Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 9:36:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A whole 300 people in the ICU from a highly communicable disease in the entire country!?

We have over 100 ICU beds in my hospital alone.

The only epidemic I am seeing is one of panic and stupidity.
View Quote
I am thinking this is an outright fraud. 50% under 40? France has that many AIDS, chemotherepy, and organ transplant patients in that age bracket?
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 9:36:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Obesity seems to be a fairly fatal co-morbidity with this one.
View Quote
Agree.  If .8% mortality is best case based in South Korea then we are screwed.  If death rate is tied to existing comorbidities then you need to Pro Forma SK death rate for disparities in underlying population Heath.  Obesity is the best indicator of comorbidities. SK has an obesity rate of 4%, US has obesity rate of 40%. 10x .8% gives you 8% Pro Forma death rate here.  Italians currently running ~7% death rate (as of yesterday) with obesity rate at ~42%.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 9:39:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
How many younger people here in the US vape? A lot of them. I know it’s not as bad as smoking on the lungs but still, it can’t be good.
View Quote
"It can't be good" as the only evidence is the root of all wives tales.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 9:44:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How many younger people here in the US vape? A lot of them. I know it’s not as bad as smoking on the lungs but still, it can’t be good.
View Quote
Vaping epidemic is pretty much over.  Number started dropping in August and September.  Most cases were associated with THC (which is not in nicotine based vape juice) and pretty much all cases were associated with vitamin E-Acitate.  It was uncommon is nic based juice, but a fairly common carrier in bootleg THC juice.  CDC basically said they did not see cases without Vitamin E Acetate and did not note any in normal vape users.   They will not say definitely it was the cause - but everything pointed that way.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That thread...
https://media.giphy.com/media/Ow59c0pwTPruU/giphy.gif

2016 rankings
Cigarette consumption per year per person
Ranking
63  France 1089.9

69  United States 1016.6

It was in 2016, now 10 pack of malboro is 2$ more expensive than it was then and we must be ranked under 80.

But don't worry we are 3rd world and you are the best, it's gonna be like the flu for you.
Dumbasses. A lot of you.

As for Germany they decided that they were only counting peoples wich died by C19 without any other symptoms. Anyone who died while sick from anything else is not on the stats.
So needless to say that their numbers are nothing more than horseshit.
View Quote
Ayup.  Haven't been to France in a while but have no doubt the average French person is healthier than the average American.  Less obesity, parity on smoking, an overall better diet and more active average lifestyle.

I agree that we as Americans need to stop looking at these other countries and rationalizing away their plight while preemptively high-fiving ourselves.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 9:52:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ayup.  Haven't been to France in a while but have no doubt the average French person is healthier than the average American.  Less obesity, parity on smoking, an overall better diet and more active average lifestyle.

I agree that we as Americans need to stop looking at these other countries and rationalizing away their plight while preemptively high-fiving ourselves.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That thread...

2016 rankings
Ranking
63  France 1089.9

69  United States 1016.6

It was in 2016, now 10 pack of malboro is 2$ more expensive than it was then and we must be ranked under 80.

But don't worry we are 3rd world and you are the best, it's gonna be like the flu for you.
Dumbasses. A lot of you.

As for Germany they decided that they were only counting peoples wich died by C19 without any other symptoms. Anyone who died while sick from anything else is not on the stats.

The only people highfiving are the people in the doomer threads who feel validated for buying 20 years of bleach. People like me looking for differences in the country's, are trying to figure out what we're looking at, and why we were seeing such gaps versus a place like South Korea, who has easily the best data.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 9:54:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
FTFY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I believe ssisimo (sp?) the Italian doctorPsychiatrist in the other thread that Germany is cooking the books when it comes to Covid19 deaths.
FTFY
Still butthurt I see.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 9:57:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The only people highfiving are the people in the doomer threads who feel validated for buying 20 years of bleach. People like me looking for differences in the country's, are trying to figure out what we're looking at, and why we were seeing such gaps versus a place like South Korea, who has easily the best data.
View Quote
Buying "20 years of bleach" is clown shoes.

Bleach isn't stable, and doesn't last much more than a year or so.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 10:02:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Gee, that's exactly what's happening in the "doomer" thread! What a coincidence!
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 10:09:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks. I'll provide some updates throughout the week but hospital preparedness went from 0-100 mph the last few days. There was always preparedness but it's ramping up BIG TIME.
View Quote
I fear that you are  wildly over-estimating the level of 'preparedness' among the hospital/medical community.
..... I sincerely hope that I am mistaken. . .
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 10:15:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That thread...

2016 rankings
Ranking
63  France 1089.9

69  United States 1016.6

Dumbasses. A lot of you.

View Quote
If that's how the Germans are doing their reporting, then I would say it's a useful metric in as much as it gives us some insight to the mortality rate of those without notable co-morbidity issues.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 10:18:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I called this weeks ago that France would be hit hard because of smoking.  Traditional greeting g is not good for these situations either.
View Quote
That and the close proximity to Italy.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 10:18:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 10:23:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Probably because 95% of those filthy fuckers smoke
View Quote
THIS

RIGHT

HERE
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 10:24:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Gee, that's exactly what's happening in the "doomer" thread! What a coincidence!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Self congratulations is kind of a thing that seeps out of it, any time there's a special blue check mark who has grim sounding news, they find their way into the skeptics threads.

An example of the seep out.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 10:25:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
LOL.  Another country another set of excuses why “it’s different for THEM”.   You guys are amusing.
View Quote
How many are Muslim?

Are you aware many Arab male Muslims chain smoke....like 2-3 packs a day.  At least in Several middle eastern countries I’ve been to.

Couple that with cultural issues of sub standard hygiene and that is a likely explanation.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 10:25:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I fear that you are  wildly over-estimating the level of 'preparedness' among the hospital/medical community.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. I'll provide some updates throughout the week but hospital preparedness went from 0-100 mph the last few days. There was always preparedness but it's ramping up BIG TIME.
The US healthcare system is not as prepared as it should be. That’s well known. There are limited resources. Some healthcare systems will be better prepared than others in regards to their emergency preparedness.

Can’t really do a “slow is smooth and smooth is fast” approach right now because there isn’t any time left to have that approach. Their is a great sense of urgency. Lots of information and guidance still coming out from the CDC. Nothing is set in stone but a strength of the US healthcare system is that it is highly adaptable and we can change direction almost instantly. We can “roll with the punches”. Expect a full throttle, rocky take off. I know several people in competitor health care systems here and I can tell you everyone, including my own system, will go above and beyond and past the breaking point to do whatever it takes to take care of our patients.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 10:30:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 10:35:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If that's how the Germans are doing their reporting, then I would say it's a useful metric in as much as it gives us some insight to the mortality rate of those without notable co-morbidity issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That thread...

2016 rankings
Ranking
63  France 1089.9

69  United States 1016.6

Dumbasses. A lot of you.

Agreed, it's useful

Quoted:
Quoted:
I called this weeks ago that France would be hit hard because of smoking.  Traditional greeting g is not good for these situations either.
That and the close proximity to Italy.
By talking about things in terms of countries, you're now a flu bro troofer, prepare for the hatemail
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 10:36:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since they began treating people in China.  Some BP meds increase the number of receptor sites in the lungs that this virus attaches to.  There several papers and articles about this on the web.
Would you do me a favor and point me to some (even one) article on this? I AM NOT trolling you, I sincerely want to learn more about this, as I have high BP
https://www.newsweek.com/coronavirus-death-risk-could-higher-patients-high-blood-pressure-chinese-covid-19-doctor-claims-1490850
Opinions on this are mixed. Ace2 is the target receptor for covid. Blood pressure meds target the pathway regulating that gene.

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-questions-about-high-blood-pressure-diabetes-and-ace-inhibitor-drugs-and-risk-of-covid-19-infection/
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 11:13:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 11:16:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Both numbers are useful, you just can't compare one country to another if you don't know which number is being reported.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 11:28:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
We are a bunch of fat asses though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That must be the reason their life expectancy is 79 years for males and 87 for females compared to 76.5 and 81 in US of A.
We are a bunch of fat asses though.
Feel free to compare statistics of Americans of a Italian descent life expectancies to Italians in Italy.  I suspect you might find the numbers are much closer.
At least for men.p it probably ties.  Probably cuts that gap in half for women.  We do stuff like let women drive and get fat.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 11:37:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Since 75% of arfcom is probably in this shape I would worry a little bit.

And I thought everyone smoked Cigars on here?

Link Posted: 3/14/2020 11:40:31 PM EDT
[#25]
That tweet just says that 50% of 300 cases in ICU. That’s 150 people....
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 7:55:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Bump for updates

@thesilvercord
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 9:43:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 9:50:38 AM EDT
[#28]
It's a nothing burger

or

It's fake news created by the media to hurt Trump

or

It's a plot by our lizard overlords

or

'It's just the flu bro'
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 9:53:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It's a nothing burger

or

or

or

'It's just the flu bro'
View Quote
It’s really just servants and masters. Simple hygiene and basic precautions deter infection. The hysteria is definitely a manipulation.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 9:55:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
RIP Economy literally everyone
View Quote
FIFY!!!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 9:56:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Meanwhile in the USA

Thirty-seven deaths (77% of total) are in Washington state.

Newly reported on March 13, 2020

Two women in their 90s at Life Care Center died on March 6.
A woman in her 80s at Life Care Center died on March 6.
A man in his 70s at Overlake Medical Center died on March 4.
A man in his 80s at Swedish Issaquah hospital, died on March 9.
Woman in her 70s with underlying health conditions died on March 11.
Four Washington state deaths are from Snohomish County

A woman in her 70s with underlying health conditions died March 11.
Woman in her 80s with underlying health conditions died March 10.
Man in his 80s with underlying health conditions, died March 9 at the Josephine Caring Community
A man in his 40s with underlying health conditions died but the date has not been specified.
One Washington State death is from Grant County, a patient in his or her 80s.

Four deaths are in California:

A woman, 90s, in assisted living.
A woman, 60s, hospitalized in Santa Clara.
An elderly man in assisted living.
A man, 71, with underlying health conditions who had been on a Grand Princess cruise ship.
Two deaths are in Florida:

A man and woman, both in their 70s, died after returning from foreign travel.
One death is in New Jersey:

A man, 69, who is diabetic and suffered two cardiac arrests, has died.
One death is in South Dakota:

A man in his 60s with underlying medical conditions has died.
One death is in Georgia:

A man, 67, with underlying medical conditions has died.
One death is in Kansas:

A man in his 70s with underlying health conditions died at the Life Care Center in Kansas City.
One death in is Colorado:

A woman in her 80s with underlying health conditions has died.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 9:57:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My son works for a large health care system here in Idaho, and was briefed yesterday that we can expect the U.S. to be 7-14 days behind Europe and whatever they're going through.

One can read between the lines between daily updates at the WH level, on down to health systems and see plain as day that this is developing into a no-shit crises.  Additionally, the death rate for COVID-19 is four times that of the flu according to the numbers that his employer is working with.  He fully expects to be working from home starting Monday.
View Quote
Only four times that of flu?  Seems low.  Even in South Korea it's six times the flu.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 10:05:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Since 75% of arfcom is probably in this shape I would worry a little bit.

And I thought everyone smoked Cigars on here?

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/uploads/b516c270d7dde544d2358cf97fa86bf3.jpg
View Quote
You're not supposed to inhale cigars

Link Posted: 3/16/2020 10:07:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Smoking is big in France
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 10:13:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Smoking is big in France
View Quote
That is statistically true, but pointing out differences in countries is forbidden because reasons.

Ignore South Korea's testing because, the italy numbers on twitter are scarier so lets use those.
Not using the most incomplete data sets means YOU have a confirmation bias, duh.

FYI here is a blue checkmark saying young people are sick.
Checkmate.

What's that? In every country -  including Italy, China, United States, South Korea, and the plague princess,
The lethality tracks very much with age. ALL country data points to that. Over 80 is bad news. Younger kids for whatever reason by comparison are barely getting sick and if so, faring better than older people.

But now it's got a bunch of 18year olds on vents but NOT children still because ________?
Accept the tweets uncritically, and do NOT ask questions as to why thay might be, even if true.
Fog of war is never wrong.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 10:18:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I saw that explained somewhere.  They show deaths DUE to CV different than deaths WITH CV.  So if you had some health issue and the complications due to CV caused death, it's not categorized the same as a death from CV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, to what do we attribute Germany's low mortality rate?

Germany.
Confirmed: 4,515
Deaths: 8
Recovered: 46
Active: 4,461
I saw that explained somewhere.  They show deaths DUE to CV different than deaths WITH CV.  So if you had some health issue and the complications due to CV caused death, it's not categorized the same as a death from CV.
But if you add up their active cases, their dead and their recovered cases it equals their total case number.

So if they are dividing 'death with' and 'death from' where are those totals for total cases going? Their numbers are lining up.

Does that make sense?
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 10:20:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
That's good news.  Do you have a source?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Worth noting Italy recovered is outpacing dead. No one cares about that though.
That really isn't good news. For China of the resolved (recovered and dead) cases 7% died. So the 60/40 split for Italy is tremendously bad.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 10:26:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That really isn't good news. For China of the resolved (recovered and dead) cases 7% died. So the 60/40 split for Italy is tremendously bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In your opinion, what CFR number sounds accurate or reasonable to you?
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 10:28:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It's a nothing burger

or

or

or

'It's just the flu bro'
View Quote
You predicted 500,000 in the U.S. were going to die.
Or did I misunderstand?
BTW, we know it isn't the flu. The point is that it has yet to prove it is more deadly than the flu, just more infectious.
The 7% etc. is garbage not supported by the data.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It says that half of those in ICUs are under 60. What I want to know is what percentage of known infected are in ICUs.
View Quote
According to this site its 2 out of 6,612 total cases.

COVID-19 tracker
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 10:43:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My numbers aren't CFR because they do not include (because it hasn't happened yet) active cases.

I really do not know; even .5% produces scary numbers. And the key is to flatten bulge because even if it's .5% it might double due to overloading the health care system. But if you held a gun to my head I'd say 1% but S. Korea's response has been great, they have a good health care system and a fitter population so .7 or .8% might be the best we can do.

In terms of density of cases Switzerland and Norway are right behind Italy. I think watching what happens there will provide good info.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 10:43:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Or did I misunderstand?
BTW, we know it isn't the flu. The point is that it has yet to prove it is more deadly than the flu, just more infectious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a nothing burger

or

or

or

'It's just the flu bro'
Or did I misunderstand?
My post above was sarcastic.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 11:14:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My numbers aren't CFR because they do not include (because it hasn't happened yet) active cases.

I really do not know; even .5% produces scary numbers. And the key is to flatten bulge because even if it's .5% it might double due to overloading the health care system. But if you held a gun to my head I'd say 1% but S. Korea's response has been great, they have a good health care system and a fitter population so .7 or .8% might be the best we can do.

In terms of density of cases Switzerland and Norway are right behind Italy. I think watching what happens there will provide good info.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not going to pin another person's beliefs on you, but I'm going to ask for thoughts on this:
South Korea has some ~8,000ish cases, (7,200 in just one province) are we to believe that 20% of those, some 1600 needed vents (which has been very heavily implied by some) - But they had all 1,600 vents resulting in an "artificially low" CFR?

I personally see the CFR range ending up between 1.0 and .35 when the studies are done later.
I do think South Korea has the most complete data period.   250,000 tests will do that. Having it amongst a whole population and not just a cruise ship trending 10 years older, also will do that.
In terms of what's happening with us in the US, while we do have a less fit population, we also have less population density.
(South Korean average, 1,302 people per square mile, to our 90 in the US.)

They had a travel ban from China's Hubei province (we had a travel ban)
They're cancelling large gatherings, concerts, schools, etc  - as are we
We have the benefit of having time to even talk and think about this, because "orangeman" closed down the travel to China.
It's specifically why we are not in the same boat as Europe is, why we're going "last". We did turn off the faucet.

By no means do I think the next 6 weeks will be a "fun" time, with cheery headlines, and no one getting worried and no one getting sick?
But I do think the PROMISES of doom, "it's too late already",  "CFR of 7%" by some of the doomsayers are absolute clownshoes.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 11:27:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Yes. Unless morons that say "I'm young and fit, I'm good to go, its fatties and boomers that die from this" don't wake up and practice social distancing,  learn some math, understand exponential increase, and think they are invulnerable to a virus that our immune systems know nothing about.

If they dont, a bunch of them are going to expose their relatives and themselves. Not everyone will be fine and many will die in line for a ventilator...if they don't wake up.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

de Gaulle mandated that in 46. It's a plan to keep Germany out by being stinky. Pepe Le Pew first appeared in 45 as a psy-op forerunner of the plan. He was designed to create a cognitive precondition that would make people more readily accept that France and her people were stinky and unpleasant.
View Quote
Mustache on avatar checks out.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 6:39:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
A lot of y'all think this is a nothingburger. You are wrong. It hasn't had time to develop here yet. The good thing is, it appears to not harm small children, unless they are already sick with something else.
View Quote
It doesn't seem to harm most adults unless they have underlying issues. What else do those patients have?
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 6:43:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
How many and who get tested is part of the issue.

Underlying infirmities are another.

This is a serious illness but if your risk factors are low you will probably be fine.

Hardly anybody here in America is getting tested.  They are short on test kits.
View Quote
When sports teams and other elites in society stop getting all the test kits, maybe we won't have a shortage.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 6:48:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
No it's not because of that.  The CFR is currently 35x higher.

4x the flu is wishful thinking.

The fact that you're a healthcare worker and not taking this seriously is appalling.  Though fortunately, I'm guessing you're pretty low on the totem pole.  AEMT?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why is it 4 times that of the flu?   Is it because we only have enough test kits to test the most severely sick...bingo!

I working on the front lines today.  I am watching it unfold in front of me.  NOBODY qualifies for a test.
No it's not because of that.  The CFR is currently 35x higher.

4x the flu is wishful thinking.

The fact that you're a healthcare worker and not taking this seriously is appalling.  Though fortunately, I'm guessing you're pretty low on the totem pole.  AEMT?
Just stop @destaccado
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 6:52:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
When sports teams and other elites in society stop getting all the test kits, maybe we won't have a shortage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How many and who get tested is part of the issue.

Underlying infirmities are another.

This is a serious illness but if your risk factors are low you will probably be fine.

Hardly anybody here in America is getting tested.  They are short on test kits.
As of yesterday 22,000 total tests administered to Americans on U.S. soil.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 6:53:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

even their bodies surrender pretty quick too...
View Quote
Touche'
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top