Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 7:05:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're a grown up watching a youtube playthrough of a puzzle or whatever isn't cheating. It's just getting through the game.
View Quote

Plus it's not like your putting in a no clip code or invincibility code. It can still require skill to do the thing in the playthrough.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 7:45:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Neat article about the technical achievements of the making of this game.

No One Understands How Nintendo Made 'The Legend Of Zelda: Tears Of The Kingdom  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2023/05/17/no-one-understands-how-nintendo-made-the-legend-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom/amp/

As The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom sails toward its destiny at 2023 GOTY, there's one consistent question that keeps coming up. How did Nintendo make this game?

Not as in, how did Nintendo make a great game after a history of making great games. But as in, the actual game development of it, because things that you can do within Tears of the Kingdom have baffled many game developers who simply do not understand how Nintendo could do everything they've done with Link's new building/physics powers to get past world puzzles, and do it all on the Nintendo Switch of all places.

The building mechanism is one thing, sticking pieces together to make little carts to ride around or crucify Koroks on. But it's the way the building combines with the physics of the game, and the design of the puzzles in the first place.

The physics in Tears of the Kingdom are insane, even more insane than what we saw in Breath of the Wild where Link could launch himself across the map riding boulders and things like that. There is just an incredible amount of work that goes into the physics of every possible configuration of things you can build in the game, and how it will interact with both other objects and the world itself, be it combat encounter arenas or more frequently, puzzles.

Then, if that wasn't complicated enough, you have to layer on additional powers like the ability to reverse the physical momentum of objects, essentially winding back time for individual, moving items, wherever they had just been launched. And the game does all of this without actually breaking anything, where in modern games full of bugs where players routinely run into errors doing simply normal things, all these physical impossibilities barely ever result in actual crashes or soft locks. If you think you're stuck, you're probably not, and the worst thing that ever happens is Link dies. And then you try again.

But it's not just physics wildness, it's also puzzle design. It is complicated enough to design video game puzzles, much less physics-based puzzles, with even one correct solution. In Tears of the Kingdom, practically every world puzzle or shrine puzzle and many of the dungeons will allow Link and the player to "break" the puzzle by concocting some absurd solution that likely even Nintendo didn't anticipate. People are far more creative than me, and already I've brute forced my way past a bunch of puzzles with solutions that were clearly not the "correct" one, but they worked anyway. In some janky fashion, they got me through the door, they got me up the ledge, whatever.

Again, to be able to do this without breaking a million different things in the process is absolutely wild. It's something I feel like I haven't seen since the Portal games, where you could sometimes bypass the "right" answer to a room puzzle with some creative tool use, but this is a level I have never seen in a game before. I'm not sure anyone has.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/17/2023 8:03:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Well then ToK is worth the price of a switch. I play on big screen with the hand held controller.

Playing on little switch screen and controls just doesn’t do it justice. Especially the sound.

Sorry for the hijack. But if you liked those 2, then a switch and the game are worth it. 100s of hours.
View Quote

Sigh. Now Im going to have to go out and buy a switch. Saw the Zelda edition one in the store today. May just buy that to match my BotW edition wii U.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 8:05:23 PM EDT
[#4]
lol Breath of the Wild was on wii u?
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 8:07:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
lol Breath of the Wild was on wii u?
View Quote

Yeah
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 8:07:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2023/05/17/no-one-understands-how-nintendo-made-the-legend-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom/amp/

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

As The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom sails toward its destiny at 2023 GOTY, there's one consistent question that keeps coming up. How did Nintendo make this game?

Not as in, how did Nintendo make a great game after a history of making great games. But as in, the actual game development of it, because things that you can do within Tears of the Kingdom have baffled many game developers who simply do not understand how Nintendo could do everything they've done with Link's new building/physics powers to get past world puzzles, and do it all on the Nintendo Switch of all places.

The building mechanism is one thing, sticking pieces together to make little carts to ride around or crucify Koroks on. But it's the way the building combines with the physics of the game, and the design of the puzzles in the first place.

The physics in Tears of the Kingdom are insane, even more insane than what we saw in Breath of the Wild where Link could launch himself across the map riding boulders and things like that. There is just an incredible amount of work that goes into the physics of every possible configuration of things you can build in the game, and how it will interact with both other objects and the world itself, be it combat encounter arenas or more frequently, puzzles.

Then, if that wasn't complicated enough, you have to layer on additional powers like the ability to reverse the physical momentum of objects, essentially winding back time for individual, moving items, wherever they had just been launched. And the game does all of this without actually breaking anything, where in modern games full of bugs where players routinely run into errors doing simply normal things, all these physical impossibilities barely ever result in actual crashes or soft locks. If you think you're stuck, you're probably not, and the worst thing that ever happens is Link dies. And then you try again.

But it's not just physics wildness, it's also puzzle design. It is complicated enough to design video game puzzles, much less physics-based puzzles, with even one correct solution. In Tears of the Kingdom, practically every world puzzle or shrine puzzle and many of the dungeons will allow Link and the player to "break" the puzzle by concocting some absurd solution that likely even Nintendo didn't anticipate. People are far more creative than me, and already I've brute forced my way past a bunch of puzzles with solutions that were clearly not the "correct" one, but they worked anyway. In some janky fashion, they got me through the door, they got me up the ledge, whatever.

Again, to be able to do this without breaking a million different things in the process is absolutely wild. It's something I feel like I haven't seen since the Portal games, where you could sometimes bypass the "right" answer to a room puzzle with some creative tool use, but this is a level I have never seen in a game before. I'm not sure anyone has.

Wife and I have already solved a few physics/building shrines and korok rescues by doing it completely differently.

Like radically different. Completely different materials, etc.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 8:09:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yeah
View Quote

I totally misremembered that and thought it was a Switch launch title or close to it. But I don't follow Nintendo as closely as other platforms.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 8:24:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I need to finish Botw and order this.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 8:24:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Wife and I have already solved a few physics/building shrines and korok rescues by doing it completely differently.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve done probably 30 at this point and I don’t think I’ve done any of them the “right” way
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 8:43:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I’ve done probably 30 at this point and I don’t think I’ve done any of them the “right” way
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm way behind you guys. I just found my first Korok thingy and I built him a little platform to ride down the rail. I was nice to him.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 8:48:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I’m absolute trash at using the new mechanics.

But, I’ve beat three Hinoxes while I’m still at 4 hearts.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 8:49:41 PM EDT
[#12]
The motion controls are jank but I can't seem to hit anything with arrows without it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 11:19:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Can't wait to give this to my kid for his birthday. He absolutely destroyed BOTW and he's only 7!
View Quote

Got it for our kids to share.

My 8 year old absolutely loves building things in the game. He built a siege tower to attack a Bokoblin fort. He is so excited to show me his latest creations in the game.

Older kid enjoys it too, but she doesn't want to be silly like us.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 11:33:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you using the..uhm…”battering ram” approach?

Zelda: Fighting Hinox with only recall, two rocks and a stick
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 3:05:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I keep telling myself I won't cheat but then get stuck on a shine for 30 minutes and have to research ridiculous solutions like purposely getting hit by lasers
View Quote

Lol pretty sure I know which shrine you’re talking about.

Had me fucked in the head for quite a while,
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 3:14:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Breath of The Wild was one of my favorite games of all time, for me, it was the perfect open world game. It was interesting, immersive, without being overly complicated or needlessly complex like a lot of RPGs, which is great for me because I’m at a weird intersection of short attention span, adhd, autism, and ocd-completionism,

I was a bit worried at first with ToTK, but now that I’ve a bit of time in it I’m less concerned. I thought the new game mechanics were going to be too much, but after playing the game enough I’m starting to like them. Opens up so many more paths for puzzles (which can be a good and a bad thing. It’d be nice to see how they intended certain puzzles to be completed versus whatever insane method I come up with)
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 7:36:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Is anyone getting the strategy guide from Piggyback? I used to love getting game guides to play games, especially RPGs like The Fallout games and was really sad when Prima went defunct.

I see Piggyback is making a TotK guide, I’m going to get it. It comes out on June 16th. I’ve been using the interactive map that was posted in this thread but there’s just something about being able to flip through a book as you’re playing that’s awesome.

https://www.piggyback.com/us/guide/the-legend-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom/
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 7:55:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This fusion stuff is getting out of hand.

Attachment Attached File

Reddit Link
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/18/2023 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SNcR5qobuo
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s awesome!  The possibilities are endless.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 2:28:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is anyone getting the strategy guide from Piggyback? I used to love getting game guides to play games, especially RPGs like The Fallout games and was really sad when Prima went defunct.

I see Piggyback is making a TotK guide, I’m going to get it. It comes out on June 16th. I’ve been using the interactive map that was posted in this thread but there’s just something about being able to flip through a book as you’re playing that’s awesome.

View Quote

Well, I preordered it now.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 2:36:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I am prepared to tactically acquire the missus'/kids' Switch to play this, BOTW, and Starlink. All three I just discovered for the Switch last month
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 2:38:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lmao

Dicked to death
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 2:43:26 PM EDT
[#23]
BoTW was the first video game my kids asked me to play over and over again while they watched. We beat the whole game together and then did it again in Master mode, which I really feel should have been what the regular difficulty level was from the get go.

My kids really like Ghibli movies and BoTW is like one big interactive Ghibli film.

Can't wait to play the new one but waiting until Father's day
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Finally took a break from exploring and ended up at the Wind Temple.

Apparently I didn't need to climb all the way up there and could have just used a freaking hot air balloon
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 4:24:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks a lot arfcom

Link Posted: 5/18/2023 4:33:44 PM EDT
[#26]

I thought about picking one of those up, but I have an original switch that still works great.  An OLED screen would be nice, but I play it on a big screen TV probably 90% of the time anyway.

Besides that, if I were to get another console, it would be the Steam Deck.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 4:52:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Apparently I didn't need to climb all the way up there and could have just used a freaking hot air balloon
View Quote

Ugh. FUCK!
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 4:54:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Ugh. FUCK!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ugh. FUCK!

ROCKET. SHIELD.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 4:56:11 PM EDT
[#29]
The Switch was dated when it was new and they're still selling special editions in 2023. People really don't care about frames.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 5:00:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm super excited for the guide.

So I went to Gamestop today I was going to also buy BotW. Why is that game still $60?
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 5:01:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

So I went to Gamestop today I was going to also buy BotW. Why is that game still $60?
View Quote

Because Nintendo doesn't lower prices you'll buy it anyway. They basically have a captive audience/Disney style loyalty base.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 5:02:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Because Nintendo doesn't lower prices you'll buy it anyway. They basically have a captive audience/Disney style loyalty base.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sadly, you're probably right. I will end up buying it at some point.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Sadly, you're probably right. I will end up buying it at some point.
View Quote

Nothing wrong with it. At the end of the day these things aren't that expensive. $60 was a lot of money when this shit was new.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 5:05:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The Switch was dated when it was new and they're still selling special editions in 2023. People really don't care about frames.
View Quote

Which is why I still play my classic consoles.  Sometimes simple is good.
First NES game I ever beat was Legend of Zelda when I was 7.  Sadly I haven't played a Zelda since Windwaker.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 5:07:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nintendo is for the games. I got a xbox series x and a desktop with a 3070Ti if I want to graphic out.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 5:09:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Which is why I still play my classic consoles.  Sometimes simple is good.
First NES game I ever beat was Legend of Zelda when I was 7.  Sadly I haven't played a Zelda since Windwaker.
View Quote

Yup. A Link to the Past is still my all time fav Zelda. Beat it countless times on the original SNES and also on the wii U.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 5:10:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Nintendo is for the games. I got a xbox series x and a desktop with a 3070Ti if I want to graphic out.
View Quote

Yeah I'm just being flippant. The Switch is like the third best selling console of all time right now.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#38]
I want to believe the guy holding up President Hudson signs across Hyrule is a cogent statement regarding modern politics.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 6:13:20 PM EDT
[#39]
I haven't played Zelda since the original Nintendo gold cartridge.   Looks interesting maybe I should get back into it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 6:28:50 PM EDT
[#40]
ZELDA Tears of the Kingdom: MEMES & FAILS Compilation
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 10:31:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's the crazy part. Old dated hardware, and still manages to be super immersive, engaging, and visually stunning at times.

I'm amazed I haven't ran into more issues so far, especially when pushing some of the physics stuff.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 10:39:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Negative, amigo. BB had it for 40.99, and Target had it for 39.99 for months (maybe still). Physical and digital versions.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 10:40:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Negative, amigo. BB had it for 40.99, and Target had it for 39.99 for months (maybe still). Physical and digital versions.
View Quote

My statement was meant to be taken more generally compared to every other publisher.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 11:08:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yeah I'm just being flippant. The Switch is like the third best selling console of all time right now.
View Quote

That's interesting.  I was thinking Nintendo was fading away.

But then of course they just released a Mario movie and they probably got a big bag of cash from recently allowing Universal to build a Mario Kart ride at their theme parks.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 11:09:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That's interesting.  I was thinking Nintendo was fading away.

But then of course they just released a Mario movie and they probably got a big bag of cash to allow Universal to build a Mario Kart ride at their theme parks.
View Quote

Nintendo has or is building their own theme park. They're pivoting from games to being a multimedia company.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 11:27:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Nintendo has or is building their own theme park. They're pivoting from games to being a multimedia company.
View Quote

They've had plenty of movies and television shows in the fairly distant past. The Mario movie was a tremendous hit, but it certainly isn't a new thing for them to try.

Nintendo owns a huge share of the Pokemon IP for instance and that's had approximately a zillion movies released and a TV show that has been running for over twenty years.

Nintendo certainly isn't fading. The Wii U was a weak entry, but Nintendo has always done their own thing and typically been pretty successful at it, even when they aren't putting out the same raw numbers.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 2:31:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Another good website for ideas. People showing useful builds/blueprints.

https://zeldabuilds.gg/
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 3:14:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

They've had plenty of movies and television shows in the fairly distant past. The Mario movie was a tremendous hit, but it certainly isn't a new thing for them to try.

Nintendo owns a huge share of the Pokemon IP for instance and that's had approximately a zillion movies released and a TV show that has been running for over twenty years.

Nintendo certainly isn't fading. The Wii U was a weak entry, but Nintendo has always done their own thing and typically been pretty successful at it, even when they aren't putting out the same raw numbers.
View Quote

Yeah they did multimedia stuff in the past. But now they're ramping it up to compete with Disney.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 12:04:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 2:13:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Admin, can we move this thread into the Wargaming forum?
View Quote

This isn’t a war game.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top