Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:29:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@CFII

Can you explain that in more detail?

Thanks
View Quote

Generally you shoot a instrument approach then circle to land if the runway the approach is to is unsuitable for landing. The general idea is you fly the instrument approach to get under the ceiling of the clouds, and then basically fly a traffic pattern to land at the runway that you need.

The problem is that that is high workload in a fast aircraft. By asking tower to max the lights he was already sketchy on the visibility. Basically, if he was craning his neck outside looking for his runway and let his energy state get to low, he stalls, spins, and has zero chance to recover. And it can happen in mere seconds.

I fly airliners now, but most all of our approaches are just straight in. If I fly a traffic pattern, which I do, its VFR, and the weather is zero factor.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:31:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Sad that facts hurt your feels
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: Pedantic

Edited 1387Delta
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Edited 1387Delta
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:34:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Generally you shoot a instrument approach then circle to land if the runway the approach is to is unsuitable for landing. The general idea is you fly the instrument approach to get under the ceiling of the clouds, and then basically fly a traffic pattern to land at the runway that you need.

The problem is that that is high workload in a fast aircraft. By asking tower to max the lights he was already sketchy on the visibility. Basically, if he was craning his neck outside looking for his runway and let his energy state get to low, he stalls, spins, and has zero chance to recover. And it can happen in mere seconds.

I fly airliners now, but most all of our approaches are just straight in. If I fly a traffic pattern, which I do, its VFR, and the weather is zero factor.
View Quote

Dang.  Do those have a crazy high stall speed?  Seems like the current level of aerodynamics knowledge would produce planes that were more forgiving.  RIP all on board.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:37:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Lakeside resident Suzie Mercadante was out walking the dogs at around 7.15pm when she saw the jet plummeting to the ground.

She told the Tribune how she saw 'a blue streak and then a giant big orange ball,' then 'the blackest smoke just billowing out.'

Thomas O'Brien who lives just a few blocks away from where the plane exploded onto the road said he was sitting on the couch when he heard the jet's turbines screaming across the night sky.

He said that he used to hearing planes because they live near the runway at Gillespie Field, but described the sound as incredibly loud.

'It was 10 times louder than normal,' O'Brien told the Tribune. 'My walls started shaking, like there was an earthquake. I froze. Honestly, I thought it was about to hit us.'

O'Brien said he saw the jet explode from his back window and the blast reflecting off his pool.

A few beats later, the booming sound of the explosion hit him and then his house lost power.  

Luggage is removed from the scene as emergency teams worked to identify the victims on Monday night

The crash has caused a blackout for some 2,500 customers in the area

More

PICS
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Dang.  Do those have a crazy high stall speed?  Seems like the current level of aerodynamics knowledge would produce planes that were more forgiving.  RIP all on board.
View Quote

I do not fly a Lear, but man I would love to. When you are in a bank your stall speed goes up, so there was a point at which the aircraft departed. He knew it, too. Hence the transmission.

Poor guy. I mean, it just takes one mistake sometimes.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:41:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Damn. To know you are dying right now and nothing you can do about it. Prayers for the families.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:44:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Could be another Teterboro Learjet Accident

Security Video Reel • Teterboro Learjet Accident • NTSB CEN17MA183
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:44:57 AM EDT
[#9]

NTSB Index of Months

Identifies probable causes of all general/commercial accidents
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:45:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Bill would not be happy.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:46:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I do not fly a Lear, but man I would love to. When you are in a bank your stall speed goes up, so there was a point at which the aircraft departed. He knew it, too. Hence the transmission.

View Quote

Truly horrible.  Does the pilot get to make the call when circling as far as how wide the circle is?
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:46:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wonder what happened - spatial disorientation I imagine?
View Quote

That would be my guess - cancelling IFR, asking for the lights to be turned up, then "Oh Shit".  

Sure, something randomly catastrophic could have failed, but even an engine fire at straight and level is something you deal with calmly.  Shut the motor down, extinguish it, etc.  

Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Weather has been pretty shitty here.  It was drizzling rain here in N. San Diego County around the time of the crash.

Gillespie Field weather:

Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:47:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The linked article said he clipped a power line.
View Quote

And if you clip a powerline in a Lear, you aren't where you should be.  Likely Spatial D got them there, if that's the case.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:49:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I believe it was yet another instrument approach then circle to land casualty. They kill so many pilots in unforgiving fast aircraft.
View Quote

Yeah, and the 35a is certainly not forgiving.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#16]
4 on board deceased, no one on the ground hurt, one home damaged, electricity was out to a few thousand.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:54:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Bill would not be happy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:54:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Lakeside resident Suzie Mercadante was out walking the dogs at around 7.15pm when she saw the jet plummeting to the ground.

She told the Tribune how she saw 'a blue streak and then a giant big orange ball,' then 'the blackest smoke just billowing out.'

Thomas O'Brien who lives just a few blocks away from where the plane exploded onto the road said he was sitting on the couch when he heard the jet's turbines screaming across the night sky.

He said that he used to hearing planes because they live near the runway at Gillespie Field, but described the sound as incredibly loud.

'It was 10 times louder than normal,' O'Brien told the Tribune. 'My walls started shaking, like there was an earthquake. I froze. Honestly, I thought it was about to hit us.'

O'Brien said he saw the jet explode from his back window and the blast reflecting off his pool.

A few beats later, the booming sound of the explosion hit him and then his house lost power.  

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2021/12/28/06/52286255-10349325-image-a-19_1640674428358.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2021/12/28/13/52296093-10349325-image-a-36_1640697511640.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2021/12/28/14/52296099-10349325-image-a-23_1640701154245.jpg

Luggage is removed from the scene as emergency teams worked to identify the victims on Monday night

https://i0.wp.com/timesofsandiego.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/crash17.jpg?fit=987%2C555&ssl=1

More

PICS
View Quote

I say this without any knowledge l, but I pray those aren't children's luggage.

John Wayne to Gillespie can't be much more than 100 miles away. Lear jet, short commute I wonder if there were passengers and if so "well known".

Sad either way. RIP
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

This one was made in 1985
Everything I've ever read about them shows they are relatively high performance and unforgiving
Couldn't find a POH but it seems as if at full flaps gear down stall speeds are approaching 100kts
Depending on loadings and such I can imagine things getting sporty rather quickly
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:58:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Looks like he was flying through low scud, broke through and found himself too low and not in level flight.  

Spacial disorientation with only a second or two to correct for terrain and didn't make it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:09:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Low visibility.

Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:12:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Truly horrible.  Does the pilot get to make the call when circling as far as how wide the circle is?
View Quote

Helicopter pilot here, not an airplane pilot, but if I remember correctly--ideally--you want to try and keep the field in sight when completing the circle-to-land.  That's probably pretty tough in a fast airplane like a Lear.

RIP.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:13:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No it crashed... but what it didn't do is "explode" or "blow up"

A bomb "explodes"
A house filled with natural gas "explodes"
An over pressured water heater "explodes"

An aircraft hits the ground, fuel tanks rupture spraying fuel, which ignites into flames
But it doesn't "explode"
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:14:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Looks like he was flying through low scud, broke through and found himself too low and not in level flight.  

Spacial disorientation with only a second or two to correct for terrain and didn't make it.
View Quote

Never flown a jet but how long does it take to recover if you level the wings and punch the throttle? Is the block of altitude to work that problem too big to recover if you pop out of clouds 500 ft up in a bank?
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:20:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Plane Crashes Into Neighborhood, No Survivors | El Cajon
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:21:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Never flown a jet but how long does it take to recover if you level the wings and punch the throttle? Is the block of altitude to work that problem too big to recover if you pop out of clouds 500 ft up in a bank?
View Quote

Lots of altitude, and spin recovery training.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:21:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Thats like, a mile from my sister's house
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:22:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure what category a Lear is, but it's probably about 2mi from the end of the runways.  

That might sound like a lot, but it's really not.

Circling approaches to near minimums at night is one of the most dangerous things you can do in an airplane that isn't being actively shot at.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:23:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looks light minimum flight speed without flaps is just over 200 knots or 230 m.p.h.

As he was in a dive and in unlevel flight, his speeds were even higher.

At say 250 m.p.h., distance traveled in 1 second is 367 feet per second.

If he broke through low scud 1000 feet (looked a lot lower than that), he'd have less than 3 seconds to correct the dive and roll.  

Just too little time to do anything, and he was traveling a lot faster than that/had less time.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:25:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Sad hearing the pilot’s last words.

Wonder what happened - spatial disorientation I imagine?
View Quote

That’s what I was thinking
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:26:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Now we’ve graduated from pedantic to obtuse
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/Triggered-143.gif

That meme always, and without fail, makes me laugh.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:30:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Looks light minimum flight speed without flaps is just over 200 knots or 230 m.p.h.

As he was in a dive and in unlevel flight, his speeds were even higher.

At say 250 m.p.h., distance traveled in 1 second is 367 feet per second.

If he broke through low scud 1000 feet (looked a lot lower than that), he'd have less than 3 seconds to correct the dive and roll.  

Just too little time to do anything, and he was traveling a lot faster than that/had less time.
View Quote

So basically half the time and twice the stall speed a "hobby" prop plane would have at best.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:32:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wouldn’t he get an alert that he was dangerously close to stalling or does the system not recognize his current situation as a crash possibility? Why not pick up speed and altitude and try another loop around?
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:34:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Years ago I was picked up in a lancair 4p with the turbo prop, and it was raining when we took off. About 3000 ft up the pitot tub froze and we lost airspeed.  This isn't the best plane to have that happen to.  It was warm on the ground and we didn't think about turning on the tube heater but without airspeed it can be tricky to figure out how fast you're going and things can turn worse if you mismanage it.  The plane we were flying does a solid 400mph ground speed, which is the same cruise speed as a F16..please don't ask me how I know that part.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:36:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@CFII

Can you explain that in more detail?

Thanks

As a complete layperson who's watched like 10,000 episodes of Airline Disasters, it's amazing how this sort of situation builds and builds and when the chain of the accident is complete it's just unravels at breakneck speed.

Terrifying and thoughts for that poor guy as he knew what was unfolding, and his final moments were recorded.

Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:36:26 PM EDT
[#37]
N880Z Learjet Crash El Cajon San Diego California - Circling to Land

Update: A friend pointed out that runway 17 is significantly shorter than 27R, and that the pilot may have chosen 27R because the runways were wet. That would be a reasonable choice. However, the pilot was extremely low as he circled to 27R, and there is rising terrain in that direction. I also didn't mention in the video that the current weather report included mist. When the pilot asked the tower to turn the lights up, the tower reported that they were already at 100% brightness. So although there was 3 mile visibility, the mist may have affected his distance perception, which is a common illusion in light rain or mist. - End of update.

Typically, circling is done when the winds are more favorable to land on a different runway. But as Max explains, the winds were light, and the pilot could have landed on any runway. But reasons unknown, he choose to do the more difficult circling maneuver to runway 27R. Circling has an accident rate thats 25X higher than flying a precision approach to a straight in landing. As Max explains, most likely the pilot chose 27R to reduce his taxi time on the ground. The crash occurred at the point where the pilot would have made his turn from base to final. This is reminiscent of a Challenger 604 crash earlier this year at Truckee, CA, where that jet also circled and crashed at the base to final turn.

As Max explains, when you have difficult conditions, such as it's night and the weather is poor, it's far better to fly a straight in approach, rather than circling to land.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Damn
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Okay, Deej.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay, Deej.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:41:02 PM EDT
[#40]
No wonder people got rattled, the jet was flying as low as 350ft above the ground. That would definitely shake the walls.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:41:02 PM EDT
[#41]
I have no experience whatsoever, but that seemed like a pretty steep bank at the speed while coming in for landing. The audio was tough to hear man
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:43:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looking at the approach charts that are available online, circling to 27R and 35 are not authorized at night, probably why they cancelled the IFR.  I read elsewhere they crossed over the field at 700' AFL when they started their pattern.

A Lear 35 "should" have an AOA indicator installed, the 25 I flew even had an approach indexer on the glare shield.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:44:56 PM EDT
[#43]
I bet it was all systems green until he hit something. I doubt he lost situational awareness.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:46:12 PM EDT
[#44]

I could listen to that guy talking aviation until the end of time.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:48:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Holy shit.
View Quote

Actually it was " oh shit!" X3 .
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Why cancel IFR in crappy weather? Was he trying to save 3 minutes? Sheesh...
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2021/12/28/06/52286255-10349325-image-a-19_1640674428358.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2021/12/28/13/52296093-10349325-image-a-36_1640697511640.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2021/12/28/14/52296099-10349325-image-a-23_1640701154245.jpg

https://i0.wp.com/timesofsandiego.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/crash17.jpg?fit=987%2C555&ssl=1

More

PICS
View Quote

Three references to explosion. I'm waiting for the detailed explanation about how it didn't explode
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:53:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I imagine something was amiss due to canceling IFR and requesting runway lights at brightest?
View Quote

No, it indicates the opposite.   He felt like it was in the bag.  Comfortable, maybe to the point of complacency.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:53:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Looking at the approach charts that are available online, circling to 27R and 35 are not authorized at night, probably why they cancelled the IFR.  I read elsewhere they crossed over the field at 700' AFL when they started their pattern.

A Lear 35 "should" have an AOA indicator installed, the 25 I flew even had an approach indexer on the glare shield.
View Quote

Yea, that video posted above is good. He crossed the airport at like 350 AGL....
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:53:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Why cancel IFR in crappy weather? Was he trying to save 3 minutes? Sheesh...
View Quote

Yeah that is weird....
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top