Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 1:15:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 1:23:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it passes you can't prohibit employees from having dreadlocks (racist word)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not sure what this means, but I am going to continue to discriminate against hair I don't like.

Sue you can. As long as they’re not also black.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 1:23:30 AM EDT
[#3]
And just how much money did they spend on that bull shit.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 1:33:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
And just how much money did they spend on that bull shit.
View Quote

All of it.

Link Posted: 3/19/2022 1:42:56 AM EDT
[#5]
That will be impossible to enforce.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 1:44:44 AM EDT
[#6]
YES. I'm finally gonna get a JOB!

Link Posted: 3/19/2022 2:50:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Over the years I have seen some schools not allow braid rows , dreds, claiming they are gang hairdos or something.  Which is nonsense.  It's just a low maintenance hairstyle for black people.
View Quote

Schools are constantly doing retarded stuff because they are run by democrats.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 2:58:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you haven't at the very least seen Chris Rock's documentary 'Good Hair', your opinion here is invalid.
View Quote

I saw it and this law is retarded. I don't believe anyone in 2022 America is discriminating against black hair, except retards who get smacked down when they are called out.

This law is another example of black privilege.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 3:00:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 3:06:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Does this mean .mil can do whatever with their hair now?
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 3:37:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I feel discriminated against because of this post! Do I get a Bill??? Just curious though? Does this bill cover back hair, ass hair, arm pit hair,pubic hairs, nose hairs, hairy ears and leg hair's???? Think of the fun Lawyers can get out of this! I think I mite grow a pubic hair beard so I can proudly display it ever where I go in public!
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 4:01:35 AM EDT
[#12]

OMG you FOUND CORN POP!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 4:07:05 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm sure the group that is supposed to benefit from this will thrive and prosper now.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 4:12:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Over the years I have seen some schools not allow braid rows , dreds, claiming they are gang hairdos or something.  Which is nonsense.  It's just a low maintenance hairstyle for black people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Example?

Depends on what they wear, gang affiliation is often indicated in things as simple as the color of the beads in the hair.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 4:50:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I saw it and this law is retarded. I don't believe anyone in 2022 America is discriminating against black hair, except retards who get smacked down when they are called out.
This law is another example of black privilege.
View Quote

My wife's boss does.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 4:57:00 AM EDT
[#16]
y'all looking at this wrong

if it passes, find some wypipo hairstyles and nobody can say shit

You just gotta take it back

Does your job require short, neat hair? No more. Grow it long like wypipo did in the middle ages and claim its an ancestral design.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 5:15:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 5:55:18 AM EDT
[#18]
So the same people that came up with man spreading are making it illegal to ban hair spreading.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 5:56:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm claiming a Viking heritage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
y'all looking at this wrong

if it passes, find some wypipo hairstyles and nobody can say shit

You just gotta take it back

Does your job require short, neat hair? No more. Grow it long like wypipo did in the middle ages and claim its an ancestral design.
I'm claiming a Viking heritage.

Spot on. Or, a mohawk is ancient Irish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohawk_hairstyle

"The hairstyle has been in existence in many parts of the world for millennia. For instance, the Clonycavan Man, a 2000-year-old male bog body discovered near Dublin in 2003, was found to be wearing a mohawk styled with plant oil and pine resin.[5] Herodotus claimed that the Macai, a northern Libyan tribe, "shave their hair so as to leave tufts, letting the middle of their hair grow long, but round this on all sides shaving it close to the skin."
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 5:57:47 AM EDT
[#20]
I can no longer be discriminated against for having a mullet. Finally!
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 6:47:43 AM EDT
[#21]
I feel so safe now.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 7:50:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Clearly their is a real issue under the surface some black people are running into. But you just know this will be abused heavily by shit bags. In the end it will just be more reason to not hire people that come with a suitcase full of booby traps for your business.

Shit bags ruin everything for everyone.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 7:58:39 AM EDT
[#23]
This means I can show up to a corporate job interview with a full blown 80's punk mohawk in bright pink and they can't judge me for it?  Cool.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 8:05:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Some examples of hair discrimination that have happened listed here:

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/business_law/publications/blt/2020/05/hair-discrimination/

• In 2017, Mya and Deana Cook, twin sisters in Massachusetts, had to serve detention when school officials determined that their braids violated school policy.

• In August 2018, Clinton Stanley Jr., a 6-year-old student at Book’s Christian Academy in Florida, was sent home from school on account of his hair. The child’s father was told that the school handbook states that boys are not permitted to have dreadlocks.

• In September 2018, officials at Christ the King middle school in Terrytown, Louisiana, informed one of its students that she was being expelled from the school because her “extensions” (braids) were unacceptable under their school code.

• In December 2018, Andrew Johnson, a black New Jersey teenager, was made to cut his dreadlocks by a white referee to continue participating in his school’s wrestling match.

• In January 2020, DeAndre Arnold, an 18-year-old at Barbers Hill High School in Mont Belvieu, Texas, was suspended from school for dreadlocks he started growing in the seventh grade in the same school district. He was facing possibly missing his high school prom and graduation. He has since withdrawn from the school district and enrolled elsewhere.

• In January 2020, a second student at Barbers Hill High School, 16-year-old Kaden Bradford, was suspended for the length of his dreadlocks. Kaden Bradford is DeAndre Arnold’s cousin.

Those are all examples from schools, public schools should not be making hair style rules.

Private businesses that want to discriminate against hair styles, you're not getting any sympathy from me.

The thing is no one supports a system that is contrary to their interests.  Having a large percentage of the population having to put up with unreasonable hair style rules does not make for a healthy society.  Your desire to control others hair styles ridiculous.  Why should blacks have to conform to your rules?  How would you like it if blacks were in the majority and made up rules that you had to have dreadlocks or corn rows?  Not so reasonable is it now?
View Quote

Those are terrible examples as neither braids nor dreadlocks are exclusive to, nor a natural result of having African ancestry.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 8:05:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Right in the middle of my footlong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does this mean that restaurants cannot discriminate against white people with dreadlocks when hiring food prep employees?  I refuse to let those folks make my food. You have to be a seriously dirty MFer to develop dreads when you're not black.

Damn show me where the white guy with dreads touched you.

Right in the middle of my footlong.

Damn sorry bro
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 8:06:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Looks like folks can’t make fun of me for going bald anymore
View Quote

Wanna bet marble head?
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 8:25:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I seriously doubt there's anyone here that has shared a bed with a black woman.

The bullshit they deal with is definitely worth addressing.

The very nature of their hair means that typically white styles aren't feasible without literally burning their scalp with chemicals, or spending ridiculous money to have poor Indian people's hair woven onto their heads.

My ex got her masters, started a job, and was dragged into her boss' office to talk about her hair. Nothing crazy like a fro, and was professional looking twists with a similar profile to an up-do of straight hair, but her boss tried to demand that she straightened her hair to make it less "ethnic". HR put her in her fucking place real quick.

If you haven't at the very least seen Chris Rock's documentary 'Good Hair', your opinion here is invalid.
View Quote

So in your example, the company handled itself.

You make an extremely poor argument for any sort of legislation being required.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 8:40:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Lately, I wake up and wonder what fucking nonsense the Clown World is gonna throw at me today...
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 10:00:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The real issue.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Why should blacks have to conform to your rules?  

The real issue.  

Like I said:
How would you like it if blacks were in the majority and made up rules that you had to have dreadlocks or corn rows?  

As long as it's kept neat and clean and doesn't interfere with the job why the hell do you care what their hair looks like?  Rhetorical question because I know the answer is "my business my rules".  You don't need that level of control over employees to run your business.  Because you're a control freak, just admit it.

Laws should be kept to a minimum and limited scope.  Even this new law, if passed, should have a very light touch, but we all know Congress will write some piece of garbage sledgehammer that will eventually be ruled unconstitutional.

How many of you opposed to this law, or the basic principle if not the exact wording, also oppose laws saying businesses cannot discriminate on the basis of race?  Come on, be loud and proud, show your racism.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 10:14:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Finally I can get those corn rows I've always wanted.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 10:15:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This means I can show up to a corporate job interview with a full blown 80's punk mohawk in bright pink and they can't judge me for it?  Cool.
View Quote
You know I'm sure some other character flaw issue would reveal itself before the interview ended.

Will this affect military and government jobs?  I just can't wait till the police show up with outrageous hair styles.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 10:26:24 AM EDT
[#32]
this immediately came to mind

Link Posted: 3/19/2022 10:34:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Those are terrible examples as neither braids nor dreadlocks are exclusive to, nor a natural result of having African ancestry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some examples of hair discrimination that have happened listed here:

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/business_law/publications/blt/2020/05/hair-discrimination/

• In 2017, Mya and Deana Cook, twin sisters in Massachusetts, had to serve detention when school officials determined that their braids violated school policy.

• In August 2018, Clinton Stanley Jr., a 6-year-old student at Book’s Christian Academy in Florida, was sent home from school on account of his hair. The child’s father was told that the school handbook states that boys are not permitted to have dreadlocks.

• In September 2018, officials at Christ the King middle school in Terrytown, Louisiana, informed one of its students that she was being expelled from the school because her “extensions” (braids) were unacceptable under their school code.

• In December 2018, Andrew Johnson, a black New Jersey teenager, was made to cut his dreadlocks by a white referee to continue participating in his school’s wrestling match.

• In January 2020, DeAndre Arnold, an 18-year-old at Barbers Hill High School in Mont Belvieu, Texas, was suspended from school for dreadlocks he started growing in the seventh grade in the same school district. He was facing possibly missing his high school prom and graduation. He has since withdrawn from the school district and enrolled elsewhere.

• In January 2020, a second student at Barbers Hill High School, 16-year-old Kaden Bradford, was suspended for the length of his dreadlocks. Kaden Bradford is DeAndre Arnold’s cousin.

Those are all examples from schools, public schools should not be making hair style rules.

Private businesses that want to discriminate against hair styles, you're not getting any sympathy from me.

The thing is no one supports a system that is contrary to their interests.  Having a large percentage of the population having to put up with unreasonable hair style rules does not make for a healthy society.  Your desire to control others hair styles ridiculous.  Why should blacks have to conform to your rules?  How would you like it if blacks were in the majority and made up rules that you had to have dreadlocks or corn rows?  Not so reasonable is it now?

Apologies if anyone has already mentioned this, but the one that bugs me from that list (that I’ve also specifically cited on the floor in Congress) is the wrestler that was “made to cut his dreadlocks by a white ref”
He had the choice to cut his hair shorter, or wear a hair cover, like every other wrestler in the country at the time had to do if their hair was too long. My son wrestled with long hair and had to follow the same rules (along with a teammate of his that had dreads)- either cover it or don’t wrestle. The idea that a white ref made him cut it because of racism or how he kept is hair is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 10:37:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Those are cornrows.

These are dreads:  

https://i.imgur.com/H63Ekuw.jpg
View All Quotes

mmmm I can smell the patchouli  from here.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Maybe this will be the next round of legislative protections

How it starts:

How it will be:
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 11:19:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Gentlemen, ladies, a moment of silence if you will.

We stand together today in this somber moment of reflection, united in purpose, to honor those without hair.  Yet again this marginalized community has been ignored.   Yet again our shameful history of hair privilege has reared its ugly head.

Surely there is a place in this outrage for our brave bald brothers and sisters, who can not know the simple joys of cornrows, extensions, or sunny days without hats.    Let us embrace everyone with a head -- large, small, shiny, or pointed -- regardless of hair color or curls or snappy highlights.   Let us make room for them, and for their strange and sad shiny heads, and may we walk hand in hand, together, toward our bright shared hatred of everything that is.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Like I said:

As long as it's kept neat and clean and doesn't interfere with the job why the hell do you care what their hair looks like?  Rhetorical question because I know the answer is "my business my rules".  You don't need that level of control over employees to run your business.  Because you're a control freak, just admit it.

Laws should be kept to a minimum and limited scope.  Even this new law, if passed, should have a very light touch, but we all know Congress will write some piece of garbage sledgehammer that will eventually be ruled unconstitutional.

How many of you opposed to this law, or the basic principle if not the exact wording, also oppose laws saying businesses cannot discriminate on the basis of race?  Come on, be loud and proud, show your racism.
View Quote

Is it racist if I oppose the ADA and Title IX at the same time?

Is it racist to want to be free even if it means that mean people and stupid people are also free?

I am against giving up ANY rights or freedom even the kind likely to be misused.  I am against it even when I see it might be used to my personal advantage.

If a person chooses to make themselves less employable because of face tattoos, piercings or body mods, do you need your own law so that people will have to hire you or to continue to employ you should you aquire such things?

You need the federal government to protect people from the consequences of their choices?  The freedom to style ones hair (grown or purchased) is already yours.

Freedom does not exist divorced from responsibility and consequences.  

Link Posted: 3/19/2022 11:32:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Next hurdle will be dress.  
Can’t discriminate against the dashiki.
Or bare feet
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 11:42:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

From reading the language in the law you can’t for people who claim it is associated with their racial heritage (black people).  But a white person might have quite a hurdle claiming that, unless of course they “identify” as black like Rachael Dolezal.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 11:47:23 AM EDT
[#40]
"Tyrone, we have decided to go with a different applicant because of your hair. Good luck with your job search." - No company ever said.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 11:51:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
For fuck's sake.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/19/2022 5:15:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Like I said:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Why should blacks have to conform to your rules?  

The real issue.  

Like I said:
How would you like it if blacks were in the majority and made up rules that you had to have dreadlocks or corn rows?  

I oppose any federal legislation of the sort.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 5:18:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Is it racist to want to be free even if it means that mean people and stupid people are also free?

I am against giving up ANY rights or freedom even the kind likely to be misused.  I am against it even when I see it might be used to my personal advantage.

If a person chooses to make themselves less employable because of face tattoos, piercings or body mods, do you need your own law so that people will have to hire you or to continue to employ you should you aquire such things?

You need the federal government to protect people from the consequences of their choices?  The freedom to style ones hair (grown or purchased) is already yours.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Like I said:

Bingo.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 6:38:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'm not saying that your particular example isn't a valid grievance for discrimination, but there are tons of hairstyles that would be considered unprofessional in a business environment where you have to meet with other business people. Said unprofessional hairstyles are not imited to certain races.

Like it or not, appearances matter. I would not expect to be taken seriously if I rocked a skullet, long spikes, had designs shaved into my head, a giant mohawk, etc etc. We have a temp at work right now that is wearing basketball shorts and his giant gut is hanging out from under his T-Shirt. He's not black and he's not my subordinate, but I care how he looks because he will need to deal with a client or company partnering with us at times and nearly needed to today. He does look like a giant disgusting slob however, and that's not ok.  

You don't get to just claim racism every time an employer takes exception to your appearance just because said appearance related attribute is more commonly associated with your race. An employer should be able to choose the image they want to portray to the world. Let their clients decide if they don't like that that people look too boring and if the employees want lax grooming and appearance standards, they can go elsewhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The very nature of their hair means that typically white styles aren't feasible without literally burning their scalp with chemicals, or spending ridiculous money to have poor Indian people's hair woven onto their heads.

My ex got her masters, started a job, and was dragged into her boss' office to talk about her hair. Nothing crazy like a fro, and was professional looking twists with a similar profile to an up-do of straight hair, but her boss tried to demand that she straightened her hair to make it less "ethnic". HR put her in her fucking place real quick.

I'm not saying that your particular example isn't a valid grievance for discrimination, but there are tons of hairstyles that would be considered unprofessional in a business environment where you have to meet with other business people. Said unprofessional hairstyles are not imited to certain races.

Like it or not, appearances matter. I would not expect to be taken seriously if I rocked a skullet, long spikes, had designs shaved into my head, a giant mohawk, etc etc. We have a temp at work right now that is wearing basketball shorts and his giant gut is hanging out from under his T-Shirt. He's not black and he's not my subordinate, but I care how he looks because he will need to deal with a client or company partnering with us at times and nearly needed to today. He does look like a giant disgusting slob however, and that's not ok.  

You don't get to just claim racism every time an employer takes exception to your appearance just because said appearance related attribute is more commonly associated with your race. An employer should be able to choose the image they want to portray to the world. Let their clients decide if they don't like that that people look too boring and if the employees want lax grooming and appearance standards, they can go elsewhere.

The problem might be there's no defined standard for what's considered "proper hair" in a business setting, so standards can be rather arbitrary and might not take into account all natural characteristics.
If you want a private sector solution, have a business association develop standards for business appearance that can actually be used as a reference and reviewed to see if they're realistic, and not akin to telling folks with naturally frizzy hair "you must have straight hair" to be in compliance. If you flip the situation around, do you think some people would be upset if some giant corporation set arbitrary grooming policy to include everyone must have jet black hair color?
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 5:23:26 PM EDT
[#45]
And then you have a kid like this:

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Family/mom-raises-awareness-son-diagnosed-uncombable-hair-syndrome/story?id=83091244

that would never be able to hold down a job unless he shaved his head everyday LOL.

Look, I'm pretty a libertarian, classical liberal, fairly centrist, but I'm not religious about it.  Pluralistic societies don't work well when the majority gets to push around minorities.  That's just math, politics, and culture.

I open to being convinced otherwise but all I heard so far is just grumpy people bitching they don't like it.  If you want to keep centrist people on your side you have to be more willing to listen to concerns like this one and put yourself in someone else's shoes.

The first such law originated in California so that's a good clue it's a terrible idea.

If I was writing such a law, it wouldn't have a special carve out for any minority group, it would be ethnic group neutral.  It would just state hair must be clean and not interfere with work/school, maybe something else.

While it might "sound nice" the practical application of such a law amounts to force.  Giving an ANTIFA thug working for the Department of Hair Protection the power to f' you up if you don't comply.  So how do you limit the scope of the law to achieve something reasonable and not give thugs so much power they can f' you up.  Well, I don't know how to do that either LOL
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 11:52:27 PM EDT
[#46]

Nonsense, dye it black and send him to Denmark, won't even need an issued bearskin.  Just gotta keep him away from waterfowl.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 12:00:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

“Good Hair” was eye opening. I had no idea the amount of work black ladies went through to make their hair look like white ladies. Fucking bananas.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 12:17:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Like I said:

View Quote

I think businesses should be free to discriminate for any reason or no reason. Every hiring practice is discriminatory, in every way. Choosing who you think will be the best employee is necessarily a discriminatory exercise.

I think people who discriminate based on immutable characteristics are stupid and wrong, but the market will punish them if they choose to do so. Hairstyles, it should be noted, are not an immutable characteristic, they are a choice.

I think firing someone or not hiring for a hairstyle is usually a dumb move, but people should be free to do so.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 12:30:19 AM EDT
[#49]
So mullets are coming back to the south?
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 12:34:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
1) Grow an outrageous Mohawk.

2) Dye your Mohawk hot pink.

3) Apply for job you come nowhere close to qualifying for: brain surgeon, rocket scientist, etc.

4) Fail to get the job.

5) Sue for discrimination against your hair.

6) Profit
View Quote

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top