BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 7:19:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep, Webb don’t need it, Arianne 5is it’s ride.

Europa Clipper was supposed to ride SLS but it’s switched to Falcon Heavy.
View Quote

Damn, when did Webb change rockets? Are there any slated payloads for SLS remaining? Contracts are a good measure for flights, no contracts no flights.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 11:22:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Damn, when did Webb change rockets? Are there any slated payloads for SLS remaining? Contracts are a good measure for flights, no contracts no flights.
View Quote
As far as I'm aware Webb was always slated to go up on Ariane.  It was part of the deal when the EU helped fund Webb.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 11:33:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
As far as I'm aware Webb was always slated to go up on Ariane.  It was part of the deal when the EU helped fund Webb.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't remember JWST ever being part of SLS either.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 12:52:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 10:51:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 1:06:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Ya most things will and should go Spacex.

But SLS will definitely have its time in the sun. If Spacex had been working on red dragon SLS/Orion  would be toast.

Alas Spacex isn’t working on any stop gap method between LEO crew dragon and Starship. But starship will need to be “sci fi” levels reliable before humans can land on earth on a starship.

Makes me think NASA/the swamp told him “DO NOT FUCK WITH SLS/ORION OR WE WILL GO TO WAR WITH SPACEX!”

Very convenient how there is nothing even on the board that will compete against SLS/Orion for a while.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 1:40:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ya most things will and should go Spacex.

But SLS will definitely have its time in the sun. If Spacex had been working on red dragon SLS/Orion  would be toast.

Alas Spacex isn’t working on any stop gap method between LEO crew dragon and Starship. But starship will need to be “sci fi” levels reliable before humans can land on earth on a starship.

Makes me think NASA/the swamp told him “DO NOT FUCK WITH SLS/ORION OR WE WILL GO TO WAR WITH SPACEX!”

Very convenient how there is nothing even on the board that will compete against SLS/Orion for a while.
View Quote

Why would you need something in between Crew Dragon and Starship? Sometime else is sure to be willing to pay for a partial load if you can share. It's like a minivan vs a semi, it's not efficient to send a semi half full, but sometimes someone pays you an assload of money to ship a single pallet from A to B and not ask any questions.

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 5:35:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Why would you need something in between Crew Dragon and Starship? Sometime else is sure to be willing to pay for a partial load if you can share. It's like a minivan vs a semi, it's not efficient to send a semi half full, but sometimes someone pays you an assload of money to ship a single pallet from A to B and not ask any questions.

Kharn
View Quote

Not a capacity thing.

Crew rating. Crew rating a starship landing on earth is  a different world than the one we live in now. By the time that happens will capable of having hotels around the moon.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not a capacity thing.

Crew rating. Crew rating a starship landing on earth is  a different world than the one we live in now. By the time that happens will capable of having hotels around the moon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

Not a capacity thing.

I think that's more of a NASA perspective rather than a SpaceX perspective. SpaceX has Crew Dragon and is developing Starship.

NASA has Crew Dragon and the upcoming Starship HLS. They also have Starliner and Dream Chaser with upcoming launches.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not a capacity thing.

View Quote

Why not transfer the crew from the Starship to empty Dragon 2 capsules?

For crewed missions, have the starship rendevouz in earth orbit with a crew dragon carrier.  A "space station" just for staging crew dragons to ferry crew members from the starship down to earth.   Then the starship can do a propulsive landing as per normal.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 12:31:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Why not transfer the crew from the Starship to empty Dragon 2 capsules?

For crewed missions, have the starship rendevouz in earth orbit with a crew dragon carrier.  A "space station" just for staging crew dragons to ferry crew members from the starship down to earth.   Then the starship can do a propulsive landing as per normal.
View Quote

Perfect idea. This is how I see #dearmoon going.

You will need a lot more fuel to slow down and get into a LEO orbit.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 5:25:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Another SLS opened up for Artemis.

Falcon heavy is Yeeting Europa clipper now.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 8:09:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 8:16:29 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/16/2021 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#15]
NASA loaded the flight software onto the computers on SLS last week.  

https://www.nasa.gov/exploration/systems/sls/nasa-moon-rocket-flight-software-readied-for-artemis-i-launch.html

I'm sure we can rely on it being rock solid.  It's not like Boeing has had software issues in the recent past,  right?
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 5:54:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
NASA loaded the flight software onto the computers on SLS last week.  

https://www.nasa.gov/exploration/systems/sls/nasa-moon-rocket-flight-software-readied-for-artemis-i-launch.html

I'm sure we can rely on it being rock solid.  It's not like Boeing has had software issues in the recent past,  right?
View Quote

Yes. I’m afraid the “well if we are super slow then that must mean we haven’t made mistakes right?” Approach might not be as good as advertised.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Bezos is going insane.

He’s going to have Elon assassinated.

Suing in fed court.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 3:23:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Just beat me to it.

You belong to the spacex reddit?
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 5:58:56 PM EDT
[#20]

I was saying that at least 6 months ago.  Can the SRBs stay stacked that long?
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 6:04:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I was saying that at least 6 months ago.  Can the SRBs stay stacked that long?
View Quote

I do not believe with out recertification and I believe that means pulling them apart for inspection.

I bet that's a pita
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I do not believe with out recertification and I believe that means pulling them apart for inspection.

I bet that's a pita
View Quote

Per @Riverswine45 it can be waived.  I'd be shocked if they unstacked them at this point.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Per @Riverswine45 it can be waived.  I'd be shocked if they unstacked them at this point.
View Quote

They'll be fine

Link Posted: 8/31/2021 8:41:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just beat me to it.

You belong to the spacex reddit?
View Quote

Yeah, I think there are at least 3 SpaceX subreddits I follow, but I believe I caught this on twitter.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 8:48:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet that's a pita

So they would want to pull them apart about concern's yet are willing to wave those concern's when similar connections lost a shuttle for the sake of expedience.

Good thing noones gonna be on board.

If that thing tanks it's going to be a collasal fuck up even more than it already has been.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 9:23:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

So they would want to pull them apart about concern's yet are willing to wave those concern's when similar connections lost a shuttle for the sake of expedience.

If that thing tanks it's going to be a collasal fuck up even more than it already has been.
View Quote

The calander has nothing to do with the field joint seals
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 1:56:20 AM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 9/21/2021 3:55:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

When you decide to commit to a design that's already killed 7, why stress over it?
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 8:59:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_vEsPDX0AYFDnV?format=jpg&name=small
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_vEyZ4XMAcpwun?format=jpg&name=small
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_vcpHyXMAMdi9G?format=jpg&name=small
View Quote

OK, now launch it into orbit.

Or do we have to wait another 2 years for that?

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 9:08:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 9:13:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Fun fact:

The orange color on the tanks for SLS, Delta IV, and others is actually cork.

Link Posted: 9/21/2021 9:15:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Fun fact:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DxTKy7OUYAEA1uV.jpg:large
View Quote
What I'm hearing it's potentially a huge bulletin board...

Nick
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 9:20:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Nick
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fun fact:

Nick

You should see what woodpeckers can do to it.

Link Posted: 9/21/2021 10:48:32 AM EDT
[#35]

Untold Stories from the Rocket Ranch: Launch Pad Woodpecker Patrol
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 11:13:45 AM EDT
[#36]
In!
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 1:35:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought the certification of the srbs had a use by date and it's either extend the date or take it apart to inspect the joints.

I mean I could be totally wrong but I thought that was part of the certification process of the rockets.

https://spaceflightnow.com/2021/01/15/nasa-continues-stacking-boosters-for-first-sls-test-flight/

The joints connecting each piece of the five-segment rocket motors are certified for one year once booster stacking begins, a clock that began ticking Jan. 7 with the hoisting of the SLS’s left-hand aft center booster segment on top of the booster’s lowermost piece.

But the 12-month certification limit, a holdover from the space shuttle program, could be extended with an engineering review, according to John Honeycutt, NASA’s Space Launch System program manager at the Marshall Space Flight Center in Alabama.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 3:47:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I thought the certification of the srbs had a use by date and it's either extend the date or take it apart to inspect the joints.

I mean I could be totally wrong but I thought that was part of the certification process of the rockets.

https://spaceflightnow.com/2021/01/15/nasa-continues-stacking-boosters-for-first-sls-test-flight/

View Quote

IM sent
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 8:07:32 PM EDT
[#39]
The head of Human Exporation Kathy Leuders: worked over commercial cargo and commercial crew program, likely the main decider on giving Starship the HLS contract. Might have been THE main right hand woman of bridenstine.

Was essentially just demoted to being head of Human exploration maintenance while an alleged “old space” name Jim Free was just put in charge of Artemis.

Some think this is an old space counter attack to make sure the swamp gets its pork from now on.

Hard not be afraid that.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 11:47:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

IM sent
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IM sent

thx brother..

but the point still stands that a part of that joint failed and smoked a shuttle. I get that it was only one part of that entire joint that caused a failure but the req is that once stacked the SRB is only certified for one year. After one year they either need to give it a pass or pull it apart and re-certify. I'm assuming that failed seal is part of the joint that is inspected.

So yes. They are stacking shit that requires recertification after X amount of months or they need to give it a pass. In the past that joint killed a crew and a vehicle.  So if they are just gonna give it the pass cause of effort im not unhappy there are not humans on that thing.

Im kind of at a loss as to what you are nit picking about.

I did provide a source for the info.. Now granted im not a rocket scientist so maybe im just off in no mans land but id love to understand.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 12:53:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Fun fact:

View Quote

No, no, no.
Cork is a no-go for wine bottles because of deforestation and they're using it on rockets? Good fucking luck with that environmentalimpact statement.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 12:55:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

thx brother..

but the point still stands that a part of that joint failed and smoked a shuttle. I get that it was only one part of that entire joint that caused a failure but the req is that once stacked the SRB is only certified for one year. After one year they either need to give it a pass or pull it apart and re-certify. I'm assuming that failed seal is part of the joint that is inspected.

So yes. They are stacking shit that requires recertification after X amount of months or they need to give it a pass. In the past that joint killed a crew and a vehicle.  So if they are just gonna give it the pass cause of effort im not unhappy there are not humans on that thing.

I did provide a source for the info.. Now granted im not a rocket scientist so maybe im just off in no mans land but id love to understand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IM sent

thx brother..

"Engineering review" could be a paper drill.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:04:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

thx brother..

View Quote

@delemorte

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2020/11/egs-jacobs-vehicle-integration-artemis-1/

Attachment Attached File

A J-leg feature of the case-to-case field joints is built into the insulation of the motor segments; once the case-to-case field joints are mated, the J-leg has about a twelve-month stack life. That “clock” would start with the first segment-to-segment stacking when one of the aft-center segments is mated to an aft booster assembly.
The ten motor segments at the heart of the SLS Boosters are built from Space Shuttle SRB case hardware; the reusable cases will make one last flight on the expendable SLS vehicle, and they also retain the Shuttle’s factory and field joint design. The J-leg case-to-case field joint feature is one of several design improvements made to the Shuttle boosters after the original field joint design failed in the STS-51L disaster in January 1986.
View Quote

Propellant movement over time from being vertical is what would effect the J joint that is part of the insulation that the propellant is bonded to. Shuttle days would have segments in storage vertical for lengths of time well before stacking ops. These were rotated vertical and stacked almost without delay meaning they have been vertical for less time than usual processing in the past even though it will still be 12 months since the last look.

The joint that failed was different structurally and the insulation didn't have a J joint, just zink puddy packed in the gap. The J joint seals tighter as chamber pressure increases. Any flex in the case will close the capture feature tang and oring tighter blocking the path to the primary oring, the capture feature tang was not part of the original case structure that had failed. The primary and secondary orings that had failed in the original design are still part of the new design and would be discarded and replaced with new ones if they decide to destack.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 4:49:19 PM EDT
[#44]
NET January 2022. Womp womp.

Eric Berger right again.

Link Posted: 10/12/2021 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Bump.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 5:20:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Orion rolls to the VAB tonight. Live stream starts around 7pm but I don't think it rolls out till like midnight.

Link Posted: 10/18/2021 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
NASA has Crew Dragon and the upcoming Starship HLS. They also have Starliner and Dream Chaser with upcoming launches.
View Quote

Starliner is a huge failure to date.  I would not put three people in it for several flights.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 5:06:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Starliner is a huge failure to date.  I would not put three people in it for several flights.
View Quote

I’m so so pro Starliner becoming a solid provider. We need two. We need competition.

But fuck man. Any issue and Boeing delays it like a fucking year.

I think they are dragging their feet and wish they could cancel it.

FUCK BOEING.

Does anyone want to fucking play Pepsi to Spacex’s Coke? It’s right there! Just fucking try. Everyone is just gonna fiddle with their thumbs? Boeing, Blue Origin? Why isn’t Lockheed doing a new Skunkwerks project on it?

Just try.

ETA: Bezos legit has enough money to fund two landers competitively and only fund one to finality without hurting his bottom line. Really. I just don’t get it. Complete power vacuum in moon and mars lander right now. The future is just sitting there. Only Spacex is even going to try?
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 5:59:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I’m so so pro Starliner becoming a solid provider. We need two. We need competition.
View Quote

This is where I am, even if it only to keep SpaceX on its toes.

I also like that Starliner lands on land and not at sea from an orbital re-entry.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

But fuck man. Any issue and Boeing delays it like a fucking year.

I think they are dragging their feet and wish they could cancel it.

FUCK BOEING.

Does anyone want to fucking play Pepsi to Spacex’s Coke? It’s right there! Just fucking try. Everyone is just gonna fiddle with their thumbs? Boeing, Blue Origin? Why isn’t Lockheed doing a new Skunkwerks project on it?

Just try.

ETA: Bezos legit has enough money to fund two landers competitively and only fund one to finality without hurting his bottom line. Really. I just don’t get it. Complete power vacuum in moon and mars lander right now. The future is just sitting there. Only Spacex is even going to try?
View Quote

Competition is good and there are a few companies that might viably compete with SpaceX in the future. Specifically Rocket Lab and Relativity Aerospace. But Rocket Lab's manned rocket project isn't that big and is at best 4 years away from first flight. No idea when Relativity is going to try to put a payload in orbit. But I wish them the best of luck.

Boeing had the keys to the kingdom and fell asleep. Not just in rocketry. If they had any common sense ULA or Northrop Grumman would be working on a reusable rocket right now, but noooooo.

It's beyond, "they should be ashamed of themselves." Now we are well into, "you're costing me money!!!"
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top