.
View Quote
It is nitpicking.  Their fanboy theory that Jon is the savior of everything didn't come true.

Jon's character arc isn't over with the NK.  He literally just found out that he's a Targaryan and that he's the rightful heir to the throne.  He will play a big part in the final episodes.

Arya's character arc was building up to something big.  It can't be denied.  She was a main character and has some of the most screen time and pov chapters in the books.  Her going through her training and arc just to kill Walder Frey and Cercei is boring and lazy writing.  It would tie up the rest of the story in KL and would be very cheap and empty.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 11:33:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This last episode shit all over Samwell and even the Hound kinda. I liked Samwell, he was a buffoon but he tried his best. He even attacked a White Walker head on to protect Gilly. But this episode took all the character building from the previous seasons away from him and just turned him into a crying bitch for the entire episode. And now nobody cares about him, thanks D&D.

They could have just as easily shown him hacking away at the dead like a madman for 10 seconds and people would like his character more now.
View Quote
Not really. Sam fought the army of the dead for 80 minutes and didn't give up. Sure he wasn't a big hero and he got Edd killed and at the end he was down and crying but he was still fighting for his life for over an hour, he must have killed dozens of wights. He shouldn't have been on the front line to begin with, other than that he did well not to lay down and die before it was over. Hand to hand for an hour is no joke for anyone. I've seen grown men cry 10 minutes into a sparring session with gear on, Sam's fighting the army of the fucking dead for real with men dying all around him, friends dying, and people are all "what a pussy" from the couch.

Sandor has always been like that too, fire fucks with his head. It isn't rational or conscious and it's not that he's not brave. Unresolved childhood trauma, he needs to kill the mountain.

Jon is the one who brought that whole army together, all of it. Ice and fire, together. Tyrion spelled that out for everyone in "Winterfell" just in case you didn't get it from the red witch.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This last episode shit all over Samwell and even the Hound kinda. I liked Samwell, he was a buffoon but he tried his best. He even attacked a White Walker head on to protect Gilly. But this episode took all the character building from the previous seasons away from him and just turned him into a crying bitch for the entire episode. And now nobody cares about him, thanks D&D.

They could have just as easily shown him hacking away at the dead like a madman for 10 seconds and people would like his character more now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was kinda hoping Samwell Tarly would die, and he should have. For some reason I think of him as a combination of Sam and Frodo from LOTR and I couldn't stand either of them.

He actually did kill at least one wight, just before he got Ed killed, but yeah, they fucked him.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 11:43:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Scene #17  Death has many faces

I believe you can see Arya enter the woods just before Theon's men are attacked.

It occurs when Theon hears something and sees shadows in the wood.   He says “Get Ready”.  I think Arya is the first shadow seen by Theon.  She is being followed by one or more undead.  One of whom she will use to disguise herself, so that she can get into position without drawing attention.

When the undead start to come into the scene seconds later they come through the gate and directly attack Theon and his men, as they usually do.  No strategy just aggressive straightforward undead attack. That’s why the first few didn’t attack.  … they were chasing Arya.

When this attack starts there still aren't many undead around.  This occurs during the great lull in the battle where the living have cleared out most of the undead. And before the Night King raised the second wave of undead.   It’s during this phase that Arya is getting ready for the most important assassination attempt of her life.

(So, she was in place earlier then I thought.)

Also in this scene you can see the iron bucket she will uses to increase both her jump height and distance.  Theon was using it to hold his arrows.  But it'll be empty when she uses it for her jump.

So, I believe, she got to the forest when there weren't many undead around and she waited.  She may have prepared a disguise, While I don’t think she needed one, I think she did,  because it would have made it easier to just be standing there with the rest of the regular undead, and it would have allowed her to get closer to the Night King. That and the title of the scene #17 Death has many faces would kind of make sense.

How did Arya's attack go down?

Facing the tree, her attack came from off center and to the right of where the Night King is standing over Bran, maybe 10 yards from where Arya is.

She ran from her position slightly off the right shoulder of the NK, she jumped on the edge of the iron bucket which added an extra 24"-30" of height to her jump.  The average girl her age, in good shape, can jump 20" vertically.

I think that would have given her a maximum jump height from her feet to the ground of 44" to 50" At the peak inflection point of her trajectory, that put her head somewhere between 2.75'-3.25' above the head of the Night King. ...well represented in the shot we get to see.

Yes, with her arms extended at the mini-max potential of that trajectory's inflection point she could have dunked a basketball. Oh, and per her usual practice she ripped off her mask just before she killed the NK.

I also think we'll probably get a reveal.  So maybe we'll get to see if I'm right or not.  Which would be nice.

If you go back and watch from scene #14 titled What do we say to the god of death everything I've written is based on evidence that can be seen in the episode.  It's just not in your face obvious.  There are also a lot of cut-scenes so you have to watch carefully.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 11:52:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm going to stop you here, and bring your idea to a few conclusions, tell me what you think.

"Rhaegar never liked killing."  He would sing sad songs, all these other details.
We never see the guy.

We know about Rhaegar because of what we find out through like a dozen different characters each giving the audience a piece of the story.
What GRRM did in the books is amazing. Using many, many characters he advances the story, with the reader putting the pieces together.
We know tons, and tons, and tons, of things about characters we NEVER MEET - Fuckin A' The smiling knight.
We know who he is.

What am I saying:  GRRM can be accused of many things, Lazy writing is not among them.
And all of a sudden we have a ton of loose ends, and a thinner story on a huge payoff moment.

So Arya was training and all, but here's the problem, and you spell it out in two words.

Jon Snow, the "Promise me Ned" kid who was birthed of the most noble man in the south of Westeros, raised by the most noble man in the North of Westeros, spent his Arc north of the wall.

Jon was,

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/fIFn0rPcFMZZbuOxJMa5yQ--~A/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9NjAw/http://media.zenfs.com/en-US/homerun/cbstv.cbs.com/ebaa486794306c9b0fe5600c4ee75063

Uniting the living.

Remember DickWartTM?
Female audience members SJW Writers complained about the amount of female nudity in an HBO show, and the show-runners gave us a shot of a dude whipping out his dick, with a wart on it.
While GRRM and his "lazy" writing might have that much detail in there, the showrunners have shown they will not hesitate to throw in SJW nuggets.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/144599/DumbAndDumberSJW_png-931640.JPG

Now go one step further.
A lot of these decisions may have created cool scenes, and for favorite characters, but they were "huh" moments for the audience.
- More "payoffs"
- More "woww cooool" scenes that may not add up, like ones you pointed out. Little Mormont is an 11 year old girl who doesn't belong on a battlefield.
We saw it because: Fan service, and she killed a Giant because, virtue signalling.
- And suddenly the STORY'S WRITING, looks lazy... in a story where the writing was ultra-involved and intricate?

She did train.
There's quotes.
There isn't NO reason it can't be her, but it doesn't make as much sense as "Promise me Ned..." guy who actually fought white walkers face to face, was born under a comet and all that.

And THIS is why, we believe D&D may have seen this quote about blue eyes on a Re-watch of Season 3, fallen in love with their idea of it being Arya instead.
They had only 2 seasons to cram it in, and some existing story GRRM had laid out.
So they figure, fuck it, if we can persuade GRRM to change his mind, he can re-write the book that isn't out yet.

The result sorta makes sense, and in the remaining episodes we will likely see the additional back-filling to make it air tight?
View Quote
To add to this, GOT is actually two interwoven stories, ASOIAF and GOT.  Arya has clearly been entirely within the GOT plotline, and Jon was 100% in the ASOIAF plotline.  Now, there's nothing wrong with the plot lines merging, but you have to write it.  As Hitchcock famously said, don't have a character pull a gun in Act III if you didn't show them putting the gun in their pocket in Act I.  So you have Jon, who is built up over 7 seasons to be the nemesis of the NK, and he doesn't even get a face to face.  Meanwhile, Arya only paused her little GOT murder spree to return to Winterfell because her family was there.  There was no foreshadowing or buildup towards her being a key role in ASOIAF.  No one in the House of White and Black mentions the NK, or the Others.  And if you wanted that, you could have done that.  It is clear that the NK has followers in Essos, such as the magi who castrated Varys.  You could have tied in Arya's training to the NK.  Maybe she has to assassinate a magi who worships the Other?  What does she see in his mansion?  Something evil?  Something that gives her unique knowledge into NK?  Maybe she runs into a fire priestess who warns of the Other?  Maybe a prophecy more direct than "blue eyes?"  The Arya thing just strikes me as a last minute "gotcha" change.  "Oh, you were expecting Jon v. NK?  Surprise!"

Game of Thrones 6x05: Tyrion and Varys speak with Kinvara
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 11:52:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That was the whole point of Cersi's strategy.  Her mere 20k troops is now significant compared to what's left of the army of the north.  This will create the drama for the remaining three episodes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what is left of Dany’s Army?   It seems like all of the Dothraki Army is dead and most of the Unsullied are dead.  Are two injured dragons enough?
That was the whole point of Cersi's strategy.  Her mere 20k troops is now significant compared to what's left of the army of the north.  This will create the drama for the remaining three episodes.
Exactly. I didn't get why so many people were saying Cersei was a moron who didn't understand the WW threat.  She did understand.  She simply knew that by sitting out the battle between the living and the dead she gave herself the best chance of keeping the throne.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

We never see the guy.

We know who he is.

Jon was,

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/fIFn0rPcFMZZbuOxJMa5yQ--~A/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9NjAw/http://media.zenfs.com/en-US/homerun/cbstv.cbs.com/ebaa486794306c9b0fe5600c4ee75063

Uniting the living.

Remember DickWartTM?

Now go one step further.
- More "payoffs"

She did train.
There's quotes.

View Quote
GRRM wrote a great story and D&D did a very good job of translating it to television. They had to combine some characters and omit others along the way but all-in-all they pretty much kept the story in tact.

Then the show progressed past the source material and the quality took a hit. D&D even stated that it gave them the opportunity to “change up the story.”

Their reasoning for anyone but Jon killing the night king was “hoping to avoid the expected” because “it didn’t feel right”. Those are their words.

I don’t believe what we’re getting is what GRRM had planned (or is planning). D&D have devolved the show to fan fiction. If they had a general outline of the show instead of all of GRRMs work it would have lasted maybe three seasons.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Arya killed the NK when he was surrounded by an entire 360 of dudes. He wasnt distracted either, he caught her ass.

She could have done that anywhere.

Jon led those people to pointless horrible deaths for no reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Arya wouldn’t have gotten her shot to stab the Night King without him.
Arya killed the NK when he was surrounded by an entire 360 of dudes. He wasnt distracted either, he caught her ass.

"the prince who was promised" and "Azor ahai", the wars, the prophesies?
That stuff GRRM actually wrote?
Just a total fan theory bro.
It was made entirely in the minds of the fans

Don't you see how smart the D&D thing was?
Muh dagger.
And use the word death too.
Tons of characters use it, Jon face to face with ACTUAL ice death but.
Hey. Dagger Jump.

Why'd Rhaegar, do what he did?
Why did Jon do what he had done?
Jon Snow was raised from the dead?
The BigBrains can't tell us until D&D tells us.
But it's not as important as an eye quote, and a season 7 dagger swap.
If you keep reading further and further into everything it can sound smart.

Luckily the big brains who saw the obvious dagger-jump ending, who did not predict it at any point but now lecture everyone on how much they agree with D&D Are here.
Now they won't be able to explain the Rhaegar stuff until the back-filled D&D explanations show up in the next few episodes, if we get them at all anyway.
(Going from ultra-detailed, to spelled out televsion stuff isn't the mark of a tone change though, duh.)

The real mark of intelligence brah.
They won't be able to tell us shit until D&D shows it to them.
Just like the "What a twist!" ending, which was good because, Muh twistTM
But it was obvious (Which is why they didn't predict it at all), because - backfilled details.

And if the backfilled details sorta make sense in the next few episodes?
There's no reason to suspect a change was made, because, reasons.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 11:58:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sansa pulled similar shit in the Battle of the Bastards. If she told Jon the knights of the Vale were inbound they would have held off on engaging Ramsay until they arrived, they would have likely easily won the battle, and would have saved thousands of lives.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 11:59:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
To add to this, GOT is actually two interwoven stories, ASOIAF and GOT.  Arya has clearly been entirely within the GOT plotline, and Jon was 100% in the ASOIAF plotline.  Now, there's nothing wrong with the plot lines merging, but you have to write it.  As Hitchcock famously said, don't have a character pull a gun in Act III if you didn't show them putting the gun in their pocket in Act I.  So you have Jon, who is built up over 7 seasons to be the nemesis of the NK, and he doesn't even get a face to face.  Meanwhile, Arya only paused her little GOT murder spree to return to Winterfell because her family was there.  There was no foreshadowing or buildup towards her being a key role in ASOIAF.  No one in the House of White and Black mentions the NK, or the Others.  And if you wanted that, you could have done that.  It is clear that the NK has followers in Essos, such as the magi who castrated Varys.  You could have tied in Arya's training to the NK.  Maybe she has to assassinate a magi who worships the Other?  What does she see in his mansion?  Something evil?  Something that gives her unique knowledge into NK?  Maybe she runs into a fire priestess who warns of the Other?  Maybe a prophecy more direct than "blue eyes?"  The Arya thing just strikes me as a last minute "gotcha" change.  "Oh, you were expecting Jon v. NK?  Surprise!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saP5TvD0X44
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We never see the guy.

We know who he is.

Jon was,

Uniting the living.

Remember DickWartTM?

Now go one step further.
- More "payoffs"

She did train.
There's quotes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saP5TvD0X44
Yes.

This is solid.

IMHO if the plan was Arya from the beginning?
GRRM might have had the whole thing happen north of the Wall.
Instead of moving all of westeros into the path of the dagger-jump timeline,
Skip the war(s), skip Jon snow, having a larger army of the living.
Bran goes north of the wall, then sends for and joins Arya, learns her up on the WWs

The 3ER has the whole thing North of the Wall, with a larger army of the living (With a continent not ravaged by war, twice), in case he fails.
North of the wall this happens, where they can REALLLLY lure the Night King out into where he feels safe
Like, say, having an assassin sneak into the White Walkers home base, perhaps in a Craster mask.

This reeks of D&D refusing to run beastmode from the 1yard line.
As TLJ shows us, sometimes "Subverting expectations" to seem smart, flies into the face of basic storytelling.
Build a story, pay it off.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 12:02:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
GRRM wrote a great story and D&D did a very good job of translating it to television. They had to combine some characters and omit others along the way but all-in-all they pretty much kept the story in tact.

Then the show progressed past the source material and the quality took a hit. D&D even stated that it gave them the opportunity to “change up the story.”

Their reasoning for anyone but Jon killing the night king was “hoping to avoid the expected” because “it didn’t feel right”. Those are their words.

I don’t believe what we’re getting is what GRRM had planned (or is planning). D&D have devolved the show to fan fiction. If they had a general outline of the show instead of all of GRRMs work it would have lasted maybe three seasons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We never see the guy.

We know who he is.

Jon was,

Uniting the living.

Remember DickWartTM?

Now go one step further.
- More "payoffs"

She did train.
There's quotes.

They did.
The translation to television was very good, and I agree that once they decided they wanted to play GRRM and rearrange the story because it sounded MoreCoolerTM, it may have looked better on TV in some ways, but the quality suffered.
It has not bothered me at all, until now.

Missing ladystoneheart? I didn't give a shit.
The Mance Rayder stuff?
Eh. Not a problem.

"Check it out, Arya daggerjump, WHAT A TWIST!"
whoa whoa whoa...
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 12:03:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sansa pulled similar shit in the Battle of the Bastards. If she told Jon the knights of the Vale were inbound they would have held off on engaging Ramsay until they arrived, they would have likely easily won the battle, and would have saved thousands of lives.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would a leader tell troops a battle plan?
You need to TrustWomynTM and know that men run in dicks first alll the time, bigot.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 12:10:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Exactly, Jon Snow is a diplomat and a leader.  He's not a legendary warrior that fought off the Ice Giants and the Barbarian Horde and  the only one that can take down the Evil Warlord.

Again, all the complainers are butthurt that their fan theory that Jon is the prince of prophesy that will slay the NK is wrong.
View Quote
It's not a freaking fan theory.
The whole story revolves around him!
The Prince that was Promised has been mentioned dozens of times in the books and in the show. None of the prophecy makes sense for Arya.
I'm not butthurt I'm just mystified that they chose SJW ideals over a story that makes actual sense. Again. He spends 7 seasons fighting wights and white walkers. Survived many dangerous battles. She had never even seen one until that episode.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

As TLJ shows us, sometimes "Subverting expectations" to seem smart, flies into the face of basic storytelling.
View Quote
A good analogy.

I'm not sure which was worse though.  Having Arya jump out of the bushes to quick kill a villain they had built up as the big bad of the entire 8 season series or having 45 seconds, 3 plays, and 1 timeout to gain 1 yard so you throw a slant into heavy traffic on the first play.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 12:16:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I believe you can see Arya enter the woods just before Theon's men are attacked.

It occurs when Theon hears something and sees shadows in the wood.   He says “Get Ready”.  I think Arya is the first shadow seen by Theon.  She is being followed by one or more undead.  One of whom she will use to disguise herself, so that she can get into position without drawing attention.

When the undead start to come into the scene seconds later they come through the gate and directly attack Theon and his men, as they usually do.  No strategy just aggressive straightforward undead attack. That’s why the first few didn’t attack.  … they were chasing Arya.

When this attack starts there still aren't many undead around.  This occurs during the great lull in the battle where the living have cleared out most of the undead. And before the Night King raised the second wave of undead.   It’s during this phase that Arya is getting ready for the most important assassination attempt of her life.

So, she was in place earlier then I thought.

Also in this scene you can see the iron bucket she will uses to increase both her jump height and distance.  Theon was using it to hold his arrows.  But when she uses it’ll be empty.

So, I believe, she got to the forest when there weren't many undead around and she waited.  She may have prepared a disguise, While I don’t think she needed one, I think she did,  because it would have made it easier to just be standing there with the rest of the regular undead, and it would have allowed her to get closer to the Night King. That and the title of the scene #17 Death has many faces would kind of make sense.

Facing the tree, her attack came from off center and to the right of where the Night King is standing over Bran, maybe 10 yards from where Arya is.

She ran from her position slightly off the right shoulder of the NK, she jumped on the edge of the iron bucket which gave her an extra 24"-30" of height to her jump.  The average girl her age, in good shape, can jump 20" vertically.

I think that would have given her a maximum jump height from her feet to the ground of 44" to 50" At the peak inflection point of her trajectory, that put her head somewhere between 2.75'-3.25' above the head of the Night King. ...well represented in the shot we get to see.

Yes, with her arms extended at the min-max potential of that trajectory inflection point she could have dunked a basketball.

I also think we'll probably get a reveal.  So maybe we'll get to see if I'm right or not.  Which would be nice.

If you go back and watch from scene #14 titled What do we say to the god of death everything I've written is based on evidence that can be seen in the episode.  It's just not in your face obvious.  There are also a lot of cut-scenes so you have to watch carefully.
View Quote
I think you're right, the first movement you see in the Godswood looks like Arya, and that happens immediately after her scene with the Red woman.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 12:24:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I think you're right, the first movement you see in the Godswood looks like Arya, and that happens immediately after her scene with the Red woman.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(So, she was in place earlier then I thought.)

Also in this scene you can see the iron bucket she will uses to increase both her jump height and distance.  Theon was using it to hold his arrows.  But it'll be empty when she uses it for her jump.

She ran from her position slightly off the right shoulder of the NK, she jumped on the edge of the iron bucket which added an extra 24"-30" of height to her jump.  The average girl her age, in good shape, can jump 20" vertically.

Yes, with her arms extended at the mini-max potential of that trajectory's inflection point she could have dunked a basketball. Oh, and per her usual practice she ripped off her mask just before she killed the NK.

Thank you, I think I'm right too.

It's all there for you to see, it's all logical, and fits.  The director did a good job capturing it all in the film.  Which is why I think we will get a "reveal" at some point.  There was just too much effort putting all those clues in for them not to go back and show it.  Perhaps the next episode will start with the attack, following Arya and filling in the gaps for most viewers.  I think the director knew what he was doing.  He knew most viewers would miss it all, and that it might cause controversy.  Nothing better than outraged nerds fighting over theories.

They're so much going on, and so much confusion and cut scenes they're all easily overlooked.  But the evidence is there.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 12:34:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm  certain the whining will get worse in the next few weeks.  The tv show will never live up to people's fanfiction and theories in their imagination.

"I love game of thrones, its exciting and doesn't follow typical fantasy story tropes."
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That gets used a lot but I feel it’s misconstrued. People act like they kill off “major” characters just for shock value. That’s not the case.

GRRM did a great job of developing all the characters. Typically minor characters don’t have the time and backstory added to them. When they do, such as the case with ASOIAF/GOT, you understand them and become attached to them. When they die it feels “wrong” because you’re invested in them.

"Why won't they do what they are supposed to do and make Jon Snow the hero that kills the bad guy?"

D&D explicitly stated the reason for Jon not killing the NK is because they “hoped to avoid the expected” because it didn’t “feel right”.

I don’t care that Jon didn’t kill the night king. But when the show runners state that the reason why is because of “muh feelings” I’m going to bitch about it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 12:44:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

There I go being wrong again LOL...

I need to watch it again, I missed too many things.
View Quote
Turn your gama up this time.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 12:46:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That gets used a lot but I feel it’s misconstrued. People act like they kill off “major” characters just for shock value. That’s not the case.

GRRM did a great job of developing all the characters. Typically minor characters don’t have the time and backstory added to them. When they do, such as the case with ASOIAF/GOT, you understand them and become attached to them. When they die it feels “wrong” because you’re invested in them.

D&D explicitly stated the reason for Jon not killing the NK is because they “hoped to avoid the expected” because it didn’t “feel right”.

I don’t care that Jon didn’t kill the night king. But when the show runners state that the reason why is because of “muh feelings” I’m going to bitch about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  I have no idea how anyone with a decent memory that's been paying attention could think Arya jumping out of the bushes to quick kill the villain the show had built up at the big bad of the entire 8 season series is the exact same thing as the Red Wedding.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 12:50:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
A good analogy.

I'm not sure which was worse though.  Having Arya jump out of the bushes to quick kill a villain they had built up as the big bad of the entire 8 season series or having 45 seconds, 3 plays, and 1 timeout to gain 1 yard so you throw a slant into heavy traffic on the first play.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A good analogy.

A receiver jumping out of the bushes was so obvious though
When someone has at least two choices in front of them and chooses one over the other, we're not allowed to disagree with it
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 12:52:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh man you disagreed with D&D?
Makes us snowflakes.
"Promise me Ned, promise me" guy (the one that was raised from the dead, and Rhaegar set in motion a war to have that child), being the prince that was promised is a simple fanfic theory.

Know what doesn't read like a fanfic? A surprise littlegirl Daggerjump.
All that training she had against living opponents.

Translates better to Whitewalkers, than the guy who had several, numerous, face to face encounters with wights and whitewalkers, and the nightking (and that time he killed a whitewalker).
It's silly that HE would do the deed

Oh the showrunners explicitly stated they wanted to do unexpected thing after 8 seasons of building?
Oh that's a conspiracy theory, durrr.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 1:04:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The Prince that was Promised has been mentioned dozens of times in the books and in the show. None of the prophecy makes sense for Arya.
I'm not butthurt I'm just mystified that they chose SJW ideals over a story that makes actual sense. Again. He spends 7 seasons fighting wights and white walkers. Survived many dangerous battles. She had never even seen one until that episode.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem is you and others have created a narrative in you mind that Jon is the chosen one, all the prophecy was true, and the plot of this show is the hero builds up and faces his Nemesis and kills him.  The show didn't turn out that way, and that's your problem.  It's a typical fantasy trope, and if you haven't figured out yet that the show/books don't follow fantasy tropes in the traditional way, well ...

Prophecy is not central to the book or show, just mentioned occasionally and different characters try to force it on themselves or those that they support because they want to be the greatest hero of all time.

The idea the Rhaegar intentionally married Lyanna to produce Jon and that he would be the prince that was promised doesn't even make any sense anyway.  Rhaegar just read about prophecy in a book, was probably a madman like the rest of his family, and decided the prince had to be himself or his son.  He had no knowledge that the Long Night was coming or that the Others/WW were preparing their return, and there is no evidence that anyone could have known.  The first scene of the book and show is the first time there is a credible sighting of WW and nobody believes the survivor.  You can't plan the prince that will defeat the evil if you don't know the evil is coming.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 1:26:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Killing Ned wasn't just for shock value.  Most people though he was the main protagonist and getting rid of him was a huge plot twist.

The problem with having a book or tv series in the internet age is somebody is going to figure out all the clues and foreshadowing and predict what will happen, and then the rest of the story gets spoiled and spreads like wildfire on the internet.  People act all smart when the theories are right and say the story was too predictable, the writing sucks, its boring.  In response, authors and show writers have to go out of their way to add surprises and unexpected twists just so the fans can't predict exactly what is going to happen.

If you are critical enough you can find problems with any story.  When you start analyzing the motivation of why a writer did this or that it gets tedious and it doesn't matter.  What matters is did it work on screen or not.  I and many other people think it worked well on screen and the story is satisfying.

D&D in the interviews are like sports coaches after a game.  They just give generic answers without giving away too much info like, "we trained hard, and everyone pulled through and worked as a team."

D&D aren't going to say that Arya's arc was building up to something important like a big kill and we decided on NK because Cercei is going to get stabbed in the back by Jamie.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 1:28:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Forget the prophecy. It still should have been Jon because that's his story. That's his arc. That's his life. That's his history. That's HIS experience.

At this point you could just erase him from the show. I don't really care who ends up on the iron throne. Who's left to be king of the ashes?

Lots of unworthy people have already sat the throne in this game. And who's to say the next person will last very long?

Say what you will about Robert, but there was peace and stability for ~17 years.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 1:32:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 1:34:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Overall I liked it.

The few issues I had I don't see discussed here very much.

First there were several shots where our favorite characters were being rushed by a clearly insurmountable amount of bad guys (think Jon Snow when the NK raised the dead) like 12 bad guys rushing from every direction and I was like well, they're dead.  Cut to another scene and back to our hero who has killed 12 rushing undead warriors who were all 3 feet away from them in every direction a moment ago.  Not a huge problem but distracted a little bit from the "realism" (yes its fantasy) of some aspects of the battle for me.  This happened several times with Jorah, Sam, Snow, Brianne/Jamie, ect

The big question I have is this.  Flaming sword guy has been raised from the dead (like jon snow) and saved Aria who went on to kill the NK.  Sword guy served his purpose to the Red God and stayed dead for the final time.   The red witch did the same.  Where does that leave Jon Snow?  Was his purpose not to kill the night king? Should he not be dead since he was already brought back or is his purpose in being brought back yet met?  I think this either is A- and oversight in writing or B- does not bode well for Jon Snows survival at the end of the series.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 1:38:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yep.

They should have at least let him die in the battle. Instead he is gonna get belittled by women for 3 more episodes.
View Quote
If that happens, I'll be pissed.

I think Jon ends up king of the seven kingdoms.

He's Arthur.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 1:39:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The problem is you and others have created a narrative in you mind that Jon is the chosen one, all the prophecy was true, and the plot of this show is the hero builds up and faces his Nemesis and kills him.  The show didn't turn out that way, and that's your problem.  It's a typical fantasy trope, and if you haven't figured out yet that the show/books don't follow fantasy tropes in the traditional way, well ...

Prophecy is not central to the book or show, just mentioned occasionally and different characters try to force it on themselves or those that they support because they want to be the greatest hero of all time.

The idea the Rhaegar intentionally married Lyanna to produce Jon and that he would be the prince that was promised doesn't even make any sense anyway.  Rhaegar just read about prophecy in a book, was probably a madman like the rest of his family, and decided the prince had to be himself or his son.  He had no knowledge that the Long Night was coming or that the Others/WW were preparing their return, and there is no evidence that anyone could have known.  The first scene of the book and show is the first time there is a credible sighting of WW and nobody believes the survivor.  You can't plan the prince that will defeat the evil if you don't know the evil is coming.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.  I think people are putting too much weight on "The Prophecy".  They're also forgetting how many times it was wrongly interpreted.

"The Prince That Was Promised", sometimes called "The Prince Who Was Promised"[1] or "The One Who Was Promised"[2] (also known as the Lord's Chosen, the Son of Fire and the Warrior of rLight[3]) is a prophesied savior in the religion of the Lord of Light. According to the prophecy, this figure would be born "amidst salt and smoke"[4] and pull a sword named Lightbringer from flames, which they would use to combat an impending darkness.[5]

The prophecy was originally written in High Valyrian, and this lead to a mistranslation as the nuances of that language were forgotten over the centuries: in High Valyrian, the word that corresponds to "prince" is gender neutral, so the correct name for this prophesied savior is "The Prince Or Princess that Was Promised",[6] indicating that it could be a man or a woman.

According to Melisandre, a red priestess of the Lord of Light, Stannis Baratheon, Lord of Dragonstone and self-proclaimed King of the Andals and the First Men, is the prophesied Prince. However, after Stannis is defeated in battle[7] and Jon Snow, the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, is raised from the dead, Melisandre claims Stannis was not the Prince, but "someone must be", suggesting she may now believe it is Jon.[1] She later confirms her belief in Jon as the Prince Who Was Promised to Ser Davos Seaworth.
--link

With that said, I think it could still be Jon, and or Dany.  It's unclear who will end up sitting on the Iron Throne.  I don't think it'll be Arya.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 1:43:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Exactly. I didn't get why so many people were saying Cersei was a moron who didn't understand the WW threat.  She did understand.  She simply knew that by sitting out the battle between the living and the dead she gave herself the best chance of keeping the throne.
View Quote
Yep, if she had joined Team Alive and they had won she would at best lose the throne at worst be put to death.

If Team Dead won she would have died anyway or have to flee across the ocean and lose the throne.

If she stayed in the south with her 20k fresh troops and the Team Alive somehow wins the day(night) she has a chance to defeat a depleted Team Alive army.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 1:49:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Yep, if she had joined Team Alive and they had won she would at best lose the throne at worst be put to death.

If Team Dead won she would have died anyway or have to flee across the ocean and lose the throne.

If she stayed in the south with her 20k fresh troops and the Team Alive somehow wins the day(night) she has a chance to defeat a depleted Team Alive army.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

huh?  People thought she was "a moron"?

It was completely obvious why Cersei didn't send troops to the North.

She was taking a high risk/high reward gamble on the outcome.   Which she does.  She'd rather not kill her challengers directly, preferable she'd rather have other people do it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 1:51:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yup.

She believes the throne is her only hope of survival, and she's probably right because Arya isn't about to let her live even if she were pardoned for helping out against the NK.

Jaime OTOH is unlikely to get murdered if he survives the last war at this point.

Cersei is a wonderful villain, with understandable motivations rather than just evil for evil's sake.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 1:53:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Forget the prophecy. It still should have been Jon because that's his story. That's his arc. That's his life. That's his history. That's HIS experience.

At this point you could just erase him from the show. I don't really care who ends up on the iron throne. Who's left to be king of the ashes?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Jon made peace with the Wildlings, took back Winterfell and united the North, created the army of the living by recruiting Dany to his cause, and successfully led and won the war against the dead.

But because he didn't get the kill shot on the NK, the whole story is ruined and its all over for him.

That's toddler logic.  The carrots are touching the mashed potatoes and gravy, dinner is ruined!!!

Jon just found out he is a Targaryen.  He still has a part to play in the story.

Quoted:
Overall I liked it.

The few issues I had I don't see discussed here very much.

First there were several shots where our favorite characters were being rushed by a clearly insurmountable amount of bad guys (think Jon Snow when the NK raised the dead) like 12 bad guys rushing from every direction and I was like well, they're dead.  Cut to another scene and back to our hero who has killed 12 rushing undead warriors who were all 3 feet away from them in every direction a moment ago.  Not a huge problem but distracted a little bit from the "realism" (yes its fantasy) of some aspects of the battle for me.  This happened several times with Jorah, Sam, Snow, Brianne/Jamie, ect

The big question I have is this.  Flaming sword guy has been raised from the dead (like jon snow) and saved Aria who went on to kill the NK.  Sword guy served his purpose to the Red God and stayed dead for the final time.   The red witch did the same.  Where does that leave Jon Snow?  Was his purpose not to kill the night king? Should he not be dead since he was already brought back or is his purpose in being brought back yet met?  I think this either is A- and oversight in writing or B- does not bode well for Jon Snows survival at the end of the series.
The first point is a legitimate criticism but all shows and stories have the heroes go up against impossible odds and come out on top when they should be dead.  It's done for dramatic effect and I think it's over the top and stupid, but it is what it is.  Rarely can big battles with heroes in the middle of the fight be realistic because with hundreds or thousands of people involved, the best fighters in the world can be easily killed by dumb luck.

Jon did more than anyone in the war against the dead.  All he didn't do is get the kill shot on NK.  Arya did that and Jon started her on her path and Jon is the reason Arya returned to Winterfell.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 1:56:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol, butthurt.

Nah, it’s just a TV show, but I’m in the D&D done fucked it up camp. The examples of their laziness, or ineptitude, are everywhere. IDK if it was supposed to be Arya from the beginning or not, and even if it was, they’re screwing up some of the most well laid out subject matter for a TV show anywhere, bound to leave some folks upset.

TLDR: I don’t think it’s about folks fan theories not happening, it’s about D&D screwing the pooch, which makes everything suspect in the eyes of many.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 1:56:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 2:02:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

She was taking a high risk/high reward gamble on the outcome.   Which she does.  She'd rather not kill her challengers directly, preferable she'd rather have other people do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think there is deeper meaning to it.  It's not just Cersei playing the game smartly and letting her enemies kill each other.

The army of the living in the north is made up of people from all over the world that are willing to sacrifice everything for a higher cause.  Most of them died to protect Westeros from an outside threat.

Cersei, Euron, and others that refuse to answer the call are the people that are content to sit back and watch the world burn.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#46]
I have so many questions.

1.  Is Dani going to believe Jon is a Targ?  We have Bran's vision/knowledge, Sam's stolen book and Jon riding a dragon.  Seems like she'll be convinced, but how will she take it?  Will one of them give up their claim for the other?  Will they marry and attempt to rule together?

2.  If she does believe Jon is Targ, are she and Jon going to tell the "general public"?  How exactly will the North take that?  Is there even enough people left in the north for it to matter?

3.  What is Jamie going to do now? He came to fight for the living as he promised and that fight appears to be over.  He said during his "trial" at Winterfell that he did what he did for his house and family and that he'd do it all again.  Even though he left King's Landing on not the best terms with Cercsi, he and Tryion don't know she paid Bronn to kill them.  Not sure Bronn would/will actually try or actually do it, but will Jamie head back to KL to try to be with his sister and the baby?  Will Tyrion convince him to stay and/or fight against Cercsi? Will they meet up with Bronn on the King's Road and Jamie or Tyrion end up with the crossbow?

4.  Interested to see the plan for attacking King's Landing.  We've seen plenty of warg drone surveillance in the show - surely they'll have Bran do a warg fly over of the area to make sure they don't fly the dragons right into the air defense system.

5.  I know there are unsullied in the preview for the next episode, but will be interesting to see just how many troops they have to attack King's Landing with.  Any troops at Dragonstone?

6.  Whoever ends up on the iron throne - if the iron throne even exists at the end - will the 7 kingdoms still be the 7 kingdoms?  Is there a possibility of more than one king or queen in Westeros or will there be one seat of power and wardens throughout like in the beginning of the books and show?  Whether Cercsi, Jon, Dani or someone else ends up  on the throne, will they hash out who gets what castle/lands/titles in the show or just fade to black?  Hell, at this point my avatar picture could be the actually ending

7.  Part of me doubts we'll ever see another book, but a small part of me thinks GRRM may have the next one done with a story line quite different from the last couple seasons of the show and is just waiting for the show to end before he sends it to the publisher.  I know that's wishful thinking though....
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 2:15:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

If that happens, I'll be pissed.

I think Jon ends up king of the seven kingdoms.

He's Arthur.
View Quote
Its possible but I dont think the writers can keep their agenda and SJW pressure out of the show. They'll have it be woman no matter what, even if they have to force the story that way. They cant help themselves.

Hopefully its Sansa or Arya or even Jon or Tyrion. If its Dany then we know they definitely went the SJW fan favorite direction.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 2:19:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I think there is deeper meaning to it.  It's not just Cersei playing the game smartly and letting her enemies kill each other.

The army of the living in the north is made up of people from all over the world that are willing to sacrifice everything for a higher cause.  Most of them died to protect Westeros from an outside threat.

Cersei, Euron, and others that refuse to answer the call are the people that are content to sit back and watch the world burn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure, I guess, but it's already been established that Cersei and Euron are both a little psychopathic.  They're villains.  I don't think they're nihilistic, they both want to be standing, and in a good position when it's over.

But they are villians, and both of them are really into backstabbing, and going to the extreme to get what they want.  Cersei has demonstrated how far she's willing to go many time.  I think one of many examples of what Cersei is willing to do is when she blew up the Sept of Baelor and everyone in it.

She also seems to be more than willing to kill Jamie her lover-brother, if he stands in the way.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Jon made peace with the Wildlings, took back Winterfell and united the North, created the army of the living by recruiting Dany to his cause, and successfully led and won the war against the dead.

But because he didn't get the kill shot on the NK, the whole story is ruined and its all over for him.

That's toddler logic.  The carrots are touching the mashed potatoes and gravy, dinner is ruined!!!
View Quote
Even if Jon made peace with the wildlings, are there even any of them left alive anymore? Besides Tormund? What about the North? It was decimated. None of that seems to matter anymore.

I didn't NEED Jon to get the killshot. But he should have been involved. He wasn't even in the same area when it happened. He was playing peekaboo with a zombie dragon.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Lol, butthurt.

Nah, it’s just a TV show, but I’m in the D&D done fucked it up camp. The examples of their laziness, or ineptitude, are everywhere. IDK if it was supposed to be Arya from the beginning or not, and even if it was, they’re screwing up some of the most well laid out subject matter for a TV show anywhere, bound to leave some folks upset.

TLDR: I don’t think it’s about folks fan theories not happening, it’s about D&D screwing the pooch, which makes everything suspect in the eyes of many.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Lol, butthurt.

It is butthurt if Hero A not stabbing bad guy B ruins a story for someone.

I give D&D credit for doing what they have done getting the story on TV.  GRRM is the one that really screwed the pooch.  He wrote a good story in the first 3 books but set it up in a way that he will have to go back to traditional fantasy tropes to resolve the story in the end, which he doesn't want to do.  He has written himself into a corner and that's why he can't finish writing the books.  D&D have done their best to clean up the mess of characters and plotlines from book 4 and 5.  Their ending to the story might not be the best, but it will  be the only ending we ever get other than fanfiction.

This is a post from many years ago highlighting some of Martin's problems.
   Normally, when an arc ends, the author must use all his skill to deal with themes and answer questions, providing a satisfying conclusion to a promising idea that his readers watched grow. Or just kill off a character central to the conflict and bury the plot arc with him. Then you don't have to worry about closure, you can just hook your readers by focusing on the mess caused by the previous arc falling apart. Make the reader believe that things might get better, get them to believe in a character, then wave your arms in distraction, point and yell 'look at that terrible thing, over there!', and hope they become so caught up in worrying about the new problem that they forget the old one was never resolved.

Chaining false endings together creates perpetual tension that never requires solution--like in most soap operas--plus, the author never has to do the hard work of finishing what they started. If an author is lucky, they die before reaching the Final Conclusion the readership is clamoring for, and never have to meet the collective expectation which long years of deferral have built up.

Unlucky authors live to write the Final Book, breaking the spell of unending tension that kept their readers enthralled. Since the plot isn't resolving into a tight, intertwined conclusion (in fact, it's probably spiraling out of control, with ever more characters and scenes), the author must wrap things up conveniently and suddenly, leaving fans confused and upset... (actually, he'll probably do it anyways, with dragons--the longer the series goes on, the more it starts to resemble the cliche monomyth that Martin was praised for eschewing in the first place).
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1459299
Page / 358
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top