Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 15
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 2:02:10 AM EDT
[#1]
The FJ SHOULD have looked closer to this.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 2:44:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have 3 Landcruisers, 2 80s and a 100. I’m not the least bit confused as to what a CDL is or why it’s needed. On a part time 4wd vehicle it’s not, period. On a full time 4wd vehicle it locks the viscous coupler that allows differentiation between front and rear axle speeds on road. My built 80 series has front, center, and rear factory lockers, and they get used. I know exactly what they do and when to use them.
View Quote

Sorry, I wasn’t insinuating you didn’t know how to use your four wheel drive—and I mistakenly lumped the 5th gen in with 4th gen. I was just pointing out that the non-full time four wheel drive 4th gen, and the full time 4th and 5th gen 4runners, as well as LCs and 460s all have an electrically actuated CDL.   And I’m not claiming to its necessity (in the part time V-6 4th gen T-case) just that it has it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 6:55:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yeah, and only a subset of people take their hellcat up to 160mph. The way I see it, the only types of offroading most people actually care about are overlanding on medium trails and crawling over difficult rocks and obstacles. Fast desert racing can be done in 2WD.

Ford needs a SFA on at least one trim level of Bronco or it will die like the FJ . It will be viewed as another "amost made it." I guarantee if the limited trail team addition FJC came out with a SFA it would be here today.  
View Quote

Fast desert racing is what Ford has built the Raptor image around......and it's done very well. Your average truck/suv enthusiast has started to realize that a quick vehicle, with decent handling and suspension is much more fun on a daily basis than a really capable offroad rig. Anyone can find some shitty dirt roads to tear up, only a small portion of drivers have quick access to mountains and canyons.

I've said from the beginning, that the only way the Bronco will sell, is if they offer it as a more luxurious, faster, better handling Wrangler. Forget articulation, it needs a Raptor edition with serious power and suspension. They won't be able to keep them on the lots.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 10:12:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Pretty good video covering a lot of details about whats coming out.

LEAKED! The 2021 Ford Bronco Will Have 7-Speed Manual With A Crawler Gear & Front And Rear Lockers!
LEAKED! The 2021 Ford Bronco Will Have 7-Speed Manual With A Crawler Gear & Front And Rear Lockers!
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 10:14:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Like I said earlier in the thread, I don't think you will see an IFS locker offered by Ford. This might be one that could be fitted, depending on how the Bronco is spec'd: https://www.stage3motorsports.com/RD219-2019-2020-Ford-Ranger-ARB-Air-Locker-Locking-Front-Differential-IFS-29-Spline.html  ...however, not everyone thinks they are such a good idea: https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/131-0606-front-locking-differentials/
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’d wait for the raptor version to answer that one. I would guess lockers F&R, factory lift, larger tires, probably lower diff gearing. Still IFS though, so it’ll never be a direct competitor.

The new Bronco will never have a front locker.

You think IFS vehicles can’t have front lockers or something?

Like I said earlier in the thread, I don't think you will see an IFS locker offered by Ford. This might be one that could be fitted, depending on how the Bronco is spec'd: https://www.stage3motorsports.com/RD219-2019-2020-Ford-Ranger-ARB-Air-Locker-Locking-Front-Differential-IFS-29-Spline.html  ...however, not everyone thinks they are such a good idea: https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/131-0606-front-locking-differentials/

Apparently it is coming wit both front and rear lockers at least, there will be an option for them.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 10:14:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Pretty good video covering a lot of details about whats coming out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iDyHmANgio
View Quote

Isn’t that the same vid from several pages back? Where we got the interior pics and seven speed info?
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 10:16:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Isn’t that the same vid from several pages back? Where we got the interior pics and seven speed info?
View Quote

Yeah shit sorry, I didn't read the whole thread and should have.  I'll go back into my basement.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 10:16:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The FJ had some pretty major drawbacks, and the lack of SFA wasn't even close to being on the radar for a meaningful number of potential buyers.

It was expensive, it was relatively impractical, the engine had a shockingly bad combination of poor efficiency and low power, and the design didn't age well at all. Also, the visibility was surprisingly bad. And then there was that whole Great Recession thing with $4 per gallon gas.

And the whole time Toyota built the FJ, they also built the 4Runner which was more or less the same vehicle in a much more practical layout.
View Quote

I agree, the whole idea that the FJ "failed" because of IFS is retarded. I would wager a guess that well over 50% of SUV buyers don't even know the difference between IFS and SFA or have any clue what their SUV has?

I don't even really agree with the notion that the FJ failed per say but I think the reason it didn't cut into Jeep sales more than anything else is the fact that it did not have a removable top.

90% of SUV owners never go off-road (assuming you don't count grass fields or smooth dirt roads as "off-roading") and most of the remaining 10% aren't rock crawling or taking 4-5 rated trails.

There are 2 main reasons IMO why Wranglers sell like they do... #1 Its an American Icon but most importantly is #2 They can go doorless and topless. That's what really separates them from everything else on the market and that's their appeal for most buyers. I know that's the biggest reason I ever wanted one and what I love about the original Broncos and FJ-40's. If the modern FJ was more like the original FJ40 in that regard, they would have done much better IMO
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 10:29:41 AM EDT
[#9]

If that's what's coming, I will buy one in a few years. Otherwise it'll be a Rubicon or small chance of a 4Runner.

I want the Bronco to be the real deal. I need solid axles and lockers.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 10:30:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I agree, the whole idea that the FJ "failed" because of IFS is retarded. I would wager a guess that well over 50% of SUV buyers don't even know the difference between IFS and SFA or have any clue what their SUV has?

I don't even really agree with the notion that the FJ failed per say but I think the reason it didn't cut into Jeep sales more than anything else is the fact that it did not have a removable top.

90% of SUV owners never go off-road (assuming you don't count grass fields or smooth dirt roads as "off-roading") and most of the remaining 10% aren't rock crawling or taking 4-5 rated trails.

There are 2 main reasons IMO why Wranglers sell like they do... #1 Its an American Icon but most importantly is #2 They can go doorless and topless. That's what really separates them from everything else on the market and that's their appeal for most buyers. I know that's the biggest reason I ever wanted one and what I love about the original Broncos and FJ-40's. If the modern FJ was more like the original FJ40 in that regard, they would have done much better IMO
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The FJ had some pretty major drawbacks, and the lack of SFA wasn't even close to being on the radar for a meaningful number of potential buyers.

It was expensive, it was relatively impractical, the engine had a shockingly bad combination of poor efficiency and low power, and the design didn't age well at all. Also, the visibility was surprisingly bad. And then there was that whole Great Recession thing with $4 per gallon gas.

And the whole time Toyota built the FJ, they also built the 4Runner which was more or less the same vehicle in a much more practical layout.

I would say you are being gracious with 50%, way more than that dont know the difference between IFS and SFA.  Look at trucks, 90% of buyers dont know what gears they have, hell some dont even know if they have 4x4 (and there is a sticker on the side of the bed).  Many many many car owners/buyer are ignorant to engines, lockers, etc. They know things like fancy infotainment, phone connections, interior features, and it looks cool/pretty, etc.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I couldnt agree more.  The wrangler always kicks out the completion because there isnt any topless competition.  Even they wrangler purchasers that drive around with hard tops that have never been taken off were likely swayed by the "possibility of going topless."
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 1:24:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Apparently it is coming wit both front and rear lockers at least, there will be an option for them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’d wait for the raptor version to answer that one. I would guess lockers F&R, factory lift, larger tires, probably lower diff gearing. Still IFS though, so it’ll never be a direct competitor.

Yes, I was wrong and am shocked that Ford managed to (assuming the leak is true) spec an IFS locker from Dana. This makes me really look forward to write-ups on how well it performs. I am hoping for some good videos of the new Bronco being put through its paces along side a Wrangler Rubicon to see how it does. Real competition is cool.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 1:32:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Someone did a photoshop of a 4Runner on IG a couple of weeks back and I can't get the idea out of my head.

Attachment Attached File

A roof chop with the back window moved to where the back seats are and maybe some half doors.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 1:49:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't think IFS is the problem with the FJ or 4Runner. The problem IMO is lack of power. A turbo diesel would give it the low end torque it desperately needs off road. It's 2020 and Toyota is selling a 4Runner with an almost 20 year old motor in it. There are production 4 cylinder engines that are putting out similar numbers. It's inexcusable especially when a TRD or TRD Pro is almost 50K. That is what Toyota is missing here. Right now their only competition is the Wrangler. They are able to steal market share away from the Wrangler because the Wrangler isn't as reliable, its loud inside, hot in the summer, cold in the winter and I haven't seen a Wrangler yet that didn't leak is some form or another within a few years of ownership. In contrast the 4Runner is reliable, comfortable and still capable. If Ford can make the Bronco the best of both of these worlds Toyota and Jeep are in trouble if they don't start innovating right now. Especially if it proves popular because I wouldn't be surprised if GM didn't get in on this in some fashion as well. A modern K5 would be

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/73787/IMG_0653_JPG-1458213.JPG
View Quote

LOL, GM already shot their wad on a dumb assed blazer remake. Its a disappointment like every thing they make
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 2:01:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If that's what's coming, I will buy one in a few years. Otherwise it'll be a Rubicon or small chance of a 4Runner.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well, you'd be getting 75% of that request.

Plenty of photos already show it's IFS in the front. Most recent leak shows lockers F&R are at least an option.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 2:26:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes, I was wrong and am shocked that Ford managed to (assuming the leak is true) spec an IFS locker from Dana. This makes me really look forward to write-ups on how well it performs. I am hoping for some good videos of the new Bronco being put through its paces along side a Wrangler Rubicon to see how it does. Real competition is cool.
View Quote

I don't find it that shocking. It's definitely not common (ZR2 and H3 are the only IFS vehicles with F&R lockers I can think of off the top of my head) but if Ford was going to do one this is the truck to do it in.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Someone did a photoshop of a 4Runner on IG a couple of weeks back and I can't get the idea out of my head.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/73787/IMG_8061_JPG-1460017.JPG

A roof chop with the back window moved to where the back seats are and maybe some half doors.
View Quote

Looks like the Toyota version of an Explorer Sport Trac.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 12:14:03 AM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 6/14/2020 12:23:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Fast desert racing is what Ford has built the Raptor image around......and it's done very well. Your average truck/suv enthusiast has started to realize that a quick vehicle, with decent handling and suspension is much more fun on a daily basis than a really capable offroad rig. Anyone can find some shitty dirt roads to tear up, only a small portion of drivers have quick access to mountains and canyons.

I've said from the beginning, that the only way the Bronco will sell, is if they offer it as a more luxurious, faster, better handling Wrangler. Forget articulation, it needs a Raptor edition with serious power and suspension. They won't be able to keep them on the lots.
View Quote
You should probably tell Chrysler to stop making Wranglers.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 11:28:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

LOL, GM already shot their wad on a dumb assed blazer remake. Its a disappointment like every thing they make
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think IFS is the problem with the FJ or 4Runner. The problem IMO is lack of power. A turbo diesel would give it the low end torque it desperately needs off road. It's 2020 and Toyota is selling a 4Runner with an almost 20 year old motor in it. There are production 4 cylinder engines that are putting out similar numbers. It's inexcusable especially when a TRD or TRD Pro is almost 50K. That is what Toyota is missing here. Right now their only competition is the Wrangler. They are able to steal market share away from the Wrangler because the Wrangler isn't as reliable, its loud inside, hot in the summer, cold in the winter and I haven't seen a Wrangler yet that didn't leak is some form or another within a few years of ownership. In contrast the 4Runner is reliable, comfortable and still capable. If Ford can make the Bronco the best of both of these worlds Toyota and Jeep are in trouble if they don't start innovating right now. Especially if it proves popular because I wouldn't be surprised if GM didn't get in on this in some fashion as well. A modern K5 would be

Disappointment is a good word for most of GM's choices in recent years.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 11:54:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because options suck right?

The Wrangler will always have a following, that doesn't mean it's the best choice for everyone's needs/wants. What I said was that the Bronco had to offer something different and improve on some of the weaknesses if Ford cares to own a share of the market.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 1:28:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The Wrangler will always have a following, that doesn't mean it's the best choice for everyone's needs/wants. What I said was that the Bronco had to offer something different and improve on some of the weaknesses if Ford cares to own a share of the market.
View Quote

I want a Wrangler that tracks worth a damn on the highway and if ifs is the only way that can happen sign me up for a Bronco. The concept of solid axles are superior to ifs is great but in the real world I once led (in a tj) a couple of Kia Sportages all over the most difficult off road park in Indiana and maybe the Midwest, and we did anything that wouldn’t cause body damage and they made it through everything. I was surprised at the time because ifs is no good off road but the truth is it works well enough for 95% of off road conditions and is superior on road and in higher speed off roading.

The secret of the Wrangler is not the front suspension. It is the convertible with removable doors, and it doesn’t look like a round blob like everything else on the road. I see way more of them running down the road with top and doors off than I see off-road. SxS are taking over off-road anyway and they are ifs/irs. Ford is better off making sure that Bronco can trailer a SxS to the off-road park with the top off than engineering up a solid front axle. Just watch the reviews it will get. You are going to hear things like it is a much better choice for all the wrangler buyers that just want a convertible that can go places in mud and snow but still drive normal on the road. Good luck buying one for less than msrp the first year of production.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 2:52:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I want a Wrangler that tracks worth a damn on the highway .......
View Quote

Before you show us on the doll where the jeep touched you, did you have a bad experience with a stock jeep or one with aftermarket suspension? How old was the jeep and what gen?
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 2:57:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I want a Wrangler that tracks worth a damn on the highway and if ifs is the only way that can happen sign me up for a Bronco. The concept of solid axles are superior to ifs is great but in the real world I once led (in a tj) a couple of Kia Sportages all over the most difficult off road park in Indiana and maybe the Midwest, and we did anything that wouldn’t cause body damage and they made it through everything. I was surprised at the time because ifs is no good off road but the truth is it works well enough for 95% of off road conditions and is superior on road and in higher speed off roading.

The secret of the Wrangler is not the front suspension. It is the convertible with removable doors, and it doesn’t look like a round blob like everything else on the road. I see way more of them running down the road with top and doors off than I see off-road. SxS are taking over off-road anyway and they are ifs/irs. Ford is better off making sure that Bronco can trailer a SxS to the off-road park with the top off than engineering up a solid front axle. Just watch the reviews it will get. You are going to hear things like it is a much better choice for all the wrangler buyers that just want a convertible that can go places in mud and snow but still drive normal on the road. Good luck buying one for less than msrp the first year of production.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Solid front axles don’t have to suck. I have an 80 series landcruiser and a 100 series. One is solid axle, one is IFS. The solid axle model is lifted correctly, with appropriate caster correction and alignment. It also has springs and shocks that are far better than stock, and the shocks are adjustable. It drives on the highway just as well as the IFS 100 series, though maybe I have to slow down a bit more on washboard and other rutted/nasty stuff. A properly designed, set up, and aligned solid front axle is no problem at all, plenty of one ton and larger vehicles run them for millions upon millions of miles a year.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 3:09:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

99% they are Eaton lockers like everyone else uses. Of course Eaton is very proud of their equipment so expect the trim including those to be priced at an appropriate premium.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 3:13:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah GM ruined the Blazer name. They have a habit of doing that.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 4:56:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

99% they are Eaton lockers like everyone else uses. Of course Eaton is very proud of their equipment so expect the trim including those to be priced at an appropriate premium.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm. Well, it's going to be fun to find out all the details and then see the thing put through its paces. I always liked Broncos and K5 Blazers and Jeeps.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 4:58:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Before you show us on the doll where the jeep touched you, did you have a bad experience with a stock jeep or one with aftermarket suspension? How old was the jeep and what gen?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want a Wrangler that tracks worth a damn on the highway .......

Good question. My JK is just fine on the highway, up to and including speeds where I would immediately get a ticket if spotted, although the Jeep being the wrong tool for that, it is a vanishingly rare occurrence.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:56:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Apparently, July 9th is O.J. Simpson's birthday.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:59:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
yeah saw that on MSN
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 11:00:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

At least one reveal model better be white.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

100% agree with this.  The ZR2 and the new C8 are noted exceptions, but the new Silverado is horrible, and while the GMC looks better on the outside, and the AT4 package is pretty nice, the interior is still VERY dated and looks no better than the prior refresh some 7 years ago.  The Blazer was a horribly bad idea destined for failure.  No one is paying $50k for that.  If you're in that performance SUV market, the Germans do it MUCH better.  (Yes, i know the price point is higher, but what you're getting for your money at least makes it worth what you're paying)

Meanwhile, Ford and Ram are turning heads.  Like their brands or not, they're taking chances and making things that are getting people excited.

ETA: Should say FCA, not Ram, since Jeep also needs to be included in that conversation with the Gladiator, especially the diesel version.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:09:23 PM EDT
[#33]
I want the full size options

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 10:01:43 AM EDT
[#34]
I saw a camouflaged 2 door version out running the roads south of Denver International a couple weeks ago. I wish I would have snapped some pictures.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 12:20:27 PM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 6/19/2020 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

“Unintentional”.

Can’t believe they pussed out and changed the date.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 11:02:56 AM EDT
[#37]
2 door and Sport spotted in the wild.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/20/2020 11:11:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Wow that 2-door looks great
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 11:17:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn right it does, they’re going to sell a bunch of them!
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 11:22:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree that it looks great, aside from things the blurriness might obscure (I don't know that there is anything).

I think they will sell some, regardless, but they won't sell any real volume unless it is priced correctly. I believe the "correct" price would be something below the base price for a Wrangler 2-door. Agree? Disagree?
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 11:23:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Those windows, especially the rear qtrs look squatty like the h2
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 11:42:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I agree that it looks great, aside from things the blurriness might obscure (I don't know that there is anything).

I think they will sell some, regardless, but they won't sell any real volume unless it is priced correctly. I believe the "correct" price would be something below the base price for a Wrangler 2-door. Agree? Disagree?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t think there is any way it’ll be priced that low. Most Americans would rather buy Ford than anything made by Chrysler/Fiat. This will be the hot new thing for quite some time, and hardcore jeep people are never going to buy it anyway. I have no idea on pricing but I’d bet it’s comparable to jeep, if not slightly higher across the board, when the initial sales start to slow they’ll just throw incentives at it, it’s the big 3 way.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
If they can price them similar to the Ranger it will do great.  The problem is I bet they'll go for full msrp for the first year or two.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 1:57:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 2:06:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 11:58:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#47]
So why do the headlights look like a pair of power button symbols on their side?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/6/2020 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Getting closer...

Here's most of the 2 door as if we haven't seen leaks already.

And just in case anyone is still confused about the different models:
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#49]
That just goes along with what I've been saying. They are going to market this to the "high speed desert" crowd and overlanders. Claiming mustang DNA in that ad really has me hoping they are running a hotter engine than the ranger.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#50]
After seeing the 2dr and hearing about a possible 2.7eb Raptor version...I can't wait.
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top