Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 4:02:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I really want a 10Gb switch but I need at least 6 SFP+ ports.

I also don't want to spend a fortune nor have a 200+ watt beast living in the rack.

The best options I have found are the ES-16-XG at $600 or a Mikrotik model (can't remember it offhand) that is cheaper but SwitchOS seems to be buggy and it can't do L3 at wirespeed unlike the EdgeSwitch.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 8:08:41 AM EDT
[#2]
True baller home setup:

Catalyst 9300 mGig
Catalyst 9800 WLC
Multiple 9117 AP’s
ISR 4331
ISE server for .1x Auth
DNA-Center running Assurance
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 1:14:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only reason I have the physical cloud key is because I wanted to play with it/hack on it (it's kind of part of a larger unrelated project), and it was dirt cheap for what it was. Near zero effort to just get it going. It would probably be in an app container (docker or kubernetes) otherwise. There are a lot of ways to skin that cat.

This isn't for my business, it's for my house.
View Quote
I get it.  I must have explained myself badly.

Having one unifi server for multiple locations makes things way easy.  In my case I have my house, family member's house, and a vacation property all rigged in.  If/when I need to admin stuff, it's quick, easy, and powerful.  This isn't a hobby for me, I'm not doing it because it's fun to play with, I'm doing it because it makes things easy.  And using a free AWS instance takes away almost all the server admin stuff which I don't care to deal with ever again.  I started out with a cloudkey at each but switched when I discovered I could run a free AWS instance and much prefer it this way.

If only one location it prob doesn't make any sense.  Just thought I'd mention it in case you ever find yourself in a similar situation.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 1:17:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/299375/2019-04-23_00_24_26_jpg-922030.JPG

I pulled 14 cat 6 wires at through an old air duct from the basement to the attic on the second floor to the closet in our office.  Half the basement is unfinished, so I had access to the main floor runs that way.  I also ran 10 drops to the bedrooms upstairs.  I plan on setting up an almost identical rack in the basement and will connect the two with a LAG.  I already have the rack, switch, and patch panel.  I also have one cyberpower 1500 watt UPS.  I used monoprice CAT 6 cable and cable matters patch panels and keystone connectors.
View Quote
I hope you used plenum rated wire, or else the GD safety police are going to rape you!

Link Posted: 4/23/2019 1:27:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I hope you used plenum rated wire, or else the GD safety police are going to rape you!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I pulled 14 cat 6 wires at through an old air duct from the basement to the attic on the second floor to the closet in our office.  Half the basement is unfinished, so I had access to the main floor runs that way.  I also ran 10 drops to the bedrooms upstairs.  I plan on setting up an almost identical rack in the basement and will connect the two with a LAG.  I already have the rack, switch, and patch panel.  I also have one cyberpower 1500 watt UPS.  I used monoprice CAT 6 cable and cable matters patch panels and keystone connectors.

Somebody turn on the hall monitor signal
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 1:32:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I wired CAT5 for my cameras while the house was still framed.  Made it pretty simple.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 1:38:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I wired CAT5 for my cameras while the house was still framed.  Made it pretty simple.
View Quote
Cat5 or Cat5E?
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 2:14:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If some poor bastard pulled 9 drops and terminated them for $200, you pretty much raped him with no lube.

As long as that dude didn't staple your Cat5e down (and I'm sure he didn't, since it's a retro job), you could easily pull new Cat6 by using the existing cable as a "pull string" of sorts.
View Quote
Nah... He didn't have time to staple it down.  He did put a few zip ties in the attic to keep anyone from stepping on it, but I can get to that attic space..  Yeah I gave the dude a $100 tip for his trouble, I knew he got screwed.  Even then I feel I got a good deal. I just had to take up the offer from the "new installation special."  I was quoted $150 per drop before. It was cheaper to start service for a year than pay that much per drop.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 2:29:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This is the song of my people

Mine is a total mess right now. I had 24 runs done, i should have put more in since i want to put cameras in now.

http://live.staticflickr.com/65535/32716236917_b1702c9dd5_k.jpg
View Quote
LOL ghetto mount PowerEdge.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 1:40:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used riser rated cable.  Although, the plenum that I ran the wires through is no longer in service.  It's capped on either end and at this point is nothing more than a galvanized metal shaft.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 2:39:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Years ago when I wired my house i ran 2 cat5e and 2 rg6 to all jacks in my house. 2 per bedroom and 2 in the living room. Most of it is not being used.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 10:20:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Here is the real problem with these overkill setups..

https://i.imgur.com/yrnDW17.gif?noredirect
View Quote
Not necessarily. Lots of the smaller (non-name brand) networking equipment is actually quite energy efficient. For example, most Mikrotik devices pull under 20W each and many Ubiquti devices are near that as well. I'm actually running a three router (core, plus two barns), 60 GHz backhauled,  three (managed) APs, with a 5 camera Unifi Video setup for under 100W minus the NVR.
Quoted:
There's a guy at work running a Unifi AP and switch in his fucking attic, here in north Texas. He claims there are no issues. I don't know about his attic, but mine runs about 10-15F over ambient in the summer (note to self: consider ridge vents). He's got an old Dell 2U server of some sort up there as well, which he says locks up a couple times a day during the worst of the summer.

Anyhoo, my master bedroom walk in closet is climate controlled (like the rest of the house...), and won't even come CLOSE to getting too hot. Even Cisco gear is more resilient than you think. For a few years (when I lived in Ohio), I had a Cisco 2811 ISR in my home office. The fan noise was unbearable, so I popped the case an unplugged them all. Fuck it. Turns out, a residential load ain't shit on one of these, and it ran just fine (bitching about the fans in the logs the whole time) for a good 3 years, until I moved and stopped using it. I kept an eye on the internal temps using SNMP, and the hottest it ever got it was 34C (at 25C ambient, which is like 77F). That was trying my damnedest to tax the thing, which still only amounted to like 54% CPU utilization on it. Like I said, there's only so much you can do with a residential workload. And even there, I had a site-to-site VPN tunnel going to my office, and I was purposely trying to shove a bunch of traffic over it (without an encryption accelerator, so as to tax the CPU). Didn't matter.

My current house is over the top energy efficient, and electricity is dirt fucking cheap in Texas, so I keep it at 68-70F during the dog days of summer. I'll be fine.
View Quote
I live in north Texas now...still have a lot of equipment in barns out here though. Only servers I currently have running are in climate control though. Everything else has survived freezing weather, triple digits and everything inbetween. Smaller networks without a ton of traffic through.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 12:23:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I really want a 10Gb switch but I need at least 6 SFP+ ports.

I also don't want to spend a fortune nor have a 200+ watt beast living in the rack.

The best options I have found are the ES-16-XG at $600 or a Mikrotik model (can't remember it offhand) that is cheaper but SwitchOS seems to be buggy and it can't do L3 at wirespeed unlike the EdgeSwitch.
View Quote
Talking about the CRS309-1G-8S+IN?

SwitchOS has some bugs but all of the CRS3xx series switches run RouterOS or SwitchOS (you configure which is booted into in the boot options).
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 10:43:17 PM EDT
[#14]
@Subnet how's this project going?
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 8:03:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The house I just bought has 14 drops and 6 audio zones wired. ATT just did my data setup and toned everything out for me as part of the install. Plus we have gigabit fiber.  I'm so happy I didnt have to run that cable myself. I also set up a Ubiquiti mesh system.

Now I just need to figure out what the hell to do with the audio system. I know nothing about multi zone audio. Anyone have any suggestions? All the zones have digital controllers built in to the walls with ethernet and speaker cable terminating in my office closet.  The family room is set up with 5.1 surround, the other zones are 2.1 channel.
View Quote
@BrowardMason

You are going to need a whole house audio controller in order for your zones to work.  Something like a Lync6

It sounds like the previous owner took the guts of the system since it was physically attached to the house.  He spent big bucks to get it installed.  There was probably a rack, or at least shelves to hold all of the gear.  The good news for you is most of the expensive work has already been done.

Your system will also need amp(s) and probably audio sources as well.

Each zone has have it's own source independent of the other zones.  If your keypads have inputs, you can plug a phone etc. directly into it.  That zone can send the signal to any other (or all) zones.

What can you do with all this?

You have a built in intercom system.  You can even use your phone to connect to the intercom.  You can have your doorbell go through your zones.  You can have the doorbell ding dong be any sound file you wish.  You can play Christmas music throughout the entire house.  Etc. Etc.

Setting up a whole house system is somewhat complicated.  Do you know how to determine which speaker wires go to which zones without looking up how to do it?  I don't, but it would be child's play for Subnet and others here.

I would find a good A/V guy to set up your system.  He will be able to do it for a fraction of what it would cost if you were putting it in a new house.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 12:42:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The house I just bought has 14 drops and 6 audio zones wired. ATT just did my data setup and toned everything out for me as part of the install. Plus we have gigabit fiber.  I'm so happy I didnt have to run that cable myself. I also set up a Ubiquiti mesh system.

Now I just need to figure out what the hell to do with the audio system. I know nothing about multi zone audio. Anyone have any suggestions? All the zones have digital controllers built in to the walls with ethernet and speaker cable terminating in my office closet.  The family room is set up with 5.1 surround, the other zones are 2.1 channel.
View Quote
Happen to know what brand the in wall keypads are?

Most of them are paired with a house audio amplifier/controller that lives at the headend. You typically need the same brand controller to make them work.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 1:33:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Just remember when terminating, the order does not matter, its magic.....
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 3:19:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Where are you guys getting your ubiquiti switches?

Buying new or work appropriations?

Right now i'm running CISCO small business sg200 series (real cheap off ebay and support L2 VLANS),  , but they are pretty flaky.

I wouldnt mind picking up ubiquitis at a good price.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 8:51:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Right now i'm running CISCO small business sg200 series (real cheap off ebay and support L2 VLANS),  , but they are pretty flaky.

View Quote
B&H generally has the best pricing on Ubiqiiti products that I have found.

Your experience with SG200 switches is interesting as I have been running a SG250-26P at home for 2 years that has been Rock solid as well as a SG350-28P for a year that has been the same.

We are running 4 SG250-26P's at work too now and all have been Rock solid for about a year.

I want a SG350-24F but it's over $1500 while the ES-16-XG is $600 so I'll probably wind up replacing my ES-12F with that as my core switch shortly.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 9:50:07 AM EDT
[#20]
If you run more than one or two pieces of Ubiquiti Unifi stuff, go ahead and buy a cloudkey.  It makes everything better.

Yes, you can run the management software on a pc (which may work well for you if you have an 'always on' home pc).  It only has to be online long enough to provision the devices.  But...  an 'always on' cloudkey makes everything better.  As well as reporting, if you need / want that sort of thing.

If you only purchase a single AP, you can provision it in standalone mode using ubiquiti's phone app.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 9:53:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just remember when terminating, the order does not matter, its magic.....
View Quote
Pick a standard and stick with it. You'll thank me (or someone else,) down the road.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 11:00:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
ISP Supplies (out of College Station) is where I typically get my gear. Little higher compared to Baltic Networks but in most cases ground takes a day to get almost anywhere in the state (so if you get your order in before noon you pay for ground shipping and get next day due to proximity).

Now, Streakwave is another quality supplier but aside from them hosting the open bar at the Austin MUM last month, I haven't really dealt with them much.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Cat5 or Cat5E?
View Quote
For cameras? Cat 5 is fine.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 11:07:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Best I could do with limited space and no space for a rack.

Link Posted: 4/30/2019 11:13:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

https://i.postimg.cc/kgXgjHDg/2018-05-14-20-10-49.jpg
View Quote
with that little bit of space, you did just fine.  pretty clean.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 11:15:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Your experience with SG200 switches is interesting as I have been running a SG250-26P at home for 2 years that has been Rock solid as well as a SG350-28P for a year that has been the same.

We are running 4 SG250-26P's at work too now and all have been Rock solid for about a year.

I want a SG350-24F but it's over $1500 while the ES-16-XG is $600 so I'll probably wind up replacing my ES-12F with that as my core switch shortly.
View Quote
Yeah the 250/350 series are the newer ones,  they've proven to be much more reliable, just a bit pricey.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 11:28:47 AM EDT
[#27]
OP,

I'm going to assume you had either attic space and/or unfinished basement to run these cables.  If not, how did you drill through the studs through the wall box holes?
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Probably goes without saying, keep the twisted pairs as close to their natural (in cable) state as possible all the way up to the connector.
Do not tightly tie wrap the cable bundles.

I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night but I worked for Commscope/SysteMax cable and connector division R&D and was required to be a certified installer.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 11:33:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
That hard 90 on the power cord at bottom right gave me the vapors.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 11:37:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Yeah the 250/350 series are the newer ones,  they've proven to be much more reliable, just a bit pricey.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We were lucky and scored 5 of the SG250-26P's from ProVantange for $215 each last year as they had a massive sale on them for some reason.  I bought one of them to keep as a spare at home.

I do have a SG200-8 that I just got.  It doesn't seem to be as refined as the SG250 series but it does work.  Hopefully it remains stable.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 11:38:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL...me too
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 12:17:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks!  I'll check em out.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 12:20:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

We were lucky and scored 5 of the SG250-26P's from ProVantange for $215 each last year as they had a massive sale on them for some reason.  I bought one of them to keep as a spare at home.

I do have a SG200-8 that I just got.  It doesn't seem to be as refined as the SG250 series but it does work.  Hopefully it remains stable.
View Quote
You got a killer deal.

Just update the firmware on the SG200-8 and you should be OK.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 12:26:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
When I was at HP I was fucking shocked at the stuff given to employees.  Racks, ProCurve switches, NAS units, even K Class HP-UX servers were handed out like candy.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 12:28:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
OP,

I'm going to assume you had either attic space and/or unfinished basement to run these cables.  If not, how did you drill through the studs through the wall box holes?
View Quote
Attic space (single story ranch). Drilled through the top plate, and fished through with glow rods.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 12:44:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You got a killer deal.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You got a killer deal.

I did upgrade to 1.0.8.3 but I find it insane that there isn't a newer one than that since it is 5 years old.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Attic space (single story ranch). Drilled through the top plate, and fished through with glow rods.
View Quote
Fish sticks and Flex bits made pulling through the attic easy peasy.  I'll only need to pull be cable as I add cameras. Will likely continue with Ring outside and Ubiquiti cams inside.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 1:19:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What do I win for having the crappiest wiring closet ever?

• Apple AirPort Extreme 6th-gen as the main router, with a hard drive toaster set up to run TimeMachine backups for our two computers.

• Headless Mac Mini as my VPN server

• Netgear GS108Ev3 8-port gigabit switch

• A big mess of wires that I don't have connected up

• Not pictured: 2 Apple AirPort Extreme 5th-gen as my wireless access points, wired to the switch.  I was also able to connect the blu-ray player in the next room to the switch, which is nice (that's the blue cable going up)

• Also not pictured: my cable modem, which is on the complete opposite side of my unfinished basement, because that's where the cable line comes into the house.  The previous owners had their network gear where I have mine now and just ran an ethernet cable from one side of the room to the other instead of having all the equipment in one place, so I kept the same layout.

This is in the unfinished area of my basement, underneath a jetted tub.  I like to live dangerously.
https://i.imgur.com/hA3JRdq.jpg
View Quote
I might have you beat on living dangerously.

I goofed on the shallow rack depth and had to mount my power strip backwards

I'm about to swap the Cisco gear in the vertical rack for my 4U media server. I might run one of the 3560X switches at some point since it has PoE, but their noise output is absurd.

I mainly chased existing coax drops
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 5:09:56 PM EDT
[#39]

Oh hai, neighbor! Any reason you and your dog are sniffing around my bushes, not 5 minutes after I left the house?
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 5:11:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51536/Capture2_PNG-929811.png

Oh hai, neighbor! Any reason you and your dog are sniffing around my bushes, not 5 minutes after I left the house?
View Quote
Doggie has to pee...stop looking at him

Don't your cameras have burned in timestamps?
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
One day you will get good video of me pissing in your bushes.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 5:15:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can turn them on and off at will. I don't have them overlaid in the video image, at present. I can see the exact date/time in a panel, though. I don't need to clutter the image up with an overlay.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 5:15:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of this, I have no doubt.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
True baller home setup:

Catalyst 9300 mGig
Catalyst 9800 WLC
Multiple 9117 AP’s
ISR 4331
ISE server for .1x Auth
DNA-Center running Assurance
View Quote
HOLY SH&T

Pics or
The 9800 just came out! What's next? You gonna tell me that you have a PAN as your NGFW?
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 5:28:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wonder how long that's been going on for.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 6:17:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sub-"Why is this bush always yellow?"
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 6:23:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Why?

Cat6A is a waste of money. You really going to run 10GbE to 100 meters or at all?  Cat 6 runs 10GbE to 37 meters which covers NAS or other storage to a switch.

Cat7 isn’t even a standard and you only get an extra 100MHz over 6A.

Cat 6 plain jane is just fine for home and 99% of business.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Should have gone with cat6e or cat7.
Why?

Cat6A is a waste of money. You really going to run 10GbE to 100 meters or at all?  Cat 6 runs 10GbE to 37 meters which covers NAS or other storage to a switch.

Cat7 isn’t even a standard and you only get an extra 100MHz over 6A.

Cat 6 plain jane is just fine for home and 99% of business.
This.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 6:28:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great question!
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 6:48:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

IP cameras and NAS.
View Quote
My cameras are all wireless. NAS on HDDs is slow as shit but fast enough for movies.

Wired is still meh
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 6:50:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
My cameras are all wireless. NAS on HDDs is slow as shit but fast enough for movies.

Wired is still meh
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IP cameras and NAS.

Wired is still meh
Okie dokie.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top