BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 24
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:28:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Isn't the problem here the use of a unmarked vehicle for traffic enforcement?
View Quote

No. Unmarked cars are a reality that every licensed driver has to deal with, OP’s son doesn’t get an exception.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:29:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My son just pulled into Big Sky, 3 hours late and a $150 traffic ticket lighter but he learned a couple of tough lessons today.

I'll get more details tomorrow, if anything noteworthy comes up I'll post it.

View Quote

You said a local cop followed him for 30 miles?, all the way outside of his possible jurisdiction?   state cops dont even do that, they pull you over waaaay sooner if they are suspect of anything.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:29:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Make sure you vote for that canine in the other thread.

Back the blue!
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:29:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

A cop smoked a 17yo girl? what did she do to warrant that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cops drive unmarked cars, teaching your kid to not pull over for them is a great way to have her get felony stopped with a bunch of nervous trigger fingers in her face.

About 10 years ago, some snowflake 17 year old girl didn’t think she had to obey the cop that had her pulled over and when she tried to roll away with the cop in front of her she got shot and died.

Being scared is not an antidote to the realities that other people in the world deal with. Emergency lights mean “pull over as soon as it is safely practicable”, not “pull over only if you feel safe”.

I pull over as soon as possible.  Not as soon as vehicularly safely possible - there is a man chasing me with a gun who will kill me if he’s having an off day and I don’t do as immediately demanded.  

The middle of the road in this double-jersey-barriered construction zone is fine by me, and if they want me to move somewhere else they can damn well fucking say so since I’m now their property.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:29:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

So you are saying that everyone a cop pulls over in an unmarked car can reasonably be expected to call it in before stopping?

View Quote

Yes of course, why would anyone think they are legitimate?
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:30:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My son just pulled into Big Sky, 3 hours late and a $150 traffic ticket lighter but he learned a couple of tough lessons today.

View Quote

Now I know full well the story is BS.  A speeding ticket on an Interstate for 10 over is $40, not $150.  Sorry man, he is lying to you.  $150 doesn't even exist in the bond schedule for speed.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:30:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I’m not Pissed at anything. The kid fucked up and hopefully learned a lesson.
View Quote

What exactly did the "Kid Fucked Up"???
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:30:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I pull over as soon as possible.  Not as soon as vehicularly safely possible - there is a man chasing me with a gun who will kill me if he’s having an off day and I don’t do as immediately demanded.  

The middle of the road in this double-jersey-barriered construction zone is fine by me, and if they want me to move somewhere else they can damn well fucking say so since I’m now their property.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cops drive unmarked cars, teaching your kid to not pull over for them is a great way to have her get felony stopped with a bunch of nervous trigger fingers in her face.

About 10 years ago, some snowflake 17 year old girl didn’t think she had to obey the cop that had her pulled over and when she tried to roll away with the cop in front of her she got shot and died.

Being scared is not an antidote to the realities that other people in the world deal with. Emergency lights mean “pull over as soon as it is safely practicable”, not “pull over only if you feel safe”.

Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:31:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I wouldn't pull over for an unmarked car without verifying its an actual policeman, either.

Pull over immediately?  Whoops, its a car jacker.  Sorry you guessed wrong.   You're dead now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did you give him the advice to not pullover?      ‘Cause that’s why it happened.

- not saying it’s right. But it’s reality.   He’s lucky that all he got.

I wouldn't pull over for an unmarked car without verifying its an actual policeman, either.

Pull over immediately?  Whoops, its a car jacker.  Sorry you guessed wrong.   You're dead now.

Problem is if it is the police which is probably likely most of the time it escalates the situation and greatly increases the odds of a dangerous situation with them. We've seen it time and time again.

Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:31:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Commanded by someone in an unmarked car whose identity he could not immediately ascertain.

You're pissed because he didn't just risk it and pull over for the random unmarked car?   Maybe if cops want people to immediately pull over they should drive actual fucking cop cars.

Cop was inconvenienced.  And for a reason that was of his own making.   Kid did the prudent thing and checked to see if it was actually a cop.
View Quote

I have a dark blue pickup, with dark tinted windows, a PA, airhorn and a couple antennas.

I could EASILY masquerade as a an unmarked if I put illegal lights in the truck.

Shit, I think I actually got mistaken for some sort of government vehicle in VA on 77. I went by a highway patrol motor cop running a trap, while doing definitely  over the limit.
I thought I was FUUUUUCKed.

He gave me a nod.

Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:31:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Ooops, you are right.  Should have just opened fire, kid deserved it for flouting authority in such a dangerous amd egregious manner.

Thank God he had registered all his braced pistols, right!?!

You have become a caricature in this thread.
View Quote

C’mon now, if you are going to take a swipe at me and make it personal, then you have lost.

My braced guns won;t be registered, why would his?
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:31:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This. Detained for 3 hours and a full vehicle search over a speeding ticket is ridiculous. And they’ll keep doing it until someone pushes back on it.
View Quote

Meanwhile these guys drive right past them
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:31:51 PM EDT
[#13]
"Papers, please!"
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:31:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No. Unmarked cars are a reality that every licensed driver has to deal with, OP’s son doesn’t get an exception.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No you are the problem.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:32:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Why would he be a cop hater now?

Why is it so hard to understand that cops are people just like everyone else? There are bad cops and good cops, so I don't understand why we don't judge people on their actions and not their job.

Guess I'm a boot licker, lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm sure your son is a Cop Hater now...with good reason.

Why is it so hard to understand that cops are people just like everyone else? There are bad cops and good cops, so I don't understand why we don't judge people on their actions and not their job.

Because this forum likes to be hypocritical? They don’t want to be compared to the crazy, insane gun toting maniacs that carry out mass shootings claiming those small percent don’t represent real gun owners. But then will also blame the extremely small percent of BAD cops for all the bad press cops receive, eating up the media narrative… boot lickers we are indeed!
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:32:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That one thing is the only thing that matters to the cop pulling him over. He is being ordered to pull over, and he is not stopping. It’s not optional.

Part of the reason we have the problems in society that we do with police interactions is that we have several generations of people who have never been told to do something by someone who means it and has the ability to back it up until they come across a cop doing his job being a power hungry jackboot thug.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:33:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

So you're all about following the rules, but you break the COC by attacking Op's son?

I see no problem with his son calling to make sure it's an actual officer behind him, and if the officer isn't professional enough to not get angry, he shouldn't be a cop.

Now, personally, I'd pull over right away but have no problem if someone doesn't.

I hope you're not a cop.
View Quote

What rule did I break?
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:34:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You said a local cop followed him for 30 miles?, all the way outside of his possible jurisdiction?   state cops dont even do that, they pull you over waaaay sooner if they are suspect of anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Local could mean county which wouldn't necessarily be out of jurisdiction.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:34:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

So you're telling me if I come up to you on the street and order you in a loud authoritative voice to get on the ground and kiss the asphalt, you'd going to do it immediately and without question?
View Quote
And don't forget that your wearing street clothes and don't have a badge.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:34:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Do you have an accurate time stamp on when the lights came on, the call to 911, and the verification and then pulling over? How fast were they going? How many miles would that be? Would dispatch confirm with him the vehicle stop or the cell call?
You have to be trolling at this point.  
View Quote

Recognizing this as a cosmic collision of idiots is not Trolling. OP’s kid made a mistake, cop acted on it, cop may have made a mistake if the stop went on as long as it did for the drug search.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:35:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Problem is if it is the police which is probably likely most of the time it escalates the situation and greatly increases the odds of a dangerous situation with them. We've seen it time and time again.

View Quote

A problem that is easily solved if police departments are actually interested in avoiding escalating situations into violence where violence isn't called for.   Simply don't pull people over in unmarked cars.  Don't use unmarked cars to patrol the highway.  Don't put people into the position of having to guess if the person trying to pull them over is a cop or a carjacker.

The impetus is on the police to not create this situation in the first place.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:35:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No you are the problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No you are the problem.

Unmarked cars are a reality.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:36:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So you're telling me if I come up to you on the street and order you in a loud authoritative voice to get on the ground and kiss the asphalt, you'd going to do it immediately and without question?
View Quote

Depends. Did I do something illegal? If not then no….. but standing on the street is a civil right, driving is a Privilege.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:37:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm sure your son is a Cop Hater now...with good reason.

It would be easier to understand that if cops rushed to condemn cops acting like assholes, instead of rushing to defend their abuses of power on the grounds that the victim didn’t sufficiently show deference to their awesome authority.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:37:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No you are the problem.

So are fake cops pulling people over.

Maybe the professionals should behave professionally.

But we're talking about power drunk idiots here.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:37:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
My son said 30 miles, I don't know if that's an exaggeration or accurate, it is what he told me though.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:38:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Just like the story in the op, you’re not getting the entire story. At least the op admits that, good for him. It amazes me sometimes how some threads take off like this and others don’t, the mouth breathers seem to be the common denominator.
View Quote

I can't believe a cop shot an innocent 17yo. I agree there is more to both stories. Just going with what was posted.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:38:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

C’mon now, if you are going to take a swipe at me and make it personal, then you have lost.

My braced guns won;t be registered, why would his?
View Quote

You used the story of a 17 year old girl that sounds like she basically tried to run down a cop as evidence that OPs son did the wrong thing. In a situation that obviously took a completely different sequence of events.

You lost.

I also posted evidence of an actual Montana sheriff saying that it is a good idea to call 911 to verify.

Also removing your main tenet that calling 911 before stopping is wrong and deserves punishment.

You lost.

Nothing personal, but the higher your horse gets, the worse it looks.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:38:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My son said 30 miles, I don't know if that's an exaggeration or accurate, it is what he told me though.
View Quote

Edited because I made a mistake.  Statement retracted.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:38:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:39:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

But OP’s some didn’t put his flashers on, did he?
View Quote

Lol.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:39:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

At what point is the dog de-certified?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a serious issue with cops being able to leave your shit lying around and telling you that you need to repack your own shit.
I have a huge issue with drug dogs. Cops should be required to keep records of hits that don't come up with any drugs and if the dog goes below some high percentage of hits the dog should be forever de-certified.

They are required to keep records.

At what point is the dog de-certified?

They just trigger the dogs on command if they really want to search the car.  How dogs are still PC is beyond me.  Along the same lines as dowsing rods IMO.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:39:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Now I know full well the story is BS.  A speeding ticket on an Interstate for 10 over is $40, not $150.  Sorry man, he is lying to you.  $150 doesn't even exist in the bond schedule for speed.
View Quote
Where can I look that up?
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:39:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

A problem that is easily solved if police departments are actually interested in avoiding escalating situations into violence where violence isn't called for.   Simply don't pull people over in unmarked cars.  Don't use unmarked cars to patrol the highway.  Don't put people into the position of having to guess if the person trying to pull them over is a cop or a carjacker.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't disagree but there isn't anything we can really do about it. Its just the way it is. Not pulling over causes problems. I don't recommend it unless there is really a reason to suspect its not a cop.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:39:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No you are the problem.

How did you come to this conclusion about this specific incident?
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:40:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Well, that's one side of the story.
View Quote

yeah, the side where they were let go because they committed no crime
i suppose they just super duper hid the drugs well
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:40:41 PM EDT
[#37]
I would advise your son to get a dash cam that records forward and backward. It obviously won’t help this situation, but might come in handy in the future.

Mine records everything in the vehicle, as well as what’s going on behind. I caught an accident behind me one time. I heard a racket coming from the opposite side of the road in the opposite direction, so I reviewed the footage when I got home and sho’nuff got me an accident.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:41:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could it be court costs ? Tickets can be more then the statutory amount listed for the offense. Just wondering.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:41:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

And calling the official police telephone number and verifying and then complying once confirmed by the official at that number are a thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And calling the official police telephone number and verifying and then complying once confirmed by the official at that number are a thing.

With flashers on to notify the police what you're doing, right?
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:41:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm having my doubts as well.

3 miles and 30 minutes would make it a little more believable.

Side note...  They've had several fake cops pulling people over here in Utah.  They have said to call 911 if in doubt.   And how can you tell it's an unmarked car when it's behind you?   UHP runs all white vehicles and I don't think they run light bars any more either on a lot of them.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:41:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
And don't forget that your wearing street clothes and don't have a badge.
View Quote

Lol, you lost me at this point. I understand being upset, but are you really saying you’re (not your) not smart enough to tell the difference? And you really think he didn’t have a badge? Come on now…
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:42:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I was 21 once, odds are he was doing more than 10 over.
View Quote

Let’s assume that’s true. Does that justify being detained roadside for 3 hours while they rummage through all of your shit because a dumbass dog “alerted” on nothing?
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:42:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

30 Miles and he would have been spiked and dragged out at gunpoint.  This story makes no sense.
View Quote

@squirrel_herder

Re-read the OP.

The Durango was behind them for 30 miles PRIOR to turning is lights on.

As they drove West out of Billings this afternoon, he noticed a Dodge Durango had been following them for about 30 miles.  At some point as he accelerated to pass a few trucks the Durango lit him up.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:43:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Some jurisdictions spell out how you can do a traffic stop.  There was no citation issued for failure to yield or attempting to elude.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:44:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just google Montana bond schedule.  it is public information published by the Montana Highway Patrol.  It is a small PDF.

Here, I did it for you:

https://courts.mt.gov/External/lcourt/training_guides/bondbook.pdf
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:44:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Depends. Did I do something illegal? If not then no….. but standing on the street is a civil right, driving is a Privilege.
View Quote

Oh boy.  Please do that the next time a policeman approaches you and tells you to stop.   "I don't have to stop for you, I didn't do anything illegal.  I did not create joinder!"

Hopefully you'll be lucky enough that he'll be in an actual identifiable uniform and you won't have to make a split second guess about "robber or cop."   Don't guess wrong.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:44:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No you are the problem.

No, I was generalizing those who would take issue with someone calling in to verify the authenticity of a unmarked vehicle pulling them over.

If you get angry over that, and decide to take it out on the person. You are an unprofessional idiot and have no business in law enforcement.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:44:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I would have probably pulled over because I am stupid

but in this particular case my stupid ass probably would have saved 2:30 hours of bullshit

you could  probably spot a derelict when they get out of the car in the side mirror unless they are full costume

judgement call I guess  - doubt i could spot a “unmarked cruiser” behind me  - would just see lights and hear sirens
View Quote

Dark pants, polo, plate carrier with name tag and police velcroed to the carrier. Get it all on amazon. Probably get lights and flashers as well.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:45:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Well, that's one side of the story.
View Quote

Whaaaaat? Noo
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:45:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This guy is so much on the side of the harassing cop, I have to wonder if he's the cop in the OP story.
View Quote

+1000
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top