Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 9:26:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Is there any particular reason why manufacturers could not just have picked up from where Armalite/Artillerie Inrichtingen/Colt left off with the real AR-10s once companies started to get into the 7.62mm AR market?  Did Colt or someone else still have rights to the design keeping others from making more or developing the design further?  Was there some other reason?  Or is that just a route that companies chose voluntarily?  I know that at this point it'd just be introducing yet another spec into the market, which is why Brownell's didn't go that route for its retro line, but went DPMS-based, instead.  But that wasn't an issue back in the day.

The different specs do get more frustrating it you use some of the less common variants.  I want to do a build based off of the LAR-8 eventually since I have a shit-ton of FAL mags already, but finding compatible accessories and other parts outside of what RRA makes is very difficult.  Doesn't seem to be much available from what I can tell.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 9:27:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It has nothing to do with the concept of the rifle itself and everything to do with nothing seems to standardized.
View Quote

Nothing was EVER standardized for the AR-10 platform.

A friend of mine built one from a stripped lower. Took him about two years to get it sorted out and functional.

If I wanted an AR-10, I would buy one manufactured and fully assembled.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A friend of mine built one from a stripped lower. Took him about two years to get it sorted out and functional.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It has nothing to do with the concept of the rifle itself and everything to do with nothing seems to standardized.

I must have been lucky. I put my AP M5E1 together without a hitch and it's run flawlessly.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 9:44:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What kind of build is that?  Oh.....PSA.   Should have built an Aero instead.
View Quote
I built an Aero M5. It's what killed my interest in ever buying or building another AR type rifle in full length rifle calibers. I was so excited to finish it, and it's been to the range twice. If times get tough it's the first rifle I'd sell.

I constantly think about flipping it and getting a cheap FAL instead.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 9:44:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm glad all the boomers have come out to show off their 2k rifles they bought complete from the gun store and shoot once or twice a year and how great they are while simultaneously missing the point that a certain pattern rifle should have basically interchangeable parts.  For God's sakes they figured that shit out in the early 1800's building muskets.

Link Posted: 11/25/2022 9:46:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm glad all the boomers have come out to show off their 2k rifles they bought complete from the gun store and shoot once or twice a year and how great they are while simultaneously missing the point that a certain pattern rifle should have basically interchangeable parts.  For God's sakes they figured that shit out in the early 1800's building muskets.

View Quote

Are you retarded?  They are different rifles…

Der…ma Corvette parts don’t fit on a mustang!
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 9:50:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Correct. Knights did that, buy a Knights, stop being poor, stop complaining bastardizations don't work.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 9:56:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The AR10 doesn't suck, your AR10 sucks
View Quote

Right
I thought this was going to be a 308 vs. ***
Not I got some incompatible crap parts.

Link Posted: 11/25/2022 10:01:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

SPNI
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 10:04:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/25/2022 10:13:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

This ! Sometimes no matter what you buy you can get a Lemon.  I have a S&W M&P 10 and i love it
Accurate/ reliable and fun to shoot. ??????
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 10:16:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I miss my sr25 emc.  100% reliable and wayyy more accurate than i am capable of.  It also wasn’t anywhere near the current going rate for sr25’s
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 10:27:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I have an AR10 built on a billet 80 lower. Use the right parts there won’t be an issue.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 10:35:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Used the arfcom M5 thread and meticulously researched and planned what I wanted to build and this was the result. Many of the parts were purchased from members here in the EE.

It’s run perfectly since the first round I ever put through it. Sorry you just guessed, op. I don’t know anything about the parts/manufacturers you mentioned, but I can say that it sounds like you either have some seriously out of spec parts or you just didn’t make an effort to do any research and you got what you should have expected.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 10:37:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Skip bad AR10, go straight to glorious SR25

View Quote
This is the way
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 10:38:29 PM EDT
[#16]
i went though the same thing with a project i called "polish a turd" started with an aero lower and a psa upper. i didn't do my research. well it bit me, so i installed an aero upper, fixed the problem but i hated it.   i have never met an ar10 i liked to shoot. im sure they exsist, i just havent found one.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 10:44:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Did you know these things going in?  The part about there not really being a standard?  I did. That’s why I bought everything from one manufacturer.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 10:45:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  My AR10 is badass.  I didn't go as cheap as I could, though.

Link Posted: 11/25/2022 10:48:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I have 3.

One of which is a Gen 1 PSA 18" and it is a d**k mod tack driver....
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 10:59:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah dude, cheap/budget and large frame AR don’t go together unless you like troubleshooting rifles.

You can get lucky, and getting lucky has become a lot more commonplace over the past few years, but there’s no guarantees and you’re still asking for problems.

I have an Aero M5 build that has now been through a number of different barrel/BCG combos (with only the first being problematic).  First one with a Seekins BCG and Criterion barrel.  That combo ate three bolts, the original and replacement Seekins bolt plus a JP bolt.  Ended up being an out of spec cam track in the carrier causing the bolt lugs to impact the receiver extension pretty severely.

Replaced with a .308 Lilja barrel and a Fulton Armory BCG.   That setup ran flawlessly and was an absolute tack driver.  Recently replaced them with a Wilson Combat 6.5C barrel and a JP HP bolt.  Both also run flawlessly and accuracy testing is looking promising.

Still, if I want another AR pattern gun to shoot .308 sized cartridges, I’m going with a POF or other similar small frame gun.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 11:05:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 11:08:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I paid only a couple hundred more for the one I slapped together and it's been fine other than being a pig of a rifle.

Your AR10 sucks, op.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 11:12:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have 3.

One of which is a Gen 1 PSA 18" and it is a d**k mod tack driver....
View Quote

I'm no joke going to get a Keymod SR25 eventually
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 11:43:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I just went through some of that.  Incompatible uppers & lowers.  Incompatible LPKs, even incompatible mags between AR-10 and the rest of them.   Incompatibilities within parts, upper and lower.   Different barrel nuts, even within just AR-10.  A friend has an 80% lower he just milled that has a AR-10 top part of the lower, but the mag well takes AR-308 mags.    Takedown pins from a PSA -10 LPK arent even close to long enough, looking at my DPMS LPK now.
Not insurmountable, by any means, but not at all in the same class as working on AR-15s.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 11:45:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can’t tell if you’re trolling or not. It’s extremely easy to put one together with no issues for far less than $2k. There are tons of complete guns for well under $2k as well. There things that make your life incredibly easier like buying the parts kit from the same people you get the receivers from. Or you could buy complete receivers and take even more guesswork out.

Example
Aero Precision at full retail has a 16” complete upper for $990 and a lower with everything except the stock for $376 so $1366 plus a stock. The Black Friday price is $675 and $275 so $950.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 2:58:43 AM EDT
[#26]
The lack of commonality was part of the fun when I built mine. Slowed down, did my reading, learned things to watch for and finally got to ordering parts. I ended up with a damn soft shooting accurate rifle that’s a joy to shoot

Edit: if you want to make sure your AR10 will be painless, don’t mix and match parts manufacturers. Doesn’t matter if you can with an AR15, it’s not an AR15. Some manufacturers parts work fine together, some don’t. It is what it is. 80% stuff is cool and fun on its own but LOL@ a build going off the rails over some crap lower

Edit 2: mine is a 20” Aero M5E1, and it’s been flawless. The only “fiddling” I had to do with it was setting the adjustable gas block, which is a “duh” item.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 3:02:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

You gotta be shitting me. THAT’S what you got from this thread?  Go look in the mirror and you will find your problem.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 3:07:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You gotta be shitting me. THAT’S what you got from this thread?  Go look in the mirror and you will find your problem.
View Quote

Lol yep.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 3:44:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/26/2022 3:48:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, no. He built off of a billet 80%. My PSAs turned out very well.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 3:50:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Didn’t the first run not work with certain triggers?
View Quote

First couple hundred lowers only worked with the standard trigger and a few aftermarket triggers. They made the adjustments and they worked perfectly after that.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 3:52:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
lol, I was banging steel at 1000 yards all morning, it's not the platform, it's your build that sucks.

I've gone out to 1200 yards but ran out of range before I ran out of gun.

You need to fix your shit.
View Quote

Build, optics and ammo specs pls.  Thx!
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 5:37:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
You can always tell a young fool when they start bringing "boomers" into a discussion that doesn't have the slightest thing to do with age group, about people they know absolutely nothing about, and only shows why their own age group is regarded with such disdain.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 5:37:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Are you retarded?  They are different rifles

Der ma Corvette parts don't fit on a mustang!
View Quote
I believe he is.   See my previous post.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 5:40:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You gotta be shitting me. THAT'S what you got from this thread?  Go look in the mirror and you will find your problem.
View Quote
I think the "kid" in his username says a lot about him.   Probably 14 years old, armchair commandoing from his parents' basement.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 6:12:38 AM EDT
[#36]
No issues with my Armalite National Match AR-10.

Link Posted: 11/26/2022 6:19:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Truth!
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 6:41:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Where did the OP go?
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/26/2022 6:45:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Throw your crappy lower away and buy one from PSA.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 6:45:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Some people have posted about how fine their AR-10 is.   I have a AR-10.   It works great.   I believe the OPs point wasn't that the factory rifles suck - it's the whole incompatibility mess when you're trying to build your own AR-308 from parts and/or 80%, especially for those accustomed to working with the standardized AR-15 platform.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 7:10:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Built with parts I ordered more or less in my sleep (the painkiller walrus took me on a shopping adventure I'd never remember after a shoulder reconstruction ). If i can spec one up from parts from different manufacturers and make a good rifle in my sleep, surely others can too. No ragrets.

Link Posted: 11/26/2022 7:12:38 AM EDT
[#42]
The AR10 WAS the concept rifle. The AR15 is a scaled down AR10.

Also, the AR10 is not standardized like the AR15. There are seversl different types and the parts don't play with each other very well unless you stick with a specific platform.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 7:22:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Some people have posted about how fine their AR-10 is.   I have a AR-10.   It works great.   I believe the OPs point wasn't that the factory rifles suck - it's the whole incompatibility mess when you're trying to build your own AR-308 from parts and/or 80%, especially for those accustomed to working with the standardized AR-15 platform.
View Quote

Yeah, you've actually got to read a little before ordering parts, but thats it.

You've got LR/DPMS high rail or low rail.  You've got AR10/Armalite spec. Those are the choices.

OP should've done a bit of light reading first.  Would've made the whole thing a lot easier.

I spared no expense on mine.  It's a heavy bitch, but its accurate and fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 11:46:51 AM EDT
[#44]
My son shot his first buck this morning with his Aero M5

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 11:52:08 AM EDT
[#45]
OP: "Ferraris suck balls!!"

OP's Ferrari:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/26/2022 11:53:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#47]

What hand guard is that? Looks like a triple tap lol
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 11:55:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Word.  

I love mine.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 12:00:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

And your upper and lower don’t match.

AR10 platforms are not standardized. Homework must be done to ensure you get the right stuff.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 12:13:22 PM EDT
[#50]
I grabbed one of the Larue lowers when they were bundling them with the small frame lowers.  But now I can’t get a large frame UU, once I can that will scratch that itch.  I already have a NX8 2.5-20 ready to move over.

I get the OPs frustration though.

-Mike
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top