Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:29:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Does this mean that SEALS are not aloud to possess firearms, or do they just bypass all the 4473 nonsense?

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:32:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There you go.  But everyone's going to get a case of the vapors over it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From Task & Purpose:

Salata told Task & Purpose that in November 2016, the Navy conducted a “no-notice sweep” of all 6,364 Naval Special Warfare units returning to their posts from Thanksgiving — a sweep that returned only seven positives for drug use.
0.1% is hardly widespread IMO. The Navy overall had a 0.2% rate of substance abuse.

http://taskandpurpose.com/navy-seals-drug-use-cbs-report/?utm_content=tp-facebook&utm_campaign=news&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social
There you go.  But everyone's going to get a case of the vapors over it.
So the article is bullshit in the face of actual data.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:33:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Pain management drugs?
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:39:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Ain't just the seals.    In southern pines bars outside of fort Bragg where most of the teams folks frequent, the locals are good at spotting when "X" number of delta and the like are in the bar and drugs/booze are likely to incite a good old fashioned fist fight

The smart locals leave, but no one says anything.  Most would probably think just like myself that they are partying hard cause they work hard.   I think putting your life on the line takes all types and all kinds of solutions to deal with the demons

Hope the higher ups get the guys the help they need

I couldn't even try out to be a seal without PEDs and a penis enlargement so I can't blame em.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:40:37 AM EDT
[#5]
5 SEALs out of 900 = 0.55%

Yeah, those are just the ones caught so far.  But does that = rampant drug abuse?
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:42:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not really.  I think it's more the whole SF/so world.  There was the same thing in the SF world.
These guys are pushing the limits of their bodies and their bodies can't handle it so drugs come into play.  Whether it be PEDs or pain killers.
View Quote
Uh, no.

You came up hot on a piss test in the SF/Army SMU world you are gone.  Return to Unit, clearance suspended or lost, Bar to Reenlistment.  Now.  No argument, no negotiation, no "Muh Feels."  Black Chinook (TM) comes and takes you away at the speed of thought.

Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:47:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
5 SEALS piss hot, lol.  I remember that weekend 30+ people in my Battalion pissed hot, and that one time 8th Marines had a whole company piss hot on a float.

times are a changing I guess
View Quote
No shit.  One click bait article and people think the whole program is falling apart.

but...but...it's STAGGERING!!!!!!1111
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:49:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Mandatory PowerPoint presentation to the rescue!
View Quote
I know...

The .mil loves those retarded presentations.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:58:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A sign of the decay and rot spreading throughout the Western World.

Its happened before, will happen again.
View Quote
Is this you?

Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:02:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Meh, a few out of a thousand.
From what I've seen it's an Improvement from days gone bye.
Give em a hand up.
God bless the frogman.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:03:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't understand those saying this is ok here.  Smoked a lot of pot in my youth.  Tried cocain, mushrooms, LSD, speed, etc, before and after the Army.  

But not when I was in the Rangers.  No fucking way.  Never even crossed my mind.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:07:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
5 SEALs out of 900 = 0.55%

Yeah, those are just the ones caught so far.  But does that = rampant drug abuse?
View Quote
Well, it's almost 20 times better than the general population of the US.

From 2013, but I doubt much has changed.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:23:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:26:17 AM EDT
[#15]
We are talking about drug use, not PED's.

Drug use can make them susceptible to blackmail or coercion and is a security risk.  Needs to be addressed pronto.

Of course that community likes to write books about every fucking op they do so theres that......
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:27:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

So the article is bullshit in the face of actual data.  
View Quote
This was in between Anti Trump hit pieces.

Got to mix it up a bit.

That being said it is beyond ridiculous that combat arms guy do not have access to Doc supervised PEDs.

Would reduce disability and pain issues with about zero downside.

As another side note it probably is less harmful to smoke a joint than down a 5th of vodka.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:27:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Those guys have always known how to party. I don't know why anyone would be surprised people under that much pressure relieve it the same way the rest of the human race does.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:35:07 AM EDT
[#18]
id bet a seal team is like any other professional high stress team. ( NFL, NBA etc )  ( not that its the same, but you get the idea , lots of stress to perform )  SUPER stress to be 100% at all times. I could easily see that getting people to look for " performance enhancements" .  or having issues from things you have done / seen, sending you looking for something to help you sleep, your nerves etc.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:38:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Pain management drugs?
View Quote
A good friend of mine is an active duty SEAL, he told me that no opiates are allowed, period.  He's active duty right now.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:42:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Does this mean that SEALS are not aloud to possess firearms, or do they just bypass all the 4473 nonsense?

A.W.D.
View Quote
Please don't think things like that.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:49:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Uh, no.

You came up hot on a piss test in the SF/Army SMU world you are gone.  Return to Unit, clearance suspended or lost, Bar to Reenlistment.  Now.  No argument, no negotiation, no "Muh Feels."  Black Chinook (TM) comes and takes you away at the speed of thought.

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member2557e.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not really.  I think it's more the whole SF/so world.  There was the same thing in the SF world.
These guys are pushing the limits of their bodies and their bodies can't handle it so drugs come into play.  Whether it be PEDs or pain killers.
Uh, no.

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member2557e.png
Yeah, the Ranger Regiment isn't exactly known for lax standards, either...  
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:54:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That being said it is beyond ridiculous that combat arms guy do not have access to Doc supervised PEDs.

Would reduce disability and pain issues with about zero downside.
View Quote
Injecting perfectly functioning endocrine system with massive amounts of steroids or other drugs and you think there's zero downsides?

Bodybuilders go down that route, and lose their natural testosterone production at an early age. Say hello for TRT for life. Plenty of people that experiment and their balls shrivel up to nothing while they do their "cycle." Then they need therapy to get it back, and if they're lucky it may return to normal.

Nobody with functioning testicles should get testosterone injections. Its just as bad as the doctors handing out pain killers like its candy. Can't believe some people refuse to accept this. You can't just go injetcting massive hormones for months at a time and expect not to have consequences.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:01:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Crazy notion, but has anyone considered the option of putting these guys under a legit MD supervised PED regimen?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  My personal experience is way outdated, and PED science has advanced light years.  It would be stupid for me to even venture a guess, but I have to imagine the numbers have trended up and not down.
Crazy notion, but has anyone considered the option of putting these guys under a legit MD supervised PED regimen?
What, and undermine the war on drugs?
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:02:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
We let guys in stay in in regular line units for similar after a little punishment and going to ASAP. It isn't actually easy to kick someone out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From the article "One SEAL who had tested positive for cocaine last summer tested positive again, this time for prescription drugs. He is being kicked off the teams."
How the fuck do you stay in the Navy after pissing hot for cocaine, let alone stay in the Seal community?
That's just a giant WTF for me.
We let guys in stay in in regular line units for similar after a little punishment and going to ASAP. It isn't actually easy to kick someone out.
Lol, hard drug use and a TS clearance are the problem.

Piss test only tests for a couple things, and a random extra one. Lots of people fall through the cracks, and the tighter the unit the more likely dudes are to help each other cheat a piss test.

As for the dudes using a crack head to rationalize hard drug use in SOF
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:05:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Injecting perfectly functioning endocrine system with massive amounts of steroids or other drugs and you think there's zero downsides?

Bodybuilders go down that route, and lose their natural testosterone production at an early age. Say hello for TRT for life. Plenty of people that experiment and their balls shrivel up to nothing while they do their "cycle." Then they need therapy to get it back, and if they're lucky it may return to normal.

Nobody with functioning testicles should get testosterone injections. Its just as bad as the doctors handing out pain killers like its candy. Can't believe some people refuse to accept this. You can't just go injetcting massive hormones for months at a time and expect not to have consequences.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

LOL.

Never suggested "massive amounts of steroids" nor "injetcting massive hormones for months at a time" but I do appreciate your over the top drama lama routine.

There is simply no question that when properly done some PEDs help healing of damaged tissue.

Go get your shoulder repaired surgically and you will be prescribed PEDs to help the healing process.

Proper use of PEDs after the initial shoulder injury might just save you from the surgical repair later in life.

Medical science has sort of come a ways from 1972.

Quoted:

What, and undermine the war on drugs?
Holy shit, I agree with CWG sarcasm.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:10:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Piss test only tests for a couple things, and a random extra one. Lots of people fall through the cracks, and the tighter the unit the more likely dudes are to help each other cheat a piss test.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
From the article "One SEAL who had tested positive for cocaine last summer tested positive again, this time for prescription drugs. He is being kicked off the teams."
How the fuck do you stay in the Navy after pissing hot for cocaine, let alone stay in the Seal community?

Urban legend.  They test for everything.  And the program is inspected regularly from outside those units.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:13:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Per the DSM-5 caffeine is a drug, so pretty much the entire military is using and addicted; welcome to the current state of the MSM.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:15:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am just a cook.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:18:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Urban legend.  They test for everything.  And the program is inspected regularly from outside those units.  
View Quote
So Captain Sands is lying?
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:20:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Huh. Had no idea. the Army definitely feeds that in the upl course.

So SOF dudes have outside of socom dude meat gazing?
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
18Ds look at cock too.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:22:10 AM EDT
[#32]
You've got people that are obviously attracted to, immune to, or immersed in high risk behavior (their job) engaging in high risk behavior outside of the job.

Why is anyone surprised?  I don't mean that as a knock on them at all, but I can sure understand it.

I could definitely see the use of PED's and painkillers as well as other means of injury/mission recovery.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:26:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This was my thought as well.  

Meth or heroin would be quite shocking.  Weed, who cares.  PEDs, well duh.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh.... what drugs are we talking here.

Are they smoking a blunt to relax after a long mission/deployment or are we talking meth/coke/heroin here?

PEDs?

There is a huge definition of the word "drugs" here.

If you need weed to "unwind" after a "long mission", then you are a pussy and shouldn't have that job for failure to adapt.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:28:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

18Ds look at cock too.
View Quote
every enlisted homosexual I served with was a medic.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:28:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know how you could possibly torture that ridiculous statement out of what I said.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You've got people that are obviously attracted to, immune to, or immersed in doing ridiculously stupid things off duty, obviously they will do ridiculously stupid things on duty as well.

Why is anyone surprised?  I don't mean that as a knock on them at all, but I can sure understand it.

I could definitely see the use of PED's and painkillers as well as other means of injury/mission recovery.
View Quote
Excellent point.

Crossfit and chrystals are a tough combination.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:30:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have lots of people who are not SOF who run that program.  SEALs are way to busy for collateral duties.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I don't know how you could possibly torture that ridiculous statement out of what I said.
View Quote
he seems to imply in this statement:

“They think it was OK because they’ve seen other people do it,” Sands said in the video. “They think their teammates won’t turn them in. They think it’s kind of the cool thing to do, but they think it’s OK.”

that it is an internal issue without outside oversight.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:32:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Shit, I can see where drugs would be helpful in their missions. Spend 12 hours on fight, stiff and tired, hop on a chopper and fly another 2 hours, then just a bump of coke or meth and they are instantly ready to fast rope down and stomp the guts out of jihadis.

Once the missions over, go home, pop some Percocet and veg out.

I can't imagine doing what they do without drugs.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:33:54 AM EDT
[#40]
But, rock stars gotta party and break shit...
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:35:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I can't imagine doing what they do without drugs.
View Quote
crossfit and groupies?
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:37:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

crossfit and groupies?
View Quote
I can think of a few drugs that would make both of those better.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:38:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Is it actually affecting their ability to do the job?
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:39:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

“They think it was OK because they’ve seen other people do it,” Sands said in the video. “They think their teammates won’t turn them in. They think it’s kind of the cool thing to do, but they think it’s OK.”

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I worked for someone like you once.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:39:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Are they smoking a blunt to relax after a long mission/deployment or are we talking meth/coke/heroin here?

PEDs?

View Quote
Still a drug and still fits the definition used. 
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:40:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
A shame nothing was learned.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:44:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh he learned a lot.  He didn't particularly like it, but he learned.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:46:02 AM EDT
[#48]
It seems like this celebrity like status will eventually can the whole thing for a start over. How covert can anything they do be once the media starts "hard hitting expose's " and such? Wouldn't it be better if that kind of unit was not often heard about? 
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:46:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If you need weed to "unwind" after a "long mission", then you are a pussy and shouldn't have that job for failure to adapt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PEDs?

Wow.  You must be pretty hard core to call guys living that kind of life pussies.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:48:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Oh he learned a lot.  He didn't particularly like it, but he learned.
View Quote

I'm sure.

Unless it was a class on how to eliminate pregnancy in military units.

In which case I can think of no better instructor.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top