Site Notices
Page / 19
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 4:11:50 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 6/23/2014 6:07:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Boo! Is it that damn hard to get the slide stop right?

The slide stop on the Beretta 92 is perfect. The slides stop on the full size M&P and G17 are really good. The slide stops on the 1911, CZ 75, and 3rd Gen S&Ws are acceptable. The slide stop on the Sig P22X series is full of fail and AIDs.

It's starting to sound like the slide stop on this HK is less like the M&P and more like the Sig.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Larry Vickers - HK VP9 Range report - initial impressions

*snip*

D) a couple shooters had failures to lock the slide to the rear on an empty mag - in all cases traced back to grip placement. You will need to be aware of how you grip the VP9 as it seems the slightest interference with the slide stop and the slide will not lock back

E) as I suspected the slidestop is somewhat difficult to release using the support hand thumb due to the fact it is very low profile - several shooters commented on this; I would prefer more of a shelf to make manipulation easier

*snip*

- Larry Vickers

The slide stop on the Beretta 92 is perfect. The slides stop on the full size M&P and G17 are really good. The slide stops on the 1911, CZ 75, and 3rd Gen S&Ws are acceptable. The slide stop on the Sig P22X series is full of fail and AIDs.

It's starting to sound like the slide stop on this HK is less like the M&P and more like the Sig.

Interesting to read LAV's opinion on the slidestop.
I never use the slidestop to release on any of my handguns.  Have just always pulled back the slide to release.  Guess I follow Glocks' way of operation, which is why they call it a slidestop and not a slide release.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 7:11:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I never use the slidestop to release on any of my handguns.  Have just always pulled back the slide to release.  Guess I follow Glocks' way of operation, which is why they call it a slidestop and not a slide release.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*snip*

D) a couple shooters had failures to lock the slide to the rear on an empty mag - in all cases traced back to grip placement. You will need to be aware of how you grip the VP9 as it seems the slightest interference with the slide stop and the slide will not lock back

E) as I suspected the slidestop is somewhat difficult to release using the support hand thumb due to the fact it is very low profile - several shooters commented on this; I would prefer more of a shelf to make manipulation easier

*snip*

- Larry Vickers

When you pop a fresh mag in, isn't it easier to just hit the slide release?  But if it works for you, whatever floats your boat.

Maybe I'll pass on this then.  The PPQ slide release is good, easy to reach and easy to manipulate.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 7:46:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

When you pop a fresh mag in, isn't it easier to just hit the slide release?  But if it works for you, whatever floats your boat.

Maybe I'll pass on this then.  The PPQ slide release is good, easy to reach and easy to manipulate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*snip*

*snip*

- Larry Vickers

Just training consistency I guess.  Have learned to just do one consistent operation no matter the situation.

When I put a mag into my M&Ps most of the time they load themselves anyway
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 8:24:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

He's whatever he's being paid to be.

He did co-design the HK45, has some WC models named after him, was part of the Ken Hackathorn "1911 is an enthusiast pistol" interview debacle (Hackathorn has a 1911 WC named after him), and is being pressured to endorse the TEAM GLOCK party line because most of his customers are LEO's who are issued Glocks and don't want to hear that they should be shooting a 1911.

Every time the guy is on a web interview, lately, he's preaching the benefits of whatever platform he's being paid to endorse.

He may have forgotten more about what it means to be a badass than I will ever learn in my life, but I pay about as much attention to his gun endorsements as what kind of deodorant Michael Jordan uses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Vickers is an HK shill...

Except when he's shilling for Wilson Combat.

At any given time [insert HK product here] is the best, except when [insert 1911 WC product] is better.

I thought Vickers was a Glock guy...

He did co-design the HK45, has some WC models named after him, was part of the Ken Hackathorn "1911 is an enthusiast pistol" interview debacle (Hackathorn has a 1911 WC named after him), and is being pressured to endorse the TEAM GLOCK party line because most of his customers are LEO's who are issued Glocks and don't want to hear that they should be shooting a 1911.

Every time the guy is on a web interview, lately, he's preaching the benefits of whatever platform he's being paid to endorse.

He may have forgotten more about what it means to be a badass than I will ever learn in my life, but I pay about as much attention to his gun endorsements as what kind of deodorant Michael Jordan uses.

If he was being paid by as many companies that people have claimed over the years, he should be a billionaire by now.

Guy is on the record saying:

-All Glocks not in 9mm are turds (I'm sure Glock paid him a lot for that one, LOL)

-H&K heavily dicked-up the final execution of the HK45, Ken said the same I believe.

-Berettas are solid service pistols

-The new Walthers may be a better choice than Glocks

-Etc.

I haven't watched his recent web interviews, but the crazy shill claims have been pretty ridiculous for a guy who seems to pull no punches with his opinions.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 8:27:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
GOOD.

It is like a "sight tax" from other makers.  Sheesh!

The day you draw your Glock and realize you have managed to sheer off the front sight (or knock the rear sight in the dovetail over) is a bad one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't see this if it was posted but are the sights made out of metal?

I have Glocks and a Walther PPQ and I am getting really tired of plastic sights (ETA plastic sights I have to upgrade to metal, that is).

The sights are steel.

GOOD.

It is like a "sight tax" from other makers.  Sheesh!

The day you draw your Glock and realize you have managed to sheer off the front sight (or knock the rear sight in the dovetail over) is a bad one.
I've never minded this since I am particular about sights.  The factory sights will always get tossed, so even if the plastic ones save me $15 I'll take it.

Link Posted: 6/23/2014 9:29:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If he was being paid by as many companies that people have claimed over the years, he should be a billionaire by now.

-All Glocks not in 9mm are turds (I'm sure Glock paid him a lot for that one, LOL)
-H&K heavily dicked-up the final execution of the HK45, Ken said the same I believe.
-Etc.

I haven't watched his recent web interviews, but the crazy shill claims have been pretty ridiculous for a guy who seems to pull no punches with his opinions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At any given time [insert HK product here] is the best, except when [insert 1911 WC product] is better.

-Etc.

Exactly. He's a gun geek, plain and simple.

He gets to play with a lot of stuff, he loves lots of stuff, and while people pay to use his name he'll only let it be put on something he approves of.

Professional shooters are allowed to like guns too.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:39:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Hi new here. In the market and have been heavily researching the vp9. Saw a new video on American rifleman.  Check it out.
http://www.americanrifleman.org/mobile/video-player.php?pid=34333
Anyone notice anything funny when the guy in suit gets done dumping a mag through it?  The slide doesn't lock back   Seems to notice it but just finishes the video
Has me wondering
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:42:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hi new here. In the market and have been heavily researching the vp9. Saw a new video on American rifleman.  Check it out.
Anyone notice anything funny when the guy in suit gets done dumping a mag through it?  The slide doesn't lock back   Seems to notice it but just finishes the video
Has me wondering
View Quote

It's like this:

The magazine spring pushes the slide stop lever up on an empty mag.  If you rest your thumb or restrict the movement of the slide stop lever so the magazine spring can't push past the interference in the short amount of time the slide goes to the rear, the slide won't lock back.

A grip change can fix the problem.  And other people will say that the fat slide stop lever is the problem.

You can decide for yourself.  I decided to change my grip slightly and have felt no noticeable change in speed/control.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:42:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Has me wondering
View Quote

Been discussed a lot.  The slide stop is right underneath the thumb, so a normal grip will have you holding it down so the slide won't lock back.  You'll have to make an effort to move your thumb so as to not hold down the slide stop.  It's not the only demo video to show the same result, and is completely predictable from the location of the slide stop.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 1:11:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Been discussed a lot.  The slide stop is right underneath the thumb, so a normal grip will have you holding it down so the slide won't lock back.  You'll have to make an effort to move your thumb so as to not hold down the slide stop.  It's not the only demo video to show the same result, and is completely predictable from the location of the slide stop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Has me wondering

And is common among many of HK's offerings.

As a shocking rule of thumb... a slide stop that is very easy to reach is also... very easy to reach.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 1:21:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

As a shocking rule of thumb... a slide stop that is very easy to reach is also... very easy to reach.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Has me wondering

As a lefty, I'm laughing my ass off at all of you.  Finally, revenge on all of the righties who love Sig's slidestop design!  Hah hah! /Nelson
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 1:21:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately, I would have to agree with you.

I followed him on Facebook hoping to get a steady stream of good content, and it's basically a walking advertisement for whatever product he's shilling for lately.

I have no doubt he probably believes in what he pimps, but it's a known fact that when a company offers you rewards for using their products/recommending them, it clouds your judgment and makes the recipient feel "indebted" toward offering something in return, which is why physician-drug rep relationships are so heavily regulated now.

Someone called him out, saying there was little doubt he would give the VP9 a glowing review, and he got really butthurt about it and banned the guy . . . and then gave a glowing review. Having worked on two weapons systems for H&K, forgive me if I am a bit leery of his estimation of its merits as a handgun.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 1:22:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Has me wondering

The slide stop looks to be in the same spot as the P30

When I first got my P30 I did have the slide fail to lock back a few times. After I realized what was happening I raised my weak hand grip up slightly, and that fixed the problem. My weak hand thumb now rides in the grove on top of the rail, which leaves my palm right under the slide release, and my strong hand thumb high enough that it doesn't contact the release when it comes up

I'll probably be purchasing a VP9 as soon as they become available locally and I get a chance to check it out in person

Link Posted: 6/27/2014 2:12:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I followed him on Facebook hoping to get a steady stream of good content, and it's basically a walking advertisement for whatever product he's shilling for lately.

I have no doubt he probably believes in what he pimps, but it's a known fact that when a company offers you rewards for using their products/recommending them, it clouds your judgment and makes the recipient feel "indebted" toward offering something in return, which is why physician-drug rep relationships are so heavily regulated now.

Someone called him out, saying there was little doubt he would give the VP9 a glowing review, and he got really butthurt about it and banned the guy . . . and then gave a glowing review. Having worked on two weapons systems for H&K, forgive me if I am a bit leery of his estimation of its merits as a handgun.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe you can describe a few of the products that he's endorsed that are truly not worthy of a professional endorsement from a functional/quality point of view?
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 10:01:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Maybe you can describe a few of the products that he's endorsed that are truly not worthy of a professional endorsement from a functional/quality point of view?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You missed my point (and also this).

I don't have a problem with someone advertising a product they have a stake in (overt salesmanship), but I do have a problem with someone recommending products without explicitly stating that they are receiving some sort of financial renumeration or quid pro quo (covert salesmanship under the guise of a non-biased recommendation).
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 10:12:23 AM EDT
[#17]
A newish video of the VP9 in action is up on Youtube:

Competition shooter takes unfired VP9 from box and shoots very well, indeed. I was listening for his comments about the bore axis, but it seems to cause him no trouble (though I suspect a guy that good shoots most anything well). At any rate, it was fun to watch.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 10:32:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/2gFkcYECtx0

Competition shooter takes unfired VP9 from box and shoots very well, indeed. I was listening for his comments about the bore axis, but it seems to cause him no trouble (though I suspect a guy that good shoots most anything well). At any rate, it was fun to watch.
View Quote

I didn't see the slide not locking back and the same amount of muzzle flip as a G17.

Are we done now?
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 11:57:14 AM EDT
[#19]
V is for "value line" In VP9

Why does HK want to have cops buy their "value" I. E. Corners cut line?
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 12:02:23 PM EDT
[#20]
HK has many sexy guns/ & rifles, but this is not one them.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 12:06:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where's your proof, troll?
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 12:13:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I didn't see the slide not locking back and the same amount of muzzle flip as a G17.
Are we done now?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://youtu.be/2gFkcYECtx0

Are we done now?

Slide not locking back is at 9:15 in that video.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 12:14:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 12:14:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because unlike Glock, H&K has "higher end" models.

Glock's entire product line is the "cheap cutting corners" segment.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 12:32:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glock has higher end models

It's called all of them

Look at the corners of Glock slides......round

Nobody else does that.   They just cut right across

You have to get a Clarke customs melt job for $3000 to get that in 1911 land, and then It looks like a pos

I regularly carry a Glock IWB with a raven trigger guard cover.  

But I do it while running commando.    Just Glock on skin.

Very comfy!
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 12:34:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mercedes Benz C class = cheap class

Apple iPhone 5c = cheap iPhone c

HK VP9. = value line

Maybe it has a MIM barrel like S&W bodyguards?.    They should prove it's not with X-rays and spectropscopsy
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I don't need it to look sexy. I need it to cycle reliable, not fall apart, and shoot straight. It looks like it does those things just fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't need it to look sexy. I need it to cycle reliable, not fall apart, and shoot straight. It looks like it does those things just fine.

"Looks like"?

You can tell?

People were selling their Kahr's and shields when just a hint of the Remington r51 was a rumor.

Now those are falling apart and injuring owners.

It "looked good" too.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 12:37:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It's called all of them

View Quote

Yeah, nothing says "quality" like plastic sights that fall out if you look at them wrong.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 12:40:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Wow, so much hate for an HK. Tell me, where did the HK employees touch you?

Intellectual dishonesty is not your best attribute, man.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 12:41:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yeah, nothing says "quality" like plastic sights that fall out if you look at them wrong.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's called all of them

If they fell out when I looked at them, it would be helpful actually.

Save me some effort In immediately replacing them with Warrens

Too bad you have to hold your flashlight to your sights  to have "night sights" on HK.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bro I own HK's

They ain't all that

P7 is nice until you start shooting it.

USP 9 is a German Ruger P95 with a useless proprietary rail
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 12:47:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 12:51:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

HK does just fine. This is a striker fire version of their P30. The P30 works great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Looks like"?

You can tell?

People were selling their Kahr's and shields when just a hint of the Remington r51 was a rumor.

It "looked good" too.

HK does just fine. This is a striker fire version of their P30. The P30 works great.

Value line

Let's see how similar they are after a side by side detail strip

I bet there is a lot of MIM, stampings, and plastic
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 12:52:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Too bad you have to hold your flashlight to your sights  to have "night sights" on HK.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's called all of them

How can it be high end model if you have to immediately replace the sights? Do I need to immediately change the tires on Jag?
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 12:53:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Back when I was a dealer that was one of my biggest gripes with Glocks.  About one out of 20 or so, the front sight would literally be rattling around in the sealed factory case.  Sure, it was easy to replace, but why build a gun that is admittedly pretty damn near indestructible, and then put on stupid sights made out of stuff that isn't good enough to make action figures out of, attached in the stupidest way possible?  

I think the "night sight" boom of the late 90s is a direct result of sight replacement becoming so commonplace on Glocks.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 12:56:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 12:58:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

HK VP9. = value line

Maybe it has a MIM barrel like S&W bodyguards?.    They should prove it's not with X-rays and spectropscopsy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HK VP9. = value line

HK VP70.  From 1970.  Vollautomatische Pistole.  Fully Automatic Pistol.

VP9 is said to be named after that polymer framed, striker fired line.  Where's your proof, troll?
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Been hounding my distributors to get me one. They haven't seen any yet...
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 1:12:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

VP9 is said to be named after that polymer framed, striker fired line.  Where's your proof, troll?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HK VP9. = value line

Volkspistole - "People's Pistol"

That said so what if there's plastic, MIM, and stampings? If it works and last, then there's nothing wrong with that. MIM is a 4-letter word to some, who might not understand that MIM is a technique that done properly can yield very high quality parts.

If it runs like an HK, then it runs. Wanting an ejector hand-milled milled by a German with 75 years of experience is fine, but stamping works just as well.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

VP stands for "Volkspistole", it's the designation they've used for their polymer striker fired guns since 1970.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 1:16:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That said so what if there's plastic, MIM, and stampings? If it works and last, then there's nothing wrong with that. MIM is a 4-letter word to some, who might not understand that MIM is a technique that done properly can yield very high quality parts.

If it runs like an HK, then it runs. Wanting an ejector hand-milled milled by a German with 75 years of experience is fine, but stamping works just as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HK VP9. = value line

Cool!  I stand corrected.

Apologies.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

"Looks like"?

You can tell?

It "looked good" too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Looks like"?

You can tell?

It "looked good" too.

Except the R51 has had universally negative reviews, even from the professionals that are paid to like it. The only positive reviews were from a writers event where the guns were hand-built to work.

The VP9 has had nothing but universal praise from every reviewer that's touched it. That doesn't mean it's perfect, but it means that the R51 comparison is unwarranted.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 1:41:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's called all of them

Cool Aid rot's the brain, apparently.

Link Posted: 6/27/2014 1:42:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Except the R51 has had universally negative reviews, even from the professionals that are paid to like it. The only positive reviews were from a writers event where the guns were hand-built to work.

The VP9 has had nothing but universal praise from every reviewer that's touched it. That doesn't mean it's perfect, but it means that the R51 comparison is unwarranted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Looks like"?

You can tell?

It "looked good" too.

Which professional is paid to like the VP9?
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 1:45:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

< insert retarded shit >

View Quote

Fixed.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 1:46:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HK VP9. = value line

People's pistol is the epitome of "value line"

It's not even aspirational.  It's just populist.  Like a model T or ford Taurus or a Lada or makarov

This must be the year of good brands moving down market.

First AAC

Now HK

Even MB had that silly little front drive shitbox now
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 2:00:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It's not even aspirational.  It's just populist.  Like a model T or ford Taurus or a Lada or makarov

First AAC

Now HK

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HK VP9. = value line

First AAC

Now HK

I can't tell if you're an elitist or just obtuse
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 2:05:59 PM EDT
[#48]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's called all of them

http://www.glockforum.net/forum/attachments/glock-talk-discussion/4054d1399578019-gen-5-s-kool-aid-glock.jpg

The Cool Aid man must be high quality, too!  Because it has round edges.  Nobody else does round edges!

Link Posted: 6/27/2014 2:19:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The Cool Aid man must be high quality, too!  Because it has round edges.  Nobody else does round edges!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's called all of them

http://www.glockforum.net/forum/attachments/glock-talk-discussion/4054d1399578019-gen-5-s-kool-aid-glock.jpg

Every other pistol chaffes
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 2:24:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Edited to note that the VP9 "peoples" pistol is cheaper in price than their other models, but still slightly more expensive than other striker fired pistols. I would surmise that the VP9 lower cost than their other pistols is because there are less parts to machine than non striker fired pistols. HK is passing on cost to the consumer and if the VP9 is as good as it seems, HK will see an increase in LE sales.

Page / 19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top