BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 82
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hell yeah, this. It's faster and easier for me to check this thread than to search around different weather apps for the most updated information. Thanks guys.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want to thank the people constantly posting the weather maps and current information in this thread. Its been very helpful to me to have it consolidated in one place as I plan for both myself and preparations at work.
Hell yeah, this. It's faster and easier for me to check this thread than to search around different weather apps for the most updated information. Thanks guys.

Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:00:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want to thank the people constantly posting the weather maps and current information in this thread. Its been very helpful to me to have it consolidated in one place as I plan for both myself and preparations at work.
Definitely. I was just thinking this.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:03:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:06:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:08:10 AM EDT
[#5]
TOUGH LOVE time for those of you that have family and friends riding this out on the coast.

Tell them if their home and belongings are going to be destroyed, them being home IS NOT going to stop that.  Get out now, and we'll sort this stuff out as a community when it's over like we always do.

Be safe brothers and sisters!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:08:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not true. If you are going to say something as a fact, try to know the facts from personal experience. When you repeat something that someone told you, thats scuttlebutt.
View Quote
the refusal of aid unless the puerto ricans were given control of the materials, was what was told to me by some of the puerto ricans that worked disaster relief with me, while I was there

why would you dispute it?
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:09:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I know it's been said, but the new track prediction is troublesome.

The NE section could pass over my mothers home In Cherry Grove.  She bugged out but losing her home at 90 would suck.  I know she's worried.

I'm a bit worried about the rain we may get inland too
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:10:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am located near the Wrightsville Beach draw bridge (Wilmington)
I have to say I have not watched a ounce of tv coverage — the hype, scare tactics, warnings
This hurricane has been far less stressful than the past ones when I eagerly watched, followed the newscasts etc.
I recommend it.
View Quote
His name was Bob.

Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:11:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm in Virginia Beach and very nervous for all the folks south of me, but the way they make these maps is completely irresponsible.  NOAA out there acting like Oprah. You get tropical storm force winds. And you get tropical storm force winds. Everyone gets tropical storm force winds.

I dont want to take away from the world of hurt some folks will be in, but Kentucky, you won't be getting tropical storm winds. The amount of overreaction in places that don't need to be that concerned is ridiculous.
View Quote
Thank you!!

GD gonna GD
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
the refusal of aid unless the puerto ricans were given control of the materials, was what was told to me by some of the puerto ricans that worked disaster relief with me, while I was there

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true. If you are going to say something as a fact, try to know the facts from personal experience. When you repeat something that someone told you, thats scuttlebutt.

I say cut them loose.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:16:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't "need" my generators, but if I can have some electric lights on, my perishable food kept at food safe temps, my router up and computer /TV on....

I am going to be far more comfortable than all of my neighbors.
View Quote
Yep, this man gets it. I like comfort and I'll be happy to get it with my generators regardless of gasoline costs.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:18:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm riding it out in New Bern.

I stopped at the Shell station across the street to top off the gas tank, and a woman in front of me filled up a 5-gallon plastic water carboy with gas, the type you flip upside down for an office water cooler.  She said she had 8 five gallon cans of gas at the house, but why not use the water jug.

You see some strange things leading up to a hurricane.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:20:11 AM EDT
[#14]
New models.  Again, look at the amount of distance between 48 hours and 72 hours with FLORENCE:

Compare that with the distance between 48 and 72 hours with KATRINA:

Hurricanes usually slow down after landfall, but that is not at all what's happening here.  Something atmospheric is expected to block it at the worst time - right before landfall.  Good news in that it should weaken moreso than they usually do, but that is offset by its overall strength in general.  Cat 5 to 4 sucks, Cat 4 to 3 still sucks.

It looks as though landfall will be anyone's guess right up until it happens.  It is a worst-case scenario in that the coast is shaped in such a way as to absorb the (most) destruction of the North and Northeast sides of the storm while it maintains strength over water.

The temporary stalling of the storm offshore will most likely produce rain, flooding, and flash floods well in excess of what has been predicted thus far, especially on that northern/NE part (NC mostly).  There may be people now at risk due to the excess rain who were safe before.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Model showing wave heights along the coast. (This doesn't include storm surge.)
NC - 39 ft.
SC - 26 ft.
GA - 19 ft.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:21:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Id suggest not looking too fat and happy, good chance you get cased for looting /robbed,

Limit lights at nite, limit generator running, esp at nite , that sound will carry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't "need" my generators, but if I can have some electric lights on, my perishable food kept at food safe temps, my router up and computer /TV on....

Id suggest not looking too fat and happy, good chance you get cased for looting /robbed,

Limit lights at nite, limit generator running, esp at nite , that sound will carry.
You can't possibly be serious.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:22:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless there are zombies in his AO lmfaooo
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:24:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:26:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
If power out for days and weeks, you dont think a noisy gen set and house lite up like christmas tree wont draw attention ?

Ppl can do what they want, id prefer low profile during disasters
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:27:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yup.  There's a difference between "survival" and "preparedness".  Being prepared means survival... as comfortably and with as little deviation from a normal routine as possible.  And even a little power can go a long way... even if you can only power a fridge or a chest freezer for a few minutes every day, it can be enough to keep everything in there from going to waste.

My generators have been very useful during any power outage lasting more than a couple of hours.  No ragrets.
View Quote
Generators cost money and need upkeep. Makes sense for some but for me it would be like renting a storage unit to store things less expensive than the storage unit.

I might reconsider someday. So far I have been throwing some dry ice in the chest freezer and made it through. I should probably get one of those small ones though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:28:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Good images here

This gif auto-updates every few minutes:

Nice BIG (5000x3000) satellite image from GOES16.  They do release new photos every 5 minutes.  Check out the URL and add or subtract 5 minutes to it to get more photos.

Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:30:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I stopped at the Shell station across the street to top off the gas tank, and a woman in front of me filled up a 5-gallon plastic water carboy with gas, the type you flip upside down for an office water cooler.  She said she had 8 five gallon cans of gas at the house, but why not use the water jug.

View Quote
You see some strange things after a hurricane as well.

Post Sandy, NY guy gets arrested in CT for filling up (or attempting to fill up) five gallon Home Depot buckets with gasoline...

NY Man Charged in Gas Hoarding Case
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:33:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yeah, who needs safe food storage, the ability to see in the dark and a way to charge a phone or radio?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I often chuckle at the genorator thing.

People, you don't need a genny unless you have the money to get a big 220 job that will run your AC, hot water or stove.

Lights, TV and a refrigerator  are really all you get.  Well I don't "need" either of those.  I can cook on a burner. I don't have a freezer full of $$$ of meat and can cook off what thaws.

You need, gas in your cars, gutters that are cleaned out and if it is really bad, a chainsaw after the storm passes and then only to clear your AO enough to allow you to get out if needed.

Your homeowner's insurance will cover the tree problem if you have any and the pros can do it much quicker than you ever will and it does not have to be done the day after the storm unless once again it is a safety concern.

If you are near an area affected by storm surge, GTFO.  That will be your biggest risk on the direct coast.

The loss of power is an inconvenience for most people.  If I had to pump my water out of a well or sump my sewage it would a slightly different view for me.  My municipal water comes from a tower, which is fed by pumps with back up power and my sewer is a septic tank in my yard.
Yeah, who needs safe food storage, the ability to see in the dark and a way to charge a phone or radio?
You can do most of those things without a generator. Plus you have to consider how often you may use it. Some people don't know they need a little upkeep.

I guess I'm not as dependent on the grid as some. I have enough batteries and headlamps to illuminate my house for weeks, I use them all the time. Same with my power cells for the phone.

I used to camp and backpack a lot, I still have that stuff. The worst thing is losing food but I can replace it all with the cost of a Genny.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:35:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Here in central FL, breezes are coming decidedly from the NE.  Yesterday was just puffs, but today it is steady.  Best wishes for all of you in the path.

My gut says Savannah, GA.
View Quote
It will turn before it hits us. We will definitely get some rain though.

Unfortunately all those people from Columbia and Kentucky will be taking up motel space and gas.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:36:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
NC - 39 ft.
SC - 26 ft.
GA - 19 ft.
View Quote
This is going to be the big story with this storm. Good thing is the week side of the storm is what will sit. It will still be 70MPH+ for 24 hours but these waves and the surge are going to just batter the coast for 24 hours.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:36:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Currently 12' waves and 30knot gusts at the data bouy +200Nmiles s of Cape Hatteras.

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=41002

Here is the link to all of NOAA's  offshore data buoys (usually wave and wind readings) and shore based (wind only) recording stations.

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov

Click on Atlantic tropical, zoom in, and select one of the yellow triangles. The Cane's track is on there, too.

Over the years I have found that TV and internet "whetherpeoples" often get too excited and dramatic to be useful during severe weather events.

Just give it to me straight.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:40:39 AM EDT
[#27]
The models really came into agreement this morning:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:41:45 AM EDT
[#28]
The liberals at work have already explained and educated me that Flo is a direct result of global warming which is a direct result of people being mean to nature...
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:41:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You can do most of those things without a generator. Plus you have to consider how often you may use it. Some people don't know they need a little upkeep.

I guess I'm not as dependent on the grid as some. I have enough batteries and headlamps to illuminate my house for weeks, I use them all the time. Same with my power cells for the phone.

I used to camp and backpack a lot, I still have that stuff. The worst thing is losing food but I can replace it all with the cost of a Genny.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I often chuckle at the genorator thing.

People, you don't need a genny unless you have the money to get a big 220 job that will run your AC, hot water or stove.

Lights, TV and a refrigerator  are really all you get.  Well I don't "need" either of those.  I can cook on a burner. I don't have a freezer full of $$$ of meat and can cook off what thaws.

You need, gas in your cars, gutters that are cleaned out and if it is really bad, a chainsaw after the storm passes and then only to clear your AO enough to allow you to get out if needed.

Your homeowner's insurance will cover the tree problem if you have any and the pros can do it much quicker than you ever will and it does not have to be done the day after the storm unless once again it is a safety concern.

If you are near an area affected by storm surge, GTFO.  That will be your biggest risk on the direct coast.

The loss of power is an inconvenience for most people.  If I had to pump my water out of a well or sump my sewage it would a slightly different view for me.  My municipal water comes from a tower, which is fed by pumps with back up power and my sewer is a septic tank in my yard.

Probably ten years ago we had a small storm that knocked the electricity out one morning.  My wife was pissed, because she couldn't use her hair dryer.  I said, "you know, if we had a little generator, you could dry your hair".

I bought the EU2000i, and it's seen me through a few power outages.  On the weekends, it powers my little cabin at some property I have. I even brought the window A/C from the cabin to the house so I'll be able to sleep in relative comfort without power.  More importantly than how I sleep, is how the wife sleeps.  Happy wife, Happy Life.

As far as maintenance, change the oil once in a while, use ethanol free gas, and that's pretty much it.  I spend more time in a year taking out the trash than I do performing maintenance on my generator.

I'll never be without at least a small generator, and I'm probably going to go ahead and get the EU2000i companion, so I won't have to worry about load management so much.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:44:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The liberals at work have already explained and educated me that Flo is a direct result of global warming which is a direct result of people being mean to nature...
View Quote
Already seen signs of that bulkshit on fb
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:44:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Florence is a big storm, and each eyewall replacement cycle seems to expand it's size outward, hence the strength of the winds in the outer bands.

Starting to look like Hurricane Ike in size and presentation.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If power out for days and weeks, you dont think a noisy gen set and house lite up like christmas tree wont draw attention ?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your AO may be different than where I live, but my place is mine and I do what I wish.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Sitting here in VA with a Uhaul trailer full of my garage contents since my waterfront garage likes to flood with the smallest storm surge.

I can load and go or stay with 240lbs of propane for my generator and another 20 gallons of fuel for my EU2000i knockoff. 20 cases of water and then 15gallons in water cooler jugs for my dogs. 4 chainsaws and enough climbing gear to get myself into a ton of trouble.
View Quote
Which EU2000i knock-off did you get?

I'm looking at this one as it is dual fuel and has USB out as well as being quiet.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sportsman-2-200-Watt-Dual-Fuel-Powered-Inverter-Generator/182844525834?epid=1066221538&hash=item2a92620d0a:g:VCwAAOSwridaDeb9:sc:FedExHomeDelivery

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:50:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
seriously, have you gone through some disasters, or been somewhere you have been out of power for extended periods of time?

you hear contractor type generators running all over the place.

besides, outside gangs or others, are going to be going to disaster areas, looking for homes where people have evacuated for easy hits, not necessarily occupied homes.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:54:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

seriously, have you gone through some disasters, or been somewhere you have been out of power for extended periods of time?

besides, outside gangs or others, are going to be going to disaster areas, looking for homes where people have evacuated for easy hits, not necessarily occupied homes.
View Quote
Hell even up here in the middle of hurricane "safe" country when the power goes out for a day or so there are loud portable generators running everywhere.  There are just as many houses with them running as there are dark houses.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:54:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yep, this man gets it. I like comfort and I'll be happy to get it with my generators regardless of gasoline costs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ran my generator for 7 days straight after a big storm several years ago.  I'd shut it down for a couple hours, check the oil and filters, refill, then power back up.  I was able to run my neighbors' furnace, TV, satellite receiver, and a few lights as well.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
NC - 39 ft.
SC - 26 ft.
GA - 19 ft.
View Quote
Those are open ocean wave heights, not the height of breakers at the beach. Waves break in a water depth about 1.3 times the height. For much of the southeast coast, a 30' wave might break 1/3 to 1/2 mile offshore. Typically, though waves simply diminish in size as they interact with the bottom in shallow water. Wave energy extends vertically through the water column. While the breakers will pound and erode the coast, there won't be 30' breakers slamming into houses.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:55:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
20 years in florida, so yea ive got a lil experience
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:55:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Truth. And about 3 days later you'll hear National Guard GenSets that sound like locomotives 24/7. Quiet inverter gens are very under the radar. Only in GD could we have folks denigrating generators with a friggin CAT4 on the way!

Just because I have MH chilli and mac doesn't mean I want to start off day 1 of no power by eating it!
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:56:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
I call it the Briggs and Stratton Symphony Orchestra.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:59:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Having a pallet of warm bottled water in the garage that can be cooled in the refrigerator, light to prep with after dark, and a fan while you sleep...are all nice to have wants but they will make the following week 100 times better for the person with that.  The cold water by itself, especially after busting your butt doing manual labor all day long, would be well worth it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:02:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
That does not seem like a good idea
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:06:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I call BS.

This has served me well...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/EU2000i-669071.JPG

Runs the router, APs, TV, a couple of lamps, a fan (or a small heater), a sump pump (if necessary) and a dorm sized fridge. It also keeps all phones/devices charged. Having those items up and running is a night and day difference vs. not having them during a power outage (especially if you have kids).
View Quote
You "want" those things, you don't "need" those things.  As far as food goes, well my fridge is not full of food that would go bad before I can cook it.  I am not concerned about food loss.  Preps should always include non-perishables, dried goods and canned goods.

The need on your list is a sump pump which I already acknowledged.  Jeeze, how could I charge my phone, computer etc?  The same way I do much of the time, my truck.  TV?  Meh, don't need or watch it much.

I have ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:08:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Just saw a report on TV.

There are many crews from Florida moving north to stage to help the people in the Carolinas.  Rescue, LE, power, aid etc.  Returning the favor for the help that the people of NC and SC provided last year for Irma.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:08:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
That is why I try to post the things the way I do.  I'm not affected by the storm where I'm at and I don't need to spend my day prepping or evacuating, so I use my time to compile the maps and post them every few pages so the people who scrambling to prep or evac have a quick way of finding the latest info.

For Irma I was posting traffic information from https://www.waze.com/livemap.  Traffic isn't as critical this time around as there are many more ways to get away in NC/SC than their is in FL.  But people will still wait until the last minute, accidents will happen, and there seems to be some road/lane closures to take into consideration.

I'm not sure what is going on between Charleston and Columbia, there are people traveling the road but it shows road/lane closures.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:08:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Some of us do.  Some of us have a freezer with several hundred rodents in it (snake food).  I am not explaining to a hungry 15 foot python that sorry, you are not eating for a month because I was stupid and didn't get a backup generator for the freezer that held your rabbits.
View Quote
Yep, you need a genny.  You have animals that count on you.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe @rktman26 is tired of living?

Attachment Attached File

I have room in Jax, FL.  Hmmmm.... apocalypse or A/C, a house with a roof, and electricity?
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:10:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Good images here

This gif auto-updates every few minutes:

https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES16/ABI/GIFS/GOES16-EUS-GEOCOLOR-1000x1000.gif

Nice BIG (5000x3000) satellite image from GOES16.  They do release new photos every 5 minutes.  Check out the URL and add or subtract 5 minutes to it to get more photos.

https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES16/ABI/CONUS/GEOCOLOR/20182551517_GOES16-ABI-CONUS-GEOCOLOR-5000x3000.jpg
View Quote
Amazingly destructive and mind bogglingly beautiful all at once.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#49]
If you have a big enough generator to let your neighbor run a line to it so his family is a bit more comfortable, you also have someone to help you keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't grow legs and wander off while you sleep.

The last big storm we had come through, we ran the generator for four days straight.  The damage to the area wasn't bad enough to prevent people in areas with little/no damage from driving in and looting what they could from homes where people had bugged out.  So, between us and the neighbors we slept in shifts to ensure that 1) everyone got enough sleep, and 2) there was always an armed adult awake and aware 24/7.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:11:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Says a guy that has his water pumped and shit pumped by a state municipality.

Bad advice Sir!
View Quote
My shit is my problem, my water is gravity fed and yes municipal.  I pay for the service.  The municipality has put back up power at each water tower.

If I pumped from a well on my property, I would need a genny.
Page / 82
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top