[#1]
Or for FIA to acknowledge that the cost cap is stupid … and get rid of it
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 11:42:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Or for FIA to acknowledge that the cost cap is stupid … and get rid of it
View Quote

I honestly don't see that happening again.  I think they feel the mid pack battles have tighten up...hell even the front of the pack is really just 1 team and everyone else is fairly close at this point.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 12:00:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Throw out Hungary and it gets pretty close again, last year was an anomaly for the Hungaroring, the track is a turd.

I’ll have to get his book for sure. Interesting man who’s lived a hell of a life. Listing to him get choked up talking about all the funerals he had to attend for his friends over his career makes it easy to understand why he hung it up when he did.
View Quote

He talked about it in the Fangio document on Netflix as well. It is pretty sobering.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 1:27:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Man if several teams moved past a "small" infringement...they are forcing FIA to make real examples......like...at least one execution style example.
View Quote

Rumors say: Aston Martin, McLaren and possibly RB
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 1:32:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The Hungaroring paddock was alight with rumors that several teams have majorly busted the cost cap, due in no small part to Red Bull getting what was basically a parking ticket for doing so.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone noticing Merc is on the Attack through the rags against Redbull even more than usual after this past weekends race?

The Hungaroring paddock was alight with rumors that several teams have majorly busted the cost cap, due in no small part to Red Bull getting what was basically a parking ticket for doing so.

Is this a "If every driver in a race gets a 5 second penalty, then the outcome of the race is the same" or "they can't send us all to jail!" situation
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Interesting analysis (in italian) showing the real potential of the RB-19

Look at the rpm when max did his 1.20.5 in hard tires when everybody else was at best at 1.22.3-6 .

He must have been real bored to purposely show this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzFGyIuVMHY

In the comments someone thinks one of their secret is using non Newtonian fluids in the suspensions/shock absorber that can be interacted with, to change their properly, allowing some new form of active suspension.

In fact, if you look at the RB-19 she has very little pitch or roll movements on track, and can be extremely low where it needs, while being 100% legal while coming back at the pits.

And apparently, there is absolutely no rules about the fluid used in the suspensions/shock absorbers.

The Rb-19 is compared to the Williams FW15C in the way it operates. Another gem from newey
View Quote

Dude, the non Newtonian fluid was a joke by Scarbs @scarbstech. I hope you’re joking, or else you’re extremely gullible.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 7:23:03 PM EDT
[#7]
F1TV is now actively enforcing their terms of service preventing the use of VPN’s.

Link Posted: 7/26/2023 7:41:52 PM EDT
[#8]
BELGIAN GRAND PRIX SCHEDULE

FRIDAY 07/28
FP1 7:30AM - ESPN2
QUALI 11AM - ESPN2

SATURDAY 07/29
SPRINT SHOOTOUT 6AM - ESPN2
SPRINT 10:30AM - ESPN2

SUNDAY 07/30
RACE 9AM - ESPN

Five Brilliant Battles at the Belgian Grand Prix
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 8:03:10 AM EDT
[#9]

I think the jib is up for this Max guy as an F1 driver
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 9:27:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Rumors say: Aston Martin, McLaren and possibly RB
View Quote

At this point, there's no way RB broke it again.  AM, Mclaren...and I'd say Mercedes....but RB knows they won't get mercy this go around if they did it twice.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 9:40:27 AM EDT
[#11]
So I scored tickets to go with some family and friends to the 2024 Canadian GP.  Has anyone gone before?  I have race tickets only and will be sitting turn 10 / 11 area.  What is a good hotel or area to stay?  Is it a pain in the ass to get in (timewise) or is it fairly quick.  Tickets are all I have secured so far.  Any insight is greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 9:43:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So I scored tickets to go with some family and friends to the 2024 Canadian GP.  Has anyone gone before?  I have race tickets only and will be sitting turn 10 / 11 area.  What is a good hotel or area to stay?  Is it a pain in the ass to get in (timewise) or is it fairly quick.  Tickets are all I have secured so far.  Any insight is greatly appreciated!
View Quote
@Auxcoastie
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 9:52:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

FRIDAY 07/28
QUALI 11AM - ESPN2

SATURDAY 07/29

SUNDAY 07/30
RACE 9AM - ESPN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBDOZ8l1BhE
View Quote

If we don’t get a decent race at spa this year I’m going to fucking kill myself.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 9:53:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If we don’t get a decent race at spa this year I’m going to fucking kill myself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FRIDAY 07/28
QUALI 11AM - ESPN2

SATURDAY 07/29

SUNDAY 07/30
RACE 9AM - ESPN

It is going to rain all weekend.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 10:43:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FRIDAY 07/28
QUALI 11AM - ESPN2

SATURDAY 07/29

SUNDAY 07/30
RACE 9AM - ESPN

Good. Unless there is too much rain and they puss out again or the helicopters can’t fly
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 10:58:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 11:09:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
@Auxcoastie
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Auxcoastie

Thanks for the at tifosi!
@drewptwo I may have been there a few times! As seen below my son and I were at that turn this year and at 08/09 turn in 2022. I did the F1 experiences package that got us a bus from the hotel everyday.

We stayed at the residence inn, courtyard by Marriot airport location (2 connected hotels) but our first year there a father and his young 6 year old son took the airport shuttle everyday to the airport and caught the metro from there. I think a number of people did, also a Walmart is walkable to from the hotel so you can get snacks and water.

Any other questions as the time gets closer let me know.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/27/2023 11:37:25 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm going to make some bold predictions about this weekend's race:

Max wins.
Checo fucks up at some point.
McLaren does well.
Ferrari fucks up at some point.
Lewis Hamilton whines about something.
Ricciardo does better than Yuki.

Call me crazy, but it's a gut feeling.

Link Posted: 7/27/2023 11:39:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Max wins.
McLaren does well.

View Quote

Easy there nostradamus!! ??
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 11:49:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Max wins.
McLaren does well.

View Quote
Tempted to add one; of the six Alpines, Haas, and Alfas, 3 at most will finish, and one team will have no finishers.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 11:49:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Max wins.
McLaren does well.

Link Posted: 7/27/2023 11:58:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Max wins.
McLaren does well.

Easy there nostradamus!!

Link Posted: 7/27/2023 12:30:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Thanks for the at tifosi!
@drewptwo I may have been there a few times! As seen below my son and I were at that turn this year and at 08/09 turn in 2022. I did the F1 experiences package that got us a bus from the hotel everyday.

We stayed at the residence inn, courtyard by Marriot airport location (2 connected hotels) but our first year there a father and his young 6 year old son took the airport shuttle everyday to the airport and caught the metro from there. I think a number of people did, also a Walmart is walkable to from the hotel so you can get snacks and water.

Any other questions as the time gets closer let me know.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/262944/IMG_4797_jpeg-2899545.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/262944/IMG_4806_jpeg-2899547.JPG

View Quote

Awesome, thanks for the info!  How far ahead did you need to book the hotel room?  You going again in 2024?

Cheers to @tifosi for the call out, and thanks @Auxcoastie for the info!
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 1:18:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Good. Unless there is too much rain and they puss out again or the helicopters can’t fly
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 2:07:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/0c96c781a5e6260d0827848aec47d205-381.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/0c96c781a5e6260d0827848aec47d205-381.gif

In fairness, someone did just die there in the rain.

That said, that race shouldn't have been restarted in those conditions for that set of drivers.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 2:48:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 3:01:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Max wins.
McLaren does well.

View Quote
Check out the big brain on Cypher214!
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 3:04:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Miami Presale is up.

Cheapest seats are $675 for all 3 days.

Turn 1 looks to be $1300.

Start/Finish $1600
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 3:28:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Miami Presale is up.

Start/Finish $1600
View Quote

I've been the past two years, going to sit next year out.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 3:42:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Miami Presale is up.

Start/Finish $1600

Probably going to do the same for COTA in 2024 after watching our seats double over the last few years.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 3:47:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

At this point, there's no way RB broke it again.  AM, Mclaren...and I'd say Mercedes....but RB knows they won't get mercy this go around if they did it twice.
View Quote

As a massive car manufacturing company, couldn’t Mercedes easily hide R&D spending in the AMG Division or elsewhere?  Or does the cost cap not limit R&D?
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 4:02:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

As a massive car manufacturing company, couldn't Mercedes easily hide R&D spending in the AMG Division or elsewhere?  Or does the cost cap not limit R&D?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a massive car manufacturing company, couldn't Mercedes easily hide R&D spending in the AMG Division or elsewhere?  Or does the cost cap not limit R&D?
I would believe it's very limited on what good R&D you'll get elsewhere within an organization like that.
Even Alpine and Ferrari, who have WEC programs which would seem a logical place to develop their racecar tech, would be of very limited benefit to F1.
The entire chassis/aero is apples and oranges. The suspension designs are very different, as is the braking system. The PU's are different.
Hell, each of those cars (F1 and WEC) are designed for completely different parameters of competition.

About the only thing I can think of that might benefit from some crossover is some of the electrical systems. Maybe some of the regenerative
charging and whatnot.
I'm not of the opinion that F1 teams are really hiding R&D in these other programs, not to any meaningful degree. At most, it gives them a place
to train up engineers and other staff if they need to pull from their own employee pool to fill spots in the F1 department.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Awesome, thanks for the info!  How far ahead did you need to book the hotel room?  You going again in 2024?

Cheers to @tifosi for the call out, and thanks @Auxcoastie for the info!
View Quote

My hotel was part of my F1 Experiences package so no idea, being the planner that I am I would book the hotel today and lock in whatever rate that you can get. Our room was a solid business hotel room and was fine. Never had a hotel complain about getting my money to early.

My son and I will not be going again, 2 years in a row is good and now that he is older father/son vacations are going to switch to hunting adventures. We can do some cool stuff for what F1 costs. Lots of other motorsports to get him to like NEFR, Lime Rock etc.

Tips from this year off the top of my head, take your own water and snacks. Food was expensive at the track, and some places did not take AMEX so take a second card. Get out of your seat and explore but enjoy the other race series.

ABOVE ALL, BUY AND BRING GOOD WATERPROOF WALKING SHOES AND A GOOD RAIN JACKET!!!!!!  My ass had gotten rained on 2 years in a row and the first year my son has a nice and expensive Ferrari sweatshirt from 2022. Also buy a butt cushion or stadium seat because the bleachers get cold and hard.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 5:53:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wouldn’t be suprised if RB broke it again due to organizational inertia. Remember the 2021 penalties came late in 2022. So if they were on a similar financial plan in 2022, would they have been able to make enough changes rapidly to avoid going over again if they believed they were fine from 2021 and then getting a shock.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 5:56:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Really don't want to see a chicane at Eau Rouge like the 1994 season.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 6:02:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I wouldn’t be suprised if RB broke it again due to organizational inertia. Remember the 2021 penalties came late in 2022. So if they were on a similar financial plan in 2022, would they have been able to make enough changes rapidly to avoid going over again if they believed they were fine from 2021 and then getting a shock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

FWIW:

Christian Horner has revealed Red Bull were "several million" below the F1 cost cap in 2022, amid ongoing fieldwork from the FIA into last year's financial submissions from the teams.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 7:18:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

FWIW:

View Quote

Horner was also very confident they were below the 2021 cost cap. Don’t get me wrong I’m a RB fan but I’m anticipating the worst.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I would believe it's very limited on what good R&D you'll get elsewhere within an organization like that.
Even Alpine and Ferrari, who have WEC programs which would seem a logical place to develop their racecar tech, would be of very limited benefit to F1.
The entire chassis/aero is apples and oranges. The suspension designs are very different, as is the braking system. The PU's are different.
Hell, each of those cars (F1 and WEC) are designed for completely different parameters of competition.

About the only thing I can think of that might benefit from some crossover is some of the electrical systems. Maybe some of the regenerative
charging and whatnot.
I'm not of the opinion that F1 teams are really hiding R&D in these other programs, not to any meaningful degree. At most, it gives them a place
to train up engineers and other staff if they need to pull from their own employee pool to fill spots in the F1 department.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

charging and whatnot.

The “loophole” they recently tried to close is “research” when developing limited production customer cars.

For instance, a vehicle can be designed for track use only offering a Formula 1 experience (ground effects). None of the ground effects research on the project would be under the cap and it wouldn’t be fixed to any racing body regulations (WEC). You could go down any research path in the name of improving “customer experience”.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 10:42:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

As a massive car manufacturing company, couldn’t Mercedes easily hide R&D spending in the AMG Division or elsewhere?  Or does the cost cap not limit R&D?
View Quote

At this point Merc Proper has little to do with the Merc F1 team.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 10:44:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The "loophole" they recently tried to close is "research" when developing limited production customer cars.

For instance, a vehicle can be designed for track use only offering a Formula 1 experience (ground effects). None of the ground effects research on the project would be under the cap and it wouldn't be fixed to any racing body regulations (WEC). You could go down any research path in the name of improving "customer experience".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

charging and whatnot.

The "loophole" they recently tried to close is "research" when developing limited production customer cars.

For instance, a vehicle can be designed for track use only offering a Formula 1 experience (ground effects). None of the ground effects research on the project would be under the cap and it wouldn't be fixed to any racing body regulations (WEC). You could go down any research path in the name of improving "customer experience".

It is just a tiny bit fishy that both Aston Martin and Mercedes recently designed track-only hypercars that are "very similar to the performance of an F1 car".
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 11:06:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Kind of long, but funny as hell.

F1 2023 Austrian GP MEME RECAP
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 11:18:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It is just a tiny bit fishy that both Aston Martin and Mercedes recently designed track-only hypercars that are "very similar to the performance of an F1 car".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

charging and whatnot.

To be fair, both the Valkyrie and One were developed well before the budget cap went into place. The Valkyrie was also really a Newey project pre Stroll when AM were a Red Bull sponsor.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 12:34:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Dude, the non Newtonian fluid was a joke by Scarbs @scarbstech. I hope you’re joking, or else you’re extremely gullible.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/500232/IMG_9350_png-2898685.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/500232/IMG_9351_png-2898693.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting analysis (in italian) showing the real potential of the RB-19

Look at the rpm when max did his 1.20.5 in hard tires when everybody else was at best at 1.22.3-6 .

He must have been real bored to purposely show this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzFGyIuVMHY

In the comments someone thinks one of their secret is using non Newtonian fluids in the suspensions/shock absorber that can be interacted with, to change their properly, allowing some new form of active suspension.

In fact, if you look at the RB-19 she has very little pitch or roll movements on track, and can be extremely low where it needs, while being 100% legal while coming back at the pits.

And apparently, there is absolutely no rules about the fluid used in the suspensions/shock absorbers.

The Rb-19 is compared to the Williams FW15C in the way it operates. Another gem from newey

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/500232/IMG_9350_png-2898685.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/500232/IMG_9351_png-2898693.JPG

Oil is non-Newtonian, in particular, it thickens up under pressure. So RB is likely using a non-Newtonian fluid in their dampers/shocks.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 3:49:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 7:22:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Congrats to Max on his Belgian GP victory from 6th on the grid!

He'll probably still start ahead of Perez too lol
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 8:13:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thats interesting, I don't think they've really said much about him taking new gearboxes.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 8:20:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nothing to see here, move along.

Good for them though.  If you ain’t cheatin, you ain’t tryin
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 8:34:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Well...SPA's weather is looking like its going to be a shit show.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 8:46:00 AM EDT
[#50]
The outcome of an F1 Commission meeting held earlier today has been published in the past few minutes.

The biggest update is the decision to postpone the planned dry tyre blanket ban by at least another year - with a statement saying discussion and further testing will continue "into 2025".

On the subject of power unit parity, the Commission also said there was "one such notable performance gap between competitors" and that it "discussed ways to remedy this discrepancy". Alpine (or Renault) is the competitor in question
View Quote
Page / 248
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top