Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 3:22:14 PM EDT
[#1]

Double Yellow? I'm not good remembering all the amazon names.

Very nice looking amazon.

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 3:22:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Aw c'mon now, surely someone on Arfcom has a ferret
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 3:25:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Beautiful birds.  I wish I had the 10 grand to spend on one.  

Thank you. Only the Hyacinth goes for that much. IIRC you can pick up a Blue and Gold for about 2k.

Yup.  I saw a Hyacinth at the bird shop yesterday.  It was marked sold with a price of 12K.  They have a toucan there also, but it belongs to the owner and isn't for sale.  Most expensive bird I ever saw there was marked as sold with a price of like 25K.  The guy was having a room built for it at his home before he would actually take it.  I forget the species but they said it is almost impossible to breed them so they're crazy expensive.

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 3:26:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thank you. Only the Hyacinth goes for that much. IIRC you can pick up a Blue and Gold for about 2k.

B&Gs, Scarlets and Greenwings seem to range from $1500-2500.

Las Hyacinth I saw for sale was right at $10K.

For those wondering about the cost, the parents lay small clutches very infrequently.  You also have the fact that they need to be hand fed for 6+ months, as opposed to the other Macaws that may only need 3-4 months of hand feeding.  

Not to mention they don't have some of the dickheadedness of some of the other macaws... that's worth a few grand right there
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 3:27:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yup.  I saw a Hyacinth at the bird shop yesterday.  It was marked sold with a price of 12K.  They have a toucan there also, but it belongs to the owner and isn't for sale.  Most expensive bird I ever saw there was marked as sold with a price of like 25K.  The guy was having a room built for it at his home before he would actually take it.  I forget the species but they said it is almost impossible to breed them so they're crazy expensive.

[/div]

Black Palm Cockatoo?
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[/div]

Black Palm Cockatoo?

Would be my guess. Only bird I know more expensive than a Hyacinth.

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 3:31:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Quoted:
 [/div]
Black Palm Cockatoo?
That was probably it.  It was awhile ago, but I do remember it being that color.

Here's my Conure:

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 3:32:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

[/div]

You should see my parents house. Almost every room has bird cages built into the walls with 3 full size rooms dedicated to birds.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 3:33:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

[/div]

Black Palm Cockatoo?
That was probably it.  It was awhile ago, but I do remember it being that color.
Here's my Conure:[div]
[/div][div]
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w181/kypt_wc/Bindi/Bindi005Small.jpg

[/div]

This?

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

[/div]

Black Palm Cockatoo?

[/div][div]

[/div]

This?

http://www.jmparrotplace.com/images/Black_Palm_Cockatoo6.jpg

Yea.  If I spent that much on a bird, dude would have his own protection team.

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 3:36:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

[/div]

Black Palm Cockatoo?
[/div][div]

[/div]

This?

Woah, that guy is hideous!

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 3:40:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

[/div]

Black Palm Cockatoo?
[/div][div]

[/div]

This?

Woah, that guy is hideous!

Maybe, but they are so damned hard to breed. I personally have never seen a live one and I've seen thousands of birds.

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 3:40:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 3:44:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
wow nice rainbow ! But i cant do spiders ....

here are my hog island boas , will breed them in about 2 years .

http://imageshack.us/a/img443/3199/sam1003n.jpg

Those look like my old red tailed boa right after a shed.  He would darken up after a few days.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 3:46:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thank you.
Yes, she's a Double Yellow.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.

Our double yellow is on the bottom left. Only pic I could find of her ( Cookie ).

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 3:52:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh I hate peacocks!  We had neighbors that had them, damn things were noisy.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 4:00:52 PM EDT
[#23]

so that means the actual spider is a little bit bigger than that right?  

yea not in my house thank you.  I don't know what I'd think if I saw one of those wandering around outside my house but i'd definitely want to know where it was getting food.  That's the kind of spider that if you went to step on it, it would grab you by the foot and sling you around.

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 4:01:42 PM EDT
[#24]
My ball python, Jörmungandr.

First foray into the exotic pet realm.

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 4:02:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

yea not in my house thank you.  I don't know what I'd think if I saw one of those wandering around outside my house but i'd definitely want to know where it was getting food.  That's the kind of spider that if you went to step on it, it would grab you by the foot and sling you around.

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 4:04:16 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm suprised no ones been posting any salt water set ups. I have really been wanting to get a nano reef tank.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 4:06:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

yeah it measured 9" so its probably close to 10.25" or so.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 4:11:23 PM EDT
[#30]
I am shocked at how many of you own pets I would shoot on sight if I found them in my house.  

Seriously, who the hell keeps scorpions?  
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 4:14:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Got any experiance with the Cobalts? I can't decide on a bird eater or a Cobalt but I hear the cobalts are just fucking nasty mean

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.

Our double yellow is on the bottom left. Only pic I could find of her ( Cookie ).

http://www.parrotclubs.com/PFC/pics82.jpg

Do the different species fight with one another? My mother has a couple of African greys, and one tries to eat the cockatiels regularly.

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 4:24:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Aw c'mon now, surely someone on Arfcom has a ferret

Nobody can fit the camera up there to take a picture.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 4:27:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Do the different species fight with one another? My mother has a couple of African greys, and one tries to eat the cockatiels regularly.

Congo or Timneh  Grey? Congos have the red tail. Never had one bird trying to eat another, but once in awhile one bird will get in a pissing match with another. Worst we've seen is a broken wing and other assorted injuries. Nothing life threatening though. We do try to keep the Macaws separated from the Amazons and the other smaller birds separated from the bigger ones. When we put them all out on a sunny day, they all have bushes for all of them, but some will climb down and run to others when our backs are turned cleaning up the house.

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 4:29:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congo or Timneh  Grey? Congos have the red tail. Never had one bird trying to eat another, but once in awhile one bird will get in a pissing match with another. Worst we've seen is a broken wing and other assorted injuries. Nothing life threatening though.

We also have a sun conure.  He will kick the Macaw's ass, but the senegal will set his ass straight... it's actually kind of funny

Nobody has ever been hurt, thankfully.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 4:30:24 PM EDT
[#38]

No experience with cobalts, but based on what a friend of mine dealt with, goliaths need a very narrow heat/humidty range. If you can maintain that, go fr it. Too high or too low and you run into shedding problems(if yo get one young enough to be growing) and death.

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 4:31:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Anyone have rabbits? I want a Flemish Giant bad, so I can take it for a hop around the neighborhood.

Used to have some looking, to adopt another one or two. The Giants are awesome up close (size of a medium dog sometimes)

The leash thing though might not work. I had one that  was okay with wearing one and quickly learned that instead of a straight line they just kind of go in large circles, that's when they are not sitting in one spot which during most of the day is what they do, but they are very fun critters that are food motivated.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 4:32:07 PM EDT
[#40]
She has two congos currently...ditto and echo. She had a timneh, but he died somewhat unexpectedly.

I was exaggerating a little bit about eating another bird, but I'm pretty sure echo could take one of the cockatiel's legs off.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 4:34:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wife wanted a peacock for the farm... until she heard one of them light-off.  

Thats the best part about having them. They are like watch dogs. If anyone pulled in the driveway he'd fly up on the roof and raise holy hell

I think if I had to deal with their noise I'd find out whether or not they taste like a turkey-they look quite a bit like them if you subtract the color after all. Beautiful though.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 4:34:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congo or Timneh  Grey? Congos have the red tail. Never had one bird trying to eat another, but once in awhile one bird will get in a pissing match with another. Worst we've seen is a broken wing and other assorted injuries. Nothing life threatening though.

We also have a sun conure.  He will kick the Macaw's ass, but the senegal will set his ass straight... it's actually kind of funny

Nobody has ever been hurt, thankfully.

That is funny and I would love to see that. Conures can be very feisty.  Friend had a Nanday that would whoop his father's yellow nape's ass.

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 4:37:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Beautiful birds.  I wish I had the 10 grand to spend on one.  [/quote]

Ny cousin is the manager of a local petco-a woman came in with a blue and gold macaw, he made an idle comment like "beautiful bird, I'd like to have one omeday". A month or so later she came back, and gave him the bird, a $1400+ cage and $1000 in supplies free. Maybe you'll get lucky sometime.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 4:37:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
She has two congos currently...ditto and echo. She had a timneh, but he died somewhat unexpectedly.

I was exaggerating a little bit about eating another bird, but I'm pretty sure echo could take one of the cockatiel's legs off.

Mating pair of Congos? Congos are normally very friendly birds and have the largest vocabulary of any bird. I have yet to see an aggressive Congo outside of a mating pair.

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#45]
No, not a breeding pair.  He's a little off I think. I think he was somewhat ignored or neglected prior to my folks getting him. He's bonded fairly well with my dad, but he doesn't really care for anyone else.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 4:41:55 PM EDT
[#46]

That bird eater appears to be dead.

its a molt you dork.

Hahaha - When I was stationed at NAS Jax in the late 70's I had 2 friends in another squadron that had an apt. off base.  One had a tarantula and while I was visiting over there he told me it died, We uncorked a beer and drank to the spiders untimely demise.  Then he proceeds to chuck it out the 2nd floor window onto the grass.  

He was at another friends house later that day and and was telling him about the dead tarantula, when his friend explains how it's 99% sure that it's alive and just dormant during molting.  My pal zooms back to his apartment only to see the landscaping crew loading up the lawnmowers!  

I didn't let him live that down until I got transferred to the west coast  
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#48]
My African Pied Crow, Thoreadore

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone have rabbits? I want a Flemish Giant bad, so I can take it for a hop around the neighborhood.

Used to have some looking, to adopt another one or two. The Giants are awesome up close (size of a medium dog sometimes)

The leash thing though might not work. I had one that  was okay with wearing one and quickly learned that instead of a straight line they just kind of go in large circles, that's when they are not sitting in one spot which during most of the day is what they do, but they are very fun critters that are food motivated.

Not a giant, but my 5 minute attempt at reenacting Night of the Lepus.
" target="_blank">
I'm disappointed, Lumpy hasn't shown up in here yet.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 4:55:31 PM EDT
[#50]
80% Timber Wolves brothers, my best friends
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f60/oli700/IMG_1055.jpg

Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top