Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 11:50:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Calvary Arms and their plastic lowers.
View Quote

They’re still around at least I think it’s the same company. A buddy of mine just built a couple of guns on the plastic lowers. Remember the glow in the dark receivers they’d release a couple of times a year back in the day?
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 11:54:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Never seen one by Oly, but a local shop just DID have one of the old cast DPMS guns in.

Talk about UGLY! Glad they sold it before I decided I needed that abomination.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the truth. Remember when the choice of optics were aimpoint or acog. Then eotech came along. If you didn’t want to spend big money on one of them the alternatives were pretty much trash. There weren’t a lot of mid tier choices out there.

I can remember going to a range and people were kind of wow’d by my AR.

Was it Olympic that made the cast ARs?  I remember a buddy of mine buying one of them and making fun of him for it.

Never seen one by Oly, but a local shop just DID have one of the old cast DPMS guns in.

Maybe it was DPMS. That was a long time ago.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 11:59:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Ameetec.  Lol.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:00:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Oooh, I remembered an oldie. Sendra corp. the only one I’ve seen in person was a transferable MG owned by a forum member here. Nicest guy you’d ever want to meet. He was at a local machine gun shoot. I was drooling over it and he tossed it to me and told me to have fun. I had it for most of the day burning through ammo.

@Snake-in-the-Grass I hope you’re doing well!
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:04:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I can only assume you have never used Lancer magazines. Magpul is my third or fourth choice for AR mags.
View Quote

I have lots of Lancers. Go look at the DoD testing if you think they are better than Pmags.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:12:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have lots of Lancers. Go look at the DoD testing if you think they are better than Pmags.
View Quote

I base that on personal use. I really do not give a shit what the government has to say on any subject.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:25:50 AM EDT
[#7]
For those who were discussing the demise of Sabre Defence, it was export shenanigans which got them in the trouble which killed them, but that wasn't the beginning of their demise. They'd been having problems paying vendors for years. I worked at a Nashville gun shop for a few years and remember talking to a Sabre machinist who'd come in from time to time. Apparently, they frequently failed to pay repair bills when their machinery broke down. The export issue was them getting caught shipping guns to England in false bottoms of shipping crates without completing the proper export paperwork.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:01:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don’t know what their contract numbers were during the Cold War, but the 416 is sitting around 400k for total orders.
View Quote

Around 8 million G3s are said to have been produced.

I don't know how many of those were actually made by H&K in total, but even during its initial decade H&K was said to have produced 500K rifles vs 400K rifles over nearly twice that length of time for the 416.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 4:09:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ameetec.  Lol.
View Quote

Got a couple of their lowers.  No problem
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 5:11:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Vltor
Tango down
Ggg
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 8:40:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I base that on personal use. I really do not give a shit what the government has to say on any subject.
View Quote

Cool. Doesn't change the data.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the truth. Remember when the choice of optics were aimpoint or acog. Then eotech came along. If you didn't want to spend big money on one of them the alternatives were pretty much trash. There weren't a lot of mid tier choices out there.

I can remember going to a range and people were kind of wow'd by my AR.

Was it Olympic that made the cast ARs?  I remember a buddy of mine buying one of them and making fun of him for it.

It was probably a early Olympic plinker .
Had a customer use one as his bump stock gun and it eventually crumbled apart LOL
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 10:55:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Had a customer use one as his bump stock gun and it eventually crumbled apart LOL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the truth. Remember when the choice of optics were aimpoint or acog. Then eotech came along. If you didn't want to spend big money on one of them the alternatives were pretty much trash. There weren't a lot of mid tier choices out there.

I can remember going to a range and people were kind of wow'd by my AR.

Hahahaha. Would suck for your ar receiver to crumble.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 7:08:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Wiselite was making some cool semi versions of autos guns, then went  just gave up the ghost. Their Sterling sub machine gun Semi-clone Pistol in 7.62x25mm was a fun little gun.

Tapco didn't make guns but made enough parts its sad to see them gone. Bubba must be heart broken with only Uncle Mike & UTG parts left to work with.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 8:39:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Rock River: The first brand to disband the ABC’s. The only brand that ignored the list and never stepped up to tested barrels and bolts or 4150 barrels.

Larue: Drama and controversy are Larue’s best sellers now. There was a time your rifle wasn’t shit if it didn’t have Larue on it. Now loyalty of old people is their only saving grace.

Armalite: At the end of the ABC era they were still popular, but went hostile here on the forums over the AR10. They bet on the ban coming back. It didn’t and suddenly their entire business model was gone.

Magpul: Minus the PMAG, they have become a little bit of a disappointment. Almost every rifle posted here used to have Magpul on it. The market just caught up to them and they’re now a lifestyle company more than a firearm innovation company.

Remington: Lore kept them in the spotlight. Turns out the 700 is just okay and the 870 ejector is such a terrible design that any slack in quality shows its weakness fast. Freedom Group did them in but Remington lost their steam in the 80’s.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 8:46:00 AM EDT
[#16]
BCM
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 8:53:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Of course the elephant in the room is that we haven't mentioned the most important couple of manufacturers of anything, ever.

EraThr33333.

Intacto Arms.

Link Posted: 12/7/2023 8:55:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Magpul
View Quote

i want a china doll lower so bad but not bad enough to pay thousands for one
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 8:56:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Bushmaster
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 8:58:14 AM EDT
[#20]
ABC and D

Armarlite
Bushmaster
Cold
DMPS
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 8:58:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Colt is still putting out great revolvers, 1911s, and ARs
View Quote

Yup.

Bushmaster faded and apparently even Windham Weaponry is gone or transitioning to something else.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 9:03:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Hesse.

Apparently selling crapy out-of-spec lowers, non-functional and inaccurate rifles, with rotten customer service wasn't a winning plan.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 9:10:54 AM EDT
[#23]
STI.  The once made decent entry level competition gun and good 1911s.  Then the tried to make higher end competition gun, but they lost all the quality they once had.  But they were still a gun company that stuck up for gun owners and even wouldn't sell to governments if the gun was banned by that gov.   But then they got purchased, marketed to the tacti-timmay market.  They are now a lifestyle product marketed to LEO cock gobblers.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 9:11:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Red Jacket Firearms
View Quote

neva been dun befo
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 9:16:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Todd Bailey and his myriad companies.  Or, is he still around?
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 9:16:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Del-Ton
View Quote

They were my PSA equivalent go to for a while.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 9:16:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

We'll see in ten years.

Colt made most of their money off government contracts, like Glock.

Then other companies started making the same guns, but better, or cheaper, or more capable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glock is the obvious one.

We'll see in ten years.

Colt made most of their money off government contracts, like Glock.

Then other companies started making the same guns, but better, or cheaper, or more capable.

Is that last paragraph about Colt or Glock? Because I think it could be either one.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 9:17:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Charter Arms used to make a great 44 special.
Kahr
AMT
View Quote
I remember back around 1999 when Kahr pistols were a very big deal in the concealed-carry market.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 9:20:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Bushmaster
Colt
Remington
Tapco
Winchester

I’d say Smith & Wesson is getting there, in ways.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 9:21:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Noveske

The most innovation they have done lately is a water gun. Not kidding.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/7/2023 9:23:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
STI.  The once made decent entry level competition gun and good 1911s.  Then the tried to make higher end competition gun, but they lost all the quality they once had.  But they were still a gun company that stuck up for gun owners and even wouldn't sell to governments if the gun was banned by that gov.   But then they got purchased, marketed to the tacti-timmay market.  They are now a lifestyle product marketed to LEO cock gobblers.
View Quote

"Staccato" has got to be one of the most annoying words the "tactical" community has latched onto in a long time.

I couldn't imagine trying to CCW a 2011 if you have a healthy BMI. People are funny.

Link Posted: 12/7/2023 9:25:36 AM EDT
[#32]
My entry is SOLGW.

Great assemblers with a great marketing team.

Barely hear them mentioned anymore.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 9:32:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Space gun was an XP-100 in the 60s.
View Quote

No, actually the real Space Gun Model was made by Ljutic.

Tony

Link Posted: 12/7/2023 9:33:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Chaytac, hottest sniper/anti material rifle in the world then crickets.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 9:55:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

JJE is PSA.
View Quote

JJE is the parent company of PSA, they also own 15 other companies that sell through PSA
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 10:23:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 10:27:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 10:33:40 AM EDT
[#38]
That guy’s name was Nesard.,  Sendra was an anagram of his name.

Tony at Tony’s Custom Uppers (formerly Sun Valley Traders) was a relative of Nesard.  IIRC, Tony was married to Nesard’s daughter.

Link Posted: 12/7/2023 10:47:44 AM EDT
[#39]
GODDAMN is there any companies at all worth a shit today? Looks like everything has been listed already.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 11:10:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I remember back around 1999 when Kahr pistols were a very big deal in the concealed-carry market.
View Quote

I still carry a CM9 daily
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 12:31:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That guy’s name was Nesard.,  Sendra was an anagram of his name.

Tony at Tony’s Custom Uppers (formerly Sun Valley Traders) was a relative of Nesard.  IIRC, Tony was married to Nesard’s daughter.

View Quote

His name was Gerald Drasen, and the company names were anagrams of his last name (I don't think Sendra is involved). Mr Drasen' trial records make amusing reading. The big parts company he ran, Nesard Inc (from whom I bought my first kit in like 1985) was split into Model One Sales and M&A Parts, if I remember right, run by his kids. Some of his parts were apparently acquired by dumpster diving behind an armory somewhere, the barrel I got in my kit had a gas port nine drill sizes too big-- hope the clown who stole it has fun trying to make it work.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:17:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

His name was Gerald Drasen, and the company names were anagrams of his last name (I don't think Sendra is involved). Mr Drasen' trial records make amusing reading. The big parts company he ran, Nesard Inc (from whom I bought my first kit in like 1985) was split into Model One Sales and M&A Parts, if I remember right, run by his kids. Some of his parts were apparently acquired by dumpster diving behind an armory somewhere, the barrel I got in my kit had a gas port nine drill sizes too big-- hope the clown who stole it has fun trying to make it work.
View Quote

Ahh.  You are right.  I have my anagrams mixed up.  Old age I guess.

But he was invoked in both Nesard and Sendra.  I think one was post conviction with a relative as the “owner”.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:28:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Japanese. Miroku makes Winchester and some Browning shotguns. And they are actually very well made firearms.

I do agree It is unfortunate that they aren’t made in the US.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
“Winchester” is just a trademarked name that is whored out by Olin Corp. to whomever wants to market guns or Chinese junk under that prestigious name.

Japanese. Miroku makes Winchester and some Browning shotguns. And they are actually very well made firearms.

I do agree It is unfortunate that they aren’t made in the US.

I hate that Miroku is arguably making better Winchesters than Winchester ever did.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 2:56:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Anvil Arms out of Florida. They were making high quality lowers at a great price. I remember some people buying them by the dozens. Don't remember about their full builds and uppers. My wife's AR is built on an Anvil lower.

I wonder how they would have faired if the owner hadn't been busted.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Noveske

The most innovation they have done lately is a water gun. Not kidding.
View Quote

They have the gay market locked down though
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 4:49:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Staccato is more relevant now than they ever have been. They are the go-to for a well-built base 2011 that will run out of the box.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 5:03:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No criticism from me.  If it serves you well .

I just remember when Kahr pistols were one of the most discussed and recommended options.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 5:30:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Strike Industries - if they could have actually stocked their parts in the colors, so you weren't having  to buy just 1 part every 2-4 months,  they might have sold a few more sets worth. They were always out of stock of everything other than black,when they had that.  Their Blue and Red were a nice color but it was hard as hell to get parts from them to complete a build.

Kimel aka AA.A.Arms Mint Hill NC makers of the AP-9  (a TEC-9 clone)  had a fun gun  but their polymer lowers started cracking at rear from the blow back action. With that being the serialized item opened up problems with just swapping them out with their customers. For a while after they were gone, Dealers like I.O and Classic Arms and others were were swapping around the 500+ frames they had for the serialized lowers of these guns for sale for anyone who needed one. Hoping someone would buy a bunch and have tube gun building fun. They were absurd at 1 frame for close to $25-$50 but if buying 100 the price dropped to less that $10-$15 a piece and at 500 prices it was below $5 a piece for the complete lower.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 6:06:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Charles Daly.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 7:13:46 AM EDT
[#50]
VTAC
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top