BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 82
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:42:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm in Greenville, SC. I went and filled up all my 5gal gas cans last night. I'll be double checking the generator and chain saw today. My wife called up her sister (nearby) and asked about their preps. Both cars on empty, lots of trees but no generator or chain saw, empty refrigerator, my SIL says "maybe we'll get some gas tomorrow." Some people.
View Quote
The Greenville members are coming out of the woodwork in this thread

It does look like we might get more of that rainy edge of the storm.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:44:18 AM EDT
[#2]
My hospital sent 4 ambulances and task force teams towards the area. I am in N.W. Tennessee. I have family in the path if it goes towards Eat TN and N.W. Georgia. And we saw Katrina effects and weather here. Also hotels where full. So I am thinking we will see some of the same again. I hope gas shortages do not happen this far West but I am preparing for it. My gas inventory is below 50 gallons on hand.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:45:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Even if you are inland enough to avoid the direct water/wind damage of the Hurricane itself, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have some preps ready. Katrina spun off tornadoes that did their own damage away from the coast and knocked out power for many. We started running out of gas as far north as Memphis due to the demand from those evacuating and those going in to help.
View Quote
It's never a bad idea to have emergency preps ready.  And why people go through this every single time is beyond me.  Buy the stuff, pack it away and leave it alone if you don't need it.  Someday you will... and you won't have to fight the crowds at the Quick-E-Mart for the last case of bottled water.

Except for perishable food and other items that we rotate through, my winter blizzard preps are comfortably tucked away in the basement and other storage areas.  As are those for tornadoes, power outages, cyberattacks, contagious epidemics, earthquakes, asteroid impacts, economic collapse, and solar flares/CME's.  Because it's all the same stuff.  And it's permanent.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:46:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I often chuckle at the genorator thing.

People, you don't need a genny unless you have the money to get a big 220 job that will run your AC, hot water or stove.

Lights, TV and a refrigerator  are really all you get.  Well I don't "need" either of those.  I can cook on a burner. I don't have a freezer full of $$$ of meat and can cook off what thaws.

You need, gas in your cars, gutters that are cleaned out and if it is really bad, a chainsaw after the storm passes and then only to clear your AO enough to allow you to get out if needed.

Your homeowner's insurance will cover the tree problem if you have any and the pros can do it much quicker than you ever will and it does not have to be done the day after the storm unless once again it is a safety concern.

If you are near an area affected by storm surge, GTFO.  That will be your biggest risk on the direct coast.

The loss of power is an inconvenience for most people.  If I had to pump my water out of a well or sump my sewage it would a slightly different view for me.  My municipal water comes from a tower, which is fed by pumps with back up power and my sewer is a septic tank in my yard.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:49:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Richard Burr on FNC: FEMA is estimating over 100,000 permanently displaced from the hurricane.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:50:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't "need" my generators, but if I can have some electric lights on, my perishable food kept at food safe temps, my router up and computer /TV on....

I am going to be far more comfortable than all of my neighbors.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:53:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

People, you don't need a genny unless you have the money to get a big 220 job that will run your AC, hot water or stove.

Lights, TV and a refrigerator  are really all you get.  Well I don't "need" either of those.  I can cook on a burner. I don't have a freezer full of $$$ of meat and can cook off what thaws.

You need, gas in your cars, gutters that are cleaned out and if it is really bad, a chainsaw after the storm passes and then only to clear your AO enough to allow you to get out if needed.

Your homeowner's insurance will cover the tree problem if you have any and the pros can do it much quicker than you ever will and it does not have to be done the day after the storm unless once again it is a safety concern.

If you are near an area affected by storm surge, GTFO.  That will be your biggest risk on the direct coast.

The loss of power is an inconvenience for most people.  If I had to pump my water out of a well or sump my sewage it would a slightly different view for me.  My municipal water comes from a tower, which is fed by pumps with back up power and my sewer is a septic tank in my yard.
View Quote
I call BS.

This has served me well...

Attachment Attached File

Runs the router, APs, TV, a couple of lamps, a fan (or a small heater), a sump pump (if necessary) and a dorm sized fridge. It also keeps all phones/devices charged. Having those items up and running is a night and day difference vs. not having them during a power outage (especially if you have kids).
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:54:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't "need" my generators, but if I can have some electric lights on, my perishable food kept at food safe temps, my router up and computer /TV on....

View Quote
Id suggest not looking too fat and happy, good chance you get cased for looting /robbed,

Limit lights at nite, limit generator running, esp at nite , that sound will carry.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:55:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I call BS.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/EU2000i-669071.JPG

Runs the router, APs, TV, a couple of lamps, a fan and a dorm sized fridge. It also keeps all phones/devices charged. Having those items up and running is a night and day difference vs. not having them during a power outage (especially if you have kids).
View Quote
When i worked cable company, we tested those to run our backup systems, we couldnt kill it , very good gen set
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:56:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Video update from Joe Bastardi. He thinks the European model is correct.
Video is in link, scroll down, it's the one on the left. (Can't link it, sorry.)
WeatherBELL

Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:56:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm in Greenville, SC. I went and filled up all my 5gal gas cans last night. I'll be double checking the generator and chain saw today. My wife called up her sister (nearby) and asked about their preps. Both cars on empty, lots of trees but no generator or chain saw, empty refrigerator, my SIL says "maybe we'll get some gas tomorrow." Some people.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:00:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yup.  There's a difference between "survival" and "preparedness".  Being prepared means survival... as comfortably and with as little deviation from a normal routine as possible.  And even a little power can go a long way... even if you can only power a fridge or a chest freezer for a few minutes every day, it can be enough to keep everything in there from going to waste.

My generators have been very useful during any power outage lasting more than a couple of hours.  No ragrets.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:01:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Someone mentioned this earlier......

Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:07:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Absolutely incredible and terrifying.

Stay safe guys.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:07:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Id suggest not looking too fat and happy, good chance you get cased for looting /robbed,

Limit lights at nite, limit generator running, esp at nite , that sound will carry.
View Quote
While I certainly won't flaunt it, I am in a quite "tucked up" corner of my neighborhood and several people are prepped on my street.  All the neighbors are good people and I am not worried about them.  If n'er-do-wells come into the neighborhood for a looting party, I don't know if they would make it to my house before being cut down like dogs.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:07:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:10:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Things are getting a little more serious in my AO.  This is the track as of this morning. I'm the blue dot.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/337946/Screenshot_20180912-080628-669030.png
View Quote
You're fine. You may get downed trees and tornadoes. Maybe electrical outage.  You might miss a few days of work. Just don't go out driving around.

If you can't withstand the news of a hurricane and you live in Lexington you might not have the resolve it takes to live in the east.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:10:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's never a bad idea to have emergency preps ready.  And why people go through this every single time is beyond me.  Buy the stuff, pack it away and leave it alone if you don't need it.  Someday you will... and you won't have to fight the crowds at the Quick-E-Mart for the last case of bottled water.

Except for perishable food and other items that we rotate through, my winter blizzard preps are comfortably tucked away in the basement and other storage areas.  As are those for tornadoes, power outages, cyberattacks, contagious epidemics, earthquakes, asteroid impacts, economic collapse, and solar flares/CME's.  Because it's all the same stuff.  And it's permanent.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Even if you are inland enough to avoid the direct water/wind damage of the Hurricane itself, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have some preps ready. Katrina spun off tornadoes that did their own damage away from the coast and knocked out power for many. We started running out of gas as far north as Memphis due to the demand from those evacuating and those going in to help.

Where I live, the major threat (other then rampant liberalism) is earthquakes.
You don't get a 24-48 hour window to prepare for those.

If you aren't prepared ahead of time you are just shit outta luck.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:11:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
You should have preps ready already. Storms and outages can happen anytime.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

While I certainly won't flaunt it, I am in a quite "tucked up" corner of my neighborhood and several people are prepped on my street.  All the neighbors are good people and I am not worried about them.  If n'er-do-wells come into the neighborhood for a looting party, I don't know if they would make it to my house before being cut down like dogs.
View Quote
Need to watch Twilight Zone - The Shelter. Lol
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:15:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I guess this puts me more likely on the north side of the storm, that's bad right?
View Quote
Yes. Northern edges are usually the leading edges of these storms and pack the most surge and winds with hard onshore flow.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:17:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The Greenville members are coming out of the woodwork in this thread

It does look like we might get more of that rainy edge of the storm.
View Quote
Well when the path changes as much as it has, it is to be expected.  Haha.  Gassed up all the vehicles last night plus  another 10 gal. In cans. Got a chainsaw and gen ready to go.  Hopefully won't need them, but.....
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:17:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
We bugged out of New Bern at 0400 this morning and are going to my dad's place near Marion, NC.

We have already made it to Hickory.
View Quote
I hope you're not stopping there, Hickory is well... rough
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:19:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, who needs safe food storage, the ability to see in the dark and a way to charge a phone or radio?
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:22:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Jesus Christ... it's not The Road.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:22:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Make sure you chain it up.  Gensets are the first things stolen in disasters after bigscreens, sneakers and Heineken.

8nBAIT
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:23:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Here in central FL, breezes are coming decidedly from the NE.  Yesterday was just puffs, but today it is steady.  Best wishes for all of you in the path.

My gut says Savannah, GA.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:24:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Well when the path changes as much as it has, it is to be expected.  Haha.  Gassed up all the vehicles last night plus  another 10 gal. In cans. Got a chainsaw and gen ready to go.  Hopefully won't need them, but.....
View Quote
If you need any help when it does hit or if your hood gets shitty, let me know!
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:24:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I don't have a freezer full of $$ of meat and can cook off what thaws.
View Quote

Some of us do.  Some of us have a freezer with several hundred rodents in it (snake food).  I am not explaining to a hungry 15 foot python that sorry, you are not eating for a month because I was stupid and didn't get a backup generator for the freezer that held your rabbits.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:25:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Says a guy that has his water pumped and shit pumped by a state municipality.

Bad advice Sir!
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:25:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
You never can trust people. If they feel they need something more than you, they will try to take it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:30:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol, It's like everyone here lives in the worst ghetto imaginable. If you do your research before buying a house, you can end up in a good neighborhood. I love my neighborhood. We are all on a first name basis.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:30:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You never can trust people. If they feel they need something more than you, they will try to take it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do realize this a firearms, not a yoga forum?  I think he'll be ok with his generator running at night.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:31:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

If you need any help when it does hit or if your hood gets shitty, let me know!
View Quote
Will do.  Not particularly concerned about riff raff,  but if things get sporty you are on speed dial.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:32:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need better neighbors. If mine needed something I'd try to help meet that need. They'd do the same for me.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:36:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Just got tagged into a meeting with the USPSIS.

I'll be documenting our recovery efforts down there, probably leaving Monday morning.
View Quote
Shouldn't you be in New Zealand ?

@bulldog1967
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:36:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:38:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Shouldn't you be in New Zealand ?

@bulldog1967
View Quote
Going there in November.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:39:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I spent $150.00 on stuff yesterday I don't think will be needed now but.....Winter Is Coming.
View Quote
I bought extra water, gas, and some MREs. All of it will still be used. Gas into the boat/lawn equipment, water to work, and MREs for camping.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:41:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
lol, It's like everyone here lives in the worst ghetto imaginable. If you do your research before buying a house, you can end up in a good neighborhood. I love my neighborhood. We are all on a first name basis.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, I'm surrounded by Amish.
Doubt they'll notice.

Funny thing though:
The county is providing free sand and bags at locations all over the county. Piles of people grossly overloading their vehicles. Lots of Amish piling up their carts.
Bet they go a mile down the road, pull over and put a FOR SALE sign up.

In extreme southern MD.
Chesapeake Bay on one side, Potmac and Patuxent rivers on other 2 sides. Doesn't take much water getting pushed up to have some flooding.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:41:43 AM EDT
[#42]
I want to thank the people constantly posting the weather maps and current information in this thread. Its been very helpful to me to have it consolidated in one place as I plan for both myself and preparations at work.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:42:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Here in central FL, breezes are coming decidedly from the NE.  Yesterday was just puffs, but today it is steady.  Best wishes for all of you in the path.

My gut says Savannah, GA.
View Quote
I hope your gut is wrong. Nobody here is really preparing for it so if it shifts this way there will be a last minute panic run on everything and the roads will be a mess.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Doesn't even need to spell generator correctly.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:43:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Some of us do.  Some of us have a freezer with several hundred rodents in it (snake food).  I am not explaining to a hungry 15 foot python that sorry, you are not eating for a month because I was stupid and didn't get a backup generator for the freezer that held your rabbits.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't have a freezer full of $$ of meat and can cook off what thaws.
Some of us don't have our lives dictated to us by a future pair of fancy boots.  

Just kidding.

But yeah, if you make the commitment to live with a deadly predator that might kill you if you forget to feed it, I can see how keeping a good supply might be important.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:44:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Well, the center of the cone is now scheduled to pass just to the south of Tryon, North Carolina where they are having the World Equestrian Games this week and next.

They were expecting 500,000 visitors.  Parking in fields, etc. Facilities largely incomplete with grooms from around the world staying in tents. I expect it will look like Woodstock by Monday.

https://tryon2018.com/

https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/weg-2018-tryon-grooms-tents-664162
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:44:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I call BS.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/EU2000i-669071.JPG

Runs the router, APs, TV, a couple of lamps, a fan (or a small heater), a sump pump (if necessary) and a dorm sized fridge. It also keeps all phones/devices charged. Having those items up and running is a night and day difference vs. not having them during a power outage (especially if you have kids).
View Quote
I agree.

Try two weeks without power in Sept (last year --- tx Irma) and + two weeks the previous year (Oct -- courtesy of Matt)

I was Damn glad to have my genny running fans, lights, two frigs, a mircowave, toaster oven, am/fm radio, ect, ect.

Now that I X'd the cable and put a TV antenna up I can add that to the list.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#48]
I am located near the Wrightsville Beach draw bridge (Wilmington)
I have to say I have not watched a ounce of tv coverage — the hype, scare tactics, warnings
This hurricane has been far less stressful than the past ones when I eagerly watched, followed the newscasts etc.
I recommend it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Sitting here in VA with a Uhaul trailer full of my garage contents since my waterfront garage likes to flood with the smallest storm surge.

I can load and go or stay with 240lbs of propane for my generator and another 20 gallons of fuel for my EU2000i knockoff. 20 cases of water and then 15gallons in water cooler jugs for my dogs. 4 chainsaws and enough climbing gear to get myself into a ton of trouble.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:53:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I want to thank the people constantly posting the weather maps and current information in this thread. Its been very helpful to me to have it consolidated in one place as I plan for both myself and preparations at work.
View Quote
Hell yeah, this. It's faster and easier for me to check this thread than to search around different weather apps for the most updated information. Thanks guys.
Page / 82
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top