Page / 24
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 2:33:36 AM EDT
[#1]
double tap
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 2:36:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The fact that you have to worry about this in America is fucking disgusting, but you ain't wrong.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Post up who the cocksuckers are
I'd like to but here's the thing.

In 3 months he has to travel back through there in the same vehicle. License plate readers being what they are, I don't want to risk this getting out on the internet.

The fact that you have to worry about this in America is fucking disgusting, but you ain't wrong.

No he's not.

Probably OK or KS.

Quoted:
Quoted:
That is the issue. Everyone is a fucking criminal. Even if they call 911 to make sure the unmarked vehicle is an actual cop.

Let’s change the circumstances and see what ARFCOM thinks…. A ghetto rat in the hood get lit up and keeps on driving, keeps going for miles because he’s worried it might be a rival gang in that “blacked out “Dango” with lights…..

I’ll bet you dollar to donuts that virtually everyone here would summarily hang his ass on the closest lamp post, but OP’s kid can do no wrong.

He called 911 to confirm, dispatch was in contact with the officers since they confirmed the stop.

Obviously the officers weren't in a hurry.

Something else. You may think that you, or your family member doesn't look like a drug dealer, and they probably don't, but agencies are under the microscope so they have to pad their statistics for stops, searches, and arrests with non-minorities.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 2:38:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Anyone can put lights and sirens on any vehicle.  What agencies use a durango?  I would say that it would be an odd unit for a law enforcement vehicle.  As a former road pirate, I don't think any agency should be running traffic in an unmarked vehicle.  They should also be wearing an easily identifiable uniform.
View Quote

OHP, RCSO, and another local agency has an unmarked Durango.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 2:55:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What agencies use a durango?
View Quote

An agency that took one from someone they claim to have been carrying drugs in it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 3:00:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Some things.

30 minutes on the interstate is not 30 miles with a what, 80mph speed limit in Montana?

Durangos are common LE vehicles. For the record, so are Dodge pickups, Ford Expeditions and Tahoes.

No one is going to follow a car for 30 minutes. There are plenty of other cars on the road. Even in Montana.

No one gets butthurt for someone calling dispatch and police impersonators don't hang several thousand lumens of LED lights on their car. We will think a GUY doing it is ridiculous.

While we are at it, somebody needs to look up the definition of an unmarked car in Montana statute.

3 hours? I've completed fatality investigations in less time and as a supervisor at the 45 minute mark I would have asked him what the hell was going on.

I have never in my life, come across a plain clothes dog handler.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 3:04:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Pot needles are serious business.   Obey.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 3:06:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Some things.

30 minutes on the interstate is not 30 miles with a what, 80mph speed limit in Montana?

Durangos are common LE vehicles. For the record, so are Dodge pickups, Ford Expeditions and Tahoes.

No one is going to follow a car for 30 minutes. There are plenty of other cars on the road. Even in Montana.

No one gets butthurt for someone calling dispatch and police impersonators don't hang several thousand lumens of LED lights on their car. We will think a GUY doing it is ridiculous.

While we are at it, somebody needs to look up the definition of an unmarked car in Montana statute.

3 hours? I've completed fatality investigations in less time and as a supervisor at the 45 minute mark I would have asked him what the hell was going on.

I have never in my life, come across a plain clothes dog handler.
View Quote

Is this a coy attempt to call OP, and/or his son, a flat-out liar?
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 3:08:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 3:52:21 AM EDT
[#9]
As I stated in my above post, a local podunk one horse town police department has an unmarked dark gray Durango with a setina push bar in it. He usually sits in the middle of 169 trying to catch a speeder. Gotta generate revenue for the one horse town.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 3:54:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So you are saying that everyone a cop pulls over in an unmarked car can reasonably be expected to call it in before stopping?

View Quote

If you want to be recognized as a cop, step one is looking the part. Kind of the whole point of uniforms and marked cars.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 3:57:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

why not?

is the population today too stupid to recognize a cop car with all its lights and siren on?  how about the kid taking some responsibility for driving 15 over and not pulling over for miles after being lit up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe cops shouldn't do traffic stops with unmarked cars.

why not?

is the population today too stupid to recognize a cop car with all its lights and siren on?  how about the kid taking some responsibility for driving 15 over and not pulling over for miles after being lit up.

Oh, you mean like all the police cars at road work sites in TX, for example, that are personal cars that are tapco’d out like a volunteer fire firefighters car and magnetic “police” decals on them? Those look skeptical/unprofessional, but are legit, let alone unmarked cars.?????
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:02:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'd love to get an attorney but apparently this was not State Police but a local agency.  I doubt it would be worth the trouble and expense, I'm sure they do this daily and get away with it.
View Quote

For me the money would not be the point.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:04:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'd love to get an attorney but apparently this was not State Police but a local agency.  I doubt it would be worth the trouble and expense, I'm sure they do this daily and get away with it.
View Quote
What local agency would follow for that long and do a 3 hour traffic stop?
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:51:18 AM EDT
[#14]
tag for later.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:53:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You're hearing a story secondhand and you default to disbelief instead of considering that some of the details were probably mis-remembered due to stress and relayed, probably a piece at a time, to someone who wasn't there and probably doesn't remember all of them either.

It's almost like you have some sort of bias. I just can't put my finger on it.
View Quote

I default to disbelief because most, not some, of the facts dont make sense and the OP's "I dont want to post this on the internet because my son has to drive back that way" bit throws up more red flags than a May Day Parade in Communist China.  But hey the people buying the story hook line and sinker certainly dont have any kind of bias either now do they?
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 5:45:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Where can I look that up?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now I know full well the story is BS.  A speeding ticket on an Interstate for 10 over is $40, not $150.  Sorry man, he is lying to you.  $150 doesn't even exist in the bond schedule for speed.
Where can I look that up?

@Jerryjeff

https://leg.mt.gov/bills/mca/title_0610/chapter_0080/part_0070/section_0250/0610-0080-0070-0250.html
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 5:50:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Dogs are incredibly unreliable.
View Quote

Depends on the intended purpose of their use. Indicating presence of drugs or green-lighting 4th-A exception?
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 5:55:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:… I respect the police…
View Quote

Why?

Respect needs to be earned. None of them receive any until it is individually earned.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 6:01:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This. Detained for 3 hours and a full vehicle search over a speeding ticket is ridiculous. And they’ll keep doing it until someone pushes back on it.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 6:02:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 6:05:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's the fourth amendment loophole!

Still can't believe our judicial system approves, even knowing the false hit numbers..
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 6:08:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Okay, I’ll say the obvious and unpopular - maybe just pull over immediately next time instead of calling 911 and making an issue of the stop when he was admittedly speeding.

There are "vehicles with a single light from the internet" and then there are "cops with a million professionally installed lights."

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 6:16:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Lol @ everyone screeching about siccing a lawyer on them like it’s really going to turn out to be a payday and vindication. Unless you’ve got a few grand that you’re willing to just piss away, lawyers aren’t doing shit unless you’re paying them and it’s actually worth their time to take your cash on a likely hopeless case that didn’t involve someone actually being falsely arrested and taken to jail. They are absolutely not there to right wrongs and provide justice for their clients, only to make money, and they’re almost certainly not going to make any off this. That being said, what happened to the OPs son was out of line and unprofessional and shouldn’t have happened like that and I’d be pissed too if that was my kid. It just isn’t a money maker like some here think it is. There needs to be national training standards that must be adhered to when agencies choose to use drug dogs with severe consequences when handlers don’t fully follow them. I cringe when I see videos of officers tapping on cars and getting the dog all wired up by appearing to be verbally encouraging it to hit on the car. And what modern day agencies don’t have body cams, especially for drug interdiction stops? They shouldn’t be performed without visual and audio recording.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 6:23:06 AM EDT
[#24]
If I understand your story, it was over 4 hours for this traffic stop?  I find that very hard to believe.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 6:25:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
How much money do you have?  Sue those bastards.
View Quote

For what?

Link Posted: 5/31/2023 6:30:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

For what?

View Quote

Violating civil rights. You should do some research on what is and is not legal.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 6:31:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It's definitely possible that there was weed in the car, I mean they are two college kids from Austin.

View Quote

Yeah, I get that. I am going to say again, there is probably a few stretched truths in the original story. I am going to assume it was a good stop and probably a good learning lesson for the boy.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 6:33:11 AM EDT
[#28]
30 miles??

I wonder how many real criminals drove by the cop as he was tailing 2 innocent youths.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 6:34:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Think of the bright side OP:
When I read “protected, and served” it usually ends with a taxpayer dead. So consider yourself lucky
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 6:39:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

So you are saying that everyone a cop pulls over in an unmarked car can reasonably be expected to call it in before stopping?

View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 6:50:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Violating civil rights. You should do some research on what is and is not legal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For what?

I LOL'd
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 6:51:19 AM EDT
[#32]
I had a run in with a bunch of Tippecanoe County sheriff criminals as a kid.

Too far away for my Chicago friends to straighten them out.

That night I learned that sometimes criminals wear badges, carry guns, and have the court system behind them.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 6:54:35 AM EDT
[#33]
all of it will have been recorded.
get a copy and go from there.
of ALL parties that were there.
each car and each cop will (should) have video
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 6:54:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:I WOULD FIGHT THE TICKET, if you have that option, see what the States Atty/ Judge has to say about what happened.
View Quote

An optimist appears!

Link Posted: 5/31/2023 6:54:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Though I think that's partly intended.

"See, he blinked, that's a signal!"
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 6:56:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
An hour is WAY to long to drag out  a traffic stop legally.

Drug cops are almost all assholes. Sure there MAY be a few decent ones but the majority are power hungry people with badges.

And if the dog alerted and no drugs were found, the dog is defective like most drug dogs are.
View Quote

This. Recent-ish Supreme Court ruling--police cannot detain you longer than what is reasonable to address the reason for the stop. IOW, you're pulled over for speeding, they can't make you sit and wait 4 hours for a dog.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:08:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This. Recent-ish Supreme Court ruling--police cannot detain you longer than what is reasonable to address the reason for the stop. IOW, you're pulled over for speeding, they can't make you sit and wait 4 hours for a dog.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
An hour is WAY to long to drag out  a traffic stop legally.

Drug cops are almost all assholes. Sure there MAY be a few decent ones but the majority are power hungry people with badges.

And if the dog alerted and no drugs were found, the dog is defective like most drug dogs are.

The dog was in the first car to pull them over, so there was no wait for the dog. Once the dog alerted they could be detained until the probable cause search was satisfied.

The indicators were all in the cop's favor:
1. They refused to stop, so they could have been hiding contraband or trying to toss it.
2. The girlfriend started crying like it was the end of the world, like she'd just been caught her first time
3. Vehicle full of shit
4. Dog alerted to vehicle

You're going to have a bad time with those four.

Maybe take your new driver to the PD to talk to a officer about how a traffic stop works so they aren't a blubbering mess the first time they see the red and blues?

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:13:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If you want to be recognized as a cop, step one is looking the part. Kind of the whole point of uniforms and marked cars.
View Quote

nothing like an Unmarked Car, khaki pants and a collared 3 button pullover and sunglasses.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:15:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Having moved from TX to Montana I can somewhat relate…

I was through Musselshell county summer 2021 in a G550 4x4^2. I was pulled over by a deputy and had the dog brought out, it was over an hour and half. After finding no drugs they asked me how I afforded a car like that looking like I do. I’m tattooed everywhere that can be covered by pants and a long sleeve. I tried explaining to the guy that I worked for one of the big tech companies as a sales rep. He literally didn’t believe me and I had to pull up my ADP paystubs. He asked how he could get a job like that and I laughed and told him he wouldn’t be getting one.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:15:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Nonsense.  It reliably created probable cause for him to search the vehicle.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:17:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

OHP, RCSO, and another local agency has an unmarked Durango.
View Quote

Indiana local, county, and state agencies use several unmarked pickups and SUVs, mostly Dodge and Ford. Just noticed a new unmarked blue Ford pickup in our city.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:18:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

why not?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

why not?

Yeah they don't just sell lights and sirens to just anybody.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:27:36 AM EDT
[#43]
In Cleveland a couple months ago there was a Cherokee and Durango with lights pulling people over and robbing them.

They were not cops
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:33:24 AM EDT
[#44]
I've been to that lodge. Nice place. Beautiful country. I'd fight that ticket in court hard. Fuck that guy.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:34:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
It's definitely possible that there was weed in the car, I mean they are two college kids from Austin.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Op isn't getting the full truth from his son. Times and length of following and the whole stop are probably bullshit. Also, why would he need to "spee up" to pass someone on the interstate?  

Op is biased and that is natural. I would be to. But in all honesty a few stretched truths can make a good traffic stop into a bad one.

What if they did have some kind of drugs? Does the kid or his gf smoke weed and didn't have it in MT smoke shop packaging? Maybe the cop just confiscated it for destruction?

Also, the 10 over ticket is usually given for doing 10-20 over and they drop it down so that it is only a $20 ticket that doesn't go on your record. I'm betting that if he was doing less then 10mph over, he wouldn't have been pulled over.

@Country
I would be willing to bet there are very few if any K9s in Montana still on duty that have been trained on Marijuana. There has not been a K9 placed in ND, SD, MN, WI, IA, and MI that have gone through the two training programs and certification bodies that I am very familiar with for going on 3 years trained on pot. And any dog that was dual purpose if marijuana is made legal on the state level is moved to single purpose apprehension. And NO dogs trained on pot will be used as a narcotics dog.

What happened to OP's kid should not have happened period.

OP needs to FOIA the K9s Certification history, ASAP. FOIA the certification record of the Radar/laser equipment on the squad, ASAP.

K9s need to be recertified annually. And for the last few years departments have been putting it off. I would be willing to bet, this entire thing can get tossed and if he wanted to pursue civil suit, he could.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:36:58 AM EDT
[#46]
We have given police, and government in general, far too much power.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:37:43 AM EDT
[#47]
11 pages of cops trying to justify this bullshit.

11 pages.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:37:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Did you miss the post where it is illegal in some states to do traffic enforcement in an unmarked vehicle?
View Quote

Did you miss the post that this happened in a state where cops do pull people over in unmarked units? Why does what happened in other states matter  in anyway to the problem OP’s son created for himself?
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:43:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Protecting and serving. FOIA the video. Judge harshly afterwards.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:45:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
11 pages of cops trying to justify this bullshit.

11 pages.
View Quote

11 pages to realize the op’s son appears to have lied about the ticket cost and for the op to say there could’ve been weed in the car. It seems less about justifying this story and more about highlighting it’s fictitious.

Just get your son to take a picture of the ticket…
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top