Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:04:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For those not familiar - Mapelsville is a small town at a crossroad in Alabama with a population under 1000 (my folks live there).
View Quote

Yes, it's a lovely small southern town about equidistant from Montgomery, Tuscoloosa and Birmingham and pretty near one of the national forests.  Lucky guys!

It's also a town in which there are a number of still-standing small early-period churches.  So, it's very picturesque...and rural.

Not taking anything away from the people who live there or Alabama itself, by any means, but Mapelsville is about the closest you'll get to the definition of the end of the road or the middle of nowhere.

I read today that the probability of a terrorist killing anyone with gunfire or explosives outside of a major metropolitan city in America was less than being killed by the same weapons by a native American toddler.

So, what's a quiet little country town practicing infantry tactics for?  Is it militia-related or something?

Best,

LF
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:06:48 PM EDT
[#2]

The SRT team my boy is on does this kind of thing too. One day a month is some kind of training. Live fire at specialized schools, when funds allow.. Sim rounds going both ways entry drills  that they exercise themselves, as well as just target type practice. Goes in spurts, of course, but they sometimes get way more 'practice' than they want while on the job. Biggest limitation of extra training is, of course, dollars.

I'm obviously biased, but my preference is that for 'offensive' type work cops should be getting what they need. I don't care if anybody else can get it or not or what kind of discount Depts get on the over the counter stuff. When you've got civilians, especially kids, in the lines of fire, there should be no holds barred in ending the situation with the least loss of life.

Local Depts are the first, most critical line of defense to the innocents that the scumbags prey on. The LEO's equipment & training is the biggest,
most important deterrent there is to that kind of an event happening in the first place. Skum go for the soft targets where they think they can do the most damage.

ANYbody who claims or has any conservative political tendencys at all should be all over having a strong local defense for any situation. Why in the world should we make ourselves open for attack & force ourselves to wait for somebody else to come save us? It's no different for our schools defense than our national defense, in this age.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:10:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
First, I don't think that people are going to flip their shit about this. We all realize that the world is a more dangerous place and as San Bernadino and Paris showed, the terrorists are changing tactics. Police will be asked to perform as infantry against teams with rifles acting as soldiers, they need some training and gear to meet the task.

Second, people bitch about militarization because they are ignorant of the threat or they have experienced an overly gung-ho cop in battle dress serving and protecting the shit out of them and it leaves a bad taste in their mouth. The wrong house no knocks, the no knocks for misdemeanor citations and the general asshattery of the wannabe tacti-ninjas have led to the "Oh no militarization!" cries, not cargo pockets or AR15s. (The MRAPs may have something to do with it though.)

It's not the clothes, it's not the equipment and it's not the training that causes problems. As with most things, it's assholes that cause problems. I for one am glad that these men are taking their jobs seriously enough to seek out and do additional training.

God speed and protect them.
View Quote

Violent crime is decreasing.

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:15:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I really don't see anything to be outraged about.

When it comes right down to it the tools and tactics of those who go where the enemy is and take him on in person don't change very much, regardless of whether that is local LEO, FBI HRT, or CAG. Even in a mass shooting, they'll still be tasked with taking a piece of ground, holding it, digging the enemy out of their holes, and forcing them then and there to surrender or die. Yeah, they need "infantry" training.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:17:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes, it's a lovely small southern town about equidistant from Montgomery, Tuscoloosa and Birmingham and pretty near one of the national forests.  Lucky guys!

It's also a town in which there are a number of still-standing small early-period churches.  So, it's very picturesque...and rural.

Not taking anything away from the people who live there or Alabama itself, by any means, but Mapelsville is about the closest you'll get to the definition of the end of the road or the middle of nowhere.

I read today that the probability of a terrorist killing anyone with gunfire or explosives outside of a major metropolitan city in America was less than being killed by the same weapons by a native American toddler.

So, what's a quiet little country town practicing infantry tactics for?  Is it militia-related or something?

Best,

LF
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For those not familiar - Mapelsville is a small town at a crossroad in Alabama with a population under 1000 (my folks live there).

Best,

LF

One scenario? Small towns is where 'can' have the highest percentage of drugs in a population. The parents, the kids, he'll, even some of the teachers & staff! Get a wacked out redneck ( I is one too ) on drugs, with a weapon thats decided they weren't treated fair & that they've got a legitimate ( in their mind ) axe to grind & you're off...

You don't need an imported foreign terrorist to mess up an otherwise good day...
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:27:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Cute.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:33:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I still say it's Cosplay for grownups.
View Quote

Ever been to a Carbine Course?
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:34:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's where I had that epiphany.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

I'd like to see an overlay of both CCW/CCL issued & also, separately, increased police training over that graph..

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:36:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:36:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I don't think "militarization" has much to do with that. We weren't militarized and we despised the public.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I live a few miles from there. I also have reservations about militarization but I am more concerned about the US/THEM mindset that it fosters.

I don't think "militarization" has much to do with that. We weren't militarized and we despised the public.

CONTACT FRONT!
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:36:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
First, I don't think that people are going to flip their shit about this. We all realize that the world is a more dangerous place and as San Bernadino and Paris showed, the terrorists are changing tactics. Police will be asked to perform as infantry against teams with rifles acting as soldiers, they need some training and gear to meet the task.

Second, people bitch about militarization because they are ignorant of the threat or they have experienced an overly gung-ho cop in battle dress serving and protecting the shit out of them and it leaves a bad taste in their mouth. The wrong house no knocks, the no knocks for misdemeanor citations and the general asshattery of the wannabe tacti-ninjas have led to the "Oh no militarization!" cries, not cargo pockets or AR15s. (The MRAPs may have something to do with it though.)

It's not the clothes, it's not the equipment and it's not the training that causes problems. As with most things, it's assholes that cause problems. I for one am glad that these men are taking their jobs seriously enough to seek out and do additional training.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2013/crime-in-the-u.s.-2013/violent-crime/violent-crime-topic-page/13violentcrimeoffensefigure.gif

Cool! Go show that chart to The San Bernadino city council.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:37:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL!  So true and they were a bunch of good guys even if they were playing dress up.  

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:37:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's fun to see ehat they start with and compare it to what they finish with.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:41:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2013/crime-in-the-u.s.-2013/violent-crime/violent-crime-topic-page/13violentcrimeoffensefigure.gif

That's not an answer, though.

It's a high visibility outlier. You're more likely to die in an auto accident (offshore!) than a terrorist attack.

Now, a random mugging or domestic dispute?  That might be something to worry about if you want to get worked up over everyday dangers.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:42:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Agreed.

But  I think that better firearm control, including shooting, should come first.
Before big bucks get spent on 'infantry' training, teach your cops how to handle a firearm,
both pistol and rifle. Spend a few $$ on ammo and shoot on a regular basis.

Once everybody knows how to shoot, and when not to, then move to advanced training like this.
I realize that the guys in the article are ex-.mil, but are they door-kickers or office workers?

If every PD that was contemplating such training, just did some serious gun control,
there might be fewer executions conducted in the streets, like we see posted here,
every week.

Do not get me wrong, all training is good, and every PD needs more of it, but from what I see,
the basics are getting skipped, meaning the repetitive shooting stuff.

If more cops fired more ammo in practice, maybe less ammo would get fired incorrectly, on scene.
Just less 'booger hooks on bang switches' would be a good start.

IMHO YMMV

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh, better than departments who give their cops no training.

Agreed.

But  I think that better firearm control, including shooting, should come first.
Before big bucks get spent on 'infantry' training, teach your cops how to handle a firearm,
both pistol and rifle. Spend a few $$ on ammo and shoot on a regular basis.

Once everybody knows how to shoot, and when not to, then move to advanced training like this.
I realize that the guys in the article are ex-.mil, but are they door-kickers or office workers?

If every PD that was contemplating such training, just did some serious gun control,
there might be fewer executions conducted in the streets, like we see posted here,
every week.

Do not get me wrong, all training is good, and every PD needs more of it, but from what I see,
the basics are getting skipped, meaning the repetitive shooting stuff.

If more cops fired more ammo in practice, maybe less ammo would get fired incorrectly, on scene.
Just less 'booger hooks on bang switches' would be a good start.

IMHO YMMV

Agreed. Add physical fitness training with shooting skills, the public would be better served.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:45:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
LOL!  So true and they were a bunch of good guys even if they were playing dress up.  

View Quote

If these training classes had a "least tactical" award I would win it every time.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:45:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That's not an answer, though.
It's a high visibility outlier. You're more likely to die in an auto accident (offshore!) than a terrorist attack.
Now, a random mugging or domestic dispute?  That might be something to worry about if you want to get worked up over everyday dangers.
View Quote

With a weekend's worth of training on basic teams and tactics, the average officer will be more well suited to handle mass shooting type events.

We prepare for all kinds of low probability things.

I think a weekend's worth of training is a good tradeoff to end an active shooter threat faster. *shrug*

Might save a few lives.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#19]

I doubt it would surprise many here and most don't want to bring it up really as decreasing crime rates boost our pro gun message, but many departments seriously cook the books on crime reporting.  It is in the command staff's best interest to look as effective as possible and to show continual improvement during their tenure.  Lots of things get reclassified or even just disappeared.  St Louis city had a shitstorm over it about 10 years ago where it was revealed that they would routinely downgrade the level of offenses and even complete "memos" on incidents instead of police reports.  

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I am all one for being prepared but it is just one more instance of the militarization of police.   And it has me wondering why a school?  It reminds me of what col Dave Grossman said about Chechnya
View Quote

So... you have an AR. You compete in 3-gun and go to various shooting schools. Militarization of the population? Is that somehow wrong, too??? Now, let's say one or two of your neighbors with the same hobby goes off the rails and robs a bank. You REALLY expect officer polyester friendly with a pistol to be able to apprehend them?
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:46:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I always laugh at the camo.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:47:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Honestly, the police should probably have some basic fire and maneuver training. It's sorely lacking now and would obviously be useful in some active shooter type scenarios. For most agencies anything other than stacking on a door becomes disorganized clown shoes.
View Quote

lol physical standards would be a million times more beneficial to them than swat training.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:47:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
If these training classes had a "least tactical" award I would win it every time.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I wear my issue gear and usually get kudos from the instructors for it.  I generally go "turtle" on my back several times while wearing my Interceptor when dropping to a sitting position or other lower shooting position.  It ain't pretty, but it is realistic.  

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:47:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For sure. Always fun to run around and shoot.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I always laugh when people criticize it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:48:17 PM EDT
[#26]
They have on scary 6 pocket pants
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

lol physical standards would be a million times more beneficial to them than swat training.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Honestly, the police should probably have some basic fire and maneuver training. It's sorely lacking now and would obviously be useful in some active shooter type scenarios. For most agencies anything other than stacking on a door becomes disorganized clown shoes.

What if they're already in good physical condition?
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:57:13 PM EDT
[#28]
"Cover me."
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:57:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it a coincidence that graph is relative to Obamas presidency?
Maybe the amount of govt handouts have made the criminals lazy?
Maybe we better all start training more so when Trump takes office and the subsidies are cut we will be able to fend off the rise in criminal activity.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:58:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 4:01:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
In before the Mraps roll  over onto in to the thread.
View Quote

Fixed.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 4:02:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm not going to do that type training in class A's. Shit costs to much and tears up easily.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always laugh when people criticize it.

I'm not going to do that type training in class A's. Shit costs to much and tears up easily.

Exactly.

I can get camo shirts for $10-15 a pop, use them up and throw them away.

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 4:04:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Good for them.  Be prepared.

I do, however, hope they train to be prepared for armed citizens that may be defending themselves.  This will be very important if anything did break out.  Police need to get out of the mindset that everyone who has a gun is a target.
View Quote

Small town LE is generally very used to its citizenry being armed.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 4:06:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do, however, hope they train to be prepared for armed citizens that may be defending themselves.  This will be very important if anything did break out.  Police need to get out of the mindset that everyone who has a gun is a target.

Yep. We pretty much assume it.

No big deal.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 4:06:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 4:07:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 4:08:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I can't help but think of this place when I attend a civilian open class and the things I see. Gucci tactical. Generally great guys.

I look like a hobo with my mismatched stuff.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't help but think of this place when I attend a civilian open class and the things I see. Gucci tactical. Generally great guys.

I look like a hobo with my mismatched stuff.

I dunno man, that rifle you had last year was .

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 4:08:25 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

No big deal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No big deal.
Hell, we encourage it at my PD.  It is a common suggestion from the city council on down to us that you be armed in case of an emergency.  

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 4:11:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Hell, we encourage it at my PD.  It is a common suggestion from the city council on down to us that you be armed in case of an emergency.  

View Quote

That's how it should be.

Your lines of defense are:

1) You
2) Your family
3) Cops
4) SWAT

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 4:11:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

So, what's a quiet little country town practicing infantry tactics for?

View Quote

Terrorists are everywhere!

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 4:16:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I'd like to see an overlay of both CCW/CCL issued & also, separately, increased police training over that graph..

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 4:20:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Maybe we better all start training more so when Trump takes office and the subsidies are cut we will be able to fend off the rise in criminal activity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Violent crime trend is down since the early '90s, if not longer.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 4:20:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Infantry...snicker...

LOL
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 4:22:24 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
That's how it should be.

1) You

2) Your family

3) Cops

4) SWAT

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's how it should be.

1) You

2) Your family

3) Cops

4) SWAT

Exactly, and the only reason I view it as different in our case is due to our location.  Urban PDs don't always think that way, but we seem to have some pretty level headed leaders.  Since we are small and have an obviously small PD, our little town could be overwhelmed by crap in short order if things really went south ala Ferguson due to how St Louis county consist of so many small communities mixed together.  

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 4:32:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Exactly.

View Quote

That's what IT vendor shirts from conferences are for.  That or painting.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Exactly.

So true.

I usually ask for a XXXXXXL, so I can cut it up and get more tie-offs for the garden.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 4:37:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 4:37:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

So true.

I usually ask for a XXXXXXL, so I can cut it up and get more tie-offs for the garden.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Exactly.

So true.

And they stock plenty of those at tech conferences.  
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top