User Panel

Page / 82
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:15:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:17:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Surf report on WB this morning is fucking dogshit. The cosmos is telling me something. Time to unass this AO and seek higher ground. Reckon that means the QC because FL will be cut off from NC from eastern GA and SC flooding. No better option seems available to me as of right now.
View Quote
Glad you're getting out.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:19:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Something tells me I'm gonna be working on the new book a WHOLE LOT over the next week or two...
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:21:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Even if you are inland enough to avoid the direct water/wind damage of the Hurricane itself, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have some preps ready. Katrina spun off tornadoes that did their own damage away from the coast and knocked out power for many. We started running out of gas as far north as Memphis due to the demand from those evacuating and those going in to help.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:21:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Here are images of how the projected path has changed in the last 24 hours.  The storm is still 42 hours away from the projected landfall.  The path can still change but with the size of the storm the majorly affected areas is pretty well known at this point.  With the current path and expected storm surge some of the areas of NC will no longer exist, at least not it its current form.  It will be much easier to leave and come back to rebuild then anything else.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:21:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm now disappointed that DC isn't going to get fucked my Florence.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:25:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm now disappointed that DC isn't going to get fucked my Florence.
View Quote
According to people on this forum Myrtle Beach has become a cesspool...it looks like that might get a good washing.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:26:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

According to people on this forum Myrtle Beach has become a cesspool...it looks like that might get a good washing.  
View Quote
is it bike week or urban bike week?
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:29:24 AM EDT
[#9]
It is a sign of the end times when many people running from the path of a hurricane goes to Florida.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:29:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Myrtle beach largely is. My parents are about a half hour north along the coast and now in the direct path with this latest shift.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:30:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
12 miles inland is pretty much 'near the coast'.

After Katrina, (which came ashore as a Cat 3), the damage extended roughly 60 miles inland and thousands of pine trees were snapped off ~20' above ground all the way inland to Hattiesburg, MS. Closer to the coast, power poles were snapped off. There was no power for a couple of weeks. The roads were blocked by debris making travel nearly impossible without getting out with a chainsaw and cutting the trees out of the road.

When we got to Bay St. Louis, the surge had come in about 30' deep in the bay. There used to be a railroad bridge over the bay to Henderson point...the rails were extending about 200' from the shore and were twisted up like pretzels. It was a happy place.
https://www.sacbee.com/opinion/california-forum/j5au0n/picture31469016/alternates/LANDSCAPE_1140/Katrina%201
http://www.schlatter.org/images/Katrina/Bay%20St%20Louis/railroad%20bridge%20annotated.jpg
This storm is forecast to be worse. You won't get surge that far inland, but the wind and flooding will be epic.

YMMV. I'd leave.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the serious answer. I don't live near the coast and have never been through a hurricane, so I genuinely wanted to better understand it. Sounds like staying that close is pretty risky.
12 miles inland is pretty much 'near the coast'.

After Katrina, (which came ashore as a Cat 3), the damage extended roughly 60 miles inland and thousands of pine trees were snapped off ~20' above ground all the way inland to Hattiesburg, MS. Closer to the coast, power poles were snapped off. There was no power for a couple of weeks. The roads were blocked by debris making travel nearly impossible without getting out with a chainsaw and cutting the trees out of the road.

When we got to Bay St. Louis, the surge had come in about 30' deep in the bay. There used to be a railroad bridge over the bay to Henderson point...the rails were extending about 200' from the shore and were twisted up like pretzels. It was a happy place.
https://www.sacbee.com/opinion/california-forum/j5au0n/picture31469016/alternates/LANDSCAPE_1140/Katrina%201
http://www.schlatter.org/images/Katrina/Bay%20St%20Louis/railroad%20bridge%20annotated.jpg
This storm is forecast to be worse. You won't get surge that far inland, but the wind and flooding will be epic.

YMMV. I'd leave.
@balu - it should be a no brainer to leave a location like that.  The windfield would risk lives if on a direct path.  That's one of those situations where the people should leave simply because they're considering not leaving.  They obviously don't have the experience or a clear mind with which to make decisions like these.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:30:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
People are scum.

Even If I have to live out of my truck, my dog will be with me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know many folks won't give a shit but for Pete's sake if you have to evac, take your pets with you.  I just read where people are cutting their dogs and cats loose before they bug out, because they're staying at a hotel and don't want to pay extra for them.
People are scum.

FFS, pets are family too!
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:39:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It is a sign of the end times when many people running from the path of a hurricane goes to Florida.
View Quote

Arfwidsom.

Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:40:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Myrtle beach largely is. My parents are about a half hour north along the coast and now in the direct path with this latest shift.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cherry Grove?
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:40:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Notice how the difference between 48 hours out and 72 hours out is very little.  That is an unusually long period of time for a hurricane to stall and sit right offshore

This time tomorrow, the danger zones will likely be experiencing TS force winds.  The window is fast approaching where a successful bugout is not certain due to downed trees, traffic, hotel vacancy, and gas shortages.  Today is the time to leave, not tomorrow:

Anyone on the fence, get moving ASAP.  These things suck to sit through, especially with random tornadoes spouting off everywhere.  There is too much weather happening at once for the meteorologists to accurately call out tornado threats, assuming communications networks are operational in the first place.

Good luck everyone! Prayers out.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:41:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Something tells me I'm gonna be working on the new book a WHOLE LOT over the next week or two...
View Quote
At least we get SOMETHING good from this.

Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know many folks won't give a shit but for Pete's sake if you have to evac, take your pets with you.  I just read where people are cutting their dogs and cats loose before they bug out, because they're staying at a hotel and don't want to pay extra for them.
People are scum.

You darn right!
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:43:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The post above yours mentions people in.columbia freaking out.

This is what I was referring to. While Columbia and the other cities far inland will get rain, tornadoes, power outages, etc, it's nowhere near what happens right on the coast.

The logistics of evacuation every state in it's entirety on the Eastern seaboard is more dangerous than just staying where you are and learning to deal with it. For one thing it makes it more likely the coastal folks will have the resources to evacuate.

People are suggesting evacuation for inland folks just to avoid a power outage. These things have happened with no warning at all. For instance many years ago there was a tropical storm or something and horrific flooding where my friends live near Asheville NC. There were roads closed for months. The flooding was epic for some people.

This came out of nowhere. Now people are suggesting everyone leave entire states. If you could quantitate misery and compare the evacuation misery to what happens when there is a surprise storm misery which would be worse?

It's possible, and very likely, that inland people will survive just fine if they use common sense. The hysteria (for some) is worse than the storm.

This is exactly what I was talking about in my first post. Not people on the coast, not people that live on a river, but the people in places like raliegh and Columbia that are overreacting.

It's possible to go a few days without power. Even with kids. We did it when I was a kid many times. I guess because my parents acted like grown ups the fear didn't transfer to me.

Power could go out at any time for any reason, people should be prepared for that regardless of if there is a storm on the way.

I should post a pic of the time out street flooded. Water covered the mailbox. There was no hurricane, just a poorly timed rainstorm.

The media hysteria is making people panic in places where they should not be panicking. By the time they drive to New Mexico and back the power will be back on. The angst from sitting in traffic will be worse than sitting in your chair listening to a battery powered radio in front of your battery powered fan.
View Quote
My post was just in jest, last cane every shit bird from up north to the mid west was posting stupid shit like that.
The same fucks have flooded GD with HVAC threads since july.
Like you AC, no power are not world ending events to me. Will it suck sleeping in a 85f house with high humidty. Yup..
But i wont die from it.
The problem is people are spoiled.
Plain and simple.

The media along with fresh implants cause the biggest mass exodus from south florida ive seen in years during last years cane.

So much so that the effects to traffic patterns and logistics were felt 40-60 miles inland from the evac routes....
Thats what folks ignore.
" oh were safe here 50 miles inland.." then they get no power...theres no gas because everyone evacing sucked it dry. Along with food goods.
My area last year stayed flooded for months after...

This hurricane is big and strong. But its not going to be full blown mad max 100 miles inland.
Im numb to it all really as ive lived in florida my whole life...its just an event you get used to...pray your shit doesnt get pushed in. Wake up rebuild and keep going.

Folks in costal areas staying need to really rethink thier plans if they are in the storms way.
Others need to prep, bug out or roll the dice and ride it out.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:44:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Of course, TWC and the Dems, including the Dem governor of NC, are saying stuff like "historic, never been seen before" and other "climate change" bullshit.

Yes, it's dangerous and is to be taken seriously, but damn this politicizing of everything weather related.

NWS: "Storm of a lifetime"..........what????????????

The mayor of Wilmington just threw it back in their faces when the gal asked him had he ever seen a storm like this and he replied that Diana did the same thing they are talking about and they had seen as much or more water as they are blabbering about.

It kinda flustered her.............
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:45:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Asking for a friend. They are 12 miles inland off of Myrtle Beach. I know I'm safe in Alabama.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not bad at all for Alabama. (for this storm)
Asking for a friend. They are 12 miles inland off of Myrtle Beach. I know I'm safe in Alabama.
I like to put things in local perspective. Living in Wi, if Lake Michigan was the gulf, the area of devastation during Katrina would extend to the Dells. People here were complaining about how long it was taking to get to New Orleans until they realized what it would take to get from the Dells to the lake on blocked or washed out roads.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:47:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
As you should be! Your book and then the zero bunker podcast has put me on a SOG kick recently.
I need more 5 sec claymores in my life.

@RTUtah
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:51:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You darn right!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
People are scum.

You darn right!
I’d hope you’d still put your real family before your animal “family” though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:53:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Any looting articles out there yet?
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:00:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Notice how the difference between 48 hours out and 72 hours out is very little.  That is an unusually long period of time for a hurricane to stall and sit right offshore

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/storminfo/06L_tracks_latest.png

This time tomorrow, the danger zones will likely be experiencing TS force winds.  The window is fast approaching where a successful bugout is not certain due to downed trees, traffic, hotel vacancy, and gas shortages.  Today is the time to leave, not tomorrow:

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT06/refresh/AL062018_earliest_reasonable_toa_no_wsp_34+png/092830_earliest_reasonable_toa_no_wsp_34.png

Anyone on the fence, get moving ASAP.  These things suck to sit through, especially with random tornadoes spouting off everywhere.  There is too much weather happening at once for the meteorologists to accurately call out tornado threats, assuming communications networks are operational in the first place.

View Quote
That last CEM2 dot is over my house in the first graphic. I'm not too worried, but we are known for crazy wind here and I'm on the Potomac River which is already flooded.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:02:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That last CEM2 dot is over my house in the first graphic. I'm not too worried, but we are known for crazy wind here and I'm on the Potomac River which is already flooded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT06/refresh/AL062018_earliest_reasonable_toa_no_wsp_34+png/092830_earliest_reasonable_toa_no_wsp_34.png

If it takes that track it won't be much more than a wet fart by the time it gets there.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:02:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Even if you are inland enough to avoid the direct water/wind damage of the Hurricane itself, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have some preps ready. Katrina spun off tornadoes that did their own damage away from the coast and knocked out power for many. We started running out of gas as far north as Memphis due to the demand from those evacuating and those going in to help.
View Quote
I'm in Greenville, SC. I went and filled up all my 5gal gas cans last night. I'll be double checking the generator and chain saw today. My wife called up her sister (nearby) and asked about their preps. Both cars on empty, lots of trees but no generator or chain saw, empty refrigerator, my SIL says "maybe we'll get some gas tomorrow." Some people.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:08:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Figures that as soon as I rented a trailer and bought 300lbs of propane for the generator this bitch would go somewhere else. You're welcome Virginia.
View Quote
I spent $150.00 on stuff yesterday I don't think will be needed now but.....Winter Is Coming.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:10:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fourth dot you can see on that track is over my house.

Let’s not take that track, ok Flo?

Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:11:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Just got tagged into a meeting with the USPSIS.

I'll be documenting our recovery efforts down there, probably leaving Monday morning.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:11:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Good luck everyone in the path of this bitch. Stay safe.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:12:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
People are scum.

Shit, I like my pets more than some of my family!
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:13:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:14:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

As you should be! Your book and then the zero bunker podcast has put me on a SOG kick recently.
I need more 5 sec claymores in my life.

@RTUtah
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:17:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Anybody in upstate sc, home depot on wade Hampton in greer had at least 10 6500w generators as of 7am this morning.  Everybody else was cleared out of gens and chainsaws.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:19:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Anybody in upstate sc, home depot on wade Hampton in greer had at least 10 6500w generators as of 7am this morning.  Everybody else was cleared out of gens and chainsaws.
View Quote
I'll check Ebay and see if its worth upgrading my generator after the storm.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:19:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'm in Greenville, SC. I went and filled up all my 5gal gas cans last night. I'll be double checking the generator and chain saw today. My wife called up her sister (nearby) and asked about their preps. Both cars on empty, lots of trees but no generator or chain saw, empty refrigerator, my SIL says "maybe we'll get some gas tomorrow." Some people.
View Quote
I bet they are planning on coming to your house.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:20:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
I’m in Virginia Beach and very nervous for all the folks south of me, but the way they make these maps is completely irresponsible.  NOAA out there acting like Oprah. You get tropical storm force winds. And you get tropical storm force winds. Everyone gets tropical storm force winds.

I dont want to take away from the world of hurt some folks will be in, but Kentucky, you won’t be getting tropical storm winds. The amount of overreaction in places that don’t need to be that concerned is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:20:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Don't forget peanut butter.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:25:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Watching the live feed at Wrightsville Beach shows terrible surfing conditions, but some are dedicated lol
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:25:49 AM EDT
[#40]
We bugged out of New Bern at 0400 this morning and are going to my dad's place near Marion, NC.

We have already made it to Hickory.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:25:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Along with their four kids.  I'll put them up in a tent under the deck.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:27:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Went to get some Tums this morning and Publix on Hardscrabble Rd had a bunch of water, bottled and jugs.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:30:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
We bugged out of New Bern at 0400 this morning and are going to my dad's place near Marion, NC.

We have already made it to Hickory.
View Quote
That's making some good time.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:32:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. Yep.  Fuel, ice, and water were in high demand across the whole state.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:35:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Bugging out within the hour, leaving our little coastal cottage down east of Beaufort NC and  heading to blowing rock.

Keep safe brothers...............
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:35:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Man!  All you guys posting maps and saying your house is where the dot is are blowing your Arf-Persec.  You’re makin’ it too easy for the Antifas and the Dems to find you!

Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:36:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Its blatently obvious and has been in the past...they have no fucking idea what these storms will do or where they will go.

They can only know for sure its general direction.  Once this bitch starts getting over the gulfstream or touching land there is no telling what/where and why Flo will do.  It could go from Myrtle Beach to Oregon Inlet as far as land fall is concerned.

Spun a quarter on the table infront of you and touch it on one side.   Unpredictable.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:39:42 AM EDT
[#48]
I guess this puts me more likely on the north side of the storm, that's bad right?
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:41:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Man!  All you guys posting maps and saying your house is where the dot is are blowing your Arf-Persec.  You’re makin’ it too easy for the Antifas and the Dems to find you!

View Quote
If Antifa comes to my neck of the woods and starts crap in west Lincoln County/north Cleveland County, they will have bigger problems than they try to create for me.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:41:51 AM EDT
[#50]
We're making preps here in NE TN, not for the storm itself, but for the flood of evacuees that may be seeking a place to stay. They're going to need gas to get back home, so we're filling our tanks now.

Quoted:
View Quote
Hope you have a generator -- or one of these:

Page / 82
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top