Page / 12
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 2:08:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Those Russian engines do that.
View Quote

*SRBs

Atlas V 551 (5 SRBs) has liftoff acceleration in the 2.5G range. The 0 SRB variant takes off at like 1.2Gs.

SRBs can have stupid high thrust, but they have low efficiency (ISP)
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 2:09:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Yeahh no, spacex's super heavy booster isn't going to be putting starship into orbit by the end of July,

The only way Elon can beat SLS is if there's another large delay by nasa.

i can see solo booster test flights by then, probably with less engines since no starship Ontop.

Now if SLS's first test flight's a mass simulator then starship could beat SLS in first commercial payload to orbit. You can bet musk's more than willing to throw in a load of star link satellites as soon as he thinks he can.

SLS is going to have a narrow window of viability as a heavy lift platform, (a few years tops) until repeated flights and eventual crew certification on starship super heavy blows them out of the vacuum on price per pound by about three orders of magnitude.
View Quote

SLS' first flight is pushing an Orion capsule and service module out to lunar orbit for testing. Artemis 2 will be a crewed version of that test. Supposedly they are going to go to 280,000 miles which is a good ways past the moon and the furthest a human has ever gone.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 2:09:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 2:13:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That was my impression as well.  (I'm not an expert on any of this ... but I watched a couple of Youtube videos by apparently smart people after the contract was awarded).

What I took away from it was that the Dynetics design literally cannot work, and the Blue Origin/OldSpace proposal was basically "here's our lander design, but we're planning to change everything about it to a completely different design.  We promise it will work"

... and both were WAAAAYYY more expensive than SpaceX.  Blue Original around twice as much, and Dynetics apparently even higher.  
View Quote

The BO/National Team also violated rules of the competition so...

One big thing too... BO still has one rocket system. Theres no reason to choose them as they havent delivered anything to the orbital launch market.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

SLS' first flight is pushing an Orion capsule and service module out to lunar orbit for testing. Artemis 2 will be a crewed version of that test. Supposedly they are going to go to 280,000 miles which is a good ways past the moon and the furthest a human has ever gone.
View Quote

Both Artemis 1/2 will be super exciting to watch.

I just hope Artemis 1 has a fully fleshed out Orion capsule and not some empty hulk.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 6:49:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The BO/National Team also violated rules of the competition so...

One big thing too... BO still has one rocket system. Theres no reason to choose them as they havent delivered anything to the orbital launch market.
View Quote

I wonder if that's why it seems all of a sudden BO is opening the New Shepard for crewed launches. Build trust and some positive PR showing your company can safely get humans into space (not orbit though). Show that Blue Origin IS a player in the space game and should be part of the conversation, and not just because they're backed by the richest man on the planet.

There's definitely some trust and positive PR built by SpaceX launching cargo and crew to the ISS.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Do people really believe that the different versions is SLS will come to be?

Dispensable rs-25s actually being cheaper?

Different cargo configs coming in on time and anywhere near budget?

Redesigned SRBs ever seeing a launch?

They toss around big numbers for never have leaving the ground yet.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 6:53:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Both Artemis 1/2 will be super exciting to watch.

I just hope Artemis 1 has a fully fleshed out Orion capsule and not some empty hulk.
View Quote

I don't know what fleshed out is.

This Orion isn't an empty hulk but... since there are only instrumented dummies on this flight that have no arms there are no switch/controls or instrument panels for them to interface with. The flight computers are there and it will have a bunch of science experiments that will be packed before launch.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 8:28:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

SLS might will probably be useful for around ~4-10 flights. They need to just calm down and not spend anymore money.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 8:28:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/19/2021 8:32:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I don't know what fleshed out is.

This Orion isn't an empty hulk but... since there are only instrumented dummies on this flight that have no arms there are no switch/controls or instrument panels for them to interface with. The flight computers are there and it will have a bunch of science experiments that will be packed before launch.
View Quote

Most of the PDUs are functional as well
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 8:43:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Most of the PDUs are functional as well
View Quote

Well most, give er take a channel maybe
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 8:58:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Doesn't need heat shielding, to do a flip and so on but still... 30 or so raptor engines? That's not something to take too lightly.
View Quote
They do 27 when they launch a Falcon Heavy.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 1:28:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Core stage for Artemis II is being assembled

Link Posted: 5/19/2021 1:44:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Barely.

That’s FH in a fully expendable config. And that may never happen with such a tiny payload volume.

Also when a Super Heavy class includes 60t FH and SLS 95t, Starship 100-150ton, and Saturn V 140ton maybe we need another class.

GIGA class?
CHAD class?
Saturn class?
View Quote

Elon Class, duh.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 1:50:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Why go to the moon? Mars or bust. Hopefully the Chinese will start talking about a manned Mars mission and light a fire under NASA.
But seriously what's the point of going back to the moon?
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 2:42:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 3:00:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Why go to the moon? Mars or bust. Hopefully the Chinese will start talking about a manned Mars mission and light a fire under NASA.
View Quote

There's a metric fuckton of reasons why. The most obvious one being that as a civilization we haven't landed on another world in decades and many technologies need to be tested first. If something goes awry then it is much easier to try to rescue someone off the moon than to try to rescue them from Mars.

The Martian should not be viewed as or become a documentary.

Also...

Link Posted: 5/19/2021 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I don’t really understand that myself either.  A long line of administrations have been promising that we’d be going to Mars ... so I am not really sure where/when the “let’s go back to the moon and repeat stuff we already did in the 60s and 70s” came from.  

If it wasn’t for various gov/NASA contracts related to the moon, I wonder if SpaceX would actually be interested in the moon, or would be focusing directly on Mars.
View Quote

Pretty sure spacex would skip the moon because a Lunaship is entirely off the beaten path for mars/earth designed ships.

We are going to the moon because (I’m sorry) NASA human exploration hasn’t done Jack shit new for 20-50 years.

And mars is far far more difficult+ more years away than a moon expedition.

We gotta practice and show the nation that cool shit can happen. That NASA can capture the imagination of the world. Plenty of shit left to do on the moon. M

Plenty of new shit to do, risks to take on the moon and new shit to try out while ‘home’ is only 3 days away. Mars mistakes will be death sentences.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 3:24:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 3:30:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Elon should land a whole crew of women and POC on his own. Just to take that milestone away from NASA.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 4:24:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I guess I have become somewhat jaded and skeptical.

I agree that it would be cool and awesome to build a permanent base on the moon, and to develop all sorts of technologies - like mining, resource extraction, manufacturing, etc. ... that could be useful on Mars.

But I am not convinced it is going to happen.  As far as I can tell, NASA's mission now seems to be that they want to put "a woman" on the moon, so they can say they did it.  From their website, their goal is very clear:  "During the Artemis program, NASA will land the first woman and first person of color on the Moon,

Then there's a lot of vague talk and "maybes" and "possibles" about a base and a permanent presence, so that we can eventually go to Mars ...that sounds about as credible and likely as when Bush I said we were going to Mars, and when Clinton said we were going to Mars, etc.  

Elon Musk might be borderline crazy, but he has a VERY CLEAR goal and reason for going to Mars.  It's not so we can check a box, or for bragging rights ... it's for eventual colonization.  That is what is driving his program - a clear outcome.

I am not sure I understand what NASA's actual goal/plan for the moon is, or what the outcome is - beyond just being able to say they out a woman on the moon.  
View Quote
NASA is beholden to Congress.

Congress is loath to fund anything risky or cool or actually beneficial to humanity.  

So if I were NASA I'd be trying to trick Congress into funding the lift capacity needed to do a bunch of cool stuff by using limited initial political goals as bate.  And like how the JPL rovers on Mars are made for an initial 90 day mission... and then get mission extensions for years... Since we have the capabilities and are already here might as well do these other things now too.

I'm not saying that's what they're actually doing as I don't think there's anyone with enough authority and organizational skill to work around and behind the back of the various NASA administrators that get assigned every 4-8 years...
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 4:50:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
NASA is beholden to Congress.

Congress is loath to fund anything risky or cool or actually beneficial to humanity.  

So if I were NASA I'd be trying to trick Congress into funding the lift capacity needed to do a bunch of cool stuff by using limited initial political goals as bate.  And like how the JPL rovers on Mars are made for an initial 90 day mission... and then get mission extensions for years... Since we have the capabilities and are already here might as well do these other things now too.

I'm not saying that's what they're actually doing as I don't think there's anyone with enough authority and organizational skill to work around and behind the back of the various NASA administrators that get assigned every 4-8 years...
View Quote

NASA is already doing that by solely funding starship and saying”fund us more if you want the rest of the swamp in it.”
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 4:57:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

To build a base and kill fucking commies on the moon. duh.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Elon should land a whole crew of women and POC on his own. Just to take that milestone away from NASA.
View Quote

A whole binders' worth...
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I guess I have become somewhat jaded and skeptical.

I agree that it would be cool and awesome to build a permanent base on the moon, and to develop all sorts of technologies - like mining, resource extraction, manufacturing, etc. ... that could be useful on Mars.

But I am not convinced it is going to happen.  As far as I can tell, NASA’s mission now seems to be that they want to put “a woman” on the moon, so they can say they did it.  From their website, their goal is very clear:  “During the Artemis program, NASA will land the first woman and first person of color on the Moon,

Then there’s a lot of vague talk and “maybes” and “possibles” about a base and a permanent presence, so that we can eventually go to Mars ...that sounds about as credible and likely as when Bush I said we were going to Mars, and when Clinton said we were going to Mars, etc.  

Elon Musk might be borderline crazy, but he has a VERY CLEAR goal and reason for going to Mars.  It’s not so we can check a box, or for bragging rights ... it’s for eventual colonization.  That is what is driving his program - a clear outcome.

I am not sure I understand what NASA’s actual goal/plan for the moon is, or what the outcome is - beyond just being able to say they out a woman on the moon.  
View Quote

Also this is Mars for us right now.

How little experience we have+ how risk averse NASA/congress is + AOC/commie part of congress hate human exploration and American exceptionalism=

Minimum ten years development time. Pork barrel projects because having two competitors is ‘too expensive’, over build every single screw and develop the most conservative underwhelming architecture with the porkiest pork contracts.

We’d get mired down and cancelled 4 years in.

The moon is ‘right’ fucking there. We are a lander away. The die is cast. We bought the groceries. It’s moon or literally bust. They might CANCEL human space flight if we go another ten years doing fuck all on the ISS.

We need some momentum and some organic tech development of real space companies.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 5:45:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Also this is Mars for us right now.

How little experience we have+ how risk averse NASA/congress is + AOC/commie part of congress hate human exploration and American exceptionalism=

Minimum ten years development time. Pork barrel projects because having two competitors is ‘too expensive’, over build every single screw and develop the most conservative underwhelming architecture with the porkiest pork contracts.

We’d get mired down and cancelled 4 years in.

The moon is ‘right’ fucking there. We are a lander away. The die is cast. We bought the groceries. It’s moon or literally bust. They might CANCEL human space flight if we go another ten years doing fuck all on the ISS.

We need some momentum and some organic tech development of real space companies.
View Quote

Moon base would be good for figuring out how humans/animals/plants adapt to low-G vs. zero G. Zero-G is pretty well understood now.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 6:13:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Didn't he win the contract to do just that?
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 6:35:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think there's a lot to be learned and re-learned in going to the moon that will prep humanity for Mars. I see no problem with some moon trial-runs as long as the focus is getting to Mars.

It wouldn't surprise me if that's why SpaceX is investing in the moon.

Plus if fuel and/or oxidizer can be made on the moon it's could make refueling before leaving for Mars cheaper or easier.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I think there's a lot to be learned and re-learned in going to the moon that will prep humanity for Mars. I see no problem with some moon trial-runs as long as the focus is getting to Mars.

Plus if fuel and/or oxidizer can be made on the moon it's could make refueling before leaving for Mars cheaper or easier.
View Quote

Between NASA and the Space Force, the USA should be spending 1-2% of GDP on space. Go ahead and take it right out of the military budget. Playing "World Police" is a waste of fucking money anyway.

It's the ultimate high ground. It will decide who is the next superpower for the next few centuries (or more).
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 6:40:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Currently being protested.

Since they had to go and get all litigious and we have previous experiences like the KC46 contract to work from this probably won't be settled until after a lunar colony is established.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 9:36:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Between NASA and the Space Force, the USA should be spending 1-2% of GDP on space. Go ahead and take it right out of the military budget. Playing "World Police" is a waste of fucking money anyway.

It's the ultimate high ground. It will decide who is the next superpower for the next few centuries (or more).
View Quote

Space force Is so we can invest in spaceships and rockets without congress thinking it’s going to any of that faggy science stuff and that’s still all porkfilled mill/ind complex shit.

‘This is the way’
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 9:42:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Space force is so we can invest in spaceships and rockets without congress thinking it’s going to any of that faggy science stuff and that’s still all porkfilled mill/ind complex shit.

‘This is the way’
View Quote

This kind of pork?

Attachment Attached File

Generally I don't like to admit that I once watched Family Guy. But this feels like a necessary evil.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 7:26:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Since they had to go and get all litigious and we have previous experiences like the KC46 contract to work from this probably won't be settled until after a lunar colony is established.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, I know.

Protest aside. The plan has been since the RFP went out for a private company to build and operate the HLS. NASA wasn't looking for someone to build and transfer to them a HLS. Since space x is the only one that can realistically pull it off, the first woke steps on the moon already belong to them.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 8:45:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's definitely an area of concern and interest. AFRL has an RFI out right now asking for info on cislunar capabilities. DARPA's looking at some things too. NASA's going to put out an acquisition for a variety of communications, PNT, and data services around the moon too.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 8:47:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GAO has 100 days to decide on a protest. If they protest outside the GAO the lengths can vary though. I don't know off the top of my head who is handling the protest(s) though.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 2:39:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Boeing: expanding the envelope

Link Posted: 5/20/2021 2:43:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Blue Origin's protest:

"It's not fair that the $250,000 semi truck beat our $600,000 motorcycle+sidecar!"
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 2:46:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Boeing: expanding the envelope

View Quote
Augustine's Law XXIII: Any task can be completed in only one-third more time than is currently estimated.
Augustine's Law XXV: A revised schedule is to business what a new season is to an athlete or a new canvas to an artist.
Augustine's Law XXVI: If a sufficient number of management layers are superimposed on each other, it can be assured that disaster is not left to chance.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 5:47:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't have any faith in SLS.  Did the cost numbers years ago and it has incredibly expensive kg-to-orbit cost and is not useful for the existing commercial space market.

Took a hard pass on working the program.  Sort of surprised it is still going... slightly more practical than the "single stage to orbit" program... but that's not saying much.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 11:53:26 AM EDT
[#42]
SpaceX’s NASA Starship contract safe for now as Blue Origin looks to Congress

"Fresh off of a major contract loss during a competition to build NASA’s next crewed Moon lander, Blue Origin has begun aggressively lobbying Congress for the contract NASA didn’t give it.

Thankfully, albeit not at first, a modification has been made to an amendment first proposed by a Senator that has long pursued favorable treatment of Blue Origin that will prevent that legislation – if it passes – from unfairly interrupting the $2.9 billion contract NASA already awarded SpaceX. Announced on April 16th, that award came as a shock, effectively cementing SpaceX’s lunar Starship as both the cheapest and most technically sound proposal to return humanity to the Moon.

In memos to Congress, SpaceX says a proposed amendment on the HLS contract would award “Jeff Bezos with a $10 billion sole-source hand-out.” Blue Origin responds: “What is Elon Musk afraid of … a little competition?” Inside the lunar lander fight.https://t.co/WfeGTLcZ3w"

Opinion:   Answered by this post:

Quoted:
Blue Origin's protest:

"It's not fair that the $250,000 semi truck beat our $600,000 motorcycle+sidecar!"
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 11:59:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
SpaceX's NASA Starship contract safe for now as Blue Origin looks to Congress

"Fresh off of a major contract loss during a competition to build NASA's next crewed Moon lander, Blue Origin has begun aggressively lobbying Congress for the contract NASA didn't give it.

Thankfully, albeit not at first, a modification has been made to an amendment first proposed by a Senator that has long pursued favorable treatment of Blue Origin that will prevent that legislation  if it passes  from unfairly interrupting the $2.9 billion contract NASA already awarded SpaceX. Announced on April 16th, that award came as a shock, effectively cementing SpaceX's lunar Starship as both the cheapest and most technically sound proposal to return humanity to the Moon.

In memos to Congress, SpaceX says a proposed amendment on the HLS contract would award "Jeff Bezos with a $10 billion sole-source hand-out." Blue Origin responds: "What is Elon Musk afraid of  a little competition?" Inside the lunar lander fight.https://t.co/WfeGTLcZ3w"

View All Quotes
Quoted:

"Fresh off of a major contract loss during a competition to build NASA's next crewed Moon lander, Blue Origin has begun aggressively lobbying Congress for the contract NASA didn't give it.

Thankfully, albeit not at first, a modification has been made to an amendment first proposed by a Senator that has long pursued favorable treatment of Blue Origin that will prevent that legislation  if it passes  from unfairly interrupting the $2.9 billion contract NASA already awarded SpaceX. Announced on April 16th, that award came as a shock, effectively cementing SpaceX's lunar Starship as both the cheapest and most technically sound proposal to return humanity to the Moon.

In memos to Congress, SpaceX says a proposed amendment on the HLS contract would award "Jeff Bezos with a $10 billion sole-source hand-out." Blue Origin responds: "What is Elon Musk afraid of  a little competition?" Inside the lunar lander fight.https://t.co/WfeGTLcZ3w"

Quoted:
Blue Origin's protest:

I was surprised but not shocked that SpaceX won. Dynetics was in the lead as the team to beat for HLS. I wonder how much the Leidos acquisition of Dynetics fucked their final bid pricing and risk though. Blue Origin has absolutely no past performance to show they can even remotely attempt to do something of the scale and complexity of the HLS. While a GAO protest is pretty standard operating procedure for any large/key programs like this the incessant whining and trying to get a sole source by Blue Origin is pretty fucking lame.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 6:37:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I was surprised but not shocked that SpaceX won. Dynetics was in the lead as the team to beat for HLS. I wonder how much the Leidos acquisition of Dynetics fucked their final bid pricing and risk though. Blue Origin has absolutely no past performance to show they can even remotely attempt to do something of the scale and complexity of the HLS. While a GAO protest is pretty standard operating procedure for any large/key programs like this the incessant whining and trying to get a sole source by Blue Origin is pretty fucking lame.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Blue Origin's protest:

Link Posted: 5/25/2021 8:30:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I don't have any faith in SLS.  Did the cost numbers years ago and it has incredibly expensive kg-to-orbit cost and is not useful for the existing commercial space market.

Took a hard pass on working the program.  Sort of surprised it is still going... slightly more practical than the "single stage to orbit" program... but that's not saying much.
View Quote

Can you tell me how bad venturestar was?

Everything I heard was it was busy being an asshole and Lockheed was ‘this’ close to getting it done.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 9:07:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Can you tell me how bad venturestar was?

Everything I heard was it was busy being an asshole and Lockheed was ‘this’ close to getting it done.
View Quote

A close friend of mine worked x-33. The tank design turned into a huge issue. Composite tank wasn't working. They could have used a metal tank and flown easily. That wasn't what the customer wanted. In order to make the requirement for the tank, redesign was required since it wouldn't fit the vehicle and a standoff of who was going to pay for it got the program killed.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 9:15:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

A close friend of mine worked x-33. The tank design turned into a huge issue. Composite tank wasn't working. They could have used a metal tank and flown easily. That wasn't what the customer wanted. In order to make the requirement for the tank, redesign was required since it wouldn't fit the vehicle and a standoff of who was going to pay for it got the program killed.
View Quote

Charles DeGaulle once said "Brazil is the country of the future.... and always will be!". Composites are in roughly the same boat, IMHO. I breathed a big sigh of relief when SpaceX chose stainless steel over composites for the BFR.

SSTOs are generally a losing proposition mathematically in Earth's gravity well though.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 10:56:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

But see that tells me we really were ‘this’ close to getting a fully reusable crew capable SSTO in the 00’s. That would have been cool.

Also in the spacex Reddit’s I mentioned that Bernie was a commie and got downvote nuked like crazy.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 11:31:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can think of two good reasons:

1)  We have to build (or re-build) the infrastructure both in terms of industry and talent to support a Mars mission.  If we really want to do more than just plant a flag on Mars, then we need to build a true Space Industrial Complex and those costs have to be endemic to the Federal budget in the same way that our military is.  Establishing a permanent presence on the moon and getting good at making regular round trips serves that goal.  You need kids in high school today to start being sucked in to career paths to that end so that 10-15 years from now, we have talent pool available to support going to Mars.  You need companies to recognize that there may be an ongoing several hundred billion dollar market in space to encourage them to make the investments in plants, property and equipment.  Kind of like what SpaceX is doing now in Texas on their own dime but taken ALL the way down the supply chain.  SpaceX may be forward looking but most companies need dollars and goals dangled out in front of them to start making those investments.

All of the industry, people, and technology that gets developed to support a permanent presence on the moon will ultimately only make a Mars mission more robust.

2)  It's a national security issue and ultra long term cultural priority.  As far as I know, there will only ever be one moon in orbit around Earth and there may only be one chance to establish a first mover advantage.  I know this is far out and it may be difficult to rationalize any benefits of devoting a permanent presence to the moon BUT I am also aware from history that both the Louisiana purchase and buying Alaska from Russia were considered follies at the time in certain circles.

I'd rather we move in the direction of owning that rock first and then having the luxury of deciding it's importance later.  Nothing says ownership quite like possession not matter what "official" treaties dictate.

I'd be happy to be wrong, but it is my opinion that most people greatly underestimate the timeline to get to Mars and what it will take.  I honestly think we won't see boots on the ground on Mars until long after going to the Moon is routine, Earth launches are damn near daily, and the ISS is a quaint obsolete structure in orbit compared to newer larger stations that are built with a reliance on super heavy launch vehicles like Starship or SLS.

Link Posted: 5/25/2021 11:35:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

EUS is being built so..
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top