Link Posted: 12/27/2019 10:51:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 10:56:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tacoma FTW
View Quote
You mean the “truck” with rear drums and a non-fully boxed frame and modified car engine that costs as much as a full-size?

Pass.

Sounds like it’s the ideal vehicle for those that tie their worth to what vehicle they drive.

Screen name does not check out
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 11:00:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You mean the "truck" with rear drums and a non-fully boxed frame and modified car engine that costs as much as a full-size?

Pass.

Sounds like it's the ideal vehicle for those that tie their worth to what vehicle they drive.
View Quote
Ah yes, the same old tired excuses to hate the Tacoma. Surely if the same garbage keeps getting parroted it will be accurate one day!
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 11:02:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Tacoma ain't the Hilux.

No matter how much Taco fan bois want it to be.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 11:21:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ah yes, the same old tired excuses to hate the Tacoma. Surely if the same garbage keeps getting parroted it will be accurate one day!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean the "truck" with rear drums and a non-fully boxed frame and modified car engine that costs as much as a full-size?

Pass.

Sounds like it's the ideal vehicle for those that tie their worth to what vehicle they drive.
I guess if you can’t counter the verifiable facts I presented, you could just call them excuses. At least those are honest Toyota issues. Perhaps if I had mentioned the frame rusting issue (which I honestly don’t blame Toyota ), more triggering might have resulted.

I used to like Tacos. I’ve owned two Tacos. Both second gen. The first one was great, except for it not having 4x4. The second, which I intended to keep forever and ordered it exactly how I wanted it, was such a disappointment I got rid of it after a year. New vehicles shouldn’t have orange peel paint. Or have More engine noise coming through the engine bay than a 1st year model. Nor should a vehicle that expensive have a windshield that sounds like a kazoo while driving in windy conditions.  Or cruise control that acts like it was designed in the 70’s. So much for “ironing out manufacturing issues” ten model years apart.

That’s my experience with them.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 11:39:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I guess if you can't counter the verifiable facts I presented, you could just call them excuses. At least those are honest Toyota issues. Perhaps if I had mentioned the frame rusting issue (which I honestly don't blame Toyota ), more triggering might have resulted.

I used to like Tacos. I've owned two Tacos. Both second gen. The first one was great, except for it not having 4x4. The second, which I intended to keep forever and ordered it exactly how I wanted it, was such a disappointment I got rid of it after a year. New vehicles shouldn't have orange peel paint. Or have More engine noise coming through the engine bay than a 1st year model. Nor should a vehicle that expensive have a windshield that sounds like a kazoo while driving in windy conditions.  Or cruise control that acts like it was designed in the 70's. So much for "ironing out manufacturing issues" ten model years apart.

That's my experience with them.
View Quote
So your original complaints are totally separate from your actual experience?

It's almost like you read someone else complaining about drum brakes and a non boxed frame and just repeated it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 11:54:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
buy a Ridgeline... it'll put hair on your balls..
View Quote

Johnny Cash - A Boy Named Sue (Live at San Quentin, 1969)
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 12:36:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 12:41:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
But those are all accurate?

Are you saying they don’t have drum brakes?
That they have a fully boxed frame?
That the 3.5 isn’t used in Lexus and Toyota sedans?
That you can’t get a f150 for damn near cheaper?
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 1:03:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Best "IN" gif ever. You win the internet today.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 1:21:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So your original complaints are totally separate from your actual experience?

It's almost like you read someone else complaining about drum brakes and a non boxed frame and just repeated it.
View Quote
Spot on.  Arfcom tradition.

It was easier than (eventually) typing out my experience and I figured parroting arfcom’s most common complaints about the Taco would get get the most attention...and it appears that was the case.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 1:24:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You forgot the plastic bed.
View Quote
I forgot about the bed...mainly because I didn’t mind the composite bed during ownership.

I’ll have to remember to add it to the list next time.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 2:55:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

But those are all accurate?

Are you saying they don't have drum brakes?
That they have a fully boxed frame?
That the 3.5 isn't used in Lexus and Toyota sedans?
That you can't get a f150 for damn near cheaper?
View Quote
They do have drum brakes. Which in the rear of a mid sized pickup truck have been performing just fine for most every user.
They don't have a fully boxed frame; if I remember, it is C channel behind the rear most suspension attachment point for the rear axle. Again, just fine for the amount of abuse the trucks have proven to take.
The same 3.5 block is used in others. In fact it's in a 2015 GS that I own. So what?
I shopped these trucks against eachother in 2015 (bought an F150) and again in 2018 (and bought a Raptor), and no, you're wrong- you can get equally equipped Tacoma's for less than their F150 counterparts. And on top of that you're getting a smaller, more reliable, more fuel efficient truck that is generally going to hold better value over the years.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 9:53:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Dignity in GD? sure...
View Quote
We can pretend, can’t we?

The old Ridgeline took forever to grow on me, then they changed it.

I don’t think this version ever will grow on me. I have a ‘16 Pilot and like it ok but it doesn’t say “Pickup truck” to me. The Ridgeline is basically a Pilot forward cab grafted on a plain, undistinguished, vanilla box.

Totally incongruent designs cobbled together.

It may be perfectly competent as a truck, it just doesn’t “seem” like one.

TC
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 11:47:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hey, if you dont need to tow, that's an awesome cargo carrier.

We put 156k on a 2011 and it ran like new when we sold it.
Still miss the thing when we go to Costco.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Hey, if you dont need to tow, that's an awesome cargo carrier.

We put 156k on a 2011 and it ran like new when we sold it.
Still miss the thing when we go to Costco.

My wife drives a 2016 which we both love.  Before that she drove a 2003 which we still have, and gets driven by me about half the time.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 12:00:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean the “truck” with rear drums and a non-fully boxed frame and modified car engine that costs as much as a full-size?

Pass.

Sounds like it’s the ideal vehicle for those that tie their worth to what vehicle they drive.

Screen name does not check out
The composite bed is awesome. No need to worry about rust, dents, scratched up paint, or needing a bed liner.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 12:02:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You're right up on the latest arfcom catchphrases. I'll bet you get called an idiot several times a day every day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok boomer!
You're right up on the latest arfcom catchphrases. I'll bet you get called an idiot several times a day every day.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 12:02:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No for me it's either Toyota or Honda the Ridgeline reminds me of an ElCamino 1/2..1/2
View Quote
The world DEMANDS a modern el camino based on the Camaro.  I would drive the shit out of that.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 12:08:12 PM EDT
[#20]
What does your husband want you to buy?
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 12:11:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The world DEMANDS a modern el camino based on the Camaro.  I would drive the shit out of that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No for me it's either Toyota or Honda the Ridgeline reminds me of an ElCamino 1/2..1/2
GM should have sold a few Holden yutes here to test the waters. I bet they'd sell fairly well for a niche vehicle.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 12:14:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you mean that they both have four doors, four wheels and a bed, then yeah. Otherwise, they don't look anything like each other and are two very different trucks. The Ford has a fully boxed steel frame, solid rear axle and the Honda is a unibody frame. The two couldn't be more different. I'm not bashing the Honda and I'm sure it's a fine vehicle. I just can't stand the way it looks and would never buy one. My FIL had a first gen Ridgeline and it was actually a nice little truck and looked significantly better than the new models now IMHO.

Like others have said, for 90% of the folks who need one, it will do all that they need it to do without any issues. I never drove one but I imagine it has a car like ride quality and drives very well on the highway as a daily driver.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was in the same boat and bought a new Ranger last week and love it. It has plenty of power, room, 4WD, 7500lb towing and nicely optioned. With all the rebates and incentives, it was a very good deal. The Ridgelines just look horrible to me.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/358028/61271007-242A-4188-B847-EE02CA9F7D34-1201646.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/358028/CBEF9A6A-D5C5-421D-9DF8-F86EA083EBEF-1201645.jpg
The new Ranger looks very similar to the Ridgeline.
If you mean that they both have four doors, four wheels and a bed, then yeah. Otherwise, they don't look anything like each other and are two very different trucks. The Ford has a fully boxed steel frame, solid rear axle and the Honda is a unibody frame. The two couldn't be more different. I'm not bashing the Honda and I'm sure it's a fine vehicle. I just can't stand the way it looks and would never buy one. My FIL had a first gen Ridgeline and it was actually a nice little truck and looked significantly better than the new models now IMHO.

Like others have said, for 90% of the folks who need one, it will do all that they need it to do without any issues. I never drove one but I imagine it has a car like ride quality and drives very well on the highway as a daily driver.
I was just messin' with ya.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 12:18:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I actually think the first gen looks pretty good and I like all the nifty storage. I would have bought one when I was looking but they were all overpriced for their miles around here.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 3:39:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I actually think the first gen looks pretty good and I like all the nifty storage. I would have bought one when I was looking but they were all overpriced for their miles around here.
View Quote
It is very much utilitarian. All the knob are big and easy to reach, plastic dash and door panels, kooks and crannies everywhere for stuff. The trunk even has a drain plug
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 4:06:59 PM EDT
[#25]
I just got a big laugh. I am watching a PBS channel as I'm on the computer and they just had a segment comparing the Ridgelne against the Ford Ranger, the new Jeep truck and the GMC  Canyon. Guess what? The Ridgeline beat them all out by a huge margin.  
Edit: Found it on youtube.
2019 Mid-Size Truck Challenge — Cars.com

Link Posted: 12/28/2019 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#26]
My favorite part is the guys bashing the Ridgeline for not being a manly truck are all rocking a 1/2 ton of some sort.
"Your truck isn't as manly as my truck which is only slightly larger and slightly more capable".
If you're going to argue that a truck isn't manly enough then why don't we define a truck as having at least 6 tires?
If you're not driving at least a 1 ton then you're not manly enough, or how about a F650?
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My favorite part is the guys bashing the Ridgeline for not being a manly truck are all rocking a 1/2 ton of some sort.
"Your truck isn't as manly as my truck which is only slightly larger and slightly more capable".
If you're going to argue that a truck isn't manly enough then why don't we define a truck as having at least 6 tires?
If you're not driving at least a 1 ton then you're not manly enough, or how about a F650?
View Quote
I drive an avalanche. Same thing. Anyone who says shit like that is an imbecile.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 5:40:17 PM EDT
[#28]
No full size spare tire = do not want.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 6:07:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have a full size spare, don't know about the gen2s
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It isn't a donut, but it is definitely not a full size either. I think they call it a "compact spare". I've considered seeing if there was enough space for a full size in there if I deleted the tray.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 6:49:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It isn't a donut, but it is definitely not a full size either. I think they call it a "compact spare". I've considered seeing if there was enough space for a full size in there if I deleted the tray.
View Quote
Mine came with a compact spare but I haggled a full size when I bought it. Fits on the tray but the jack lug wrench had to be moved to a different spot. Ironically there is a ledge that it fit on perfectly so they must have thought about it in advance.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 11:38:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If you're going to argue that a truck isn't manly enough then why don't we define a truck as having at least 6 tires?p
View Quote
You are less of a man if you don't drive a dually.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 11:55:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you're going to argue that a truck isn't manly enough then why don't we define a truck as having at least 6 tires?p
What if I run super singles on it?
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 2:24:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

What if I run super singles on it?
View Quote
As long as you tub the bed and run Mickie's, you'll be ok.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I just got a big laugh. I am watching a PBS channel as I'm on the computer and they just had a segment comparing the Ridgelne against the Ford Ranger, the new Jeep truck and the GMC  Canyon. Guess what? The Ridgeline beat them all out by a huge margin.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUrW3MeAfmQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1SwD3gZsTM
View Quote
That was the gayest "truck test" I've ever seen. No wonder the Honda won. They basically took a minivan or family sedan test and used midsized trucks.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 11:14:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
That was the gayest "truck test" I've ever seen. No wonder the Honda won. They basically took a minivan or family sedan test and used midsized trucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUrW3MeAfmQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1SwD3gZsTM
And also LOL at the people performing the tests

At least we know the exact segment interested in it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 11:32:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 11:36:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 11:36:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Congrats OP...enjoy the new ride!
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 11:41:53 AM EDT
[#41]
#ridgelife
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 11:42:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
So, to summarize, a guy who the ridgeline is squarely aimed at asks for opinions and the 12mpg tow crew berates him for not wanting what they like, for the reasons they do.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/9rt5sZj-59.gif
View Quote
Well, I mean botatotoes don't really know any better do they?
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 11:48:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Congrats OP...enjoy the new ride!
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 11:49:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 11:51:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Full size trucks have their place, and have capabilities no other vehicle can match.
It's the reason we aren't all driving vans at work.

Not everyone wants or needs a "truck".
The capabilities go hand in hand with the drawbacks as a daily driver for MOST people.

Your garage, your rules.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I mean botatotoes don't really know any better do they?
Full size trucks have their place, and have capabilities no other vehicle can match.
It's the reason we aren't all driving vans at work.

Not everyone wants or needs a "truck".
The capabilities go hand in hand with the drawbacks as a daily driver for MOST people.

Your garage, your rules.
Oh totally I agree.

I'm generally just amused by the Truck Uber Alles crowd.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 11:54:18 AM EDT
[#46]
That should be a really nice ride. We love our Pilot.

I'm leaning very heavily towards one for this coming year.
Suits my needs just fine.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 12:19:35 PM EDT
[#47]
I CANNOT make this up! So go to the Honda page here and click the article where they compare the Ridgeline to the TACO. It says “Why the Ridgeline beats the Tacoma”
Honda Ridgeline Info Page
Drumroll...
Click the link here Page not found
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 12:21:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Thoughts ...............don't need a full size truck so...... Toyota owner now
EDIT It has been done! 2017 RTL-T AWD
Haters gonna hate
Thanks guy's  as always GD makes anything more fun , I will miss my 04 Tundra but that truck doesn't owe me a single cent. Next up the Ridgeline
View Quote
Your husband will love it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 12:29:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I CANNOT make this up! So go to the Honda page here and click the article where they compare the Ridgeline to the TACO. It says “Why the Ridgeline beats the Tacoma”
Honda Ridgeline Info Page
Drumroll...
Click the link here Page not found
View Quote
Imagine... a Honda website posting a comparison? But as you posted...Link fail. Go drunk, you're home.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#50]
You're not a real man unless your truck can tow your house.

Just make sure you take the skirting off first
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top