BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:30:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's not just the bike, it's the rider...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ezf0MkCsFM
View Quote
Bset part about this video is the fact that the chase bike(a sport bike) is barely braking a sweat and almost running the guy over....

lmao - I love the 'harley's are just as capable as sportbike' guys
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:31:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I ran it hard when I was younger. I had a yzf R6 but also borrowed  bikes from my employer at that time who had touring sport BMW in Greenville.  We had Aprilia tuonos and Mille Rs at that time on top of BMW. My favorite mountain bike was the little BMW fs650 though.  Just a sweet little machine for forest running.
View Quote
Yeah I know some people over there now, but I can't go or I'll be tempted to spend money I don't have
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:32:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
If anyone said that, it wasn't in this thread...

Quoted:
True, just pointing out that they will still go around a corner at faster than duck-walk pace if you don't load them down with curb-feeler hard bags and pull your head out of your butt.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:33:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I like how on a 600 it sounds like the engine is at redline but you still got another 7 or 8k to go where it really screams into the stratosphere.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:32:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I try not to be misogynist, but every single time I've had a close call with a vehicle pulling out in front of me or merging into me, it's been a woman driver.
View Quote
Blue hair old women... to be more specific... has been my experience.

I wear a day glow jacket and helmet .

Yesterday it was an Indian middle aged man.
( Dot, not feather )
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Don't really care, I'm a V-Rod fan more than a HD fan.  And now what I really want to do is sell the V-Rod and get some little puddle jumper for puttering around town...my wrists don't allow for much more than that anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think mine will hit 60 in second gear, but haven't been able to ride it in a couple of years due to health issues.  Tops out at like 115 or 120, but gets there really, really fast.  V-Rod Muscle.
According to The Faithful, anything Revolution-engined is NOT a "Harley" - regardless of what's on the tank or the title.
Don't really care, I'm a V-Rod fan more than a HD fan.  And now what I really want to do is sell the V-Rod and get some little puddle jumper for puttering around town...my wrists don't allow for much more than that anymore.
For what it's worth, a Revolution-engined bike is the ONLY thing from Milwaukee I'd consider buying at this point.

Too bad they killed the line last year.

A 1400+ CC "Road Rod" would be just the ticket for my style of riding. Base it on the ergos of a 2007 Night Rod: Mid mount controls and a 180mm rear tire. If I can find the right project bike I'll build my own some time.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:50:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Harleys can do 80mph? Fastest i have seen has gone 60 holding up traffic.
View Quote
Mine was good for at least 110, but the seating position, lack of rubber engine mounts and lack of a windshield or fairings made it brutally uncomfortable. 
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Mine was good for at least 110, but the seating position, lack of rubber engine mounts and lack of a windshield or fairings made it brutally uncomfortable. 
View Quote
My ~50hp "dirt bike with street tires" can break 100
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:57:59 PM EDT
[#9]
No comment. Been there done that. Used up 8 of my 9
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thursday already?
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 3:06:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thursday already?
View Quote
OP is over achieving or possibly just using this thread as a primer for the real hate on Thursday.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 3:31:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Hanging the handlebars over the line is a dick move.

On highways I ride in the left side of the lane.  Keeps me in direct line of sight of any driver behind me and gives me more room to move if an emergency occurs (road debris, animal on the road etc).
View Quote
Seems women harley riders do that more around here. I just ride the fucking line. Cant stand srupid drivers or riders. More stupid drivers then riders now days. I dont ride.  Stupid riders seem to kind of work itself out over time
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:39:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
He's more leaning, rather than weaving, and the speed is not shown.  Geez, do we have any real riders on AFRCOM that immediately know what gyrscopic effect is, and counter-steering?  One cannot pass the MSF class without being trained and demonstrating it.

I can lean too, to the point where my floor boards scrap the pavement.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not the bike, it's the rider...

He's more leaning, rather than weaving, and the speed is not shown.  Geez, do we have any real riders on AFRCOM that immediately know what gyrscopic effect is, and counter-steering?  One cannot pass the MSF class without being trained and demonstrating it.

I can lean too, to the point where my floor boards scrap the pavement.  
He is leaning off the bike in the turn, towards the apex of the turn. This is called "shifting your weight", or "hanging off the bike" while countersteering. What this does is enable you to turn tighter, or faster, without using up all of your traction points by leaning the motorcycle. This also causes the suspension to ride higher, and has the added effect of not scraping hard parts on the pavement. This technique is used primarily by sportbike riders on closed courses, but is taught in the Advanced Rider's Course. This is not to be confused with "turning your bike by leaning in the direction without countersteering", which is usually done by inexperienced riders.

Quoted:

Harleys cannot weave in traffic at 70 to 80 MPH due to something called gyroscopic effect. Monkey bars (sometimes called suicide bars) make it worse.  Those bars loose leverage for counter-steering. It needs a lot of room at those speeds to where it's not weaving but lane changing.

Racers and other rice burners are designed to minimize this effect as best as they can, but hogs are not.

1989 FLSTC Heritage Software, M1 class on my driver's license, and a MSF certificate, but I've not ridden in over 10 years.  I can still spot over-embellishment.  He should have said it was a rice burner.
That sentence is so full of WTF that I can barely translate it in my head, but I will try. ALL motorcycles experience gyroscopic effect from the motion of the wheels at speeds above 5mph. On a V-Twin bike (not just Harleys), they also experience some gyroscopic effect from the motion of the engine. This gyroscopic motion is what enables a motorcycle to remain upright at speed. Without it, all motorcycles would need training wheels. Now, as to the assertion that "Harley's cannot weave in and out of traffic at 80mph"...I assure you, they can. What affects the degree to which they can weave is rake, trail, and weight. Sportbikes have shorter rake and trail (with the exception of a stretched out 'Busa), weigh significantly less, so therefore are more maneuverable. This is referred to as "flickability", or the ease of being able to transition from left to right. In order to manuver a big twin bike in the manner of a sportbike requires signifigantly more force at the handlebars, and due to the total wheelbase, rake, and trail of your typical big twin, no matter how much force you put to the bars, it will still not match a sportbike for maneuverability. Now, as to ape hangars...Archimedes once said "Give me a place to stand on, and I will move the Earth." This is referring to levers, which handlebars are essentially levers that are used to move the bike left and right, along with a few controls for stop and go. Yes, ape hangars that are stupidly high overall make the bike harder to control. Apes that are shoulder high, however, act as a longer lever on the same weight bike. For example, I ride an Indian Roadmaster. I recently had opportunity to ride a Chieftain with mini-apes installed. It was MUCH easier to initiate a turn on the Chieftain than on my Roadmaster, due to the added leverage from the apes.

If you want my credentials, I have been riding for almost eight years, I have taken the Basic Rider's Course, Basic Rider's Course-2, and the Advanced Rider's Course, and am MSF certified to teach all three.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 5:24:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have a 2012 HD Road King and she glides like a Cadillac at 100 mph with no death wobble.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a 2012 HD Road King and she glides like a Cadillac at 100 mph with no death wobble.
I was just at a customers house today and she was showing me her Harley. What I really noticed was the chromed out steering stabilizer that she had on her bike. Asked her about it and she said it helps a lot and she had it put on after she almost lost it from the death wobble.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 5:28:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was just at a customers house today and she was showing me her Harley. What I really noticed was the chromed out steering stabilizer that she had on her bike. Asked her about it and she said it helps a lot and she had it put on after she almost lost it from the death wobble.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Death wobble isn't normal.  She needs to get everything checked, make sure it's sitting right and torqued correctly.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 6:35:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
....who think they're invincible.

On the way home, noticed in my rear view mirror the single shining headlamp of douchbagery weaving in and out of traffic doing 70-80mph in a 45mph. It's a Harley with those high chopper bars.

A large truck fully merges into the center lane a few car lengths ahead and douchy-mc-straight pipes also weaves into that lane at the last moment, then slams on his brakes and swerves in my lane ahead of me, while blipping his throttle at the truck like it will protect him from the side/rear of a full size truck.

Best was his lack of any safety gear, especially no helmet.

Just lol. The guy will be getting coloring books for Christmas in no time.
View Quote

That wasn't Douchbagery Weaving, it was a Death Wobble.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:03:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Death wobble isn't normal.  She needs to get everything checked, make sure it's sitting right and torqued correctly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Brand new bike this year.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:06:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I think the Harleys you have seen are broken
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They come broken on the showroom floor.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:07:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Bright colors, full coverage leathers, and full face helmets are my friends.  I don't care if I'm dressed like a power ranger.  I do what it takes to be seen.  

Ride like you are invisible and everybody else is drunk.
View Quote
Paranoia is your friend, friend. Everyone's out to get you, or at least that works for me.

Oh this is a bikers suck thread. OK. I am angerous! Very angerous! Also! Concerned!

Seriously, I rode for decades. US19 in Pinellas County FL persuaded me to drive a cage.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:11:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Occasionally I'll see a crazy one riding fast, most of the time I'm stuck behind the slow fucks in the mountains, in my pickup
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:20:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yes, I believe it's the caster that makes turning wheels want to track straight on cars on bikes.  

There is also some kind of physics phenomenon going on in the tracking of the front and rear wheels on a bike/motorcycle that makes it want to travel straight.  

However I belive that the bike stiffening up and resisting turning more as the speed builds is indeed from the gyroscopic effect of the wheels and engine spinning.

When you countersteer you are actually making the bike fall toward the side you want to turn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gyroscopic effect is not what makes a motorcycle want to travel in a straight line. It's a small factor but 2 wheeled vehicles designed to have no significant gyroscopic forces still self stabilize.
Yes, I believe it's the caster that makes turning wheels want to track straight on cars on bikes.  

There is also some kind of physics phenomenon going on in the tracking of the front and rear wheels on a bike/motorcycle that makes it want to travel straight.  

However I belive that the bike stiffening up and resisting turning more as the speed builds is indeed from the gyroscopic effect of the wheels and engine spinning.

When you countersteer you are actually making the bike fall toward the side you want to turn.
You are correct. Also, there are too many motorcyclists driving around who have never slid the front tire and don't know the real limits of what their machine can do. Then there are the weekend driving douches. Who tend to like Harleys and Can-Ams and those Gold Wing trike abortions.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:35:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My Street Glide was fine at 110, same for my Street Bob.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:42:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Few years back.  Note the breathtaking speeds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xTlU8Xz5EE
View Quote
Wow,  my old A2 GTIs are laughing from their graves
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:12:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Organ donors...
View Quote
With as much as I've drank, smoked, and gotten fat, the jokes on you.

My organs are worthless.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:34:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My Ultra is a real dog and it will still hit 110.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:40:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Donorcycles land a couple people through my doors each year, some from their own fault, some from cager incompetence.

Either way, I wouldn't ride one if I had kids at home especially here in the city.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:54:35 AM EDT
[#27]
I've gone 105 in my Street 750, still room left to go. This is bone stock also.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:56:10 AM EDT
[#28]
So GD hates motorcycles now? What about "muh freedoms?"
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:58:59 AM EDT
[#29]
OP needs to hide in a safe space
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:55:49 AM EDT
[#30]
This is now a Harley pic thread, for all the haters!!!!!

Attachment Attached File

ETA- I need to take a more recent pic now that I have black highway pegs, need to black out the passenger pegs also I see. It's a work in progress to me so in time I'll have it all done.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:24:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This is now a Harley pic thread, for all the haters!!!!!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/239019/IMG_1654-275598.JPG
ETA- I need to take a more recent pic now that I have black highway pegs, need to black out the passenger pegs also I see. It's a work in progress to me so in time I'll have it all done.
View Quote
What, no leather braid of death?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:25:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

On Sunday I was behind a guy in a Ferrai with VA tags doing just that on some twisties in Monroe County WV.

Sad thing wasn't even ten over the caution sign but still felt the need to bore through over the SYL

I just hung back waiting for the carnage. Thankfully he turned off after a few miles.

Gratuitous Power Ranger Scooter pic from that day

[url]https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/332308/IMG_7567_JPG-274883[1]-275556.jpg[/url]
View Quote
I have the taller brother. '17 1290 SAR

Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:29:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
If I knew how to photoshop I'd have added that and so much more even, then posted it, just to mess with the haters!!
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:39:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If I knew how to photoshop I'd have added that and so much more even, then posted it, just to mess with the haters!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, no, no...you have to post a pic of your HD with a revolver next to it with a comment along the lines of "I always carry when I ride, and I'm not afraid to put some rounds on some jackass cager if I need to!"
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:43:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
....who think they're invincible.

On the way home, noticed in my rear view mirror the single shining headlamp of douchbagery weaving in and out of traffic doing 70-80mph in a 45mph. It's a Harley with those high chopper bars.

A large truck fully merges into the center lane a few car lengths ahead and douchy-mc-straight pipes also weaves into that lane at the last moment, then slams on his brakes and swerves in my lane ahead of me, while blipping his throttle at the truck like it will protect him from the side/rear of a full size truck.

Best was his lack of any safety gear, especially no helmet.

Just lol. The guy will be getting coloring books for Christmas in no time.
View Quote
Coloring books ain't gonna cut it. Organ donor is the best outcome for these shitheads! 
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:44:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Now I'm an ex rider and I'd like to know when the majority of you guys went suicidal?

Can anybody tell me why so many seem to crowd the center line to the point of their left hand hanging over into the oncoming lane?

You have a whole lane boys. Why crowd the center?
View Quote
The massive amount of horse manure on the roads here keep me toward the left side of the road.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:55:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
It appears that guy has some legit road racing experience under his belt. He's just too smooth, and a nice recovery on the near "high-side."
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:24:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It appears that guy has some legit road racing experience under his belt. He's just too smooth, and a nice recovery on the near "high-side."
View Quote
I think he was leaning his body the wrong way.  I bet he could have gone through those turns much faster and with more traction if he'd have dipped his shoulders into the turns.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:40:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I think he was leaning his body the wrong way.  I bet he could have gone through those turns much faster and with more traction if he'd have dipped his shoulders into the turns.
View Quote
True, but it looks like his outside arm is at full extension already, given the tall, wide bars
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:06:37 AM EDT
[#40]
The only thing that has stopped me from buying a new Harley for the past 5 years is.........You guessed it.....MOTORCYCLE Riders!!!

I never understood the whole "watch out for motorcycles" shit.  Motherfucker, I am in a car that weighs 3000 lbs and has an exoskeleton of steel and reinforced bumpers.  Youre on a bicycle with a motor.  I THINK YOU SHULD BE WATCHING OUT FOR CARS, DUMBASS.  I MEAN, FUCK PHYSICS, RIGHT? 
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:11:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Exactly. So why Harley still uses 80s tech is anyone's guess.
View Quote
Because twin cams is in !!! 'Cause its hi-tech.
And pushrods are sooooooo reliable.

So Harley uses both. Twice as hi-tech.

Why the ever loving fuck would you put twin cams in a crankcase,
to drive pushrods ?
WTF.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I have the taller brother. '17 1290 SAR

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/31823/IMG_1383_JPG-275612.jpg
View Quote
Thats a nice bike.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:56:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The only thing that has stopped me from buying a new Harley for the past 5 years is.........You guessed it.....MOTORCYCLE Riders!!!

I never understood the whole "watch out for motorcycles" shit.  Motherfucker, I am in a car that weighs 3000 lbs and has an exoskeleton of steel and reinforced bumpers.  Youre on a bicycle with a motor.  I THINK YOU SHULD BE WATCHING OUT FOR CARS, DUMBASS.  I MEAN, FUCK PHYSICS, RIGHT? 
View Quote
You are missing the point. It is not "watch out for motorcycles because they have right of way", it is "watch out for motorcycles because they are smaller and harder to see, and harder to judge distance and rate of closure". My bike is green and cream colored. My riding jacket is white, with grey panels and reflective stuff front, back, and sleeves. I STILL have people pull out in front of me, merge on top of me, so on and so forth, and that is with me keeping my head on a swivel, staying out of people's blind spots, etc, etc.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 12:15:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
That guy rides his Harley right at the edge of its maximum performance.  The guy on the sportbike filming him, however, was not anywhere near the edge of his maximum performance and actually had to hit his brakes a couple of times to keep from getting too close.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 12:20:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Though I despise the ergos and performance envelope of your typical chromed-out Harley (and would choose ANY other motorcycle to ride), it's really what's sitting on top of a seemingly large percentage of them that I really loathe. Once in a while I'll see someone on a hawg riding sensibly/smartly, with a helmet, with a muffler, and NOT laying into his/her throttle when stopped at a stop light... and I'll begin to think that there's hope for the breed. And then the next nine wanna-be rebels will be 100% stereotypical and remind me why the cliched stereotype exists. I've been riding dirt bikes, dual-sports, sport bikes, sport tourers, and even scooters for most of my five decades on this planet. And my two-wheeled ire is aimed solely at the stereotypical chromed v-twin warlords and an occasional out-of-control sport bike squid. I don't take even a moment of silence to ponder their demise when it inevitably occurs. The bugs on my windshield did less to bring about their fate and are missed more than the two-wheeled stunt clowns.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 12:20:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
That guy rides his Harley right at the edge of its maximum performance.  The guy on the sportbike filming him, however, was not anywhere near the edge of his maximum performance and actually had to hit his brakes a couple of times to keep from getting too close.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
If anyone said that, it wasn't in this thread...

Quoted:
True, just pointing out that they will still go around a corner at faster than duck-walk pace if you don't load them down with curb-feeler hard bags and pull your head out of your butt.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 12:31:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
You're missing the point man. You won't see me defend asshole motorcycle riders, they tend to get what they have coming eventually. They piss me off, make me look bad IMO.

The point is that people tend to miss us sometimes when driving. I've had green lights and people turn left right across my path multiple times. I've had people at stop signs start going before I'm through the intersection. I couldn't even guess how many people have tried to changes lanes into mine when I'm essentially physically in the spot they're trying to get to. A few weeks ago, the son of the salesman I bought my latest bike from was killed on a state highway by a trucker going left. Only 2 vehicles on the road, and the trucker killed him. Speed wasn't a factor.

That's the point. It's not giving bikers the right of way or anything, it's reminding everybody not everyone is on the road in a large vehicle that should be impossible not to see.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 12:35:18 PM EDT
[#48]
This week's Thursday Harley thread two days early. Odd.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 12:44:39 PM EDT
[#49]
One of the funniest things I saw this summer -

Going down a back country road and off in the distance I see a group of bikers...a large group of bikers. The line of bikers must have been near a mile long, it was huge, some kind of gathering.

At least %80 of them were wearing those bright yellow-green hiviz vests with reflective stripes sewn into them...and none of them was wearing any PPE at all, including helmets. Most of then weren't even wearing long pants.

The only ones I saw wearing helmets were in full leathers, but they didn't bother with the hiviz vests.

I laughed out loud when I picked out that trend
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 12:44:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Watch some of the autistic douchery on youtube. Those videos blow my mind.
View Quote
Don't need to go to YouTube, plenty of autistic douchery to be had right here in GD.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top