BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 24
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:45:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

30 Miles and he would have been spiked and dragged out at gunpoint.  This story makes no sense.
View Quote
He didn't run after getting lit up for 30 miles.

My son said the Durango had been following him for 30 miles and then pulled him over after he accelerated and passed 2 trucks.  Once he saw the lights he called 911 and verified it was a real cop and pulled over.

This is all in the original post.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:46:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

A problem that is easily solved if police departments are actually interested in avoiding escalating situations into violence where violence isn't called for.   Simply don't pull people over in unmarked cars.  Don't use unmarked cars to patrol the highway.  Don't put people into the position of having to guess if the person trying to pull them over is a cop or a carjacker.

The impetus is on the police to not create this situation in the first place.
View Quote

Can you see the side or ghost markings when the vehicle stopping you is behind you?

GD fantasizes about the fake cop car jackers. And the OP's kid was in a known thug area with fake cops, right?
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:47:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:47:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I remembered 30 miles while they verified.  You are correct, my apologies.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:47:32 PM EDT
[#5]
$150 for a speeding is dirt cheap.  That would not cover the court cost in Alabama
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:48:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I would expect at least two miles, is that fair? 2 minutes at freeway speeds?
View Quote

Maybe 3, depending on the dispatch. If they were any good the cop would know by the time they pull over. Not unreasonable, but that sweet texas tag could mean drugs, money or both.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:48:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

yeah, the side where they were let go because they committed no crime
i suppose they just super duper hid the drugs well
View Quote
That's the thing.  I'm not saying I have the 100% truth at this point.

But, I can see he was on the side of the road for 3 hours and I can see he is now in Big Sky and not detained.  If his story is off, it's not that off.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:49:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Cops drive unmarked cars, teaching your kid to not pull over for them is a great way to have her get felony stopped with a bunch of nervous trigger fingers in her face.

About 10 years ago, some snowflake 17 year old girl didn't think she had to obey the cop that had her pulled over and when she tried to roll away with the cop in front of her she got shot and died.

Being scared is not an antidote to the realities that other people in the world deal with. Emergency lights mean "pull over as soon as it is safely practicable", not "pull over only if you feel safe".
View Quote
BULLSHIT

Plenty of cop impersonations that happen these days. Out in bum fuck backwoods nowhere it's perfectly acceptable to call and verify an unmarked car is legit. Any cop that has a problem with that is a perpetual narcissistic jackass that shouldn't be a cop. It won't hurt to take 90 seconds to verify. Put your hazards on, reduce speed to 10 under the speed limit. Then pull over once verified. Not a big deal.

And cops, running a regular street patrol should not be allowed to pull people over in an armored vehicle for traffic violations.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:49:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Or, if you forget the flashers, the person at the other end of the official police telephone number has the means to alert and communicate to the officer, that they made contact with dispatch to confirm, which should allay most of the responding officers concerns about "fleeing and eluding" that some other preposterous posters have expressed their "concern", especially since this did not devolve into a high speed chase, just someone calling the officials to confirm, since that is what regional law enforcement agencies in MT & WY have recommended due to falsely marked cars making traffic stops in the region.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With flashers on to notify the police what you're doing, right?

Or, if you forget the flashers, the person at the other end of the official police telephone number has the means to alert and communicate to the officer, that they made contact with dispatch to confirm, which should allay most of the responding officers concerns about "fleeing and eluding" that some other preposterous posters have expressed their "concern", especially since this did not devolve into a high speed chase, just someone calling the officials to confirm, since that is what regional law enforcement agencies in MT & WY have recommended due to falsely marked cars making traffic stops in the region.

So, were the cops aholes, or is there more to the story?
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:49:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

He doesn’t have a right to verify.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He didn't refuse. He verified, then complied.

He doesn’t have a right to verify.

Yes, actually, he does. Further, verifying the following vehicle is, in fact, a police vehicle and then pulling over immediately is compliance.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:49:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
He didn't run after getting lit up for 30 miles.

My son said the Durango had been following him for 30 miles and then pulled him over after he accelerated and passed 2 trucks.  Once he saw the lights he called 911 and verified it was a real cop and pulled over.

This is all in the original post.
View Quote

Yep,  I didn't remember his first post right, I based that off another post that made me think that was the case.  It has been retracted.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:50:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Tried pulling away with a cop in front of her bumper..
View Quote

He could step out of the way and go to her house.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:53:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:54:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No. Unmarked cars are a reality that every licensed driver has to deal with, OP’s son doesn’t get an exception.
View Quote

Did you miss the post where it is illegal in some states to do traffic enforcement in an unmarked vehicle?
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:55:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Not pulling over for an unmarked car until verifying that they are legit is a thing. It's a thing that might piss the cop off but there is nothing wrong with it.

Anybody remember they lady who did this and the cop pitted her? Does anyone know how that turned out?
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:55:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You said a local cop followed him for 30 miles?, all the way outside of his possible jurisdiction?   state cops dont even do that, they pull you over waaaay sooner if they are suspect of anything.
View Quote

It can happen here with the sheriff, even if he is just going the same direction as you.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:58:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You're in Washington? Surely you can see for yourself what drug freedom looks like. It's a major factor in this state turning into a first class shithole.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
War on drugs wins again!
You're in Washington? Surely you can see for yourself what drug freedom looks like. It's a major factor in this state turning into a first class shithole.
Dangerous freedoms
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:58:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I’m not Pissed at anything. The kid fucked up and hopefully learned a lesson.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Commanded by someone in an unmarked car whose identity he could not immediately ascertain.

You're pissed because he didn't just risk it and pull over for the random unmarked car?   Maybe if cops want people to immediately pull over they should drive actual fucking cop cars.

Cop was inconvenienced.  And for a reason that was of his own making.   Kid did the prudent thing and checked to see if it was actually a cop.

I’m not Pissed at anything. The kid fucked up and hopefully learned a lesson.

No, the *COP* fucked up. He'll learn a lesson if a lawyer gets involved and he gets unemployed at a minimum.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:59:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Call Governor John Dutton and raise holy hell!
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:00:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is my main point.

I get it that the officer was pissed that my kid didn't immediately pull over, but I believe the officer could've easily verified that the call took place.

He also could have confirmed that they were on their way to work for the summer and not just running the highway as drug mules.  The initial stop and speeding ticket are justified, I don't have an issue with that. Tossing the car and the 3 hour detention were not justified in my opinion.

Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:00:48 AM EDT
[#21]
He's lucky they didn't rip apart the seats or dash. What a joke.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:00:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Here's a reference for the police telling you to call 911 to verify.
https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-news/utah-woman-says-fake-cop-followed-her-on-i-15-tried-to-pull-her-over

You've got your shit wrong Dave.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:00:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yes, actually, he does. Further, verifying the following vehicle is, in fact, a police vehicle and then pulling over immediately is compliance.
View Quote

You think there is one central police dispatch center for an entire region? Multiple agencies exist and they don't all share the same dispatcher. Crossover does occur, but it sure isn't realistic to think a 911 call will first even connect you to the same center and that the center contacted is the one that has the agency trying to stop you.

Can you show us the law that you don't have to yield to an emergency vehicle displaying red/blue flashing lights and a siren until you call 911 and verify it is an emergency vehicle behind you?
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:02:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Unmarked cars are a reality.
View Quote

They are illegal for traffic enforcement in OH. The state troopers there have no trouble catching speeders, drugs, and stolen cars with fully marked cars with lights on the roof.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:03:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Can you see the side or ghost markings when the vehicle stopping you is behind you?

GD fantasizes about the fake cop car jackers. And the OP's kid was in a known thug area with fake cops, right?
View Quote

No fantasy involved here.  Gotta be lettering that can be seen, with a specific sized light bar for traffic stops.  Not an issue for the public.  Or the police.  Unmarked  cars are not even in the equation.  Can’t run radar if the car is not clearly  and  visibly marked and able to be seen from a certain distance, even at night.  Ga SC already ruled on that.  I know of one case where one of our cars was stolen while the officer was delivering paperwork to the court.  Left his car running.  Stolen from directly in front of the entrance to court.  Used later in a traffic stop and rape.  We had, and still have,  a policy against leaving police cars running.  There was no excuse for that to happen.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:04:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You think there is one central police dispatch center for an entire region? Multiple agencies exist and they don't all share the same dispatcher. Crossover does occur, but it sure isn't realistic to think a 911 call will first even connect you to the same center and that the center contacted is the one that has the agency trying to stop you.

Can you show us the law that you don't have to yield to an emergency vehicle displaying red/blue flashing lights and a siren until you call 911 and verify it is an emergency vehicle behind you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right.  All states should ban unmarked cars from doing traffic stops.

If you want people to know you are a police officer, act like one.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:05:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Three hours? Sue for the unlawful arrest.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:06:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

So you are saying that everyone a cop pulls over in an unmarked car can reasonably be expected to call it in before stopping?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would a cop pulling someone over in an unmarked vehicle not expect that?

So you are saying that everyone a cop pulls over in an unmarked car can reasonably be expected to call it in before stopping?

100 percent
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:06:33 AM EDT
[#29]
I got pulled over for going a lot over with CA plates near Billings...

...I ended up talking guns with the officer and got let off with a warning

Your boy caught a dude on a bad day or isn't sharing the whole story.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:08:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I got pulled over for going a lot over with CA plates near Billings and ended up talking guns with the officer and let off with a warning

View Quote
Pretty sure the not pulling over right away lit the fuse.  Or maybe the officer didn't like cats.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:08:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

But is detaining someone for 3 hours reasonable?  You and I both know that if that deputy believed he could have charged him with failure to yield, and or attempting to elude, he would have.  If this happened the way that OP said, would you, as a reasonable officer, taken the same action? And if he had to follow this guy for 30 miles, I doubt they have more than 2 or 3 dispatch centers that would have  to coordinate with each other.  With that much land to cover, and so few deputies, they probably share the same communications center, dispatchers, and more than probably the same radio frequencies.  I would think that in large rural areas, you’d have local, county, sheriff, and State patrol, that’s it.  I doubt those communication centers get that many calls for service and traffic from the deputies over the radio.  Don’t think it would be like in a city where you might have 10 different agencies with their own communications center.  They can communicate with each other in a timely matter.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:09:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

What rule did I break?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you're all about following the rules, but you break the COC by attacking Op's son?

I see no problem with his son calling to make sure it's an actual officer behind him, and if the officer isn't professional enough to not get angry, he shouldn't be a cop.

Now, personally, I'd pull over right away but have no problem if someone doesn't.

I hope you're not a cop.

What rule did I break?
You called his son a snowflake. But yet here you are posting all kinds of retarded shit
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:10:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Did he affirmatively state he refused consent for a search?
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:11:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:11:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In most areas, 911 centers can communicate with all LEOs in an area. As is posted above, when LEO agencies are suggesting calling 911 to verify the authenticity of a vehicle, that tells you that it is not only legal, but advisable.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:11:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
FOIA the video.
View Quote
You really should do this!!
Lawyer-Up might even do a civil rights video if your son wants him to

ETA: I see you said they had not cameras, but you never know, maybe dash cam caught it.
Also, don't some dash cams record audio via a mic on the officer?
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:11:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted: I respect the police…
View Quote

Why ?
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:12:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Well, that's one side of the story.
View Quote

If the kid is not in jail, it's likely the accurate side of the story, boot fellator.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:12:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Thats bullshit. So they can stop a little fentanyl but have more pouring over our border by the day.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:13:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Pretty sure the not pulling over right away lit the fuse.  Or maybe the officer didn't like cats.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got pulled over for going a lot over with CA plates near Billings and ended up talking guns with the officer and let off with a warning

...he has a cat?
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:13:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Police in the state were telling folks to do it. It's in the thread.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:16:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Three sides to every story.
View Quote

Got a 10 over ticket and NOT in jail.  Pretty sure there are only two here - the victims' and the road pirate's.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:17:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Police in the state were telling folks to do it. It's in the thread.
View Quote

Remember, cops can lie to you.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:18:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
He did not record.

I do know what agency, going to keep it under my hat until I know more.

They did not have body cams.
View Quote

Not worth a lawyer - there is no evidence here, just the testimony of the victims and the state's agent.  Guess who wins without a third party witness or video?
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:18:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Problem is if it is the police which is probably likely most of the time it escalates the situation and greatly increases the odds of a dangerous situation with them. We've seen it time and time again.

View Quote

This makes a lot of sense.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:19:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

But is detaining someone for 3 hours reasonable?  You and I both know that if that deputy believed he could have charged him with failure to yield, and or attempting to elude, he would have.  If this happened the way that OP said, would you, as a reasonable officer, taken the same action?
View Quote

It was an interdiction stop, with a person that didn't want to pull over.

3 hours?? I have done quite a few stops for interdiction and taken some cars apart to find hidden spots. I don't ever recall them going over an hour. And most are done in 15-20 minutes and that is just knowing where to check and how to check.

Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:20:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Im at the point that Im not even going to address a 3 hour traffic stop because I dont think one actually happened here.  Theres way too many holes in this story at this point
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When those of us that follow our SOP-s and the law, understanding those that don’t are outside of our ability to understand, or make sense out of.  I can’t make sense out of unlawful behavior.  Doesn’t mean it didn’t happen just because it makes no sense.  Might be some things left out of the story as relayed to dad, or things not understood, but is there a legal basis for stopping someone for 3 hours on a traffic stop?  That’s the bottom line.  

Im at the point that Im not even going to address a 3 hour traffic stop because I dont think one actually happened here.  Theres way too many holes in this story at this point

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:20:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

In most areas, 911 centers can communicate with all LEOs in an area. As is posted above, when LEO agencies are suggesting calling 911 to verify the authenticity of a vehicle, that tells you that it is not only legal, but advisable.
View Quote

Experience with "most areas"?

Now if you are talking rural with no multitude of agencies, you may be right.

So, you are now taking legal advice from cops? Because GD doesn't like that
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:20:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I respect the police
View Quote
It's getting to be less every year
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:22:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

...he has a cat?
View Quote
An essential part of the story.  The kid is traveling with his GF and her cat.  My son says the dog got excited when it saw the cat in the car.  At least that's what he says, I have no clue if that really happened. What I do know is that they tossed the car, ostensibly because the dog alerted, but nothing was found.
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top