Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:54:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Unhoused.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:03:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pics of alcove and gate?

Any way to close off the alcove at night?
View Quote

I can't close it off .
There wouldn't be enough room.i have one of those very large multiple house serving trash cans that sticks out past the alcove
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I don't think giving blow jobs to the homeless is going to work?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:41:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Unfortunately, you can't get away with doing what should be done.

Probably the best you can do is hose down the gate with an irritant, so maybe your shitter will decide to lean up somewhere else after experiencing the effects.
However, retaliation is a thing, and that guy will likely get away with whatever he does to you.

Your only real life option is to either live with it while complaining incessantly to the local authorities, who will likely do nothing of substance, or start making plans to move yourself away from the problem, which may prove to be only a temporary solution if you don't move far enough.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:43:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Consetina wire?
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:45:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For the record Texas law on devices. I dunno why this pasted backwards.

Sec. 9.44.  USE OF DEVICE TO PROTECT PROPERTY.  The justification afforded by Sections 9.41 and 9.43 applies to the use of a device to protect land or tangible, movable property if:

(1) the device is not designed to cause, or known by the actor to create a substantial risk of causing, death or serious bodily injury; and

(2)  use of the device is reasonable under all the circumstances as the actor reasonably believes them to be when he installs the device.

View Quote

Electricity?
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:47:31 AM EDT
[#7]
We don't have homeless problems here on our 55 acres.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:50:25 AM EDT
[#8]
What about a motion activated water hose?
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:54:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I would start by putting up security cameras and finding out who the shitter is, then take appropriate action.
If you can put up some motion-activated lighting, just keep the cameras and lighting out of reach as best you can and enjoy the show.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 12:02:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Wyze sells a cheap security camera that can have lights on it. Motion activated, adjustable. If every time the shitter approached the gate, light would shine down on him, perhaps he would seek other places.

Several options here: https://www.wyze.com/collections/lighting-cameras

I don't have any of the ones with the lights but I have a number of their cameras around my place, all with micro SD cards in them to record incidents. Some can be panned from your phone as you look at a live stream (assuming you have wifi). The cameras are far better than the price would indicate. Some have (invisible) IR lights for night shooting.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 12:04:01 PM EDT
[#12]
When homeless people go missing typically nobody goes looking for them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 12:05:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
For the record Texas law on devices. I dunno why this pasted backwards.

Sec. 9.44.  USE OF DEVICE TO PROTECT PROPERTY.  The justification afforded by Sections 9.41 and 9.43 applies to the use of a device to protect land or tangible, movable property if:

(1) the device is not designed to cause, or known by the actor to create a substantial risk of causing, death or serious bodily injury; and

(2)  use of the device is reasonable under all the circumstances as the actor reasonably believes them to be when he installs the device.

View Quote

That being said….

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

And STFU
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 12:15:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Shit all round the area so they stomp in your shit whilst trying to shit their own shit.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 12:21:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Just get some outdoor speakers and blast classical music.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 12:27:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Harbor Freight has quite a few inexpensive solar powered motion detector lights.  They also have a battery powered alert system with an alarm.  Probably best to put the alarm near the gate.  You probably don't really care about catching a particular person, just making the area uncomfortable for anyone.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 12:45:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Razor wire
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 12:47:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Some of these mentally ill homeless people have University degrees.
Some of them even have valuable STEM degrees. But being severely
depressed, psychotic, paranoid, severe anxiety combined with self-medicating
using street drugs while not taking the prescription medications they should
be taking make it very difficult to find and keep a good job.

The people living on the street are not the ones who chose to study English Literature rather than Electrical Engineering.

On a lighter note, as an Aggie I used to joke with my kids about tripping over UT Professors when walking down 6th Street.  Unfortunately it is no longer a laughing matter.
View Quote

The disconnect between your fantasy and the reality of the real bum population is amazing.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 12:54:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The disconnect between your fantasy and the reality of the real bum population is amazing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some of these mentally ill homeless people have University degrees.
Some of them even have valuable STEM degrees. But being severely
depressed, psychotic, paranoid, severe anxiety combined with self-medicating
using street drugs while not taking the prescription medications they should
be taking make it very difficult to find and keep a good job.

The people living on the street are not the ones who chose to study English Literature rather than Electrical Engineering.

On a lighter note, as an Aggie I used to joke with my kids about tripping over UT Professors when walking down 6th Street.  Unfortunately it is no longer a laughing matter.

We found common ground John.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 12:58:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Get a bottle of Ortho Orthene fire ant powder and sprinkle around the area.  That stuff smells terrible and I bet he'll move on.  Doesn't take much either.  Once every week or two would probably be sufficient.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 1:05:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Welcome to Freedom without Responsibility. This is what half of the conservatives on this site want. Think I’m wrong? Suggest a government action that would stop or prevent this kind of thing from starting. You’ll be branded a statist tyrant.

You have to allow homeless drug addicts to shit along your property line, or you hate freedom. Why do you hate freedom, OP?
View Quote

Idk about this.  I'd think something like this would be better handled at the neighborhood level.  Noone (some people do) wants this crap around their house
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 1:10:55 PM EDT
[#22]
However, even if you manage to keep them from shitting at your place, they'll just walk 20 feet further and shit there.  So that doesn't actually fix anything, unless you have a more comprehensive solution
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 1:17:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Find who is doing it. Ask then where they live and what they own.

Buy them the cheapest lunch possible and bud light.

Get a truck, load them/stuff in the bed, and take them to the furthest shelter you can travel.

Or preferably where the most fentanyl deaths occur.
Let nature run its course quicker.

I’m serious.

It is the cheapest/quickest (possibly final) solution.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 1:20:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Consetina wire?
View Quote

Fuggin A. Give me some T pickets, some gauntlets, a multi tool and a shit ton of consentina wire. Homeless won't be a problem anymore.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 1:23:45 PM EDT
[#25]
"...Calling police would be a waste of time..."

How do you know this without actually calling them and seeing how they respond?
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 1:27:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Pink dye pack, glitter, glue bomb w/skunk spray
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 1:28:33 PM EDT
[#27]
What about something built and shaped sort of like a soccer goal, except with barbed/concertina wire that could be placed in front of the gate and secured every night?
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 1:33:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Edit.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 1:33:49 PM EDT
[#29]
You got what you voted for
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 1:42:28 PM EDT
[#30]
The free range insane asylum idea isn’t working. Time to build Mental Institutions to house them, and treat them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 1:47:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You got what you voted for
View Quote

Says the New Yorker
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 1:50:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Have you considered just telling him he's done shitting on your gate face to face?
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 1:56:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Their probably going there due to darkness so why not light the area up with a few high mounted solar powered flood lights and an inexpensive camera?

EDTA: Here's an inexpensive (2 pack) from Wally World:

Lights
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 3:02:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You have someone shitting by your gate.  

Repeatedly.

Your neighborhood isn't "nice"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My neighborhood is nice .

About a half mile away a outpatient drug rehab opened last year and the problems started

You have someone shitting by your gate.  

Repeatedly.

Your neighborhood isn't "nice"

Not true.  This is happening in places previously thought to be immune to it.  
My colleagues live in homes costing millions, and unless you are in a gated, patrolled community this can happen.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Water always wins. Always.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 3:14:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Motion detector connected to water hoses/sprinkler system.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#37]
You need to shit there first to mark your territory.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Unfortunately, it's not my fantasy. It is the reality I am currently facing in my family. You see it as a "bum" issue. I see it as a mental health issue. Perhaps it is a little of both.

And my original comments in this thread were that a mentally ill person crapping on your fence does not give you the right to use deadly force. Not that they shouldn't be doing this. Not that it is okay.  

I'm sure as a retired University police officer you have dealt with a lot more homeless people and mentally ill than most of us will ever see. Do you think these people should be shot? Or set on fire as someone a few posts up suggested?

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/4/2023 3:40:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Motion sensor hooked up to a yard sprinkler. Works wonders.

Put up a sign that says automated watering to help control dust in the air.

Looks like I was beat by 20 minutes.

Seriously it works well. Don't get an agressive sprinkler. One of the ones like this is great.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/S/aplus-media/vc/cd36a786-2950-4f55-a4a4-ef5af5089a96.jpg
View Quote
This seems to be the best idea here
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Get one of those motion detecting sprinklers.
I saw a video where people kept pissing on the backdoor of a guys business. It was in an alley. He plumbed a pipe that was pointing down in the area that was used for pissing. He also put a hidden camera so he could monitor. There are several videos of guys coming up to pee and get blasted with water. I think he even had a sign that said there is a drain that could activate at anytime so stay clear.
View Quote

Great idea but word might get out about the "free shower" at Oppie's place.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 4:09:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Unfortunately, it's not my fantasy. It is the reality I am currently facing in my family. You see it as a "bum" issue. I see it as a mental health issue. Perhaps it is a little of both.

And my original comments in this thread were that a mentally ill person crapping on your fence does not give you the right to use deadly force. Not that they shouldn't be doing this. Not that it is okay.  

I'm sure as a retired University police officer you have dealt with a lot more homeless people and mentally ill than most of us will ever see. Do you think these people should be shot? Or set on fire as someone a few posts up suggested?

View Quote

I have never been a university police officer.  Myself, I'd go for mandatory work camps, sort of a modern version of the CCC.  Get some good out of them before their liver/heart gives out.

The education of your average bum is irrevelant. They are either addicts, drunks or some combination of that mixed with mental illness. Having a degree just means it's a bum that can hopefully, write a coherent paragraph.

Oh, and stop simping for the mentally ill. They will stab you just as fast as the drunks and addicts will. Street life is violent as hell.  Only the ones that learn to  be violent survive for very long.

Want to cure the homeless problem?  Ban the sale of take out alcohol.  Your bum problem would migrate so fast it would look like rats bailing out of a sinking ship.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 4:18:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Some sort of area denial objects might work. Larger jagged rocks that are awkward to stand on or some sort of prickly bush along with a motion light that they can’t reach should work. Make it no longer the best place to hang out
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 4:18:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Idk about this.  I'd think something like this would be better handled at the neighborhood level.  Noone (some people do) wants this crap around their house
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Welcome to Freedom without Responsibility. This is what half of the conservatives on this site want. Think I’m wrong? Suggest a government action that would stop or prevent this kind of thing from starting. You’ll be branded a statist tyrant.

You have to allow homeless drug addicts to shit along your property line, or you hate freedom. Why do you hate freedom, OP?

Of course no one wants this around their house. That's my point. There comes a point where "you do you and I'll do me" and "MYOB" results in a bum shitting outside your gate. You either learn to live with it, or accept the government - even at a very local level - restraining some personal behavior.

Too many people want to "get both." (Total freedom and a safe/clean society) Human behavior doesn't work that way, which is where the phrase "freedom is scary" really comes from. We like to think it just means that Karen will have to tolerate you carring a scary gun in the grocery store. But in this case it means OP gets to clean shit off his walkway every day. The only way to stop it infringes on the bum's freedoms. Since "our side" seems to have taken a zero-tolerence stand on that, under any circumstances, I guess we're stuck with the shit.

Link Posted: 9/4/2023 4:26:09 PM EDT
[#44]
When they are gone during the day, spray some pepper spray in the grass where they have been staying at night.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 4:45:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Super soaker full of mercaptan.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 4:50:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Movement controlled audio speaker that plays some annoying song when he is nearby
View Quote

Play Gregorian chant or Pentecostal church hymns. Best documented way to get the demented to leave.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#48]
A few things work here.  

Lawn sprinklers, especially if they're motion activated.  I've seen great success with this at one location.

Noise.  A barking dog does wonders but then you've got a barking dog.

Lights.  Make sure they're in hardened fixtures.  

Your best bet would be a motion activated tiger cage.  Hobo walks down the alley.  Sensor trips the cage.  Hobo meets cat, our cat...  But then you have to figure out a way to get it back into the cage.  Maybe a laser pointer and a squeaky mouse?

Link Posted: 9/4/2023 5:06:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Electric fencing. To keep out raccoons and other vermin. G3t one of the adjustable output boxes. We had a huge Holsein bull that would knock over fencing to get out. One hit from that unit and he wouldn't come within 10 yards of any fence around the farm.
Get one if the 4000 volt output units. That will get their attention real quick.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 5:07:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Do you live in a big metro area with a homeless population? Could it possibly be an angry neighbor? And have you thought about putting up security cameras to see if you can catch the perpetrator? That might get the attention of the police if you can establish a pattern so they know when to stake out your home to watch for the criminal.
View Quote

Lol they ain't staking out shit.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top