[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Don’t stand under the load!

Also, hard hats.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 5:22:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Attachment Attached File

It's vertical right now, going up and over to the stack tonight.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 6:44:20 PM EDT
[#4]

If I forget about the cost I'm getting excited to watch this thing launch.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 6:50:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If I forget about the cost I'm getting excited to watch this thing launch.
View Quote

Yes, that could get ones eyeball twatching.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#6]
NASA is where you are moved to on grounds of gross negligence and incompetence after being "fired" from another DoD program, because you can't actually be fired from civil service.

It's a trip that almost all of the "lessons learned" from acquisitions fuckups and engineering incompetence come from some NASA project.

The only blessing here is that there is a new prime in town that NASA hasn't infected with their stink and NASA has some amount of POM funding that would otherwise be out of scope for the AF/SF. So at least some amount of funding is getting to competent people.

I have to deal with some NASA "program managers" and "engineers" on some of my efforts. Jesus Christ, like dealing with drunk special needs children.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 8:28:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
NASA is where you are moved to on grounds of gross negligence and incompetence after being "fired" from another DoD program, because you can't actually be fired from civil service.

It's a trip that almost all of the "lessons learned" from acquisitions fuckups and engineering incompetence come from some NASA project.

The only blessing here is that there is a new prime in town that NASA hasn't infected with their stink and NASA has some amount of POM funding that would otherwise be out of scope for the AF/SF. So at least some amount of funding is getting to competent people.

I have to deal with some NASA "program managers" and "engineers" on some of my efforts. Jesus Christ, like dealing with drunk special needs children.
View Quote

But aren’t COTS (commercial orbital transport services),
Commercial Crew, and HLS simultaneously the best examples of competitive bidding programs and the future for NASA.?
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#8]

It's.. beautiful...  Jupiter IV core stage is soft mated to the SRB's
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 10:00:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 12:13:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 12:14:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 12:16:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 12:18:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 12:26:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That thing is going to be soooooooo loud.  
View Quote

It's getting pretty exciting.

There's lots of better pictures at https://www.flickr.com/photos/nasakennedy/ taken by the professional media guys. Has ISS stuff, space x and Boeing Starliner too. Pretty much all the goings on at KSC.

Link Posted: 6/15/2021 1:44:45 AM EDT
[#15]
It won't launch this year. I'm guessing NET March-April 2022.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 2:05:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Photos like this show how enormous the VAB is. That thing is more than 200 feet tall and it looks tiny hanging in there.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 2:12:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Photos like this show how enormous the VAB is. That thing is more than 200 feet tall and it looks tiny hanging in there.
View Quote

One night they moved the VAB away from the tower at Vandenberg AFB, and since nobody was around, I drove through it.

At that point in time Lockheed was in charge of the thing and was messing around with it for one of their Athena-2 Launches (1999).
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 8:28:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Starship might make it to orbit before any version of SLS but definitely will make it to orbit before "Block 2" which is the actual heavy lift version.

I don't know why they are even bothering with this version... it isn't the production version... it won't ever be built again or used for anything other than this one flight.

I think... now I'm questioning myself that there might be like 4 flights with this version... basically until they run out of old shuttle engines and then they're never launching this version again.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 11:47:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shuttle x1.3 basically
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 11:51:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 11:51:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This version will make at least three flights.  
View Quote

This version will probably be the only version that flies
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 12:52:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Isn't there a limit on how long the SRBs can stay stacked?
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 12:53:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, but per Riverswine it can be waivered.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 1:14:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

One night they moved the VAB away from the tower at Vandenberg AFB, and since nobody was around, I drove through it.

At that point in time Lockheed was in charge of the thing and was messing around with it for one of their Athena-2 Launches (1999).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The moved the actual Vehicle Assembly Building?  Wow!  I didn't know they could do that.   Cool.

Link Posted: 6/15/2021 2:19:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 2:22:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 3:04:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Late to the thread, but they did an 8 minute Green Run at Stennis back in March. It was the second test (first ended prematurely) and once GR was a success, it allowed the rocket to be barged to Kennedy.

I'm not sure the distance from the test stand in the video, but Stennis has at least 3 miles of clear area in all directions in case of issues.

SLS Green Run #2 - NASA Successfully Fires RS-25 Main Engines for 8 Minutes
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 3:09:10 PM EDT
[#30]

FWIW - Boeing is on a Cost Plus contract and they're pretty good at ensuring there are 87 layers of cost. Boeing pulled work we were doing on a Firm Fixed Priced program and moved it to their Cost Plus, go figure.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 3:25:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Damn big place.
Big rocket too.
Is the VAB tall enough to stack starship?
Looking at camparisons while the target mass capability of sls vs starship are similar starship is just huge in volume. Just the starship part is 3/4 the height and slightly larger diameter of the sls core.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 3:45:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This is the only Artemis that will ever see completion...

Attachment Attached File

View Quote
I tried to listen to that book but could not get into it. I got The Martian for free the other day (although regrettably it's the version narrated by Wil Wheaton) and I did pickup his new book that is seemingly perfect based on the reviews but I guess we'll see how this one turns out.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 3:47:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You underestimate the power of pork.  You think the inherent superiority of the Starship will make the SLS look silly and be canceled before Block 1b.

It will make it look silly and it will linger on for at least a half-decade and likely a decade.  You think results actually matter to congress.  It’s doing what they want it to do which is spread money and doing it to perfection.
View Quote

The EUS is at least 5 years away, IIRC
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 6:57:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Not a "bail out" per se, since Bezos is just pumping billions of his own personal money into Blue Origin.  I don't believe Blue Origin has ever actually made any money, so they have ALWAYS been in the red.

Basically, it's just Bezos saying that he'd rather be spending billions of YOUR (taxpayer) money on his own pet hobby company, than spending billions of his own personal money.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can someone please tell me whether or not this money to Jeff who is actually a "bail out"

I don't think BO is on the verge of bankruptcy.

Isn't this just congress funding HLS?

Not a "bail out" per se, since Bezos is just pumping billions of his own personal money into Blue Origin.  I don't believe Blue Origin has ever actually made any money, so they have ALWAYS been in the red.

Basically, it's just Bezos saying that he'd rather be spending billions of YOUR (taxpayer) money on his own pet hobby company, than spending billions of his own personal money.

Its not even billions for Bezos.  Its for the HLS program as a whole which means Space X, BO, Grumman, and LockMart.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NET is already Nov 4th. Unless something BIG goes wrong.  Shes goin this year and Artemis II's core will be finished by then.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 7:10:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 7:31:37 PM EDT
[#37]
While I have my doubts, I suspect nasa will get this one off the ground before year end too, and I suspect it will fly the heavy lift version at least once for the James webb telescope, there's too much running on hubbles replacement to stop it.

after that though? why bother, SLS is doomed to be one of those niche items that were quickly obsoleted by superior designs.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 7:34:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I want to believe, and I hope you are right.
View Quote
There will be some testing things before then of course.  They are going to roll her out for a dry dress rehearsal, roll her back, check data and launch vehicle, roll back out, wet dress rehearsal, then launch.

If launch date gets pushed back to January 2022 I would be surprised.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 7:35:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
While I have my doubts, I suspect nasa will get this one off the ground before year end too, and I suspect it will fly the heavy lift version at least once for the James webb telescope, there's too much running on hubbles replacement to stop it.

after that though? why bother, SLS is doomed to be one of those niche items that were quickly obsoleted by superior designs.
View Quote

JWST is already starting its journey to be put on one of the sketchiest rockets available right now: Arianne V.  In reality, it should be on an Atlas V Centaur.   Why? Because ULA and Tory Bruno are the shit.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 7:51:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

They didn’t.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The moved the actual Vehicle Assembly Building?  Wow!  I didn't know they could do that.   Cool.

They didn’t.

This guy thinks it moved.  

He seen it.

Link Posted: 6/15/2021 9:05:20 PM EDT
[#42]
For a government project the real cost will be double to triple the original plan and the schedule extended to double to triple the original estimate.

For SLS those reality multipliers may be higher
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 11:08:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
For a government project the real cost will be double to triple the original plan and the schedule extended to double to triple the original estimate.

For SLS those reality multipliers may be higher
View Quote

oof.

SLS is at 20billion and orion is near 23 bills.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 12:45:07 AM EDT
[#44]
It had been expected that hard mate would be completed by the end of the day on June 22, but work to fully secure the bolted connection was taking longer than anticipated. Ideally the mating surfaces would be perfectly flat, but there is some tolerance for the rings on the LVSA and the Core Stage not completely touching; however, sources noted gaps that were out of tolerance that needed to be addressed.
View Quote

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2021/06/artemis-1-stacking-continues/
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 7:55:19 AM EDT
[#45]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It had been expected that hard mate would be completed by the end of the day on June 22, but work to fully secure the bolted connection was taking longer than anticipated. Ideally the mating surfaces would be perfectly flat, but there is some tolerance for the rings on the LVSA and the Core Stage not completely touching; however, sources noted gaps that were out of tolerance that needed to be addressed.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2021/06/artemis-1-stacking-continues/

That article is a pile of hot garbage, the only part with any truth is poorly explained.

Should make great fuel for the haters though.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:51:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That article is a pile of hot garbage, the only part with any truth is poorly explained.

View Quote

The only thing I hate about the program is the incredible amount of wasted taxpayer funds due to bureaucracy.  We went from hardly having a space program to landing men on the moon in 10yrs.  How long has this program been going?
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The only thing I hate about the program is the incredible amount of wasted taxpayer funds due to bureaucracy.  We went from hardly having a space program to landing men on the moon in 10yrs.  How long has this program been going?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They never funded Ares/Constellation/SLS worth a shit. I'm honestly surprised they have the damn thing mated at this point. All they've done for the last decade is basically fund a joint NASA/Boeing program office to have a bunch of mid/high-level managers have meetings and push CDRL's around and occasionally they get lucky and some hardware/software plops out.
https://www.thespacereview.com/article/3737/1

Link Posted: 6/30/2021 11:24:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

There's lots of better pictures at https://www.flickr.com/photos/nasakennedy/ taken by the professional media guys. Has ISS stuff, space x and Boeing Starliner too. Pretty much all the goings on at KSC.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow!  Great link.  You could get lost in there for hours.  148 pages of cool photos!
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 1:35:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
They never funded Ares/Constellation/SLS worth a shit. I'm honestly surprised they have the damn thing mated at this point. All they've done for the last decade is basically fund a joint NASA/Boeing program office to have a bunch of mid/high-level managers have meetings and push CDRL's around and occasionally they get lucky and some hardware/software plops out.
https://www.thespacereview.com/article/3737/1

https://www.thespacereview.com/archive/3737c.jpg
View Quote

big difference between having an unlimited budget to do the impossible and an existential fear that communism might actually win compared to taking every step to insure maximum profit taken and being ready justifying your actions to powerful senators at every level.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 6:56:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Second stage went up and over to the stack this week.

Media crew has some new pictures posted up

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nasakennedy/
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top