BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 248
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 2:45:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe I’m reading too much into it, but given how long it’s taken Lewis to sign a new contract at Mercedes I’m almost hesitant to say that this picture (1 of 6 he just posted on instagram) is a hint at retirement?

“Hanging up his overalls” is an expression used to describe when a driver retires

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/334296/IMG_2920_png-2895653.JPG

Im probably wrong but just a thought I had
View Quote

I’ve been surprised at the amount of swooning Lewis has done over McLaren’s uptick in form.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 2:51:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Didn't catch it all and ail look for it again when espn can list their shit correctly, or through other means. I thought it was interesting and enlightening regarding him and his teammates from what I saw. 50 years on and I still think he is one of the greats.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone catch the documentary on Jackie Stewart that was on ESPN right after the race?  Pretty interesting seeing the old cars and drivers  Never knew he couldn’t read or write.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/38048245

Didn't catch it all and ail look for it again when espn can list their shit correctly, or through other means. I thought it was interesting and enlightening regarding him and his teammates from what I saw. 50 years on and I still think he is one of the greats.

The fact he ran 99 races in that era without being killed makes him one of the greats for that alone.

He did an awesome long interview with a British car journalist that was incredibly interesting. Didn’t know he was a world class skeet shooter before ever racing a car.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 3:48:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I know they’re friends, but he is being a dick about it. He posted this on IG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/380475/IMG_0608_jpeg-2896085.JPG
View Quote

A few weeks ago, I said Lando keeps finding new ways to make himself increasingly unlikable.

Honestly, that was probably one of the most intricate and labor intensive trophies on the calendar given the hand adorned enamel work. If you have ever purchased a decorative enamel faced watch or piece, you may know why they cost so much. If one thing goes wrong during the enamel firing and cooling process, the piece it ruined and has to chucked.

Judging by the level of inlay and intracity, I'll estimate each one of these takes a craftsmen weeks or more to create.

I am FAR from an expect on Hungarian culture, the craftsmanship and time needed for make this is probably reflective of an honored tradition and part of their country's high-art legacy, and not just some fling away, CNC milled, polished metal and acrylic sponsor trophy.

EDIT: Oh shit! I rolled back a page. Someone posted a Tweet - they take 6 months(!) to create and the larger of the three cost $45,000!
What a dunce Lando is being! That's something, that a minimum, you immediately apologize to the craftsman for ruining and offer both parties a chance to make it right for everyone.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 4:05:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

A few weeks ago, I said Lando keeps finding new ways to make himself increasingly unlikable.

Honestly, that was probably one of the most intricate and labor intensive trophies on the calendar given the hand adorned enamel work. If you have ever purchased a decorative enamel faced watch or piece, you may know why they cost so much. If one thing goes wrong during the enamel firing and cooling process, the piece it ruined and has to chucked.

Judging by the level of inlay and intracity, I'll estimate each one of these takes a craftsmen weeks or more to create.
https://i.imgur.com/jfm6Lq5.jpg

I am FAR from an expect on Hungarian culture, the craftsmanship and time needed for make this is probably reflective of an honored tradition and part of their country's high-art legacy, and not just some fling away, CNC milled, polished metal and acrylic sponsor trophy.

EDIT: Oh shit! I rolled back a page. Someone posted a Tweet - they take 6 months(!) to create and the larger of the three cost $45,000!
What a dunce Lando is being! That's something, that a minimum, you immediately apologize to the craftsman for ruining and offer both parties a chance to make it right for everyone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lando looked and acted like he was stoned out of his mind after the race.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 4:11:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Isn’t that the same that Bottas get a few years ago at the same track for taking out a bunch of the front rows?  

I think the problem is that the FIA only has one penalty for causing a collision, and it doesn’t make a difference if you take out one or three.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have you seen how much Leclerc oversped in the pit lane according to the stewards report ?

0.7km/h for less than 1/10th of a second…

I am surprised that they can even get such an accurate measurement.

Strange that there is no margin of error tolerance for this when there is even one for jumping a start (Bottas in Austria for ex)

Also makes no sense that this is worth 5sec penalty, and that ruining the race of 3 drivers (Zhou) is also worth the same penalty. In the sense that the rules should be changed to have a more severe penalty for ruining other people races

This I completly agree with, zhou got off way to easy

Isn’t that the same that Bottas get a few years ago at the same track for taking out a bunch of the front rows?  

I think the problem is that the FIA only has one penalty for causing a collision, and it doesn’t make a difference if you take out one or three.

He got a 5-place grid penalty for the next race in Spa, Zhou got a 5 second penalty and 2 points on his license but no grid drop.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 4:37:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm glad I am not the only one that noticed something seemed very off about this behavior.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 4:38:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm glad I am not the only one that noticed something seemed very off about this behavior.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heat and dehydration is a hell of a drug
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 4:43:11 PM EDT
[#8]
People insinuating Hamilton to mclaren? What about Lando to Red Bull?

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 4:57:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Lando has a contract through 2025 as the third highest paid driver, so it probably won’t happen next year as the “price” for Red Bull would be high.

One year remaining could probably be handled with a discount on RBPT power units in 2026 and forward.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 7:51:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Lando has a contract through 2025 as the third highest paid driver, so it probably won’t happen next year as the “price” for Red Bull would be high.

One year remaining could probably be handled with a discount on RBPT power units in 2026 and forward.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Lando is the most overpaid driver in F1. He’s not going anywhere until his contract is up.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 9:09:21 PM EDT
[#11]
This thing is doing the rounds around Auckland. It's much larger than I thought.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/24/2023 9:34:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 10:32:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Super cool! I saw an overlay of the current F1 cars and a Cadillac Escalade(big ass American SUV) and was really surprised how big it is.
View Quote

Yes. I posted it about 4-5 weeks ago.
It’s longer and wider than the extended wheelbase Suburban / Escalade
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 10:40:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lando hit the bottle off the podium, which shook the podium enought that the trophy fell over. He didn't hit the trophy, like the initial video on Twitter insinuated.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 10:54:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Lando hit the bottle off the podium, which shook the podium enought that the trophy fell over. He didn't hit the trophy, like the initial video on Twitter insinuated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. I was referring to his post race interviews.

One of these drivers is stoned…..

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 10:06:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

……..
View Quote

I thought it was me, that Lando was a bit insufferable, perhaps even smug.  But clearly others have noticed as well
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 10:30:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I thought it was me, that Lando was a bit insufferable, perhaps even smug.  But clearly others have noticed as well
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

……..

Spoiled rich kid turned celebrity racing driver. Not hard to see how it happens; given the same circumstances I’d probably be a total piece of shit.

I personally don’t have a problem with how he acts. I think he’s wildly overpaid and overrated but that’s not really his fault.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 10:50:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Today, at least, Charles asked the strategist about doing something that was not planned, and he was denied.

Charles may complain more but he also gets screwed by the team 100% more than sainz, to be honest
View Quote

No way.  Remember when Carlos was all over Charles’ gear box at the beginning of the race for several laps and Ferrari wouldn’t switch them (different strats)?  Whenever the opposite happens they always make Carlos let Charles through immediately!

At this point I’m convinced that Ferrari hates Carlos.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 11:10:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No way.  Remember when Carlos was all over Charles’ gear box at the beginning of the race for several laps and Ferrari wouldn’t switch them (different strats)?  Whenever the opposite happens they always make Carlos let Charles through immediately!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Today, at least, Charles asked the strategist about doing something that was not planned, and he was denied.

Charles may complain more but he also gets screwed by the team 100% more than sainz, to be honest

Charles is the #1 driver. Regardless, Ferrari still finds a way to fuck it up for both of them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 11:19:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Charles is the #1 driver. Regardless, Ferrari still finds a way to fuck it up for both of them.
View Quote

They both need to leave Ferrari - that team is a mess and has been for far too long. Boat without a rudder.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 11:20:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Anyone noticing Merc is on the Attack through the rags against Redbull even more than usual after this past weekends race?
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 11:22:59 AM EDT
[#23]
@Berettadeprived

Cool, that's the RB16B 2021 car in current livery?
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 11:45:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

@Berettadeprived

View Quote

Looks to be a 16 or 16B show car.

The aero insanity of the actual 16B.

Link Posted: 7/25/2023 11:46:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Spoiled rich kid turned celebrity racing driver. Not hard to see how it happens; given the same circumstances I'd probably be a total piece of shit.

I personally don't have a problem with how he acts. I think he's wildly overpaid and overrated but that's not really his fault.
View Quote
You could arguably say Charles is a "spoiled rich kid" but like him or not, he's probably one of the most humble drivers on the grid.
Having money is no excuse for being a douche.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 11:54:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Looks to be a 16 or 16B show car.

The aero insanity of the actual 16B.

https://i.imgur.com/YrOJlnR.jpg
View Quote
More companies should advertise as "the Official Leaf Blower of Suchandsuch F1 team"
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 12:05:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You could arguably say Charles is a "spoiled rich kid" but like him or not, he's probably one of the most humble drivers on the grid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spoiled rich kid turned celebrity racing driver. Not hard to see how it happens; given the same circumstances I'd probably be a total piece of shit.

I personally don't have a problem with how he acts. I think he's wildly overpaid and overrated but that's not really his fault.

Thought we were talking about Lando - what did i miss?
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 12:13:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Thought we were talking about Lando - what did i miss?
View Quote
Sorry, I was making a comparison between Lando and Charles both being "rich kids", but with very different personalities, IMO.

Link Posted: 7/25/2023 12:34:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Ricciardo being integrated back into the F1 media machine.

All Access: Behind The Scenes With Daniel Ricciardo At F1 Shoot
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 12:49:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Could be interesting.

Link Posted: 7/25/2023 12:55:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Could be interesting.

View Quote
That'll be pretty cool. I hope they don't just gloss over the Minardi years.
Despite being very unsuccessful and perennial back markers, it's actually a very important name in F1 history that deserves
a full telling of their story.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 1:36:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely. You could also say the same about Max. I wasn’t trying to make excuses for him or say everyone that grows up with money is spoiled just pointing out how it’s easy for me to see how it happens. I think Max and Charles are a little different because racing is almost a family business where(it appears) Lando does it because that’s what affluent British kids do.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why?  Checko is doing exactly what RB wants him to do at a far lower price than Lando.
Checko is:
Not challenging VER
Racking up Constructor points while not challenging VER
Sandbagging qualifying so he can make up a lot of positions on Sunday to show how good of a driver he is, to rack up constructor points and not challenging VER.
Appealing to the brown demographic while VER appeals to the orange demo.
He is #2 in the Drivers' championship while not challenging VER.

So, he is doing everything RB wants their #2 driver to do.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Why?  Checko is doing exactly what RB wants him to do at a far lower price than Lando.
Checko is:
Not challenging VER
Sandbagging qualifying so he can make up a lot of positions on Sunday to show how good of a driver he is, to rack up constructor points and not challenging VER.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Checko is:
Not challenging VER

That only works as long as RB has a car that is worlds better than everyone else, they could run 1 car for the rest of the season and still win both championships. All the other top tier teams have a much stronger second driver. As soon as one or more teams close the gap Checo becomes a huge liability, he’s already cost them one constructors championship, I doubt they’ll let him do it again.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 3:50:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:06:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

The ineptitude last year and this year has been breathtaking.  Ferrari is a team that desperately needs a merciless alpha who brings his own team and demands perfection.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:19:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The ineptitude last year and this year has been breathtaking.  Ferrari is a team that desperately needs a merciless alpha who brings his own team and demands perfection.
View Quote

You could list the number of merciless alpha drivers that were successful at Ferrari on approximately one finger (maybe two).

Ferrari established a culture of top down dominance.  Ownership and management tells the driver what to do.  The driver is paid to drive.

Schumi and Lauda were about the only two that got along with management, were demanding, and won consistently.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:22:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You could list the number of merciless alpha drivers that were successful at Ferrari on approximately one finger (maybe two).

Ferrari established a culture of top down dominance.  Ownership and management tells the driver what to do.  The driver is paid to drive.

Schumi and Lauda were about the only two that got along with management, were demanding, and won consistently.
View Quote

I do count it on one finger

And the contrast between then and now is fairly stark.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:58:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

@Berettadeprived

View Quote

I think it's a bastardised RB 14, All the online stuff about it says RB 14 show car, but it must be a a hybrid of parts.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The management, the systems, and the people are broken.

As an example, their radios have been fucked up for 3-4 races and they have yet to fix it. That is basic shit.

Success in F1 is about nailing all of the details (and there are thousands).
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 6:11:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Anyone noticing Merc is on the Attack through the rags against Redbull even more than usual after this past weekends race?
View Quote

Yeah. What was Lewis on about saying Red Bulls DRS advantage disappeared and that the media should “look into it”?
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

He got a 5-place grid penalty for the next race in Spa, Zhou got a 5 second penalty and 2 points on his license but no grid drop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have you seen how much Leclerc oversped in the pit lane according to the stewards report ?

0.7km/h for less than 1/10th of a second…

I am surprised that they can even get such an accurate measurement.

Strange that there is no margin of error tolerance for this when there is even one for jumping a start (Bottas in Austria for ex)

Also makes no sense that this is worth 5sec penalty, and that ruining the race of 3 drivers (Zhou) is also worth the same penalty. In the sense that the rules should be changed to have a more severe penalty for ruining other people races

This I completly agree with, zhou got off way to easy

IIRC, Bottas also took himself out in the incident, so it was impossible to give a 5 second penalty to a car that DNF.  The only other available penalty to apply was a grid drop for the next race.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 3:36:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Interesting analysis (in italian) showing the real potential of the RB-19

Look at the rpm when max did his 1.20.5 in hard tires when everybody else was at best at 1.22.3-6 .

He must have been real bored to purposely show this.

Quel Giro MAGICO da 1 20, analisi...

In the comments someone thinks one of their secret is using non Newtonian fluids in the suspensions/shock absorber that can be interacted with, to change their properly, allowing some new form of active suspension.

In fact, if you look at the RB-19 she has very little pitch or roll movements on track, and can be extremely low where it needs, while being 100% legal while coming back at the pits.

And apparently, there is absolutely no rules about the fluid used in the suspensions/shock absorbers.

The Rb-19 is compared to the Williams FW15C in the way it operates. Another gem from newey
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 9:49:54 AM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 7/26/2023 9:53:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The fact he ran 99 races in that era without being killed makes him one of the greats for that alone.

He did an awesome long interview with a British car journalist that was incredibly interesting. Didn’t know he was a world class skeet shooter before ever racing a car.
View Quote

Shooting was going to be his career before he discovered motorsports.

JYS not just a great driver, a great man too. If you can watch the documentary 'Weekend of a Champion' shot during Monaco in (I think 1971/2) it's well worth it. His book is a good read too.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 9:55:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Things also change fast in F1. Past performance is not an indicator of future form. Red Bull are overdue a turd of a car. It's all it takes. Even Newey's record is far from perfect.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 9:58:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Hungaroring paddock was alight with rumors that several teams have majorly busted the cost cap, due in no small part to Red Bull getting what was basically a parking ticket for doing so.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 10:03:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F19fHu1XsAA5Wdy?format=jpg&name=medium
View Quote

Pirelli had a tyre stress model that was built to predict tyre loading by the end of this season. The teams exceeded it already in Melbourne. They are finding downforce in little areas all over the regulations, as they always do. Also, the field spread is greatly reduced. Following isn't necessarily harder, the cars are just a lot closer in performance.

An obsession with overtaking stats - in Formula One, of all series - is completely retarded.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 10:06:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Throw out Hungary and it gets pretty close again, last year was an anomaly for the Hungaroring, the track is a turd.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Shooting was going to be his career before he discovered motorsports.

JYS not just a great driver, a great man too. If you can watch the documentary 'Weekend of a Champion' shot during Monaco in (I think 1971/2) it's well worth it. His book is a good read too.

I’ll have to get his book for sure. Interesting man who’s lived a hell of a life. Listing to him get choked up talking about all the funerals he had to attend for his friends over his career makes it easy to understand why he hung it up when he did.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 10:30:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The Hungaroring paddock was alight with rumors that several teams have majorly busted the cost cap, due in no small part to Red Bull getting what was basically a parking ticket for doing so.
View Quote

Man if several teams moved past a "small" infringement...they are forcing FIA to make real examples......like...at least one execution style example.
Page / 248
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top