BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I started doing my lifts again today and I've increased my cals to 1617.

But I want to develop a svelte and muscular physique with a narrow waist. I don't want to get big and bulky like a body builder. I'm glad you are hitting your goals, but I don't want to get really big. I do want to get bigger than I currently am. But that's why cutting is a short term phase. I'm going for more like a swimmer's build or a gymnast, and less like Arnold.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You need to main gain to about 175lbs. Far too light to still be at 15% BF.

I’ve been lifting 24 years now, after my recomp this year I’m sitting at 13.7%BF at 197lbs. 5’10” tall.

You need to lift. What you’re doing currently is not enough remotely for muscle size/strength gain or maintain. My personal routine is a combo of CrossFit, bodybuilding and strongman training. That said, I haven’t “maxed out” in 10 years. No need. 4-6 sets per exercise, 8-15 reps each with a moderately heavy weight.

At 13.7% I can see 4 abs and a V cut. No need to get to 10% for that, you need to train abs with WEIGHT and do compound lifts to make them thick enough to show.

https://i.imgur.com/y4w0ak4.jpg

ETA: 1000 calories is WAY TO LOW. Minimum 1,800 calories a day should be your goal

But I want to develop a svelte and muscular physique with a narrow waist. I don't want to get big and bulky like a body builder. I'm glad you are hitting your goals, but I don't want to get really big. I do want to get bigger than I currently am. But that's why cutting is a short term phase. I'm going for more like a swimmer's build or a gymnast, and less like Arnold.

You're not going to look like Arnold without his supplements and eating 5-6k calories a day
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 6:46:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Can you chug?
View Quote

Apparently not, I asked him that on page 1 and no response.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 7:24:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can you chug?

Chug? I havn"t heard that term.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Chug?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can you chug?

Chug?

That's a no.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 7:42:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Okay, so I should maybe maintain my 1k calorie cut for another 7 days just to accelerate fat loss, then up it to 1617 cals with weight lifting, and maintain a slower cut?

Or should I start at 1617 cals tomorrow with 200g protein and start lifting weights? According to the article, I take my weight and multiply it by 11 to calculate my calories for cutting.

That being said, since I've been on my 1k cals diet, with doing pushups, pullups, chinups, dips and planks every day, I've noticed my upper torso getting more muscular, and my waist getting trimmer. So it's hard for me to justify changing things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Read this article from start to finish. You're fucking up your metabolism and wayyyyyyy too skinny. You're losing muscle for sure.

https://forums.t-nation.com/t/the-best-diet-plan-for-a-natural-bodybuilder/283806

Okay, so I should maybe maintain my 1k calorie cut for another 7 days just to accelerate fat loss, then up it to 1617 cals with weight lifting, and maintain a slower cut?

Or should I start at 1617 cals tomorrow with 200g protein and start lifting weights? According to the article, I take my weight and multiply it by 11 to calculate my calories for cutting.

That being said, since I've been on my 1k cals diet, with doing pushups, pullups, chinups, dips and planks every day, I've noticed my upper torso getting more muscular, and my waist getting trimmer. So it's hard for me to justify changing things.

You’re just starting lifting. Or calisthenics. Whatever. Point is those gains are neurological not physiologic at first. You’ll progress adequately despite whatever deficit you are under.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 7:48:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm short, fat, weak and slow.
View Quote

Never met you but calling bullshit on fat and weak. You’ve posted too much of your outdoor hobbies for that claim.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Never met you but calling bullshit on fat and weak. You’ve posted too much of your outdoor hobbies for that claim.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's actually not him.

Actually... NONE of the posted pictures are arfcommers.

None.

They're all just stolen from bodybuilding forums.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 7:54:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 8:16:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

But I want to develop a svelte and muscular physique with a narrow waist. I don't want to get big and bulky like a body builder. I'm glad you are hitting your goals, but I don't want to get really big. I do want to get bigger than I currently am. But that's why cutting is a short term phase. I'm going for more like a swimmer's build or a gymnast, and less like Arnold. Actually there's a fitness youtuber who's channel is called THENX, and his type of physique is kind of what my end goal is.

How many lifts would you recommend I do each week, how many times per week?

Currently, I'm getting back into the Fierce 5 program. It consists of barbell back squats, benchpress, shoulder presses, lat pulldowns, face pulls, pendlay rows, calf raises, RDLs, decline crunches, bicep curls, cable tricep pressdowns, and barbell front squats. Should that cover everything?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve been lifting 24 years now, after my recomp this year I’m sitting at 13.7%BF at 197lbs. 5’10” tall.

You need to lift. What you’re doing currently is not enough remotely for muscle size/strength gain or maintain. My personal routine is a combo of CrossFit, bodybuilding and strongman training. That said, I haven’t “maxed out” in 10 years. No need. 4-6 sets per exercise, 8-15 reps each with a moderately heavy weight.

At 13.7% I can see 4 abs and a V cut. No need to get to 10% for that, you need to train abs with WEIGHT and do compound lifts to make them thick enough to show.

ETA: 1000 calories is WAY TO LOW. Minimum 1,800 calories a day should be your goal

But I want to develop a svelte and muscular physique with a narrow waist. I don't want to get big and bulky like a body builder. I'm glad you are hitting your goals, but I don't want to get really big. I do want to get bigger than I currently am. But that's why cutting is a short term phase. I'm going for more like a swimmer's build or a gymnast, and less like Arnold. Actually there's a fitness youtuber who's channel is called THENX, and his type of physique is kind of what my end goal is.

Currently, I'm getting back into the Fierce 5 program. It consists of barbell back squats, benchpress, shoulder presses, lat pulldowns, face pulls, pendlay rows, calf raises, RDLs, decline crunches, bicep curls, cable tricep pressdowns, and barbell front squats. Should that cover everything?

Lol don’t worry, you won’t be even if you wanted to be.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 8:47:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just trying to reveal my abs before I start slowly adding muscle mass.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 8:53:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm in really terrible shape due to repeated shoulder and lower extremity joint injuries.

6'3" and 211lbs at the doctor last week.
View Quote

Damn man. Hope it gets better.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 9:06:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm in really terrible shape due to repeated shoulder and lower extremity joint injuries.

6'3" and 211lbs at the doctor last week.
View Quote
227 6'3"
Same here broham.
Shattered left knee. Three surgeries
Left Shoulder dislocated 6 times in 30 years. Two shoulder surgeries ending with a Laterjet surgery.
Robotic colon resection surgery due to diverticulous.
I walk steep hills with my mini dog every morning. Cardio works on me just like being tipsy on stupid juice. It gets me crunked.
I'm 62 years old and a bit of a bad ass motherfucker in my own mind.
My dog's vet was tripping balls. She said my mini dog was in unusually outstanding physical condition even for a dog.

Link Posted: 9/1/2023 9:08:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Over 50, 6’1” 179 very lean and fit.  Do lots of cardio, including resistance cardio, run ,row, mostly oly lift to keep the mobility good.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 9:09:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I am fucking fat as fuck
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 9:45:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's all true. I've met him and all he did was sit around and drink all night.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 9:49:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 10:00:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

There’s no way this isn’t troll.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 10:03:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's called going on a cut.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 10:13:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

6 pages and you still don't get that at 5'9 and 147lbs the last thing you need is a cut. Build the muscle first.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 10:19:21 PM EDT
[#20]
6/2”
178lbs
Total Ankle replacement
Shoulder replacement

I can’t run anymore so now I bike at the gym
20mi/60min/600cal at least 4 times a week

Eat once a day mostly , stay away from sugar

I was up to 240 a few years ago.

Feel great now .

Link Posted: 9/1/2023 10:54:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

6 pages and you still don't get that at 5'9 and 147lbs the last thing you need is a cut. Build the muscle first.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was only trying to lose the last little bit of belly fat I've got left. I can almost see my 4 pack.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 11:10:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I’m fit enough to fish.

5-11” 180 51yo
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 11:14:24 PM EDT
[#23]
50 to 60 pushups a day.  Reverse crunches, squats, burpies, bicycle kicks mixed in.

5’11” 175 to 177 lbs

Surfed the last two weekends
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 11:38:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I was only trying to lose the last little bit of belly fat I've got left. I can almost see my 4 pack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Start running or biking instead of walking, and what little belly fat you have will disappear FAST at your size and caloric intake.

You're young. Do the kind of cardio that keeps your heart rate in the 140bpm range. Leave the walking for the obese or 70+ folks.

Better yet, if you haven't already given up on Muay Thai,  do heavy bag training. Go as hard and fast as you can for 3 minutes. 1-minute break, Go again for 3 Minutes. 1-minute break. 5 rounds, like a competition, but don't be a pussy and ease up. Go hard, non-stop. The bag isn't hitting back, so pound it like a drummer on speed. It's the OG HIIT.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 12:29:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Start running or biking instead of walking, and what little belly fat you have will disappear FAST at your size and caloric intake.

You're young. Do the kind of cardio that keeps your heart rate in the 140bpm range. Leave the walking for the obese or 70+ folks.

Better yet, if you haven't already given up on Muay Thai,  do heavy bag training. Go as hard and fast as you can for 3 minutes. 1-minute break, Go again for 3 Minutes. 1-minute break. 5 rounds, like a competition, but don't be a pussy and ease up. Go hard, non-stop. The bag isn't hitting back, so pound it like a drummer on speed. It's the OG HIIT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a decent runner. I definitely should give that a go.

I also have been wanting to invest in a heavy bag. But I live in an apartment, so I might have to get a standing model. I just need to shop around for a good one. I havn't given up on Muay Thai, it's just been a busy summer, having a new baby and all. I havn't been in to the gym to train since May.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

It’s not. You gain muscle and a little fat then you cut so you can see the muscle. What you’re doing is just being skin and bones.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 9:19:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It’s not. You gain muscle and a little fat then you cut so you can see the muscle. What you’re doing is just being skin and bones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My goal was to only lose only 5-7 pounds of fat left. It was going to last 2 weeks tops. After that I would reassess my bf percentage and probably increase to maintenance. It was supposed to be for a very limited period of time. I can already see my abs. I just wanted to make them more defined.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 9:33:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

My goal was to only lose only 5-7 pounds of fat left. It was going to last 2 weeks tops. After that I would reassess my bf percentage and probably increase to maintenance. It was supposed to be for a very limited period of time. I can already see my abs. I just wanted to make them more defined.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So increase calories to build muscle
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 10:00:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that's what I'm doing now. I'm gonna aim for about 1700 cals today, over 200g protein. The rest is carbs.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 10:05:50 PM EDT
[#30]
5'11" and 220lbs. Could use to drop about five or ten pounds, but overall I think my health and fitness level for a 54 year old is decent. I work concrete construction, do chores on our farm, and do a lot of walking for fitness and time alone to think.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 10:07:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Oh FFS there’s too many chefs in this kitchen. Pick a plan and stick to it. I think your goal and odd fixation on abs is dumb but that’s beside the point.

Cut to 10%. Accept that you’ll look like an auschwitz victim. Begin a long period of lifting in a mild caloric surplus. After hopefully many months, reassess and cut back down to 10% to begin anew, except this time you’ll look like a less starved auschwitz victim. Rinse, repeat.

I’ve been doing it for 10 years now. When I started I was a fat fuck. After one session I was an emaciated skinny bitch. After 10 years I look great. It takes years of consistently applying solid dieting and training fundamentals.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 10:12:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you want to look like a swimmer or gymnast, why not primarily swim or do gymnastics?

I would point out that gymnasts and swimmers generally have pretty dissimilar builds. High level gymnasts have a lot of upper body mass.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 10:27:26 PM EDT
[#33]
147 pounds and 1000c a day?  Am I reading that correctly?  I have a planned hard cut coming up in about 8 weeks at around 2200c.  I can't imagine 1000c.  5'9" 193 @13-14%bf
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 4:08:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If you want to look like a swimmer or gymnast, why not primarily swim or do gymnastics?

View Quote
I think that's like saying if you want to be taller, why not play basketball?
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 7:05:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 7:23:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Late 60s boomer so struggling to maintain.
Current levels:
2 weekly gym visits. Bench press max is body weight.
1 weekly ruck, 30lbs, 4 miles, 20 min/mile
1 weekly road bike ride, 15-20 miles, 2 hard ascents, 14 miles/hr
62 resting heart rate

Seem to be in much better shape than my peers. Some consolation.
Don’t go gentle…….
Need to drop 5 kgs of body weight.

Just ate a donut for breakfast, oh well
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 7:38:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I also have been wanting to invest in a heavy bag. But I live in an apartment, so I might have to get a standing model. I just need to shop around for a good one. I havn't given up on Muay Thai, it's just been a busy summer, having a new baby and all. I havn't been in to the gym to train since May.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stick to the running. It's cheap (you probably already have shoes you can use).

I had a standup bag in college. Unless you live on the bottom floor on concrete, your neighbors aren't going to like it (ask me how I know ). Even if you ARE on the bottom floor, on concrete, if your ceiling/their floor isn't particularly soundproof, it can still be loud to the neighbors.

Of the freestanding bags, the Century 2XL Pro is what I'd recommend. You can practice leg kicks on it.

DON'T get the height-adjustable upper half types (like the Bob/Bob XL). The adjustability is a weak point. The studs move in the slots every time you hit it hard, and will eventually crack/break.

You're 147lbs, so a water fill should be fine for anything other than front, side or back kicks. Otherwise, what I did was fill it with fine play sand first, then add water. The weight with water is supposedly ~270lbs. With the sand + water, it's probably closer to 350lbs. If you ever need to empty/move it, sand + water is going to be a PITA.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't get taller(let's leave out surgery). If you train like Olympic swimmers and gymnasts you will start to build a body similar to those types

Just like if you train like a marathon runner.

Probably the only sport you won't naturally look like the competitors is bodybuilding.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:18:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You can't get taller(let's leave out surgery). If you train like Olympic swimmers and gymnasts you will start to build a body similar to those types

Probably the only sport you won't naturally look like the competitors is bodybuilding.
View Quote
I think those athletes excel at their sport because of their body type, not vice versa. But I have no proof.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:12:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I think those athletes excel at their sport because of their body type, not vice versa. But I have no proof.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe the elite do, but most average people can do extremely well at pretty much any sport provided they train.

They'll never beat someone that's genetically gifted in proportions and/or muscle type that has gotten to a very high level in that sport, but they can still do extremely well with enough drive and discipline.

I have a friend that is built for strength, he's a barrel of a human and his wrists and ankles are like 4x4 posts.

When he got out of the military he was squatting 500 lbs and could maintain his strength with minimal training. Now he's fat and out of shape, but I bet it wouldn't take him long at all to get back to a 315 squat even while being very undertrained and out of shape, even at age 40. Because he's lazy though, guys who aren't built like him will always out perform him. Shame too because he could have been extremely strong if he stuck with it.

The best of the best are there because of their work ethic, and that extra couple percent that pushes them to the top of their class is because they are built for their sport.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:14:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can you chug?

Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:19:58 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm 61 and I can hike in 5 miles and drag/carry a buck out. That's all I need.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:31:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

lol.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:52:08 AM EDT
[#44]
I can fit a biscuit into my mouth one piece at a time.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 12:30:36 PM EDT
[#45]
5"10 and 130 lbs., age 55.

I've biked 4976 miles and climbed 273,043 feet (on the bike) in the past 365 days.

FAA doc says "keep doing what you're doing".

Link Posted: 9/4/2023 12:32:42 PM EDT
[#46]
I love fitness discussions in GD??

I’m 49 by the way ??

Link Posted: 9/4/2023 1:16:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I love fitness discussions in GD??

I’m 49 by the way ??

https://i.postimg.cc/Hsd1v6pW/166-A238-C-ADF9-4-F7-A-A444-4-CE245683-EB9.jpg
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/4/2023 1:18:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I love fitness discussions in GD

I'm 49 by the way

https://i.postimg.cc/Hsd1v6pW/166-A238-C-ADF9-4-F7-A-A444-4-CE245683-EB9.jpg
View Quote
You win the whole internet today.
If I looked like you at your age I would burn all my shirts and go shirtless everywhere.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 5:30:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 5:53:14 PM EDT
[#50]
I'll be 67 this week, 5'10" @ 180#, I can still ride a mountain bike for 3 hours if I want, which I do 3 times a week. I've been doing this for over 40 years, first on road bike then the mtb.
It's fun, expensive, and good for me.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top