BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:49:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Unless the mission isn't important enough for you to do yourself and it's more important for you to just have something to bitch about...

View Quote

The Army is far from a monolithic entity in this regard. It's a two front war.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:51:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

So, for God knows how many years I've been reading on this board how bad the USAF sucks, not just at CAS, but in supporting the Army across the board.  USAF lift sucks.  We're using up our Chinooks because the USAF won't give us C-130s.  The USAF boned our C-27Js.  USAF won't provide CAS.  When USAF provides CAS they do it from too high, too fast, too complicated, not enough time on station, and on and on and on and on.

Some have made the case that for at least 25 years, the USAF hasn't supported the Army, won't support the Army, and believes that the USAF should be the supported service in every campaign.  And your solution to this is to give the USAF a different platform and hope that they will support you?

STOP BEING THE AIR FORCE'S BITCH if you're not happy with the state of play.  Stop acting like some "agreement" is the inspired word of God or requires a 2/3 majority of Congress and the States to change.  23 years and 3 wars should be long enough to wait.

Go out and buy AT-6s or Super Tucanos, or Air Tractors, dust of the A-1 TTP and update it to include employment PGMs like APKWS (yeah, Army you might actually have to finally buy some after you backed out of the program), Hellfire, and LJDAM.

Unless the mission isn't important enough for you to do yourself and it's more important for you to just have something to bitch about...

ETA - I don't have the experience to know whether or not the assertions regarding USAF support are true.  My post, above, takes them at face value.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, if the C-27J program is any indication....

So, for God knows how many years I've been reading on this board how bad the USAF sucks, not just at CAS, but in supporting the Army across the board.  USAF lift sucks.  We're using up our Chinooks because the USAF won't give us C-130s.  The USAF boned our C-27Js.  USAF won't provide CAS.  When USAF provides CAS they do it from too high, too fast, too complicated, not enough time on station, and on and on and on and on.

Some have made the case that for at least 25 years, the USAF hasn't supported the Army, won't support the Army, and believes that the USAF should be the supported service in every campaign.  And your solution to this is to give the USAF a different platform and hope that they will support you?

STOP BEING THE AIR FORCE'S BITCH if you're not happy with the state of play.  Stop acting like some "agreement" is the inspired word of God or requires a 2/3 majority of Congress and the States to change.  23 years and 3 wars should be long enough to wait.

Go out and buy AT-6s or Super Tucanos, or Air Tractors, dust of the A-1 TTP and update it to include employment PGMs like APKWS (yeah, Army you might actually have to finally buy some after you backed out of the program), Hellfire, and LJDAM.

ETA - I don't have the experience to know whether or not the assertions regarding USAF support are true.  My post, above, takes them at face value.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:52:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The Apache is useful in the full spectrum of combat. LAAR loses utility about the time the enemy acquires significant ADA capability.

The Apache can use terrain to sneak around in a way that no FW can.
View Quote

I've read from combat veteran(s) on this site that they assume that there will be no CAS if the enemy has significant air defense capability so LAAR's loss of utility is moot, unless you disagree with that assumption.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:53:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Time to get some intra-service alignment then.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:55:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both need to occur at the same time.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I've read from combat veteran(s) on this site that they assume that there will be no CAS if the enemy has significant air defense capability so LAAR's loss of utility is moot, unless you disagree with that assumption.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Apache is useful in the full spectrum of combat. LAAR loses utility about the time the enemy acquires significant ADA capability.

There is plenty of aviation to be done by LAAR aircraft on the blue side of the FEBA in MCO.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:59:14 PM EDT
[#7]
ROAR
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:59:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Time and again I see people post opinions and speculations about the use of Air Power in support of ground operations that suggests to me that there is a widespread misunderstanding of how the apparatus works.

In particular, (referencing the current frat thread) notions of the role & application of CAS, how decisions are made, and what is and is not appropriate as a CAS asset.

I will NOT discuss any particular missions/operations, nor will I disclose any capabilities or TTPs that are not common knowledge.  When in doubt, I will err on the side of OPSEC.  I just want to give the uninitiated the opportunity to learn more about Close Air Support planning, execution, and command & control.

(DISCLAIMER:  I'm pretty much going to just ignore Sylvan, should he chime in, as he has demonstrated a recalcitrant prejudice towards USAF CAS and refusal to look at the bigger picture.  So, no offense, Sylvan, but if you'd like to discuss CAS with me, we'll do it in a private forum.)

Ask away...
View Quote

In layman's terms -

If you're told that there are bad guys shooting at friendlies, and the friendlies have little or no information other than they're getting shot up, can you put together a package for that sight unseen?

How long before bad guys are dying to the package that you put together?

How long until one of your packages can supply information to the troops about what they are encountering, and what is the quality of that information?

What kind of persistence would be built into one of these packages, ie how long can they provide fire on the target?

If the troops need to share information with the aircrew, or vice versa, how many people must the information be passed through before it reaches the relevant party? How long will this take? Minimum and maximum, please.

What's the minimum time and space separation that you require between your aircraft and friendly artillery fire? MRLS fire? Enemy artillery fire? Does this separation exist for mortar fire?

I could probably think of more, but you're backlogged enough already.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why did the French provide faster CAS than the USAF everytime in 08-09?
Has the USAF learned anything from the armée de l'air to improve their performance?
Why won't USAF pilots go around the ballistic trajectories of artillery and mortars in order to provide CAS in a timely manner given a joint fires environment?  Has this problem been fixed?  Are their plans to fix this in the future?
Why can an AF pilot refuse a request to bomb a previously abandoned building that enemy forces have retreated into when the ground commander has taken responsibility?
Why were B-1s providing CAS at night at for $,$$$,$$$ and leaving station as the sun/taliban came up?
Why were effective COIN aircraft (AC-130) only available to long-tabbers?  I ask because I was in a certain location that the Taliban attacked Every. Single. Day.  There were villages that we could not get to because we'd be on pace to run out of ammo halfway there Every.  Single.  Time.  We could have provided bad guys for those thermal sights All.  Day.  Long. if there was any interest.

Do you believe there is a unnecessarily high cultural aversion to risk in the USAF?

Serious questions.
View Quote

I'm back home, and before I take my kid to the pool, I'll try to address some of these- starting with this one:

1) Why did the French provide faster CAS than the USAF during 08-09?  If you're talking about Afghanistan, the answer is: They didn't.  You see, ALL coalition aircraft lined as CAS on the ATO belonged to the ASOC.  So if what you're alleging is that the French responded to a TIC declaration, then what actually happened is that the ASOC tasked a French aircraft to a TIC.  If this became a trend, it's likely an artifact of where they were fragged to operate in the AO; the area they were fragged to also happened to be where TICs were happening.  So, regardless of which coalition parnter provided the asset to ISAF, the ASOC, under the JFACC is the one who tasked it.

2) I would say that the USAF has learned a lot from all of its coalition partners, both in what to do and what not to do.  I think the whole Libyan episode was very educational.

3) Not sure what you're asking there.  When there's metal screaming through the airspace, we tend to get our assets OUT of that airspace ricky tick.  There are lots of ACMs that are implemented to facilitate aircraft operating in a joint fire environment.  Prime example being ROZs, as well as ACMs like the Coordinating Altitutde and callouts like MAXORD in preparation to artillery fire

4) I'm assuming you're referring to something specific and anecdotal.  My default answer would be twofold:  First, there are the ROE.  Secondly, NO ONE, except for the CFACC himself, can assume responsibility for an aircraft's bombs over the aircraft commander.

5) Not enough information, but I assume that night just happened to be when they were fragged to fly.  B-1s, as a function of their operating altitude, should have no problems during a daytime sortie.  If they left while they were still needed, I can only assume that they were out of gas.

6) AC-130's are owned by SOCOM in theater.  Not even I could get them.  I would have LOVED to have authority over them.  They're incredible assets, if limited in the times they fly.  Unfortunately, they are exceedingly rare.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:07:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What is your most important lesson learned from your deployment?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Time and again I see people post opinions and speculations about the use of Air Power in support of ground operations that suggests to me that there is a widespread misunderstanding of how the apparatus works.

In particular, (referencing the current frat thread) notions of the role & application of CAS, how decisions are made, and what is and is not appropriate as a CAS asset.

I will NOT discuss any particular missions/operations, nor will I disclose any capabilities or TTPs that are not common knowledge.  When in doubt, I will err on the side of OPSEC.  I just want to give the uninitiated the opportunity to learn more about Close Air Support planning, execution, and command & control.

(DISCLAIMER:  I'm pretty much going to just ignore Sylvan, should he chime in, as he has demonstrated a recalcitrant prejudice towards USAF CAS and refusal to look at the bigger picture.  So, no offense, Sylvan, but if you'd like to discuss CAS with me, we'll do it in a private forum.)

Ask away...

What is your most important lesson learned from your deployment?

I'd say it's that ALWAYS having a Plan B, Plan C, .... Plan Z are critical.  (Be flexible)
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:08:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

agreed, but it isn't that much better.

Apaches orbit and it sucks when they do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What do you see happening with the the AC130s now that the Harvest Hawks are up and running?

Nothing. Side firing aircraft are the best CAS platforms available.

agreed, but it isn't that much better.

Apaches orbit and it sucks when they do it.

Apaches don't hover as high or nearly as long as a c130. The AC130 is like a mythical creature while the Harvest Hawk is ready to go with "precision" weapons. Imagine if the Army could afford to provide organic CAS over watch for line company patrols.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:29:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

70 years of inertia are hard to overcome.

But you are fundamentally correct.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:30:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Boils my blood really.  Tell the customer they don't know what they are talking about, don't know what they need, don't know how things are run by upper management of an abortion organization with no loyalty to sister services, then cite some freaking desk jockey USAF officer as a reliable source of info on the customer.

S13gmund:  Your inability to correctly use the English language isn't inspiring any confidence in the customer.  It could easily be interpreted that if someone in such an important position can't spell, maybe they shouldn't be managing the Air Support Operations Center for an entire AOR.  Am I correct to conclude that you are an officer?  The next chain of logical thought is, "If these guys can't screen, hire, train, and retain officers that know 4th grade English (their vs. there), what are the JTACs doing punching in grids?"

Reminds me of the days when I had to threaten officers with calling the waste, fraud, and abuse hotline when then were filling waste baskets with aborted attempts at printing a legible document for soldier awards or other admin paperwork.  They were never trusted with anything close to the entire Air Operations Center of a campaign though.

I had friends on ODA-574, so this isn't a theoretical fun argument for me.  Some of our Nation's greatest men were lost that day, especially JD.

http://hansdevreij.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/oda-574-and-hamid-karzai-november-20011.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With all due respect, Sylvan, about 5 years ago we were in a discussion on CAS, that me and my fellow ALOs wanted to respond to.  CC got word of it, and was familiar with you professionally.  We were told to not engage in any discussions with you as he believed that 1) you didn't know what you were talking about, and 2) you were too opinionated and limited in your views to make any discussion worthwhile.

I don't want to get into it with you here.  I'm respectfully asking you to try something new - just for today... stay off the keyboard and just READ for once.  You never know.  You might actually learn something.

If I have to actually use the /ignore feature to eliminate the distraction, I will.

This tells me all I need to know.

You want to have another Amway sales presentation where no dissention is allowed.

I've got over 24 hours of USAF airpower instruction. During every block, every instructor save one gave the same appeal to authority.

Boils my blood really.  Tell the customer they don't know what they are talking about, don't know what they need, don't know how things are run by upper management of an abortion organization with no loyalty to sister services, then cite some freaking desk jockey USAF officer as a reliable source of info on the customer.

S13gmund:  Your inability to correctly use the English language isn't inspiring any confidence in the customer.  It could easily be interpreted that if someone in such an important position can't spell, maybe they shouldn't be managing the Air Support Operations Center for an entire AOR.  Am I correct to conclude that you are an officer?  The next chain of logical thought is, "If these guys can't screen, hire, train, and retain officers that know 4th grade English (their vs. there), what are the JTACs doing punching in grids?"

Reminds me of the days when I had to threaten officers with calling the waste, fraud, and abuse hotline when then were filling waste baskets with aborted attempts at printing a legible document for soldier awards or other admin paperwork.  They were never trusted with anything close to the entire Air Operations Center of a campaign though.

I had friends on ODA-574, so this isn't a theoretical fun argument for me.  Some of our Nation's greatest men were lost that day, especially JD.

http://hansdevreij.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/oda-574-and-hamid-karzai-november-20011.jpg

Revisiting...

I'm going to try to keep a respectful tone here.  Your lack of respectful bearing and quibbling demeanor call into question your professionalism.  Instead of taking the opportunity to have a discussion, where people can learn from each other, you decided to harp on petty typos?  This shows me you have poor prioritization skills, so it's good for everyone that you were never entrusted with the responsibility of tasking CAS in response to enemy action.  But now that I'm on a proper keyboard, I expect my typing will come closer to meeting your expectations.  You may want to search out some of my other thread for a more representative sample of my general composition skills.  I might recommend my thread on my visit to Auschwitz for starters.

But I digress.

The thing is, you're too focused on the "customer".  "Well, isn't CAS supposed to support the ARMY???"

Well... and this might be a hard pill to swallow, but the answer to that is "kind of".  The ultimate goal in any operation is to support strategy.  And while the loss of any life is tragic, and mission success is never guaranteed, you have to make tough decisions and do the best with what you can.

Those airplanes you'd like every ground unit to have?  Yeah... they don't exist.  Neither does the gas to keep them all aloft.  Same goes for the maintainers who make them go vrrroooom!  Not enough of those guys.  Tankers to bring in the gas?  They're preciously rare as well.  Airfields?  Nope... not enough of them... and they've got a nasty habit of taking a lot of time and resources to build if they don't happen to be conveniently located where you want them.  Bombs?  Expensive, have to be transported from point A to point B... something something fuses and oh yeah... limited resource as well.  Air power is HDLD-  High Demand, Low Density.  It has to be rationed out...

Air Support Request for overwatch turned down on your convoy?  That sucks, but your convoy didn't rate in the CFC's priorities.  Take it up with Fires.  You only got CAS AFTER a TIC declared?  Well... good.  I hope it got there in time and did some good.  The USAF can't teleport aircraft.  Crew duty days are limited (though with some flex).  Maintenance hours are brutal.

Air power has to be consolidated in order to make the whole thing work.  You have to look at second, third, fourth order effects.  Gas, life support, foot print, ammo, Mx, etc.  You cut that up into every Joe wants his A-10 and what do you get?

If people like ARFCOM's little darling Sylvan got their way you'd have a bunch of broke jets, no gas for them, no ammo, no way to get ammo or gas, dead maintainers, and overrun airfields.

It's a very naive and selfish way of looking at it.  "*I* want *my* CAS, because... because... da guys on the ground!!!"

Yeah I get it.  You're looking at a CRT monitor trying to tell me that it's a computer.  You don't understand.

I've actually sat in the chair and had to make the call that, nope... sorry army unit... you don't get CAS for your convoy, even when I've had a bad feeling about it for whatever reason.  But you have to keep your priorities in line with strategy.  Sometimes those decisions have cost lives, and that sucks, but in the end, it's not about the troops, ti's about mission accomplishment.

At the same time, I've also gone toe-to-toe with Fires or the SODO, and re-allocated airpower that- if I stuck strictly to the numbers, I wouldn't have been totally justified in.  In each of those instances, I had to have that decision supported by hard facts, and I had to fight for it, perform a mountain of coordination and consultation with units who'd then go without support until a backfill could be worked...  and I had to be ready to stand on the carpet.

So you and folks like you can whine about the magic that is air power not fulfilling your desires without ever understanding the gigantic octopus of factors that make it happen.  That's ok.  It also makes me somewhat relieved that the USAF is the one executing, because our way- we're saving a LOT more friendlies and killing a LOT more baddies.

I'm off to take my kid to the pool.  I expect this thread will be way more interesting when I return.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:35:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Its not like the corps has hundreds of KC-130s at their disposal and they will still fly during the fucking daytime.

The airforce struggle for relevance in the GWOT has been laughable to watch. Like a fat girl throwing herself at the captain of the football team. AFSOC and airlift are the only real contributions that would have been missed if they had sat out and spent the last 10yrs preparing for space war with china instead of acting like they give a shit about moving mud.

They can tack "expeditionary"  in front of anything they want but it doesnt mean anyone believes it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:38:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is an armed Army fixed wing aircraft, right?

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:38:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

At the same time, I've also gone toe-to-toe with Fires or the SODO, and re-allocated airpower that- if I stuck strictly to the numbers, I wouldn't have been totally justified in.  In each of those instances, I had to have that decision supported by hard facts, and I had to fight for it, perform a mountain of coordination and consultation with units who'd then go without support until a backfill could be worked...  and I had to be ready to stand on the carpet.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:45:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Have any fast movers done gun runs on ground targets at all?

'Cause that would give me blood flow.

Just off the top of my head.
View Quote

Without a doubt he has answered this, but I can tell you they did some for us in Iraq, and we were very appreciative.  

Then they got a bit too froggy, and fucked up one of our guys.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:58:28 PM EDT
[#18]
CAS Explained.
Army/ Airforce

Marines / Navy

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 3:00:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Your ad hominem attacks and snarky remarks aren't going to get you the response you wanted.  Considering that this post has been made entirely from an iPhone while sitting in a car dealership waiting room I'd say it's a literary masterpiece.

To the argument about virgins or hotdog vendors, how about saying to a surgeon, who has performed thousands of surgeries and hundreds of appendectomies: "oh, you've never had an appendectomy befor? But you've performed hundreds of them successfully? You have no business performing appendectomies!"

See? I can do analogies too.  But more on that later.  I'm in the parking lot at work and need to go in.  I'll return to this thread later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With all due respect, Sylvan, about 5 years ago we were in a discussion on CAS, that me and my fellow ALOs wanted to respond to.  CC got word of it, and was familiar with you professionally.  We were told to not engage in any discussions with you as he believed that 1) you didn't know what you were talking about, and 2) you were too opinionated and limited in your views to make any discussion worthwhile.

I don't want to get into it with you here.  I'm respectfully asking you to try something new - just for today... stay off the keyboard and just READ for once.  You never know.  You might actually learn something.

If I have to actually use the /ignore feature to eliminate the distraction, I will.

You want to have another Amway sales presentation where no dissention is allowed.

I've got over 24 hours of USAF airpower instruction. During every block, every instructor save one gave the same appeal to authority.

Your ad hominem attacks and snarky remarks aren't going to get you the response you wanted.  Considering that this post has been made entirely from an iPhone while sitting in a car dealership waiting room I'd say it's a literary masterpiece.

To the argument about virgins or hotdog vendors, how about saying to a surgeon, who has performed thousands of surgeries and hundreds of appendectomies: "oh, you've never had an appendectomy befor? But you've performed hundreds of them successfully? You have no business performing appendectomies!"

See? I can do analogies too.  But more on that later.  I'm in the parking lot at work and need to go in.  I'll return to this thread later.

The only guy I'll allow to perform an appendectomy on me:

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 3:00:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 3:03:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Revisiting...

I'm going to try to keep a respectful tone here.  Your lack of respectful bearing and quibbling demeanor call into question your professionalism.  Instead of taking the opportunity to have a discussion, where people can learn from each other, you decided to harp on petty typos?  This shows me you have poor prioritization skills, so it's good for everyone that you were never entrusted with the responsibility of tasking CAS in response to enemy action.  But now that I'm on a proper keyboard, I expect my typing will come closer to meeting your expectations.  You may want to search out some of my other thread for a more representative sample of my general composition skills.  I might recommend my thread on my visit to Auschwitz for starters.

But I digress.

The thing is, you're too focused on the "customer".  "Well, isn't CAS supposed to support the ARMY???"

Well... and this might be a hard pill to swallow, but the answer to that is "kind of".  The ultimate goal in any operation is to support strategy.  And while the loss of any life is tragic, and mission success is never guaranteed, you have to make tough decisions and do the best with what you can.

Those airplanes you'd like every ground unit to have?  Yeah... they don't exist.  Neither does the gas to keep them all aloft.  Same goes for the maintainers who make them go vrrroooom!  Not enough of those guys.  Tankers to bring in the gas?  They're preciously rare as well.  Airfields?  Nope... not enough of them... and they've got a nasty habit of taking a lot of time and resources to build if they don't happen to be conveniently located where you want them.  Bombs?  Expensive, have to be transported from point A to point B... something something fuses and oh yeah... limited resource as well.  Air power is HDLD-  High Demand, Low Density.  It has to be rationed out...

Air Support Request for overwatch turned down on your convoy?  That sucks, but your convoy didn't rate in the CFC's priorities.  Take it up with Fires.  You only got CAS AFTER a TIC declared?  Well... good.  I hope it got there in time and did some good.  The USAF can't teleport aircraft.  Crew duty days are limited (though with some flex).  Maintenance hours are brutal.

Air power has to be consolidated in order to make the whole thing work.  You have to look at second, third, fourth order effects.  Gas, life support, foot print, ammo, Mx, etc.  You cut that up into every Joe wants his A-10 and what do you get?

If people like ARFCOM's little darling Sylvan got their way you'd have a bunch of broke jets, no gas for them, no ammo, no way to get ammo or gas, dead maintainers, and overrun airfields.

It's a very naive and selfish way of looking at it.  "*I* want *my* CAS, because... because... da guys on the ground!!!"

Yeah I get it.  You're looking at a CRT monitor trying to tell me that it's a computer.  You don't understand.

I've actually sat in the chair and had to make the call that, nope... sorry army unit... you don't get CAS for your convoy, even when I've had a bad feeling about it for whatever reason.  But you have to keep your priorities in line with strategy.  Sometimes those decisions have cost lives, and that sucks, but in the end, it's not about the troops, ti's about mission accomplishment.

So you and folks like you can whine about the magic that is air power not fulfilling your desires without ever understanding the gigantic octopus of factors that make it happen.  That's ok.  It also makes me somewhat relieved that the USAF is the one executing, because our way- we're saving a LOT more friendlies and killing a LOT more baddies.

I'm off to take my kid to the pool.  I expect this thread will be way more interesting when I return.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Revisiting...

But I digress.

Roger. I basically grew up an Air Force brat, although my dad was a DOD scientist/engineer for many of the systems you have managed operationally....LANTIRN, F-15E, B-1B, JDAM, GH, etc.

I'm quite aware of the USAF force structure and the limitations of assets, 2nd-4th order effects, and you're making our argument for us with this post.

When I was a kid, the gee whiz multimillion dollar fast movers were awesome to watch at air shows, climb into, and witness day after day.  

They aren't really ideal platforms for the types of wars we have been fighting, except for maybe Desert Storm.

I'm a team player, and never was in a unit that requested air for convoy movements.  We didn't really do convoys.  I spent all my time on foot, usually well forward of the FEBA, or pressing it.

I don't need to be brought up to speed on how things work, or the logistics and asset management side for USAF.

I know that every lower echelon unit isn't going to have their personal A-10 on standby, believe me.  Even when they are priority to you, time to station feels like an eternity, and I've called in both F-16C's and A-10A's.  Biggest problem is that they don't have a lot of loiter time, and once the ordnance is dumped, they're gone.  The A-10 is obviously better equipped of the two, but still lacks the loiter time we really need.  Once they are there, accuracy of the system is often less than ideal, fratricide aside, and then they are gone.

The source of these problems boils down to several factors:

* Disconnect in US foreign policy and tools for implementation of that policy
* Lack of integration of Joint Component Land Forces and Joint Component Air Forces
* Inter-service rivalry, not on the same team, friction
* USAF doctrine
* Army doctrine
* USAF control of FW CAS
* CAS platforms being envisioned, designed, and manufactured to a set of performance capabilities that are out of touch with reality

I think integrating the training, development, and assignments of the delivery truck drivers and consumers could go a long way to addressing this, in a worst-case scenario where we are left stuck with the same equipment, but I am realistic in saying that the egos involved will stand in the way of that.

What we were doing in Millennium Challenge seemed to show some promise in terms of breaking down the service barriers, even though it was a RIGEX as to outcome, but I saw a lot of potential to eroding the service rivalry we all have been trained to follow by the cultures of the services, rather than play on the same team.  Sorry for coming across as accusatory and critical of your typos.  I'm pretty OCD when it comes to handheld commo devices.

We do need to address the Air Component force structure for asymmetric warfare campaigns, rather than try to force a Cold War framework onto expeditionary operations that require tailoring the force.  

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 3:07:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

lol

When some people talk about how some Air Force officers are arrogant and condescending, I didn't really understand what they meant.

Until now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And while the loss of any life is tragic, and mission success is never guaranteed, you have to make tough decisions and do the best with what you can.

Air Support Request for overwatch turned down on your convoy?  That sucks, but your convoy didn't rate in the CFC's priorities.  Take it up with Fires.  

If people like ARFCOM's little darling Sylvan ...

It's a very naive and selfish way of looking at it.

You don't understand.

I've actually sat in the chair and had to make the call that, nope... sorry army unit... you don't get CAS for your convoy, even when I've had a bad feeling about it for whatever reason.  But you have to keep your priorities in line with strategy.  

Sometimes those decisions have cost lives, and that sucks, but in the end, it's not about the troops, ti's about mission accomplishment.

So you and folks like you can whine about the magic that is air power not fulfilling your desires without ever understanding the gigantic octopus of factors that make it happen.  That's ok .

lol

When some people talk about how some Air Force officers are arrogant and condescending, I didn't really understand what they meant.

Until now.

With all the dick measuring going on in this thread I'd say he's just performing to the level of his competition.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 3:15:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Have you ever had a pilot refuse orders?
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 3:16:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Ask a guy who has never had OPCON over every single fixed wing close air support asset in an entire theater of war how close air support should be run.

Check.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ask a guy who has never received CAS anything you want to know about CAS.

Any virgins want to give some pointers on sex while we are at it?

Ask a guy who has never had OPCON over every single fixed wing close air support asset in an entire theater of war how close air support should be run.

Check.

Just some random guy here, but take a listen:

Sylvan has brought up some pretty scathing critiques of the current CAS situation, as it relates to the Air Force.  Frankly, the defenders of the status quo from the AF have been, well, less than impressive.  "We do it that way because policy says to do it that way" Don't impress me or most Americans.  Nor does it appear that they impress Sylvan.

I realize that you can really only speak to your job, which I'm reasonably sure that you do to the best of your abilities.  But frankly, there are some problems with the way that your entire mission is formed.  This may be beyond the scope of what you planned to discuss here (and in fairness some of that may be truly sensitive), but if you want to be taken seriously, I'm going to suggest that you have some willingness to examine the failures in the system on your side.

The Air Force has given the constant impression that it's exactly what Sylvan says it is:  A fighter jocks flying club who's primarily interested in making sure that it acquires the maximum number of F-35's that it can, at the expense of everything else.  From it's extensive issues in it's ballistic missile force, to it's constant desire to shut down any programs that aren't the F-35, it doesn't leave me with the impression that the Air Force has a desire to be a wise steward of the tax dollars that the American people give it, nor that it has a desire to truly support the missions given the armed forces by the civilian leadership of the military.  

Defend your position, defend your service, but don't think that you can just pick and choose questions in an AMA and dodge the tough ones.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 3:17:32 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

the army can have armed, manned rotary wing
the army can have unarmed, manned fixed wing (though we are effectively out of that business now)
the army can have armed, unmanned fixed wing.
the army cannot have armed manned fixed wing because it makes the baby jesus cry.

all that being said, UAVs are good at some missions.  Specifically Surveillance, where they are the tits.

CAS isn't one of them, however, unless you define CAS as smack-a-grid.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 3:23:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

the army can have unarmed, manned fixed wing (though we are effectively out of that business now)
the army cannot have armed manned fixed wing because it makes the baby jesus cry.

all that being said, UAVs are good at some missions.  Specifically Surveillance, where they are the tits.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

My point being that armed UAVs weren't covered in the Key West agreement.  Neither were attack helicopters.  Both of those items were negotiated after the fact.  The agreement wasn't engraved in stone tablets by God.  If Army can wedge in capabilities beyond the original recon and MEDEVAC, it can keep pushing the limit and incorporate armed light turboprops.  

Army cares enough to make a case for an organic capability or it doesn't.

You've already made the case that the USAF is either not up to the mission or accords it a priority so low that everything else will come ahead of CAS.  Stop going to the well.  It's clearly dry.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

lol

Until now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And while the loss of any life is tragic, and mission success is never guaranteed, you have to make tough decisions and do the best with what you can.

Air Support Request for overwatch turned down on your convoy?  That sucks, but your convoy didn't rate in the CFC's priorities.  Take it up with Fires.  

You don't understand.

I've actually sat in the chair and had to make the call that, nope... sorry army unit... you don't get CAS for your convoy, even when I've had a bad feeling about it for whatever reason.  But you have to keep your priorities in line with strategy.  

Sometimes those decisions have cost lives, and that sucks, but in the end, it's not about the troops, ti's about mission accomplishment.

So you and folks like you can whine about the magic that is air power not fulfilling your desires without ever understanding the gigantic octopus of factors that make it happen.  That's ok .

lol

Until now.

i was going to reply to that spew of bullshit, but I realized the more he types, the more he makes my point.

FOBBIT lecturing meat eaters.
5 SF guys will never take their kids to the pool again because of attitudes like that.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 3:24:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

My point being that armed UAVs weren't covered in the Key West agreement.  Neither were attack helicopters.  Both of those items were negotiated after the fact.  The agreement wasn't engraved in stone tablets by God.  If Army can wedge in capabilities beyond the original recon and MEDEVAC, it can keep pushing the limit and incorporate armed light turboprops.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.
Casey wanted no fixed wing in the Army.

So the guy who got relieved in Iraq is the one choosing the strategic direction of the army.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 3:27:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Agreed.

So the guy who got relieved in Iraq is the one choosing the strategic direction of the army.
View Quote

Gone for more than 3 years now.  Time, tide, and formation wait for no man.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 3:28:00 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
With all the dick measuring going on in this thread I'd say he's just performing to the level of his competition.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't understand.

lol

Until now.

Yeah, agreed.

And the irony is thick.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 3:28:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Agreed.
Casey wanted no fixed wing in the Army.*

View Quote

* except for his DV airlift C-12, C-20 and C-37s...

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 3:28:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

you're a sorta sailor, inertia mean anything to you?
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 3:30:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You've already made the case that the USAF is either not up to the mission or accords it a priority so low that everything else will come ahead of CAS.  Stop going to the well.  It's clearly dry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They did that once upon a time... OV-1 Mohawk. The USAF was less than pleased and tried to kill it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

lol

Until now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't understand.

lol

Until now.

you should try sitting in a meeting with some chairforce asshole spouting that horseshit with their usual perspective of powerpoint and excel-as-warfare... and try not going over the table at them.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 3:31:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yeah, agreed.

And the irony is thick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't understand.

lol

Until now.

Yeah, agreed.

And the irony is thick.

key difference is he has sat in the chair.
I have walked up the mountain.

Its my ass thats on the line, not his.
Its funny he can talk about mission accomplishment mattering when AC-130s won't fly during the day.  but somehow the bulletproof Kiowas and Apaches can do it (not to mention Chinooks and Blackhawks.)

If the AF gave 10% of the fuck about mission accomplishment as they do service equities, there'd be no complaints from stupid little infantryman like me.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 3:48:21 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Blowing up significant air defense is what actually should be the air forces job.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 3:53:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
SO what we have here ... The OP runs a food delivery service business.  He feeds hot meals to thousands every day.  These are delivered hot, fresh and ready to eat.  He has a limited budget, not enough delivery trucks and he is proud of the delicious meals despite the lack of resources

On the other side, we have the patrons telling him he is serving breakfast for dinner, dinner at midnight, his food is cold and nobody was hungry by the time it arrived.  

That about sum it up?

TRG

View Quote

Hysterical analysis

Love this thread though. Tag.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 3:55:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Its funny he can talk about mission accomplishment mattering when AC-130s won't fly during the day.  but somehow the bulletproof Kiowas and Apaches can do it (not to mention Chinooks and Blackhawks.)

If the AF gave 10% of the fuck about mission accomplishment as they do service equities, there'd be no complaints from stupid little infantryman like me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't understand.

lol

Until now.

Yeah, agreed.

And the irony is thick.

I respect your opinion but in the grand scheme of things... whoopty-fuckin-doo.
Your opinion doesn't matter more because your life is on the line. Sorry but it doesn't work that way. Everybody has a job to do. You do yours, the guy in the chair does his. Nobody's going to do it all and nobody in this thread has the ability to change current policy on CAS. So sitting here bitching at each other over something you really can't do anything about is an exercise in mental masturbation.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 3:55:12 PM EDT
[#40]
There needs to be different force structure packages by design.

* One for conventional war that no military in the world will ever want to go toe to toe with

* The one we actually go to war with

We've been fighting wars with the former for a long time now, and they just don't fit, especially the air component.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 4:00:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Your opinion doesn't matter more because your life is on the line. Sorry but it doesn't work that way. Everybody has a job to do. You do yours, the guy in the chair does his. Nobody's going to do it all and nobody in this thread has the ability to change current policy on CAS. So sitting here bitching at each other over something you really can't do anything about is an exercise in mental masturbation.
View Quote

so dead soldiers aren't a strategic liability?

"support" what does that mean, anyway?

Having been on the receiving end of Army style support and AF style support, the AF sucks at it.

And they do it while costing a fortune.  maybe you should GAF as a taxpayer.

Gotta ask, what do you do in blue?
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

* One for conventional war that no military in the world will ever want to go toe to toe with

We've been fighting wars with the former for a long time now, and they just don't fit, especially the air component.
View Quote

That's true for both strategic services, the USN as well.  So when there isn't enough money to procure two fighting forces, one for MCO and one for LIC/COIN, which do you procure and structure for?  You can fight LIC with an MCO force, granted not as efficiently as if you were using a force tailored to specific needs.  You absolutely cannot fight MCO with a force optimized for COIN/LIC.  

The USN cannot be 50% littoral and COIN focused forces, and neither can the AF.  In light of budget realities we procure for the toughest fight and adapt those tools to our low intensity needs.  

It's not as if the Army was equipped to fight the type of wars we have been fighting for the last decade either.  The truth is it's easier and quicker to replace thin skinned Humvees with MRAPs (all of which are getting scrapped now, several billion dollars later) than it is to procure new aircraft or ships.  The timeline is simply different.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 4:02:04 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 4:06:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That's true for both strategic services, the USN as well.  So when there isn't enough money to procure two fighting forces, one for MCO and one for LIC/COIN, which do you procure and structure for?  You can fight LIC with an MCO force, granted not as efficiently as if you were using a force tailored to specific needs.  You absolutely cannot fight MCO with a force optimized for COIN/LIC.  

The USN cannot be 50% littoral and COIN focused forces, and neither can the AF.  In light of budget realities we procure for the toughest fight and adapt those tools to our low intensity needs.  

It's not as if the Army was equipped to fight the type of wars we have been fighting for the last decade either.  The truth is it's easier and quicker to replace thin skinned Humvees with MRAPs (all of which are getting scrapped now, several billion dollars later) than it is to procure new aircraft or ships.  The timeline is simply different.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LAAR was doable.  We did MRAPs.  We did UAVs.  AF chose not to.  I'd be curious to find out where the demand came from from 07-09 and why it went away.
And the utilization of C130s, at least in Afghanistan, was ridiculously low.

CH-47s flying from one C-130 airstrip to another.

Intratheater airlift can be a life saver.  But with our rotary wing pissed away doing the AF's job, you end up driving.  and you end up dying.

and it takes more soldiers to cover the same AO when you are road bound.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Have you ever had a pilot refuse orders?
View Quote

I had an A-10 driver refuse to go home. Long story best not typed on an phone
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#46]
This thread would make so much more sense to me if I knew what any of these acronyms meant.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 4:09:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This thread would make so much more sense to me if I knew what any of these acronyms meant.
View Quote

generally speaking we make them up as we go.

you can infer meaning from context.

it would probably make the thread more fun and informative.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

LAAR was doable.  We did MRAPs.  We did UAVs.  AF chose not to.  I'd be curious to find out where the demand came from from 07-09 and why it went away.
And the utilization of C130s, at least in Afghanistan, was ridiculously low.

CH-47s flying from one C-130 airstrip to another.

Intratheater airlift can be a life saver.  But with our rotary wing pissed away doing the AF's job, you end up driving.  and you end up dying.

and it takes more soldiers to cover the same AO when you are road bound.
View Quote

On LAAR, I agree. We created the MC-12 in record time and had them in theater.  

On intra-theater airlift, I can only speak authoritatively about Iraq since I was part of that mission.  What base in Afg did/do we have with sufficient ramp space for a reasonable number of C-130s?  

In my last C-130 deployment we only missed one scheduled sortie in four months, and we moved hundreds of thousands of personnel and millions of pounds of cargo all over Iraq.  The unit moved heaven and earth to meet our taskings, with broken down old E model C-130s primarily.  

I've heard the frustrations about our inter-theater lift posted by yourself and others that really show a fundamental lack of understanding of the system.  I was able to use it to (legally and by the book) move cargo and personnel all over the theater on literally 30 minutes notice, I'm sorry that every logistician can't be bothered to learn how to do the same.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 4:22:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Having been on the receiving end of Army style support and AF style support, the AF sucks at it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey, like I said. I respect your opinion. Yes, absolutely, dead soldiers are a problem. I'm just suggesting that your opinion isn't going to change a damn thing. So maybe you shouldn't get so amped up. You're very emotional about something OP didn't create and neither of you can change. Such decisions are made way above your pay grade. Doesn't mean you don't have a right to an opinion but getting so wrapped up in it and pointlessly aiming your ire at OP because his opinion (which is equally inconsequential in the long run) is ultimately futile. Do it all you can... put all your effort into it... then step back and analyze what you've accomplished.

And don't worry about the nature of the badge and gun I carry nor the authority I've been granted. Trust me, you wouldn't be impressed. But I refuse to drag my position into this just so you can continue your dick measuring contest. I have more respect for my position than to waste it in that way, as tame as my badge may be. Now put your dick away and chill a little.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 4:24:18 PM EDT
[#50]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ask a guy who has never received CAS anything you want to know about CAS.

Any virgins want to give some pointers on sex while we are at it?

http://media.giphy.com/media/K9hUiV4BiOwgM/giphy.gif

Remember when Dick Butkus did that?  
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top